Type keyword(s) to search

Janelle Brown: Smarter Than Your Average Brown (Maybe)

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, ginger90 said:

Looks like romaine , which has hardly any nutritional value, but is better than I iceberg. I believe what looks like spaghetti , is probably a vegetable she used her handy dandy spiralizer on. No clue what’s on top, cottage cheese?

She says hers is an alternative, but doesn’t bother to mention what she replaced anything she eliminated  with.

Sweet potato spirals, just as authentic Mexican as you can possibly get. 

Not!!!

• Love 3
(edited)
5 hours ago, sharkerbaby said:

yep, i know a lot of people who make and drink a concoction daily.  Like everything needs to be in moderation because excess can have detrimental effects.  And most say for full benefits should use unfiltered with the mother.  For an unbiased and mostly trusted source of further info you can see  https://www.webmd.com/diet/apple-cider-vinegar-and-your-health

One of the things I've noticed with almost all of these health claims and "studies" (rarely done following the proper and/or documented scientific protocols) is the wording, which to many average people is quite misleading. Stuff like doctors say so-and-so may improve this or that, or studies show so-and-so could have a positive effect on this or that, etc etc etc.

Unless it's verifiable and reproducible and presented by accredited authories, the claims are anecdotal and unsubstantiated. Don't get me wrong, if someone drinks apple cider vinegar and it makes them feel better, more power to them. But in the world of superfoods and cure-alls, it's absolutely caveat emptor.

Edited by Gothish520
  • Love 5
On 6/14/2018 at 5:59 AM, ginger90 said:

Three of them are sitting as if they have been in prison. I will leave the other comments to those with better observational skills!

I feel like all of Kody's favorite children are at this table, except Solomon: 

-Logan, the beloved first son (and all around good guy);

-Hunter, the wrestler;

-Caleb, his bromance partner;

-Mariah, in the Meri vs. Kody battle, I think Mariah is firmly team Kody.

Maddie sort of makes the favorite list by marrying Caleb. None of Christine's kids are on the list. Of Robin's kids, only Sol makes the list.

• Love 1

I don't see a topic re: Christine, and this post looks most current, so I'll post here. I think this is the weekend of Aspyn's wedding to Mitch,  the brother of one of the my three wives ladies. Doesn't look like any of the family are posting anything about the wedding, so the couple must have "an exclusive" with people mag or US weekly for weeding photos, or is being filmed and funded by TLC.  I have always enjoyed watching Aspyn, she has such a sweet nature. I hope she finishes college and doesn't drop out. Anyone have any inside info on where the wedding is being held?

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, bamaview said:

I don't see a topic re: Christine, and this post looks most current, so I'll post here. I think this is the weekend of Aspyn's wedding to Mitch...

Christine's tread is here.

According to her registry the wedding is tomorrow.  Which will, in Kootie's eyes, make it all about him since it's Father's Day.

• Love 4

I don't see a topic re: Christine, and this post looks most current, so I'll post here. I think this is the weekend of Aspyn's wedding to Mitch,  the brother of one of the my three wives ladies. Doesn't look like any of the family are posting anything about the wedding, so the couple must have "an exclusive" with people mag or US weekly for weeding photos, or is being filmed and funded by TLC.  I have always enjoyed watching Aspyn, she has such a sweet nature. I hope she finishes college and doesn't drop out. Anyone have any inside info on where the wedding is being held?

I wonder if the Wedding will be at Meri's B and B. That was one of the things Kody said would support the Inn, was a few wedding's a year. If they are filming the wedding for the show, it would be great advertisement. 

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, bamaview said:

I wonder if the Wedding will be at Meri's B and B. That was one of the things Kody said would support the Inn, was a few wedding's a year. If they are filming the wedding for the show, it would be great advertisement. 

It must be doing great because Meri hasn’t updated the site, hasn’t posted on the Facebook page since February, and has not sent newsletters. Yup must be doing great! ??

• Love 8
2 hours ago, bamaview said:

There's also the possibility that the couple just didn't want it all splashed on social media.  Both Maddie's and Mykelti's weddings were splashed all over the internet long before they actually took place on the show.  I understand that Logan and his fiancee have stated they do not want to have their wedding on TV.

• Love 6
10 minutes ago, DakotaJustice said:

There's also the possibility that the couple just didn't want it all splashed on social media.

That would be such a refreshing change.  So far Logan is the only one who has seemed to break the grifting chain with the rest of the clowns.  It would be nice if Aspyn had done the same.  I guess we will see.

• Love 8
(edited)
8 hours ago, ginger90 said:

It must be doing great because Meri hasn’t updated the site, hasn’t posted on the Facebook page since February, and has not sent newsletters. Yup must be doing great! ??

Any new, legit business owner would have been chomping at the bit to improve the website/information to attract guests. Not Meri. 

I still stand by the idea that she doesn't WANT to attract guests. It's a guise of a Bed and Breakfast (rather, bed and "bun") that she's holding out for as a second home. It's so half-assed, what else could it be?

ETA--sorry, this is the Janelle thread and this probably belongs in the Meri one. 

Edited by TurtlePower
Opsies
  • Love 9

It is so hard, it is so hard, it is so hard.......

Shut.Up.Janelle. Seriously. Every single post has some variation of that line. Not inspirational, and just means she has to drag herself up from a lower level to get the energy and appreciation for whatever she is doing. She really has no idea how grateful she should be right now that she HAS the time and money to go to a gym to work with a trainer, to post her every thought to a blog and to shop at a farmer's market for healthy food.

• Love 15
3 hours ago, Galloway Cave said:

Shut.Up.Janelle. Seriously. Every single post has some variation of that line. Not inspirational, and just means she has to drag herself up from a lower level to get the energy and appreciation for whatever she is doing. She really has no idea how grateful she should be right now that she HAS the time and money to go to a gym to work with a trainer, to post her every thought to a blog and to shop at a farmer's market for healthy food.

So I assume you won't be signing up for Janelle's health coach program at $35 a pop?  After all, she is such an inspiration.

• Love 9
8 hours ago, Galloway Cave said:

This is spot on brilliant. She's always going on about the demands of family. WTF? Her kids except Savannah are grown (driver's license age) and can take care of themselves. She has MORE time to do her own thing not less. 

• Love 11
18 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

“Regardless, I am hooked” 

05B85FFA-B4E1-4407-8524-2A2A1A40B366.jpeg

Janelle. Just, stop. You sound more like a fan of the latest "fad" versus a woman who has a business centered around health and well being. 

• Love 7

"recently" discovered yoga? 

Does that mean two years ago?  Because back when she first started strive and had coaches - one of them was a yoga instructor and she made a bunch of FB live videos with Janelle, like this one. 

• Love 5
(edited)

Oh, Janelle. The concept of twisty yoga is not new. We were doing  a majority of this in track and cross country in the 90s as a regular part of our training. We didn't call it "yoga", it was just what we did pre/post workout, especially the twisting parts. I still do this every morning as I have issues with tight piriformis. 

Not. New. Makes her look so uncredible behind the actual times. Oh hey, there's a new name for the Browns: The Uncredibles.

Edited by TurtlePower
  • Love 6
On 6/15/2018 at 5:00 AM, Kohola3 said:

I'm not sure what she's supposed to be aiming for with these fuzzy, close up pictures.  You can't ID any of the foods except maybe the lettuce. I don't have any idea what the white glop is.  And is that spaghetti with sauce at the bottom?

I give.

I tried to look and figure out what it was.  I THINK that is cottage cheese, some really funky looking meat, some romaine, MAYBE some mango with a little bit of avocado?  Not terrible.  My taco salads have a variety of lettuce, peppers of various sorts (hot and baby bells which I am addicted to), tomatoes, a small serving of black olives (1 pt worth), a small serving of sharp cheddar (1 pt worth), avocado, black beans, FF plain Greek yogurt or FF sour cream mixed with salsa as a dressing (mainly salsa) and maybe a couple of tortilla chips crunched on top.  I want it to be taco like yet lower calorie.  Hmmm.  This may be dinner tonight.  It isn't a post by me without a little snark.   Since her kids have a tendency to favor her figure, I am not sure why they needed 2 versions.

• Love 5

Yet again virtually no protein which why other foods "invariably" tend to creep in.  Yes, fruits and vegetables are healthy.  Yes, you need multiple portions of each.  But they do not stave off hunger.  You need the proteins and fats which are more slowly digested to keep those hunger pangs away.

• Love 11
(edited)
18 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

Yet again virtually no protein which why other foods "invariably" tend to creep in.  Yes, fruits and vegetables are healthy.  Yes, you need multiple portions of each.  But they do not stave off hunger.  You need the proteins and fats which are more slowly digested to keep those hunger pangs away.

Agreed!

On road trips I don't take food with me. I bring water, but on "long, long days of driving" it is so important to STOP, take a break and refuel. 

Generally I go to Starbucks and grab a coffee and one of their food items. I like the spinach and feta wrap which is easy to eat, tasty, low in calories and balanced. But sometimes I get the bacon/ciabatta sandwich. 

If it's a vacation road trip I'll stop at McDonald's and get two regular burgers and a small fries. 

The key is moderation. I don't eat McDonald's often, only when I'm on a road trip. I'll stand toe to toe with Janelle anytime, as a person who used to weigh as much as she does and has kept the weight off by making real practical lifestyle changes eating everyday food while she gulps down expensive, impractical, trendy "green smoothies" and dreams of pizza. 

Edited by DakotaJustice
  • Love 9
59 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

I still think Janelle tops off her smoothies and special taco salads with an entire bag of fritos.  She just doesn't mention that!

There HAS to be a lot of covert snacking going on.  If Janelle is only eating what she is reporting, doing the exercises she claims, doing her own housework and yard work, she should be burning off more calories than she is taking in.  I see no difference in her body mass or tone from the time the program first aired, if anything, she is larger and more jiggly than before.

• Love 11
2 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Darn that food that invariably creeps in......

BC51BE30-F65B-434A-BDE0-45B7B0890C11.jpeg

8D5B8E39-2A1C-487E-BA20-90FE9F86D815.jpeg

These look really good to me. I cannot wait to get a slow masticating juicer to I can make some, given I have issues with the "indigestibles" in spinach.

That said, I don't understand "car munchies", though I see people doing it all the time on drives less than 2 hours. Bags of chips, orange fingers from Cheetos, fast food burgers/drinks, even entire pizzas. I used to drive all the time to fieldwork sites and all I ever needed was a bottle of water, sandwich and piece of fruit. 

• Love 5
(edited)

I'm one who spends her calories on things that require chewing, like carrots, celery sticks, sugar snap peas, apples, etc.  

I eat a salad for lunch with 2-3 oz. of chicken, greens, no-cal dressing, cucumber, with an occasional hard-boiled egg.  The WW version I'm familiar with considers lean protein, fruit, and most vegetables as "power foods."  Protein and fiber work for me.  I like to chew as it's more satisfying for me.

Raw veggies are great car munchies on road trips.

Janelle looks to me like she's as big as the first year of the show.  She's quick to try every new fad that comes down the pike, because it's easier than doing the actual lifestyle change.  

Edited by xwordfanatik
corrected a word...
  • Love 9
8 hours ago, DakotaJustice said:

Agreed!

On road trips I don't take food with me. I bring water, but on "long, long days of driving" it is so important to STOP, take a break and refuel. 

Generally I go to Starbucks and grab a coffee and one of their food items. I like the spinach and feta wrap which is easy to eat, tasty, low in calories and balanced. But sometimes I get the bacon/ciabatta sandwich. 

If it's a vacation road trip I'll stop at McDonald's and get two regular burgers and a small fries. 

The key is moderation. I don't eat McDonald's often, only when I'm on a road trip. I'll stand toe to toe with Janelle anytime, as a person who used to weigh as much as she does and has kept the weight off by making real practical lifestyle changes eating everyday food while she gulps down expensive, impractical, trendy "green smoothies" and dreams of pizza. 

I don't want to be gross or anything but for someone who is not used to eating healthfully I would think a bottle or two of green things might not be a good choice for the car.  I would think her system might reject it and a close bathroom would be needed like RIGHT NOW!

8 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

I still think Janelle tops off her smoothies and special taco salads with an entire bag of fritos.  She just doesn't mention that!

I was wondering why she needed two versions of that taco salad.  It is a salad.  Make them all healthy.  

• Love 5
6 hours ago, xwordfanatik said:

I'm one who spends her calories on things that require choosing, like carrots, celery sticks, sugar snap peas, apples, etc.  

I eat a salad for lunch with 2-3 oz. of chicken, greens, no-cal dressing, cucumber, with an occasional hard-boiled egg.  The WW version I'm familiar with considers lean protein, fruit, and most vegetables as "power foods."  Protein and fiber work for me.  I like to chew as it's more satisfying for me.

Raw veggies are great car munchies on road trips.

Janelle looks to me like she's as big as the first year of the show.  She's quick to try every new fad that comes down the pike, because it's easier than doing the actual lifestyle change.  

Sisters I tell ya!  I have to go high fiber/protein as well.  Just works for me.  I am also a bulk eater so I like to eat as much as I can.  Even when I was heavy I liked having almonds/water/jerky on road trips.  Nothing messy.  I admit I have a thing re dirty hands.  This is the least messy I can do.

It is impossible she actually does anything more than a couple of days or in the years she has been on this show and saying she is working out/dieting she would have accomplished more than a collective eye roll from anyone paying attention.  She is a liar.  

• Love 6

She may feel full for say...10 minutes, then she'll be rooting through the cupboards looking for a stale bag of Cheetos.

If she's going to feature that brown bowl in every meal illustration, maybe she can find one without a chip.

• Love 4

Or position the watermelon piece to cover the chip?  Just in case all the bowls and plates she has, are chipped.

No protein, again?  And the watermelon is supposed to satisfy her until morning?  Sure thing, Janelle.

Do any of her followers really think her "advice" is credible?  

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Natalie68 said:

I don't want to be gross or anything but for someone who is not used to eating healthfully I would think a bottle or two of green things might not be a good choice for the car.  I would think her system might reject it and a close bathroom would be needed like RIGHT NOW!

I was wondering why she needed two versions of that taco salad.  It is a salad.  Make them all healthy.  

Good point. 

You know what? I don't even count my servings of veggies. I eat lots of low calorie veg (kale, broccoli slaw, mushrooms, salad blends, tomatoes etc) to add volume and zest to my diet. I KNOW I'm getting enough, more than enough. 

That taco salad didn't look remotely like a taco salad. I think the white glop was cashew cream which is her big deal chi-chi fad food at the moment. 

There are TONS of recipes online for healthy taco salads - using shedded green and red cabbage, black and pinto beans,diced chicken, pico de Gallo, light sour cream, etc etc. Not that crap.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, DakotaJustice said:

I don't have a problem with smoothies themselves but for most people it's unrealistic to try and center their entire diet around them over the long term. 

Smoothies are already pulverized and it passes through your digestive tract to quickly causing an insulin spike.  Your digestive tract needs to digest it in its most natural form to get the benefits from the whole food.  Smoothies are okay once a week, but shouldn't be a daily thing.

• Love 3
(edited)
11 hours ago, ginger90 said:

And five minutes later you are starving and feeling unsatisfied and only a bag of Fritos will fix that.  I think she isn’t even aware of what she eats. Mr lookeyloo sometimes does what I call “mindless eating” as in he will take down an entire box of wheat thins if I don’t intervene. And say in all innocence that he only had a few. He is not overweight so it isn’t like Janelle but it happens. It would be interesting to have a hidden camera in her kitchen as she puts food in totally unaware. I also had a friend who was talking to me and ate half a cake. I said what are you doing? And she looked stunned and said “making it even”. She had no idea. 

Edited by lookeyloo
To add another thought.
  • Love 4
14 hours ago, xwordfanatik said:

Or position the watermelon piece to cover the chip?  Just in case all the bowls and plates she has, are chipped.

No protein, again?  And the watermelon is supposed to satisfy her until morning?  Sure thing, Janelle.

Do any of her followers really think her "advice" is credible?  

I do this all the time in summer and make it through the evening just fine.

That said, I suspect Janelle is a secret eater. There's no way she's eating only what she shows photos of and doesn't lose weight. 

• Love 9
5 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Janelle, IMO, needs to get some protein and fiber in her diet. It seems to me she is taking in an awful lot of sugar. 

But since it's fruit and chic health food it's perfectly fine for the certified health coach!

• Love 3
15 hours ago, DakotaJustice said:

Good point. 

You know what? I don't even count my servings of veggies. I eat lots of low calorie veg (kale, broccoli slaw, mushrooms, salad blends, tomatoes etc) to add volume and zest to my diet. I KNOW I'm getting enough, more than enough. 

That taco salad didn't look remotely like a taco salad. I think the white glop was cashew cream which is her big deal chi-chi fad food at the moment. 

There are TONS of recipes online for healthy taco salads - using shedded green and red cabbage, black and pinto beans,diced chicken, pico de Gallo, light sour cream, etc etc. Not that crap.

Her taco salad gives me the sads.  Cashew cream does not sound like it goes at all.  She needs to hit the point that you have where no need to count the good stuff because you know you are hitting it daily.  She just makes everything so much harder than it has to be.  20 years from now she will be trying whatever crazy fad has popped up.  

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Natalie68 said:

Her taco salad gives me the sads.  Cashew cream does not sound like it goes at all.  She needs to hit the point that you have where no need to count the good stuff because you know you are hitting it daily.  She just makes everything so much harder than it has to be.  20 years from now she will be trying whatever crazy fad has popped up.  

You hit the nail on the head and one of the big excuses that people use for not eating healthier is the amount of time it takes to prep. 

I'm a huge fan/user of prewashed salad mix, broccoli slaw, diced butternut squash,frozen diced onion, minced garlic, cauliflower rice, premarinated chicken etc. Yes it costs more but my time is valuable and I'm more likely to use stuff that's ready to go. 

• Love 9