Type keyword(s) to search

Spoiler Discussion Thread

Morrigan2575
  • Start Topic

I am convinced someone dies or leaves in a permanent way, because all of these little posts collected indicate something permanent. I think the show would see these kinds of tweets as teases, vague enough not to be real spoilers, and 90+% of their audience doesn't follow this stuff anyway, so it really doesn't matter to them.

That said, I spent about ten minutes trying to convince myself it could be Laurel instead of Roy, but there's just no way. She was in LA for this goodbye scene; it wasn't her or Quentin*. It seems like it has to be tied to Thea's mask, and their whole obsession with mantle passing--she's Speedy, and this is how she takes the red suit and mask. They've even made a point of Roy's size this season, which will make it more believable that she could just wear the same suit. I truly wish she were taking up the Canary mask instead, but that's just not what's happening.

(Somehow, despite that this possible death would clearly be to elevate Thea, it still feels in service to Laurel for me. But that's because I resent her uselessness, and after other shows I watch have dispatched their dead-weight characters, I'm even more resentful that this show just won't, and other characters/actors pay the price instead.)

(*The only way it could be Quentin is if he filmed a separate final scene with Laurel and then she wasn't a part of whatever scene SA/CH were talking about, for some reason.)

• Love 7

But Roy isn't Speedy and there's no reason to kill Arsenal off to further Thea becoming Speedy.  Not only isn't it required by Comic Canon but there's nothing in the show that would require it.  Thea's been on the path to training and being a vigilante since Moira died in S2, there's no need to kill another character to get her to put on a mask.  

• Love 3
(edited)

Just when I thought the season couldn't get any darker. I am somewhat convinced if anyone bites the dust, it will be Roy. He usually works as a sidekick, doesn't have a lot of lines and is basically just there. Also wasn't there a picture with SA, KC and CH where SA mentions that they captured something for the last time? Regardless, I will miss him and I think another death is really unnecessary. However his death could be a motivation for Thea and honestly it is not like the writers know how to write for Roy. He never had a decent storyline. The EPs will just use their usual:"His story was told." 

They will not have Laurel die. They will never have Laurel die. I am 100% sure that she will always be safe. They'd kill off Diggle and Felicity before killing of Laurel. 

Edited by Belinea

At this point I don't know if their tweets are purposely misleading or someone really is dying. I can't imagine them killing Roy, I wouldn't care but I'd be surprised. Then again I didn't think they'd kill Sara (never trust Colton). Lance is the most likely candidate to me... but one of the EP's said in an interview they were writing 3x21, & Lance/Laurel were still strained and not talking. So assuming that's not a misdirect then Lance is still alive. I will LOL if what some people up thread say is true, and they're talking about losing the foundry or getting a new suit.

Yeah, I kind of resent the hell out of the fact that people around Laurel are picked off one by one, but they will just not let her go.  I have rarely seen a show cling to a relatively unpopular character like this one does.  In almost any other show, Laurel would have been toast by season 2.

• Love 12
(edited)

Yeah, I kind of resent the hell out of the fact that people around Laurel are picked off one by one, but they will just not let her go.  I have rarely seen a show cling to a relatively unpopular character like this one does.  In almost any other show, Laurel would have been toast by season 2.

You'd think so, but Lana Lang stuck around through season 8 of Smallville despite wide-spread hate.

Killing Roy is a waste. He has so much story left unexplored. If you kill him now, then what was the point of him?

But hey, this will free up for screentime for Buckles, so I'm sure the EP's are all for it. Too bad the CW won't step in and make the writers get rid of Laurel the way FOX did with Sleepy Hollow writers with their hard-on for their own reviled character Katrina.

Edited by Lord Kira
  • Love 4
(edited)

Killing Tommy, Sara and Moira was waste. They all had more story in them. Roy and Quentin haven't done much this season. To these writers that means they have no more story to tell. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 1

Quentin is more valuable to the show, though. He helps keep things grounded. He is the law enforcement connection (unless they kill him and have Laurel take that too) as well as one of the few non-mask's in the show. Then again, the writers have cared more about comics lately than about what makes sense on screen.

The only positive I can see out of killing Quentin is that he wouldn't have to put up with Laurel anymore.

• Love 4

And the irony of the whole thing is that Laurel's biggest whine/issue/challenge was that everyone around her leaves her.  Congratulations Laurel. You are the kiss of death.

• Love 7
(edited)

Killing Tommy, Sara and Moira was waste. They all had more story in them. Roy and Quentin haven't done much this season. To these writers that means they have no more story to tell. 

Despite the fact that the reason they haven't done anything is because those same writers instead chose to focus on Laurel as BC and some convoluted Malcolm bullshit. These writers sure have gone downhill since season 1.

Edited by Lord Kira
  • Love 1

And I am not convinced hat

Despite the fact that the reason they haven't done anything is because those same writers instead chose to focus on Laurel as BC and some convoluted Malcolm bullshit. These writers sure have gone downhill since season

And I'm not convinced that the bullshit with Malcolm was  not a SL gone sideways in order to prop Laurel and Ray. I have a hard time believing the showrunners really want the audience to hate Oliver or think he's stupid.

(edited)

If it is Roy, I don't think I'll mind much. He's improved this season but he's still fairly boring/inessential. And Colton, bless his kind heart, doesn't help things.

I'd be a little shocked though. This show killing off a white male superhero with a bunch of comic canon? Whoa. I always figured Thea or Diggle were next in line on the chopping block. That's part of why I think this might just be a misdirect.

Edited by MarDelSol

Mixed feelings on that one. On one hand, it continues the writers' worst instincts to replace character development with character death. And sooner or later, they're going to have no idea what to do with Diggle or Quentin and decide, "Hey, let's kill them off. More drama for Oliver or Laurel." You really wish the writers would stretch themselves a little.

On the other hand, this is like the first time Arrow would be killing off a character I didn't particularly care for. IMO, Roy has never really meshed well with the group, I didn't like the fact that he completely took over Thea's storyline in the season two. He doesn't have the nails on the chalkboard quality of Laurel, but that's primarily because he's been such a non-entity since joining Team Arrow. So Roy dead, Ray to the spin-off, and hopefully Malcolm also dead by the end of the season, that's a lot of clutter gone for season four. 

• Love 1

Well, we've got to clear the deck for the eleventy new heroes they'll try to launch next season. I'm 50/50 on it being Roy or Quentin at this point.

But why stop there? Let's kill both of them off, Malcolm, the kid, and Maseo. That 5 new slots for more white men. Laurel ain't going anywhere because the Universe hates me. There's no way in hell it will only be Digg, Oliver, Laurel, Thea, and Felicity left because that won't hit the 18-35 male demographic, because comics! viewers.

• Love 3
(edited)

I do wonder if they've finally run out of people to try to launch spin-offs for. I mean it was clearly a struggle for them to get The Atom onto the air and that was only after adding about three other characters to it, including Sara, (basically) an original character. The writers said they can't do The Blue Beattle or Green Lantern. The DC cinematic universe launching probably has put a tighter lease on them with certain things. I think they got lucky that they got to the Suicide Squad first. 

It's hard to imagine them trying to launch spin-off after spin-off every year when what character's left with enough star power to get another show off the ground now? 

Edited by loki567
  • Love 1

Roy doesn't die in the comics, does he?  How are the BECAUSE COMICS people going to feel about that?  Also, isn't Roy much more popular than Thea with those same because comics! people?  Look for the backlash against Thea to intensify is Roy is really getting killed off.  

• Love 1
(edited)

As much as I don't want either Roy or Quentin to die, I'm going to be especially pissed if it's Quentin because they easily could have killed him off at the end of last season if he's that irrelevant to the writers, and that could have been the motivator for Laurel's rise to BC. That way, Sara didn't have to die and then we could have had Sara training Laurel (not wanting to at first but slowly coming around to the idea) or maybe Sara struggling with her own humanity and the LOA. That would have introduced Ra's al Ghul and been far more compelling to me as a viewer than the shit we've had this season. Omg I just depressed myself because they could have done so much better.

Edited by Angel12d
  • Love 3

Quentin's old and doesn't have a mask, that's two marks against him. Plus it would validate Laurel's I can't tell Quentin, Sara's dead excuse. She told him and he goes to join his favorite daughter in leaving her. 

• Love 1

If they kill anyone off, I'm leaning more towards Roy. The writers may think its perfect. Kill off Roy and at the same time have Laurel train with Nyssa. S4 starts and Thea is now in the 'sidekick role' and a newly LOA trained Laurel is full time 'action' partner. Plus you get the benefit of it being a gut-punch to Oliver/Team Arrow/Laurel (because he was her biggest supporter on the Team). They may not pass up the chance.

• Love 3
(edited)

Look for the backlash against Thea to intensify is Roy is really getting killed off.

Does anyone even care about Roy that much? He seems like a non-entity on the show, even among the comics crowd.

Edited by apinknightmare

I for one, would really miss Roy for a couple of reasons

Oliver needs another male friend besides Diggle.  Diggle is great and he is the OTP forever but I think it's good for Oliver to have another male friend.

Roy is loyal even if he butts heads with someone else. He's generally not overly angsty and he's just nice. I like having a 100% nice person in the lair who isn't quirky or goofy. IMO he's probably the most normal person to don a mask because he's not as smart as Felicity, he's not a political as Oliver, he's not crazy anymore, and he's come from a tough life that he wanted to make something better of. 

I would really miss Roy and his new hairstyle.  But I will equally miss Quentin because he's the link to the police and Paul Blackthorne is so great that the show needs him to elevate the schlock they write for him and Laurel.  

I don't either one killed :(.  But I also don't want Thea killed because I just really like her and I want her and Felicity to be friends.

So based on all my musings I have to vote for Laurel to be killed because I really can't find any good reasons other than 'because comics' for Laurel's continued existence.

• Love 10

If they kill anyone off, I'm leaning more towards Roy. The writers may think its perfect. Kill off Roy and at the same time have Laurel train with Nyssa. S4 starts and Thea is now in the 'sidekick role' and a newly LOA trained Laurel is full time 'action' partner. Plus you get the benefit of it being a gut-punch to Oliver/Team Arrow/Laurel (because he was her biggest supporter on the Team). They may not pass up the chance.

I was thinking the same thing. Right now Laurel is the untrained rookie of the team, with Arsenal being more experienced and trained than she is. But kill off Roy, send Laurel off for five months of hard-core training with Nyssa over the summer, and there you have your GA/BC action team with sidekick Speedy. Oh and uh, those other supporting characters. /sarcasm

• Love 9
(edited)

I'm calling it now: they're killing off Quentin!

let's look at the facts: PB recently took a pic of archers and fakanary. he has the least screentime!, Amell is doing a Q&A with him, and then that twitter post about how though it is saying goodbye.

I want to say we're finally getting rid of fakanary but i'm too realistic for that.

goodbye Quentin... another casualty in the Fakanary propping line of fire,

Edited by foreverevolving
(edited)

I didn't mean to imply that I wouldn't miss Roy or want him to die, but I just don't see anyone getting so upset over it that Thea gets backlash.

So our "legit" costumed heroes apart from Oliver are Laurel, Ray and Thea? With Ray going off to his own show, so...just the two then? And if Oliver goes off with Ra's and Roy dies we just have Laurel and eventually Thea? Haha, okay. Will they maybe add Nyssa to the mix?

Edited by apinknightmare

I didn't mean to imply that I wouldn't miss Roy or want him to die, but I just don't see anyone getting so upset over it that Thea gets backlash.

So our "legit" costumed heroes apart from Oliver are Laurel, Ray and Thea? With Ray going off to his own show, so...just the two then? And if Oliver goes off with Ra's and Roy dies we just have Laurel and eventually Thea? Haha, okay.

I figure the fanboys (generic term) won't care about Roy until he's dead. Then, it will be all outrage and because! comics. There was no good reason, based on 2 seasons, for Laurel to become BC other than her name, but I've seen so many 'Sara was never the real BC; Comics!, etc...etc. It won't be real outrage, though, just annoyed fanboy internet rage (AFIR). 

Of course, I'm probably wildly miscalculating and no one will shed a tear if Roy bites it.

• Love 3

The one thing I think is unique about Roy and would be missed if he was gone is an actual connection to The Glades. Everyone else on the show is/was middle or very upper class, and it feels important for someone to still have a strong tie to the people of the city who get shit on the most. But the show is short-sighted about these things, so I wouldn't expect them to care whether the characters' concern for others feels authentic or like lip service.

• Love 10
(edited)

Does anyone even care about Roy that much? He seems like a non-entity on the show, even among the comics crowd.

Well, Thea is a woman, she has emotions, and she would be replacing a comic canon character, so I figure that right there will be enough to piss some of those people off.  

Edited by SonofaBiscuit
  • Love 3

Quentin is supposed to have some scenes with Ra's. Originally, I thought they had to do with the Public Enemy storyline and Quentin's manhunt for the Arrow, but maybe it has to do with Quentin's death. Like maybe Quentin refuses to go through with the arrest or he realizes he's playing into an evil plan and Ra's kills him for it. 

So our "legit" costumed heroes apart from Oliver are Laurel, Ray and Thea? With Ray going off to his own show, so...just the two then? And if Oliver goes off with Ra's and Roy dies we just have Laurel and eventually Thea? Haha, okay. Will they maybe add Nyssa to the mix?

Pretty sure DR was talking about the end scene in 313, where Oliver left SC in the hands of  Roy, Laurel, Diggle and Felicity.  Those are the 3 or more Legitimate heroes that can take care of SC aside from Oliver.  Actors always talk about stuff they've just filmed or just read in a script.  The odds of DR talking about the season finale when he just got done filming 313 are pretty slim.

Pretty sure DR was talking about the end scene in 313, where Oliver left SC in the hands of  Roy, Laurel, Diggle and Felicity.  Those are the 3 or more Legitimate heroes that can take care of SC aside from Oliver.  Actors always talk about stuff they've just filmed or just read in a script.  The odds of DR talking about the season finale when he just got done filming 313 are pretty slim.

Well, he did mention "by the end of the season," so I wasn't sure exactly what time frame he was talking about (and yeah, I realize that 3x13 is technically 'by the end of the season,' haha).

I was thinking the same thing. Right now Laurel is the untrained rookie of the team, with Arsenal being more experienced and trained than she is. But kill off Roy, send Laurel off for five months of hard-core training with Nyssa over the summer, and there you have your GA/BC action team with sidekick Speedy. Oh and uh, those other supporting characters. /sarcasm

This is actually really depressing. I shoudlve quit in the middle of season 2.

• Love 6

I'm calling it now: they're killing off Quentin!

let's look at the facts: PB recently took a pic of archers and fakanary. he has the least screentime!, Amell is doing a Q&A with him, and then that twitter post about how though it is saying goodbye.

I want to say we're finally getting rid of fakanary but i'm too realistic for that.

goodbye Quentin... another casualty in the Fakanary propping line of fire,

screen time may not be a factor. . . look at SUPERSARA!arc followed by dumpster thump.  Ugh.

I would be worried for Quentin but for SA's tweet about the last time of him, Laurel, Roy . . .

I think this is exactly what's going to happen. As long as Roy is alive he'll be a better fighter than Laurel, and I really think the writers want BC to be more important than Arsenal. They've already started hinting at Laurel possibly leaving to get more training (in 3.15 when Laurel was talking to Thea about what a good fighter Thea was). If Roy dies, I think we'll be stuck with Laurel on the team forever :(

My money is on Quentin. SA tweeted that he did a scene three years in the making and hashtagged it earned. I figure it is Quentin finding out about who the Arrow is which leads to the most famous trope of all, when you find out the hero's secret identity you die. That's one of the few tropes they have managed to avoid. God forbid anyone survives at the alter of Laurel Lance.

It also gives the EPs cover to point at a white male and say, "see, we don't just kill women."

I believe Colton has a fairly large following from that MTV show he was on, Teen Wolf? He might be adding some points to the younger demo.

• Love 4

I think this is exactly what's going to happen. As long as Roy is alive he'll be a better fighter than Laurel, and I really think the writers want BC to be more important than Arsenal. They've already started hinting at Laurel possibly leaving to get more training (in 3.15 when Laurel was talking to Thea about what a good fighter Thea was). If Roy dies, I think we'll be stuck with Laurel on the team forever :(

Having Laurel train with the LOA (even off-screen) would also allow them to say that Laurel is better than Thea. So even though Thea and Roy started training before Laurel (and with arguably better teachers), Laurel leads the pack by the end of S3. KC made a comment early in the season about Laurel being able to go toe-to-toe with Oliver. By the end of the season, I think that is what we will see.

I'm not taking Quentin off the table becasue of reasons, but I still think the table tips against Roy.

(edited)

I don't think it's Quentin is because it seems like KC was in LA yesterday. Then again, maybe she gets some kind of separate goodbye? Still think that if an actual person is dying, it's likely to be Roy.

Edited by apinknightmare

I've had to realize, reluctantly, that Roy's going to be the one to bite the bullet.  (Then I tweeted AK and MG saying "do the unexpected. Take Laurel.)

Besides Laurel being sacrosanct for some reason, they've had a lot of flack for killing off females characters the last two seasons. If they kill Laurel, who is the only female character I actually want to die, it will get worse.

On the other hand, both Quentin and Roy seem to be more popular than Laurel, or at least not as divisive.  But Moira and Sara were popular too, and they were sacrifice on the altar of GA/BC.

This whole thing is depresing.  My best case scenario is Laurel realizing she's a danger to the rest of the team and going off to train with Nyssa. Really doubt I'll get it though.

So if, in 3x19, Palmer fails, Roy dies, Oliver decides to be Ra's/joins the LoA, and the Foundry gets destroyed (I wonder what'll happen to Diggle and Felicity, though?), guess who Starling City's lone masked vigilante will be? Laurel "My Life Was Always Headed to That Mask" Lance. Lol. Nightmare fuel. Just burn all of SC to the ground and build it back up as Star City.

Diggle will head up the Suicide Squad, Felicity will join Ray and his Atom crew.

• Love 2

I'd rather Katrina Law go join the spin off with Caity. That way we can have two women kicking ass and not have Nyssa al Ghul being stuck with the lame character that is Laurel. 

• Love 6

If Amell's post about seeing things for the last time was about outfits, I think the other posts could refer to Malcolm dying, but dying well.  That could also propel Thea to a mask.  It is probably a little early in the season, but it's really long past time for Malcolm to go.  Amell in particular would be quite sad about that, as he and Barrowman are friendly and Barrowman's been on for quite awhile.

And I like Roy and hope he's not leaving.

• Love 2

It would be dumb to kill off Quenin since he's a Captain. They need someone in the police to help them.

I believe @Quarks said a while ago that Colton has more followers on social media than anyone on the show so why would they kill him.

Thea is getting a mask but it doesn't rule out her and it would be a surprise.

It would be nice to get rid of Barrowman and the cast really liked him so it would be hard for them to see him die.

I still think though that if they want to go out with a bang they should kill Laurel it would surprise everyone.

• Love 2
(edited)

What a waste if they brought borrowman back only for the worlds stupidest plot then kill him in 19/20. 

But why would Malcolm dying affect Colton so heavily??

Maybe not Malcolm so much as Barrowman would affect Colton.  They all love him.  What is the point of redeeming Malcolm if not to die a heroic death perhaps protecting Thea?  It's not everyone who gets to lose 3 parents!

Edited by Sunshine
  • Love 1
(edited)

I wouldn't rule out a big fat misleading going on. As someone has already pointed out, why would they spoil something like this? Yes, those tweets are cryptic, but they are all pointing towards someone -no matter who- leaving. Were there any indications about Sara's death while they were filming the premiere? I can't remember.At this point I think it's one of these three options:

1-Either Roy or Quentin will die.

2-Maybe all signs point to either Roy or Quentin dying, to have the audience shocked when  instead it'll be Felicity or Diggle leaving.

3-Maybe they just want to keep people talking and wondering who's going to bite it.

I'm choosing to believe it's n.3. The other options are too depressing.

I'm thinking they are letting these posts happen as a way to prepare the more hard core fans, the ones that are probably hanging on by their fingernails.  By letting us guess and speculate, when the actual even happens a number of us will probably have already spent our rage and have moved toward not indifference but it at least being expected and them being fans of the Dark Knight, the Joker did point out that as long as things happened according to plan - even if the plan was horrible like Ray and Felicity doing the lunge - then people will shrug and move along so if they want to avoid a lot of really angry posts concentrated all at once, the way to do that is let us figure it out for ourselves. 

They didn't do that with Sara or Moira or Tommy but then they took a lot of backlash over Sara's death.  The ratings between The Calm and Sara just plummeted. That kind of thing might have made them rethink their urge to keep it a total surprise.  I also think they weren't that concerned with backlash when they killed Moira since she was "old" thus in their minds expendable. Roy on the other hand is exactly in the demo they are targeting. Killing him would be out of the norm so maybe that would explain why they would allow the actors to soften the unexpected blow. 

Or maybe the actors are too bummed to not say something or this is their tiny protest at what is happening. 

It sure seems this way.

Maybe SA is talking about the flashbacks? I think we can say for sure that the kid is going to die.

It would explain why SA would be emotional.  Any father doing a scene where a child dies would be extremely rough but it wouldn't explain CH reactions. 

(Somehow, despite that this possible death would clearly be to elevate Thea, it still feels in service to Laurel for me. But that's because I resent her uselessness, and after other shows I watch have dispatched their dead-weight characters, I'm even more resentful that this show just won't, and other characters/actors pay the price instead.)

As others pointed out, Thea is already this close to stepping in and helping out anyway (she has the moves and why wouldn't she help out her brother if she thought he needed it?)  It would have made a lot of sense for Thea and Roy to work together as Oliver's backup.  Roy would have the extra street fighting instincts while Thea would excel in skill.  Laurel is the problem because she has neither the instincts nor the skills and even next to Roy - the clear side kick - her lack of experience is glaring. 

Getting rid of Roy won't change that she was side kick to the side kick, but I think the show runners are banking on absence making the audience forget.  Buckles can't stack up next to Sara so they ditched Sara. Buckles still can't stack up next to Sara but easier to pretend when Sara isn't around and they could be going for the same thing with Roy.  If he's gone, then the audience isn't constantly reminded that Laurel is trying to pass off a Canary that is less skilled and experienced than they kid Oliver took under his wing. 

Emotionally Roy's death would hit Thea, but the bigger boost goes to Laurel.  Her whole existence is propped up on corpses.  Why should now be any different? 

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 7

But why would Malcolm dying affect Colton so heavily??

Pretty much what BunsenBurner said.  JB seems like a great guy, and, no matter what people intend, once an actor is off a show there's no chance they'll hang out like they once did (barring future gigs together), so everyone will be sad.  Also, Roy loves Thea, so he'd have all that emotion put into his character feeling for Thea on top of his own about missing a co-worker.  I think it could fit.  Although it seems a bit early to get rid of Barrowman, I've never really bought into some grand plan of his this season.  It would be great if it turned out he was playing Malcolm and Ra's against each other to get control of the League and/or Zombie!Tommy, but I'm not buying it.  (Feel very free to prove me wrong, with a believable twist, show.)