Type keyword(s) to search

Season Four General Discussion

6 hours ago, Beden said:

Another thought; the family (and especially Matt who was the adult involved) could have declined to allow his alcohol problem be included in filming. He opted--for whatever reasons--to let that very personal and seemingly real problem be included in this mess. I've no idea why that choice was made, perhaps pressure from TPTB? Maybe family pressure for interest/reality/$? Maybe they're so caught up in the show that they thought it should be shown? A warning to vulnerable viewers? Who knows but I'm not sure it would be my decision since--as with any dependency--the outcome is never assured.

Park Slope probably said, "Matt, if you don't give us a scene addressing your alcoholism, you're not going to be paid for the time you're in rehab, because you won't be on the show."

Billy said, "FILM IT!!!!"  (When it comes to this crew, the answer to any question is "Follow the money."

• Love 6
(edited)

About 35 years ago my now ex, an electrical engineer, had a similar problem--he never heard his phone so rigged a light, some kind of LED to light up when it rang. Silly guy actually went with real supplies and skipped the whole jury-rig crap. Of course, he was an actual, for real engineer who knew electronics backwards and forwards...

Beden - I had to chuckle at the whole "intercom" deal as well.   I recently purchased new phones (yes, I'm one of the dinosaurs that still needs a landline) for the house and the "left over" phone parts that Noah DaVinci "invented" look suspiciously like the Panasonic models I have (sans the duct tape and wires hanging down).  Yep, they have intercoms <amazing> and the option to light up when calls come in as features.  Someone better let ole Noah "know" that someone "stole" his invention. 

Speaking of jury-rig, what was with the mannequin that Gabe & Birdie (or was it the other girl, I get them confused) made for the Fire Department?  What a piece of sh*t.  Two dummies making another.  I didn't see them present them to the FD, maybe they couldn't get it off the boat without it falling apart!  

Edited by zoemom
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, zoemom said:

Speaking of jury-rig, what was with the mannequin that Gabe & Birdie (or was it the other girl, I get them confused) made for the Fire Department?  What a piece of sh*t.  Two dummies making another.  I didn't see them present them to the FD, maybe they couldn't get it off the boat without it falling apart!  

Huh??? I zoned out and missed that; sounds pretty damn funny. Re the ex's light up phone; he was an engineer who often worked for bands, worked odd hours and would often be in clubs or theaters where the noise was considerable, hence the need for a light up phone.

Why was Gabe skipping with happiness when Billy and Bam returned to the boat.  The family was bunking together at the hotel, it's not like they didn't see all the other cult members daily.

When they were cleaning up and repairing the boat, why oh why not put on a clean air filter onto the old Detroit that pushes the boat thru the waves?  I cringe every time I see the condition of that engine room.

42 minutes ago, Rock knocker said:

When they were cleaning up and repairing the boat, why oh why not put on a clean air filter onto the old Detroit that pushes the boat thru the waves?  I cringe every time I see the condition of that engine room.

Yeah, notice who was do the preventive maintenance... the kid. Guess now that she can steer a junker she knows all about marine diesels. Wonder what disastrous mechanical problem befalls the (No) Integrity this week? My guess is whatever it is can be traced to poor (nonexistent) maintenance. And whatever it is, we'll be treated to a "bush fix" and never see them go back and fix it correctly. 

Yeah, notice who was do the preventive maintenance... the kid. Guess now that she can steer a junker she knows all about marine diesels.

SRTouch - Come on you should know this by now they're the Brown kids, they KNOW EVERYTHING!   Having gone through a number of starters in my time, I found myself yelling at the TV (yes, I'm not proud of this) "come on you jackass, it's the starter."  If you know so much/and are working on the S.S. Integrity, allegedly all month,  I would think by now they'd all know the basic fundamentals of how an engine works. (guess Ami didn't cover this in her "home schooling").   I found  Noah No Nothing technique of replacing the starter (love how he just happened upon a rebuilt one in the harbor) using the rope system very curious - seems like he can complicate even the most simple tasks.  (His voice/accent are getting worse - I was glad he didn't talk too much in this episode).

Beden, I grew up in a family of engineers & spouse was an engineer.   I totally get the mindset. (I am the black sheep - with a degree in Art History).  Noah No Nothing is an engineer wanna be.  Seemed like Gabe was doing much more work than Noah anyhow.

I was glad to see that their cat (don't know its name, sorry) was at least in a carrier this time instead of being allowed free "reign" of the ship.   (No pun intended!)           

• Love 1
9 hours ago, zoemom said:

I found  Noah No Nothing technique of replacing the starter (love how he just happened upon a rebuilt one in the harbor) using the rope system very curious - seems like he can complicate even the most simple tasks.  

As much as I hate to, I'm inclined to defend Noah with how he changed that starter.  First off, those two cycle Detroits are a very common engine (they were made largerly unchanged from about 1937 to 1990, and powered most Higgens boats and gen sets during the war).   I would be shocked if there wasn't four or five sitting in marine, truck and construction supply stores in a town like Juneau.

Secondly, those things are heavy.  I would probably also try to set up some rigging so I wasn't try to support a forty pound starter while trying to get a bolt going.

But I'd also notice the air filter and buy a new one while I was picking up the starter.

Now if the producers had an ounce of brains, they'd arrainge a two-cycle Detroit-run-away for effect.

• Love 1

I gather that tonight is the season finale. I can't help but wonder if there'll be another season. i know we're all on the cynic train with this mess but evidently there are still a crowd who feel deeply for these poor people and their endless fight against da'man and gubmint. Wait and see, I guess.

I gather that tonight is the season finale. I can't help but wonder if there'll be another season.

Beden  that's why the Brown's were in Hawaii, they're going to build a Browntown on the big island  I think Hawaiian Bush People has a good ring to it!!!  ;-)

Guess we'll all just have to stay tuned!!!!!!  Hope they do get another season - I don't think there's another show on TV right now that is so snark-worthy!

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Beden said:

I gather that tonight is the season finale. I can't help but wonder if there'll be another season. i know we're all on the cynic train with this mess but evidently there are still a crowd who feel deeply for these poor people and their endless fight against da'man and gubmint. Wait and see, I guess.

Nope, this is the last season.... they're all gonna starve as they break up the cabin to but not for heat.

Truth is it's been awhile since we saw a new storyline. Looks like Gabe's shack reappears and needs to be moved. Hmmm something heavy needs to be moved - yep done they several times. They hook it to the (Without) Integrity (yep done that) the boat breaks down (oh yeh, done that over an over and over) we hear Bear tell us that "the boat is our lifeline" and they need it to stay in Browntownew - again.

Well, just recapped the finale based on previews. We still need to find out if the greenhouse fairies planted Billy's peppers and tomatoes (how's Matt's irrigation system working in the pot grove) while they were gone - or more likely, there's saran wrap wrapped around all the spruce trees and floating around the cove. Will we ever see the bush washing machine/dryer combo in action? Or Damascus, the monkey wrench hatchet again? Or the many other cool inventions by the modern day DaVinci. Will Matt come home from rehab, or will we be left with a cliffhanger like last year when we weren't sure if Billy would live to serve his time in prison or die in the horrible lower 48? Or the really burning question, now that Ami has new choppers and Gabe has braces, can we finally see Bird without the snaggletooth? And let's not forget the most important question... granbabies, where oh where are the granbabies?!? How are they going to get them when these guys are almost past their prime and can't get a second date?

• Love 2
(edited)

Well, don't really need to update my recap made from the preview, as it came pretty close. Just a couple things.  First, they've finally put a block and tackle on the boat. It's an amazing leap forward in technology for the Browns. If I remember correctly, ancient Greeks wrote about the block and tackle 2 thousands years ago. They did in fact move Gabe's shack using the Integrity - which did in fact break down and almost ran aground. Lots of long aerial shots during this, and lots of tracks through the grass on the beach that look suspiciously like four wheeler tracks. Finally, I don't  know if this was the season finale or not. I read that it was, but I see a new episode next week, though there's no information given. Course we know Discovery often gives us fake new episodes - showing a rerun with pop-ups or unseen footage.  Anyway as predicted Matt was a no show. According to what we saw, when Bam went to town to pick him up when he arrived in Hoonah on the ferry, no Matt and no measure from Matt. The episode ended with a message on the screen that he stayed in Juneau for additional counseling - and no previews for next week.

Now the real reason I'm posting - the latest scandal. Everyone has probably hear that Ami's mom was coming to see her long lost daughter one more time before she dies. At first it was just the kids and no sign of Matt, Billy and Ami that left Browntown when Meemaw was supposed to arrive. Well, now pix of Billy and the whole gang are popping up on social media http://www.inquisitr.com/3266241/apb-hawaiian-family-reunion/ some FB fan groups got upset about them ditching Meemaw, and one of the admins on a fan group decided to dig a little. They found an invitation only group run by Billy's long lost daughter and the manager at the Icy Strait Lodge (you know where the Brown's reportedly live in Hoonah). http://www.inquisitr.com/3300417/abp-scams-facebook-groups/  When the story first broke they showed a lot of FB screen captures, but that stuff is disappearing fast and now all you see is This Facebook post is no longer available. It may have been removed or the privacy settings of the post may have changed.  Some of what disappeared supposedly indicated Ami's kinfolk, you know the ones who haven't seen or heard from her in decades made a quick dash to visit the Browns in Maui before showing up in Hoonah and being "surprised" to find no one at Browntown. Oh and there was an exchange of Christmas greetings in 2014 between Ami and those people she hasn't heard. Guess who else was in Maui at the same time. Long last daughter and her daughter, so maybe Ami met a granbaby 

Interesting stuff in some of the pics. Supposedly Bear and one the girls are wearing the latest apple watches - I wouldn't know one if I saw it. And yes, Matt is back with the pack, though he hasn't reappeared on the show. No more of that bush hair gel, though, as he's back to short hair in the photos. Bam isn't in any of the family group pics, but someone got a pic in a Maui grocery store.

Edited by SRTouch
Wording changed
  • Love 5

Interesting stuff...thanks for posting, @SRTouch. 

Once again, I only caught bits and pieces of this episode.  Was flipping back to it inbetween baseball games I was watching. 

Did those firemen say anything about that silly duct-taped dummy?  It looked like to me the thing was falling apart as soon as they lifted it off the boat.  Did Thomas Alba Noah Edison invent anything else this episode?  Seems to me if he wanted to put lights somewhere, he should...I dunno..maybe put them on the boat so they won't run into stuff at night. 

I did see the final scene(s) with them trying to get that cabin moved using the Integrity.  And I am calling Disco shenanigans on the Integrity "breaking down" during that cabin move.  Sorry, but on this show the Integrity doesn't have any integrity as far as I am concerned.  I just don't think a wire just happened to have sprung loose at the very same time this cabin maneuver was taking place.  Far too convenient.  I think the folks at Discovery wanted some extra drama, so they just manufactured that part. 

Again, I wish Matt the best.  I hope he recovers from his addiction(s).  I still think the best thing for him is stay the heck away from Browntown and this farce ofa show. 

• Love 3

Things I noticed:

The bears didn't get into the house this time.  No, it wasn't because they took the stairs off the house, it's the electric fence wire strung across it, and strung around the perimeter.   Now, if brainiac Noah really wanted to hook things up to electricity maybe he should just plug into the same outlet as the fencer for the wires. 
As mentioned earlier, the idiotic way he speaks is getting worse. 

When they were pulling the cabin to it's new spot No-Ah was no-where-Ah in sight.  It was Bum, steroid boy, and animal, along with the 2 girls.  Once again grifter Billy, and AmIhurt my back or shoulder or whatever aren't around until it comes time to use the boat.

OK, I only caught part of it when they were repairing that tractor tire, however, they drained the fluid from the tire.  When fluid is added to a tractor tire it's a saline solution which is expensive.  Normally you try to save it so it can be added back to the tire.  You absolutely just don't let it soak into the ground.  duh

Hunting-  what is it with smearing all that shit on their faces?  I don't think they could actually sustain themselves with their hunting skills. 

• Love 2

That's why they never show them going into a "kitchen" to "cook" any of the meat they "kill."  They let someone else do all the work and they just go to a restaurant in or near the Icy Strait Lodge where they stay during filming.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, brgjoe said:

Did those firemen say anything about that silly duct-taped dummy?  It looked like to me the thing was falling apart as soon as they lifted it off the boat.  Did Thomas Alba Noah Edison invent anything else this episode?  Seems to me if he wanted to put lights somewhere, he should...I dunno..maybe put them on the boat so they won't run into stuff at night. 

Like you, I don't pay a lot of attention - I mean for an hour long show we're lucky if half the time is spent on new stuff. Lots of time spent dumbing down the already dumb show down so that their many fans can remember what they watched before the commercial break. DVR is the only way to watch... you can FF through boring sh*t. I don't really watch except to pick apart their lunacy.

The dummies did deliver the dummies - in typical Brown fashion. If I were ever to attempt a hauling business where I delivered smallish items from the dock to various places around a small community, I think one of my early purchases would be a sturdy collapsible cart to haul those items around. Unload at the dock, then pull the wagon around town. You can get them that have sides that you can fold down or remove, can haul several hundred pounds, some even have hand brakes. When you're not using it on a job, you could haul 300 lb bathtubs from the beach to the cabin, or maybe haul firewood if you ever cut any. Paint it red and the 20 and 30 yo "kids" could play with their little red wagon. Not the Browns, though, that's not the bush way. I mean, why make one trip when you have the three stooges (well, the Browns) who can just drag and carry people's stuff, getting it dirty and damaging it as they go. Gabe carried the legless dummy, while Bear took the legs and homemade dummy. The homemade thing was silly to start with, but was in pieces by the time Bear got there since he tied a rope to it and dragged it. We didn't get to see the fireman's expression when he got there - my guess is he laughed and told Bear where the trash was.

Anyway, DaVinci Noah showed us all how to change tractor tires as part of the hauling job to Pelican. Pretty funny watching the idiots (Noah, Bam, and Bear this time). Lady had what looked like pretty good tires on her John Deer, but she said they didn't hold air, and she obviously has money to burn, what with that good looking tractor. So, instead of patching a leaking tire she buys 4 new tires and gets the keystone Browns to put them on. Who knows, maybe they've dry rotted and even though the tread looks good they might need to be replaced.

After watching them jack up the tractor and have the thing fall off the jack it's just so obvious - she sold tickets and there's a bleacher full of laughing townsfolk just off screen. She actually made enough off the tickets so that the tires didn't cost much. Starts out with Bam crouched down holding a hi-lift jack saying he's never jacked up a tractor, but he's down a lot of cars - how hard can it be? They end up using a floor jack - lots of wood laying around, but they don't need no stinking wood, they just sink the jack into the dirt. They're lifting the tractor in the middle of the axle below the drawbar, no problem. Problem arrives because they take off the tire without thinking about some type of jack stand (we always used wood blocks). Guess what happens when you pull a tire off when the only thing holding up a heavy tractor is a jack at the center of gravity point? Hint - think seesaw. Yup, one side goes down, other sides goes up, heavy ass tractor slips off jack, tractor falls towards idiots - lucky no one is hurt, well luck and DaVinci Noah's quick reflexes, since he and Bear caught the tractor as it was falling. Could that be why DaVinci Noah is always hurt? VERY HEAVY object falling and he steps forward to catch it. Tractor owner decides not to take a chance on yahoo's wrecking her tractor, so she steps onscreen and asks how they're doing - well, that's what made the final cut, if it had been my tractor my response would have been a little more animated, with maybe a few not so nice words thrown about, followed by get the **** out of here. Anyway, once they jack the thing back up in I notice blocks magically appear.

Next problem, seems the lady has fluid in the tires. Our ever knowledgeable narrator informs us that that's something they do in colder climates to give added stability. Uh, no, adding fluid in rear tires for ballast is common, especially when you put a front end leader on a farm tractor, in fact ballast is recommended by John Deere for this tractor and loader. When you pick up a heavy load in the bucket you need the weight in back to help keep the tires firmly on the ground. About the only thing weather has to do with it is that you obviously wouldn't want to use water in Alaska.

Once they get a wheel off they ignore Noah telling them how to get the tire off the rim - Bam goes all Rambo on it, slashing it his big knife and then sawing it off with a hacksaw. Hope the lady didn't have any future plans for the tire, it's truly ruined now. After the first tire they listen to Noah and things go a lot faster - and of course Noah tells everyone how smart he is. And, again, hope tires were rotten as they're trashed using Noah's method, too. To get the new tires on the rim Noah amazes his bros and demonstrates the old burning ether trick - people have been doing it probably as long as there have been backyard mechanics, not the safest way, but works and looks cool. We didn't get to watch them fumble with the front tires, except for putting one back on the tractor. I was kind of disappointed we didn't get to watch them jack up the front end. From the pics as they putting on the tire they again have a floor jack in the middle of the axle, again sitting on the ground, I can't tell if they have blocks. Guess what, guys,  a properly working front end loader can easily lift the front of a tractor - no jack needed - but do use those wood block for stands.

As usual whenever I see the Browns using tools I question their methods. Bam was using a breaker bar instead of a 4 way, which to me hints at an impact wrench somwhere. Hmmm, lady also has what looks like an excavator. (Oh, and Brownklowz, take note of that quonset hut looking building with clear walls - now that's a greenhouse.) Something tells me there just might be a workshop in one of those outbuildings. Nah, the Browns would rather make several trips to carry the tools to the tractor than drive to the shop - besides, who would turn Noah loose in their workshop. And if they moved it into the shop the people in the bleachers  wouldn't be able to see. I know I mentioned their use of a floor jack on the ground a couple times. To me it's not really a big deal, but I used to work for a guy who was still using tools he had inherited year before from his father, who had used them for years. To him, if you were jacking up a tractor in the yard you carried a heavy duty bottle jack over, put it on a square of plywood, and immediately put in a wood block as soon as it was lifted. I don't even want to think what he'd have to say if he saw the way the Brown were jacking up that tractor. I had to laugh at the compressor they were using. Must have been a lot other advances in tiny compressors since I used to work with farm tractors. That little thing would be chugging away for a LONG time filling up those tires - assuming it didn't burn up first. Actually I'm sure our conscientious Brownklownz actually put fluid in the new tires, so it didn't really take all THAT long. Yeah, sure, conscientious - rrrriiiggghhhtt.

Well, that was the first 10 minutes, and after that I picked up the remote and started hitting the FF.

Later on Noah got an old phone booth and did something with it back in Browntown, not sure what as I was over him by then and FF through it. Like I said FF is my friend. Normal time now to watch ABP is down to 20 minutes.

Oh, I did watch them arrive at Browntown, where they had to reattach the steps on the porch. Remember, taking a chainsaw to the porch was supposed to work as a bear deterrent. Worked, too, well that and putting up an electric fence worked. So, anyway, now Gabe replaces Noah (the call of the LabBORatory drew him away to pkay with his phone booth) they lean the steps up against the porch. Gabe thinks that's perfect, no need to do anything else. Voice of reason Bam cautions Gabe that he's stupid, that's just a good way to break a leg when it falls. His solution, toenail a couple nails grouch the top step into the porch. This is the voice of reason talking? Sure hope the construction crew were watching, so they know to get a couple supports and fix that accident waiting to happen. Really, whenever a Brown picks up a tool someone from the crew needs to be taking notes so they know what will need repair.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Blondie said:

When they were pulling the cabin to it's new spot No-Ah was no-where-Ah in sight.  It was Bum, steroid boy, and animal, along with the 2 girls.  Once again grifter Billy, and AmIhurt my back or shoulder or whatever aren't around until it comes time to use the boat. 

Ah yes, Billy has trained Noah well in the art of not working. This time, not only was he in a hurry to get back to his LaBORatory, but those meany siblings made fun of his phone booth.

• Love 1

sad how some people are so negative,  the solution to your mean comments on the brown family is....now pay attention because this might be over your abilities to manage. ..

Don't watch the show if you are so negative and the impact of the brown family causes you to feel hate, disregard and issues deep within the black hole in your own life.

The issue you have is all from you and your objective of your own self being. You have the problems otherwise you can accept that all humans are not your ideal. 

Thanks brown family for your entertainment,  a show my little grandchildren can watch and not see nudity,  cussing, but a family who actually enjoy themselves and respect the nature of all living.

(edited)

I just rewatched the show and particularly noted the tire changing scenes. I have seen the ether (or lighter fluid) trick done to seat the tire's bead and partially inflate the tire. What they didn't show was the hardest part, getting the bead over the rim. No problem getting the old ones off since they just cut them up. However I remember in my younger days when we put a new tire on a rim, you have to get both beads (which are usually reinforced with steel wire) over the rim while the diameter of the bead is less than the diameter of the rim. Without the power operated tool for this job that shops have, it is a real ordeal. We could usually get it done with three guys each with a crow bar, lots of soapy water, and a lot of cussing. It was not a fast process.

Edited by DoctorK
removed some exxtraneous commentary
  • Love 3

@SRTouch:  Thanks for the summary!  Am LOLing at so many of your snarky comments.  Definitely more entertaining than the show itself.  Thanks again for your diligence (and sacrificing a few sanity points, no doubt) for watching and summarizing it for us!

Something else that made me wonder.  Isn't good ol' Gabe's cabin just a bit close to the water?  No doubt it is high enough to avoid the high tide (even the Brown gang wouldn't be THAT dense to not notice that).  But what about, say, when the area floods?  My guess is if the area does flood, and in conjunction with said high tides, that cabin would be carried out to sea at some point.  Or at least flooded like it was when they first found the silly thing. 

When I saw them hauling the cabin and Albert Noah Einstein's phone both, I thought, "Great.  More Browntown junk that the poor owner of the land has to haul away some day..." 

• Love 2
16 hours ago, SRTouch said:

Oh, I did watch them arrive at Browntown, where they had to reattach the steps on the porch. Remember, taking a chainsaw to the porch was supposed to work as a bear deterrent. Worked, too, well that and putting up an electric fence worked.

I recall watching that, both the chainsawing and the later reattachment and thinking 'wouldn't it be easier, make more senseto just unbolt the stairs instead of destroying them?' Also,m kept wondering where the power for the electric fence came from...solar panels we never saw? A generator the cats maybe kept supplied with gas?

16 hours ago, SRTouch said:

If I were ever to attempt a hauling business where I delivered smallish items from the dock to various places around a small community, I think one of my early purchases would be a sturdy collapsible cart to haul those items around. Unload at the dock, then pull the wagon around town

Thank you. I've been thinking that for months---you have a lot of heavy crap to carry and only the good lord knows how far---buy a heavy duty trolley or a couple of wagons or dollys. I mean seriously, even for the Browns this comes under the category of 'duh'. I mean supposedly entertaining scenes of them jackassing stuff around aside, that's just beyond ridiculous.

• Love 1
On July 16, 2016 at 1:30 AM, brgjoe said:

And I am calling Disco shenanigans on the Integrity "breaking down" during that cabin move.  Sorry, but on this show the Integrity doesn't have any integrity as far as I am concerned.  I just don't think a wire just happened to have sprung loose at the very same time this cabin maneuver was taking place.  Far too convenient.  I think the folks at Discovery wanted some extra drama, so they just manufactured that part. 

Those engines in almost all configurations are totally mechanical.  Once started, all they need is fuel and have no need for electricity.  And even the normal shut-off circuit requires juice to kill the fuel solenoid, not the other way around.  And even if it was the lose wire, there would not have been the sound that alarmed billy and Ami so much, the engine would have just quit.  That whole scene was fabricated.

• Love 5
19 hours ago, SRTouch said:

The dummies did deliver the dummies - in typical Brown fashion.

How much money can there be in hauling some burlap, a mannequin and a couch or two 260 miles round trip?  Especially in that boat?  Some how the economics don't add up.

19 hours ago, SRTouch said:

Anyway, DaVinci Noah showed us all how to change tractor tires as part of the hauling job to Pelican. Pretty funny watching the idiots (Noah, Bam, and Bear this time). Lady had what looked like pretty good tires on her John Deer, but she said they didn't hold air, and she obviously has money to burn, what with that good looking tractor. So, instead of patching a leaking tire she buys 4 new tires and gets the keystone Browns to put them on. Who knows, maybe they've dry rotted and even though the tread looks good they might need to be replaced.

That didn't make sense did it?  Our rear tractor tires are about thirty five years old and still holding air.

If it was the side wall, the owner would know it and it's game over.  But otherwise the cause of the leak could be the rims, the air valve or a nail.  All easily fixable, or not fixed by new tires.  Certainly not worth destroying $2000+ of tires to figure out (without the several hundred dollars of calcium).

So weird

• Love 2
19 hours ago, KimSimsStevens said:

sad how some people are so negative,  the solution to your mean comments on the brown family is....now pay attention because this might be over your abilities to manage. ..

Don't watch the show if you are so negative and the impact of the brown family causes you to feel hate, disregard and issues deep within the black hole in your own life.

The issue you have is all from you and your objective of your own self being. You have the problems otherwise you can accept that all humans are not your ideal. 

Thanks brown family for your entertainment,  a show my little grandchildren can watch and not see nudity,  cussing, but a family who actually enjoy themselves and respect the nature of all living.

The fact that they are frauds, they are criminals who stole from the government,  the show is unreal, the boys speech changes from speaking normally to their "own way of speaking" and back over and over again, and this is a "reality" show doesn't bother you, but my comments seem to offend you speaks much for you.

If they really respected nature they wouldn't leave Brown Town in looking like a garbage dump, They wouldn't allow their cats to roam freely killing birds.  They wouldn't have emptied the toxic contents of that tire onto the ground.  Too many more incidents to recite. 
You are entitled to your opinion and I mine. 
Sorry my posts offends you so much.  Please feel free to ignore them in the future.  I have obviously touched a nerve with you. 
Hope you have a great day.

• Love 6
(edited)
39 minutes ago, Blondie said:

They wouldn't have emptied the toxic contents of that tire onto the ground.

It's food grade material similar to table salt.  While what they did could kill the grass and reek havoc with a garden, it is not a dangerous toxin and will be dispersed in the rainy climate.

Calcium chloride and beet juice are the chosen fluid for loading tires for a reason, and flat tires are not unheard of in the tractor world.

http://www.tetrachemicals.com/Products/Calcium_Chloride/Liquid_Calcium_Chloride/Liquid_Calcium_Chloride.aqf

Edited by Rock knocker
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Rock knocker said:

Those engines in almost all configurations are totally mechanical.  Once started, all they need is fuel and have no need for electricity.  And even the normal shut-off circuit requires juice to kill the fuel solenoid, not the other way around.  And even if it was the lose wire, there would not have been the sound that alarmed billy and Ami so much, the engine would have just quit.  That whole scene was fabricated.

That scene was ridiculous, but I did notice a moment when Billy kind of snapped at Ami and she rolled her eyes at him. If anyone still has it, go back and watch the DVR and tell me I'm not crazy?

But the boat moving the cabin in general made no sense. It started out...plausible, I guess. Then we're getting close to final placement of the cabin, and the cabin gets pulled left (inland) into the trees, and Bear runs right (to the bay) to signal the boat to stop pulling. There were no cables in the view that could have explained the boat being able to pull the cabin in the opposite direction that it was actually moving. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Rock knocker said:

I freely admit I missed that, but there's a reason. When I see the white haired dangly mustache hippy dude my thumb automatically hits FF, so I didn't see much except that Billy and Ami were on the boat. Also noticed they somehow seem to have a mile of rope and steel cable - must have bartered away DaVinci Noah for those as he wasn't there to help when 5 of them tried to move the shack by hand. Heck, he wasn't even around to supervise, much less help, getting his phone booth to Browntown. hmmmm bet that steel cable explains all the four wheelers tracks. Every try to haul around a mile of steel cable by hand? Hey Beden, why use a hand cart with ballon tires when you have four wheelers running around ?

I went back to watch that portion... nope, when I hear the sound of his voice my thumb hit the button. I did notice some slight continuity and safety problems - first there's tractor tires on the roof of the Integrity. Are those the already delivered tires, or were they hired to haul the old tires to the dump? Nah, if they were the old tires they would have pitched them overboard. In one scene, as they laying out the rope for the pulley, just before Bam says they need to lay out the rope and Mr Extreme takes off running with the coil of rope, one of the 4 wheelers that made all those tracks and that they're not supposed to have is in a long shot parked behind the shack (between minute 36 and 37, after the rerun clips of pulling a log on my recording). Oh, and notice Bear jumping across a ditch as he returns from the wood line after hooking up the rope to a tree, but there is no ditch when the Integrity pulls the cabin. They reposition the shack on the beach between the attempt to use the rope and when they hook to the Integrity. They end up heading in a slightly different direction, and the shack is magically moves from where they pulled it off the dock/barge. Ah, that would explain all the extra tracks in the grass. Things just move on their own on that beach. When the boat breaks down it has already moved the shack quite aways, but then it somehow seem slides back to where it started, then it jumps back to where it was after the commercial break. In fact, after the commercial break we see that the dock/barge and the cabin has shifted quite a distance on the beach. In that long shot earlier which showed a four wheeler they were to the far left of the trebuchet. Now they're to the right of it - and lo and behold it appears the barrel barge is is back. Oh, when Ami is pointed out the new shack location (minute 57), we either see multiple four wheelers on the left of the long shot from yhe boat, or as a friend here insists possibly an argo and trailer. And as Gabe is going in and out of his new home I see what just might be a double strand of white electric bear fence going through the woods and around the left towards the garden, along with a wood rail fence on the right by the stream.

Finally, my safety concerns (well, there's always safety concerns with the BrownKlownz). Anyone notice the lack of leather gloves to protect their hands when handling the steel cable and pulling the rope. Ok, at various times fingerless gloves appear on Bear and the girls, but I think that was more for warmth than hand protection. Then there's the question I always ask, why don't they take off their rings were they do these things? This time there's clear shots of the girls wearing rings, and Bam wearing his ring as he lifts the steel cable barehanded. Let the voice of experience tell any who don't know, getting stuck with a strand of a steel cable HURTS!

Ah, why do I watch this show.... because it's just so much fun to pick apart. The continuity with the shack move is so full of holes it's laughable. I just spent an hour watching 30 minutes worth of bloopers. 

• Love 2

It's food grade material similar to table salt.  While what they did could kill the grass and reek havoc with a garden, it is not a dangerous toxin and will be dispersed in the rainy climate.

Calcium chloride and beet juice are the chosen fluid for loading tires for a reason, and flat tires are not unheard of in the tractor world.

http://www.tetrachemicals.com/Products/Calcium_Chloride/Liquid_Calcium_Chloride/Liquid_Calcium_Chloride.aqf

Ah, you beat me to it... have also seen antifreeze and windshield fluid used. You really don't want something corrosion eating away your expensive metal wheel and tire. Sure farmers use pesticides and weed killers, but they sort of like being able to control where it goes. A slow leak might spread whatever is in the tire all over a field.

girls wearing rings, and Bam wearing his ring

Jewelry and rings in particular do not mix with powered machinery. Just look up "degloving injury". Spend some time responsible for employee (and subcontractor) safety on a construction site and you learn about many things that I would just as soon forget now that I am retired.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, SRTouch said:

Hey Beden, why use a hand cart with ballon tires when you have four wheelers running around ?

Good point, especially if they're bought, paid for and run by the paid crew so you don't have to do squat.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Rock knocker said:

Our family has been farming for over 100 years.  Our "garden" is our living and has sustained us for generations and we hop it will continue to do so for many generations after us.   It's a big no no.  The rain forest is a huge garden.  If the grass is killed it allows weeds to come up and thrive.  Not to mention the cost of replacing the fluid, and hopefully the tire won't end up in a landfill somewhere.  While we do have flat tires on our tractors from time to time we reuse as much of the fluid as possible.  We fix tires because they are so darn expensive.  The ones that don't get fixed go to a tire recycling center or they get repurposed into feed bunks.  What these guys do is just stupid.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Blondie said:

The fact that they are frauds, they are criminals who stole from the government,  the show is unreal, the boys speech changes from speaking normally to their "own way of speaking" and back over and over again, and this is a "reality" show doesn't bother you, but my comments seem to offend you speaks much for you.

If they really respected nature they wouldn't leave Brown Town in looking like a garbage dump, They wouldn't allow their cats to roam freely killing birds.  They wouldn't have emptied the toxic contents of that tire onto the ground.  Too many more incidents to recite. 
You are entitled to your opinion and I mine. 
Sorry my posts offends you so much.  Please feel free to ignore them in the future.  I have obviously touched a nerve with you. 
Hope you have a great day.

The Browns can be compared to many beloved sitcom characters of the past. Look at DaVinci Noah and the Professor on Gilligan's Island. Both know-it-alls who make and invent things out of nothing. When I think Noah I think conceited @$$. When I think about the Professor I think funny character from a 60's sitcom. The difference, Noah has repeatedly appeared to explain to the audience how superior his intellect is, while The Professor never tried to be anything other than a character. That is what I find objectable about the Browns. They spend a goodly portion of each episode talking directly to the audience trying to convince of things that with very little common sense or research we know are false. I really don't find it that surprising that some people refuse to stop believing the Browns - after all, even though there were established actors portraying the characters on Gilligan's Island, even with the laugh tracks there were letters  and telegrams to the Coast Guard wanting a search to be launched so they'd be rescued from their three hour cruise.

So, why do Discovery and the Browns pretend the story lines are true - money. Some people (though not as many as there used to be) believe the stories. Others, like me answer others in this group, enjoy looking for obvious flaws in the stories and asking ourselves why we watch (I watch because I have fun making fun of the obvious mistakes). As for Discovery and the Browns - they're making money - no doubt while laughing at people who watch.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, SRTouch said:

Nah, if they were the old tires they would have pitched them overboard.

nice one!     haha

On 7/16/2016 at 2:12 PM, SRTouch said:

Starts out with Bam crouched down holding a hi-lift jack saying he's never jacked up a tractor, but he's done a lot of cars - how hard can it be?

were there "a lot of cars" in the wild Alaskan bush?

That scene was ridiculous, but I did notice a moment when Billy kind of snapped at Ami and she rolled her eyes at him. If anyone still has it, go back and watch the DVR and tell me I'm not crazy?

I just finished watching this episode (SR Touch, ITA watching DVR'd episodes is the only way I can put up watching the ABP)! Thank God for FF!

Mmmsoap - You were watching crazy people, however you're not crazy - if looks (OK, it was more like a snaggletooth snarl) could have killed ole Billy boy would be 6 feet under.  Hey, another storyline they could use - the building of Browntown cemetery.  I think (and have always thought) that much like the rest of the show, that Ami is not the "nice, quiet mamma" that they've scripted her to be.  She was pissed - I'm surprised that Discovery didn't edit that out. 

33 minutes ago, zoemom said:

I just finished watching this episode (SR Touch, ITA watching DVR'd episodes is the only way I can put up watching the ABP)! Thank God for FF!

One of these days when I'm really, really, bored, I'm going to time how much actual new show is in an episode - and I don't numerous aside where action stops and a Brown explains what just happened. FF through the commercials, the recap clips of what just happened before the commercial, the frequent clips of previously seen crap, a big chunk of each episode is gone. Then there's the really stupid crap - well to me it's stupid, maybe not to someone else. At least twice now Ami has done the "let's brush Mr Cupcake and make something." Even some of the new stuff is stuff that has been overdone. Just about guaranteed that when they take the Integrity anywhere it's either going to break down, there'll be a storm, problems with the skiff, and my favorite, fear they're running out of daylight. How many times would a sane person put themselve, their family and boat in danger before mounting lights on the boat? Not just navigation lights, but a light bar with a spotlights so they can dock at night. At least they haven't rammed any docks lately, but then Bam hasn't been piloting the boat.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Blondie said:

Our family has been farming for over 100 years.  Our "garden" is our living and has sustained us for generations and we hop it will continue to do so for many generations after us.   It's a big no no.  The rain forest is a huge garden.  If the grass is killed it allows weeds to come up and thrive.  Not to mention the cost of replacing the fluid, and hopefully the tire won't end up in a landfill somewhere.  While we do have flat tires on our tractors from time to time we reuse as much of the fluid as possible.  We fix tires because they are so darn expensive.  The ones that don't get fixed go to a tire recycling center or they get repurposed into feed bunks.  What these guys do is just stupid.

That's great.  But the fluid that is used for ballasting tractor tires is still not toxic like you said.  I get the feeling that your family may be farming for 100 years, but your food comes from the grocery store and hauled in your Prius

• Love 1

That's great.  But the fluid that is used for ballasting tractor tires is still not toxic like you said.  I get the feeling that your family may be farming for 100 years, but your food comes from the grocery store and hauled in your Prius

Funny

• Love 1

Something else occurred to me; in the first season the Browns almost (almost...) came across as legit. Okay, they screwed up building their cabin and had to work in the snow but the neighbors came and bailed them out, more or less. It was as the seasons went by that their reality was brought to light; their wilderness was actually a mile or whatever up the road from a pizza place, they were clearly clueless about actually living in the wild/hunting/tools maintenance/ wearing appropriate clothing/ basic boating skills. Billy and the fam are tech savvy, they pulled down blogs. Bit by bit the BS was exposed; Bam's supposed kid somewhere, Matt's various problems, supposed locals were actually hired actors or crew filling in. The felony charges are real and they're not just these poor folks trying-to-live-their -lives-in-freedom-as-the-good-lord-intended, despite the spin.

As the lies and BS mounted it's becoming more and more impossible for them for more and more people to buy what they're selling. I'm thinking it's going to be increasingly difficult for TPTB to sell this much longer and I'm thinking that, money aside, the Browns may be getting tired of playing this particular game.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Beden said:

Something else occurred to me; in the first season the Browns almost (almost...) came across as legit. Okay, they screwed up building their cabin and had to work in the snow but the neighbors came and bailed them out, more or less. It was as the seasons went by that their reality was brought to light; their wilderness was actually a mile or whatever up the road from a pizza place, they were clearly clueless about actually living in the wild/hunting/tools maintenance/ wearing appropriate clothing/ basic boating skills. Billy and the fam are tech savvy, they pulled down blogs. Bit by bit the BS was exposed; Bam's supposed kid somewhere, Matt's various problems, supposed locals were actually hired actors or crew filling in. The felony charges are real and they're not just these poor folks trying-to-live-their -lives-in-freedom-as-the-good-lord-intended, despite the spin.

As the lies and BS mounted it's becoming more and more impossible for them for more and more people to buy what they're selling. I'm thinking it's going to be increasingly difficult for TPTB to sell this much longer and I'm thinking that, money aside, the Browns may be getting tired of playing this particular game.

As I remember, I was looking forward to watching season one. I tuned in expecting to see a homestead family and instead found an attempt to pass off a storyline about how big bad government came in and burned them out because their backwoods home was not permitted. As I remember, the first season started with that story, and the intro of the first episode opened with a burning cabin. And, just like this season with the fraud conviction, they kept harping on how the government burned their home, over and over. Nope, not for me! 

Eventually, while channel surfing, I started watching bits and pieces here and there and found it funny watching them - Green Acres style funny where two city slickers leave 5th Avenue big city luxury living and move into a rundown farm shack in the country (yup, still comparing them to silly '60s sitcoms). I again tired of the asides where they periodically appear to explain to the masses how good and wonderful the bush life is, while they merrily trash the environment. How often can you take watching someone tell about all their construction experience in the bush when they fumble with basic framing? They're worried the cabin won't be finished before it snows, yet leave their tools wherever they fall at the end of the workday. Then they start the morning kicking around snow trying to find the hammer and fighting to start the frozen chainsaw. Ok, some of it's funny, but then long stretches of them trying to convince me not to laugh and that the comedy is real life drama. I quit watching again.

Then, I stumbled across Ryan Berenz' recaps on Channel Guide http://www.channelguidemag.com/tv-news/?s=Alaskan+bush+people  and now, I'm back, but this time with the trusty remote with the FF button. I no longer expect anything except comedy and when they start the "this is real" spiel I hit FF. Ever so often I pick up something there (like the recent spat of rumors about ditching Meemaw) that I share here, but I've finally found the secret to watching - keep the remote close and keep tongue firmly in cheek. I no longer expect to see anything like real life... now I watch it expecting cartoonist characters with only a passing resemblance to the real world. Now, at least for me, the most irritating thing on the show is the phony accent. Guess the only way to get away from that is to hit mute - especially if Noah is in the scene. They're getting better with that, or I've gained some tolerance. Sort of like the names. I swear in the early shows sometimes Bear forgot that was supposed to be his name.  

Not all roses, though... I would have loved to have had the opportunity to visit that cove before Bowntown, and still get perturbed whenever the camera pans over the dump they've created.

• Love 2

Bear and Gabe jump on the stairs to verify that they're sturdy...and the stairs moved! Not sturdy! (Which isn't shocking, given that one nail isn't enough to hold stairs to the frame like that.)

• Love 1

I'm late to the party - have been aware of this show, but never watched. While channel surfing one rainy day, came across a marathon and tried to watch a few episodes.  Which one of the girls is referred to here as Merry Christmas....and is that part of her real name?

Beautiful scenery, that is about the only positive thing I can think to say about the show. What a bunch of con artists...

5 hours ago, mmmsoap said:

Bear and Gabe jump on the stairs to verify that they're sturdy...and the stairs moved! Not sturdy! (Which isn't shocking, given that one nail isn't enough to hold stairs to the frame like that.)

But I thought they used two ?. Good catch ?- I thought I heard a cracked and it moved - but then forgot to go back and check. I wanted to count how many times it took the EXTREME one to hammer in the nail. Ah well, I'm sure Discovery plans to show MANY RERUNS.

They probably tried to hammer those nails in with Noah Divinci's axe-hammer thingie.  ;)

Don't worry about the stairs though.  I'm sure the actual construction crew will come in later on and properly attach those stairs back to the house. 

• Love 1

So after the show is canceled or the Browns have to move to another 'deep bush' area for whatever many reasons (gunshots in the night, bears in the bathroom, the Integrity runs aground so they abandon it on a rock...) what happens to what seems to be an actual decent enough forest cabin built by the local crews? Does it get sold? Does it revert to whoever actually owns the property? Does a crew member get to claim ownership? Once the godawful mess which is Browntown is cleaned up it might make an okay home/getaway for someone, bears notwithstanding.

Just wondering.

• Love 1

Dammit, I am only 10 minutes into this episode and I don't think I can go any further. So they have discovered doughnuts? The producers have nothing but contempt for the viewers. I just want a final show where all of these defrauders, grifters, despoilers of the environment got to jail for a long time. Not to mention the child abuse these grifters have committed against their children.

• Love 1

fwiw,  there is such a thing as a battery powered electric fence.

I noticed the narrator said the family was forced to stay in the city (while two were doing time for their crime).      I guess there was no way for the rest of the family - including several adult men - to stay in the bush house "alone".

On 7/14/2016 at 1:05 PM, Rock knocker said:

Why was Gabe skipping with happiness when Billy and Bam returned to the boat.

don't know, but they showed that scene three times during the show.

2 hours ago, clod said:
On 7/14/2016 at 2:05 PM, Rock knocker said:

Why was Gabe skipping with happiness when Billy and Bam returned to the boat.

don't know, but they showed that scene three times during the show.

Oh bless the good lord--if you had access to that footage, wouldn't you?

And--dear lord above--are you suggesting that you'd allow a couple of your (over 30 years old) children stay alone. In the woods? With bears? With lord knows what could happen? And they could die????

Cloddy...I fear for your children....

Speaking of children; has anyone herd any updates regarding Matt's rehab aside from him deciding to extend his treatment? I have actual sympathy for the man fighting whatever his personal demons may be.

The others, not so much.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, clod said:

fwiw,  there is such a thing as a battery powered electric fence.

Ah yes, ABP really should be classed as educational TV. So much of the crap they air just begs for a quick Google search. Way back when they started the season long problem with bears I did a quick search, and within seconds came up with the State of Alaska's site of recommendations for protecting cabins from bears (not once does the State of Alaska recommend cutting off the cabin steps.) A couple other searches that come to mind: raising chickens in Alaska; and making dimensional lumber with an alaskan chainsaw mill. As for the battery powered bear fence, I was surprised by how far they've come. Heck, you can get a kit for camping that weights around ten pounds, runs off D cell batteries, and lasts for weeks. A simple 6 or 12 volt fence around the cabin perimeter with charger which can switch from solar to generator - no problem. And much cheaper than replacing their stuff after the first time a bear crawled through the window would have been had they actually lived there.

Not saying a fence eliminates the bear problem. On another of the many Alaska reality shows, Building Alaska, a while back they were building a remote hunting lodge in bear country. They had the site surrounded by fencing, but one of the carpenters was mauled when he went outside the fence for something.