Type keyword(s) to search

Veterinary And Animal Rescue Shows

zxy556575
  • Start Topic

I just saw an ad for a new show "Vet Gone Wild" on Animal Planet premiering Sunday June 10 at 8PM.

[Dr Chris] Brown is set to visit Thailand, Fiji, South Africa, Vietnam, Namibia and Tasmania during the course of the series and will travel "by boat, on foot, by motorcycle or plane."

• Love 2
15 hours ago, RealityCheck said:

I just saw an ad for a new show "Vet Gone Wild" on Animal Planet premiering Sunday June 10 at 8PM.

Yes, Dr. Chris, Pet Vet seems to be expanding his horizons.  I like the wildlife stuff, so I'll definitely be watching.

15 hours ago, smittykins said:

I'm watching The Zoo marathon and I am hooked!

It is an awesome show, isn't it?  FYI - it also has it's own forum:   http://forums.previously.tv/forum/3864-the-zoo/

• Love 1
18 hours ago, RealityCheck said:

Unfortunately my satellite package no longer has Animal Planet. I would love this new show since I do love Dr. Chris.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

I've been watching The Adventures of Dr. Buckeye Bottoms since the start, but it never occurred to me (until last week's episode) that he is the son of actor Timothy Bottoms.  

It sent me online to do some digital memory-jogging: "Ah, BOTTOMS."

Do you like the show? I kind of enjoy seeing all his idiosyncratic, off-the-grid clients more than I do Buckeye himself. Like, on last night's episode I was sidetracked by the woman with the beautiful grounds, wondering how she kept her skin so pale with all that gardening. And the other client with the rooster who solved her mobility issues by driving a riding mower around outside.

I don't remember Dr. Oakley wearing protective gear when she uses her mobile x-ray machine, but maybe it's a different type than what Buckeye has? Lead aprons all around!

Guess Dr. Dee's series is over. The smaller cable networks seem content to just let viewers figure cancellations out for themselves. "Hmm. The last episode was 2016..."

• Love 1

I like the Hawaiian scenery and all the clients; Buckeye's OK, I guess, if a bit of a ham (he sure does love his dog, as do I).

Gee, I didn't even realize it has been that long since I've seen Dr. Dee.  Time flies.

• Love 1

DODO HEROES marks Animal Planet’s first-ever global series launch which will premiere on Saturday, June 9 at 9PM ET/PT.

DODO HEROES will feature inspiring stories of animals in need from around the world, and the compassionate humans who go to unimaginable lengths to give them hope.  Episodes include:

Derrick’s Elephant Challenge : Derrick Campana runs Animal OrthoCare and is one of only a handful of people in the world who specialize in designing prosthetics and orthotic braces for animals.

Izzy the Koala Whisperer : Ali Bee, a veterinarian with Magnetic Island Koala Hospital, and her family are fighting to save Australia’s rapidly declining koala population.

Pen and the Dogs of War : British Marine Pen Farthing and his girlfriend Hannah Surowinski ... run Nowzad, Afghanistan’s first and only official animal sanctuary which houses over 150 animals rescued from the streets of Kabul.  Pen and Hannah’s goal is to rescue and transport the puppies from Afghanistan to Texas, where they’ll be reunited with the U.S. soldier who saved them.

Jan and Tim’s Greatest Show on Earth : Animal Defenders International (ADI), led by Jan Creamer and Tim Phillips, ... has already helped ban the animal circus industry in over 40 countries.

Katherine’s Big Animal Eden : Katherine Connor and her five children run and live within a one-of-a-kind elephant sanctuary, Boon Lott Elephant Sanctuary, which rescues and rehabilitates elephants from Thailand’s tourism and logging industries.

• Love 2

i had an opportunity to meet and talk with ADIs main people, Jan and Tim. i was at a screening for their documentary “Lion Ark”. They are wonderful people with a wonderful mission convincing countries to ban circuses that feature wild animals. when the ban goes intoeffect, they rescue them. they are currently saving circus lions from Guatemala right now.

• Love 1

This article provides more detail about "Vets Gone Wild".

From operating on endangered rhinos in Africa, saving sick wombats in Tasmania, freeing fur seals trapped in fishing line on Phillip Island, rescuing dogs from the meat trade in south east Asia and helping orphaned sloths in Costa Rica, there is no animal too big or too small that Dr. Chris won’t help.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, raven said:

Ok so Chi Chi the dog's story on Dodo Heroes made me cry.  Thanks show.  That beautiful face, that happy smile.  Derrick's (the guy who made the prosthetics) dog Henry was super cute, hanging in the workshop.  I enjoyed how excited Derrick was to be in Africa.  Jabu was beautiful and enormous.  They are still trying to find ways to help him since his injury is progressive.

One of my newest favorite shows.  I felt like I'd won the Lotto being able to watch Dr. Jeff, Vet Gone Wlld and Dodo Heroes in one brilliant evening!  ;-)

• Love 2

To those who want updates on Jabu the beautiful elephant

Put a "like" on the "Living With Elephants Foundation" facebook page.

Doug and Sandi Groves do the updates.

8 hours ago, riley702 said:

I just realized "Dr. Oakley, Yukon Vet" has been renamed "Wilderness Vet". When did that happen? I had my recording set for the first title and hadn't been getting anything.

I think the Wilderness Vet series is just a repackaging of stories from previous seasons.

Season 6 of Dr. Oakley will premiere this Fall according to those online "renewed or cancelled" sites, for what that's worth. Dog forbid Nat Geo Wild tells us anything.

• Love 4
On 5/24/2018 at 2:46 PM, rcc said:

This will be must watch tv for you lucky ones.

Baby elephant, baby gibbon, one eyed rescue dog finding a forever home - excellent show, left me teary-eyed again.  And yes, Dr. Chris is easy on the eyes, which doesn't hurt.

I'm also really liking Extinct or Alive - the host is so enthusiastic, it's fun to watch.

• Love 2

I've been watching some of the Dr. Pol marathon this week, and quick poll: Is Charles (the son) actually a dunce or just playing one on TV?

That guy bugs me; I have the distinct impression if he didn't have a family business to "work" at, he'd be living in their proverbial basement playing video games.

On the flip side, Dr. Emily is the tops.  As a woman doing a "man's job" in farm country, I can just imagine the "Oh, please.  Well, I guess if Dr. Pol sent her ..." attitude she got when she first started going out on calls.  (Same with Dr. Brenda, but this is one of the few scenarios where I think a conventionally-attractive woman like Emily would be even more dismissed.)  I like her in the office, too; I saw one last night where she talked about having to go right into the next appointment after euthanizing an animal -- that next client deserves 100% of your attention, so you cannot be thinking about what you just had to do minutes before.  It's such a simple concept, but one I hadn't really sat and pondered until she said it.

• Love 4

My personal opinion is that he plays one on TV, and he overdoes it. He works in LA during the off-season when he's not filming, and I know he was an intern for Sydney Pollack. I also know this show was HIS idea, and he is listed as a producer. So, someone who can do that, and yet thinks a few oz. butter = 4 sticks (the episode where he was trying to make Eggs Benedict while his parents were at church) has to be faking dumb.

• Love 1

Charles is a schlub but at least he gives his dad someone to play off of/explain things to/order around and provides another hand when needed. Jan is a force of nature but he's not getting any younger.

I'm not mad at Charles for pitching the show but roll my eyes that he inserted himself in it. Stay behind the scenes in your low-level California production job.

I enjoy Drs. Brenda and Emily, too. They're both fairly phlegmatic and businesslike, which seems to be a good temperament for the area and farm jobs in particular. In comparison, Drs. Kelleher and Thielen at Exotic Animal are always cooing at and loving on their patients; it's a completely different practice and vibe. Which is to say: hey sis, stop teasing me about watching so many vet shows -- they all bring something different!

• Love 4

I find it a bit creepy that Charles has managed to find not one but TWO girlfriends that look like his mother. I hope the  one that marries him realizes she'll have a 6 foot kid on her hands.

• Love 3
(edited)

(The Dr. Pol marathon continues ...)  Good gods, seriously - take two different blood glucose tests at the vet's office and when infection is suspected (stress and infection both raising blood sugar), never once do a fructosamine test or even have the owner test at home to rule out a stress/infection response (more likely than diabetes in a six-year-old female with only a moderate weight issue), and put the poor cat on insulin, then, gee, find a pre-surgical BG of only 66 and have to give sugar to get the cat through surgery, and STILL label her diabetic?!  If that poor cat doesn't die of hypoglycemia, it will be a great stroke of luck.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1

I've been seeing ads for a new show entitled "Secret Life Of The Zoo" scheduled to air Sunday July 29th at 9PM on NatGeoWild.

The article refers to a show "Zoo Life" that I think has been renamed.

Six, one-hour episodes will take viewers behind the scenes to meet the animals and the army of people who work 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to create one of the best zoo experiences in the country.

Brushing rhinoceros teeth, training a lifesaving giraffe, and teaching a polar bear to swim is all in a day’s work at the Columbus Zoo.
Zoo Life features the incredible bonds between caretakers and animals such as when a flamingo gives her caregiver a hug and does a happy dance when she sees her.

Zoo Life also focuses on the Columbus Zoo’s incredible conservation work, including an in-depth look at The Wilds, one of the largest conservation centers in North America.

I enjoyed "The Zoo" very much so I'm looking forward to this show..

• Love 1

A correction to the title of the show in the previous post.

This is a great article about "Secrets of the Zoo," a six-hour miniseries premiering Sunday on National Geographic Wild.

The idea was to take viewers inside the jobs of staff members at the zoo and The Wilds, a zoo-owned conservation park in Muskingum County.

The series encompasses not only medical care (such as vaccinating three Amur tiger cubs) but also the work being done to preserve endangered species (such as a breeding program at the Wilds to increase numbers of scimitar-horned oryx, an antelope species that is extinct in the wild).

I can't wait for the series to start.  But while I'm waiting ... did anyone catch "The Secret Life of the Zoo" that started airing on Animal Planet last Saturday?  From this article:

On Saturday, July 21, 2018 at 9pm ET/PT, Animal Planet aired the U.S. premiere of THE SECRET LIFE OF THE ZOO.

Using a range of filming techniques, including a micro-rig to capture animal behavior close up, THE SECRET LIFE OF THE ZOO is a one-hour docuseries that captures the remarkable behavior of animals at [Britain's] Chester Zoo and their relationships with their keepers.

This show is a British import.  I enjoyed the first episode, which isn't a surprise since I suspect "The Zoo" wss modelled on this show.

• Love 2
21 hours ago, RealityCheck said:

A correction to the title of the show in the previous post.

This is a great article about "Secrets of the Zoo," a six-hour miniseries premiering Sunday on National Geographic Wild.

I can't wait for the series to start.  But while I'm waiting ... did anyone catch "The Secret Life of the Zoo" that started airing on Animal Planet last Saturday?  From this article:

This show is a British import.  I enjoyed the first episode, which isn't a surprise since I suspect "The Zoo" wss modelled on this show.

I saw the British one on secrets of the zoo.  It was pretty good, but, it seemed to leave some parts out or maybe, I missed it.  It started out showing the man who worked with chimpanzees in the zoo and I was expecting to see some amazing things, but, then it went into a story that focused more on an elephant that was giving birth and it covered mostly about her and a few other animals. Then, at the end, they show the man with the chimpanzees who says they are the very best to work with, but, I never saw anything more than that.  Maybe, my local channel edited it.  

I watched Dr. Jeff, the vet in Denver, for the first time today. At least two, maybe even three, of the pet owners said they'd gone to another vet and kind of complained about how much they'd been charged. What's the deal? Doesn't Dr. Jeff charge them? Or is his a low-cost practice?

• Love 3
11 hours ago, echo.Echo.ECHO said:

I watched Dr. Jeff, the vet in Denver, for the first time today. At least two, maybe even three, of the pet owners said they'd gone to another vet and kind of complained about how much they'd been charged. What's the deal? Doesn't Dr. Jeff charge them? Or is his a low-cost practice?

Dr. Jeff is awesome.  He provides low cost services (especially complex surgeries), does a lot of charity work, and insists all patients be spayed or neutered.  The show has a dedicated forum :  http://forums.previously.tv/forum/2626-dr-jeff-rocky-mountain-vet/

• Love 6
(edited)
12 hours ago, echo.Echo.ECHO said:

As already noted, his is a low cost clinic - sometimes very low based on clients ability to pay. Quite the difference not only in cost, but with how many clinics want money before/when animal is picked up. Something some folks object to, is that he is a strong advocate for spay/neuter. His clinic is named Planned Pethood, and part of his business plan/mission is to reduce pet overpopulation to reduce number of companion animals being euthanized... so part of the cost of those low prices is that dogs and cats are spayed/neutered when they are seen.

Also, there is a separate forum dedicated the show http://forums.previously.tv/forum/2626-dr-jeff-rocky-mountain-vet/

Oops, looks like @walnutqueen beat me to the punch ?

Edited by SRTouch
  • Love 4
16 hours ago, riley702 said:

He's low-cost, because he wants the animals to get the care they need.

Does the tv show subsidize his practice? If so, that's a great way to do things.

Vet bills can be crippling for families. It's a real problem because of course you need to care for your animals. But people can go bankrupt from medical debt. It's sad.

• Love 4
19 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

Dr. Jeff is awesome.  He provides low cost services (especially complex surgeries), does a lot of charity work, and insists all patients be spayed or neutered. 

This is vital.

Also, shelters and whomever else sells/gives away dogs/cats should be compelled

to let the recipient know the veterinary costs involved.  Better that an animal

should go to someone who can monetarily support the animal.

Otherwise, the animals lands back in the shelter or worse, abandoned on the street.

If a person doesn't want vet bills then don't get a pet.

6 hours ago, possibilities said:

Does the tv show subsidize his practice? If so, that's a great way to do things.

I don't think they do, because in the show's first season, there were conversations with his daughter over him cutting a fine line, while he scoffed and said he had no desire to be rich.

• Love 3
(edited)
8 hours ago, possibilities said:

Vet bills can be crippling for families. It's a real problem because of course you need to care for your animals. But people can go bankrupt from medical debt. It's sad.

It seems like the income from the show has helped Dr. Jeff expand his practice, do more outreach, and hire additional staff. Some of his more affluent clients contribute to a fund to help others who can't afford care.

Dr. Jeff lives simply. He has an apartment over the new practice and did the same in his old location, which was smaller and kind of beat up and where he slept in a cot. His motivation isn't to get rich from being a vet. The same could probably be said of the vets who work there.

Edited by 2727
  • Love 6

I just caught up on the first two Columbus zoo episodes and am on cuteness overload -- the little flamingo Haleakala who runs towards his keeper and dances around with her, the baby polar bears learning to swim, and the wee manatee.

There was some really nice underwater photography, too.

I didn't expect the zoo to adopt out the macaws they had taken from the rescue organization and worked on for months to get healthy. It seems like their mission statement is a lot more expansive than most other zoos.

The conservation park was interesting; 10K acres! I was surprised when the keepers said they will take the entire herd of horses in when one is sick so they aren't separated.

I've been enjoying the Chester Zoo show too, but to me it's more impersonal and they don't do as good a job personalizing the animals and keepers. Regardless, I'm just happy to see all the animals.

Edited by 2727
  • Love 4

Last night's episode of Secrets of the Zoo had me crying over a rat snake - I think the keeper's obvious affection for the snake really got to me.  But then watching the premature baby warthog gamboling around the enclosure when the golden lab was brought in made me ridiculously happy.  It was just so stinkin' cute!  I also had to laugh at the epic fail of the gorilla birthday cake.  So gorillas don't like getting icing on their hands, eh?  ;-)

• Love 7
On 8/6/2018 at 2:43 PM, walnutqueen said:

Last night's episode of Secrets of the Zoo had me crying over a rat snake - I think the keeper's obvious affection for the snake really got to me.  But then watching the premature baby warthog gamboling around the enclosure when the golden lab was brought in made me ridiculously happy

I know..right?

These animal shows are emotional roller coasters

I love it

I missed part of the Secret Life of the Zoo last night and was wondering why the female zebras turned against the male zebra. It appeared they took him out for some reason and then put him back with them and they turned.  Was he castrated? Was he overly aggressive?  I missed what caused it.  After the females started giving him the cold shoulder and turned on him, the zoo staff had to put him into a separate enclosure, because he was so unhappy with those females.  Just curious. 

• Love 1

@SunnyBeBe, the explanation about the zebras was pretty vague. The females decide if they're receptive to mating and the male wasn't forceful enough, or something.

Bala the baby elephant at Chester Zoo who died of the herpes virus nearly did me in. It can't be good to cry that much. Sadly, I read that

Spoiler

her playmate Hari later died of the disease.

e.JPG

Edited by 2727
  • Love 2

The male zebra was put in with the females for breeding, and apparently he was aggressive enough for that task, since I believe it was announced near the end of the show that two of the females were pregnant. However, once the mating was done, the male wound up at the bottom of the social pecking order, so to speak, and/or was ostracized. He wasn't able to stand up for himself during feedings and such, so the handlers moved him back to his separate enclosure. That's how I read the situation, anyway.

• Love 1