Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E04: Your Day Is Coming

WendyCR72
  • Start Topic

One of 51's own needs the support of the entire house to recover from a near disaster. Meanwhile, Herrmann has to figure out a way to reopen Molly's after it gets shut down and Severide digs deeper into the arson investigation, while struggling to cope with one of his toughest days yet.

Everything on this show is so repetitive. How many times has Bodens job been at risk? I can't believe they ended Gabbys pregnancy so quickly. I'm no fan of Gabby Sue but it was about the only interesting thing the season had going for it. Now it's just a rehash of the fake out season one cliffhanger where Severide thought Sarah Shahi was having his kid.

• Love 3

I agree:

-They really go overboard with Gabby-Sue, indeed. It's too bad, because I liked her and Casey's scenes otherwise.

-I'd rather see Boden kick ass than being in permanent jeopardy.

Talking about kicking the dog, I need Severide to get a win and his mojo back.

Do they intend to redeem Patterson at one point? He seemed wistful watching the team come together and I almost believed he was sincere when he commented on it. Almost. Because I still can't stand him and I'm counting the episodes until he's gone, I wonder now if he could be a Jennifer Jason Leigh to Boden's Bridget Fonda.

Thankfully, there's Jimmy. His crush on Chili is plainly adorable. He slayed the hipsters for her, aww! They're like a kitten and a puppy together. I don't know, this season feels more gloomy and low-key than epic and engaging so I find myself needing the fluff. Shipper on deck, reporting for duty.

Talking about the hipsters, I want a walk of shame with their moving boxes. Ha!

• Love 1

I had dropped this show for a while and finally decided to check it out again. I see, it's still the Gabby show. I still don't get how the guys manage to run a bar besides having pretty taxing day (and night) time jobs. Does Herman ever see his family? Oh, and I'm impressed how fast red tape works in Chicago. Where I live getting historical status for a building requires an enormous amount of administrative hassle, at least one independent survey by an expert (sorry, cousin Anthony you're neither) - and it certainly won't be granted the same day.

• Love 2

I had dropped this show for a while and finally decided to check it out again. I see, it's still the Gabby show. I still don't get how the guys manage to run a bar besides having pretty taxing day (and night) time jobs. Does Herman ever see his family? Oh, and I'm impressed how fast red tape works in Chicago. Where I live getting historical status for a building requires an enormous amount of administrative hassle, at least one independent survey by an expert (sorry, cousin Anthony you're neither) - and it certainly won't be granted the same day.

The magic of television.

• Love 1

That was amazing. The guy took the measurements, then took the sample of the brick, got it to I guess a lab or something, had it tested, then got the results to the right people at the city and then get the city to not only get rid of the original infraction, but declare Molly's a historic building. Even for this show that was a fast way to wrap up a storyline. That said I wonder if there will be any kind of retaliation where the fire department has to do an inspection of their house, or PD gives them tickets every day. Because that would be kind of funny. 

• Love 1

He! It's tv land where DNA samples are tested and analyzed within hours so we shouldn't be surprised. (I happen to know someone who performs such surveys for a living and there's a lot of painstaking research involved.) But I did wonder about the initial infraction too. Having your bar located in a historical site nixes noise ordinances?

I like the idea of the candidate having a large connected family. We all know someone who knows everyone, and you can't mention anything without their saying, "My cousin is head of that!" or "My dad's college roommate built that place!" Chicago seems to be a place that is all about connections; it could be fun.

When Gabby and Casey got back together I made hubby acknowledge the order- he declared his love and then she said she was pregnant. I told him we were guaranteed to have her screw it up. This episode she says, "We only got back together because of the baby." I paused it to gloat.

So in one week she solved a serial arsonist case and exposed corruption in the department. Maybe on her lunch hour she can fly to DC and end the national debt. If she has an extra 15 minutes, solve world hunger. I think Gabby is wasted at the station.

• Love 9

I generally like Gabby, and did like the episode mostly, but I was a bit bothered by the fact that Herrmann only really addressed her in his message.  She had the more difficult time, of course, but it seemed like Herrmann forgot that the baby had two grieving parents.

• Love 4

I generally like Gabby, and did like the episode mostly, but I was a bit bothered by the fact that Herrmann only really addressed her in his message.  She had the more difficult time, of course, but it seemed like Herrmann forgot that the baby had two grieving parents.

And this is why Gabby has the Mary Sue rep she does (and deserves IMO).

• Love 1

But! Yall didn't tell me about the unintentional hilarity of Will being told to save Gabi, and him replying that was the only thing he was worried about, anyway.

I must be terrible because I guffawed. Loudly.

Edited by Watermelon
  • Love 1

Ugh since when does Hermann think of Gabby as a daughter? Dude has five kids already. That moment was ridiculous to me and felt really unearned and out of nowhere. I know they're close but a daughter? It was something I'd expect to hear from Boden over him if anyone was to say something like that. That along with the entire episode just felt like another ode to Gabriela where characters sit around and discuss how important and magnificent she is.

Having said all that I am sad the baby died. It was the only interesting storyline the show had going for it this season. Everything else is just lather, rinse and repeat. Molly's in crisis, Severide being let down by everyone he's ever met I feel like the same storyline is repeated every episode. The show just isn't growing anymore. Everything is stagnant and instead of moving the characters along in life the writers chicken out of everything and just replace the characters every season.

I like Chilli she's growing me and I liked the little flirtation with Jimmy. It's funny last episode she talked about throwing a baby shower for Dawson and this episode she was really upset about Dawson is hospital and while I get they're coworkers, have they ever actually shared a scene together? Still though I like her and I'd take her over Brett who's turned into the biggest dullard this season. She's so whiney and depressing to watch. Last season she was funny, this season she's just frowning all the time.

But! Yall didn't tell me about the unintentional hilarity of Will being told to save Gabi, and him replying that was the only thing he was worried about, anyway.

Heh, well, honestly, I expected that because Will had already said it was an ectopic pregnancy. There was no baby to save; there was no one to do anything for but Gabi. I have no idea why the question of a surviving baby lasted half the episode.

But I did wonder about the initial infraction too. Having your bar located in a historical site nixes noise ordinances?

The infraction was a building code one, not noise. I'm guessing there's not a real noise ordinance situation or else Portlandia would just nag the cops onto enforcing that.

Having said all that I am sad the baby died. It was the only interesting storyline the show had going for it this season. Everything else is just lather, rinse and repeat. Molly's in crisis, Severide being let down by everyone he's ever met I feel like the same storyline is repeated every episode. The show just isn't growing anymore. Everything is stagnant and instead of moving the characters along in life the writers chicken out of everything and just replace the characters every season.

I always thought that was a problem with shows that take place in big organizations like this. These people are supposed to be really great at their jobs, but you can't really promote them without getting them off the show and messing things up. Severide is probably the worst since really what are they supposed to do with him? I think the writers have no idea. I mean you can't really promote him, and I am not sure they want to bother putting him in a long term relationship either. They have already done crap with his dad, so what else is there?

The infraction was a building code one, not noise. I'm guessing there's not a real noise ordinance situation or else Portlandia would just nag the cops onto enforcing that.

Not that I think Molly's needs an ongoing plotline, but the hipsters trying to get the local cops to actually enforce anything at Molly's could have actually been an interesting story.

Ah - thanks for explaining. I had somehow assumed the hipsters had tried to go after Molly's about the noise and when they couldn't make it stick (too much police hanging out there) they tried it with the building code. Just out of curiosity - is there some feud going on between Portland and Chicago? All I know about Portland I learned from 'Grimm'.

Talking about kicking the dog, I need Severide to get a win and his mojo back.

Do they intend to redeem Patterson at one point? He seemed wistful watching the team come together and I almost believed he was sincere when he commented on it. Almost. Because I still can't stand him and I'm counting the episodes until he's gone, I wonder now if he could be a Jennifer Jason Leigh to Boden's Bridget Fonda.

Thankfully, there's Jimmy. His crush on Chili is plainly adorable. He slayed the hipsters for her, aww! They're like a kitten and a puppy together. I don't know, this season feels more gloomy and low-key than epic and engaging so I find myself needing the fluff. Shipper on deck, reporting for duty.

Talking about the hipsters, I want a walk of shame with their moving boxes. Ha!

Me too on all counts! Poor Kelly. C'mon over here and lay your head on my shoulder...

I was wondering same about Patterson. I am so cynical about every show I watch that I am constantly expecting the worst. I am going (to try) to rise above and take him at his word. His heart grew three sizes that day!

Candidate = SWOON. The brooder. Love it! and the Chili crush. Whatever happened with her drink idea? Someone else came to market first, but didn't she still have a shot?

When Gabby and Casey got back together I made hubby acknowledge the order- he declared his love and then she said she was pregnant. I told him we were guaranteed to have her screw it up. This episode she says, "We only got back together because of the baby." I paused it to gloat.

YES!! I wanted Casey to reply "HELLO. If you remember, I came back to you and THEN you told me you were pg."

I don't like Gabby. And I think the unexpected pg storyline showed no imagination on the part of the writers. However, did they have to kill off Casey's baby after his bff in the pilot, Haillee, his mother/sister/jail, head injuries 1 2 & 3, and Katya murder a few short weeks ago (if that!)?!? Plus we still don't know what happened there in the nightclub. 

Poor Casey. I want to see him spiral out of control over all this.

Edited by betsyboo
  • Love 3

Heh, well, honestly, I expected that because Will had already said it was an ectopic pregnancy. There was no baby to save; there was no one to do anything for but Gabi. I have no idea why the question of a surviving baby lasted half the episode.

For a moment I thought they were going to find a way, and set up Chicago Med to be as ridiculously unrealistic as Chicago Fire...