Type keyword(s) to search

Spoiler Discussion Thread

Morrigan2575
  • Start Topic

I'm kind of looking forward to Hong Kong flashbacks because it's a new setting with new characters. I agree that showing how characters evolved is interesting, especially in Oliver's case. I liked the S1 flashbacks, even early S2 on the island, but some of the island flashbacks started to feel like filler by mid and late S2. One of the EPs (I forget which one) said sometimes they got stuck in the flashbacks because they couldn't move forward to the next big point yet, and this is the kind of thing I want them to avoid in S3. If they don't have any real character points, plot points, or something significant to reveal in Hong Kong, then use the flashbacks for someone else or have an episode fully devoted to the present. Use the flashbacks with purpose so viewers don't get tired of them. I'm curious about Sara's time with the LoA so I wouldn't mind that flashback. The Lance drama got a bit heavy for me mid-S2, but I was interested in the dynamic between the sisters up to a point. It just wasn't executed well. Ray Palmer, eh - he's not my favorite comic character so my interest in him is so far minimal. That's the main reason I don't care to see his flashbacks. I'd rather that time be spent on other main characters I'm still waiting for information on like Felicity and Roy and even Thea's time with Malcolm - that could be an interesting flashback. Apparently we're getting a Thea flashback in ep. 3, so maybe it involves Malcolm.

• Love 2

I'm kind of looking forward to Hong Kong flashbacks because it's a new setting with new characters. I agree that showing how characters evolved is interesting, especially in Oliver's case. I liked the S1 flashbacks, even early S2 on the island, but some of the island flashbacks started to feel like filler by mid and late S2. One of the EPs (I forget which one) said sometimes they got stuck in the flashbacks because they couldn't move forward to the next big point yet, and this is the kind of thing I want them to avoid in S3. If they don't have any real character points, plot points, or something significant to reveal in Hong Kong, then use the flashbacks for someone else or have an episode fully devoted to the present. Use the flashbacks with purpose so viewers don't get tired of them. I'm curious about Sara's time with the LoA so I wouldn't mind that flashback. The Lance drama got a bit heavy for me mid-S2, but I was interested in the dynamic between the sisters up to a point. It just wasn't executed well. Ray Palmer, eh - he's not my favorite comic character so my interest in him is so far minimal. That's the main reason I don't care to see his flashbacks. I'd rather that time be spent on other main characters I'm still waiting for information on like Felicity and Roy and even Thea's time with Malcolm - that could be an interesting flashback. Apparently we're getting a Thea flashback in ep. 3, so maybe it involves Malcolm.

I think the Thea-malcolm flashback we'll be getting in 3x03 is the limousine flashback we were promised.

• Love 1

I honestly don't see how Olicity will take over the show. People were saying that last season and their moments were barely a few minutes per episode, if that at times. There were a few mid season episodes where Felicity (and Digg) barely featured much at all. Olicity is just ONE part of the show. Oliver is going to have lots to deal with this season - moments with Thea and Merlyn, problems with Digg, Ray, his mentor status with Roy and his business partnership with Laurel. There's also Sara to consider. Olicity will feature but it doesn't mean it takes precedence. Just because we've had more spoilers for their date doesn't mean that's all that's happening. I'm kind of sick of reading that. Fair enough if you don't like them but lets be realistic here. 

As for the discussion on flashbacks, I used to really enjoy them but I found a lot of them during s2 were pretty much filler. I think they could have been condensed a lot. I'm hoping the Hong Kong flashbacks with a new setting will provide a breath of life into that storytelling method.

Edited by Angel12d
  • Love 8

I'm looking forward to the Hong Kong flashbacks, new characters and a change in Oliver (for the darker) but I don't need nor want flashbacks in every episode. I think they need to be used sparingly, because I feel they break the momentum of the present day story.

Im also looking forward to Felicity flashbacks to MIT and I really want to see Sara's time with the LoA even if it's just something brief tied the Ra's story line. I'd really love some Malcolm/Tommy and Tommy/Thea flashbacks...as much Tommy as I can get if I had my way.

I'm undecided on the possible Ray flashbacks, it really depends on what they do with the character and if I like him.

• Love 4

Also we haven't seen Roy's flashbacks and there are tons of possibilities with his back story. We know that a character from his past is coming this Season so hopefully that will lead to his flashbacks of some sort. My take is that Chesire will be coming back in Roy's life, now that we know that he will be getting a new love interest.

Where did you read that Roy was getting a new love interest? I really like the Cheshire character in the comics. 

Edited by ban1o

Wait. This is the first I've heard about flashbacks for Ray. What for?! He might be in 16 episodes (I'd guess a few episodes he only features for a few minutes at a time) but he's not a season regular so why is he being given flashbacks? Nope. Not interested.

• Love 1

I am most interested in Hong Kong and Felicity flashbacks, probably because they add an element to the show which would be novel. I have a feeling that I would like Maseo and Katana characters and Felicity is my favorite character on the show and I just cannot get enough of her so any flashback with her would be amazing.

As far as Lance family is concerned, we have had far too much Lance family drama last season, both in present and flashbacks, and I would be grateful if we are not subjected to any flashbacks involving any member of Lance family, because that would be meh!

• Love 2

Wait. This is the first I've heard about flashbacks for Ray. What for?! He might be in 16 episodes (I'd guess a few episodes he only features for a few minutes at a time) but he's not a season regular so why is he being given flashbacks? Nope. Not interested.

Nothing is specifically written but one of the producers (I can't keep track of the interviews anymore) said they'd be open to doing a flashback to tell parts of Ray's story that might impact why he's doing what he's doing now.  To me it just sounds like background stuff to support his current storyline. 

Thea's flashbacks don't seem to be anything more than jumping back to when we last saw her, taking care of the problem of the real time hiatus. 

I'm curious about what Oliver was doing in Hong Kong.  In season two, we kind of knew everything before we saw it on the island.  Hong Kong is mostly a mystery. 

Where did you read that Roy was getting a new love interest?

I think in some of Colton's interview, he has mentioned it. And the only love interest that would be interesting and tie in with the comics will be Chesire.

I would like to see more of Sara's flashbacks with her rescue and joining the LOA because they can explore Ra's and his family through Sara's flashbacks just like they built Slade through Oliver's. And it ties in with the story that the EPs are trying to tell this Season because we need a well fleshed out Ra's just like they worked on Slade's journey.

I remember a recent Marc Guggenheim's interview where he had said that one of the reasons why Season 2 was much better than Season 1 was because they made a conscious decision that if a character was not required in a particular episode from a story point of view then they would not try to cram that character in that episode and they will continue doing so in Season 3. I think this is why we saw little of Laurel, Moira, Thea, Diggle and Felicity in some parts in the second season because they were not important to the story, especially the second half.

And I think this is why they are giving Diggle and Felicity and Laurel and Thea other roles in this season (Diggle with Argus and Felicity with Ray and Thea with Merlyn) so that they are more connected with the story that they are trying to tell in this third Season and that they might not be sidelined this season too.

Edited by abhi
  • Love 1

Another pic of EBR in her Felicity outfit for that Flash crossover episode:

Kai Yu Wu

‏@chinoiskai
.@EmilyBett blows kisses to the @FLASHtvwriters and #TheFlash fans! We're going to steal her from you, @ARROWwriters! pic.twitter.com/8qMbtbdEVe

Buo39xZCIAAMA0e.jpg

ArrowWritersRoom ‏@ARROWwriters  12h
@chinoiskai @EmilyBett @FLASHtvwriters Those are fighting words! #youcanthaveher

https://twitter.com/chinoiskai/status/498272243789463554/photo/1

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3

I think in some of Colton's interview, he has mentioned it. And the only love interest that would be interesting and tie in with the comics will be Chesire.

Your mentioning Cheshire made me think about how the whole Thea being Merlyn's daughter thing -- it reminds me of Sportsmaster and his daughters. I wouldn't be surprised if they're going with a Thea = Artemis [instead of Speedy] motif. The daughter of evil folks who was evil for a while there before Oliver took her under his wing and she became a hero. Though then I don't know how Jade/Cheshire would fit the story, unless Malcolm has another secret daughter we don't know about.

Anyway, I'd be SUPER COOL if the comics love interest they bring in for Roy is Donna Troy, because Teen Titans OTP 4ever.

I don't think this has been posted yet...

SDCC 2014: Arrow’s Colton Haynes Talks Roy/Thea Relationship, Easter Eggs and More

http://www.tvovermind.com/arrow/sdcc-2014-arrows-colton-haynes-talks-roythea-relationship-easter-eggs-237711

TVO: Are we going to see any more hints towards some of the major comic events that Roy has gone through, like losing an arm or getting a baby?

Haynes: I have asked some of that to Marc [Guggenheim], Andrew [Kreisberg], about the drug addiction aspect, the Cheshire character and the losing an arm part. I don’t think we are going to see him losing an arm in at least the next few seasons, definitely because it’s probably a little bit too difficult, but I can say that are going to be some people from Roy’s past coming that everyone will know in the comic world.
Edited by tv echo

SDCC 2014: Arrow’s Colton Haynes Talks Roy/Thea Relationship, Easter Eggs and More

http://www.tvovermind.com/arrow/sdcc-2014-arrows-colton-haynes-talks-roythea-relationship-easter-eggs-237711

Why don't they give Sara a baby and Ray a baby why they are at it, maybe Helena has one too. Everyone can have a baby. Have tv writers not learned that babies don't make shows better? I hope out of be like the comics those are not the storylines they are not choosing to follow. I'm already dreading Oliver's baby storyline as well as Diggle's. It just seems completely unnecessary for the show. Oliver already has daddy issues, focus on that and on who put the hit on Dig's brother. You don't need babies for that. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 2

That would be cool if they brought Cheshire. I wonder how they would introduce her. I know some people on other forums thought that Thea was becoming Cheshire, which I really, really hope isn't the case. If it's not Cheshire he's talking about I really wonder what characters he's referring too. 

Edited by ban1o

Why don't they give Sara a baby and Ray a baby why they are at it, maybe Helena has one too. Everyone can have a baby. Have tv writers not learned that babies don't make shows better? I hope out of be like the comics those are not the storylines they are not choosing to follow. I'm already dreading Oliver's baby storyline as well as Diggle's. It just seems completely unnecessary for the show. Oliver already has daddy issues, focus on that and on who put the hit on Dig's brother. You don't need babies for that. 

I don't think you meant to quote the CH interview but I kinda agree with the baby story lines. It seems too soap opera-ish for me. I know Oliver has a son in the comics but it kinda bugs me. Like what will a 6 year old kid add to the story? And love child storylines in other tv shows I watch always turn out badly. Same with Diggle. I don't see the point of him having a baby besides to add drama. But I guess that's the point. 

Edited by ban1o

Because they gave Diggle a baby for no reason, introduced Oliver's kid when that's the not something that was needed. The two kids they are introducing are pointless (unless they plan on making a Connor Hawke show). So I didn't like hearing from Colton that they discussed Roy's kid storyline from the comics. Cheshire is Roy's baby mama.

Edited by Sakura12

Because they gave Diggle a baby for no reason, introduced Oliver's kid when that's the not something that was needed. The two kids they are introducing are pointless (unless they plan on making a Connor Hawke show). So I didn't like hearing from Colton that they discussed Roy's kid storyline from the comics.

Oh ok. Well the interview was the one who mentioned the baby not Colton. I really doubt Roy will get a kid. He's like 19. lol

Edited by ban1o

Because they gave Diggle a baby for no reason, introduced Oliver's kid when that's the not something that was needed. The two kids they are introducing are pointless (unless they plan on making a Connor Hawke show). So I didn't like hearing from Colton that they discussed Roy's kid storyline from the comics. Cheshire is Roy's baby mama.

Okiedokes.

They had no reason to give Diggle a baby, and they did. So I'm not confident that if Cheshire is coming in that they will also give Roy a kid.

I'm just hoping the stupid Diggle baby storyline doesn't take him away from the action and I have no desire to see Oliver's baby mama drama. They should've left kids out of the show, usually that's something that's added in the final season when we don't have to actually see the kids. Since I don't care about Olicity, more Laurel and babies are big turnoffs for me, So I can only hope they do right by the villains this time (Isabel, Blood and Slade were huge disappointments). 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 1

I don't like the baby storylines either. I didn't want Digg to have a baby and I certainly don't want Oliver's storyline dragged down by finding out he's got a six year old somewhere. I just think it's unnecessary right now. Maybe in s4 or s5 but not now. I'm crossing my fingers that Digg's baby isn't something that will change how Digg behaves. I feel like maybe Digg will just continue to be the same and he won't have any issues with it and it's going to be like a mirror to Oliver who feels like he can't have a love life or a family because of the life he leads. I can see some comparisons happening. How Digg handles fatherhood and a family will probably help Oliver in seeing he can eventually have the same. I just wish they weren't doing it this season.

Edited by Angel12d

Today. 4:45 pm

They had no reason to give Diggle a baby, and they did. So I'm not confident that if Cheshire is coming in that they will also give Roy a kid.

Of any of the characters, Diggle is the one that makes most sense to be having a child.  He's relationship isn't perfect but it's a long term loving one and both he and Lyla are of an age to start thinking about having children.  I don't think it's something either would have sat down and planned but neither seemed upset about the surprise.  In some ways Dig has had it too easy.  There has been no real conflict in his life as to pursuing his work with the Arrow.  I think having a child creates legitimate questions and real conflicts. 

Let's be honest, the kid isn't going to be in most episodes.  Probably very few once the story telling angle is served but I still enjoy that Dig has a life of his own and I think he'd make a great dad.  Plus since they pulled the baby mama drama lever with Oliver, giving Dig a kid makes Oliver's storyline more manageable (even if it's not preferable) 

I can't see them going the same direction with Roy.  In the comics there is no Thea so automatically sending him to Chesire's arms is not nearly as likely.  Oh, she might show up cause we know this show loves its triangle but I'd expect Thea to win in the long run and an oops baby by that point would be sooo repetitive, I can't see them going there again. 

• Love 4

Of any of the characters, Diggle is the one that makes most sense to be having a child.  He's relationship isn't perfect but it's a long term loving one and both he and Lyla are of an age to start thinking about having children. 

Even more than the Oliver as a father reveal, Diggle having a Digglet on the way makes sense to me because he's at a more mature, stable part of his life. I don't mind the storyline because there's always room for growth with any character, even one as awesome as Diggle. The question of starting a family would've eventually reared its head between Diggle and Lyla because, even though they're dealing with life and death situations, they're a normal couple. Now he just has to go through answering all those questions of whether or not he can be a daddy and family man whilst doing Arrow work, with a baby already there.

The only strange thing about it was The Wall bringing it up in the finale, kind of just thrown in there as a throwaway line. "Oops we forgot to mention that..."

• Love 4

The only strange thing about it was The Wall bringing it up in the finale, kind of just thrown in there as a throwaway line. "Oops we forgot to mention that..."

I hope they don't continue the trend of having gossipy bad guys this year, The Count goes to Roy and tells him Thea has a new boyfriend.  Ra's calls Felicity up and tells her Barry Allen is the Flash.

• Love 5

Another thing that Diggle having a baby does is emphasize that Oliver is not the oldest, wisest member of the show, because with Oliver giving the orders, it can seem that way.

Diggle used to give Oliver advice on strategic tactics and on how not to get hurt when you're being a soldier/vigilante.  After two years, Oliver's kind of internalized that so Diggle being in a steady relationship and having a child is going to givce him something else he can help Oliver move toward.

I thought it was a good way to drop it in -- stay tuned for next season! -- without having it slow down or distract from the big storyline.

• Love 1

I hope they don't continue the trend of having gossipy bad guys this year, The Count goes to Roy and tells him Thea has a new boyfriend.  Ra's calls Felicity up and tells her Barry Allen is the Flash.

haha

I don't care if they are the right age, I don't want to see babies or kids on a super hero show or any show that isn't about kids. They are not necessary. 

I never thought Oliver was older or wiser than Diggle, so why does that matter? It's Oliver's mission so he's the leader. I don't need to see everyone have children to show growth. There are plenty of storylines they could tell without adding kids. 

That shows me they don't have any idea with what to do with Felicity or Diggle, they were sidelined for that not because of Sara. They had a storyline for her so she got to be there. They are floundering with Felicity and Diggle. Dig more than that Felicity because he doesn't get to be part of massive shipping fanbase and have shipper scenes. They gave him a kid so he can have something else to do, when they could just have kept going with Argus, Hive and his brothers death. All of which are 100x more interesting than babies on tv. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 5

Teen Titans 

Bringing Teen Titans characters would be awesome. But that would probably be a little convoluted for a show that's supposed to be focussing on Oliver. Maybe a few teen titans characters could guest star in an episode. 

Edited by ban1o

It seems like more poor plotting. I appreciate that the EPs and writers are fanboys/girls, but I think they're so excited to play around with their favorite characters they keep cramming more and more in instead of creating a logical plot line and sticking to it. And they don't want to wait because they're afraid of getting canceled. Hence, we get Connor Hawke, cuz he's cool, and maybe Teen Titans, and Ray Palmer and random villains (like Shrapnel and Bronze Tiger) who don't do much or make much of an impression. 

Along with retcons and confusing/nonsensical character motivations. It's been a consistent problem with this show (a horrible Ravager, Deathstroke, Blood, etc.) and sadly, I don't see that changing this season.

Edited by calliope1975
  • Love 7

It seems like more poor plotting. I appreciate that the EPs and writers are fanboys/girls, but I think they're so excited to play around with their favorite characters they keep cramming more and more in instead of creating a logical plot line and sticking to it. And they don't want to wait because they're afraid of getting canceled. Hence, we get Connor Hawke, cuz he's cool, and maybe Teen Titans, and Ray Palmer and random villains (like Shrapnel and Bronze Tiger) who doesn't do much or make much of an impression. 

Along with retcons and confusing/nonsensical character motivations. It's been a consistent problem with this show (a horrible Ravager, Deathstroke, Blood, etc.) and sadly, I don't see that changing this season.

Yeah I agree I think the show is afraid of getting cancelled or ending early. so they rush all the plot points and introducing a lot of major villains in a really non-memorable way. For example I thought they introduced Roy Harper way to soon. Why introduce a possible sidekick before the hero is fully established? Same with Deathstroke. Deathstroke is a major villain but his introduction was rushed and his motivations were really sloppy. Although Manu Bennet did a great job, I felt it was to soon.  Brother Blood is a great villain that I feel the EP's really wanted to have but they didn't do such a great job with him. They're bringing Ras Al Ghul really early. Now the Connor Hawke thing is being introduced because it was a huge plot in the comics and the EP's felt the need to introduce it even though it is really not needed now.  The EP's seems like such huge comic geeks, which is great, but I feel like because of that they are plotting everything really soon. 

Edited by ban1o
  • Love 1
Yeah I agree I think the show is afraid of getting cancelled or ending early. so they rush all the plot points and introducing a lot of major villains in a really non-memorable way. For example I thought they introduced Roy Harper way to soon. Why introduce a possible sidekick before the hero is fully established? Same with Deathstroke. Deathstroke is a major villain but his introduction was rushed and his motivations were really sloppy. Although Manu Bennet did a great job, I felt it was to soon.  Brother Blood is a great villain that I feel the EP's really wanted to have but they didn't do such a great job with him. They're bringing Ras Al Ghul really early. Now the Connor Hawke thing is being introduced because it was a huge plot in the comics and the EP's felt the need to introduce it even though it is really not needed now.  The EP's seems like such huge comic geeks, which is great, but I feel like because of that they are plotting everything really soon.

I have to agree. Malcolm was great. Blood would have been the perfect villain for season two. Which is what it looked like they were doing until all of a sudden they seemed to switch gears and half assed Deathstroke's story instead of having him be the looming threat of season 3. And no way should they be bringing in a big bad like Ra's al Ghul this early. Roy being around is fine as Thea's boyfriend but he's already on the team and fighting with the Arrow? I thought season one was great because they told their story at a good pace, divided time between Starling and the island well, and it was coherent. I don't know what happened with season two considering it started out so well.

Edited by KirkB
  • Love 2

The problem was they were given access to more DC characters so they threw everyone they got into the pot when it wasn't necessary to do so. That doesn't appear to be changing this season since we already know about Ray Palmer, Ra's al Ghul, Vertigo 2.0 and Manhunter, after just 3 episodes. I'm guessing Vertigo 2.0 and Manhunter are going to be just for show, meaning barely a character and whether Ray and Ra's are going to be another mishandled Slade, Isabel, Blood type character or a Merlyn type character is yet to be determined.

Bringing Teen Titans characters would be awesome. But that would probably be a little convoluted for a show that's supposed to be focussing on Oliver. Maybe a few teen titans characters could guest star in an episode. 

Hmm...ok then just Dick Grayson. He needs a proper live action version I think (plus he's my favorite comic book character ever)

Hmm...ok then just Dick Grayson. He needs a proper live action version I think (plus he's my favorite comic book character ever)

Yeah I know a lot of people really want Nightwing. I know Roy and Dick are  best friends in the comics so that could have been who CH was talking about.  And besides those 2 mediocre Batman movies he doesn't really have a live action counterpart.  It would be great if they brought him in but I don't know how possible that is because of his strong association with Batman. Would WB have an  embargo on the character?  

Well they're bringing on Ra's....

also with the Titans, it was funny to me that last season featured two titan villains that Roy had little to no interaction with. 

haha that's so true. Deathstroke and Brother Blood are pretty major teen titan villains and Roy was barely involved with them. He was stuck in his own little mirakuru rage filled world. :P 

Edited by ban1o

naa! i'm sick of male superheros coming in. i know it will never happen but: i want to finally get a live action version of Batwoman/Kate Kane, and they can tie her in to a villein by introducing her twin sister Alice, who is part of some evil league whose name i forgot.

come on show make it happen!!

Edited by foreverevolving

Isn't the mere existence of Gotham plus the upcoming Supes V Batman movie enough to make any Bat associate completely off the market? 

Personally I don't want to find out at the end of the show that Batman has been out there in Gotham doing his thing better and longer than Oliver and without Batman, there can be no Batgirl or Robin or Nightwing. 

• Love 2
Personally I don't want to find out at the end of the show that Batman has been out there in Gotham doing his thing better and longer than Oliver and without Batman, there can be no Batgirl or Robin or Nightwing.

I don't think they'll go as specific as that (even though it's true)