Type keyword(s) to search

Season Four General Discussion

(edited)
1 hour ago, rmontro said:

By the way, I was watching some reruns last night, and apparently Bear is the one who said the male female ration in Alaska is 7:1.  Although he could have learned it from his father  :)

Well, it's quite possible rmontro that when the first question out of one's mouth while on a first date is “do you like to climb trees”? The end result might very well be a male/female ratio of 100:1 for that particular individual ?

I missed last night, but I was wondering if they would have some sort of compilation special, with bonus scenes, and it sounds like they did.

I posted a comment over at Railing Kills site mentioning this site and inviting him over. I figured I'd give his site a plug. Some of his images alone are a riot! Looks like he just posted the latest episode:

http://railingkill.com/alaskan-bush-people-episode-recap/s06e08-wind-and-a-prayer/

Edited by wanton87
Typo
4 minutes ago, wanton87 said:

Well, it's quite possible rmontro that when the first question out of one's mouth while on a first date is “do you like to climb tress”? The end result might very well be a male/female ratio of 100:1 for that particular individual ?

That thought did cross my mind...   

Yeah, they had a sort of behind the scenes special with lots of deleted scenes last night.  I just happened to notice it said "new", which could mean anything, but it was worth the watch, I thought.  

You're right about some of the pictures on Railing Kill's site.  The gnome that looked like Billy, and Bear siphoning the igniting gas really got me.  I'll check out his latest recap when I have a bit more time.

So this week I was looking at them and trying to find any similarities with each other and with the parents.  I can find very little.  If the girls were next to each other, you would say "Yeah, they are sisters" but they don't look like any of their brothers and their brothers do not look alike.  Put them in a line and try to guess if they are related...can't find the similarities.  Can anyone point out their similarities (other than the bad teeth) to show they are brothers/sisters?  

• Love 1
(edited)
3 hours ago, AZChristian said:

If it weren't for the pictures of them all together as kids, I'd think we're being punked by a group of bad actors.  I know . . . there's Photoshop for those pictures, but they look real.

Ha!? I was about to post something similar AZChristian. With the accents fading in and out like a bad Shakespeare production, at first I suspected that they were either C grade English or Australian character actors, playing the parts in a stage (staged) production. But probably about the only thing realistic about this show is that they are a family, and the jury is still out on that one.

Edited by wanton87
Wording
  • Love 3
(edited)
5 hours ago, AZChristian said:

If it weren't for the pictures of them all together as kids, I'd think we're being punked by a group of bad actors.  I know . . . there's Photoshop for those pictures, but they look real.

Nah, I think they're family - a family who have been rehearsing this bush family act for years. Remember, before they talked their way into the TV show they were trying to cash in on the oil money discounts intended to bring film production to Alaska, shopping around to make Billy's fantasy book a documentary. As I recall, the Alaska state government established a program to subsidize film production as a means to get a new industry to the state - hence all the Alaska shows that popped up. And, if I'm correct, many Alaskans were less than thrilled with the way they were portrayed with a bunch of the fake reality shows, and a subsequent governor ended, or is ending, the program.

Anyway, way back, before the show, Billy wrote his book and the band of grifters supposedly traveled around the lower 48 in an Rv trying to sell the book. Used to be you could find sites online (with horrible spelling/grammar) offering books for sell - but by the time I checked the books were out of print and unavailable. Who knows how much truth there is to the story, as it appears someone, probably the production company, tries to delete as much as possible when stuff doesn't match the party line. I remember when the stories of long lost daughter meeting up with the gang in Hawaii came out I saw copies of posts from a closed facebook account made public that suddenly become unavailable when I went back to reread them a second time.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is I believe this pack a grifters practiced this story for years long before the TV show. 

Edited by SRTouch
Wording changed
  • Love 4

There was another part in the recent behind the scenes show that I found amusing.  They were talking about how Bam had gone to the lower 48 to be with this woman he had found.  And someone (Billy, I think?) said "Oh, that's why he's building that house in the woods".  But now we know that the family bartered away his wood!  Apparently being a member of the family doesn't protect you from the grifting, lol.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, rmontro said:

Apparently being a member of the family doesn't protect you from the grifting, lol.

The old idiom, “there is no honor among thieves” comes to mind here rmontro :D

• Love 3
8 hours ago, wanton87 said:

The old idiom, “there is no honor among thieves” comes to mind here rmontro :D

I thought that the idiom was 'honor among thieves'...ala the Godfather. But shows what I know...and we're talking about the Browns here, after all.

2 hours ago, Beden said:

I thought that the idiom was 'honor among thieves'...ala the Godfather. But shows what I know...and we're talking about the Browns here, after all.

You're also correct Beden, it exists in both forms. With regards to the mob, despite some of the crimes that they committed, they did have a strict set of rules and codes in place, such as don't ice a guy in front of his family or on his birthday ( I'm making that part up :D ).

Apparently the version that I quoted goes all the way back to biblical times, and was quoted by Solomon in Proverbs 21:10-11 – “There is no honor among thieves.” But sinners such as wanton would not be aware of such things ?

I think why Billy and Ami don't encourage the girls to marry is obvious, they feel it's possible for the boys to find a gullible girl.   It's harder to find a man that will put up with their nonsense, unless he's just as much as a scammmer as they are.  I think it's all about control.  Billy's control over his family.  

• Love 4

They had another deleted scenes show on last night, centering on a party the kids were throwing for local bush people and friends of Billy.  Some of the names were kind of amusing:  Septic Tank Jake, One Armed Pat, Insane Wayne.  I guess it's no more silly than Merry Christmas Raindrop Brown.

Billy was crying about the local towns shrinking because it was the "end of the bush".  I would think that if they wanted to live wild, they would be happy the towns were disappearing, because that just means there is more wild area to live in.  What happened with the lower 48 is that the towns increased in size and encroached on everything.  I guess if the people would disappear there would be no one to grift.

Anyway, they showed the Bush kids transporting the mystery cannon to their beach, which they fired off at their party.  They said they were there doing something else but dropped everything when they saw the cannon.  But they never said who they got the cannon from, how much they paid (or bartered) for it, or even if it was just given to them.  Odd.

The highlight of the show for me was Noah pronouncing "cellphone" as "cellpha ona".

• Love 2

Why do I still watch this shit show?  Shame on me.

Used to be a great shits & giggles.

Ship Billy, Ami, Bear and No-ah off and it might be okay.  

Uh Bear, no not everything is Extreme or Awesome.  Most of your shit is just that, shit.  Nothing extreme or awesome.  Learn a new word!

• Love 2
On 3/9/2017 at 11:44 AM, rmontro said:

They had another deleted scenes show on last night, centering on a party the kids were throwing for local bush people and friends of Billy.

Oh my God, showing deleted scenes already... I missed this and really don't care...

Now if they would just show the deleted scenes where Billy gets his paycheck from Discovery, where Ami calls room service and complains her steak is medium instead of rare as she ordered it, where Matt is passed out on the deck, where Bear falls out of a tree and suffers brain damage, where Bam is shown working at a Home Depot in Klamath Falls, Oregon, where Noah blows himself up, where Bird loses her cellphone and demands the production crew to stop filming until they find it while she waits in her trailer/dressing room, where Snow discovers crystal meth, where Sean Connery visits Gabe and beats the crap out of him, where  Cupcake sneaks off late at night to go live with anyone else.... Well, then I will watch... 

• Love 5
11 hours ago, iluvobx said:

Uh Bear, no not everything is Extreme or Awesome.  Learn a new word!

Bear is the poster child for the necessity of crash helmets iluvobx. Every time he falls out of a tree, and kills even more brain cells, he further reduces his already limited vocabulary. At this point they could replace him with Koko the gorilla and it would be a considerable improvement. ?

Edited by wanton87
Wording
  • Love 3

Bear is the poster child for the necessity of crash helmets iluvobx. Every time he falls out of a tree, and kills even more brain cells, he further reduces his already limited vocabulary. At this point they could replace him with Koko the gorilla and it would be a considerable improvement.

I've actually started to wonder and half believe that the personas which the Brownites are showing in each episode are really scripted and assigned. You know; Matt--you're the friendly idiot, Bam--you're the gruff but secretly sweet bro, Noah--you're the resident genius (?), Bear--you're...awesome, Mom--you're the bush madonna and so on.

If these people really are as portrayed it's beyond me why they haven't either been killed or arrested.

Oh...wait, that's right....

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Beden said:

I've actually started to wonder and half believe that the personas which the Brownites are showing in each episode are really scripted and assigned.

Yeah, I pretty much had those same thoughts as I was typing this up. Back when I used to watch the show Survivor, it soon became apparent that they were either choosing the participants based on persona, or editing/scripting the show in such a way.

Someone over at Railing Kills site mentioned what is said to be an actual reality production about The Yukon, by the name of “Yukon Passage”, produced in 1977. It's short, only an hour I think. But I think I'm going to check it out.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, wanton87 said:

Someone over at Railing Kills site mentioned what is said to be an actual reality production about The Yukon, by the name of “Yukon Passage”, produced in 1977.

Wanton87, yeah, that was me who posted that comment at RK. Made in 1977, it is an interesting story of 4 guys who travel through the Yukon and Alaska for several months. Only an hour long and narrated by James Stewart. Produced by National Geographic. I think I read somewhere that these guys did the trip and then did it again so NG could film it. Is it scripted ?  I don't know , but it shows a truer sense of the Yukon and Alaskan lifestyle than that truly scripted garbage known as Alaskan Bush people (IMO). I've watched it many times and enjoyed it every time...

Find the full length video here on Youtube...  You can even buy it on DVD

yukon.jpg.28a2aeb42011c6f09f2297e250e66c91.jpg

• Love 2

Thanks for the heads up RO. At first I couldn't even remember where I read about it.

A few of these shows seem to be more based in realism than the others, such as Yukon Men, but who knows anymore? Don't really watch Alaska, The Last Frontier, but having a tough time buying that they're struggling, when their close relative is a millionaire, singer/songwriter, country music star.

I can actually remember the days back when Discovery was about science, and well, discovering things...

Edited by wanton87
Wording
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, wanton87 said:

I can actually remember the days back when Discovery was about science, and well, discovering things...

Ah yeah, SciFi was full of science fiction, MTV had videos, CMT was country music, etc.

• Love 3

Watched the compilation episode last night, and saw a little of last weeks episode that aired before it, in which the Browns were trying to track down some old friends.

That Bear dude is so over the top, you just can't take anything about the guy seriously. Let's see, what's the safest, most effective way to illuminate a forest? I know, a road flare!

But Smokey didn't approve ?

Edited by wanton87
extra link
  • Love 2

I caught some of the compilation episodes too.  Where to begin?  I meat cache on the ground?  Predators can't climb trees?  Parents acting like the one leaving at the age of 30 is running away from home?  Jesus, Joseph and Mary!  We have kids from 20 - 28 and even the 20 year old can come and go as he pleases.  We are thankful he thinks enough to keep us notified of his whereabouts.  They can attend or not attend any function they want.  They can just come and eat and say their goodbyes.  No one blinks an eyelash.  To see them crying and Billybob saying how Bam leaving is going to be hard on the family.  Just found the Bam fan page of FB and can't believe people actually believe this is all real. Ha ha ha.

They could at least watch Alone in the Wilderness by PBS.  Excellent documentary about Dick Proenneke and his own adventure living in the Alaskan bush.  He was smart and had his cache built up and the episodes depict his daily life of building a cabin, hunting, fishing, farming etc and it all makes sense.  He did it alone and even filmed himself.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, jumper sage said:

They could at least watch Alone in the Wilderness by PBS.  Excellent documentary about Dick Proenneke and his own adventure living in the Alaskan bush.  He was smart and had his cache built up and the episodes depict his daily life of building a cabin, hunting, fishing, farming etc and it all makes sense.  He did it alone and even filmed himself.

That's an excellent documentary Jumper Sage, and I highly recommend that anyone that has not yet seen it, check it out. I was nothing short of astounded at what this guy was capable of producing using only hand tools.

• Love 1
On 3/21/2017 at 11:44 PM, jumper sage said:

Parents acting like the one leaving at the age of 30 is running away from home?  Jesus, Joseph and Mary!  We have kids from 20 - 28 and even the 20 year old can come and go as he pleases.

Yeah, but are you using your kids as slave labor?  The first thing Billy talked about when Bam left was how now he wasn't going to be able to help out on all the "family" projects. 

On 3/22/2017 at 11:43 AM, wanton87 said:

I was nothing short of astounded at what this guy was capable of producing using only hand tools.

I used to watch "The Woodwright's Shop" on PBS, because the guy used all hand tools, which made it more interesting to watch.  You don't really need power tools for most tasks, although they speed things along.

• Love 1

On my local stations (perhaps on yours as well) they were running the first season, including the original premier plus subsequent eps.

But I'm just human. I just couldn't.....

Any word on if/when a new season happens or has the plug been pulled?

9 hours ago, rmontro said:

Yeah, but are you using your kids as slave labor?  The first thing Billy talked about when Bam left was how now he wasn't going to be able to help out on all the "family" projects. 

Why yes we are.  Those past high school are required to help out driving the younger ones to activities, do their own laundry and pitch in on cooking and chores.  You give me an idea though.  When any of them complain I will force them to watch an episode of this crap and then expect them to bow in my present.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, jumper sage said:

Why yes we are.  Those past high school are required to help out driving the younger ones to activities, do their own laundry and pitch in on cooking and chores.  You give me an idea though.

I think there's a big difference between requiring kids to do chores and "slave labor", including trading off your kids to work in barter situations that would benefit you.  There's also the question of intentionally leaving your children ill prepared for life indepently in the real world, so as to encourage them to stay in the immediate family and provide for you.

7 hours ago, AZChristian said:

Just to make (or ruin) your evening . . . I just saw on FB that the show has been renewed.  WHY?????????

Because it's entertaining.  If it wasn't, we wouldn't be on this board talking about it.  Okay, it's entertaining in a warped, "how can they get away with that"  sort of way, but I still maintain it's entertaining.

3 hours ago, rmontro said:

I think there's a big difference between requiring kids to do chores and "slave labor", including trading off your kids to work in barter situations that would benefit you.  There's also the question of intentionally leaving your children ill prepared for life indepently in the real world, so as to encourage them to stay in the immediate family and provide for you.

Well, yes and I suppose that it could even be construed as a form of child abuse. But...and this is the somewhat shady catch...Billy and Ami have managed to wrangle themselves and the kids into a reasonably well paying gig through their suspect and faux lifestyle. They're evidently getting room and board paid for plus whatever their various paychecks amount to in exchange for their participation in the show. It could even be billed/sold to TPTB as an acting job in which they're playing characters in a quasi-reality show.

It's a scam, of course, and they're taking their viewers on a ride but it's, I'm sure, listed under entertainment should there be any question.

And no-I'm not for a second defending them. I'm just saying.

Because it's entertaining.  If it wasn't, we wouldn't be on this board talking about it.  Okay, it's entertaining in a warped, "how can they get away with that"  sort of way, but I still maintain it's entertaining.

Agreed, it's good entertainment. Kind of like Joel and the bots sitting down to roast a B movie on Mystery Science Theater 3000.

Someone recently posted this article over at the MovieChat Alaskan Bush People page:

The Brown family just can’t seem to keep themselves out of trouble.  According to the latest Alaskan Bush People rumors, it’s not the Brown family’s fault that their show may be canceled; it’s their “haters” and their terrible stories!

Meanwhile, according to the latest Alaskan Bush People rumors from Travelers Today, if the show does indeed continue, it’s going to do so without one key family member; Bam Bam.

Finally, according to a previous report by the Inquisitr about the latest Alaskan Bush People rumors, despite all the controversy, it does look like there’s going to be a Season 7.

Edited by wanton87
Extra spacing
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, rmontro said:

I was being very snarky.

Basically we train them as they grow with age appropriate jobs.  As teens they get jobs and start paying for their own expenses or show us they are saving for college, car etc.  When they are in 12th grade we switch to a "roommate training" where you would keep even a roommate aware that you are not dead.  We do get texts each day from our 20yr old college student that say, "NOT DEAD".

When they are 16 they are required to take over the family budget for 1 year and pay all the bills, budget for food, sports, excursions etc.  With our bank account of course.  We watch over them and they learn to write checks, keep the checkbook, look ahead and do spreadsheets for expenses and still have savings and an emergency fund and Christmas club.  My mother did that with me and it was the best financial training I ever had.  It really makes the kids appreciate work, money and the family.

Edited by jumper sage
  • Love 1
18 hours ago, Beden said:

Well, yes and I suppose that it could even be construed as a form of child abuse. But...and this is the somewhat shady catch...Billy and Ami have managed to wrangle themselves and the kids into a reasonably well paying gig through their suspect and faux lifestyle. They're evidently getting room and board paid for plus whatever their various paychecks amount to in exchange for their participation in the show. It could even be billed/sold to TPTB as an acting job in which they're playing characters in a quasi-reality show.

I'm definitely not going to go so far as to accuse them of abuse or neglect, although it could be argued.  You have to balance that against the right of parents to raise children the way they see fit.  Then you look at Bird's lack of dental care, and you wonder.  Anyway, I'm not willing to open that particular can of worms.

You can't really use any of what happens on the show as evidence, since it is put on to a degree.  I do think there is an underlying truth that you can see in the way they are raised, however.  What's that they say, even a joke has a glint of truth in it.

• Love 1

I'm definitely not going to go so far as to accuse them of abuse or neglect, although it could be argued.  You have to balance that against the right of parents to raise children the way they see fit.  Then you look at Bird's lack of dental care, and you wonder.  Anyway, I'm not willing to open that particular can of worms.

Yes, perhaps I used too strong a word there but it seems to me that, as you mentioned above, the lack of dental care (for Bird and Ami herself) seems to not be cool to me since they were obviously not spending all their time in the bush and should have had access to dental and medical help and I don't believe that they were as broke as they claimed. Several of the clan have glasses, after all, so some medical type problems were addressed. And no, I don't want to open a can of worms which we can only see from a heavily edited, scripted reality show...not a good idea for a number of reasons. We only see what TPTB want us to see.

This whole thing just makes me shake my head.

17 hours ago, Beden said:

Yes, perhaps I used too strong a word there but it seems to me that, as you mentioned above, the lack of dental care (for Bird and Ami herself) seems to not be cool to me since they were obviously not spending all their time in the bush and should have had access to dental and medical help and I don't believe that they were as broke as they claimed.

They're certainly not as broke as they are making themselves out to be now.  If Billy had really wanted that turbine, he could have come down off of some of his stack of money to get it.  But we're told all they could give for it was Bam's wood, lol.

Ami is an adult, so what she does with her dental care is her business.  Well, Bird is an adult now too, but she wasn't not all that long ago.  My theory is that Bird has a fear of the dentist, and that's why she never got fixed.  She likely gets it from her parents, since both Billy and Ami seems to have a deep distrust of doctors.  Then again, I have an alternate theory where the cameras stop filming, and Bird pops her prosthetic denture thing back in her mouth and looks perfectly normal, lol.

• Love 1

Rumor time! 

The next season is a go but filming is delayed because there's a lot of snow in Brownsville and it is not fun for family and crew to film.

Also rumored that Ami had been in the hospital in LA for some unknown reason, perhaps surgery for her neck problem. Some other family members have been sighted there. 

The Integrity is for sale! Any buyers out there?  Maybe Ami's medical problems have caused the Browns to have to sell there supposed business boat to pay the bills? Or they've gotten all the stories they could out of that thing?  Perhaps they will show it as another sinking? Oh the excitement  of it all. 

Supposedly the equipment and crew are out of Hoonah....maybe a different filming site for next season?  Noa-lot and his girl Rhain have been hanging out in Juneau lately.  No sightings of Matty...he is either laying low or might be in rehab again. Last sighting was in New York. Bamster is still being sighted in South Carolina I believe. 

I can't even watch those Re-run shows anymore. I fear this show has lost its glitter for me but I still feel compelled to know what is up with them. Why oh why do I care!?!? ?

Edited by Dennie
Additional info
  • Love 2

To the best of my knowledge, the Browns never OWNED the Integrity, so "they" can't sell it.  It was owned by the production company.  So it's kind of like a company selling off clothing racks or other "props" that have outlived their usefulness.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, rmontro said:

My theory is that Bird has a fear of the dentist, and that's why she never got fixed. 

Sound enough theory rmontro. But it would be best for humanity if the entire family would get “fixed” ? (Alright, we'll make an exception for Rain, who seems to be pretty normal).

• Love 1
3 hours ago, AZChristian said:

To the best of my knowledge, the Browns never OWNED the Integrity, so "they" can't sell it.  It was owned by the production company.  So it's kind of like a company selling off clothing racks or other "props" that have outlived their usefulness.

Yes, I believe it is owned by the production company.  I wonder what story they will come up with for the show of why "Bully had to sell the boat" (that really isn't his to sell in the first place).  Maybe they "need the money to throw a totally awesome extreme wedding for Noah". 

• Love 1
(edited)
7 hours ago, AZChristian said:

To the best of my knowledge, the Browns never OWNED the Integrity, so "they" can't sell it.

I looked for it, and I couldn't find it, but if I do, I'll post it here. But someone over at IMDB dug up all kinds of personal information on the Browns from an official Alaskan court records website. They also ran the VIN on the Integrity. Now if I recall correctly, the Integrity not only didn't belong to the Browns, it didn't even belong to Parkslop (spelling intentional) Productions, so they probably leased it .

Here's a list of offenses a mile long from that same poster (sans the Integrity information).

Edited by wanton87
wording
7 hours ago, Dennie said:

The next season is a go but filming is delayed because there's a lot of snow in Brownsville and it is not fun for family and crew to film.

Also rumored that Ami had been in the hospital in LA for some unknown reason, perhaps surgery for her neck problem. Some other family members have been sighted there. 

The Integrity is for sale! Any buyers out there?  Maybe Ami's medical problems have caused the Browns to have to sell there supposed business boat to pay the bills? Or they've gotten all the stories they could out of that thing?  Perhaps they will show it as another sinking? Oh the excitement  of it all. 

Supposedly the equipment and crew are out of Hoonah....maybe a different filming site for next season?

Well, we can't have snow on a tv show about a family living in the bush in Alaska, can we?  How would that look?  Billy is a bit like the Starks on Game of Thrones.  He's always saying "Winter is Coming".  But we never really see it.

Maybe Ami's medical problems were the reason we didn't see her much this past season, or half season, or whatever it was. 

If they get rid of the "Integrity" (what a name), I'd assume that means we'll be seeing a new boat, probably one obtained by Billy through some "mystery barter".

If they move out of Browntown to a different location, they're going to have a hard time explaining that.  I feel sorry for whoever's responsible for cleaning that mess up.

3 hours ago, wanton87 said:

someone over at IMDB dug up all kinds of personal information on the Browns from an official Alaskan court records website.

Hey, that's the website that shall not be named  ;)

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, rmontro said:

Hey, that's the website that shall not be named  ;)

Sorry, I slipped, it's too soon ?

Your quote reminded of the creatures from The Village, but even they were looked upon with more fondness then the aforementioned unmentionables ?

11 hours ago, wanton87 said:

Your quote reminded of the creatures from The Village, but even they were looked upon with more fondness then the aforementioned unmentionables ?

I like The Village.  I've seen nearly all of M. Night Shyamalan's movies.  Some are good, some are garbage.  He went through a bad stretch there for awhile.  My favorite of his is Signs.  People absolutely tear that plot line to pieces, but I don't care.  It's more about philosphy than sci-fi.  The worst one is Lady in the Water, IMO.

I like this website quite a bit.  The only thing I don't like is that it's a bit of a pain to add subforums for new shows, and it would be nice if they had movies here too.

• Love 1