Type keyword(s) to search

Janelle Brown: Smarter Than Your Average Brown (Maybe)

• Start Topic

26 minutes ago, DakotaJustice said:

You hit the nail on the head and one of the big excuses that people use for not eating healthier is the amount of time it takes to prep. 

I'm a huge fan/user of prewashed salad mix, broccoli slaw, diced butternut squash,frozen diced onion, minced garlic, cauliflower rice, premarinated chicken etc. Yes it costs more but my time is valuable and I'm more likely to use stuff that's ready to go. 

Yep, gotta make it easy.  If WE can do it certainly she could.  The cost of her cashew cream would get her a ton of actual things she would eat on the regular.  I am one of the laziest people around and during the school year often work until 1am.  I was able to work (most shifts 14 hours), get off at that horrible hour, prepare my breakfast/lunch/dinner for the next day and do it all over again (but I had all my produce washed and ready to toss into tupperware).  If I, queen of sloth, can do it, so can anyone.  Certainly someone whose kids are nearly grown who has no obvious job can.  I give someone who has littles a lot more slack. 

• Love 6
29 minutes ago, Natalie68 said:

Yep, gotta make it easy.  If WE can do it certainly she could.  The cost of her cashew cream would get her a ton of actual things she would eat on the regular.  I am one of the laziest people around and during the school year often work until 1am.  I was able to work (most shifts 14 hours), get off at that horrible hour, prepare my breakfast/lunch/dinner for the next day and do it all over again (but I had all my produce washed and ready to toss into tupperware).  If I, queen of sloth, can do it, so can anyone.  Certainly someone whose kids are nearly grown who has no obvious job can.  I give someone who has littles a lot more slack. 

I really think she just does this for appearances' sake as part of her image on the show.

• Love 4

Speaking of cashew cream, there's this lady at my local farmers market who sells the stuff in different flavors for (if memory serves) $8-10 for a small container (I'd say 8 oz) if memory serves it's about 60 calories a tablespoon. The photo that Janelle posted of her (ahem) taco salad had a lot more than a tablespoon glopped on top. I suppose to her the healthy fats negate the calories. Just the way I thought back in the early to mid 90s when I was feasting on corn Chex with nonfat milk and fat free fig Newtons thinking it was ok because I was eating a fat free diet. ?

• Love 3
39 minutes ago, DakotaJustice said:

Speaking of cashew cream, there's this lady at my local farmers market who sells the stuff in different flavors for (if memory serves) $8-10 for a small container (I'd say 8 oz) if memory serves it's about 60 calories a tablespoon. The photo that Janelle posted of her (ahem) taco salad had a lot more than a tablespoon glopped on top. I suppose to her the healthy fats negate the calories. Just the way I thought back in the early to mid 90s when I was feasting on corn Chex with nonfat milk and fat free fig Newtons thinking it was ok because I was eating a fat free diet. ?

Good ole Susan Powter!  Fat makes you fat.  Good times.

That's an expensive condiment!  Maybe she needs measuring spoons.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ginger90 said:

Well she “accidentally “ found some fiber.......and sodium, and a high percentage of fat.

547E2EBC-D9A1-43BD-83D6-9B8663F837CF.png

I looked at the nutritional info and depending on the size of her portion she got a total of 4 grams of fiber.  Hate to break it to you Janelle, these are a processed food.  Better than something else she could have chosen but wtf, its not a Big Mac so slow clap?

• Love 5
4 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Well she “accidentally “ found some fiber.......and sodium, and a high percentage of fat.

547E2EBC-D9A1-43BD-83D6-9B8663F837CF.png

Okay, now even I, someone who is willing to cut a lot of slack, have to say that this post is making me suspicious. She just happened to have both of these items in her cupboard and freezer? A "stray" bag?

I don't know man, I smell product placement. I'll give her, she is working this social media crap hard though.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Absolom said:

Punjab eggplant seems such a totally random not Janelle like item to have.  Plus "one" bag?  She'd need at least five for her family if not more.

But really, most of the time it's just her and one or two kids, none of whom probably eat that stuff.  

• Love 3
On 6/22/2018 at 6:01 PM, Natalie68 said:

I looked at the nutritional info and depending on the size of her portion she got a total of 4 grams of fiber.  Hate to break it to you Janelle, these are a processed food.  Better than something else she could have chosen but wtf, its not a Big Mac so slow clap?

Comment on the post:

(I deleted the person’s name)

Aren't these considered processed foods?

1 on FriLikeReplyMore

Janelle Brown

In comparison to fast food, pizza, deli lunch meat - other choices like this - I consider this a win.

• Love 1
On 6/21/2018 at 8:45 AM, xwordfanatik said:

I'm one who spends her calories on things that require chewing, like carrots, celery sticks, sugar snap peas, apples, etc.  

I eat a salad for lunch with 2-3 oz. of chicken, greens, no-cal dressing, cucumber, with an occasional hard-boiled egg.  The WW version I'm familiar with considers lean protein, fruit, and most vegetables as "power foods."  Protein and fiber work for me.  I like to chew as it's more satisfying for me.

If weight loss is a goal, chewing is a good thing! Chewing, swallowing and digesting burns calories. Every little bit of burn adds up over a day, a week, a month. Those diagnosed with failure to thrive, especially the elderly who have limited ability and tolerance, often burn more calories consuming food than the food provides. It's not uncommon for them to eat only part of a meal and push the rest away, saying "Eating just wears me out." When someone says that they are listening to their body so, unless they are on hospice, adjusting how calories are delivered to them is beneficial. 

• Love 4
On 6/22/2018 at 2:19 PM, DakotaJustice said:

Plus nuts are bad for you if you are trying to lose weight.  You want what you eat to fill you up.  I would much rather have 60 calories of vegetables than a measly tablespoon of flavoring.  

• Love 4

"It's soooo harrrd". Again, it is so exhausting to be Janelle. Not another word from any of them about Strong Women or empowered or how polygamy makes them better as women. She is so defeated.

When I see a heavier person walking or working out, my first thought is "Good job! Keep it up!" I have never, ever had a negative thought towards anyone working out or enjoying their life. In the gym, most people are too involved with their own workouts to even notice someone else on a piece of equipment (unless said person is hogging the piece they want).

You know what Janelle? Go on Craigslist and buy a used spin cycle (apparently you have the money right now). Put it in one of your 9 rooms. Spin to your heart's content without freaking out every time.

• Love 14
11 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

OK, I'm sorry but when she talked about how she loved spinning, all I could think of is this commercial.  Especially the last line.

"Cycling is my pash uhn." Janice is a hoot, and such an Eeyore. Like Janelle. "Hey, hey. Janice. Look." That's how they get Janelle's attention too.  

• Love 3
6 hours ago, DakotaJustice said:

let me just put it this way,

NO ONE ELSE IN THE GYM GIVES A CRAP BECAUSE THEY ARE THERE TO DO THEIR OWN WORKOUTS. 

a regular gym is not like High School PE class in the movies.

Unfortunately, that's just not true. There are plenty of people judging the fat people working out. Trust me.

• Love 10
49 minutes ago, Higgins said:

There are plenty of people judging the fat people working out.

In Janelle's defense, that is true.  I know I've gotten the side eye when I've tried out places.  Which is why I have a stationary bike at home and ride it while watching DVDs.

• Love 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, Higgins said:

Unfortunately, that's just not true. There are plenty of people judging the fat people working out. Trust me.

I'm a former obese person (same size as Janelle during my 20s) , a gym rat and was a fitness instructor for over a decade. 

If it is happening - because people judge other people EVERYWHERE - I doubt anyone is saying or doing anything. 

What probably is happening (from my own experience) is that who she thinks is giving her the "side eye" is resting/stretching between sets (weight training) and just kind of idly gazing around the gym without really looking at anything or anyone in particular. I do that often. 

Janelle also neglects to mention that she's a well known person. If I saw someone who looked familiar from TV or elsewhere at my gym, heck yeah I'd do a double take. I'm human.

It's not like the movie Carrie where the mean girls gather in a huddle to giggle and plot about how they're going to torture her. 

One thing I haven't seen her blog about - how many other overweight people are in the gym?  One would think she's the only one the way she writes and I'm sure she's not. She's probably not even the heaviest person there. Does she even notice other people? 

In the article she first says "no one ever uses the bikes on the floor" but then admits when she was using one other people were using them. 

She's been going to a gym of one sort or another since 2011 - by this time she should be over whatever anyone else in the gym might be thinking. Or better yet maybe try and strike up some friendships and get out of her shell. 

Edited by DakotaJustice
  • Love 10
(edited)

I've been on both sides too and I've heard it all. Especially come first of the year when all the "fatties" show up and the gym rats have to wait for their equipment.

Edited by Higgins
  • Love 7

My former gym in other state was an all women run by a woman’s hospital and was beautiful and lots of Janelles attended. I went regularly and if anyone noticed the Janelles they were never mentioned anywhere I could hear. In this state we go to a family YMCA and we come in every size from tiny to Janelle, male and female and I’ve never heard anything untoward in any of my classes or comments made. I may not pay good enough attention. I think it comes down to picking a gym. We looked around and knew there were places not for us. Seems like there are options in Las Vegas. 

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

My former gym in other state was an all women run by a woman’s hospital and was beautiful and lots of Janelles attended. I went regularly and if anyone noticed the Janelles they were never mentioned anywhere I could hear. In this state we go to a family YMCA and we come in every size from tiny to Janelle, male and female and I’ve never heard anything untoward in any of my classes or comments made. I may not pay good enough attention. I think it comes down to picking a gym. We looked around and knew there were places not for us. Seems like there are options in Las Vegas. 

217CF27D-EC7A-456D-9B29-973511FBE86D.jpeg

• Love 2
(edited)

When I read Janelle's posts, my mind goes like:

"I didn't want to work out blah blah blah but then I did blah blah blah hardcakes and I didn't want to eat healthy so blah blah blah but look at the photo of my food blah blah so hard so hard."

3 hours ago, DakotaJustice said:

She's been going to a gym of one sort or another since 2011 - by this time she should be over whatever anyone else in the gym might be thinking. Or better yet maybe try and strike up some friendships and get out of her shell. 

The problem with that, however, is then someone might hold her accountable to show up and she doesn't want that.

I totally agree with Janelle that it's not easy to join a gym when it's brand-new and you feel out of place, you don't have a routine, and you don't really know what you want to do.  But yeah - seven years she's been supposedly going to a gym and she's still not over the "I'm new here" feeling?  And she's a certified personal trainer how?!?

Edited by laurakaye
  • Love 10
2 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

As an instructor if I'd heard or seen anyone being untoward or rude to anyone or making anyone feel uncomfortable, I would immediately call it out. Not just myself, but the entire staff - trainers, instructors, advisors. 

We want our members and guests to feel comfortable, included, and welcome at all times.

The couple of times I had to call anyone out was usually people "saving spaces" in the studio for their friends who arrived late, or guys hitting on women. 

• Love 6
7 hours ago, DakotaJustice said:

What probably is happening (from my own experience) is that who she thinks is giving her the "side eye" is resting/stretching between sets (weight training) and just kind of idly gazing around the gym without really looking at anything or anyone in particular. I do that often. 

Me in a gym between reps: "Oooh shit that hurt. My butt is sweaty, is my towel covering the seat? Damn thats a cute top on her! Gorgeous guy. Oh, THAT'S how you use that machine. Shit, don't look at yourself in the mirror. Damn she's gonna run herself right off that treadmill. Wish I could do that. Drink your water. Shit, wipe up the water you spilled. Taking a nap when I get home. After picking up cat litter. OK, get back to work."

I really want to know what kind of job Janelle is working now. Is she still doing real estate? Is she still just a gopher for Mona's company? As often as she mentions "work" you would think she would mention the field she is in. If she really is working...

• Love 10

When I hear Mona, I think of James Taylor's song about Mona the pig.

"Mona, Mona, so much of you to love, little bit too much to take care of."

So just maybe, Janelle is using her realtor license for something?  

• Love 1
(edited)
27 minutes ago, xwordfanatik said:

When I hear Mona, I think of James Taylor's song about Mona the pig.

"Mona, Mona, so much of you to love, little bit too much to take care of."

So just maybe, Janelle is using her realtor license for something?  

A couple of years ago Janelle did an interview about working in real estate. She said the exposure on the show helped. She also mentioned how word of mouth is a big thing. So, with Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram, I have to wonder if she is active. I know she used to advertise her listings on one, or more of them. There’s been nothing referencing it in a very long time.

She is still listed on the company’s site as a realtor, but I don’t know if that’s kept current.

Found the article:

https://www.reviewjournal.com/entertainment/tv/sister-wives-janelle-brown-on-las-vegas-real-estate/amp/

Edited by ginger90
To add article link
  • Love 4
12 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

A couple of years ago Janelle did an interview about working in real estate. She said the exposure on the show helped. She also mentioned how word of mouth is a big thing. So, with Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram, I have to wonder if she is active. I know she used to advertise her listings on one, or more of them. There’s been nothing referencing it in a very long time.

She is still listed on the company’s site as a realtor, but I don’t know if that’s kept current.

Found the article:

https://www.reviewjournal.com/entertainment/tv/sister-wives-janelle-brown-on-las-vegas-real-estate/amp/

Interesting article GINGER90, I hadn't read that one before, thanks.  It seems to be a couple of years old and at that time Janelle was still Striving to become a realtor.  At one time, the company, TMI Realty (Tailored Marketing Inc. of Henderson, NV), had a new home subdivision in Henderson to market and showed the sales performance of their various salespersons.  At that time, it showed that Janelle had one (1) listing and two (2) sales.  That was after Janelle had been with the firm for over a year.  Both Christine and Janelle are still shown on their roster of salespeople and the only credentials listed by their names is "As seen on hit reality TV show Sister Wives".

Mona gets in on the act too, her bio is quite extensive, with 25 years experience but it also mentions "is a regular on the TLC network Sister Wives".  I don't know how often they update their website but it names several salespersons with "Coming Soon" beside their names and in the column for company listings it shows zero (0).

I think before Janelle latched onto Strive, she did give it a shot and there was a scene filmed where she was physically placing a for sale sign on a property.  We all know that Christine never even tried, only after struggling to complete and pass the course, she thought to inquire about expectations of the broker.  When she came to the realization that the real estate business requires evening and weekend work, she decided it wasn't the career path for her.

• Love 3
On June 15, 2018 at 9:51 AM, TurtlePower said:

Quote from Janelle: "I swear I'm not advertising for anyone (even apple cider vinegar or whatever craziness you guys have been telling me about)."

That speaks volumes. First, it tells me that Janelle, after over a year, still doesn't not have a base knowledge for nutrition or for cooking. ACV has been a common ingredient in many kitchens for many years.  When did it become "craziness"?  And how does she think she has enough star power to thinks she's "advertising" for something?

I don't think she understand/realizes how uninformed and ignorant this makes her look. 

She thinks Apple cider vinegar is 'craziness', but then thinks putting butter in her coffee is run-of-the-mill. I would never take any nutrition advice from this yokel. 

• Love 4
(edited)
On June 15, 2018 at 12:56 PM, sharkerbaby said:

yep, i know a lot of people who make and drink a concoction daily.  Like everything needs to be in moderation because excess can have detrimental effects.  And most say for full benefits should use unfiltered with the mother.  For an unbiased and mostly trusted source of further info you can see  https://www.webmd.com/diet/apple-cider-vinegar-and-your-health

My husband and I swear by Apple cider vinegar. It brought his cholesterol down, and worked unbelievably on my shingles last winter! But it has to be the kind 'with mother'. I'm surprised she would call it 'craziness'. It's really been out there mainstream for about 5 years now. I really just have no respect for the bullshit that comes out of her. Her unappetizing recipes, her unmotivating workout regimens. She's playing at healthy lifestyle. 

Edited by VedaPierce
  • Love 6
15 hours ago, Higgins said:

True.  While I don't use the gym.  Some of my co-workers do.  They say the same.  Some people are there to be seen and are trying to pick up a man or woman and don't feel people who are not fit or in shape should be there.  Often the management have to re state the rules to some people.

• Love 6
On June 17, 2018 at 12:23 PM, ginger90 said:

3EA38E46-BDAE-47FA-938B-E09505FD45A5.png

Blah, blah, freakin blah. 

"Balance, sanity, clarity, energy, peace". Words just strung together, with no inspiration, meaningless useless word salad.

See? I can do it too! Joyful, harmonious , authentic, spiritual retreat.

Useless, banal platitudes, inspiring no one, ever. 

Hey, is this a haiku??

• Love 11
2 hours ago, Pickleinthemiddle said:

True.  While I don't use the gym.  Some of my co-workers do.  They say the same.  Some people are there to be seen and are trying to pick up a man or woman and don't feel people who are not fit or in shape should be there.  Often the management have to re state the rules to some people.

I think it's a matter of perception. Usually people who think that way (the few who are) are complete assholes no matter where they are. I've gone to dozens of different gyms in the past 30 years and never seen that happen. 

• Love 2
On June 22, 2018 at 2:26 PM, DakotaJustice said:

I really think she just does this for appearances' sake as part of her image on the show.

1k likes. This is it in a nutshell. It all rings hollow and fake. And the biggest negative is her appearance. If I get to look like her when I eat and do what she does, then no thanks! I'll NOT have what she's having!

• Love 7
On June 24, 2018 at 3:52 PM, Galloway Cave said:

"It's soooo harrrd". Again, it is so exhausting to be Janelle. Not another word from any of them about Strong Women or empowered or how polygamy makes them better as women. She is so defeated.

When I see a heavier person walking or working out, my first thought is "Good job! Keep it up!" I have never, ever had a negative thought towards anyone working out or enjoying their life. In the gym, most people are too involved with their own workouts to even notice someone else on a piece of equipment (unless said person is hogging the piece they want).

You know what Janelle? Go on Craigslist and buy a used spin cycle (apparently you have the money right now). Put it in one of your 9 rooms. Spin to your heart's content without freaking out every time.

I couldn't get over her idiotic post that you are commenting on! Who the hell has time to go to the gym and start looking / judging who is on what equipment????( unless like you said, they're taking too long on it) Who are these empty-lived weirdos that Janelle is so intimidated by?? Omg! If she is busy, like she always says, 'carving out gym time', then she's like me, running in to the gym purposefully, jumping on the equipment she needs, then running back to work, like I do. All I worry about heading in is having my hair tie and water bottle. If this is what she's still concerned about after all this time of working out, she ain't working out regularly. By now, gym-going would be her routine, she wouldn't still be focused on middle-school worries. Her posts are eye-rolling every time.

On June 25, 2018 at 12:31 AM, DakotaJustice said:

NO ONE ELSE IN THE GYM GIVES A CRAP BECAUSE THEY ARE THERE TO DO THEIR OWN WORKOUTS. 

YES! Another 1k likes! 

And she wants to be my health coach. 

• Love 8
22 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

I belong to a planet fitness. It is such a huge, transient gym, no one really 'sees' anyone to really judge them. And I'm sorry to say this, but no one really pays attention to middle-aged women to even judge them. I say this as a middle-aged woman. :)

• Love 9
(edited)
On June 25, 2018 at 12:31 AM, DakotaJustice said:

If you think you're being judged at the gym, get out of your own head. Because that's the only place you're being judged. 

Edited by VedaPierce
  • Love 9
8 hours ago, Pickleinthemiddle said:

I think Regulars are very territorial over 'their' regular bike or treadmill. That's what the hostility is all about. To the skinny as well as the fat. I'm a kind of pushy person (my kids call me Bear, ("uh-oh, watch out, here comes Bear") and I don't give a crap if they get pissy. But I get that that takes a certain kind of personality...I just live by the motto, I'm surrounded by fools, who cares what they think, they're fools.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, ginger90 said:

221ABFD6-5C72-470B-A0B7-CC38A6771D44.jpeg

One post is talking about "family demands" but then here she admits that her kids (the two left at home that is) don't like salad but they're "old enough to fix a sandwich" (7 years old?).

Again - even counting all four of the families there are three under the age of 10 and none of them are hers. 

• Love 3