Type keyword(s) to search

Spoiler Discussion Thread

Morrigan2575
  • Start Topic

That promo just got me excited for next season. Usually they're so dour, but it looks like next season may be a tad bit lighter with more humor.

Edited by JJ928
  • Love 4

That was a great promo, and I hope the lighter tone is indicative of how the season will progress. 

I love that Felicity's capable of running Team Arrow while working her probably crappy job at Best Buy/Buy More.

Edited by calliope1975
  • Love 4

That Promo!!

OH MY GOD!!!

I couldn't stop smiling the entire part of it. especially when oliver is on the bike chasing the bad guys while at the same time asking Felicity if she'd like to have Italian for their date, and that "[he's] multitasking"!! ROFL

Fantastic!!

ETA: 

It looks like Oliver is getting Verdant back.

Either brother blood is back or Oliver is high on something.

Ugh, to Laurel.

Yay to a very Smily Oliver.

Not sure yet about Ray Palmer. I liked-ish routh Superman movie so i'm willing to give him a try.

Can't wait! for Thea and Malcolm storyline!!.

Loved Lance asking Arrow if he has a hot date, and that little smirk Oliver did :-P

Edited by foreverevolving
  • Love 2

If Felicity's working IT at some Best Buy ripoff then I'll be happy for Ray to offer her old, old job back at QC. 

Why do they continue to think it's a good idea to show Laurel beating up an injured unarmed man in a hospital bed in between Sara fighting a guy that fights back and Thea training with a sword? 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 6

Why do they continue to think it's a good idea to show Laurel beating up an injured unarmed man in a hospital bed in between Sara fighting a guy that fights back and Thea training with a sword? 

Sometimes I think they do this on purpose, which is why I'm not sold on them having any real interest in her.

• Love 1

Video summary:

Felicity is telling Diggle that there's an illegal shipment of RPGs headed his way.  "I'm on it" he says.

Oliver is talking to Felicity over the comms while she is in her NerdHerd gear asking if she likes Italian food for their date tonight.  He's "multitasking." 

Laurel saying to Oliver, "You keep this up, there won't be any criminals left for me to prosecute."

Oliver asking Lance "How are you detective?"  Lance replies "Wish that I was still a detective."  Oliver says he has to go and Lance asks him if he has a hot date or something.

Ray Palmer intro "I parked on your roof.  I hope that's OK.  You guys validate, right?"

Oliver telling Roy, "I never said I didn't know how to use a gun."

Aw It looks like Felicity is working in the Arrow version of Best Buy... Or Buy More. Poor girl :/

BUT HEY! BR actually was pretty good in the promo

I was hoping that she was there as part of a mission-I even tried to see if I could make out the name on her name tag, haha.

Guns,Oliver? Guns? I am with Ray, sorry, Roy's shocked expression here.  (Can we rename Ray?)  I mean, I figured Oliver knew how to use them; it's the willingness to use them that's a bit of a shock.

"I'm multitasking!" Hee.

That promo was everything! The wait until October is gonna kill me.

I started giggling as soon as Oliver said he was multitasking. I really like the lighter tone, although I guess we'll see how long it lasts once Malcolm, Thea, and R'as come to town.

And I love how excited Oliver is for his date with Felicity. It still doesn't match my own excitement.

• Love 6

+1

The show pretty much killed off any interest I had in Ray when they cast BR. It sucks because I was looking forward to the Ray/Oliver rivalry...now not so much. :(

Brandon Routh is still tainted with the 'this asshole's storyline nearly killed Chuck' brush, in my view. Not his fault, and I know the writers took the blame, But Routh's ill-thought-out character and the dreadful writing of his relationship with Sarah were what I saw on screen.

But even with that, I'm still not really interested in watching. Because I've seen all this shit before. And I've seen writers pretend they're being staggeringly original and clever, while they're just recycling the same tropes that every other show has already done to death.

I also have no interest in alpha male rivalries that end up revolving around a girl. Especially not when I see no point in any of it, because it's a foregone conclusion that Routh's character isn't winning. This show is called Arrow, not Atom. So just sitting through Oliver's manpain and angst, and through Felicity being suddenly oblivious to the idea that she might be hurting his feelings (like I said: Every show ever) just doesn't appeal to me any more than seeing Oliver rehash his failure of a relationship with Laurel again does.

Brandon Routh is still tainted with the 'this asshole's storyline nearly killed Chuck' brush, in my view. Not his fault, and I know the writers took the blame, But Routh's ill-thought-out character and the dreadful writing of his relationship with Sarah were what I saw on screen.

But even with that, I'm still not really interested in watching. Because I've seen all this shit before. And I've seen writers pretend they're being staggeringly original and clever, while they're just recycling the same tropes that every other show has already done to death.

I also have no interest in alpha male rivalries that end up revolving around a girl. Especially not when I see no point in any of it, because it's a foregone conclusion that Routh's character isn't winning. This show is called Arrow, not Atom. So just sitting through Oliver's manpain and angst, and through Felicity being suddenly oblivious to the idea that she might be hurting his feelings (like I said: Every show ever) just doesn't appeal to me any more than seeing Oliver rehash his failure of a relationship with Laurel again does.

I was actually referring more to the professional and superhero rivalry between them, but I agree with your point--the love triangle aspect of it doesn't interest me all that much because it's such a tired trope.  Who knows though?  Maybe the writers will surprise us and not really go there with Ray and Felicity.  *fingers crossed*

• Love 1

Yay! Now I can stare at that gif all afternoon and admire how much body Felicity's hair has.

Also, I'm willing to give the writers the benefit of the doubt on the Oliver/Felicity/Ray storyline. This show has been blissfully triangle-free so far, IMO, maybe because Oliver/Laurel/Tommy never felt like an actual triangle to me, which I appreciated. I'm hoping for the same this season, and I think there are lots of ways Ray could be both a business and romantic rival for Oliver without resorting to the usual triangle tropes.

Edited by KenyaJ
  • Love 1

What kind of sloppy writing is this? Felicity is a MIT graduate with work experience at a very good workplace i.e Queen Consolidated. She shouldn't have any problem getting a good job. 

And I know that people want Oliver to lighten up but those attempts at humor looked out of character for him.  And it looks like Oliver is having a pretty good time before things go south. It makes me think that the end of Season 3 will be a disaster for everyone.

I think it's perfectly acceptable for a person (in between jobs) to take a crappy job for the time being to pay off bills. Maybe Felicity is waiting for a slot to open up that's more appropriate for her skills in Starling (which may not be a lot). 

• Love 1

@Abhi, I think you're 100% correct about Felicity's job, but I'll try to fanwank that a) she's actually there on a mission, or b) maybe questions were raised about her shift from IT to Oliver's EA, and further questions about her job as the EA to a guy that totally lost his company, or c) because of the still nonsensical "Oliver has no money" plotline she's at the Buy More so that she can take advantage of the employee discount when buying new computer parts of the Arrow Cave.

Edit: Or what @wonderwall said.

If nothing else, the promo shows that Oliver/Felicity are more fun when they are bantering instead of angsting. Take note, show!  In a just world, the Oliver/Felicity romance would play out like Hardison/Parker on Leverage - where in one episode Parker did meet someone who was, on paper, a better fit for her than Hardison, but realized that she had more fun with Hardison.  Alas, this is not always a just world.

Edited by quarks
  • Love 7

What kind of sloppy writing is this? Felicity is a MIT graduate with work experience at a very good workplace i.e Queen Consolidated. She shouldn't have any problem getting a good job. 

And I know that people want Oliver to lighten up but those attempts at humor looked out of character for him.  And it looks like Oliver is having a pretty good time before things go south. It makes me think that the end of Season 3 will be a disaster for everyone.

I don't know if the writers understand what it really means to have a degree from MIT. Hopefully, they'll explain why she's making minimum wage in retail instead of running some IT department, but I doubt it. 

And I think there's a reason this episode is named "The Calm." Everything is going to get shitty pretty quickly. I just don't want the dourness and doom and gloom that overtook the latter part of S2 to continue in S3. 

I'm wondering if Felicity is using the NotBestBuy computers because she can. I think it's part of a ruse and she is there for a reason

And I love seeing Malcolm with that bow and arrow next to his face.  Augghhh so great

It appears that she has been doing this job or such jobs for the last 6 to 7 months and it's not even related to her specialization field. It's simply not a feasible situation. Felicity should be drowning in job offers. 

I swear these writers have brain freezes sometime. On second thought, its not too uncommon for these writers. Guggenheim writes the lawyer stuff that Laurel does in a similar fashion. But Felicity's job situation is mind boggling. 

• Love 2

That same kind of sloppy writing the writers have employed for the last two seasons, nothing new there.  There are a ton of "shouldn't's" we've endured since this show started.  Sure, the show is plenty entertaining (more often than not) but writing logic-based plots is not their strong suit, imo.  When they don't want details to matter or make sense, they just ignore them or hand-wave them away.  That's probably what they'll do here. 

I'm torn between being annoyed that they're giving too much away with still a month to go and wanting to watch it again. Heh.

• Love 4

Also as to Felicity's employment  I would imagine that if she got a job as an IT guru for any kind of big company she would be tied to working 10 to 12 hours days and be on call 24/7 like most are.  So I think working at notBestBuy affords her hours that she can still be Team Arrow and nobody is really going to look that closely at her comings and goings.  And she might even be using customer computers for her Arrow activities and no one is the wiser because customers won't know it :). IMO I hope that is the case and that would be pretty clever

Edited by catrox14

I think it's perfectly acceptable for a person (in between jobs) to take a crappy job for the time being to pay off bills. Maybe Felicity is waiting for a slot to open up that's more appropriate for her skills in Starling (which may not be a lot). 

One of the stories dominating my Twitter TL today is about a player for the Cleveland Browns who's suspended for the season, so he just took a job selling cars. And earlier this year, when I decided it was time to start working again after two years off, I was willing to take a crappy temporary  job until I was able to find a job I really wanted. I was a partner in my law firm and I knew I'd get another great job eventually, but I didn't mind doing mindless work in the interim if it meant being able to continue paying my mortgage. 

In any event, I think it's ruse. I immediately thought of her being the Big Belly delivery girl as soon as I saw it.

• Love 2

Maybe we should watch before we get all upset about it? It's a 2-second shot with absolutely no context. For all we know, Felicity took the job as a stopgap and ended up liking doing something non-corporate for a while. Or, it could be a ridiculous scenario, who even knows.

• Love 2

Oh, that promo! I, for one am extremely excited about the upcoming season. Yeah, some stuff will probably end up trope-y but the Arrow writers have ended up surprising me a few times, in the past. I'll just hope for the best.

I have a mighty need for September to end already.Can it please be October now?

I don't know if the writers understand what it really means to have a degree from MIT.

It's like people with degrees are having trouble finding jobs or that it's a hard economy right now.

Or that working with QC may have a negative impression based on the company's reputation (or Moira's)

• Love 3

I considered that, but it may not be a situation where she needs to be "Megan," LOL.

True, I just thought for a mission she'd infiltrate the store and take whatever name tag was there, which likely wouldn't be Felicity.

Unless she applied for a job there as part if a long game, which seems complicated.

Cool promo! Lots of good stuff in it. I like this light Oliver, very quippy (that "multitasking" bit had me cracking up, also the gun thing). The little smile when Quentin mentions "hot date" is too cute. Can we just have David Ramsey narrate promos from now on? I love his voice.

As for Felicity working at a Best Buy-ish store, I'm wondering if it's part of a mission. Even if it's not, I could buy her working there because it offers more flexible hours. Wasn't there a conversation earlier about how someone like her working basically as tech support at QC was beneath her? Maybe this is something that will be explored in her ep.

I think I may be the only person on this board who is actually looking forward to seeing Brandon Routh in action. I liked him in "Superman Returns" and have seen him in TV shows and movies here and there. I think he'll have pretty cool chemistry with EBR and he can do banter pretty well. I would love if "Arrow" adds a little more humor (which seems like the case, per interviews with SA and CH). All the angst in the back half of the season wore me out.

Maybe they went with him because of the physicality of his being a rugby player, it's not like that wasn't primary consideration with everyone in this cast: be hot, or kick ass or be hot AND kick ass.

But yeah I was hoping for someone more sophisticated looking, or who was, call me crazy, ethnically Arab. There is zero resemblance between this dude and KL.

• Love 4

I was thinking, "Well, we've got to save the big money for Ra's al ghul."  I didn't even check to see who the guy was playing because I figured it was some one-off character.  I guess that they spent all of their money hiring Brandon Routh :( 

Also, I would be fine with this dude being KC's love interest instead of Ted Grant.  Ha!

Edited by SonofaBiscuit
  • Love 1

The actor seems a little young too play Nyssa's father. I mean, he's only 42. I know they can age him, like they did to Manu Bennett, but still seems kinda young. Unless the Lazarus pit is going to be introduced.

Edited by JJ928

Ok. That promo? AWESOME. Love this flirty quippy happy side of Oliver and just how in love he looked with Felicity. Loved the banter. Loved the Team Arrow stuff. Not sure about Felicity working at a computer store. I mean, I can totally understand her taking on a job like that for a while but with her skill set and degree, I can't believe 6-7 months later she's still working there. Minor detail I guess. Ray seemed like an arrogant douche (I parked on your roof…ugh) but I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

The guy playing Ra's al Ghul? Um. Not sure about that one. He's supposed to be Katrina Law's father! Not who I pictured at all.

Edited by Guest