Type keyword(s) to search

Season Four General Discussion

19 hours ago, saratothej said:

Aw look at Noah and his apparently real girlfriend from the show! This was posted on Rhain's Facebook page on Jan. 29 with the caption "Back in Alaska!"  I guess at least this relationship is real if nothing else on the show is.  Also, Noah still dresses like a goof, even outside of the bush. 

16406950_1456423551057287_53229073904862

Rofl, a pic outside an extended stay hotel?  Wait, what?  You mean they're not heading to Brownsville to live in Noah's "lab"?  Wow, I feel duped.  /sarcasm

• Love 3

Billy Brown is really starting to irk me on this show. I always got a weird vibe from him but now he's just downright selfish. God forbid one of his 30+ year old children leave the nest and try something different a for while.  "Bam's not here to help with winter prep..." What a crybaby.  No,  he's not there, and shouldn't be there. The only child that should still be living with you is Rainy. If the rest were normal, functioning adults, they'd be living on their own -- and staying in a shack 100 yards away from the parent's shack doesn't count.  The only parents who want their adult children living with them are those that use the children for their own benefit...such as doing all the work and chores.  Billy has tried to brainwash these kids just like he has done to Ami.  

Edited by saratothej
  • Love 4
14 hours ago, Beden said:

While it wouldn't be a surprise that they're tired of being shown as mindless morons do we know that's one reason there were rumbles of dissent when TPTB wanted to get the new season going?

I didn't know there rumors of dissent, if anyone has details I'd love to hear them.

Anyway, I'm not so sure they object to being depicted as morons (although if anyone would object, Bam would be my guess).  Bear in particular seems to enjoy being on TV with his tree climbing, somersaulting, extreme character.   Noah doesn't seem bothered by his "I'm smarter than my brothers" character.  I do think they are bothered by the talk that they haven't grown up or gotten lives of their own.  That's all just conjecture on my part though.

• Love 1

yup.

he said something about winter coming.      ha.       bush people need shelter, food, and fuel.    they are wasting time with a generator on a stick.    will that keep them warm all winter or feed them?

too bad the meat storage shed had to get messed up with some junkyard contraption door.   for the door, all he needed was a simple piece of plywood, held in place by a couple of horizontal 2x4 pieces.   not even a hinge.   after all, they wouldn't be going in and out frequently.   I doubt that shed could keep out a hungry grizzly.

• Love 2

Perhaps this was left on the cutting room floor, but with all those various structures and private 'homes' for the kids (or some of them) and that 2 story main house--how many cords of wood should they have ready by now to last the winter? I know I use at least 2 every winter and I'm not in Alaska--I'm in the Northeast and have a new oil burning furnace keeping my small house at 60. The wood stove is to warm it to comfort levels during the day when I'm awake and about. At night I have an as warm as they get make comforter. Oh, and my roof and walls don't leak...

The rumbles of discontent were rumors but basically said a couple of the boys were tired of shooting and having the cameras in their faces--understandable if true. On the other hand we know that they're getting some decent to okay money for this mess so the show goes on (for most of them). And yes, for me Billy's schick is getting old, repetitive and redundant.

Sooooo....they want us to believe that Matty can build  a meat shed (which I highly doubt is bear proof, but I'm not a professional meat shed builder so...) yet all he can build for himself to "live in the bush" is a underground bunker house, a plastic wrap house & a tire house? Come on Matty, splurge a little bit and build yourself a nice one story ranch style wood floored 10x10 foot HOA approved cell for the duration of your contract.  But alas, Camp Captain HOA Commander Billy must not have approved of such frivolousness for one of his male offspring.

What the heck is wrong with Extreme Awesome Bear??  Either he is a magnificent actor (see how I didn't use the words extreme or awesome there) or he is 3 beers shy of a 6 pack (oops sorry, they don't drink) or he is 3 donuts shy of a dozen.  Just when I thought no one could be as annoying as No-a-lot, Bear is taking the cake this season.  I just can't do the rolling around everywhere for no reason thing anymore. Can he maybe skip for a change?  I can't do the extreme and awesome words anymore.  I hear the word fantastic is cool right now Bear. And YES we know, you love to climb trees, you love your hair, mirrors, Michael Jackson inspired jackets, fist bumping and putting hunting paint (Rain's make-up) on your face.  If there is ever a tell all book in the future, I hope he's the one telling all about how stupid he had to act for the show.

How are half of them somewhat overweight if they all don't have enough food?  (I'm sorry, I'm pretending this scenario is real for a moment.)

Billy is tiring.  Same ole crap coming out of his pie hole.  Maybe he can't memorize lines very well so they just use the same ones over and over and over again.

Why oh why do daddy dearest and crybabiAmi get so upset every time the manboys want to do something on their own?  Creeeeeepy.  Even for a fake show this is a creepy story line.  

According to local sources, Bam is married to one time producer Allison Kagen.  They were supposedly married last spring/summer in Hawaii...when the whole family was there enjoying some warm weather and time off from their grueling schedules. Pretending to live in the bush is hard work people!!  Death is all around!! I'm assuming this is the reason for the Bam must go out and spread his wings and find a girl story line.  Of course the pics of Bam & Allison all over the internet visiting the dreaded lower 48 does kinda put a timeline kink in the whole find a girl story line.  Ruh ro.

According to rumors, Rhain is a real (yes - wow  - real) girlfriend of No-a-lot.  She is supposedly from Oregon and wanted an Alaskan adventure and by golly she just so happened to bump in No-a-lot in Juneau.  Sparks flew, birds sang, rainbows appeared and unicorns cried out with joy.  It didn't take long for creepy mama Ami to pop the children question to her, but she seemed strong, held her own, didn't cower.  You go Rhain, no literally go,  and rescue No-a-lot at the same time.  I hear Oregon is nice.

Yes, according to local rumors...there was some troubles (not the boat is always breaking down, we have no food and winter is today kinda troubles) that Matt, Bam, Gabe and Noah no longer wanted to do the show.  Commander Billy mad.  Contracts flashed in faces.  Threats of money cut off.  And voila...they were all back for filming. But, is it just me or does it seem the mood of these manboys changed.  You can see it in their eyes that they feel the ridiculousness of it all, especially in the company of Billy, and that they just don't want to be there.  Hey guys, you've some this far. Hang in there. (insert thumbs up)  You should all be proud that this is the longest job you all have ever had!   See, silver linings in everything.  I believe they are under contract for 1 more season, which is supposedly starting to film soon. 

• Love 4
17 hours ago, Dennie said:

Yes, according to local rumors...there was some troubles (not the boat is always breaking down, we have no food and winter is today kinda troubles) that Matt, Bam, Gabe and Noah no longer wanted to do the show.  Commander Billy mad.  Contracts flashed in faces.  Threats of money cut off.  And voila...they were all back for filming. But, is it just me or does it seem the mood of these manboys changed.  You can see it in their eyes that they feel the ridiculousness of it all, especially in the company of Billy, and that they just don't want to be there. 

Now that you mention it, there does seem to be some tension there in the scenes with Billy that weren't there before.  And it's interesting that you don't mention Bear, who seems to genuinely enjoy his position on the show.  Maybe the guys have read the comments about Billy using the kids for cheap labor - it's one of the first things that strike you when you watch the show.  Maybe they've read about how Billy and Ami have left their kids unprepared to function independently out in the real world, maybe there's some resentment there.  They surely must have seen these comments by now.  And maybe they've read about how Billy is making the vast majority of the money, while the show seems to focus mainly on the kids.

Regardless, they should just stick it out.  This isn't an opportunity that comes along every day.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, rmontro said:
17 hours ago, Rock knocker said:

It is truly a rare opportunity one has to appear mentally and emotionally stilted on national TV

Lol, true enough.  But what other skills do they have?

Scamming? BSing? Bill/obligation avoidance? Questionable personal hygiene?

• Love 2

I am starting to feel a little bit bad for these kids. It's clear that Billy is peddling them for his own gain, and has done so his entire life.  He's been looking for fame for a long time, as shown by the old videos of the kids trying to sell his books and their old family website. Does anyone really believe that brainwashed Ami has the right skill set to properly home school these kids past the fourth grade? The level of their isolation is obviously embellished for the show, but you can still tell the kids haven't had much of a social life.  It's not normal for your family to be your only friends.  I guess Billy thinks he's protecting them from the harm of the outside world but he's done them far more harm by forcing them to live in his world. 

• Love 3

I guess Billy thinks he's protecting them from the harm of the outside world but he's done them far more harm by forcing them to live in his world. 

I think you are giving Billy way too much credit. He keeps them as indentured servants to do all the work needed for Billy to maintain his lifestyle while doing nothing himself.

• Love 2

Billy has always given me the skeeves, but my theory is that he has abandonment issues after his entire family was killed when he was 15.  I think that's the reason that he has made sure the children were unprepared to ever leave the nest.  That doesn't make any of what he does right, but I bet he makes for quite an interesting psychological profile.  And yes, the kids also make for useful servants.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, rmontro said:

Billy has always given me the skeeves, but my theory is that he has abandonment issues after his entire family was killed when he was 15.  I think that's the reason that he has made sure the children were unprepared to ever leave the nest.  That doesn't make any of what he does right, but I bet he makes for quite an interesting psychological profile.  And yes, the kids also make for useful servants.

I agree with you--Billy likely does keep his family as close as he does because of a fear of losing them. It makes simple sense and the kids, knowing no other real life accept it as reasonable. I'm not talking about their BS 'bush' lifestyle--I mean the us against them mentality. The idea that family is all, that they're the only ones you can count on and must stay together at all costs is what they've all embraced and base everything on. On one hand it's a nice sentiment, on the other it causes the kids to become infantalized, dependent and socially awkward--unable to fully adjust to living in the world and interacting with the general population, even in a contained and small society like Hoonah.

Unless Billy deals with his own issues--which will likely never happen--that mindset will remain largely status quo, even if Bam and Noah manage to find lady friends. And the fact that they're making it work for them, laughing all the way to the bank as they play at being destitute backwoodsmen, reinforces that they can beat da'man at their own game.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Beden said:

I agree with you--Billy likely does keep his family as close as he does because of a fear of losing them. It makes simple sense and the kids, knowing no other real life accept it as reasonable.

I agree.  He wants them close and needs them close.  There is no way he & Ami would survive in any kind of wild or not wild environment without the boys doing things for them. The parents look rough and a lot older than their ages.   Doing this show has brought them money but in the long run it has backfired on them.  I don't believe they all lived in the bush for a long period of time, or maybe even any period of time. I think they have possibly lived as drifters & sheltered their kids, made them think that they couldn't make it on their own with mom and pop.  Now the big world is there for the kids and they have their own money to go & do what they want.  Unfortunately Bear and the girls do not seem prepared at all for the real world so they may stick around but I highly doubt the others will once the show is done.  Maybe in a few years Disco could do a show talking to the boys, without Billy around,  to see what really went on in their lives growing up.  Matt didn't get alcohol and drugs problems for no reason, and this had been known to be occurring before the shows started.

As much as Billy creeps me out, I think Ami may be worse with her passive aggressive attempt to make Bam feel guilty for wanting to leave.  I actually expected to see him back already, with ladyfriend in tow, but that may actually wait until next season, or the season finale (whenever that is).  Unless he has left the show for good, which I doubt.

Funny how no one hardly mentions Gabe in these discussions about independence.  Has he ever even had a date?  He seems to lack the confidence with the ladies that Noah and Bear have (in thier own screwed up way lol).

s4 e7 Field of Dreams recap

Let’s feed the cow and talk about the responsibility needed to take care of said cow. Then let’s turn our discussion towards who the cow likes the best. Rain is wearing kneepads for some reason, and they all stop to watch the cow poop... lovely.

So this week is called ‘Field of Dreams’, more like recurring nightmare.

Billy rehashes the turbine fiasco and is determined to make it good. He has another friend named Wes who just so happens to have the parts needed and tries him on the boat radio, no joy. Call Noah the Great and see what he says. Noah says nope, it’s busted, so Billy starts work on rebuilding the base for the turbine tower. He has bought some concrete somewhere and talks of the unforeseen expense while Bear and the others stand around in their new winter coats. Bear is dressed in some pimp fur coat spinning a shovel, Billy tells the churls to get busy and then walks off to read an Archie comic in the homestead. Bear punches concrete bag extremely hard to open it and they get mindlessly to work.

Billy is on boat calling Wes, and just thankfully the cameras were there to see Wes answer, what a coincidence! Turbine parts for 5000 board feet of lumber, OK will do !! Boys, get to work !!!

Billy now is with Rainyday to visit the beaver pond where a bear is feeding. Uh oh, can’t have bears roaming around ! We are then shown stock footage of trained bears roaming around waiting to get fed. Now night shots of a lost bear looking for his cage to be locked up for the night.

Next day the meat shed is torn apart and the rogue bear has stolen the deer meat kept inside. They all act so surprised, couldn’t the jerks hear the bear at night tearing the bed frame door down and thrashing around ? Billy sends extreme Bear and Snowflake to hunt a deer while made up like zombies and they get one !

Matt goes to Hoonah and meets up with Kenny and says he needs a freezer and guess what, Kenny has a brand new junk freezer that the Browns can just have. Later we see Matt putting it on the porch, how did he get it to the dock, in the skiff, guide the skiff home with a freezer in it and up to that porch ? Who cares ?

While everyone else is preparing for the harsh winter that never seems to comes, Noah and Rhain take off in the canoe (paddling with a snow shovel) to spend time on the beach. Noah came prepared and brought some orange cream soda, what a guy… After a whole two minutes they leave.

Bear gathers ice for freezer while constantly looking over his shoulder for the real bears to attack. As soon as he is safe at the shack, the camera films a trained bear walking through the brush searching for the salt lick that the crew placed there for him.

Cow won’t give milk, uh oh, the Browns are all going to die !… Billy rushes to town to get a vet and she is ready to drop everything to look at the Brown’s poor cow. Is it pregnant ? Nope, just needs bred at the island next door. Time to pay the vet, well, we never see that. And Billy has to take her all the way back to town while she screams at him "You owe me $200 for a house call you moron" !

Meanwhile, Noah makes an electric fence with some wire and a battery, like they should have done months and months ago to keep the bears at bay. Will it work, we will find out. Yep it works, Extreme Bear grabs it a couple times and his shock treatment therapy for the week is done...

Mill is barely working on the 5000 board feet of wood, not enough gas, they complain about no gas, yet traveled to town three times and never got a drop of fuel, what a bunch of fools.

Kitchen cookin’ with the Brown woman and Snowflake sneezes at least 20 times and then touches the food without cleaning her hands…yuck !

So they load the cow on the boat and the cow never looked happier to get the ef outta that horror show called Browntown. 

Bear is sent to the Titanic to get siphon gas out of the generator on the boat. A portable generator, on the boat. Doesn’t the diesel engine have a generator built into it ?  Why is the Honda generator on the boat, I’m confused…

So anyway, back to cutting wood with the deathtrap POS mill that Matt dreamed up, and we actually never see the thing cut any wood, and at the end there is like a dozen or so pieces of cut wood laying on the ground. No way they cut anyway near 5000 board feet of wood.

Next week is the season finale and then the hour long specials about what we have just watched, repeated over and over…

More, or less

Edited by realityobserver
got rain and snow mixed up
  • Love 6

Realityobserver--'can't thank you enough for filling me in since I missed last night's ep while at a birthday dinner for a friend. So, okay, 'didn't really miss anything other than SSDD...but glad to hear the cow rental contract is up--I actually was felling for that poor animal, even though I'd guess a couple of crew members were assigned to make sure she was okay. I'll maybe catch up with the ep next week when we get the annotated version...and then the last till next time? Assuming that there may be a next time/year, I guess.

• Love 1

Good recap realityobserver. One of the bright spots over at the IMDB forum they were.

What the heck is wrong with that Bear dude? Now he's punching ice and concrete sacks, and testing an electrical fence using himself as a meter. I have a few 30 amp service outlets and light sockets that need testing, I wonder if he's available for hire :D Too many incidents of falling out of trees right on to his head, and chemical exposure there, between the cement dust, and the gas siphoning, and who knows what else.

One possible continuity, was the siphoning of fuel from the integrity. If memory serves me, the Integrity has diesel engines, meaning that in all likelihood, the onboard generator would be diesel as well.

In other news, Sabrina is violated, but this time it's not by Bear :D

Edited by wanton87
Sentence structure
  • Love 1

Filling gas cans from what looks like a pretty new generator that probably doesn't even hold  a gallon of gas at any one time??  Not only that but it's raining so he's contaminating said gas in both the generator tank and the fuel can??????  Idiot.   (I'm saying gas can and I know its the nice fuel jugs)

The girl sneezing constantly while preparing and cooking food was just gross. 
Noah had to take his girl on a date when there was so much work to be done to prepare for winter.    Oh Noah, you better get a little bit smarter or your family could all die.  And then, he had the electric fence hooked up to what looked like a battery charger (even though he said it was an old battery).  Battery chargers of that size have to be plugged in to electricity to produce the charge he's getting.

And then we have the "hunting" expedition.  Rainbird Oakley" makes  a kill shot from quite a distance on a deer that is laying down in heavy brush.  Right. 

If you believe any of this I have a bridge you might be interested in.

• Love 1

Bear is sent to the Titanic to get siphon gas out of the generator on the boat. A portable generator, on the boat. Doesn’t the diesel engine have a generator built into it ?  Why is the Honda generator on the boat, I’m confused…

The boat has a diesel engine and probably only a 12v electrical system.  Given all the problems they have shown us with the ill-maintained batteries and boat electrical, a method of charging the batteries independent of the boat isn't a bad idea.

Did you notice how nice the concrete forms for the turbine base were?  With nicely placed and bent rebar?  And then the folks who started to mix the concrete are limited to only using fists and forearms as tools.  You gotta wonder why they didn't actually show the Brown's making the forms, bending the bar and pouring the concrete?  You don't think that some hired hands drove eight miles from town on the roads that google earth show just behind Brown Town and did all that work do you?

Next week Noah shacks up.  Will his chivalry survive?

• Love 2

The Integrity/Titanic diesel battery configuration is something I would know absolutely nothing about, thanks for the clarity on that subject Rock knocker and Wanton87... I was just confused as why the generator was on the boat (when the boat seemed to already have a generator) when it would be a lot more useful at Browntown. Maybe the cult has two generators, one for the boat and one in the camp.

I was going to mention the professional forms and rebar in the recap, but edited it out mainly because, again, I really do not know much about construction. I have poured cement a few times, but I am not an expert. I kept waiting for the crew to smooth the concrete using spatulas and butter knives...

RO

I was just confused as why the generator was on the boat (when the boat seemed to already have a generator) when it would be a lot more useful at Browntown.

What it is realityobserver, is that many boats, RV's, and semi-trucks of the variety that have sleeper cabs, have an onboard generator. It's physically mounted in the vehicle, and tied into the same fuel supply, so it's not portable. It's for use when you shut down the main engines, and need power beyond what the deep cycle batteries can store. Usually a boat that old would not have had a generator originally, but since this one was a military craft, it probably did.

• Love 2

Edit: I guess I misunderstood your initial post realityobserver. It appears that you are suggesting that they were using a portable generator on the boat. Which would make sense if the Integrity's generator was non-functional. But portables usually don't hold that much fuel.

Edited by wanton87
wording
  • Love 1
24 minutes ago, wanton87 said:

Edit: I guess I misunderstood your initial post realityobserver. It appears that you are suggesting that they were using a portable generator on the boat. Which would make sense if the Integrity's generator was non-functional. But portables usually don't hold that much fuel.

Just from what I saw on the show, it looked like a portable Honda generator, the kind you wheel around... As much as I hate to, I will watch that certain part of the program again and put this to rest... haha

And if it is portable, why is it on the boat... As Rock knocker said, the boat's generator only supplies 12 volts, where as the Honda is 110 v, and if that is what the generator is used for, 110 v usage on the boat, then it makes sense... I could call the Browns and ask, but I don't speak r*****... haha 

RO

• Love 1

As much as I hate to, I will watch that certain part of the program again and put this to rest... haha

Oops; sorry to be the cause of any additional pain to you :D

Edited by wanton87
wording
  • Love 1

Thank you for the rundown realityobserver.   I missed the second half as I fell asleep.  Before the show was dumb but entertaining, now it is still dumb but it's getting a bit boring.  The fake drama is getting unbelievable; it's almost along the lines of a Gilligan's Island weekly drama but at least Gilligan's Island characters were lovable.  I'm just waiting for Billy's next medical problem...it has been a while.

"Bear is dressed in some pimp fur coat spinning a shovel"    hahahaha you nailed it.  He is an odd little man.  I think he is the only one of the boys having fun with the show though.  He gets to roll around extremely, act weird & immature and get paid for it.  I must say he is the most annoying of the bunch, well, next to Billy.

I thought Matty said on the previous show that since bears can't crank the wheel to the meat shed door,  that there would be no way for a bear to get in.  I guess the bears are smarter than Matt.  Every time I see them using that mill that he made I cringe waiting for some fingers or head to be cut off.  And seriously...5000 boards.  On that thing?  I think not.

Poor Gabe.  He looks like he soooooo doesn't want to be there.  Someone mentioned it funny how we never hear if Gabe is dating or wants to date.  I was thinking the same.  Or maybe he's the smart one and doesn't want his real life mixing with this hot mess of a show.

• Love 2

I watch this show as if it was any other scripted tv show, just as if I was watching The Big Bang Theory. I can't believe that they spent much time being self sufficient. 

13 hours ago, Dennie said:

I thought Matty said on the previous show that since bears can't crank the wheel to the meat shed door,  that there would be no way for a bear to get in.  I guess the bears are smarter than Matt.  Every time I see them using that mill that he made I cringe waiting for some fingers or head to be cut off.  And seriously...5000 boards.  On that thing?  I think not.

I agree completely that the wood will never be delivered (unless the paid crew does the actual work) but board feet are different than # of boards. A, say, 12 foot long board which is a foot wide would = 12 board feet. It's still a buttload of wood, no matter how you look at it and the erector set mill courtesy of Matt is, well.....um...yeah.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Beden said:

I agree completely that the wood will never be delivered (unless the paid crew does the actual work) but board feet are different than # of boards. A, say, 12 foot long board which is a foot wide would = 12 board feet. It's still a buttload of wood, no matter how you look at it and the erector set mill courtesy of Matt is, well.....um...yeah.

12' long by one foot nominal width by one inch nominal thickness is twelve board feet.  You have to remember that board feet is a measure of volume.

Five thousand board feet is a lot, and if you noticed, they didn't talk about the dimensions.  If you cut a bunch of 2x3's, and the other individual need floor joists, then what?

But to think you could cut 5000bf of standing lumber with no tractor in four days is not believeable.

• Love 1
49 minutes ago, Rock knocker said:

12' long by one foot nominal width by one inch nominal thickness is twelve board feet.  You have to remember that board feet is a measure of volume.

Five thousand board feet is a lot, and if you noticed, they didn't talk about the dimensions.  If you cut a bunch of 2x3's, and the other individual need floor joists, then what?

But to think you could cut 5000bf of standing lumber with no tractor in four days is not believeable.

Ok, I admit I haven't watched the latest show, but this talk of their new logging/lumber business raises a couple questions in my mind. First, no way does a tinker toy saw mill produce much lumber. Second, did the idiots figure out how to produce dimensional lumber yet, or are they still just cutting slabs? Third, really a silly question since we're talking Brownclowns - even if Browntown is on private land, the whole island is in the Tongass National Forest. How many trees can they cut down before they need to get permission from the Forestry folks? My understanding is it's usually ok to cut trees for personal use, but as soon as you start selling lumber or firewood (or Christmas trees) you need permits. So, can they skate by claiming it's barter - no money changing hands? Sure, sometimes the Forestry folks want diseased/dead standing trees cut and don't mind you cutting, but sometimes they want to keep some as habitat for critters. Aren't there rules about how high the stumps can be? From the clips I saw, looks like every tree they cut wastes a couple feet of usable log because they're too lazy to bend over and cut closer to the ground.

Edited by SRTouch
Wording changed
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Rock knocker said:
6 hours ago, Beden said:

Yes, you're right--my answer was incomplete. And, seriously, this is ABP; in 5 minutes (or the next episode) the plot/script will have another 'project' for the boys to play with and the saw mill will be relegated to wherever the cow was returned to, the chickens really live or simply abandoned like 90=% of everything they do for the cameras.

• Love 2

Anyone who has a milk cow knows it needs to have a calf yearly to keep producing milk. Morons.  You know we won't see that cow again.  

Billy makes my skin crawl. 

Both he and Amy have done a great job in brainwashing their kids in order to become parasites in their kids lives.   I don't see those girls getting married anytime soon.  

Hope Bam never returns.  

• Love 2

5000 feet of lumber is an awfully tall order to fill with that Rube Goldberg wannabe contraption, slapped together with great care by supreme mechanical engineer Matt Brown :D That thing looks as if it has at least a few amputee "patients" in its future, and I wouldn't get within a country mile of it wearing anything less than a full suit of armor :shock:

It also seems like a large price disparity for the lumber vs the generator, but admittedly, I've never priced one.

And unless I imagined it, wasn't the original order for 7000 feet?

Edited by wanton87
wording
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, wanton87 said:

And unless I imagined it, wasn't the original order for 7000 feet?

Yeah, it was, but then Billy talked him down to 5000... I bet they can't even deliver a 8' 2x4, let alone the 5000 board feet of lumber...

RO

Edited by realityobserver
signed my name
  • Love 1

Yeah, it was, but then Billy talked him down to 5000...

Ahh, okay, thanks; missed that part. I've often got other things going on while this show is running in the background. But yes, even 5000 feet is highly unrealistic.

1 hour ago, wanton87 said:

Next up, Bear falls from the top of a large pine 60' straight on to his head. He will never be the same, which can only result in a much improved Bear :D

That would be funny, he could start dressing in a suit, lose the dutchy accent, start talking in perfect English, and express interest in getting a real job..  You should be a script writer on this show!

Regarding Rock Knocker's question about the dimensions:  Matt made a comment at one point about how they had finished all the siding, and were moving on to whatever else.  So obviously we didn't get to see all the details of the deal.  Pretending this is all real for a moment:

Matt even said he didn't plan on using the mill for business purposes, just for providing wood for the family.  That didn't stop Billy from stepping in and having it used for his own purposes though.  And sure enough, it didn't hold up to the labor.  And we got the typical scene where Billy gathers everyone to tell them how much work needs to be done, and telling everyone to "Git it!" while he goes off to have a nap or stare at Ami. 

• Love 3

I feel so sorry for Snowbird. They need to fix her teeth FIRST. Before they waste one more penny on anything.  Give that poor girl a chance to get out and find someone to love, someone to love her.

15 hours ago, realityobserver said:

Yeah, it was, but then Billy talked him down to 5000... I bet they can't even deliver a 8' 2x4, let alone the 5000 board feet of lumber...

RO

Of course they can't but the production crew will be able to come up with it one way or another--if they even have to since this is all BS scripting and has no more to do with reality than the cow and chickens or their hauling business do.

6 minutes ago, Swim mom said:

I feel so sorry for Snowbird. They need to fix her teeth FIRST. Before they waste one more penny on anything.  Give that poor girl a chance to get out and find someone to love, someone to love her.

I share your pity for this young lady; clearly she's drunk the koolade or is seriously playing her part as a born and bred bush baby to the hilt. If it's the latter she may clean up just fine off camera (her teeth notwithstanding). The younger girl (I've whiffed on her name for the moment) just seems to be playing along then goes back to the rented rooms at the Hoonah lodge and lives her real life like a  real person.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, wanton87 said:

Good to see you and some of the others here from IMDB rmontro :)

Likewise.  I need to find me another source of info for trailers, cast, etc., because once those forums go down, I don't intend to ever use that site again.  A meaningless gesture, I'm sure, but it's the principal of the thing.

Regarding Bird's teeth, I believe she's over 18 now, so my theory is that it is her decision not to get her teeth fixed.  Billy and Ami both have talked about having a distrust of doctors, so most likely she's inherited that.  And a lot of people are afraid of the dentist.  Of course the parents should have had them taken care of a long time ago.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, rmontro said:

Likewise.  I need to find me another source of info for trailers, cast, etc., because once those forums go down, I don't intend to ever use that site again.  A meaningless gesture, I'm sure, but it's the principal of the thing.

I'd stick with The Movie DB for that purpose rmontro. The Moviechat.org site is another one worth checking out. It's only a few days old and has very few features at the moment, but it's really starting to shape up and is looking like it's going to be a good site. Totally agree. I'll avoid that site like the plague from now on.

Edited by wanton87
spelling
  • Love 1