Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E08: My Bad Parts

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

She does have a record of gang activity.

Depending on how the Deputy Mayor reacted to Andre's blackmail threats, she may still have pending charges.

If Cookie is anything to go by, then Carol leaving the kids with "safe" Auntie Candice is very much an extreme step and I am a) worried for Carol and b) wondering what got her to that state. I don't think one head would be leave-the-kids-with-family major. Are we going to meet whoever took over Frank's operation?

I just want to comment to those who say that Cookie is favoring Jamal over Hakeem that it isn't true.  She gushes over Jamal because she has to sneak around to even see him, let alone mentor him.  She was closest to him and misses him, but she loves all of her sons.  When Hakeem called in the mommy card last season, she fought Jamal to let Hakeem have his way.  I think the fact that she slapped the crap out of her new boo in defense of Hakeem was the show telling us that she'll die and kill for ALL of her boys.

Cookie explained to Hakeem that she's closer to Jamal because she KNOWs him more than her other sons. Which makes sense, as it appears that Jamal was the only person she remain in contact while she was locked up. Andre was off to college, and Hakeem was barely walking when she got sent away, so before she was released, he know nothing about his mother.

Oh, Lee.  I don't like where you're going with Anika.  Bring back the self-assured, cool yet calculating BBK that we all know and love!

• Love 4

I keep waiting for some big reveal about Lucious and his mother, since they're dropping bread crumbs the size of anvils in these flashbacks. Either there's some twist involving her death--like that young Lucious killed her--or we're going to find out she's still alive and committed somewhere.

Other than that, I was glad to see some good music tonight. I haven't been feeling it this season so far.

I've been reading up on the Pepsi collaboration, and it's quite a coup for the show. I'm tired of most commercials, so I'm happy to see companies exploring different ways to get their messages across, and I'm glad they chose this diverse show. But mostly, I'm glad that no big deal was made of Jamal being gay. Plus, having been involved with many events that relied on sponsorship and knowing that the opportunity is crucial for many entertainers these days, I thought the whole Pepsi thing was handled really organically. I remember one nonprofit event I did where we we so happy when Target contacted us with a sponsorship offer -- it was like manna falling from the sky. So I got a kick out of the Pepsi people and the enthusiasm around the whole thing.

One of the things I like most about Empire -- that probably many other people don't like -- is how it makes such an effort to set itself in the real world. Empire doesn't exist, but the show acts like it really does by incorporating lots of indicia of hip hop culture. So I love that Lucifer says, "Dre has beats, Jay has Tidal, and Empire will have Steamstream (or whatever)." It gives him an underlying motivation that's tied to the accomplishments of current moguls in this industry. And I also love stuff like Funkmaster Flex DJ'ing the rap battle, because such an event by a major record company would of course have someone like him involved, and the artists getting interviewed by Sway. That's what would really happen with artists today. Also Timbaland showing up to back up Hakeem when he crashed Jamal and Pitbull's performance the other episode is another example. Timbaland is exactly the producer who would cameo to take a rapper in his crew to the next level when it matters. During that scene, all I could hear was Timbaland on Aaliyah's track, "It's been a long time / I shouldn't of left you / without a dope beat to step to." lol

Of course, it sort of backfires in trying to convince us that Lucifer is the Ice Cube of gangsta rap. They don't have the leeway on network television to go there, so it's all a bit silly. But I like how Terrence sells it.

On another note, I found out why Jamal is singing so much. Apparently, his music was the most popular in sales from last season, and they're working him like a real income stream.

Edited by tmelange
  • Love 8

I quite enjoyed it. The writers have done such a good job of shaping Hakeem. Everything he does makes sense to me. 

I am quite impatient with the eventual Mimi reveal. It better be deserving of the wait. I wonder who her lover is--Luscious' mom who's still alive? Vernon's young, hot sister or daughter who we never heard about? Raven Simone? 

• Love 1

I liked Cookie letting Laz the slime all know whose side she will always choose, crazy-hot sex or not.

Loved seeing Hakeem and Jamal as brothers again.

Not seeing the chemistry between Hakeem and new girl.

I know others like them, but I don't care for Boo Boo Kitty or Rhonda (I'm calling it now, that baby ain't Andre's). If she was pregnant when Luscious went to jail and he was In for four months and we say two months (at a minimum) has passed since his release, how is she just showing. She should be nearing the end of the pregnancy. But back to my point, I think both Rhonda and Annika lift right out of the show -- I never think of either character when they are not on screen, and I don't think much of them while on screen.

The Big Bad Lyon is clearly getting played and set up for the kill, but he's such a hateful monster, he doesn't see it coming.

I'm shocked that Hakeem won, never thought much of his rap skills until this episode. I'm glad he didn't stoop to Feeda's level with the slams on his mother and brother. I mean she talked a lot of ish, but her daddy was a drug kingpin, so she is not really about that life either because the Gathers name always protected her, so aside from the locale, and all that mouth she pops, Freda is the female Hakeem. At the end of the day, that is how Hakeem was able to take her, he got beyond the fake lifestyle and delivered straight fun that paid homage to beat and allowed him to become his own man while Feda revealed herself to be littler more than Luscious' puppet.

I think we are getting to much Luscious this season. Without the specter of death surrounding him, we are just getting non-stop evil asshole.

• Love 2

So glad that Hakeem slayed Freda and her random, never-ending supply of belly shirts.

I called a BooBoo Kitty pregnancy after she slept with Hakeem last season so I was just a little late with the timing.

Vivica=overacting.

Cookie calling Hakeem a snitch-bitch. Hahaha. That was perfect.

• Love 1

Is the Fall of the "Empire" Upon Us?
11/20/2015

By Jamaal D. Pittman, Contributing Writer

Remember the good old days when Fox's Empire was must-see TV? Well, you should, considering that it was only a few short months ago. It seems the show's production team didn’t receive the same memo we did thatEmpire was a highly anticipated, critical and commercial hit with an instantly green-lit 2nd season. Memos sometimes get lost in the mail, so I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt for now. It's getting harder to ignore, however, that the series has been struggling to find its groove since its return in September. Not since Desperate Housewives—a former ABC comedy-drama with a landmark 1st season—do I recall such a drastic sophomore slump. Don’t get me wrong; Housewives had flashes of brilliance throughout its 8-year run, but it never quite regained its footing after its game changer of a debut. The final 7 years were spent limping towards the finish line, and by the time the celebratory tape was crossed, no one really cared. So, in regards to Empire, who's experiencing a similar second-season jinx, let’s invoke the spirit of TLC’s Left Eye for this all-important question: How can a show achieve such massive success out of the gate and then fall off so quickly? Well, I’ve got 3 compelling answers, so get ready to do your math.

Misuse of Talent
Somewhere along the way, the show developed a frustrating penchant for underutilizing its core talent, often to prop up guest stars in meaningless, if not boring, roles. Yes, we all know that Taraji P. Henson, Terrence Howard, and their respective characters are exceptional, but there are gifted cast-members who aren't being properly used. Trai Byers’ turn as Andre Lyon can be powerful, layered and riveting, as long as the writers remember to give him something — anything — to do, besides be a pawn in Lucious’ game. Grace Gealey’s Anika, season 1’s standout supporting antagonist, has been reduced to a not-so-glorified extra, strapped to a whipping post as the writers invent shameful new ways to humiliate her. When she’s not twerking for deals, this supposedly savvy businesswoman is playing eager side piece to a 20-year-old rapper. I’ve lost count of how many literal and figurative doors “Boo Boo Kitty” has had slammed in her face this season, and she hasn’t even been on much. While I understand that villains are sometimes softened to be more endearing over the course of a show’s run, Anika seems to have undergone a full-on lobotomy. She’s hardly recognizable and the fire that made her so compelling as the girl we all loved to hate has been extinguished. Gealey has ability far beyond the material she’s received as of late, and it’s a shame that it's being wasted.

Payoffs That Fall Flat
Intriguing developments are resolved too quickly on this show, and their impact is forgotten within a few episodes. For example, the season 1 finale highlighted the murder of Vernon Turner and the arrest of Lucious Lyon. For any other series, that would've set up several compelling story arcs for the next season. Oh, but not Empire. Just a few episodes into season 2, Lucious uses extortion to secure his release, and Vernon’s corpse is used for shock value and slapstick humor, as its placed in a district attorney's car to scare the heebie-jeebies out of her. Empire is often referred to as a soap opera, but one of its fundamental problems is the absence of continuity and fluidity between episodes. The show could benefit greatly from employing the best tactics from every soap playbook: make the story build, make the people wait, and make the payoff worth it.

Sacrificing Character for Plot
Empire has also been victim to what has brought many a show to its knees: ignoring character history solely to advance the plot. The show’s been so guilty of it this season that it almost plays like repertory theater, with characters swapping personalities at a rate that most people change underwear. The idea that headstrong, tough-as-nails Cookie would be so quickly trusting of a new beau (i.e. event promoter/secret gang member Laz Delgado, portrayed by Adam Rodriguez) is unrealistic, along with receiving cautionary advice from her youngest son, Hakeem (Bryshere Y. Gray). Yes, the impulsive, reactionary and self-serving Hakeem is the voice of reason here. Poor Jamal (Jussie Smollett) hasn’t fared any better either. In the span of 4 or 5 episodes, he raced through an arc that would take most TV characters years: from sensible and kind, to dark and calculating (as much as Jamal can be), to sensible and kind again. Who knows? Maybe we’re in store for a bigFight Club-like reveal for the season finale: we’ll find out Jamal is the one who’s really bipolar and Andre isn’t real, existing only as part of Jamal’s split personality. No? Well, sorry for getting your hopes up. You have to admit that would have been an epic spoiler alert, though.

All of this brings us to an even bigger question: Has the Empire fallen for good? No, not by a long-shot. Despite obvious flaws, the series has all the ingredients to be appointment viewing again, so it would be a bit premature and just plain foolish to draw up its epitaph now. Empire is very young and still one of the highest-rated programs on TV, which means there’s plenty of time to reverse course and right the ship. Let’s just hope it happens while we’re still onboard.

Source: http://www.jsaysonline.com/entertain...empire-upon-us

• Love 1

^^I agree with parts of the above article, but I don't think its all that dramatic.  And I feel like they have a plan for BBK....I've said for a while that all that rejection is going to make her go scorched earth on the entire Lyon family, and it looks like its starting to happen.

• Love 4

These doom-and-gloom predictions about Empire really baffle me, as does certain people's sideline view of what the writers should do. Complain about how quickly Lucifer got out of jail? Well, he was in there for months, and it's not feasible to keep him in there during the season. The best parts of Empire are Cookie and Lucifer being in the same room. You can't have that with Lucifer off in his own box in jail. I thought they handled the Vernon/Lucifer storyline great: the murder was revealed, the body got dug up, Cookie's hit from last season came to fruition, Lucifer got out of jail, Thirsty got introduced to replace Vernon, and Andre and Rhonda were worked in significantly. To top that, the threat from Gathers gave the audience key scenes of Cookie and Lucifer and the entire Lyon family pulling together. What more could people want?

I've said before that Empire's only real problem is that it now has too many characters that people want to see all the time with deep storylines. Focus on Cookie, Lucifer and Hakeem, and people are asking where's Porsha, Tiana and Rhonda. All of these actors are great and deserve whatever time they can get, but it is what it is. Also, this show is operating on a different income model than an ordinary soap opera. Look! Season 2's album is already out. Storylines are going to suffer because the music must have its time. That's the show. 

As for Anika: I don't think what we saw of her in S1 defined her as some BOSS diva who can't have the kind of breakdown she's having now. What we saw was a very well-dressed woman who was smart, but who was also sleeping with her boss. A woman who allowed his catting around per her mom. A woman who was so insecure that she had to come out of her bedroom in her drawers just because her boyfriend's ex-con ex-wife stopped by. A woman who ultimately slept with her fiancee's youngest son, and thought that was a rational way to get back at Lucifer that didn't demean herself. So...Anika. I can see her falling apart. Getting to a privileged position in the record industry for a woman is not easy, and with no references and the underlying odor of Lucifer having given her the position she had, she could easily be in crisis. Plus, she was being told all along that Empire was Lucifer and her, if you remember some of their earlier interactions. I'd surely be a bit devastated if it all fell apart.

I know I'd lose my mind if some kid that should be happy to be sleeping with me tells me he loves some little girl and says we're still "homies." Homies? I got your homie, bitch. LOL

Anyway, I think S2 of Empire is moving along nicely. Is it quite as mind-blowing as S1? No, it can't be. We know what to expect now, and we're settled in. But the show still delivers IMO.

• Love 9

Is the Fall of the "Empire" Upon Us?

11/20/2015

By Jamaal D. Pittman, Contributing Writer

Remember the good old days when Fox's Empire was must-see TV? Well, you should, considering that it was only a few short months ago. It seems the show's production team didn’t receive the same memo we did thatEmpire was a highly anticipated, critical and commercial hit with an instantly green-lit 2nd season. Memos sometimes get lost in the mail, so I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt for now. It's getting harder to ignore, however, that the series has been struggling to find its groove since its return in September. Not since Desperate Housewives—a former ABC comedy-drama with a landmark 1st season—do I recall such a drastic sophomore slump. Don’t get me wrong; Housewives had flashes of brilliance throughout its 8-year run, but it never quite regained its footing after its game changer of a debut. The final 7 years were spent limping towards the finish line, and by the time the celebratory tape was crossed, no one really cared. So, in regards to Empire, who's experiencing a similar second-season jinx, let’s invoke the spirit of TLC’s Left Eye for this all-important question: How can a show achieve such massive success out of the gate and then fall off so quickly? Well, I’ve got 3 compelling answers, so get ready to do your math.

Misuse of Talent

Somewhere along the way, the show developed a frustrating penchant for underutilizing its core talent, often to prop up guest stars in meaningless, if not boring, roles. Yes, we all know that Taraji P. Henson, Terrence Howard, and their respective characters are exceptional, but there are gifted cast-members who aren't being properly used. Trai Byers’ turn as Andre Lyon can be powerful, layered and riveting, as long as the writers remember to give him something — anything — to do, besides be a pawn in Lucious’ game. Grace Gealey’s Anika, season 1’s standout supporting antagonist, has been reduced to a not-so-glorified extra, strapped to a whipping post as the writers invent shameful new ways to humiliate her. When she’s not twerking for deals, this supposedly savvy businesswoman is playing eager side piece to a 20-year-old rapper. I’ve lost count of how many literal and figurative doors “Boo Boo Kitty” has had slammed in her face this season, and she hasn’t even been on much. While I understand that villains are sometimes softened to be more endearing over the course of a show’s run, Anika seems to have undergone a full-on lobotomy. She’s hardly recognizable and the fire that made her so compelling as the girl we all loved to hate has been extinguished. Gealey has ability far beyond the material she’s received as of late, and it’s a shame that it's being wasted.

Payoffs That Fall Flat

Intriguing developments are resolved too quickly on this show, and their impact is forgotten within a few episodes. For example, the season 1 finale highlighted the murder of Vernon Turner and the arrest of Lucious Lyon. For any other series, that would've set up several compelling story arcs for the next season. Oh, but not Empire. Just a few episodes into season 2, Lucious uses extortion to secure his release, and Vernon’s corpse is used for shock value and slapstick humor, as its placed in a district attorney's car to scare the heebie-jeebies out of her. Empire is often referred to as a soap opera, but one of its fundamental problems is the absence of continuity and fluidity between episodes. The show could benefit greatly from employing the best tactics from every soap playbook: make the story build, make the people wait, and make the payoff worth it.

Sacrificing Character for Plot

Empire has also been victim to what has brought many a show to its knees: ignoring character history solely to advance the plot. The show’s been so guilty of it this season that it almost plays like repertory theater, with characters swapping personalities at a rate that most people change underwear. The idea that headstrong, tough-as-nails Cookie would be so quickly trusting of a new beau (i.e. event promoter/secret gang member Laz Delgado, portrayed by Adam Rodriguez) is unrealistic, along with receiving cautionary advice from her youngest son, Hakeem (Bryshere Y. Gray). Yes, the impulsive, reactionary and self-serving Hakeem is the voice of reason here. Poor Jamal (Jussie Smollett) hasn’t fared any better either. In the span of 4 or 5 episodes, he raced through an arc that would take most TV characters years: from sensible and kind, to dark and calculating (as much as Jamal can be), to sensible and kind again. Who knows? Maybe we’re in store for a bigFight Club-like reveal for the season finale: we’ll find out Jamal is the one who’s really bipolar and Andre isn’t real, existing only as part of Jamal’s split personality. No? Well, sorry for getting your hopes up. You have to admit that would have been an epic spoiler alert, though.

All of this brings us to an even bigger question: Has the Empire fallen for good? No, not by a long-shot. Despite obvious flaws, the series has all the ingredients to be appointment viewing again, so it would be a bit premature and just plain foolish to draw up its epitaph now. Empire is very young and still one of the highest-rated programs on TV, which means there’s plenty of time to reverse course and right the ship. Let’s just hope it happens while we’re still onboard.

Source: http://www.jsaysonline.com/entertain...empire-upon-us

This entire article is spot on. They introduced and then glossed over so many elements in both seasons one and two which could've created very interesting long-term story arcs. Edited by Syndicate
  • Love 2

I just watched this episode, and I love it.

Jamal:

this is his first solo song that I love this season. the beats from Cookie and Luscious were great, but Luscious' beat was a little better, but it was more suited for a rap song than Jamal's song. I don't like that he used the two, he should have just used Cookie's.

Luscious:

you are such a fool, how can humiliating your son in front of the whole world bring him closer to you? that is so stupid, and it doesn't make sense. its just a way for the writers to shoehorn a rap battle into the episode. don't get me wrong, the rap battle was my favorite part of the episode, but it still doesn't make sense for Luscious to do that.

Cookie:

I've been saying this since last season, if the show is trying to convince me that Cookie loves her sons equally, I'm not buying it. last season, she was actively trying to steal focus away from Hakeem for Jamal, and the show did not show her being there for Andre except for when he was in the institution. This episode it was so glaring. Hakeem's career and Lyon dynasty was on the line and she kept slipping off to help Jamal. I'm not saying she shouldn't, but it is concerning that the writers couldn't show her working with Hakeem till he practically had to beg her to support him, even when she helped, it played more like she couldn't wait to be out of there. Have we ever seen her visit Andre? if the show is acknowledging this, I would have no complaint and will enjoy watching it all come to head, but they are playing it like she have no favorite. the way I see it, she only teamed up with Hakeem because she needed him as the star of the new company, she have shown no interest in his career except for when they needed him recording new songs so that Lyon dynasty would get a buzz and compete against empire. no encouraging him, no producing his album, none of the things she dose for Jamal. of course she loves her sons, but it looks like she cares more about Jamal's career. Ironically luscious is shown to care about Hakeem music more than cookie, only that he also wants to control him.

Andre: nothing this episode

Anika: the only reason I care about the pregnancy is that I can't wait to see Cookie's reaction

Tiana: this is ridiculous, bring Tiana back, she should have been there supporting Hakeem

Laura: I love her, and I think she has chemistry with Hakeem

Hakeem: I love that he won because he is a performer. anything else would have not been believable. just last week I made a comment that Freda is a good rapper same as Hakeem, but Hakeem have the added advantage of being a stage performer. when I saw Yazz and Jussie perform at the billboard awards and American Idol, I was surprised at how at home he was on stage.

Overall I love this episode and can't wait for everyone to learn about the pregnancy.

• Love 2

I don't know why it is that every time I use paragraphs while posting here, they don't show up, please how do i rectify this?

Anyways I get some of the complaint in the above article, but the only part I really agree with is Trai. the guy is the best actor among the the brothers, but the show doesn't care about his character, such a shame.

Edited by Grace19

tmelange -- I think this is what people tend to do with any show that has had a super successful first season.  And I don't know if its a self-fulfilling prophecy.  Critics get harsh, and people stop watching because now they think there is some gigantic problem...or if there is simply a natural drop-off and critics try to find a way to explain it.  When something is new and shiny its always going to lose its wondrous luster after  a while.  This show skyrocketed last year, but there is no way it could stay that way forever.  Could the writers do a little better?  Yes.  Is this show a disaster?  No.  This is pretty much the same show from last year, and I think its great for what it is.  It's basically a nighttime soap, its escapist TV.  But than again, I watched Desperate Housewives and enjoyed every single season, and I think that show did great in almost every season....it was a good show.  Not every show needs to be Downton Abbey (which people also complained bitterly about in seasons 2 and 3)

• Love 4

Pepsi is paying 20 million for this storyline. It is set for 3 episodes plush commercials.   Product placement in the extreme!

dang -- why am I paying $1.99 to watch an episode when Pepsi is paying almost 7 million an episode!?

• Love 2

Andre has a number of storylines, but because they're not musical per se, they don't seem as prominent. He's has the pregnancy, going back to Empire, the revelation of the Vernon murder, the baptism, running Gutter Life, and sitting in on this new merger. The person who doesn't have a lot of storyline is Jamal. His basic storyline is the promotion of his career and singing 3 songs an episode. 

What I think is a missed opportunity with Andre is his bipolar disorder. That storyline tanked last season to spotlight Jennifer Hudson, and it never really reached its potential for such an important issue. This season, he's back on his meds...but again the issue has changed to why Lucifer can't take his mental disorder instead of focusing on Andre.

• Love 4

I agree with the writer above that it's a pretty extreme sophomore slump.  I guess it depends what you value in a show.  I think the sets and clothes and music and actors are all quite fun.  The writing is pretty mediocre this season.

These doom-and-gloom predictions about Empire really baffle me, as does certain people's sideline view of what the writers should do. Complain about how quickly Lucifer got out of jail? Well, he was in there for months, and it's not feasible to keep him in there during the season. The best parts of Empire are Cookie and Lucifer being in the same room. You can't have that with Lucifer off in his own box in jail. I thought they handled the Vernon/Lucifer storyline great: the murder was revealed, the body got dug up, Cookie's hit from last season came to fruition, Lucifer got out of jail, Thirsty got introduced to replace Vernon, and Andre and Rhonda were worked in significantly. To top that, the threat from Gathers gave the audience key scenes of Cookie and Lucifer and the entire Lyon family pulling together. What more could people want?

I've said before that Empire's only real problem is that it now has too many characters that people want to see all the time with deep storylines. Focus on Cookie, Lucifer and Hakeem, and people are asking where's Porsha, Tiana and Rhonda. All of these actors are great and deserve whatever time they can get, but it is what it is. Also, this show is operating on a different income model than an ordinary soap opera. Look! Season 2's album is already out. Storylines are going to suffer because the music must have its time. That's the show. 

As for Anika: I don't think what we saw of her in S1 defined her as some BOSS diva who can't have the kind of breakdown she's having now. What we saw was a very well-dressed woman who was smart, but who was also sleeping with her boss. A woman who allowed his catting around per her mom. A woman who was so insecure that she had to come out of her bedroom in her drawers just because her boyfriend's ex-con ex-wife stopped by. A woman who ultimately slept with her fiancee's youngest son, and thought that was a rational way to get back at Lucifer that didn't demean herself. So...Anika. I can see her falling apart. Getting to a privileged position in the record industry for a woman is not easy, and with no references and the underlying odor of Lucifer having given her the position she had, she could easily be in crisis. Plus, she was being told all along that Empire was Lucifer and her, if you remember some of their earlier interactions. I'd surely be a bit devastated if it all fell apart.

I know I'd lose my mind if some kid that should be happy to be sleeping with me tells me he loves some little girl and says we're still "homies." Homies? I got your homie, bitch. LOL

Anyway, I think S2 of Empire is moving along nicely. Is it quite as mind-blowing as S1? No, it can't be. We know what to expect now, and we're settled in. But the show still delivers IMO.

Thank you!

• Love 3

I really disliked that long multicolored jacket thing that Cookie was wearing in Jamal's live session. It looked horrible to me. Does anyone know what happened with Cookie's wardrobe this season? Does she no longer have access to Timbaland's wife's closet? It's been so hit-or-miss for me this season.

• Love 2

I really disliked that long multicolored jacket thing that Cookie was wearing in Jamal's live session. It looked horrible to me. Does anyone know what happened with Cookie's wardrobe this season? Does she no longer have access to Timbaland's wife's closet? It's been so hit-or-miss for me this season.

There was someone who mentioned that they changed costume designers this season.  And I specifically remember an article in which someone said they were really going to "push the envelope" with Cookie's wardrobe in season 2 and feature newer designers.  At first I was interested, but now I realize that a) pushing the envelope often just means clothing that has never been worn because it should never be worn and b) its probably a way for someone to make money selling clothing, getting free designer stuff, or getting a designer to get paid some sort of "appearance fee" because there is no other way to explain Cookie's wardrobe other than some sort of hustle.

The dress underneath wasn't bad, I don't know why she didn't just wear the dress.  The jacket over was too busy.

• Love 2

I agree with the writer above that it's a pretty extreme sophomore slump. I guess it depends what value in a show. I think the sets and clothes and music and actors are all quite fun. The writing is pretty mediocre this season.

I like how you say that it depends on what one values in a show. No one is particularly wrong on either side of the fence. If you're satisfied with the show moving at a rapid pace and not spending much time on any plot, then you will happily continue to embrace the status quo. But if you want the show to tell a good long-running story and develop the characters on a deeper level, then this won't be very interesting to those who want that. I think I'm mostly critical of this show because TPTB keep referring to this show as a soap opera. As someone who's watched both daytime and nighttime soap operas for many years, I'm used to the building storylines that those soaps provided. Empire is not doing this. I think TPTB should just start calling the show what it really is: A variety show.

I loved Hakeem in this ep, but that comment was so ridiculous. But so so Hakeem.

Edited by Gillian Rosh
  • Love 2

I was glad they didn't have Anika think Hakeem was in love with her.  

I don't really understand why she was telling him, until after Rhonda suggested it'd be catnip to Lucious, I mean.  I would expect her to be the sort of tough, pragmatic woman who'd just call her doctor and arrange to have the pregnancy terminated.  I mean, he's practically her stepson. What did she think was going to happen?  She'd raise Lucious' grandchild with Lucious and Hakeem would just be ok with it?  I guess he could but does Anika really want to stoop that low for asshole Lucious?  Why she hasn't ditched the whole clan, I have no idea.

Cookie explained to Hakeem that she's closer to Jamal because she KNOWs him more than her other sons. Which makes sense, as it appears that Jamal was the only person she remain in contact while she was locked up. Andre was off to college, and Hakeem was barely walking when she got sent away, so before she was released, he know nothing about his mother.

Oh, Lee.  I don't like where you're going with Anika.  Bring back the self-assured, cool yet calculating BBK that we all know and love!

Does Lee Daniels not approve Real life BBk and Real LIfe Andre being engaged? Seems like he's punishing her and/or has some clause where they can not be in the same scenes together. Hence, not as many scenes this season and she was kicked out of Empire and then Cookie's company when Andre was hanging around there.

I really liked seeing Anika and Rhonda have a scene together. I feel like both women have been sidelined when they were important parts of Season 1. Rhonda had a career, connived along with Andre and even had scenes with Cookie. Now - nothing. AND what the hell is she pregnant or not? Do the show people know how pregnancies work?? 

I enjoyed the episode overall. My favorite part was Hakeem destroying the LYON and dropping it from his name. Take that, Dad Luscious.

That scene with Lil' Luscious sleeping outside should have been sad. But I was distracted because there is no way a child could sleep outside Chicago's infamous Art Institute Museum lions and be unnoticed. In NY maybe, but I used to work across the street from that amazing museum and that would not happen. Poor kid, though.

Edited by shoetingstar
  • Love 1

That scene with Lil' Luscious sleeping outside should have been sad. But I was distracted because there is no way a child could sleep outside Chicago's infamous Art Institute Museum lions and be unnoticed. In NY maybe, but I used to work across the street from that amazing museum and that would not happen. Poor kid, though.

I don't know how old Lucifer is supposed to be in that scene, but he looks young. I dare say even in these vicious times, there's no way a child would be sleeping on the sidewalk like that. Not even in NYC.

• Love 1

Another little moment I loved on this ep was when Lucious and Cookie showed up to hear Jamal perform the Pepsi song and immediately started bickering. Jamal's exasperated "I swear to god, I'm not doin' this with y'all today" was hilarious.

I cracked up when Cookie kept putting her shoes in Lucifer's face, then he threatens, "Go ahead, put your shoes in my face again." lol I've been part of an interaction like that in the past. It was such a typical thing for a guy to say.

• Love 3

They may film in Chicago. But the show does not take place in Chicago. Cookie and Lucious are from Philly and live in NYC. So i think its more likely that it supposed to be the streets of Philly

• Love 1

I am not feeling Anika's story in any way, shape, or form. There is enough drama with with the immediate Lyon family members. Her story and character just don't fit in.

This was the first episode I noticed a baby bump on Rhonda so I guess she really is pregnant.

Totally loved the rap battle my only complain was that is was too short!

The family scenes are the best on this show, loved the happiness after Jamal got the Pepsi deal and of course I always love the brothers' scenes together.

Cookie slapping Laz into next week was everything. DO NOT mess with this woman's children.

I love Vivica!

• Love 1

They may film in Chicago. But the show does not take place in Chicago. Cookie and Lucious are from Philly and live in NYC. So i think its more likely that it supposed to be the streets of Philly

They absolutely film in Chicago.  My BF and I visited Chicago, and visited the exact same location where Laura did her singing.  We both have pictures in front of that mural.  I was so confused when I saw that mural and that clock because they looked so familiar and sure enough, I pulled up the pictures of he and I in front of it.

• Love 1

Re Ms Carroll, I think that she is having comprehension issues i.e. forgetfulness. She was supposed to be starring in A Raisin in the Sun on Broadway but had to back out. I may be wrong, but I did hear that. I hope I'm wrong. She really is a legendary kind of talent who could have been insanely famous if she were born 20-30 years later. 

She would be phenomenal as Cookie's mom.

There was someone who mentioned that they changed costume designers this season.  And I specifically remember an article in which someone said they were really going to "push the envelope" with Cookie's wardrobe in season 2 and feature newer designers.  At first I was interested, but now I realize that a) pushing the envelope often just means clothing that has never been worn because it should never be worn and b) its probably a way for someone to make money selling clothing, getting free designer stuff, or getting a designer to get paid some sort of "appearance fee" because there is no other way to explain Cookie's wardrobe other than some sort of hustle.

The dress underneath wasn't bad, I don't know why she didn't just wear the dress.  The jacket over was too busy.

This is a shame. The costume designer for S1 was superior. Empire sold out. I haven't tried to look up her wardrobe at all this season and last season I was all over everything she wore. I still remember that wrap red animal print dress and boots she rocked. The new wardrobe designer could take a lesson about high-low mixing. Right now Cookie's outfits are boring because you know they are designer so you are supposed to "care", but they are not interesting and really don't do much for her in most cases.

I cannot believe they got rid of the wardrobe designer after the successful year she had dressing Cookie. Idiots.

• Love 5

My verdict:  Still good. This show is almost as crazy as Lucius is, but I actually like  it most of the time, unlike Lucius. Speaking of whom, Lucius' attempts to start a streaming music service, to use Freda Gatz to hurt Hakeem and his constant undermining of Andre all backfired or soon will, in one way or another, which serves him right. Lucius' going partner with Mimi on the Slipstream deal despite Andre & Thirsty's warnings, gambling with the family's future in the process, is a disaster begging to happen. Then again, that's to be expected from a megalomaniac multi-millionaire who had the nerve to tell someone who just as rich, if not richer than him, to "watch [her] tone." Lucius' siccing Freda on Hakeem to publically humiliate him despite what Hakeem's been through is yet another example of Lucius' shitty parenting. Hakeem's dealing with one of the worst experiences of his life-or rather, not dealing with it-and he didn't need Lucius & Freda making things worse. At least Cookie, Jamal & Andre supported Hakeem when he needed them most, which boosted his confidence, helping him win the rap battle with Freda. Hakeem's distrust of Laz proves that he's got more sense than Laz thinks. So does Cookie, for that matter, hence her smacking Laz for getting into a shoving match with Hakeem. Hakeem's taking things slowly with Laura is another example of Hakeem's good judgment. In the past, Hakeem hooked up with women for the wrong reasons, whether it was Tiana for his career, Camilla for his mommy issues or with Annika because of his daddy issues, but Laura is different. Laura's a sweet, pretty, talented  & innocent girl who truly cares for Hakeem and vice versa. They're good together, professionally & personally. However, there are those who are all too willing to use Laura's strengths against her. Case in point: the newly-pregnant Anika, who abducted an unsuspecting Laura from Hakeem's after party, which was fucked-up, to say the least. Anika may not know how to tell Hakeem about the pregnancy, but that's not Laura's fault.

Anika may be going through a hard time, but that doesn't give her the right to take it out on Laura. Anika is just as much to blame for her current predicament as Hakeem. Anika not only had unprotected sex with a teenage boy, it was with her ex-fiancé's youngest son. Anika may be bonding with Rhonda now, gut just because Rhonda said that babies are Lucius' so-called "kryptonite," that doesn't mean it's true, by a long shot. Hakeem, Lucius & Cooke will be furious, to say the least, but using Laura will make things worse. If Anika keeps pulling crazy shit, then not only will she suffer, the pregnancy will suffer too, if not end.

Music-wise, Hakeem deserved to win the rap battle, beating both Freda & Lucius in the process. Hakeem's crushing Freda was awesome enough, but literally destroying his last name in front of Lucius was the icing on the cake. Lucius' ego has gotten more out-of-control than ever & it was about time both were cut down to size, however briefly, and if it took Hakeem and a sledgehammer to do it, then so be it. Loved Jamal's jingle because it epitomizes the spirit of his upcoming album, as in using Lucius & Cookie as influences. That Jamal refused to let Lucius & Cookie ruin his big moment was one of the highlights of the episode, like the song itself.

Cookie & her sister Candace brought the drama, whether it was about each other or their sister Carol, who, as always, is much more trouble than she's worth.

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 3

I've been up and down on this season, but I loved this episode because it focused so much on family. This was exactly what I was hoping for when Lyon Dynasty was formed: intra-family conflict where personal spills over into business. Jamal producing his song with both Cookie and Lucious and forcing them to work together was great (and their bet was classic Lucious and Cookie). Hakeem being challenged to a rap battle by essentially his father (via daddy's new protege) and ending with Hakeem dropping his last name was amazing. Even Boo Boo Kitty coming back pregnant (!!!) and having a scene with Rhonda. It was all that messy mashup of business and familial relationships that feuding family businesses should be. None of this "I steal this singer from you and shut down your recording session." This was in-your-face drama, and I loved every second of it.

Mimi continues to not quite fit in, but I think that's deliberate. Still, it's too bad -- I thought Creedmoor did a better job at integrating into the fabric of the show. There's something still very remote about Mimi that takes me out of the action whenever she's onscreen. It's like I don't believe she's who she says she is. Again, I'm hoping that's deliberate.

• Love 2