Type keyword(s) to search

Spoiler Discussion Thread

Morrigan2575
  • Start Topic

I think if it's a flashforward it won't be like the one in season 4. I think it'll be a flashforward at the beginning of the episode and the season will go on from that point forwards. Does that sorta make sense? 

2 minutes ago, wonderwall said:

I think if it's a flashforward it won't be like the one in season 4. I think it'll be a flashforward at the beginning of the episode and the season will go on from that point forwards. Does that sorta make sense? 

Like a time jump? 

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, wonderwall said:

Like the whole season finale is a flash forward? 

Just now, Velocity23 said:

Like a time jump? 

My only problem with that is that they would have to time jump/ flash forward The Flash and Supergirl as well to make the crossovers match up wouldn't they?

• Love 1

Perhaps that's also the explanation for the Felicity actress' reduced press/PR that was discussed in the media/mind thread? How scary! 

I could see them flash forwarding Olicity reconciliation or engagement/wedding because of their no romance/emotions stance? Maybe will be something to introduce the new S6 villain if they are going to have a TA/Villains brawl that will deal with all of those. I'm still long term speccing that Merlyn will be the final season's villain. 

Edited by leopardprint
1 hour ago, tv echo said:

Unlike last season, the back half of S5 is starting to look like an improvement over the front half. (Caveat: the season's not over yet and could still end up in the dumpster.) So I took a look at the directors and writers for this season. While the writers haven't changed that much from 5A to 5B, there are a lot more NEW directors in 5B. So now I'm wondering how much of an episode is shaped by the writing and how much is shaped by the directing...

Ep    Director                   Writers

501  James Bamford        MG & WM
502  James Bamford        Speed Weed & Beth Schwartz
503  Gregory Smith         Ben Sokolowski & Emilio Ortega Aldrich
504  Dermott Downs       Brian Ford Sullivan & Oscar Balderrama    
505  Laura Belsey             Oscar Balderrama & Sarah Tarkoff
506  John Behring            WM & Brian Ford Sullivan
507  Gordon Verheul       Ben Sokolowski & Emilio Ortega Aldrich
508  James Bamford        MG & WM    
509  Antonio Negret        WM & Beth Schwartz

510  Gregory Smith          Ben Sokolowski & Brian Ford Sullivan
511  Mark Bunting            Speed Weed & Sarah Tarkoff    
512  Ben Bray                    Oscar Balderrama & Emilio Ortega Alrich
513  Kristin Windell           MG
514  Mary Lambert            Barbara Bloom & Jenny Lynn
515  Michael Schultz          Speed Weed & Ben Sokolowski    
516  Ken Shane                  Beth Schwartz & Sarah Tarkoff
517  Kevin Tanchaeron       Brian Ford Sullivan & Emilio Ortega Aldrich
518  JJ Makaro                   Rebecca Bellotto
519  Joel Navoa                  Speed Weed & Elizabeth Kim
520  Wendy Stanzler          WM & Beth Schwartz
521  Laura Belsey                MG & Sarah Tarkoff    
522  Mairzee Almas            Speed Weed & Oscar Balderrama
523  Jesse Warn                  WM & MG

It's interesting that there is only one solo credit for the season and that person only has one other writing credit to her name. And it isn't even Arrow. How does that happen?  Not that I'm complaining. I thought Disbanded was one of the best written episodes of the season. For me, the only real clunker was the reference to Thea calling Oliver after she gets an update from the team. That was kind of WTF.  Uh, you just GOT the update - Ollie needs you STAT!

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, finnaire said:

It's interesting that there is only one solo credit for the season and that person only has one other writing credit to her name. And it isn't even Arrow. How does that happen?

I have a baseless suspicion that they use Arrow to test/train new writers and crew that move onto other shows like they use it to launch other characters. 

Edited by leopardprint

It just seems like giving an untested writer her own episode is kind of risky. It would make more sense to pair her up with a more seasoned writer for her first episode. But, kudos, it was a great first effort. I hope you're wrong and they keep her.

56 minutes ago, leopardprint said:

@theOAfc, did you like it because of the content of the flash forward, the mysterious death or the device itself? I think the buzz was from "someone's going to die but who?" and I just don't see how they can keep it high stakes. Are they going to kill a Canary every season? Who cares? I do agree it will get old very quickly. 

I liked it because it was something different,it gave us a great olicity scene and because it created a mystery about the big death. I think it served its purpose just fine but maybe it only worked beause it was a one time thing.

• Love 1
Just now, finnaire said:

It just seems like giving an untested writer her own episode is kind of risky. It would make more sense to pair her up with a more seasoned writer for her first episode. But, kudos, it was a great first effort. I hope you're wrong and they keep her.

Most shows in general hire a freelance writer(s) for one episode a season, like they did for 416 (which RB also wrote, so this isn't her first Arrow episode ever). When you hire a freelance writer, you give them the show bible and ask them to write to an outline that you already have to give them experience to either make them a staff writer or allow them to try to become a staff writer on another show. I've always been surprised that I usually like freelanced episodes in other shows, so this was no exception (along with 416, which I also liked).

• Love 5

I'm not opposed to flash forwards. I just don't want to see virtually the same scene repeatedly like they did last time. I'd like to see separate scenes that could be pieced together like a puzzle.  Or, maybe a flash forward from various characters perspectives. 

If done right, I think they could be effective. I thought the one they did was good but I don't want another mystery death.  I also don't want them to steal too much time from present day. For me, that was the problem with the flashbacks.

Stephen has mentioned being a fan of Lost FFWD in season 3 finale as a fav of his so I wouldn't be shocked if he gets that wish.

Also I think a time jump is a possibility, where we see 5-6 months after the finale. I think if they know who the season 6 big bad is (I still think Kovar) then that is a good way to introduce him.

AoS pulled a time jump at the end of its s3 finale to the beginning of s4, so I could see Arrow doing the same (I just say this since AoS pulled the who's going to die flash-forward from Arrow, so who's to say that Arrow couldn't take AoS's semi-recently used gimmick?)

(edited)
9 minutes ago, Cleanqueen said:

Stephen has mentioned being a fan of Lost FFWD in season 3 finale as a fav of his so I wouldn't be shocked if he gets that wish.

Also I think a time jump is a possibility, where we see 5-6 months after the finale. I think if they know who the season 6 big bad is (I still think Kovar) then that is a good way to introduce him.

Does that even count? Arrow always jumps 5 months from season finale to next season premiere.  All this time jump would do is basically end 523 with a scene or situation from 601.

They also can't jump too far into the future because Flash/Arrow lineup timeline wise. Even LoT (from what I can see) treats Arrow time as the current time.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1

A flash forward could also be used to set the tone for the next season.

32 minutes ago, way2interested said:

Most shows in general hire a freelance writer(s) for one episode a season, like they did for 416 (which RB also wrote, so this isn't her first Arrow episode ever). When you hire a freelance writer, you give them the show bible and ask them to write to an outline that you already have to give them experience to either make them a staff writer or allow them to try to become a staff writer on another show. I've always been surprised that I usually like freelanced episodes in other shows, so this was no exception (along with 416, which I also liked).

I have the impression that outside writers pay more attention to the Arrow show bible than its in house writers do.

The only big WTH? on this episode for me was the idea that Thea didn't care enough to rush back and see how Oliver is doing and that could easily have been changed by tweeking the wording.  And since MG and WM are supposed to go over all the scripts and make final adjustments, that's on them.

3 hours ago, Chaser said:

I'm not set on a Helix theory, I just know I want it to go into S6. I will say that I really want a scene with EBR and DL, so Kovar wouldn't make me mad. 

I guess it comes down to if they are planning to have Kovar die in the flashbacks on the island, or have him to fight at the end of this season in which case you can get the Felicity/Kovar match-up.

Just now, statsgirl said:

I have the impression that outside writers pay more attention to the Arrow show bible than its in house writers do.

The only big WTH? on this episode for me was the idea that Thea didn't care enough to rush back and see how Oliver is doing and that could easily have been changed by tweeking the wording.  And since MG and WM are supposed to go over all the scripts and make final adjustments, that's on them.

To be fair, I would think that outside writers who want a steady job would want to make sure their episode matches the canon of the show as well as possible and wouldn't go too off-normal as much as a writer/show-runner who's been there for years. Although the Thea line I do blame on whoever went over the script since it basically sounded like it was written by a person who had no idea how to explain how Thea wasn't there.

• Love 1
46 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Does that even count? Arrow always jumps 5 months from season finale to next season premiere.  All this time jump would do is basically end 523 with a scene or situation from 601.

They also can't jump too far into the future because Flash/Arrow lineup timeline wise. Even LoT (from what I can see) treats Arrow time as the current time.

Yeah to me that would how they start the next journey...unless the finale is 2 hours, I can't see it being more than just them taking down prometheus. If we get that 5 month flash forward then we can at least know a little about whats to come unlike season 4 where people were just left confused. Or it doesn't have to be a flash forward but something like end of season 2 where they showed his next destination in the flashbacks.

I kind of hope we're done with flashbacks and time jumps and stuff, apart from like the occasional spotlight episode on a certain character. I'm now expecting the season to end in a very Lost way though, "Felicity! We have to go back..."

• Love 2

“I know that a lot of people who have been watching the show have been getting impatient is one word, upset is another, hopeless is the strongest way to put it, but at the same time, it’s our fifth season, we can take our time with things. "

Those words are indeed some ways to put it, SA.

• Love 20

lol taking things slowly because they can in season 5. More like it's season 5 and they were told they have at least 2 more seasons and they need to stall whether it makes sense or not. Tho why they think a couple that was together for 15 episodes out of 110 needs to be stalled for a season and a half, I'll never understand. 

• Love 18
1 minute ago, Chaser said:

That's the opposite way to look at it. Slow burn works in the first few seasons, we are passed that. Especially when they went so far in 4A. 

Yup. And "slow burn" is different than "we're going to ignore these characters' dynamic, spend enormous amounts of time with obvious ship stalls, have them interact weirdly (or barely at all) for 19 episodes, and then finally explain it all in episode 20." But sure, Steve.

• Love 22

I really hope there was someone working on that show that said, "You know, maybe waiting until episode 20 to explain their relationship this season is a bad idea" even if everyone else disagreed. Tell me someone who works on the show thought this wasn't a good idea please.

I wonder if the real explanation is, "We just didn't want to write the beginning of their relationship again, just like we skipped the flirting between seasons 2 and 3 and them together between seasons 3 and 4." And so we got stuck with these 18 episodes. 

• Love 11
6 hours ago, LeighAn said:

Why didn't she want to do it?

They did tests with it and without it. Since she was so covered it up already, she thought it made the overall look to masculine. 

HTGAWM does flashfowards every season and throughout the season. If Arrow plans on doing it, they should look to them as inspiration since it would work for 1 season.

Yeah at least Stephen used the right words and yes taking 20 episodes to address the biggest elephant in the room would leave a lot of people angry. But I am glad he at least sees it from our point of view unlike others that shall stay nameless. 

• Love 8

I really wouldn't call this season (and what happened after O/F broke up in s4) a slow burn. More along the lines of pretending it didn't happen and realizing/deciding too late that they can't do that.

I can guarantee after 520 there's gonna be a section of fans who will be like "Why are they bringing up Olicity again? They were over. This has come out of nowhere!" and that wouldn't be the case if a) they'd addressed things earlier and b) it was a true slow burn because there would have been more hints along the way and I don't just mean subtle ones. Just IMO.

Edited by Angel12d
  • Love 23
1 hour ago, Trisha said:

ETA: I thought it was a new tattoo but it looks like it's the Bratva one...

Bratva tattoo says flashback. But the cargo pants say present day bunker workout. It's confusing.

How twisty is MG with his words?

I'm wondering if the positive Olicity moment will be 100% obviously positive or something stupid like Oliver hands Felicity her shoes and some people will take that as a sign for marriage because shoes plus green lighting equals Olicity triplets or some other nonsense. 

• Love 11

The finale title could be island-related if all the spec that it takes place on Lian Yu is correct, and maybe he doesn't think anyone has put that together yet?

And that last scene in the S4 finale could be considered a positive Olicity moment, and then we saw how season 5 has been, so... 

• Love 1

You know, as much as I like Olicity teases, I do wish we'd get word about Felicity/Diggle and Felicity/Thea scenes coming up. But I fear that I should maybe just start hoping that Felicity and Thea are in a scene together again before the end of the season... 

• Love 3

Um. No offense but I don't have to be grateful for a "moment" in the finale tbh. People are allowed to feel however they want to feel about these spoilers. 

I mean, I hope it's a wonderful moment but with the way this season has been, I don't blame anyone for being doubtful and expressing that.

Edited by Angel12d
  • Love 14
20 minutes ago, insomniadreams88 said:

You know, as much as I like Olicity teases, I do wish we'd get word about Felicity/Diggle and Felicity/Thea scenes coming up. But I fear that I should maybe just start hoping that Felicity and Thea are in a scene together again before the end of the season... 

You're a big dreamer! I'm at Thea and Felicity having scenes in the same location or even same episode! 

Is Lyla around until 523? I want Diggle to do something beyond reckless idiot wrangler. Even though I did enjoy the Platonic Life Partner thing with Oliver this week. 

Edited by leopardprint
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Cleanqueen said:

Yeah at least Stephen used the right words and yes taking 20 episodes to address the biggest elephant in the room would leave a lot of people angry. But I am glad he at least sees it from our point of view unlike others that shall stay nameless. 

We give SA a lot of shade for a lot of things on this show but I think he handled that well.  He's not responsible for the plotting and he can't give anything away of course but it always helps to have our feelings acknowledged.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, leopardprint said:

You're a big dreamer! I'm at Thea and Felicity having scenes in the same location or even same episode! 

They've had three scenes together this season. That's maxing out their quota already.