Type keyword(s) to search

Spoiler Discussion Thread

Morrigan2575
  • Start Topic

Regarding SA's statement that "Before this season, when I said there’s one woman in Oliver’s life this year and that is Felicity. I don’t see that changing.” -- I'm still cautious because his statement is qualified by the words "this year" and because I doubt he knows what the EPs have planned for next year yet.

Regarding AK's statement that "Where that takes them is to some tough places, but also to some right places." -- I'm afraid that what the EPs consider to be the "right places" for Oliver and Felicity won't be the same as what I consider to be the right places for them.

Regarding MG's response to someone's complaint about Black Canary being made to seem like a less capable fighter than Roy, Oliver and Speedy: "Which Canary are you referring to?  Sara or Laurel? If Sara, she's every bit as capable a fighter as Oliver. If Laurel, you haven't seen her episodes yet!" -- C'mon, Guggenheim, after a few episodes, Laurel is somehow going to magically transform into a fighter as capable as Oliver, who went through years of training?  Laurel will never catch up to Oliver and will always be less capable.  She hasn't even had one martial arts lesson yet, and the comics BC was an expert martial artist.

Incidentally, maybe the EPs made Laurel look so incompetent in the earlier episodes so as to make her transformation into the super capable Black Canary even more significant.  I still think they're trying to bring back Laurel as the main female lead of the show.

Regarding MG's response to a Lauriver fan (posted in the Behind the Mask thread): "That said, the show just got picked up for a fourth season.  In other words, it’s not over yet." -- Guggenheim is still leaving the door open for an Oliver and Laurel endgame, thus lending further credence to my fear that he's going to hook up Oliver and Laurel again in Season 4 or 5.

Regarding MG's disclosure that Oliver's going to find out that Felicity kissed Barry in his upcoming Vixen digital comics, it still irks me (to put it politely) that Felicity is being used to prop up other characters, promote new superhero spin-offs and sell comics, but she wasn't included on the TCA panel as one of the "heroes".  It also irks me that they didn't introduce Vixen on either Flash or Arrow (probably Flash since Vixen has magic and Arrow is supposedly grounded in realism).

One last comment about the TCA panel -- CW President Mark Pedowitz has outright stated that shows like Arrow and Flash are aimed at male viewers, while shows like Jane the Virgin are aimed at female viewers (see THR article posted in the Media thread).  [Pause as we think about that statement.]  So I guess we shouldn't be surprised at the focus on costumed superheroes who fight (and all the women in black leather - China White, Huntress, Nyssa, Black Canary 1, Black Canary 2).  It just baffles me that the CW uses their chance to promote Arrow/Flash to television critics and their marketing theme is apparently (given GB's lame excuse)... costumes.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 4
Regarding MG's response to a Lauriver fan (posted in the Behind the Mask thread): "That said, the show just got picked up for a fourth season.  In other words, it’s not over yet." -- Guggenheim is still leaving the door open for an Oliver and Laurel endgame, thus lending further credence to my fear that he's going to hook up Oliver and Laurel again in Season 4 or 5.

The thing is, he cannot simply close the door on Laurivel fans and say "nope, not going to happen. EVER." He'll a) antagonize them and b) lose them. Fans are money. The same goes for Olicity fans - no deffinitive answer. It takes a bold move to sink a ship on the show: OUAT did that with one of the ships, Reign just cut the reins (heh) of its secondary ship. The EP's of Arrow have less courage, it seems. Plus, they want to keep their options open - I doubt they have everything planned out four years ahead (I'm sure they're making things up as they go, with "uuu, shiny new toy!" being their default setting).

• Love 9

I'm normally a rather pessimistic person, but I read SA's statement as encouraging. I loved what he said about Laurel and Sara. About both of those relationships relying heavily on who he was in the past (I agree with Laurel, less so with Sara because of what she experienced). I feel it was his way of acknowledging that Oliver would be taking a step back by being with Laurel. And then he spoke of the progress Oliver has made, he contributed a lot of the Felicity. I think that's indication that SA believes Oliver grows with Felicity. 

Regarding the qualifier 'this year', I didn't read that as 'I said it would be this year and I still say this year.' To me that implies they are sticking to Felicity this season, but who knows about next season.  Instead he quotes what he said at the beginning of the year and then adds 'I don't see that changing'. Too me, that last line coupled with the first part takes the statement past Season 3.

I would also add the timing of SA's comments (and DR's previous ones). They are five episodes ahead and they are still speaking like this about Oliver/Felicity. I think that's a positive sign. Remember, SA was backing away from the Laurel/Oliver before we saw what was on screen.

I really liked AK statement about Oliver and Felicity. Because to me, it says they are taking their time and working out their issues. If it was all about getting to Laurel and Oliver, they would have rushed it (Oliver and Laurel in S1). 

I don't think MG's comments about Laurel/BC should be taken as indication about anything involving Oliver and Felicity. He is basically repeating what he has said all a long (almost, he seems to have dropped the pretense she won't be a good fighter). I just don't think he is going to win the Laurel/BC battle. But thats another topic.

There is no set in stone pairing. But nothing I've read in the past few days has indicated they are moving back to their original plan.

• Love 17

Do you think maybe this is match for match type thing. Felicity on Flash and that panel.

Laurel on tca panel but not really in The Flash/Arrow crossover and she wasn't at the panel either. 

Either way Felicity is a huge character and to just outright exclude her in a hero panel was stupid and I hope some people got canned for that. So inexcusable. 

Regarding the qualifier 'this year', I didn't read that as 'I said it would be this year and I still say this year.' To me that implies they are sticking to Felicity this season, but who knows about next season.  Instead he quotes what he said at the beginning of the year and then adds 'I don't see that changing'. Too me, that last line coupled with the first part takes the statement past Season 3.

Of course, nothing is written in stone, but this is what I got from that comment too. 

There is no set in stone pairing. But nothing I've read in the past few days has indicated they are moving back to their original plan.

Same. And I understand their reluctance to declare an endgame ship. Since the anticipation of Olicity fuels so much conversation, I doubt they want anyone to get lulled into a sense of complacency because they'd lose a huge chunk of their buzz-generating machine. Not that people wouldn't still talk about it, but they wouldn't talk about it nearly as much as they do now if they knew it was a sure thing.

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 1

Is it just me or does Ray look exactly like Tony Stark in the first Iron Man. When I saw the pictures all I thought of was Iron Man. Maybe it is just me. Obviously Tony is a little further ahead. (Since I love that movie, I can say that nobody comes close to RDJ and his charisma in that movie)

21641.jpg?itok=uIHWEaVe

Edited by Belinea
  • Love 5

One last comment about the TCA panel -- CW President Mark Pedowitz has outright stated that shows like Arrow and Flash are aimed at male viewers, while shows like Jane the Virgin are aimed at female viewers (see THR article posted in the Media thread).  [Pause as we think about that statement.]  So I guess we shouldn't be surprised at the focus on costumed superheroes who fight (and all the women in black leather - China White, Huntress, Nyssa, Black Canary 1, Black Canary 2).  It just baffles me that the CW uses their chance to promote Arrow/Flash to television critics and their marketing theme is apparently (given GB's lame excuse)... costumes.

I guess he thinks women don't like action shows and that men don't like women?!

• Love 1

-- Scene of Laurel dragging Sara's body to the Foundry could end up on the S3 DVD.

I'd love to see that, really. Comedy gold, probably. Even in such a dire situation.

(Like the infamous outtake from S1, when SA and KC fell of the bed)

• Love 3

I guess he thinks women don't like action shows and that men don't like women?!

Pedowitz is pretty big supporter of Supernatural which has a pretty big and spendy female audience of all ages and it's filled with action and emotion too. But that show is also a rare bird in its crossover appeal. I think Pedowitz might be spinning for that coveted 18-34 male demo for more advertising revenue. The more I thought about this the more I think that could have behind that largely male panel. I think they know that a female audience still will spend on show stuff and buy dvds. But they still want that other demo.

Edited by catrox14

From Guggenheim's tumblr Q&A, I get the sense that we'll be seeing Diggle's brother in a flashback.  With this show, though, who knows, maybe Andy isn't actually dead and he'll show up in present day.  Not looking forward to more Felicity/Laurel scenes.  I'm hoping Guggenheim really means "Laurel stands in the background like a powered-down robot while Team Arrow holds a meeting" or something similar. 

Edited by SonofaBiscuit
  • Love 2

Emily is an extremely talented actress, but I suspect that we could write a scene where she molests a kitten before setting it on fire and she’d still come off likable.  That’s her super power.

Lol Guggenheim.

• Love 1

I'm more hopeful towards Diggle's storyline. I want to meet his brother and I want to see Deadshot again.

Meh on Laurel and Felicity scenes. Has anyone asked about Felicity/Thea or Felicity/Diggle? Or even Felicity herself?

His response to that Felicity question reminded me of Smallville and how they gave Chloe some crappy storylines (even ones that should have turned the audience against her i.e. spying on Clark for a newspaper column) and fans still loved her.

• Love 1

I'm expecting the AC/DC in the soundtrack to go with it for real.

The CW can't afford AC/DC, I'm sure.

As for trying to appeal to male audiences, then yeah, having hot women there is an advantage, not a disadvantage. I don't know many guys who would look at the cast of a show and say, 'oh man, total sausage fest! I'm watching that!' Katie Cassidy? Eh, I guess some people find her attractive, I really don't.

EBR, Caity Lotz, Katrina Law and Willa Holland? Yeah, all hot.

That is true about looking at hot women) AND women looking at hot men. That will only carry these two shows so far and even a show like SPN. There has to be more than just pretty faces. Maybe they just decided in a really wrong headed way to convince possible advertisers that "we know it seems like the CW is all about romance but look here are some guys that you can try and identify with and/or fantasize being and/or have mancrushes on, etc."

(edited)
The CW can't afford AC/DC, I'm sure.

Sure they can, Supernatural has played AC/DC music in several episodes, including Black in Black once Baby was resurrected 

As for trying to appeal to male audiences, then yeah, having hot women there is an advantage, not a disadvantage. I don't know many guys who would look at the cast of a show and say, 'oh man, total sausage fest! I'm watching that!' Katie Cassidy? Eh, I guess some people find her attractive, I really don't.

Not to mentioned that The Secret Origin of Felicity Smoke scored the highest 18-34M demo since 212/Tremors (obviously before the crossover).  So yeah, I'm not sure what data the CW has (assuming that's why they set up the TCA panel in that manner) but the published ratings information seems to contradict the idea that boys would want to watch a show with only men dressed in costumes.  

In fact, unless something has changed recently SPN's audience is almost evenly split between male/female viewers and that's two hot guys...so maybe Arrow/Flash wanted to increase their females viewers.  Arrow actually does skew young/make so maybe they want more women to balance it out like SPN?  I can only assume that's what the shirtless men of arrow ads were about last year.

Meh on Laurel and Felicity scenes. Has anyone asked about Felicity/Thea or Felicity/Diggle? Or even Felicity herself?

We've already been told that there will be quite a few Felicity/Thea scenes and we're supposed to get more Felicity/Diggle scenes in 310. Lauren Brown also has TCA information about Felicity's story arc that she's writing up, no idea when she'll post it.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1

This is an interesting theory posted on Tumblr:

"We've seen the Lazarus pit but Oliver doesn't us it". I've had this theory running since he died. I'm a batman fan and Ra's is my favorite villain, so I know how the Lazarus works. So right at the end of the fight, Oliver seems to have the upper hand and swings but Ra's catches the blade with his bare hands and bleeds on the blade. If the Lazarus runs through his blood, which was on the blade Oliver was stabbed by, it could keep him alive. Anyway, 

http://jbuffyangel.tumblr.com/post/107993774228/weve-seen-the-lazarus-pit-but-oliver-doesnt-us

• Love 5

I am also super worried, yet disgustingly sure that 90% of felicity's "Oliver is dead" screen time will be with crazy eyes. This does not please me.

Yeah, I don't know how it's actually going to feel on the show, but what's bothering me about the talk about 3B is that anytime MG or others offer anything up about Felicity/Diggle, it's always actually about someone else. There's always a "but" involved. So someone asks if F/D will have scenes together, and Marc says "yes" but ALSO DID YOU KNOW that Dig has an epic scene with Laurel??? Which leads me to feel like the F/D scenes will be disappointing, because if they were good, I'd think Marc would be excited about them and make sure people knew they were coming.

I have no doubt we will see a lot of both F & D in these episodes, but I'm not at all sure I'll be happy with the substance of those scenes. It feels like it could be quantity over quality. Lots of Felicity because she's needed in scenes with Ray (and the team, of course because no one else can do her job). We might get a lot of Diggle because he's wearing the hood and leading the team (this is one of two things I'm interested in about 310-312; the other is Thea/Felicity), and because someone has to try to make Laurel likable. Instead, we're spending this time building up anywhere from two to four other heroes, because that's what matters now, and that's the function Felicity and Diggle serve on the show apparently.

Oh man, I am cranky today and need to chill. The good news is that my expectations are in the basement for 310-312, so anything good that happens at all will feel extra great and maybe I'll even end up liking those episodes in a roundabout way.

• Love 6

Is she gonna be on hand to watch baby Sara during the Dyla nuptials? Then have to, I don't know, file a police report for some reason or another and have a meet cute with one Quentin Lance? He needs some, bless him.

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 8

3.18 would be the perfect time for Felicity to be longing for some motherly advice about her messed up love life.  Some kind of push back in the right direction perhaps?

And of course the Quentin/Donna meet cute.  I need this. 

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 4

"My sweet baby girl, when you said you're dating a billionaire, I hoped you mean the other one!"

(OK, I know Oliver is technically not a billionaire anymore, but... semantics)

• Love 2

3.18 would be the perfect time for Felicity to be longing for some motherly advice about her messed up love life.  Some kind of push back in the right direction perhaps?

For no particular reason, this was what I was thinking as well.  Donna will be there to give Felicity some sort of pep-talk probably involving Felicity's dad leaving them, and maybe this will push Felicity towards Oliver.  Please!

Is she gonna be on hand to watch baby Sara during the Dyla nuptials? Then have to, I don't know, file a police report for some reason or another and have a meet cute with one Quentin Lance? He needs some, bless him.

Maybe Quentin can attend the wedding for some random reason (not as Laurel's plus one because she's not invited), and Donna will meet him there.

Edited by SonofaBiscuit
  • Love 1

I absolutely need Mama Smoak and Quentin to meet. And interact. And date. And marry. But I'll settle for meeting right now. 

This is the first spoiler I've been excited about in weeks.

• Love 10

Maybe Quentin can attend the wedding for some random reason (not as Laurel's plus one because she's not invited), and Donna will meet him there.

Hopefully he knows his daughter's dead by then, otherwise explaining Diggle Jr.'s name will be awwwwkward (still hoping that when Laurel finally goes to tell Quentin Sara's dead that she goes in for a hug and right as she's about to tell him he's all "Sara!" because she's standing in the doorway, Lazarus Pitted and alive. Shhhh, let me have it)

• Love 5

Since they like to start setting up the next season story arcs in the previous season, I can see some of a Season 4 Felicity's Dad reveal being set up in this episode. God know we need to develop a storyline about her and not about propping other wannabe vigilantes up.

Plus a gentle nudge towards Oliver.

Donna and Felicity actually pull off the screwball comedy vibe that they keep telling us Ray is doing.

Also I really loved her interaction with Team Arrow and can't wait to see more.

• Love 4

Donna can have her purse stolen while exiting an airport and waving for a taxi. Then she just ends up at the only police station in Starling City and meets a handsome captain. Then, when she's talking about all this to her daughter over chinese... the daughter already knows which captain Donna is talking about...

"Mum... You were NOT hitting on captain Lance!"

"No, but he was hitting on me! He's really cute. Is he single?"

• Love 9

Yeah, I don't know how it's actually going to feel on the show, but what's bothering me about the talk about 3B is that anytime MG or others offer anything up about Felicity/Diggle, it's always actually about someone else. There's always a "but" involved. So someone asks if F/D will have scenes together, and Marc says "yes" but ALSO DID YOU KNOW that Dig has an epic scene with Laurel??? Which leads me to feel like the F/D scenes will be disappointing, because if they were good, I'd think Marc would be excited about them and make sure people knew they were coming.

I think he does that because people always ask the same thing, about Oliver/Felicity, about Felicity/Diggle, maybe about Laurel and Oliver.  This is a way of being able to extend what he spoils.

Donna and Felicity actually pull off the screwball comedy vibe that they keep telling us Ray is doing.

Also I really loved her interaction with Team Arrow and can't wait to see more.

Yeah, they really do. I'm hoping for some lightness again as they set up the big finale stuff.

I want Donna and Quentin to meet over police business and then Quentin figure out she's Felicity's mother and go :"Wow".

• Love 2

Donna can have her purse stolen while exiting an airport and waving for a taxi. Then she just ends up at the only police station in Starling City and meets a handsome captain. Then, when she's talking about all this to her daughter over chinese... the daughter already knows which captain Donna is talking about...

"Mum... You were NOT hitting on captain Lance!"

"No, but he was hitting on me! He's really cute. Is he single?"

You just wrote a perfect fanfic synopsis. I suggest you turn it into a Drabble.

• Love 1

Really excited to hear about Mama Smoak coming back it's one of the only spoilers that has gotten me excited for this show in months.

Unfortunately, I'll never be a Mama Smoak and Quentin fan just because it would give Laurel one more foot hold in a story that I can currently enjoy Laurel free. I would rather sign up for an unnecessary root canal than sit through a Laurel and Felicity bonding through a relationship their parents have storyline but I'm always happy to have her back for Felicity growth and humor.

• Love 5

Really excited to hear about Mama Smoak coming back it's one of the only spoilers that has gotten me excited for this show in months.

Unfortunately, I'll never be a Mama Smoak and Quentin fan just because it would give Laurel one more foot hold in a story that I can currently enjoy Laurel free. I would rather sign up for an unnecessary root canal than sit through a Laurel and Felicity bonding through a relationship their parents have storyline but I'm always happy to have her back for Felicity growth and humor.

Yeah, I'll never be on board with Mama Smoak and Quentin. There's just too many icky vibes for me after all the sister swapping. I'd rather have Mama Smoak's appearances to be about Felicity and Felicity's backstory and have nothing to do with any of the Lances at all (unless it's Donna bringing Sara back from the dead).

• Love 4

I like Mama Smoak and while I'm not in favor of extending her into another storyline for Laurel, she's limited in what she can do in Felicity's storyline.  I can't think of anything interesting for her to do other than give Felicity advice on Oliver and that's only going to interest even me for about two minutes.

There's a lot of room for comic gold with Quentin, though.  And it would give the poor man something to do beyond prop Laurel's ascension.

I'm normally a rather pessimistic person, but I read SA's statement as encouraging. I loved what he said about Laurel and Sara. About both of those relationships relying heavily on who he was in the past (I agree with Laurel, less so with Sara because of what she experienced). I feel it was his way of acknowledging that Oliver would be taking a step back by being with Laurel. And then he spoke of the progress Oliver has made, he contributed a lot of the Felicity. I think that's indication that SA believes Oliver grows with Felicity. 

I thought that was amazingly encouraging.  "Oliver had relationships with both Laurel and Sara in the past but he's not that Oliver any more.  It's in the past. He's a different man because of who he's become through knowing Felicity."

That' pretty much says it on the line as much as anyone can.  All bets are off season 5+ but it seems pretty clear for now.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 1

I like Mama Smoak and while I'm not in favor of extending her into another storyline for Laurel, she's limited in what she can do in Felicity's storyline.  I can't think of anything interesting for her to do other than give Felicity advice on Oliver and that's only going to interest even me for about two minutes.

How is she limited in Felicity's storyline? She's the connection to Felicity's dad whom we know nothing about. She provides insight into Felicity's backstory. That's what I want her return to be about. I want Felicity to have something of her own and not have to share her parent with the Lance family drama.

• Love 1

I don't think they're going to do anything about Felicity's dad this season, there's too much going on and if he is a major player, he'll need more time than they have left in the season.  Donna returns in ep 18 and they'll be setting up the finale after that.  And once she's told Felicity who her dad is, what is there for her to do?

I don't think they're going to do anything about Felicity's dad this season, there's too much going on and if he is a major player, he'll need more time than they have left in the season.  Donna returns in ep 18 and they'll be setting up the finale after that.  And once she's told Felicity who her dad is, what is there for her to do?

Well, I would hope that the writers can come up with something to do with Mama Smoak and Felicity that doesn't turn into a romantic relationship between Quentin and Donna. It's just one episode. I just don't like the idea of Donna/Quentin at all. As to whether or not we find out who Felicity's father is or get any hints to who her father is, to me, there would still be a whole lot of story there for Donna after a reveal.

• Love 5

Just for me personally, I would rather Felicity have someone who is just about her. Laurel has Alex Kingston for herself and the way the story has been this year Quentin. Digg has Layla and Digglette, Oliver has/had Moira and Thea, Sara had Sin. Getting Mama Smoak in a relationship with Quentin takes away from her being Felicity's person.  All of those people serve plot when they need to but their primary focus is on one character and that's what I want for Felicity.

I agree that Felicity's Dad won't come into the picture until Season 4 and that will give her a lot of story potential (finding out about Team Arrow and what Felicity is doing, giving insight into her father, etc) By the time the end of Season 4 rolls around who knows where in the story we will be, Quentin could be dead (which I think is coming because of all the anvils being dropped both in show and in the 2.5 comics) Laurel could be on a bus to another city, etc.

• Love 8

Guess I'll watch 318, unless it turns out to be a trick episode. Also add me to the list that prefers Donna remains focused on Felicity at least for another episode. IMO, Felicity's world/relationships need to grow before they should be shared with other characters.

• Love 3

Okay, I can buy that Felicity needs someone who is just her own other than Ray (cough, cough) although Roy doesn't have anyone, and Quentin has a fair bit with Oliver and the occasional phone call with Felicity.

But other than giving Felicity advice on her relationship with Oliver, which I think would get boring fast, what is there for Donna to do?  They've already done going gaga over baby Sara.

• Love 1

Okay, I can buy that Felicity needs someone who is just her own other than Ray (cough, cough) although Roy doesn't have anyone, and Quentin has a fair bit with Oliver and the occasional phone call with Felicity.

But other than giving Felicity advice on her relationship with Oliver, which I think would get boring fast, what is there for Donna to do? They've already done going gaga over baby Sara.

I loved Donna and am happy she is returning but you are kinda right now that I think about it. She doesn't really have relevance to the plot. But It's not like she is in many episodes. I'm sure episode 18 will her only other episode this season. So its not like she taking up TOO much screen time.

Orion, sin wasn't really just about Sara since she was also good friends with Roy and Thea and Thea and Moira weren't just about Oliver so I don't mind a Quentin/Donna relationship at all.

Edited by ban1o
  • Love 1

Just for me personally, I would rather Felicity have someone who is just about her. Laurel has Alex Kingston for herself and the way the story has been this year Quentin. Digg has Layla and Digglette, Oliver has/had Moira and Thea, Sara had Sin. Getting Mama Smoak in a relationship with Quentin takes away from her being Felicity's person.  All of those people serve plot when they need to but their primary focus is on one character and that's what I want for Felicity.

Me, I want to co-opt Quentin for Felicity. (I also want to do the same with Thea)   He's already an admirer.  I want more scenes with him and Felicity and I think tying him into her mother would help that.  Mama Smoak is likely only ever going to be (at best) a rare, reoccurring character.  All I need is some sparkly eyes exchanged and maybe a casually dropped line sometime in the future that Lance was on vacation.  Now preferably, Vegas, but I'll take any vague hints. 

A Quentin/Donna connection would merely provide more reasons for her to be in town.  I'd still expect most of her scenes to be about interacting with her daughter.  Like it is now with Dinah.  She shared an opening scene with Quentin, but then hangs with Laurel.  Donna would still be Felicity's person but she also would have something filling up her off screen time that's better than just waiting around for Felicity to be free again. 

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 5

We don't even know what the episode is about, do we? I don't think we can really discuss why Mama Smoak is there until we have some sort of spoilers other than she's going to appear. I just think it's weird that people think of Donna as having nothing to offer Felicity other than love advice and/or be the love interest to Quentin.

• Love 1