Type keyword(s) to search

Season Four General Discussion

hang off the side of a boat (using one hand) while trying to haul in a fishing line.......  which is heavy enough that one hand is not enough.     because that's how bush fishermen do it.  ?

• Love 2

So the "boys" wander upon a trebuchet or a catapult as the rest of us would call it. The owner not only offers to give it to them, he helps disassemble it, loads it onto his crane truck, takes it down to the docks and transfers it to their boat. FOR FREE. All for free! Then when Bam's explaining it to Papa Bear he slips and says, "The guy who sold it to us said..."  Lies. All lies from Browntown.

I'm dating myself here, but does anybody else remember when Chris In The Morning had a catapult on Northern Exposure? They got an entire episode out of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppShcRlJeZI

Edited by CN42
  • Love 5

I'm dating myself here, but does anybody else remember when Chris In The Morning had a catapult on Northern Exposure? They got an entire episode out of it.

"It's not what you fling, it's the fling itself"  well, that's how I remember it anyways.  The look on Shelly's face SLAYED me.   Maybe if the Brown's visited Cicely it would make for a more interesting show...

Topic?  The show is so boring and bloated I keep forgetting a new season is on!   I finally did watch this week.   One thing that bugs me because I can't quite figure it out and maybe you folks can help - does it seem like Matt's accent is MUCH less... affected this season?  I could swear there were a few sentences last night where it was almost gone.  HOWEVER, I'm not sure if I have just gotten accustomed to it, and now it 'seems' less... fakey?  Just me?  The rest of them seemed pretty much the same.  

• Love 4

Okay, let's review;

• 30+ year old men, still living at home with no significant others, still looking to their father to tell them everything and won't make a move without instructions
  • a family of supposedly experienced professional fishermen who don't know how to run or dock a largish ship
  • and who get their nets caught in the prop
  • a supposed bush family who have yet shown any ability to built an appropriate home in the wild
  • said family is unable to prepare for a harsh winter, always caught out with bad weather a day late and a dollar short
  • haven't a clue about procuring or storing food for winter
  • or wood
  • or protecting needed tools
  • or having backups or replacement parts for their tools
  • repeated purchases of old, in poor repair boats/ships which cause endless problems or sink
  • repeatedly under or poorly dressed for the conditions
  • lost the crab pot because they failed to know the depth of the water then got lost trying to locate it, causing a rescue operation to find them
  • dental hygiene? Ha. Causing several emergency trips to town and (supposedly) barter to pay for treatment
  • allegedly unfamiliar with modern conveniences but evidently have (had) facebook pages and youtube videos posted
  • seemingly went through last winter with a (torn) tarp as roof on the house they supposedly built themselves (sure they did)
  • finally replaced the roof tarp with luckily found used tin sheeting--during a rain storm instead of just waiting a day to work more safely on a dry surface
  • not a clue about bear proofing
  • like a bear couldn't get into either of their hen houses?
  • tried to start a hauling business with an inappropriate boat which isn't rigged or outfitted for the job

There's lots more...anyone want to jump in here?

Pretty much got it covered.

Who really thought this was real at all?

So the "boys" wander upon a trebuchet or a catapult as the rest of us would call it. The owner not only offers to give it to them, he helps disassemble it, loads it onto his crane truck, takes it down to the docks and transfers it to their boat. FOR FREE. All for free! Then when Bam's explaining it to Papa Bear he slips and says, "The guy who sold it to us said..."  Lies. All lies from Browntown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppShcRlJeZI

I loved that show and remember Chris and his catapult.  (We have good shows to watch back then, didn't we?) :-)

• Love 2

from the last few shows and maybe a rerun.  

saw a cameraman walking among the trees (in the background) while the old friends were walking up to the cabin.

tears when the 'boys' were getting close to leaving on the boat to do some work.   they are in their 20's and 30's.     think there's pressure to stay very very close and never never leave?    yup!

leaving Gustavus,   a shot shows the towed skiff about 50 yards behind, next shot, it's 20 feet behind.

nice lumber for that chicken coop.   could have been used to build a small people-cabin.

right after the bear visit, they all pack up and leave.    they looked like they were leaving to go back to town.

but they're going fishing.  ok.   I guess sleeping on the boat is one way to get away from the bears.  all of them have to go.   of course.

board up everything first.   like you're going to be gone a long time.
hmmmm.     why not leave a man and a dog "home" to protect the empire?     no!  that's crazy talk!     all must sleep on the boat!

from the gunshot-signals episode.....   they got a nice couple seconds of   'bear'   quick-walking on a large downed moss-covered tree.

do you think it was dangerous for him to be tumbling down a hill with his rifle?   want to bet it was still loaded?   even a sibling could be heard telling him it was dangerous.    I don't recall seeing them arrive back at the house.    I suspect Disco blew a horn for an emergency HALT for safety reasons, and explained what was happening at the house, so they could walk safely.

(forget which episode, could have been a recent rerun...........)          this a good spot?   need a fire?    snap!    there's a fire, with neatly stacked  split pieces of wood. (handy one-inch wide pieces)

I still have a feeling the howling started after the show started.   anyone recall much howling during crazy season one?

(drum roll........... )             MY 2016 PREDICTION:   they abandon b'town and find a new place to invade.  someplace with fewer bears.  

• Love 2

(drum roll........... )             MY 2016 PREDICTION:   they abandon b'town and find a new place to invade.  someplace with fewer bears.

Maybe jail cells when the majority of the family is found guilty of theft by deception regarding that state stipend (or whatever it's called)? They should be bear free.

• Love 1

iirc, the prosecutor dropped charges against some of them.    were the charges reinstated?

I believe so.  The plea deal was rejected, so Pa and Bam withdrew their guilty pleas.  I would assume the state would renew their charges against the others

• Love 1

The Judge refused to sign the plea agreement and therefore the charges remain open against the others. The dismissal of the charges would have been done at sentencing of Billy and Bam. So, all the charges remain open for all of them. I have not heard of a new court date yet. The Judge wanted Billy and Bam to do some jail time.

Edited by NEGirl
  • Love 2

I doubt Discovery would just cancel the show without ever saying anything. They are milking this for all its worth. They just had another "recap episode" that shows deleted scenes, etc. Oh and Bam taught viewers Bush Sign Language, which is basically just normal hand gestures people use everyday.

Another thing that showed have fake this is, when Matt took the last of the lumber to build his beach house, Billy called a family meeting to figure out what to do because everyone needed to build something. It took like a 20 minute family meeting to figure out that they should cut down a tree! I would assume one would know that when experienced living in the bush.

Noah's lair looks like it stinks. Actually they all look like they stink. I feel bad for Rainy. Doesn't she want to make friends with kids her age? And go to school? And learn the proper way to apply her make up?

Oh and Ami, you act like your sons are children. Lots of other kids leave the nest at 18. it's weird that you and Billy have such a strong hold over your adult children. Who are in their 30s!

• Love 2

I agree with the "stinky" factor CatChick - *dry heave in corner* - along with the vibe of mentally challenged that Noah gives off, I doubt he will be finding his own Bush Barbie anytime soon.

Are the Brown's leaving Browntown?  From tonight's preview kinda seems that way...too bad, cause I LOVE to HATE this train wreck of fakedom.

• Love 1

No, didn't notice the cell phone (continuity must have screwed up) but while watching the boys make their various deliveries all I could think of was the 4 Stooges. Bam runs the ship into the dock pilings (Christ on a bike--any moron knows that you approach a dock at dead slow if you're not comfortable running the ship), causing damage we never see. Due to Bam's incompetency they have to tie to a floating dock and ferry washing machines to shore via a small skiff. They have to cut down a huge tree before they can load the not yet started sculpture for a delivery, they clumsily flirt with the local (hired by casting) fair maidens. Meanwhile, back at the ranch, Noah takes his conveniently, just happen to have, huge, pristine water tanks and uses them to install running water in the cabin. Mom is surprised with his fabulous addition to the homestead--clearly knew about it or was just filming her 75th take about it--gives the most apathetic reaction ever--and goes back to her knitting or whatever.

I'm starting to think that there may be some sharks in the local water they're getting ready to jump. Also, while watching Bam almost total the Integrity, all I could think of was if he was distracted, worried about maybe having to do jail time for his theft.

I think Disco hires the same people who plant stuff in the "Storage Wars" units to plant fully functional equipment at the "dump" in Hoonah. I watched almost a season of this not really thinking about the fakeness of it. The made up stuff just turned it into a comedy for me.

So, a bear grabs one board on a window and takes 4 boards down? They must have nailed the boards together then attached it to a window with a thumb tack. Then the bear ransacks every room of the house, including upstairs where there's no food. Again, their priceless heirlooms are destroyed, even though they lost everything on the boat last season. Then again, Billy got some new heirlooms some old neighbor was hoarding for 30 years. Bad idea leaving it with these guys.

One of the funniest things I saw from the behind the scenes was that Bam was pretending to be a newscaster and used his real name Josh, instead of Bam that they made up to sound more country. It's pretty easy to work out the real story of the Browns. Billy and Ami didn't like jobs and other people, so they moved out to the middle of nowhere and started a family funded by squatting and occasional grifting. Billy decides to write a book about this stuff. The Browns can afford to move to a real city, but Discovery needs them to act like they're still in the bush and don't understand how a toilet works, so they pay them lots of money to fake a TV show.

• Love 3

Are the Brown's leaving Browntown?

I don't know.   during last week's show, between the bear visit and leaving to "go fishing", I recall a shot where they were sort of lined up.  as if for a picture.    that's why I said above, that it looked like they were leaving to go to town.

• Love 1

So I'm still digesting last night's ep.

Is this a set up for possible cancellation with an escape clause if the lawsuits are dismissed and Billy is miraculously cured? Are they hedging their bets in case half the family is either in jail or on probation? Is Billy really sick/injured or is this another scam? Will it keep him out of jail? Are the production company/Browns going to leave that ungodly mess in what was pristine wilderness? Did they really just walk away after finding homes for the (unaccountably still alive) chickens? What apartment is going to allow a large dog and multiple cats? My own son had to practically sign his life away when he and his GF rented an apartment with their 3 indoor cats. Assuming that the Browns have no medical insurance, who's paying for multiple expensive tests/the apartment/airfare for 9 people + pets and all their various expenses--food, rent, bus passes and so on; production? You and me? And since Rain is a minor, is she obligated to attend school in Seattle or is Ami a suitable homeschooler? I thought homeschooled kids still had to pass some kind of required evaluations to be considered 'in school'. Does anyone know about this?

Did the production company carry the usual required insurance in case something like this happened? It's standard to have to get it before active filming can begin in case the lead actor dies or breaks a leg or whatever. Did that pay for all of this?

I was also wondering how they got from the Integrity onto shore when they got back home to see the bear damage...wasn't the skiff holed, sitting on top of the larger ship? I was also wondering about living in Browntown and needing to use the necessary...say you have to pee at 3 AM...would you really walk out to the outhouse in the dark, alone, dodging bears? Did they have chamber pots?

So many questions.

Edited by Beden
  • Love 4

I think Discovery used their out for the show last night.  If Billy and bunch are found guilty and go to jail, then the show is done.  If not, then Billy will be healed and they will start somewhere new.

I call total bullshit on the bear and the house.  Loved how the guitar that was propped up amidst all the carnage and no damage what so ever.  Everything else there with it was destroyed.  Plus, the house really looked like humans created that mess.  Can not see a bear that can rip down the boards and break a window to get in the house would not go after the chickens.  Guess Bird is a better builder than all the guys put together.

What are we going to do now that we don't have Billy telling us they could DIE?  So much for my Weds night shits & giggles show.  

• Love 2

One of the funniest things I saw from the behind the scenes was that Bam was pretending to be a newscaster and used his real name Josh, instead of Bam that they made up to sound more country...

I thought Bam got his name because of his skill docking boats.

• Love 4

What apartment is going to allow a large dog and multiple cats? My own son had to practically sign his life away when he and his GF rented an apartment with their 3 indoor cats. Assuming that the Browns have no medical insurance, who's paying for multiple expensive tests/the apartment/airfare for 9 people + pets and all their various expenses--food, rent, bus passes and so on; production? You and me? 

THey did not mention the Browns by name, but this would explain a lot.

http://mynorthwest.com/11/2783487/Roadside-moochers-or-a-sign-of-Seattles-expanding-homeless-problem

• Love 1

I really thought Billy was going to say he had a real medical condition... Silly me.

This family is an asshole casserole.

Also, I've been calling BS on the bear schpiel all season... It just looks computer-generated to me. Inside basically looked like a disgusting hoarder house and very similar to pics of how the Browns left their "town house"- pics in an article on last season's thread I believe.

• Love 4

I believe that there are real bears on that island, I also believe that production would have had some serious security around to protect their crew, if nothing else. And let's not forget that those cameras and the other equipment are some serious money; no one wants them to be trashed. This just reinforces to me that BS about the Browns having built the house and various buildings and stuff, being actual bush people (who are clueless about so many things, including bear proofing their homestead when they're away for a few days)...as if there were any doubts.

I agree; I think the production company is CTA's in case the court case goes against the various Browns. Even if Billy's illness is real (hey, I said 'if') and ends up dying, they could continue the show as the family carrying on despite the loss of their dad and leader because that's what bush people do. And no, I'm not wishing death on the man, just saying what could be done if they wanted to continue the show, generate income and all of that. Even if his health is up in the air that could be come a storyline in and of itself, how bush folks fare in the big city and all of that.

I guess we'll just have to see what happens. I know this season just ended like 10 minutes ago, but anyone hear about next season? I'm so embarrassed...I'm such a ABP whore.

• Love 3

The official facebook page stated more episodes were coming in 2016,

Ill admit im usually the first to smell a fake storyline,however I made an effort never to read anything about the bush people,call me sad but I really wanted this to all be above board.

I guess I was fooling myself though,I mean we were to believe all the sons had never had any other partners just living wild and hoping a woman would roll ashore one day.

However the "ilness" episode was so obviously fake,the part where Matt put his hand up to the camera was the worst acting I have ever seen.Also the way they all kept repeating "he could die" "this is it" etc way to contrived.

Its a get out clause as others have said,they get cleared and suddenly its all about finding another "home".

It has taken me a while to figure out what these bozos reminded me of. It jumped out at me when Bear smeared himself with mud and ran through the woods pretending to be hunting. This how is a bunch of 8 year olds play cowboys and indians in the woods. The squabbling, the over the top dramatising of every action and event, it is all about being prepubescently and playfully immature. A lot of this may be faking but it does fit with what other posters have noted, namely that the boys and girls are stuck in (or staying in) an artificially childish state, with none of them growing up and acting and living as adults. The family is a self contained cult, or at least successfully imitating one for the cameras.

• Love 2

I was thinking on the toilet last night, that they could have hired much better actors than these bozos to play "Bush People"- I could go to my local dive bar and pick out nine randos who could put on a better show than these people. Goes without saying that I know folks with trust funds and advanced degree who are more bush savvy than this mentally stunted asshole casserole.

• Love 2

They are living in a house in Seattle.  Or they were as of 2 weeks ago.  Not sure if the guys were living there but Billy, Ami and the girls were.

I'd be curious to know what name(s) is on the lease...the Browns or the production company, who's paying the rent/utilities.

The squabbling, the over the top dramatising of every action and event, it is all about being prepubescently and playfully immature. A lot of this may be faking but it does fit with what other posters have noted, namely that the boys and girls are stuck in (or staying in) an artificially childish state, with none of them growing up and acting and living as adults. The family is a self contained cult, or at least successfully imitating one for the cameras.

I think you've hit that particular nail on the head with this.Billy clearly controls virtually all their decisions and actions with everyone else waiting with baited breath to hear what he thinks or wants done at any given time. They also seem adrift without him to tell them what to do and seem frozen at the prospect of losing him. Okay, many of us have lost parents and it's horrible, but--as adults--we manage to go on and cope with whatever we need to deal with. I've no idea how real their actions and interactions are but yes, the kids are either seriously developmentally r******* or doing their best to pretend that they are. The exception seems to be Rain--at 15 or whatever she is she seems to be reasonably on target for her age, despite everything she's living with on this show. Even the fact that Billy and Ami still refer to their grown offspring as the kids is telling. My own son is 27 and we joke that he'll always be my baby but I know full well he's an adult and treat him as such. I also expect him to act like one.

Edited by Beden
  • Love 1

I think by the time Billy got a literary agent, the Browns stopped "living wild." Even the boys were only in their early 20's or so at that point. Then Discovery came and wanted them to replicate all the BS Billy wrote about. They kind of invented personalities for the guys based on them as teenagers, which is why they're so arrested in their adulthood.

I blame the Discovery Channel for faking reality for a decade and presenting it as fact. I thought American Chopper was bad, then Amish Mafia came along. ABP is a close second.

• Love 1

2 Members of 'Alaskan Bush People' Family Sentenced to Jail

By becky bohrer, associated press

JUNEAU, Alaska — Jan 11, 2016, 9:32 PM ET

Two members of the family featured on the reality TV show "Alaskan Bush People" were sentenced Monday to 30 days in jail after they were accused of applying for checks from Alaska's oil wealth fund even though they weren't entitled.

Billy Brown, 63, and one of his sons, Joshua, 31, pleaded guilty to misdemeanor unsworn falsification for lying on applications for the Alaska Permanent Fund Dividend. To qualify for the dividend, one must have been a resident of the state for the preceding calendar year.

The state is expected to dismiss charges against other members of the family who had faced charges in the case.

In November, Superior Court Judge Philip Pallenberg rejected plea agreements from Billy and Joshua Brown because they called for suspended jail sentences. Pallenberg said he thought there should be some jail time involved.

The terms outlined during Monday's hearing were in line with those in the rejected agreements, except they allowed for Pallenberg to impose jail time. He sentenced each man to 180 days in jail, with 150 days suspended.

The sentences also include community service, probation and fines, and neither man will be eligible for dividends in the future.

Restitution paid or expected to be paid by members of the family totals nearly $21,000, according to the Department of Law. Prosecuting attorney Lisa Kelley said the state is being made whole by getting the restitution.

Billy Brown's attorney, James McGowan, asked the judge to take Brown's health into account, saying Brown suffers from a seizure disorder, among other things. He said there was no need to incarcerate Brown, but the judge wasn't swayed.

Pallenberg said the sentencing goal of deterrence generally requires, in his view, jail time in dividend fraud cases.

In brief comments, Billy Brown apologized. Joshua Brown also made comments, though they were difficult to hear. The Brown family appeared telephonically.

No word about the other members regarding any indictments or any follow up that I'm aware of. And I'm curious--does anyone have any idea why only these two were sentenced and the other indicted Browns charges are expected to be dismissed. Plea deal?

Edited by Beden

I worked in the criminal justice field for over 30 years, so I can say this is a pretty normal sentence for their type of misdemeanor  offense. Plenty of time to serve their 30 days jail and be out long before they return to "the homestead".  However, if they are living in Seattle, they would need permission from their Probation Officer to leave the state to film in Alaska. They would have to work out filming around their Community Service obligations with the Probation Officer.

They have made more than enough money to pay off the money owed. Billy's attorney also referred to his health problems in a bid to keep him out of jail. 30 days will go by quickly and they will be out in no time.

Edited by NEGirl

No word about the other members regarding any indictments or any follow up that I'm aware of. And I'm curious--does anyone have any idea why only these two were sentenced and the other indicted Browns charges are expected to be dismissed. Plea deal?

It seems that it was a plea deal.  I seem to remember that when this first broke, it was told why the others were not charged. Truthfully, I think it would be easy to get some of them to just sign on the dotted line.  Some are not the sharpest knife in the block.  They all had to pay back some money, it seems that $2,000.00 was the max on the others.  I really think the rest were not charged because they are not smart enough to pull it off.

I worked in the criminal justice field for over 30 years, so I can say this is a pretty normal sentence for their type of misdemeanor  offense. Plenty of time to serve their 30 days jail and be out long before they return to "the homestead".  However, if they are living in Seattle, they would need permission from their Probation Officer to leave the state to film in Alaska. They would have to work out filming around their Community Service obligations with the Probation Officer.

They have made more than enough money to pay off the money owed. Billy's attorney also referred to his health problems in a bid to keep him out of jail. 30 days will go by quickly and they will be out in no time.

This is the State of Alaska.  It should be done there and not in Seattle.

• Love 1

But Billy's sooper sekret siezures can only be treated in Seattle!  That's why they had to leave their dump-stead, I mean "homestead" in Browntown.  Because Billy could not be treated in Alaska!  Because he might die and stuff!

Too bad their fradualating selves cannot be banned from collecting dividends from the fund in the future.

• Love 1

But Billy's sooper sekret siezures can only be treated in Seattle!  That's why they had to leave their dump-stead, I mean "homestead" in Browntown.  Because Billy could not be treated in Alaska!  Because he might die and stuff!

Too bad their fradualating selves cannot be banned from collecting dividends from the fund in the future.

They have been banned from receiving future dividends.  No reason for them to go back to Alaska now.

They should serve their jail time in Alaska but the Court makes the final decision. Probation will be served in the state they will be living. If it's Alaska probation will be served there, if living in Seattle, probation will be served in Washington State. When on probation a person is not permitted to leave the state they are living to travel without permission of their probation officer. This is a nation wide condition of probation no matter what state a person lives.  It will be interesting to see which state they do the jail time.

Iluvobx - When the whole info on the incident came out, newspapers reported that everyone but Matt(who was not living in Alaska) and the two girls were charged. Both girls were minors at that time. The original plea agreement called for all charges to be dismissed for everyone else and restitution paid for the money they owed when Billy and Bam were sentenced. The only change in the plea was the jail time for Billy and Bam. 

Should be interesting to see what happens.

Edited by NEGirl

They have been banned from receiving future dividends.  No reason for them to go back to Alaska now.

I must have missed that part-of course, I had a room full of elementary school kids at the time, all complaining that the interwebz was blocking their silly game sites....

I think the show implied that Alaskans go to Seattle when they need a specialist. It sounds like Billy's problem is one of those things doctors can't figure out so they just keep running tests.

Wonder if one of the conditions of probation will be to not claim to be an Alaskan Bush Person since it is proved they didn't live there long enough during the year to qualify for the dividend?    And has the judge seen this show?    I mean they give a whole new meaning to the word fraud.

• Love 1

I think the show implied that Alaskans go to Seattle when they need a specialist. It sounds like Billy's problem is one of those things doctors can't figure out so they just keep running tests.

I'm actually in awe that the production company apparently has not caught one of these seizures on camera-they caught the night vision bear, and bears in the woods and random crew members, but no seizures?   Not that I want to see that-my nephew has a seizure disorder, and he NEVER looks as 'good' as Billy does after an episode. NEVER.  Maybe it's just the family's general lack of grooming standards, but BB always looks exactly the same after a seizure as he does when he is 'working', eating, failing at boat....

I could be mean and say that the doctors in Alaska can't find any thing wrong with Billy because there is nothing wrong with him other than an aversion to working, but I'll just say that maybe his problems are not diagnosed because he did not go to a doctor.  Since Bush People are wary of modern technologies, doctors, lawyers, bears, other people, telephones.....

They have been banned from receiving future dividends. No reason for them to go back to Alaska now.

There's plenty of reason to go back if the show is picked up for another season and they continue to get whatever they get paid for this show.

They should serve their jail time in Alaska but the Court makes the final decision. Probation will be served in the state they will be living. If it's Alaska probation will be served there, if living in Seattle, probation will be served in Washington State. When on probation a person is not permitted to leave the state they are living to travel without permission of their probation officer. This is a nation wide condition of probation no matter what state a person lives.  It will be interesting to see which state they do the jail time.

Thank you for explaining, NEgirl...this does make it interesting and I wonder if there may (or may not) be any kind of medical consideration if BB is still under a drs care or still undergoing tests. I'm also wondering which state the Browns are currently claiming as their legal residence; I'd assume, perhaps wrongly, that spending a few months in Washington State for medical treatment wouldn't count if they pay taxes, or otherwise have a real claim to residency in Alaska.

Oh, crikey, what did I just write??? Everyone knows paying taxes is so lower 48...

Oh please, please let this be on Jail tv show!

Well, I was just reading about Billy & Bam and their sentencing and came across this from Celebrity Net Worth, which stated Billy's net worth is $500,000 and each person from Billy to Rainy gets paid for being on the show. The article said $60.00 to $60k. He is the author of 70(so it said) books and the family has made numerous nation wide tours for both of his autobio books.

According to the article I read about the sentencing, Billy stated they were living in Colorado & Texas. He gave some bs statement to the Court saying since they don't live a "normal" lifestyle, he lost track of the time periods as to where he was living.

*According to the article, the charges against the other family members were dismissed.

• Love 1

Well I never bought the line that they were broke and had to (badly) hunt and fish to survive; they'd all be dead by now if that were the case. I'm also not surprised that they have a decent net worth; they put enough scam effort into playing their roles, they might as well be compensated for it if someone is willing to pay. I guess. If there's money to be made there will always be someone (ie, the production company) willing to jump on the bandwagon.

The problem I have with this entire scenario is--as I've said before--in any scam there are people who are taken in, used and then thrown away. We've all heard or read of folks who believed this BS, sent money, DVD's, tried to reach out to these poor but plucky people and women who want to move up north and meet the various boys. Sad.

• Love 1

I didn't watch much of the early stuff, but producers were really laying it on thick when the kids supposedly didn't understand basic technology they would have seen on their regular trips to Hoonah or some other reasonably sized village. Didn't they once ask them to say what they thought a "smart phone" or "the internet" was or something ridiculous like that?

The part of Alaska they live in has a milder climate than New England.

https://weatherspark.com/averages/33027/Hoonah-Alaska-United-States

As I recall, Alaska has 5 distinct climate zones (I'm digging deep into memories from when I was stationed in Alaska in the mid-70's.) When the Browns got their chickens someone wondered how they would handle the cold. That's when I googled weather in Hoonah. Hoonah actually has pretty moderate weather - doesn't get too hot or too cold. Our record low in sw Oklahoma is colder than the record lows in that part of Alaska.

In fact, reading articles about raising chickens in that part of Alaska, they wouldn't even need to heat the coop (just make sure the chickens have access to unfrozen water). Something they would need to provide, if they ever actually live in Alaska during winter, would be some artificial light if they expect eggs. Chickens need 14-16 hours of light a day, as I remember.