Type keyword(s) to search

Love in the Time of Walkers: Relationships in The Walking Dead

• Start Topic

This really is probably one of the funniest scenes on the show, first they get caught by Jesus, then by Carl and then by the whole gang. It was so funny from the beginning of the scene, both Rick and Michonne running out of the room half naked and seeing Carl there and Rick is like "OH SHIT" and looks around for Michonne and the look on Michonne's face is priceless. Both Rick and Michonne are looking around wondering WTH, they did not even get to enjoy the afterglow of a beautiful night of love and passion, and forget morning sex, Jesus took care of that. I always crack up at that scene. I am pretty sure they knew people were going to find out but they did not think it was going to be like this. They had to know that by breakfast the whole town was going to find out, LOL!!! I love it!!

ROFLMBO!!!  There was zero down low for them.  And poor, private Michonne shrivelling under Carl's glare.  Man she couldn't WAIT to get out of Alexandria.

• Love 2

ROFLMBO!!!  There was zero down low for them.  And poor, private Michonne shrivelling under Carl's glare.  Man she couldn't WAIT to get out of Alexandria.

Poor Michonne. On the plus side, it was kind of sweet that everyone was so worried about them that they went barreling into their house. Not that Michonne could be expected to appreciate that under the circumstances.

I also liked Jesus referring to Michonne as Carl's mom. Aw.

• Love 1

That whole opening sequence up to and including the tableside chat is one of my favorites in Season 6B. It made me laugh and giggle multiple times and I've watched that part more times than I'd care to admit. ;)

Aw, I didn't read Carl's side eye as a glare. For me it was more of a smirk, like, "Sooo, you and my dad, huh? Heh heh, right on." I think he approved. He just found out in a most inopportune way. LOL

• Love 5

Aw, I didn't read Carl's side eye as a glare. For me it was more of a smirk, like, "Sooo, you and my dad, huh? Heh heh, right on." I think he approved. He just found out in a most inopportune way. LOL

Honestly, if Judith wasn't there, I think Rick would of given him all the details. "It just happened.....last night." Ehhhh. Just stop, Rick.

• Love 2

Honestly, if Judith wasn't there, I think Rick would of given him all the details. "It just happened.....last night." Ehhhh. Just stop, Rick.

That was hilarious, and so awkward.

Okay, you can do this. After all we've been through, Carl's a man now. You owe it to him to be up front and honest. He needs to understand this wasn't just a booty call. "Michonne and I...I was...this is different...I was going to tell you..."

Dad's freaked out. Heh, this is kinda funny. I better let him talk...

"...but it just happened...I mean, it just happened, last night..."

Whoa, I think he's actually going to give me details. TMI, Dad, TMI. "It's cool."

Edited by Sighed I
  • Love 6

That whole opening sequence up to and including the tableside chat is one of my favorites in Season 6B. It made me laugh and giggle multiple times and I've watched that part more times than I'd care to admit. ;)

Glare wasn't the right word because I think he was amused. It was funny to me.

• Love 2

Ha! I really didn't see it that way. I thought Rick heard the way "It just happened" came out and thought it sounded super casual. And while it clearly wasn't planned, it was also clearly this transformative thing and he didn't want it to seem like he was dismissive of it. So that's why he repeated "It just happened" but put the emphasis on "just." The "last night" seemed like nerves and blathering. He was shifting his weight around and stumbling over words. It was cute.

• Love 6

Glare wasn't the right word because I think he was amused. It was funny to me.

I know Chandler gets criticism for his acting by some, but I think he has developed into a fine young actor. He certainly has a lot of great mentors. The subtlety of that moment between them was so true to life. It's one of the great things about this show, how much they convey with a glance or a movement. The cast is all in, all the time. <3

• Love 8

I know Chandler gets criticism for his acting by some, but I think he has developed into a fine young actor. He certainly has a lot of great mentors. The subtlety of that moment between them was so true to life. It's one of the great things about this show, how much they convey with a glance or a movement. The cast is all in, all the time. <3

Also I think the Michonne/Carl dynamic is mirroring the Danai/Chandler dynamic.  She simply gushes over him and his abilities and he has gone on record that his favorite character is Michonne.

• Love 4

Ha! I really didn't see it that way. I thought Rick heard the way "It just happened" came out and thought it sounded super casual. And while it clearly wasn't planned, it was also clearly this transformative thing and he didn't want it to seem like he was dismissive of it. So that's why he repeated "It just happened" but put the emphasis on "just." The "last night" seemed like nerves and blathering. He was shifting his weight around and stumbling over words. It was cute.

This whole scenario was so funny to me.  I thought that Rick added "Last night" to explain his use of the word "just" to differentiate from just being used to minimize (as in it didn't mean anything) to just meaning timewise.  I thought he was trying to say that there was never an intent to keep this information from Carl but they hadn't had time to actually wake up, let alone plan the birds and the bees and "Meet your new Mommy" speech.  Still what made it funnier was that adding the "last night" immediately put it into TMI territory.  Rick couldn't win this one.  LOL LOL LOL!!

There are some hilarious Tumblr themes of this scene where Rick keeps babbling and gets more and more explicit.  And Carl is like "OMG OMG stop Dad before I gouge out my other eye!"   LOL LOL!

• Love 2

This whole scenario was so funny to me.  I thought that Rick added "Last night" to explain his use of the word "just" to differentiate from just being used to minimize (as in it didn't mean anything) to just meaning timewise.  Still what made it funnier was that adding the "last night" immediately put it into TMI territory.  Rick couldn't win this one.  LOL LOL LOL!!

Exactly! It was so hilarious! Cause you're thinking is he gonna go on? Okay! Carl gets it. Lol

• Love 2

There are some hilarious Tumblr themes of this scene where Rick keeps babbling and gets more and more explicit.  And Carl is like "OMG OMG stop Dad before I gouge out my other eye!"   LOL LOL!

Link, pretty please with sugar on top? :))))

Also I think the Michonne/Carl dynamic is mirroring the Danai/Chandler dynamic. She simply gushes over him and his abilities and he has gone on record that his favorite character is Michonne.

I love that about their relationship. They seem to simply adore each other off-screen and on.

• Love 1

Plus I loved when they were in the RV and Rick reached over to get her hand and made sure that she knew he was happy about them, plus Michonne getting all shy and Rick just smiling at her to reassure her.  I was all AWWWWW!!!!

• Love 1

I think you may need to just dive headfirst into Tumblr with the #Richonne tag

I'll try, but I don't have a Tumblr account (and don't want one) so I can never find anything. Best I can usually get is a cached version of the page off Google or a direct link.

Edited by Sighed I

I just find out that NR is only 3 yrs younger than Melissa and that surprised me so much because of how fans act like she is way much older than him. And Melissa is only a month older than my Mom, lol.

Anyway, I don't want Carol and Daryl to ever become romantic but some of the fans gave the impression that Carol would be robbing the cradle if she gets with Daryl. It's like serously, they are almost the same age.

Maybe it has something to do with the way Norman acts because he does act like he is way younger than his actually age, I even thought Andrew was older than him because of that. So maybe those people are reacting base on that.

And to think, those calling Carol too old were rooting for Daryl to be with eighteen year old Beth! Same old double standard.

But I agree that Norman has a childishness about him that seems natural. I saw Blade 2 the other day. That movie is almost fifteen years old, and Norman wasn't much different. Younger looking, higher pitched voice, and weasely. But not much different.

• Love 2

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="Sighed I" data-cid="2164166" data-time="1461034301">Sighed I, on 18 Apr 2016 - 10:51 PM, said:Sighed I, on 18 Apr 2016 - 10:51 PM, said:<p>I know Chandler gets criticism for his acting by some, but I think he has developed into a fine young actor. He certainly has a lot of great mentors. The subtlety of that moment between them was so true to life. It's one of the great things about this show, how much they convey with a glance or a movement. The cast is all in, all the time. My lengthy response disappeared. So I will simply say I agree.

Edited by RedheadZombie

And to think, those calling Carol too old were rooting for Daryl to be with eighteen year old Beth! Same old double standard.

But I agree that Norman has a childishness about him that seems natural. I saw Blade 2 the other day. That movie is almost fifteen years old, and Norman wasn't much different. Younger looking, higher pitched voice, and weasely. But not much different.

Sure, Carol and Daryl made tons more sense than (ugh) Beth. But, the actress is like 30, isn't she? So, it's not quite fair to compare actors ages for one and character ages for the other.  That said, who the hell knows what Daryl's age is supposed to be or Carol's for that matter. All I know is that age-wise I can't think of any male character that wouldn't work for her other than Carl.

• Love 2

Carol and Daryl made tons more sense than (ugh) Beth. But, the actress is like 30, isn't she?

Ages are never specified, so we must go with how they are represented on the show. I believe Beth, judging by her demeanor, was supposed to be 18 - 20 maybe, and Daryl, judging by his appearance, in his forties, which I assume is Carol's age - give or take a few years -  with her gray hair and mature face. So yeah, it's fine and dandy for Daryl to have someone young enough to be his daughter but Carol should be his mother figure. Annoying in the extreme.

• Love 6

Beth's stated age at the prison was 16 (that's what she told Axel anyways when he was perving on her), so when she died she was only 17 or maybe barely 18 (Judith wasn't walking yet).  Daryl's age hasn't been stated, but he said that Merle was in juvie when Daryl got lost in the woods when he was 9.  And it's being (more than) generous to say that Merle looked in his fifties, at least.  So Daryl has to be at least in his forties (a max of 9 years younger than Merle).  Daryl looks older than Carol does these days.  Heh.

• Love 5

Even though it was never stated, I always thought Rooker and Reedus were supposed to be playing quite a bit younger than their actual ages. Reedus is showing his age now, but if you remember season 1 and 2 Daryl, he looked YOUNG. I would say back when the show started, Daryl was supposed to be late 20s/early 30s and Merle somewhere around 40. Beth was absolutely 16 when the show started and likely still only 17, MAYBE 18 when she died. I'd imagine Ed and Carol were supposed to be close to 40. So yea, I'd find Daryl with Beth to be a lot creepier than Daryl with Carol. 

Ages are hard on this show, because it's moving at a very slow pace. Poor Chandler Riggs has obviously grown/aged the most. It's hard to reconcile him with the Carl we saw 6 years ago, and remember that was only, what? Two years ago their time?

• Love 5

Ages are hard on this show, because it's moving at a very slow pace. Poor Chandler Riggs has obviously grown/aged the most. It's hard to reconcile him with the Carl we saw 6 years ago, and remember that was only, what? Two years ago their time?

Probably less than that. How old is Judith? Can she even walk?

The wiki says it's likely been 627 days since the outbreak.

Which leads me to realize that the scene that wakes Rick up from the defeated fog that's likely to be enveloping him after this episode might be Judith's first steps ...

• Love 1

No she can't walk yet, honestly I have no idea how old she is.

I read that Judith is supposed to be about 10 months old. It has been just under two years since Rick woke up. The show is deliberately moving at a snail pace time wise, but Chandler's growth spurt makes it a tough sell. 

The wiki says it's likely been 627 days since the outbreak.

Which leads me to realize that the scene that wakes Rick up from the defeated fog that's likely to be enveloping him after this episode might be Judith's first steps ...

I can't wait to see the little one walking!  That said, I am not inclined to believe that Rick is going to be in a defeated fog.  I don't think Rick's spirit is broken (unless Michonne is the one who died), he's seen many people die and faced death for himself countless times.  He's a fighter and will continue to fight - he still has children to protect, others who look to him, and if Michonne lives, a partner as strong as he is.  He's got plenty to bolster him.

I think the devastated, overwhelmed look that he gets at the end - in addition, no doubt, to the guilt that he feels for a miscalculation that is resulting in certain death for one or many of his close compadres - is his utter shock at how many of these people there were.  This is the biggest group we've seen since the fall.  It almost looks like we're dealing with hundreds of people.  A full society.  CDB is pretty tough and even if they were generically outnumbered they would have tried to fight.  They got to their knees and surrendered GUNS because of the sheer numbers of Negan's group.

I am not excited to see who died because every single possibility fills me with sadness and dread (including Abe) and at least one puts my continued watching at risk (Michonne).  I AM excited to see Negan get taken down.  A lot of fangirls are gushing over the deliciousness of my beloved JDM, but I am not one to get things twisted.  Nobody is too fine to kill, if his fine ass needs killing.  I don't care about his backstory or how he used to be - right now he bashes peoples heads in on GP, and does so in front of their loved ones for sadistic joy.  He needs to go.

• Love 4

We all know that Rick will feel guilt and will be devastated over what happens. He never asked to be a leader of the group, it really happened because no one else stepped up. But we have to understand that when that happened all the people in the initial CDB group did not know what was going on with the world and I think that Rick being a cop made them realize that he should be the leader. I remember a scene where Carol was yelling at him, "DO SOMETHING".

I saw an interview that Danai gave and she basically said that Rick and Michonne realized they were not in control and that she was not going to let Negan take everything away from her. If you recall in the morning Rick and Michonne basically told each other that they were not going to lose everything they had. These are two people who really lost everything and finally found a little bit of happiness in their little family. Yes, this is going to be devastating for the both of them. Remember at the Hilltop when they are leaving and Rick tells Michonne, "This is going to be hard but we will win, we have to" and Michonne says, "we'll win". In the end they will win, because they are not going to let Negan and his thugs take everything away from them.

I am a little amazed at some of the fangirls gushing over Negan, but as far as I am concerned I can't wait for the day that Rick, Michonne, Carl and the rest of the gang take him DOWN!!! And I don't want Morgan to start spouting his crap about all life is precious because I will have to rip him a new one.

• Love 4

I wouldn't say Rick lost "everything". He's actually pretty damned lucky when you look at the rest of the crew. Not that he hasn't suffered - he lost his wife - but his son has lived and thrived, and against all odds, his baby has as well.

As to fangirling over Negan, I can only speak for myself. I am in no way rooting for the character, but I'm getting a huge kick out of JDM's portrayal and the fact that he's clearly having the time of his life. The guy's forty-nine years old, spent most of his career as a well-known by some, unknown to others actor, and is now playing the biggest bad in TWD universe. I've heard many actors talk about the joy of playing the bad guy. I'm excited for him and the enthusiastic greeting he's received from fans.

I also don't have a problem if they show a "softer" side of Negan. And by that I'm not implying that anything would make him rootable or sympathetic. But I like my villains nuanced, and find them even more terrifying when they're capable of love and affection. The Governor's love for zombie Penny didn't make me like him, but it made him much more interesting.

Edited for complaint of dismissiveness.

Edited by RedheadZombie
  • Love 4

I wouldn't say Rick lost "everything". He's actually pretty damned lucky when you look at the rest of the crew. Not that he hasn't suffered - he lost his wife - but his son has lived and thrived, and against all odds, his baby has as well.

As to fangirling over Negan, I can only speak for myself. I am in no way rooting for the character, but I'm getting a huge kick out of JDM's portrayal and the fact that he's clearly having the time of his life. The guy's forty-nine years old, spent most of his career as a "nobody", and is now playing the biggest bad in TWD universe. I've heard many actors talk about the joy of playing the bad guy. I'm excited for him and the enthusiastic greeting he's received from fans.

I also don't have a problem if they show a "softer" side of Negan. And by that I'm not implying that anything would make him rootable or sympathetic. But I like my villains nuanced, and find them even more terrifying when they're capable of love and affection. The Governor's love for zombie Penny didn't make me like him, but it made him much more interesting.

I feel the same way. I will never root for him against the TF/Rick but I love watching him and I can't wait to see more of him becaus ofJDM and I like interesting baddies like Negan.

• Love 1

s to fangirling over Negan, I can only speak for myself.  I am in no way rooting for the character, but I'm getting a huge kick out of JDM's portrayal and the fact that he's clearly having the time of his life.  The guy's forty-nine years old, spent most of his career as a "nobody", and is now playing the biggest bad in TWD universe.  I've heard many actors talk about the joy of playing the bad guy.  I'm excited for him and the enthusiastic greeting he's received from fans.

This will probably be his biggest claim to fame meaning more eyeballs but to say JDM was a "nobody" before this role really dismissive of his rather extensive filmography 

• Love 1

This will probably be his biggest claim to fame meaning more eyeballs but to say JDM was a "nobody" before this role really dismissive of his rather extensive filmography 

That's why I placed the word in quotes.  He was a good character actor, but not well known.

That's why I placed the word in quotes.  He was a good character actor, but not well known.

That's what I'm kind of puzzled about because he IS pretty well known for at least 3 iconic characters with John Winchester from Supernatural, Denny from Greys Anatomy and The Comedian from Watchmen.

I guess I have a different opinion of well known.

• Love 1

That's what I'm kind of puzzled about because he IS pretty well known for at least 3 iconic characters with John Winchester from Supernatural, Denny from Greys Anatomy and The Comedian from Watchmen.

GA is where I was introduced to him and I loved him ever since.

I've known him for years, too. Fine. You're offended. I didn't mean to sound dismissive. Obviously the point was missed that my greater point was to praise the actor. I will edit my comment.
  • Love 1

I've known him for years, too. Fine. You're offended. I didn't mean to sound dismissive. Obviously the point was missed that my greater point was to praise the actor. I will edit my comment.

Okay but I'm not offended? Was never offended. If you think he is a nobody that's fine. I was just stating why I didn't think he was.

I have been watching "Teachers" which stars Andrew Lincoln, OMG but he is funny.  It popped up on my YouTube feed at home and had no idea why until I saw AL.

Me, too! I've never really liked early Andrew Lincoln, but he's really grown on me. I guess that is what a 6+ month hiatus will do to you! He's kind of adorable on that show.

I agree 100%.  Personally, I don't see anything 'progressive' about Richonne.  Black woman/White man relationships on TV are popping up all over TV, it's practically trendy.  There's a new show on now (don't know the name) with a Black woman/White man relationship that is all over social media featuring a nice, well-educated Black woman and an illiterate redneck.  According to the fangirls this is the latest 'progressive' relationship.

I don't think there's anything progressive about a White man being attracted to a strong, intelligent, drop-dead gorgeous Black woman.  It's just proof he has eyes and a brain in his head.  From my personal experience, White men have never hesitated to pursue a Black woman.

In my opinion, progress would be seeing a Black woman and Black man facing the ZA together.  We've only had one very brief example of that with Sasha and Bob and I loved every second of it.  Black love in the ZA seems to be few and far between.  Maybe it's because the lifespan of a Black man on TWD is so short.

I'm not a comic book reader but I know ComicMichonne was very sexually active, exclusively with Black men.  Some people seem to view TVMichonne as a step-up, as if the TV character has refined her taste in men.  That attitude pisses me off.  I have no problem with a woman who likes sex and I have absolutely no problem with a Black woman who likes having sex with Black men. 

Nope. Interracial relationships are not new and they have been popping up a lot lately. Some shows take the plunge whilst others just tease you with it. *coughs Sleepy Hollow coughs*

The latest "progressive show"  you're referring to is probably 'The Outsiders on WGN'. I haven't watched myself - but the trailer looks interesting enough.

TV Michoone would not have meshed with any on the black males we have seen so far. If Tyreese was written like he's comic version I would've supported that relationship 100% - but the weak mess of a man they wrote for the Tv adapt was just pitiful.  Comic Michoone and Tyreese was believable ...but Morgan not so much.

I haven't gotten to the Ezekiel sections yet - so I can't comment on their relationship. I'm dying to see which actor gets cast in the role. He could have great chemistry with Danai.

Edited by Milks26

I could see TV Michonne with TDog, Heath, and newly transformed Gabriel. I think with the backstory given to TV Michonne, she could not be with a man who deliberately endangers others with their actions or is unwilling to kill to survive at minimum. Unlike Carol, Michonne is not conflicted about who she is or why she kills. 

Going through TWD withdrawals, I have been re-watching season six. I picked up on moments in The Next World that I hadn't noticed before. Rick picking up the toothpaste when he entered the truck and then reaching into the machine for the mints was sweet. He was thinking about Michonne's request for toothpaste and it showed that she was on his mind even as he was out on a run. I also wondered if Michonne meant to just take the mints or did she deliberately reach for his hand? Rick instantly responded so they definitely came to the realization that they were in love with each other at the same. It is still a wonderful squee moment. 

The new format will take some getting used, but I like that it is cleaner.

Edited by SimoneS
1 hour ago, SimoneS said:

I also wondered if Michonne meant to just take the mints or did she deliberately reach for his hand? Rick instantly responded so they definitely came to the realization that they were in love with each other at the same. It is still wonderful squee moment. 

She definitely meant to lock her fingers with his. She already had the mints in her hand.

3 hours ago, SimoneS said:

Going through TWD withdrawals, I have been re-watching season six. I picked up on moments in The Next World that I hadn't noticed before. Rick picking up the toothpaste when he entered the truck and then reaching into the machine for the mints was sweet. He was thinking about Michonne's request for toothpaste and it showed that she was on his mind even as he was out on a run. I also wondered if Michonne meant to just take the mints or did she deliberately reach for his hand? Rick instantly responded so they definitely came to the realization that they were in love with each other at the same. It is still a wonderful squee moment. 

Those are the kinds of moments I like better than the full-on make out/sex moments. I loved back in season 4 when she brought him a razor. What did she say, "Your face is losing the war?" That's the kind of semi flirting, comfortable banter I have with my husband. It was so adorable.

• Love 1