Type keyword(s) to search

Spoiler Discussion Thread

Morrigan2575
  • Start Topic

Caity Lotz just exudes the quiet confidence that a superhero needs.  She is so fucking awesome.  The bitter....it burns deep in me.

LOL. I still can see no reason for those stupid buckles on Laurel's costume....except to be some kind of warped garter belt and stockings. And WHY ARE THERE BUCKLES ON THE INSIDE OF HER LEGS???WHY??.... It is so stupid.

ETA: I see what you are doing PTB with Sara's wig being straighter and longer than before.....ugh....

Those buckles are there to hide the fact her legs are about three nightsticks thick (seriously, look at that shot of her holding the baton by her side, her legs look so skinny and feeble). After seeing that costume, I'm convinced that's their purpose. What were these people thinking when they even cast her, let alone in the three years they've had since to realise how stupid it would look for her to be any kind of superhero.

It's like if they'd cast Mackenzie Crook as Oliver Queen, and expected people to believe it. They didn't. They cast a guy who looks like he can beat people up and hold his own against anyone. Then they had someone like that playing the Canary, in Caity Lotz, and they threw her away. Literally.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 8

Caity's keeping her skills up by still taking marital arts classes. I'm still hoping Marvel offers her a job as one of their heroes. Because I know I will not be watching Sara prop Laurel up. I can only take comfort in it being the Sara in Laurel's head not the actual Sara saying anything.

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 1

Nevermind, I thought the buckles were something else, lol. Stupid phone.

I'm super uncomfortable with the bloody Laurel pictures. I cannot shake the feeling that they're brutalizing Laurel to play into the audience's pity. Ugh.

Edited by dancingnancy
  • Love 3

TBH I feel that they are brutalizing Laurel to "please" the fans who dislike her which also rubs me the wrong way because I don't think even the people who dislike her want to see her bloodied up like that.

Edited by ban1o
  • Love 1

I'm super uncomfortable with the bloody Laurel pictures. I cannot shake the feeling that they're brutalizing Laurel to play into the audience's pity. Ugh.

Eh...well she gets no sympathy from me.  I feel far more sympathy remembering Sara being half naked and drug barefoot through the dark, wet dungeons of the ship she was being held on and subjected to all manner of who knows what. 

• Love 8

Ah, guys, I just found that interview again, dated December 10. They filmed 313 from Nov. 26 - Dec 9.... So....

Well if it's true, at least they're making an effort to have both characters in this tepid storyline appear fucking weird. 'I've been having nightmares. I think I'll ask my boss to come home with me and keep me company'. Right. I wonder how many times the actors on this show read a script and their reaction is, 'what the fuck? My character wouldn't do that'? Poor saps.

• Love 4

Also that interview picks up things also from previous interviews

ETonline spoke to Rickards back in October, where she weighed the pros and cons of Felicity’s eligible superhero suitors

So that interview was mixed bag for me.

I really don't want her brutalized at all. I'd rather she just be magically good than have to watch her get her ass kicked. 

Ah, guys, I just found that interview again, dated December 10. They filmed 313 from Nov. 26 - Dec 9.... So....

Could be they go home together and work on the suit. Flirt a bit, solder a bit, get electrocuted a bit. You know, the usual.

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 1

The buckles do look really stupid when you compare it to Sara's outfit. Again they made Sara's cleavage baring costume look more practical. Do they really think Sara fans will enjoy that episode? The fact that CL is like "nope" to getting Sara flashbacks now makes me not want to watch whatever stupidity they are putting her through to make Laurel happen. 

• Love 1

I am so glad I decided not to watch last week's episode. 

How in the world could Guggenheim & co. think these stories are compelling? It's Bizarro Arrow, with everyone acting out of character and nothing making sense. It's like Guggenheim didn't make it into the mad scientist club and in his quest to prove that he's got it, he goes and creates a mermaid, only it's a fish head with a woman's legs. No, no, no. You've given us the parts we don't want.

Is it cynical of me that when I see Katie Cassidy in her BC outfit, it looks like she's auditioning for the 50 Shades of Grey sequel? CL looks like she's out to kick some ass and KC looks like she's going to a costume party.

• Love 4

TBH I feel that they are brutalizing Laurel to "please" the fans who dislike her which also rubs me the wrong way because I think even the people who dislike her want to see her bloodied up like that.

While I do tend to cringe when she gets beat up, I then remember that Laurel will never really go through half of the things Sara went through, then I just find myself not caring anymore. It definitely sounds callous, but I can't help myself to think that. 

But I have to admit... I hate how the writers retconned Laurel's capability. In season 1 she could take care of herself, now she has zero skills. it's just not right. 

Edited by wonderwall
  • Love 3

But I have to admit... I hate how the writers retconned Laurel's capability. In season 1 she could take care of herself, now she has zero skills. it's just not right. 

yeah this. Like I know her writing has always been inconsistent but her going from being able to take care of herself to having zero skills and being useless is just ugh, 

The problem is Laurel getting her ass kicked is the only realistic thing on the show. A 30 year old lawyer with part time boxing lessons is not going to be able to handle herself in a down and dirty street fight. Or against anyone of Oliver, Diggle, Sara or even Roy's caliber.

If they think Laurel getting beat up is going to appease the fans who want to see her earn it, than they completely missed the point. I would rather see her get beat down in training than on the streets, where it makes no sense for her to be.

If going out into the fight was about protecting the city and a symbol, than what the hell is she doing now that Oliver is back? She literally got people killed. She almost got herself killed. Anyone with some common sense would take a step back. She did what she felt she had too. Why is she still there? At this point, its just selfish and about her own needs.

This got ranty and probably belongs in the bitterness thread. But I got pissed.

• Love 9

yeah this. Like I know her writing has always been inconsistent but her going from being able to take care of herself to having zero skills and being useless is just ugh, 

Eh it just goes to show how little they care about Laurel. They just care about her legacy as BC and pleasing fans. Otherwise they wouldn't retcon her capabilities. 

I see now that Sara's dead, they are not pushing her boobs up to her chin anymore...

They look mostly the same to me which was never up to her chin at all....IMO.  The wig is different though...to look more like the ugly one KC wears.  Weaksauce show....weaksauce

• Love 1

These side by side shots make me laugh because Laurel stole Sara's outfit and yet...no.

Laurel suddenly losing any type of self defense skills is just proof they went the wrong direction in S2. I was never a fan of Laurel but there were some qualities that they could have built on to turn the character around for me. They completely missed the boat.

• Love 1

While I do tend to cringe when she gets beat up, I then remember that Laurel will never really go through half of the things Sara went through, then I just find myself not caring anymore. It definitely sounds callous, but I can't help myself to think that. 

The biggest difference is that Sara suffered and survived all the horrendous and unspeakable things that happened to her in the 5 yrs she was missing through no really fault of her own. Similar to Oliver she was placed in these horrible situations and had to find a way to survive and maintain whatever fragment of herself she could. Laurel is willingly putting herself in danger by going out headstrong and poorly trained into the streets. It becomes hard to empathize with someone, who has been properly warned that what she is doing will cause her and other people to get hurt. Pity is something different than sympathy or empathy. Pity is almost a forced need to feel bad for someone because they are less in a position to succeed. I feel like the writers are pushing Laurel towards the extreme so that we pity her because her choices are making it harder for audiences to really get behind emphasizing with the struggles of her journey. S1 & 2 LL suffered from some bad things and even ifher choices wouldn't have been most people's choices you could understand where she was coming from. This s3 LL just seems so detached from realistic decisions. Its not that she want to be a vigilante. I could get behind that, but do it properly, train up. How am I supposed to feel bad for you when you consistently go against sound advice.  I think it sorta reflects poorly on them, that they feel the need to show her violently hurt as their means of making us feel bad for her. There should be better ways in 2015, to show a female's journey than unnecessary gratuitous results of violence.

• Love 4

When you look at those promo pics you'd never think Oliver was stabbed twice and pushed off a cliff not only a few weeks before, would you? Smh. I can't.

In those pictures of Thea, Roy and Oliver, she either finds out she killed Sara or she finds out Oliver is the Arrow. I'm leaning towards the first one. And then Malcolm will realize he's losing his hold over her and maybe kidnaps Oliver and Thea and takes them to the island, which then leads on to 314? I don't think they'd willingly go back there tbh. Also, will they see their father's grave?

Edited by Angel12d
  • Love 2
(edited)

Did they? In S1 she beat up one guy by jumping him from behind, he never had a chance to fight back and he obviously wasn't a fighter since he was watching his goons beat up Tommy/Oliver. That was the only successful fight that I can recall, the only other thing was the shotgun which required a rescue once it jammed.

In S2, she beat up 1 guy in the 201 and promptly got dropped by the other "hood". There wasn't a single time in S2 that I can recall where Laurel displayed skills, she shot fake Blood from behind and needed a save in both BoP and 220. In thee finale she punched a Mirakuru soldier after he was shot with the cure.

I don't think they retcond her skill level at all, she hasn't been shown to have mad skillz before this. Unless, I've missed something? Mostly she's done ok against people who don't know how to fight and been unsuccessful against those that have some training or skill.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 8

Did they? In S1 she beat up one guy by jumping him from behind, he never had a chance to fight back and he obviously wasn't a fighter since he was watching his goons beat up Tommy/Oliver. That was the only successful fight that I can recall, the only other thing was the shotgun which required a rescue once it jammed.

Yeah, Laurel's always been able to throw a punch and wasn't completely helpless, but she's never, ever been on the level where she wouldn't have gotten her ass beat going out to fight common street criminals, much less people who actually know what they're doing. She could probably get lucky once in a while, but that's it. She has pretty basic self defense training, as I would expect for the daughter of a cop. I don't think they retconned much of anything at all. 

She should've started taking boxing lessons a year and a half ago, once she started getting kidnapped and having her apartment broken into all the time. At least then she'd be a little further ahead. 

• Love 5

Rickards explains. “I think she deserves love and I think she wants love, but she’s got so much weight in other aspects of her life that it’s a lot lighter than dealing with the death of Sara or having her mom in trouble. She goes home and has night terrors, so why not have Ray Palmer leave with you?”

That sounds more like teasing the "why not Ray?" storyline to me than something that's actually going to happen.

Edited by statsgirl

The only other one I can think of is in the episode with the gangster guy who got out of prison.  Betrayal.  She did pretty well against the goons who broke in to her apartment to kidnap her.  She was, however, still kidnapped, so she certainly didn't do that well.

The nightclub thing is totally unimpressive.  Not only did she only go after the nightclub owner douche, she did it from behind, hit him a couple times, and then asked whether he was going to have his goons hit a girl.  Not exactly BC action.

In that one photo it really looks like Laurel is flipping fixing her hair while fighting a guy. I know it's probably out of context, but I am bitter to the point where it's like, they sacrificed Sara for this? Just....

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━ ┻

• Love 1

Yeah, that night terrors thing is both specific and…not. Having actual night terrors sounds like something Felicity's actually going through but the 'why not have Ray there?' thing sounded more like EBR trying to justify the Ray possibility, not that it's actually happening? I don't know. It's weird. 

Edited by Angel12d
  • Love 2
TBH I feel that they are brutalizing Laurel to "please" the fans who dislike her which also rubs me the wrong way because I don't think even the people who dislike her want to see her bloodied up like that.

If it leads to her death, I'm fine with it.....otherwise, it is a waste of screen time!

• Love 1

Maybe EBR thought the dream sequences filmed was going to be Felicity's not Oliver's.

I think EBR does try to sell the company line regarding Ray (SDCC for example), but nothing is going to make me buy into it.

I'm already not looking forward to "Canaries" and now those pics are making me not look forward to tonight's episode, and I kinda was, even though I should know better. But Oliver reunion...

• Love 1

I would be looking forward to next week's episode, because I've been looking forward to Thea learning the truth about Oliver for a long time. Unfortunately, there's all the.....other stuff. :(. Not to mention that I suspect, with the events of tonight's episode, that Thea still won't learn the whole truth. She may learn about Oliver, but I'll be surprised, what with Oliver working with Malcolm now, if they tell her about Malcolm drugging her to kill Sara.

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 5

LOL the Canadian promo just didn't care . I was shocked when I saw it lol. I guess the promotional photos with Thea, Oliver and Roy take place in the beginning of the episode

• Love 3

I really hope Oliver is playing Malcolm so he either learns how eliminate him from his and Thea's lives (if not kill) or sets him up to take the fall, he deserves, so Ra's doesn't target Thea.

If this theory is right Oliver not telling this plan is annoying but, well, bugged computers in the Arrow cave....(stupid plot contrivance)

I am excited for Thea learning the truth...at least about the arrow cave. I haven't seen the promo yet, is she there by herself with Roy or whole TA? They wouldn't keep "The Artow's" identity from her, would they????

Edited by Genki

I'm torn on whether or not they are doing a redemption arc for Malcolm. One hand, they were really pushing it tonight with the flashbacks and Roy/Thea and Oliver teaming up with him. But on the other hand:

The EPs call Felicity the moral center of the show, Felicity is tied to Oliver's humanity and Most Importantly: Diggle sided with Felicity against Malcolm. You don't go against Diggle. He is law.

• Love 2

So is Dig's speech from the 3.12 promo about how they all saved the city from one villain while Oliver was off being lazy after falling off a freaking cliff and he's just going to have to deal going to happen next episode? I can't think of where it would have fit in tonight's episode, supposing it was cut, considering Dig and Oliver barely interacted and when they did Oliver was telling him about his new alliance with Malcolm. Since it's probably about Laurel, maybe it's a conversation that takes place in Canaries. 

I am excited for Thea learning the truth...at least about the arrow cave. I haven't seen the promo yet, is she there by herself with Roy or whole TA? They wouldn't keep "The Artow's" identity from her, would they????

Oliver is there with her. He opens the door and turns on the lights. She says, "You're him." Not sure about Roy. I'm guessing while this is happening Roy is out with Laurel.

So is Dig's speech from the 3.12 promo about how they all saved the city from one villain while Oliver was off being lazy after falling off a freaking cliff and he's just going to have to deal going to happen next episode? I can't think of where it would have fit in tonight's episode, supposing it was cut, considering Dig and Oliver barely interacted and when they did Oliver was telling him about his new alliance with Malcolm. Since it's probably about Laurel, maybe it's a conversation that takes place in Canaries. 

Oliver is there with her. He opens the door and turns on the lights. She says, "You're him." Not sure about Roy. I'm guessing while this is happening Roy is out with Laurel.

I can't even figure out how his argument makes sense. It took them a month to take down Brick. And it was an easy take down. How the police couldn't do what a bunch of street kids and civilians did, I have no idea. Malcolm was the one who got Brick anyway. What was the point?

Maybe Diggle's speech is from 313 and it's about adding Laurel and Malcolm to the lair. That would make a bit more sense.

Man, they really didn't do Thea justice in 3A. Hopefully that will get fixed now.  But I really don't want to see Thea and Malcolm in the lair now working out with the others.

It would be nice continuity if Felicity's speech helped Oliver decide to tell Thea (at last!) because she's influenced him like that before.

I'm torn on whether or not they are doing a redemption arc for Malcolm. One hand, they were really pushing it tonight with the flashbacks and Roy/Thea and Oliver teaming up with him. But on the other hand:

The EPs call Felicity the moral center of the show, Felicity is tied to Oliver's humanity and Most Importantly: Diggle sided with Felicity against Malcolm. You don't go against Diggle. He is law.

I'm going with Diggle and Felicity being right. They're Oliver's moral touchstones while Roy and Laurel are the newbies.  Also, it's the better story, as Richard Castle would say.

ETA:  the "night terrors" line was strange because night terrors are more a physiological thing than a psychological one and people don't remember that they had one the next day. I could understand Felicity have nightmares but terrors?  Also, if she was going to have them, wouldn't we have seen them while Oliver was gone? Now that he's back and acting stupid, there's less reason for them.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 2

Sadly, not even Thea finding out the truth is tempting me to watch that hot mess next week. This Laurel as BC arc is so meh to me. I can't with it. Poor CL having to come back just to film those scenes. It's insulting.

I'm hoping Oliver doesn't team up with Malcolm. I'm sure there's a scene coming up at the end of an episode where Oliver is kneeling at Ra's feet? And with Thea hopefully finding out the truth I have to wonder if this plan to team up with MM won't happen after all. 

• Love 4

In the press release didn't it say that Roy tells Thea to stay away from Malcolm. I wonder how that factors into her finding out the secret.

(Also I guess he's off of Malcolm's koolaid then? lol)

Edited by ban1o
  • Love 1