Type keyword(s) to search

Season Four General Discussion

With regard with the ingenious plastic wrap greenhouse, maybe I missed it but how did they go in and out? If they cut a door, the side they cut it in would fall down and the adjacent sides would also fall down. I can't believe that Discovery is presenting this crap as a reality show. Then again wasn't it Discovery that showed the completely faked "mermaid" show as reality and later admitted that it was all fake? These Brownclownz would not survive one week in a real wilderness environment. For that matter they would be in real trouble in a gritty urban environment like the one I grew up in.

(edited)
1 hour ago, DoctorK said:

With regard with the ingenious plastic wrap greenhouse, maybe I missed it but how did they go in and out? If they cut a door, the side they cut it in would fall down and the adjacent sides would also fall down. I can't believe that Discovery is presenting this crap as a reality show. Then again wasn't it Discovery that showed the completely faked "mermaid" show as reality and later admitted that it was all fake? These Brownclownz would not survive one week in a real wilderness environment. For that matter they would be in real trouble in a gritty urban environment like the one I grew up in.

At least the mermaid thing was very entertaining.

It really pisses me off that they are continuing with the "we are innocent" dramatics.  I want to see a perp walk!

Edited by jumper sage
  • Love 2

Well, extra heaping of bull tonight, so long recap. First we had the kid giving hair styling tips to big brother. Then idiot Bear smearing mud on and "heightening his senses" for hunting season. Later on they practice shooting in preparation for some bird hunting by trying to shoot gallon milk jugs thrown by their trebuchet - I just knew they would eventually find a use that that thing. Great fun laughing at the idiots missing time after time - then Bam ask Bear for a "bullet" for the shotgun and they take turns dropping it as they toss it back and forth. I was beginning to wonder if maybe they hadn't smoked a little too much of Billy's weed or maybe Matt's booze. Finally, after blasting away for quite awhile, they finally hit a jug and call it quits. Hey, no need to pick up all the broken jugs, the tide wash them away and it's not like there's already tons of plastic crap floating in the Pacific. Now that Bear and Bam have their shooting eyes back, they head off on their grouse hunt. They've acquired an inflatable dingy from somewhere, and have the use of a 4 wheeler so they can act extra crazy on their hunt. Lots of stupid stuff on the hunt, nonexistent gun safety, unsafe driving on the four wheeler - you know, typical Brown Clan stupidity - oh and they didn't shoot a single grouse.

While those idiots are off hunting, Gabe is drafted by Noah to help with another stupid invention. This time it's  a bush washing machine. This time his "invention" makes even less sense than normal, as the finished "machine" still requires electricity. Any guess on how much work it would be to haul the water to fill that drum for the various cycle, or how big a mud hole will result when they start dumping it out. This thing is right up there with the hatchet/monkey wrench idea or electrified moss.

And, just in case there's not enough trash around the once pristine forest, they decide to use plastic wrap to make a pretend greenhouse. First off, why do they insist on gardening on the tidal flat. Guess since it's just a pretend garden and greenhouse there's no reason to move up to that meadow by the stream - and it's much easier down by the cove. Who thinks that tiny garden would even come close to providing for that big a family? Hilarious when Cupcake crawls through the wall of the "greenhouse" - remember one of reasons for the greenhouse is to keep out the deer and other critters. And despite Billy's talk of planting peppers and tomatos, we don't see anything planted.

And, let's not forget the ridiculous spin on the jail time. Yep they're still acting like they're going to jail, as if everyone doesn't know the whole family didn't stay in an extended stay motel in Juneau. Good grief, how many lies, half truths and exaggerations can they fit in one episode. They had multiple little segments spread through this episode. I no longer find that BS entertaining, so jump hit the fast forward button that jumps 30 seconds forward until they're not spreading the crap. Sooo, don't ask me about the latest stuff their were spinning about that farce. At one point they bring up a black screen with a message Billy supposedly gets from the lawyer - oh joy of joys, Billy gets the news they may not go to jail, but wear ankle monitors instead. Oh come on, when the plea deal was made back in January the judge said they might get house arrest and they're pretending this is news. Right up to the very end, as B&B are walking up the dock, they're acting like they don't know if they're going to the jail or motel. Yeah, as if their lawyer wouldn't have that worked out ahead of time and have the motel approved as their temporary residence long ago.

Once again, the clan leave Browntown, as for some unknown reason they all need to go to Juneau. This time, to add more bear protection, Matt has a flare gun trip wire and Gabe saws the stairs off the porch. Not sure what either of those things are supposed to do. Hopefully nothing trips Matt's booby trap and burns down Browntown.

As long as they're trying to clean up the various storylines, we hear Billy counseling Matt about his late nights in town. What - late nights on the town? Could the rumors about Matt staggering out of the Icy Strait Bar be true? Could this be the beginning of spinning the rumored rehab stint? Previews for next week hint that could be the next crisis that threatens to tear the wolf pack apart.

• Love 3

Thanks for the recap!  And thanks for watching so I didn't have to.  :)   

I have hate-watched this thing in the past, but it's getting to the point of all the BS stuff in there makes it pretty much unwatchable for me now.  The straw that broke me was when Papa Billy worrying that someone might say something in prison to poor Bam Bam that might make Bam's temper flare up.  Which might make him have a longer sentence imposed on him.  Yeah, would be rough getting an extra 6 months of room service at that motel.  <rolls eyes>

I just basically tuned out that point.  I did see them putting up their "greenhouse".  Yeah, that plastic will really keep out those predators real good-like.  Idiots. 

Didn't really care to watch the rest of it.  Though with Billy and Bam Bam away...will Browntown be shaken to it's foundation once again!?  Oh noes!

• Love 4

just watching these fakers wash their clothes in the creek did it for me.  no way would they ever come out clean, especially after dumb dumb goes rolling in the mud to mask his scent for hunting.  oh the flaws in this show.    it's like a handbook for "what not to do in nature"

• Love 5

I'll add my vote to so much bullshit, so little time. There was so much...the stupid greenhouse (my parents raised orchids for sale in a real greenhouse--you know, the kind made of, you know...glass and with real doors. It worked pretty well for them. The continued bull spin of those poor innocents having to bow to d'man because they just want to live the way the good lord made them and, dang it, they just didn't keep good enough records but they really, really truly lived in Alaska for the last 30 years. Chainsawing off the front steps to bearproof the house. Maybe I'm cray-cray but can't bears kind of like, climb trees and stuff? I wouldn't think a five foot high porch over a solid wood pile would be a major prob for them, silly me. Billy might not survive being locked in a cage! He could DIE!!! And how will the wolfpack overcome being separated for a whole goldarn month??? Does anyone know if they whole family shared the same extended stay accommodations or if Billy and Bam were in a different place? Would they have visitation or be in relative isolation?

However, I do find it semi-interesting that they clearly seem to be setting up Matt's rehab (for which I have some genuine sympathy). I wonder why--are TPTB concerned that the word is out and they feel they have to address it? Did he miss filming and they need to explain his absence?

Noah's inventions...I have no words...and he hasn't been snatched up by some fair maiden yet? Impossible!

• Love 3

Reports are that the whole family stayed in a couple of rooms at the Extended Stay.  Maybe B&BB went to check in while the others headed to the Juneau Pizza Hut for a take-out order to take to the hotel.

Such amazing hogwash from these people.

• Love 2

And Amie's tear filled eyes when she said she might not see Billy for a month.  What drama, what pathos.  Hike your ass down the dock and ask what room they are in for gods sake.  2 rooms- one for the aging hippies and one for the pack o'kidz.  As far as I can tell, nothing has changed.  

I'm waiting for them to get back to brown dump, find out the Bears have eaten the cats, and we focus on Matt and his problems.  Maybe he will get some real therapy and they will explain to him that he really needs to take advantage of this opportunity to run, not walk, away from the soul sucking environment that is the brown family.  Maybe someone will rescue Rain too.  

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, Tukahar said:

And Amie's tear filled eyes when she said she might not see Billy for a month.  What drama, what pathos.  Hike your ass down the dock and ask what room they are in for gods sake.  2 rooms- one for the aging hippies and one for the pack o'kidz.  As far as I can tell, nothing has changed.  

I'm waiting for them to get back to brown dump, find out the Bears have eaten the cats, and we focus on Matt and his problems.  Maybe he will get some real therapy and they will explain to him that he really needs to take advantage of this opportunity to run, not walk, away from the soul sucking environment that is the brown family.  Maybe someone will rescue Rain too.  

Never mind them somebody help those cats and Cupcake. Thank goodness DaVinci moved into the coop, or they might bring back chickens.

• Love 4
20 hours ago, Tukahar said:

And Amie's tear filled eyes when she said she might not see Billy for a month.  What drama, what pathos.  

Immediately followed by Billy's anguished worry that the family might fall apart and nothing will ever be the same...! It's a month, f'christsake, it isn't five years...frigging deal with it, suck it up and move on as you cash your checks from TPTB. As to Matt's stint in rehab (which, as I've said, I genuinely wish him well with--is there anyone alive who hasn't deal with or know someone with some sort of problem requiring rehab? It's a nightmare and not always something which can be fixed)...I also hope they don't turn this into a plot twist. This show is so full of total BS a real story which could, potentially, involve a situation of life and death--I don't know. It would be too real after the fantasy this thing is based on and, possibly, too tragic. I also believe that mom and dad know the man has serious problems, likely has had them in the past and know it's ongoing and not resolved or over.

• Love 3
On Saturday, June 04, 2016 at 0:00 AM, Rock knocker said:

Except Noah, who stood fully dressed in his leather Toto Hydra outfit and tophat looking like a dandy from Roots.

Looking like a dandy from Roots.

LMAO!!!!

Ugh, this greenhouse...

I'm a firm believer in "if it looks stupid, but it works, it ain't stupid", so I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt regarding their plastic wrap greenhouse. I've never built one, so what do I know? Maybe it would be fine.

But Ami sees it and immediately says "They've built a functional greenhouse!"  No they haven't! You don't get to call it "functional" until it has carried out its functions! If it works, neat. If not, cool little experiment (for a 14 year old, but that pretty much goes without saying for this crew), but they don't know whether it works yet!!

Seriously, can they at least pretend they're invested enough in this lifestyle to use these things, instead of oohing and aahing without substance?

I caught an episode of Port Protection last night.  The community worked together to build a communal greenhouse.  Golly.  The framing on one side was off, so they tore down that side and rebuilt it so it would be even.  It has a door!!!  And not one roll of saran wrap was in sight.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, AZChristian said:

I caught an episode of Port Protection last night.  The community worked together to build a communal greenhouse.  Golly.  The framing on one side was off, so they tore down that side and rebuilt it so it would be even.  It has a door!!!  And not one roll of saran wrap was in sight.

I record and watch PP each week. Quite a difference between the Browns' and Port Protection greenhouse, isn't there?  Actually saw a sturdy structure that will survive a stiff breeze, composting was discussed, even saw seed packets. A big difference which immediately catches my eye is that the people in PP are dressed appropiately for the weather and for work. Oh, and they have a dude, Sam, who is always tinkering and making something. Couple differences between Sam and da Vinci Noah. Sam doesn't claim to be inventing everything, and when he makes something you actually see it in use on later shows. The biggest difference is the people actually work. They actually hunt, fish, garden, raise goats and ducks for food, gather firewood - all those things the Browns give lip service to, but never do.

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

Did you know that the Browns have a history in Port Protection?  Yet another of their attempts to scam.

Yep, I had read that before in the past, but didn't have it bookmarked. When you read through the pages you find people still defend the Browns and insisting everything Billy is spewing us true. 

Evidently this week's episode has been pre-empted by shark week. That, somehow seems so appropriate...On the other hand, was last week the finale and I didn't notice and we're left with Matt's possible rehab story as B&BB are on their way to the big house?

28 minutes ago, Beden said:

Evidently this week's episode has been pre-empted by shark week. That, somehow seems so appropriate...On the other hand, was last week the finale and I didn't notice and we're left with Matt's possible rehab story as B&BB are on their way to the big house?

No such luck ? new episode scheduled for next week, and from the previews Matt is missing - rehab? Hey, I say if he's checked into rehab, good luck to him.

• Love 2

Just caught a rerun of the "We're back from the Lower 48 so we need to take a family trip!" episode...

I'm pretty sure Ami and some other lady just plowed the runway (blade down and everything) that had ZERO snow on it! They were making a big deal about "keeping it clear" because it's "their only connection to the outside world". Ami asks whether the blade should be down, other lady agrees, and they show it just kicking up gravel. 

At this point, I'm wondering how the producers who come up with the ideas to stage this crap haven't been fired yet.

• Love 2

I think that the ratings are, for some unfathomable reason, pretty good which means that ads revenues are probably decent. Oy. As long as this mess is profitable (and they even managed to spin felony convictions as being just fine and the poor Browns just can't catch a break) then it will continue.

I do, however, wonder how much of a slush fund TPTB have to repair, replace, restore and compensate for the mess they're leaving in their collective wakes...sunken boats (they leak oil/gas and cause obvious pollution in addition to being a navigation hazard), destruction of pristine wilderness, piles of garbage, unpaid bills, having to deal with a production crew and disruption of day to day activities and so on. I used to live in a town where the Sopranos filmed--they were all perfectly nice people and professional but roads/parks would be closed for days and while the town made $, it was an ongoing PITA for years. Come to think of it, I'm guessing that Hoonah is being paid for their inconvenience; that would be standard and, of course, the locals are making $ for construction and for acting as  extras..

54 minutes ago, Beden said:

I think that the ratings are, for some unfathomable reason, pretty good which means that ads revenues are probably decent. Oy. As long as this mess is profitable (and they even managed to spin felony convictions as being just fine and the poor Browns just can't catch a break) then it will continue.

I do, however, wonder how much of a slush fund TPTB have to repair, replace, restore and compensate for the mess they're leaving in their collective wakes...sunken boats (they leak oil/gas and cause obvious pollution in addition to being a navigation hazard), destruction of pristine wilderness, piles of garbage, unpaid bills, having to deal with a production crew and disruption of day to day activities and so on. I used to live in a town where the Sopranos filmed--they were all perfectly nice people and professional but roads/parks would be closed for days and while the town made $, it was an ongoing PITA for years. Come to think of it, I'm guessing that Hoonah is being paid for their inconvenience; that would be standard and, of course, the locals are making $ for construction and for acting as  extras..

Yeah, you know some folks are making money. Some are sort of semi regulars, like the good mayor, others are making money building at Browntown, shuttling boats of crew back and forth, and of course the owner's and workers there at the hotel and restaurant. I imagine others are pissed when production closes part of the harbor so the Clowns can do their thing ramming the dock - remember the video of a confrontation between locals and the Clan on the dock.  http://www.realitytvscandals.com/2015/05/26/video-cast-of-alaskan-bush-people-fight-with-locals/ Despite the repeated claims of multiple captains* in the family, if I were harbor master I'd want a real pilot on the Integrity whenever possible in the harbor. I try to be nice to the Clowns and say their problem docking is because the Integrity is tricky to dock, but remember Bam making a mess trying to the the previous boat on one of the early trips to Hoonah. Besides, by now you'd think they'd have learned to dock the Integrity, single screw or not, with all their hauling business.

*unfortunately, being a "captain" is really ambiguous. There are Coast Guard requirements for getting a captain's license (no, I'm not sure what all it takes to be licensed). Problem is, pretty much anyone can call themselves a captain when operating a family boat. Billy saying they're all captains means nothing, unless of course he's saying they're licensed - then I would want to see the license and check to see if they're real. My understanding, I'm not a boat person, is that the Coast Guard would not require a licensed captain on the Integrity unless they operate it as a charter with paying passengers. Not sure what rules apply when operating a family boat as a commercial hauler like they pretend to do. There, I suspect the insurance carrier may require a license before the USCG. Doesn't really matter, since the "hauling business" is just a story line. 

8 minutes ago, DoctorK said:

Even worse, can you imagine being stuck on a plane for a long overwater flight with these people?

Well, it would be EXTREME?, but not AWESOME ?

• Love 5
46 minutes ago, DoctorK said:

Even worse, can you imagine being stuck on a plane for a long overwater flight with these people?

The visual of Bear howliing and climbing on the seats....Noah trying to wear a top hat, and Matt and Bam wrestling down the aisles.   Gotta love em

• Love 4
2 hours ago, SRTouch said:

Yeah, you know some folks are making money. Some are sort of semi regulars, like the good mayor, others are making money building at Browntown, shuttling boats of crew back and forth, and of course the owner's and workers there at the hotel and restaurant. I imagine others are pissed when production closes part of the harbor so the Clowns can do their thing ramming the dock - remember the video of a confrontation between locals and the Clan on the dock.  http://www.realitytvscandals.com/2015/05/26/video-cast-of-alaskan-bush-people-fight-with-locals/ Despite the repeated claims of multiple captains* in the family, if I were harbor master I'd want a real pilot on the Integrity whenever possible in the harbor. I try to be nice to the Clowns and say their problem docking is because the Integrity is tricky to dock, but remember Bam making a mess trying to the the previous boat on one of the early trips to Hoonah. Besides, by now you'd think they'd have learned to dock the Integrity, single screw or not, with all their hauling business.

*unfortunately, being a "captain" is really ambiguous. There are Coast Guard requirements for getting a captain's license (no, I'm not sure what all it takes to be licensed). Problem is, pretty much anyone can call themselves a captain when operating a family boat. Billy saying they're all captains means nothing, unless of course he's saying they're licensed - then I would want to see the license and check to see if they're real. My understanding, I'm not a boat person, is that the Coast Guard would not require a licensed captain on the Integrity unless they operate it as a charter with paying passengers. Not sure what rules apply when operating a family boat as a commercial hauler like they pretend to do. There, I suspect the insurance carrier may require a license before the USCG. Doesn't really matter, since the "hauling business" is just a story line. 

I wonder about that too.  They may not need USGS licenses if they are only hauling and have family aboard, but the film crew is de facto paying customers.  You never know, they could have a real Captain aboard just to keep the film crew legal.

And why doesn't their boat have lights?  They can afford to drive to San Diego and fly to Hawaii, but putting lights on the Integrity is beyond them all?

• Love 1
34 minutes ago, Rock knocker said:

And why doesn't their boat have lights?  They can afford to drive to San Diego and fly to Hawaii, but putting lights on the Integrity is beyond them all?

Here it is June, longest days of the year when you would think real homesteaders would be busy doing a million and one jobs, working LONG hours trying to get things done. Planting the garden, working on that... greenhouse?, maybe even getting a start on the talked about boardwalks so they wouldn't be slogging through the mud. But, noooo, they need yet another vacation.

As far as making an effort to convert the Integrity to a actual commercial hauler... Remember when Paul, the guy with the shipping company and converted landing craft, came and told them what they needed to do before he sent them business?  http://www.sealeveltransport.com Pretty much everything they were told they needed to do has been ignored. 

Reminder:  the Browns don't own the Integrity.  The production company does.  No way will Billy Brown spend a dollar of his money on somebody else's boat.  They'll probably make a full episode out of fake-bartering for lights for the Integrity.  Pretty sure that the Hoonah dump has a couple of banks of leftover lights from a major league baseball park that Noah can convert for use for the Integrity.

I may have to give up following this show.  I can feel brain cells dying.

• Love 3
19 hours ago, Rock knocker said:

I don't think Noah has invented them yet.

• Love 7

Actually I think that's what Noah's "electrified moss" is for.  He charges that moss up real good, and then sticks lights on top of them.

Instant lighting for night excursions!  Noah's a genius! 

• Love 3
19 hours ago, AZChristian said:

Reminder:  the Browns don't own the Integrity.  The production company does.

So the owners are cool with the liability of fools driving a boat without the legally required lights?  And I'm thinking lights are required wheter it is at night or not.  All boats at anchorage are required to be lighted as are boats in fog and mist.

• Love 1

Surprises me, too.  But state license records show that the boat is owned by the production company.  Makes you wonder how they even got the registration changed, unless the company said they were just going to use it as a filming set.

• Love 2
18 hours ago, Rock knocker said:

So the owners are cool with the liability of fools driving a boat without the legally required lights?  And I'm thinking lights are required wheter it is at night or not.  All boats at anchorage are required to be lighted as are boats in fog and mist.

Realizing completely that Alaska and Canada are different countries...back in the day my grandparents had a summer place in Canada, located on an island in very large lake, we all went up there every year, young and old. All the motor boats had running lights both for safety, common sense and by law--big or small, they all had lights, life jackets, bilge pumps and so on. Of course my grandparents weren't idiots. The canoe and rowboat were lightless so I guess we just took our chances (and were always to have them home by dark under dire penalties).

• Love 1

Lifestyle

Alaskan Bush People's Matt Brown Reveals His Rehab Journey: 'I Could See Myself Spiraling'

Matt Brown didn't like the man he was becoming.
"I could see myself spiraling," the Alaskan Bush People star says exclusively in the current issue of PEOPLE.
Once he began spending more and more time drinking with friends "in town" over the past year, Brown admits, "I was more withdrawn. I was slower. Things didn't excite me the way they used to." Brown, 33, says he first started drinking a few years ago when his family's boat broke down and they began spending time in nearby Juneau.
"I've always been able to handle city life, no problem." says Brown. "But I started hanging out with people who drank. They didn't have a problem with it so while I was around them, I started drinking." The eldest Brown child says he began to make "bad choices"; he chose to stop drinking but picked up the habit again in the past year. "I started drinking lightly and then it got to be more and more," he says. "That's when I saw the problem around the corner, and I didn't want to be one of those guys." Brown was also conflicted about keeping his habit a secret from his parents and six younger siblings, who don't drink – or, as Brown puts it, are "teetotalers."
"There was a shame for feeling weak. I didn't want to tell them that," says Brown. "But my family trusts each other. We don't have secrets, so it made me feel that I was more of a bad guy." • Look for Matt Brown's story in the latest issue of PEOPLE, on newsstands Friday

12 minutes ago, Beden said:

Lifestyle

Alaskan Bush People's Matt Brown Reveals His Rehab Journey: 'I Could See Myself Spiraling'

Thanks for the update. I went and read the article http://www.people.com/article/alaskan-bush-people-matt-brown-rehab-journey and found it unsettling that later in the article he claimed not to be an alcoholic, and that he could still drink socially. "While in rehab, Brown says he concluded that he was not an alcoholic but was still abusing alcohol. He believes he could handle drinking socially again now, but he's perfectly content to live a sober life."  Ummm, dude, if you've been convicted of hit and run while DUI, then 3 years later you're undergoing 35 days of inpatient treatment at a rehab facility, I would think you SHOULD NOT be drinking socially and fit the definition of being alcoholic.

• Love 3

I also wondered how the broke as broke can be Browns managed the costs of a month in rehab. I know...but still, a small suspension of belief.

• Love 2

Every time I see that video I am reminded of how tiny they all are.

After seeing snippets of tonight's show and seeing them walk up and down the dock....they are really gaining weight.  They look like a bunch of the most unhealthy people I have ever seen.  The parents should be ashamed at themselves for how little care they gave their children.  When Amy said, "The whole family back together...".  I always snort with derision.  She left her own family and 15 and yet expects offspring in their 30s to still cling?  Yep, it's a cult.

• Love 2

I was out earlier in the evening, so I only managed to catch the last half hour of the show during the re-airing. 

Man, could they have dragged out poor Matt's confession any longer?  Geesh.  I thought he was also going to confess to being gay or something.  But I do feel for him.  I'd be drinking my arse off too if I was stuck in that cult.  And w/ Matt being the oldest, by definition he has been there in that dysfunctional place longer than the other kids (who I also feel very sorry for as well).  So I really hope he does get the help he needs.  And probably the best thing for him after his rehab stint is over is get the heck away from Browntown.

Most of the rest of the episode (from what I saw anyway) was pretty much ZZZZZZZZZ....  

Wow, they get another hauling job!   Noah makes another (useless) invention!   They have to make it to port before...storms!  And darkness!  Or both!  Oh noes!

And more talk about them being locked up...again <eyeroll>.  Yeah, must be tough being in that hotel for a month.  Don't know how they managed to survive.  Really a tough go of it, I'm sure.

Season finale coming up?  Already?  Just as well.  Am pretty much at my limit enduring all this bullshittiness anyway.

• Love 2

I don't understand why the whole family had to stay in Juno?  Billy and Bam were in for a month. Couldn't the family go back to the "wild" while they served their sentence?  Why were they stuck at the docks?   Is it the Wolf Pack mentality?

they are beyond weird.  

• Love 3
3 hours ago, gaPeach said:

I don't understand why the whole family had to stay in Juno?  Billy and Bam were in for a month. Couldn't the family go back to the "wild" while they served their sentence?  Why were they stuck at the docks?   Is it the Wolf Pack mentality?

they are beyond weird.  

That's not how cults work at all!  One and all must be within sight of cult leader.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, gaPeach said:

they are beyond weird.  

Good question. Google tells us there is regular ferry service between Hoonah and Juneau, with travel time about three hours. The narrator said a couple times that they needed to be back in Browntown getting ready for winter. So why did they abandon the garden, greenhouse, collecting firewood, hunting, and all those other jobs that they've told us they have to do are they're ALL GOING TO DIE? The narrator also told us their hauling business was being neglected while they were in Juneau. Again, there's no reason they need to be in Juneau. But, since they're there, what kept them from getting some small hauling jobs there. Remember Paul, the owner of the hauling business that appears to periodically steer "jobs" their way. IIRC, he's based right there in Juneau. Hmmm maybe they needs lights on the Integrity to operate a commercial vessel out of Juneau? Nah, that can't be it. As several people have already pointed out, they should have navigational lights, at a minimum, to operate out of any port.

• Love 2

So much stupidity, so little time ...

Great, Noah creates a shocking new invention that lets them communicate with different parts of the ship. I think he should call it the "intercom"!

When the Integrity (it pains me to use that word here) is suffering through the heavy seas, we either see the Brownklownz on the boat in almost flat seas, and whenever we see serious seas, it is always a long shot so we can't recognize any of the Brownklownz as opposed to hired actual boat people.

Finally, my last observation for this week, BullshitBilly needs to shut up about the horror of going to "prison". He didn't go to prison, he didn't even go to jail. He sat in a hotel with maid service for clean sheets (something probably rare in Browntown), delivery food, all the amenities that they tough it out without in the "bush" in Browntown. Get a clue BB, your two bit scams and frauds are not big enough or important enough to get you into prison, mores the pity.

• Love 3
(edited)

Trying to recap this week's episode is pretty tough, since it was a snoozer. The State of Alaska wouldn't let Discovery film the deplorable conditions inside the extended stay hotel suite, so we were spared that. We were treated to the Brown "kids" jaywalking across busy city streets. Luckily, no one was hit - wouldn't want any cars damaged. We saw a few long overdue chores done on the Integrity while the family sat at the docks waiting for Billy and Bam to serve their sentence. Don't know why they were waiting at the dock, heck I can't figure out why they were in Juneau, but there you have it. Can you believe they actually replaced the lines and put on a block and tackle? The modern day DaVinci suffered with not having his laBORatory, but still managed some air time with a nonsensical intercom system made of phones which will light up instead of ring. Long as he's in the big city, wonder if he'll stock up on super glue and alcohol so he can make some more handwarmers - or maybe just buy a couple dozen ready made at a store. We had Bear doing typical Bear-things. No mud to roll around in, so he got the girls to use him as a human mop when they cleaned the deck. Ami finally completed something made from Cupcake's fur - no not a sweater, she made a bracelet for Billy's getting out of the hotel room celebration. Oh, and what was that bit with Gabe leaping as he ran toward Billy on the dock. That, along with his Cheerleading has me wondering about him. Oh, and there was a clip of him showing off his new braces. How do they show that with Bird standing there with her snaggletooth? Not sure how they'll pay for that, as Gabe said the offer of fish or game as barter was turned down. After Billy got released, we had broken boat drama, storm drama, running out of daylight drama - typical Brown hauling job. Oh, and they almost sunk the new skiff, porpoising it behind the Integrity. To fix that problem Bear went onto the skiff to raise the outboard out of the water - but he couldn't figure out how so Gabe had to help. How long have they had this skiff? They just drag it up on the beach back at their cove and he doesn't know how to raise the outboard??? Guess that's why they needed an inflatable dingy on the hunting trip. Matt and Bear couldn't be trusted to get ashore that rocky shore without destroying the outboard.

That about takes care of this week - except for the drama of Matt and rehab. I'm not going to poke fun at that, because I think he DOES need help. All I'm going to say is that the show and Discovery should be ashamed for making a mockery of those who are serious seeking help. They're using his rehab stay as a storyline to get viewers to watch as they drag it out over several episodes - wouldn't surprise me if that's this season's cliffhanger. And of course, anyone who can use Google and can read already knows about the rehab and that after a DUI hit and run conviction and month long inpatient rehab stay he says in interviews he's fine with social drinking and is not alcoholic

Edited by SRTouch
Correction
  • Love 2

Oh, and there was a clip of him showing off his new braces.

Thanks, you just reminded me about the dental stuff. Did all of you (or you'all if you are in my region) notice the previous dental work? At least two fairly big fillings/crowns/inlays (couldn't see the x-ray clearly enough to guess which. They also said he had an upward growing canine tooth (as I recall, feel free to correct me). I have heard about that, but if that is the case, he wouldn't get braces, this would require surgical removal of the tooth. As noted above, sad that this loser gets expensive dental care while Birdbrain has to go through adolescence/early adulthood with that horrible set of teeth (or lack of).

• Love 2
9 hours ago, DoctorK said:

Great, Noah creates a shocking new invention that lets them communicate with different parts of the ship. I think he should call it the "intercom"!

About 35 years ago my now ex, an electrical engineer, had a similar problem--he never heard his phone so rigged a light, some kind of LED to light up when it rang. Silly guy actually went with real supplies and skipped the whole jury-rig crap. Of course, he was an actual, for real engineer who knew electronics backwards and forwards...

I was going to comment on the latest but it was just so...eh. Boring. The only thing which might have rung true was Matt's rehab/alcohol problem and his legitimate fear/embarrassment in telling his family but even that was badly handled via orchestrated closeups and 'I love you, man' bromance stuff. I know this is cynical but, c'mon--this is a real problem with potentially life threatening consequences as opposed to the usual Browncrap where they might die!!!!

In this case it actually has that chance (I grew up with an alcoholic parent and it wasn't always a good time) and to tie it in with BS revolving the boat--yet again--not starting, an ohmygod storm which wasn't, almost destroying the skiff and so on all tied together with Ami's macrame dog hair bracelet....please. Just...seriously, please.

• Love 3

Another thought; the family (and especially Matt who was the adult involved) could have declined to allow his alcohol problem be included in filming. He opted--for whatever reasons--to let that very personal and seemingly real problem be included in this mess. I've no idea why that choice was made, perhaps pressure from TPTB? Maybe family pressure for interest/reality/$? Maybe they're so caught up in the show that they thought it should be shown? A warning to vulnerable viewers? Who knows but I'm not sure it would be my decision since--as with any dependency--the outcome is never assured.