Type keyword(s) to search

Janelle Brown: Smarter Than Your Average Brown (Maybe)

• Start Topic

@ginger90 That's nice of you to post those (both for us and for her). She'll never be able to implement any of those suggestions, though. Her ego is too big, her skin is too thin, and her laziness and disinterest conspired to nip motivation in the bud.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, toodles said:

Maybe this thread should be called Janelle Brown:  Just your Average Brown.  She sure isn't any smarter than the rest of group.  No maybe about it.

Isn't Janelle a realtor? Why the need to put effort into this ill thought out, web based gig when real estate can be good business for go-getters? 

Oh. Yeah. For "go getters". I guess I don't picture Janelle running around town showing properties at a moment's notice. 

• Love 7
9 minutes ago, TurtlePower said:

Isn't Janelle a realtor?

She might hold a real estate license but that doesn't necessarily make her a Realtor.  And if she greets house hunters with the same enthusiasm as she apparently greet potential Strive customers I doubt she could sell a shed.

• Love 10

Selling real estate would mean she'd have to get up off her ass and walk places! and talk to people! and think about things! and do planning! And it would mean she wouldn't get all that admiration and adulation from her army of sycophants.

• Love 6

You know...the Browns really missed out on an opportunity with this Expo.  They could have pushed hard on the "Strong Women" and "Empowered Women" message by having them ALL there, not just Janelle.  Three booths, side by side taking up a giant corner in the busiest section.  Robyn would take all the chachkis from all around her house, set up all of her famous jewelry for all to see LIVE and in person!  Meri's booth would be much simpler, a shag rug with boxes everywhere, she would unpack the newest and the bestest right before your eyes!! Maddie would be there, by her side for photo ops and so every creepy fan could touch her belly (for luck of course).  Janelle's booth would be there, quietly around the corner, she could sit in the back and watch the spectacle of the others (like she does during all of their gatherings) and then the best part of the whole show would be Kody...front and center running from booth to booth, hair blowing behind him while Christine jumps up and down and claps and giggles.

IF this family's true desire was to be out there spreading the word on the joy of polygamy and the joy of their collective businesses and desire to sell sell sell and MOVE that inventory, then nothing would stop them from getting up and out and selling themselves!!  So far only Meri is actually out there selling, yes selling some crappy clothes that hoards of other women are also trying to sell. 

I don't think they have any desire to connect with fans on any level that isn't strictly controlled.  Kody can't handle the thought of those "haters" and Christine had to hide in a toilet and text her "sistawifes" to save her from having to see her Aunt face to face. They are a very sad bunch.

• Love 12
22 hours ago, TurtlePower said:

Isn't Janelle a realtor? Why the need to put effort into this ill thought out, web based gig when real estate can be good business for go-getters? 

Oh. Yeah. For "go getters". I guess I don't picture Janelle running around town showing properties at a moment's notice. 

To sell real estate one might have to stand occasionally.  

• Love 8
On 4/25/2017 at 8:23 PM, Kohola3 said:

She might hold a real estate license but that doesn't necessarily make her a Realtor.  And if she greets house hunters with the same enthusiasm as she apparently greet potential Strive customers I doubt she could sell a shed.

We've researched her "real estate" work. She's not selling houses. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, CofCinci said:

We've researched her "real estate" work. She's not selling houses. 

I wonder then, why take the time to study and pass tests to not sell houses? The Browns seem to either half-ass everything or start things they have no idea how to do. Wonder what they'll do once their show is finally cancelled and no more TLC money is coming in and they need to get real jobs again.

From Janelle's Twitter--seems she feels the need to justify all those calling her out but she still does not get part of it--why should anyone pay for advice/community that can be found for free? And it's ok to be a beginner but don't launch a business and expect a following. Great, you're a beginner. Start a support group. Just don't expect anyone to want to pay for it. Most people who have successfully launched businesses regarding health and fitness have achieved some sort of longterm success. It's just not sinking in.

Edited by TurtlePower
added additional info to reply
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, TurtlePower said:

From Janelle's Twitter--seems she feels the need to justify all those calling her out but she still does not get part of it--why should anyone pay for advice/community that can be found for free? And it's ok to be a beginner but don't launch a business and expect a following. Great, you're a beginner. Start a support group. Just don't expect anyone to want to pay for it. Most people who have successfully launched businesses regarding health and fitness have achieved some sort of longterm success. It's just not sinking in.

I'm starting to think that her "justifying" is her learning how to be a victim of all "those haters".  She isn't wrong, she is "living her why" (I couldn't help myself...) and all those haters are lined up to knock her down. >>insert your own pouty face<<  The one time I followed a link to "her words" on the strive page and there were actual comments on the page was when she was writing about people not supporting her and being mean (or something like that).  All of a sudden she had real comments of people rushing to her side.  She has the best "victim" teacher out there, living almost next door!!

• Love 4
33 minutes ago, Roslyn said:

I'm starting to think that her "justifying" is her learning how to be a victim of all "those haters".  She isn't wrong, she is "living her why" (I couldn't help myself...) and all those haters are lined up to knock her down. >>insert your own pouty face<<  The one time I followed a link to "her words" on the strive page and there were actual comments on the page was when she was writing about people not supporting her and being mean (or something like that).  All of a sudden she had real comments of people rushing to her side.  She has the best "victim" teacher out there, living almost next door!!

People are going to make mistakes when they start a new business.  Janelle makes the same mistakes again and again.  She didn't learn from the first STRIVE event, which was an epic fail and it was 7 months ago.  She spouts inane platitudes about wellness journey, living my why and who even knows what that crap means.  She "words" about common sense stuff like did you know that a 100 calories of cake is different than a 100 calories of a healthy green salad.

We all keep coming back to the same question:  What are you offering that is any different than what I can get on a million different sites?  For free.  This is not that hard.  No one cares that you are on a d list reality show.  From recent pictures she looks the same as she always has.  Whatever STRIVE is, it doesn't seem to be effective.  Are haters people asking the hard questions?  I guess so

It's the Brown way.  Give us a big return for no effort.  

• Love 10

... so the "expert in anything was once a beginner." 

Well, yeah, Janelle ... sure. But the thing is, people don't usually go around trying to get other people to PAY them for their services before they learn what the hell they are doing. Which is what you are trying to do. 

You want people to foot the bill why you try to figure out which end is up, in the hopes that one day you might actually have something meaningful to offer them (at which point you'll ask for more money). Well, thanks for the generous offer to let me support you in exchange for absolutely nothing, but between all the free help available everywhere and the paid services of REAL experts who are worth every penny, I'll take a pass. 

• Love 9
30 minutes ago, toodles said:

People are going to make mistakes when they start a new business.  Janelle makes the same mistakes again and again.  She didn't learn from the first STRIVE event, which was an epic fail and it was 7 months ago.  She spouts inane platitudes about wellness journey, living my why and who even knows what that crap means.  She "words" about common sense stuff like did you know that a 100 calories of cake is different than a 100 calories of a healthy green salad.

We all keep coming back to the same question:  What are you offering that is any different than what I can get on a million different sites?  For free.  This is not that hard.  No one cares that you are on a d list reality show.  From recent pictures she looks the same as she always has.  Whatever STRIVE is, it doesn't seem to be effective.  Are haters people asking the hard questions?  I guess so

Or even out of our own heads.  

I like the idea of her making meals and then having an expert show her (and her followers) how to improve it. She's no expert as she says, but she's trying... I could see that as more relatable.

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, Jel said:

I like the idea of her making meals and then having an expert show her (and her followers) how to improve it. She's no expert as she says, but she's trying... I could see that as more relatable.

That would be both more relatable and, I think, worth paying for. I would pay for it if I were single and had to learn to cook for myself. I know there are plenty of people (men and women) who are like Janelle: have cruised through life on fast food and frozen dinners, and would be happy to learn about cooking healthy, tasty meals and want the hand-holding and information download that would come with such videos. Sure, they can get much of the same from tv chefs, but it's the relatable aspect that would really sell it to those people.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, MrSmith said:

That would be both more relatable and, I think, worth paying for. I would pay for it if I were single and had to learn to cook for myself. I know there are plenty of people (men and women) who are like Janelle: have cruised through life on fast food and frozen dinners, and would be happy to learn about cooking healthy, tasty meals and want the hand-holding and information download that would come with such videos. Sure, they can get much of the same from tv chefs, but it's the relatable aspect that would really sell it to those people.

But, but that would require effort and we all know that's not the Brown way.  There is a culinary institute academy not five miles from her house.  I'm sure some of their students wouldn't mind making a few extra bucks to make healthy meals for STRIVE.   Also, there are local restaurants that may get involved.  So many ways to step up the game.  But it's so much easier to make excuses and bitch about haters than to make a changes to a plan that is not working.

So at what point do you stop being a beginner, Janelle?  At what point do you take responsibility for the choices you made? Call me a hater if you want to, but I'm a person who started a completely new career at 58 .  I know it's not easy.  It's hard work, but it's worth it.  Whining about it being hard because of the choices you made is really irritating.

Sorry.  I didn't mean to get worked up.  Every Brown blames haters when people look behind the curtain to see smoke and wires running the whole show.  And they start asking questions.  We see them living in FOUR mcmansions and no real job among them.but by God, buy whatever it is I'm selling.  It gets really old.

I got it off my chest now.  I feel ever so much better.

Edited by toodles
  • Love 15
1 hour ago, xwordfanatik said:

@toodles, you are my kind of person.  The Brown family are special kinds of grifters, aren't they?

Awww......thanks.  The Browns are in a league of their own.

• Love 4
40 minutes ago, DakotaJustice said:

A fan shilling an MLM, yet!  HAHAAAAAA

Yeah, I love this quote from the blurb on the Google search:

THRIVE by Le-Vel is something that's hard to explain, and challenging to describe... it's something that can only be experienced.

Well, if you can't explain or describe it, then it's probably magical and, therefore, snake oil.

• Love 7
On 4/27/2017 at 8:27 AM, toodles said:

True!  And since this isn't their 1st go around with a home business they should have learned from their mistakes with their ugly jewelry.  Or here's a novel thought hire someone to show you the ropes.  I think ALL this business stuff is for tax purposes.  If they were doing it to earn a living and really make a business work they would be trying harder.  

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, Natalie68 said:

I think ALL this business stuff is for tax purposes.

Heck, yes.  If you can declare losses on virtually everything then you are set to Bleed the Beast AND declare bankruptcy. The Brown Family Financial Plan continues to chug along.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Kohola3 said:

Heck, yes.  If you can declare losses on virtually everything then you are set to Bleed the Beast AND declare bankruptcy. The Brown Family Financial Plan continues to chug along.

Could they also get some sort of tax benefits from having their businesses run out of their homes?  So far we have Sister What the Hell Closet, Strive (to be a horrible business woman) and LuLaRoe (row, row your boat to poor town) run out of their homes.

• Love 3
42 minutes ago, Natalie68 said:

Could they also get some sort of tax benefits from having their businesses run out of their homes?  So far we have Sister What the Hell Closet, Strive (to be a horrible business woman) and LuLaRoe (row, row your boat to poor town) run out of their homes.

Yes they All can, and I'm sure they do.

Edited by ginger90
  • Love 2

Tax breaks on home businesses are trickier than generally thought.  I've forgotten a lot about them, but the room I think has to be used only for the business and the amount of electricity and so on charged to the business has to be reasonable and it's an open invitation for an audit. 

• Love 3
47 minutes ago, Absolom said:

Tax breaks on home businesses are trickier than generally thought.  I've forgotten a lot about them, but the room I think has to be used only for the business and the amount of electricity and so on charged to the business has to be reasonable and it's an open invitation for an audit. 

For the room to be deductible it must not be used for household uses.  You can't say your dining room is your home office because you have a laptop and a shelf.  A dining room is a family used room.  However they have huge houses.  Meri has been filmed sitting at an L shaped desk in what looks to be an office space.  Robyn stood in her kitchen and pointed to a door on the other side and stated that's her "my sisawifes headquarters" where all her creative juices flow... Janelle talked about having an "office" for Logan when he was preparing to leave for uni because she thought that he would stay at home and commute if he had his own personal study space.  So more than likely she has a dedicated office room as well.

Naturally all the fine details vary from state to state, but I've said from the very start that I thought their "business" ventures were for tax reasons more than actually earning a viable living. People who live on commissions from sales for a living are usually really motivated individuals, I've never had that feeling from the Browns...possibly before the show began when Kody was a salesman in real life.

I grew up in the horse world, just about every full time person involved with horses had some kind of small business.  Selling, consulting, etc.  That way all their trips to horse shows in Rv's pulling large horse trailers were deductible as trips for their businesses.  They did business dealings, sold some things, had advertising at the shows...and they also entered the horse shows too.  Things have changed a lot since then, but professional grifters such as the Browns are well aware of how the games work. 

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, Roslyn said:

Things have changed a lot since then, but professional grifters such as the Browns are well aware of how the games work. 

Plus if they get audited they can cry "religious persecution".

• Love 6
5 hours ago, DakotaJustice said:

A fan shilling an MLM, yet!  HAHAAAAAA

The MLM is called Lev-el Thrive and I originally thought that this was the company that Strive with Janelle is based on.  I am so confused!  They even use the same font and website style.  I thought Thrive gave the template for Janelle and that once she got her name out there she would start selling the Thrive supplements.  Am I way off base here?  Has this been discussed before? 

• Love 1

@lettsjetts There was some major confusion when Janelle first rolled out Strive, with people thinking she was promoting Thrive. Her website couldn't be found at first, because she didn't bother to pay for the web builder to do whatever it is that gets your keywords placed high in the search engines, and her name only brought up her involvement with the show. Thrive is one of the reasons I think someone sought her out to promote and be the public face of Strive, and I also think it is used to run money through for someone, because there is no way more than ten people are paying for membership. Tax scheme or unknowing assistant in money laundering, Strive is not and has never been a legitimate business for her; it was always a scam and a sham business, in my opinion, and she always knew it.

Even though I do think they start businesses for tax reasons and have done so since before the show, I've always thought that Robyn and Kody expected fans to open their wallets and buy her junk, which she thought was great. When someone questioned the price of their jewelry, Meri posted on Twitter that it was Sterling Silver!, but didn't grasp that people were complaining they were charging white gold prices for it. Kody designed a necklace for each wife, and thought that other people would want them, too. If anything, it was a competition for him to see which wife was the favorite, and he made Robyn's necklace the nicest of the four, and it was still too ugly to pay anything for and probably didn't sell. With the show picked up for another season, it will probably be another year before they file bankruptcy on it, if they even need to. I suspect their suppliers were requiring full price on everything up front, based on the items from the show about Robyn writing a check to a new supplier, along with the online complaints about people's credit cards being charged before the items shipped, because we figured out that once an order was placed for one of the higher priced items like rings, Robyn ordered it from the supplier. She couldn't keep a large selection of different sized rings in stock, and the large stock of items she ordered prior were sitting there unsold. She opened a Post Office Box for fans to send gifts for Solomon, and they did. Their hubris is huge, fanned by social media fans, which leads me back to Janelle.

Janelle has a decent amount of Twitter followers and most of them tell her how great she is. Anyone who doesn't gets blocked. All of these B-, C-, and Z-List celebrities get contacted to hawk wares on their social media. I suspect that someone possibly involved with the Thrive scam contacted her, and then they decided to "refresh" the info to make it look like it was Janelle's. I don't think I'll ever believe she is operating that website, writing those articles or putting the work in set up conventions like last week. She too inverted to want to do such things, and she's lazy. The family may be contractually unable to sell other supplements at this time, but I think they are done with the green goo so that might change. We may never know the ins and outs of Strive, but I'm sure it will be a failure like the rest of the Browns' scammy businesses, unless it is a money-laundering scheme, at which time Kody's involvement will likely tip-off the government or anger the people with the money, because he is greedy and entitled.

I also don't see a huge tax benefit to this business, because as it was mentioned above, home office deductions are not significant, and the actual business is primarily online with little to no physical product, and her deductions would be things like the trade show and possibly her exercise coaches. There certainly doesn't seem to be any legitimacy to it, however. 

Edited by Christina
Spelling like a Judge Judy litigant
  • Love 4
9 hours ago, Christina said:

Janelle has a decent amount of Twitter followers and most of them tell her how great she is. Anyone who doesn't gets blocked. All of these B-, C-, and Z-List celebrities get contacted to hawk wares on their social media. I suspect that someone possibly involved with the Thrive scam contacted her, and then they decided to "refresh" the info to make it look like it was Janelle's. I don't think I'll ever believe she is operating that website, writing those articles or putting the work in set up conventions like last week. She too inverted to want to do such things, and she's lazy. The family may be contractually unable to sell other supplements at this time, but I think they are done with the green goo so that might change. We may never know the ins and outs of Strive, but I'm sure it will be a failure like the rest of the Browns' scammy businesses, unless it is a money-laundering scheme, at which time Kody's involvement will likely tip-off the government or anger the people with the money, because he is greedy and entitled.

I don't think they're smart enough to be scammy. Their businesses have been very poorly thought out and likely don't make them enough money to be scammy.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, Christina said:

@lettsjetts There was some major confusion when Janelle first rolled out Strive, with people thinking she was promoting Thrive. Her website couldn't be found at first, because she didn't bother to pay for the web builder to do whatever it is that gets your keywords placed high in the search engines, and her name only brought up her involvement with the show. Thrive is one of the reasons I think someone sought her out to promote and be the public face of Strive, and I also think it is used to run money through for someone, because there is no way more than ten people are paying for membership. Tax scheme or unknowing assistant in money laundering, Strive is not and has never been a legitimate business for her; it was always a scam and a sham business, in my opinion, and she always knew it.

Even though I do think they start businesses for tax reasons and have done so since before the show, I've always thought that Robyn and Kody expected fans to open their wallets and buy her junk, which she thought was great. When someone questioned the price of their jewelry, Meri posted on Twitter that it was Sterling Silver!, but didn't grasp that people were complaining they were charging white gold prices for it. Kody designed a necklace for each wife, and thought that other people would want them, too. If anything, it was a competition for him to see which wife was the favorite, and he made Robyn's necklace the nicest of the four, and it was still too ugly to pay anything for and probably didn't sell. With the show picked up for another season, it will probably be another year before they file bankruptcy on it, if they even need to. I suspect their suppliers were requiring full price on everything up front, based on the items from the show about Robyn writing a check to a new supplier, along with the online complaints about people's credit cards being charged before the items shipped, because we figured out that once an order was placed for one of the higher priced items like rings, Robyn ordered it from the supplier. She couldn't keep a large selection of different sized rings in stock, and the large stock of items she ordered prior were sitting there unsold. She opened a Post Office Box for fans to send gifts for Solomon, and they did. Their hubris is huge, fanned by social media fans, which leads me back to Janelle.

I also don't see a huge tax benefit to this business, because as it was mentioned above, home office deductions are not significant, and the actual business is primarily online with little to no physical product, and her deductions would be things like the trade show and possibly her exercise coaches. There certainly doesn't seem to be any legitimacy to it, however. 

I agree with you and I thought the same thing from the beginning.  I don't mean to sound like a broken record, but somebody had to put up the cash for their Strive event.  Renting that space was not cheap.  Somebody put up the cash for the strive trinkets for sale.  Somebody hired the coaches.  They couldn't even give tickets away.  Too much of this makes no sense.  Of course it is the Browns, so who knows.

• Love 6
9 minutes ago, toodles said:

I agree with you and I thought the same thing from the beginning.  I don't mean to sound like a broken record, but somebody had to put up the cash for their Strive event.  Renting that space was not cheap.  Somebody put up the cash for the strive trinkets for sale.  Somebody hired the coaches.  They couldn't even give tickets away.  Too much of this makes no sense.  Of course it is the Browns, so who knows.

They live on credit cards while they're waiting for their houses to accrue enough equity to get HELOCs.

• Love 4
On 4/27/2017 at 9:13 AM, MrSmith said:

youtube is free! 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, ginger90 said:

Logan and Mariah's graduations are on the same day. A bit of a quandary,  I'd say.

I feel so much empathy for Mariah. Has to suck to be in only child in like a gaggle of 20. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

But don't forget she's been the Princess.  Got as much money as her other umpteen siblings combined.

Well, until dear Robyn usurped #1, Meri was the queen wife too.  So it just kind of figured that Mariah would be princess of the multitude of kids.

It has to really suck to be competing, as either a wife or a child, for some attention from that stupid hosebag Kody.  I'd sooner be alone.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

But don't forget she's been the Princess.  Got as much money as her other umpteen siblings combined.

While Kody is playing super supportive dad for the cameras, we all know he is against LBTQ at his core.  She was the Princess until Robyn entered the fold. Then, she became a B or C list child. After her coming out, she slipped even lower on Kody's ranking. 

• Love 1
9 hours ago, CofCinci said:

While Kody is playing super supportive dad for the cameras, we all know he is against LBTQ at his core.  She was the Princess until Robyn entered the fold. Then, she became a B or C list child. After her coming out, she slipped even lower on Kody's ranking

How do we know this? I'm certainly no fan of the Brown adults and their way of life, but I need something to support this statement before I can get behind it. I know Kodouche is an asshole and all, but he seems to me to give as much of his time and attention to his kids as he has available. And he seems to me to be fairly supportive, accepting, and loving toward them. So, is there something I missed that supports the bolded position?

• Love 5