Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E02: JSS

HalcyonDays
  • Start Topic

It's frustrating that Morgan has chosen now to embrace pacifism, but I'm not quite ready to crucify him just yet. I think there's been a general assumption that because he didn't show up ranting about needing people to clear that he was all better now and as sane as anyone. But we don't really know that. He may have over corrected as Carol once did or he may be unraveling in an entirely opposite direction from what Rick is prone to do. It's just to early yet to know where this is going. This may very well be Morgan's machete with the red handle moment where he has to come to understand that the more merciful option can also have dire consequences.

I agree. I think Morgan still needs to find his center - or what passes for a center in the ZA. Meeting that wolf who he let go back in the woods really shook up his new world view. Hearing the wolf say "You can't, can you?", you could see the recognition in Morgan's eyes. I think Morgan believes that if he kills again, he's going to revert to the man he was back in "Clear." But … he knows he made a mistake in letting that wolf get his hands on a gun. I think when he left the ASZ, he was going to hunt that guy down.

Lennie James is an exceptional actor. My guess is that he's happy to have a role of such depth and complexity. Morgan is on a journey, and I'm happy to go along for the ride.

• Love 21

Remember kids, smoking is bad. Its gets you hacked to bits by a machete wielding psychopath. 

Man that was a super intense episode. They are going all out with the action this season. 

Carol being all badass "Dont give no freaking fuck" is always a good time. I guess her homemaker cover is officially blown. Carol might be kind of scary, but Alexandria would probably be overrun by the Wold Pack if she hadn't been around. 

I cant say I care all that much about Jessie and Ron and their family struggles. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 6

-  So, there was a live driver, in the semi (before it plowed into the wall)?  If so, how did they do that with a walker right there to bite them??  If not, and remote controlled, not sure I can hand-wave that.  Or are they trying to tell me that the driver was live, but killed by Spencer's shooting, and then was reanimated when Spencer got there?  The last makes most sense, but despite the 'door' being stuck, Spencer didn't take that much time to get to the semi and open the cab door, did he??

It wasn't really clear, but I'm guessing they rigged the walker as a driver, maybe weighed down the accelerator?  I don't think there was an intended target for the semi, just to do damage and create chaos.  Walker was thrown over the the passenger side after the crash.  I kept waiting for the disco zombies to come out of the back of the semi trailer.

• Love 6

It wasn't really clear, but I'm guessing they rigged the walker as a driver, maybe weighed down the accelerator?  I don't think there was an intended target for the semi, just to do damage and create chaos.  Walker was thrown over the the passenger side after the crash.  I kept waiting for the disco zombies to come out of the back of the semi trailer.

I forgot to mention this, but I was waiting for that too.

• Love 3

I don't think Carl's hair is any big deal. I'll take it over that stupid fucking hat, any day.

Honestly, as someone who hates my long hair in my face - in a zombie apocalypse, I'd be chopping my hair off ASAP, or growing it so long that I could just braid it back outta my face. Otherwise, I really don't get how those characters can tolerate hair in their face- even in peaceful mellow times.

• Love 11

Carl's hair is every bit as tragically bad as Daryl's. Maybe after Jessie washes all the blood off her tiny scissors that she so effectively showed that despite what we saw last season can be used as a lethal weapon she could do something about that.

Now, wait a minute.  Carl's hair is CLEAN.  lol  I don't mind his shaggy mop.  I think he looks a little like an anime character.

• Love 5

If Enid hadn't come along and eaten it, hopefully after making some attempt at a clean kill first, I guarantee that turtle would have gone waddling up to the first zombie it saw, begging for whatever its favorite food was.

Not Mr. T, noooooooooo!

Next week, Deanna better get in that truck and guide the horde away to make u for how useless she was this week. If you're not even willing to try what sort of leader are you? Denise showed more guts as did the lady in the armory.

Made Deanna look bad, but I could see her point. Too bad she didn't offer to do something else while not being a liability. The other two ladies were equally scared but at least they had a specific task in front of them that needed to be done. 

• Love 1

Carl has only recently really learned to appreciate clean hair. For a long time, "clean" wasn't an option, and before that, it wasn't even something he thought about. You got showers and haircuts when Lori told you to, and then you broke out the hacksaws for Pancake Day.

• Love 3

At first I was disappointed in Morgan's actions tonight but after another watch I kind of get it.  He's been only responsible for himself for almost 2 years or so.  He's learned a defense system that lets him disable any threats long enough for him to escape so he's permitted himself to believe he doesn't have to kill any living person.  But now he needs to take a long walk in the woods (or otherwise have a good hard think) and realize that what worked for him alone will not work when there is a group of people he's living among who are unable to effectively defend themselves against attacks right now.  Now, going forward, if he wants to take on the task of training all these people to use his methods to avoid killing people, fine, he can take that route.  That idea would be the complete opposite of how Rick and Co have been living so far, so the drama and conflict over that alone could play out over some time.  The other option besides being willing to kill serious threats to the community is probably to leave Alexandria and go on his way by himself, where he will survive or not while staying within the limits he's made for himself.

I don't think Enid is aligned with the wolves but I do think she is still traumatized by her recent past and has even said that the community is not safe, so she isn't getting attached to anyone inside the walls yet.

Liked measuring the length of the fighting using the oven timer.  Dinner is ready! Just as soon as everyone left alive washes up after dealing with the invasion.

Good way to cull a bunch of red shirts. I wonder how many will be left when the zombie herders get back from the highway.  Will we get a census after everyone meets up again.

I think this plays out as the best way to really drive home what Rick and Co have been trying to get Deanna to understand.  That Deanna had to hide in a truck to stay safe should be where she begins to go forward getting what's left of her community on the track of learning some defense skills and teaming up to thwart any threats from outside the fences.   Using a bunch of the townies to help with the quarry walkers was also a good start on showing them how the walkers behave and that there are ways of dealing with them.

I don't understand why the Wolves don't have any guns, if they are running around the outside, gathering up random people and penning them into fenced places and all.  How have they not collected an armory like the Alexandrians?  I hope they show that explanation at some point.

ETA: I hope Carol goes back and gives Lydia the "all clear" now that its over, so she doesn't pop a cap in the first person who goes to slide that door open.

Edited by Glaze Crazy
  • Love 10

I agree. I think Morgan still needs to find his center - or what passes for a center in the ZA. Meeting that wolf who he let go back in the woods really shook up his new world view. Hearing the wolf say "You can't, can you?", you could see the recognition in Morgan's eyes. I think Morgan believes that if he kills again, he's going to revert to the man he was back in "Clear." But … he knows he made a mistake in letting that wolf get his hands on a gun. I think when he left the ASZ, he was going to hunt that guy down.

Lennie James is an exceptional actor. My guess is that he's happy to have a role of such depth and complexity. Morgan is on a journey, and I'm happy to go along for the ride.

I think Morgan's approach can only work if you're on the road constantly moving.   Meaning, he could get away with not killing every predator he ran into as long he kept moving because he likely wouldn't run into them again.  And while it might mean they'll end up preying on someone else, maybe there's also some (remote) possibility they won't, I guess anyway, at least from his point of view.  But if you're going to be stationary, tied to one specific place, you can't really have this "let them live to see another day" mentality.

I just don't see how there's a place for conscientious objector status in this particular war.  Anyway, maybe the town's psychiatrist can help him figure this out.

Edited by Dodginblue
  • Love 10

At least Carl's carefully layered hair is plausible in AFZ because of Jessie.  It's pretty typical teenage boy stuff and hardly drag queeny.  I'll take Carl's clean hair over Daryl's greasetrap any day of the week.  

When Father Pee Pants and Morgan were tying up the Wolf and FPP asked Morgan where he learned how to fight like that, could anyone make out what his reply was?  I played it several times and never could quite understand it.

• Love 2

This actor playing Ron is so painful to watch. That scene with his mom in the kitchen at the start was sooo bad.

For a second I thought I forgot what show I was watching when ninja-Carol showed up.

I lurve that the pasta maker got brought back up. Hilarious!

Poor Aaron :(

I was/am really worried that the new doctor is going to kill herself.

Dear Morgan, I know you were wandering in the woods and perhaps missed the memo, but: FATHER PP DIES IN THE PROCESS!!!!!!! (Did you not read any of my previous specs?)

Edited by morgankobi
  • Love 4

At least Carl's carefully layered hair is plausible in AFZ because of Jessie.  It's pretty typical teenage boy stuff and hardly drag queeny.  I'll take Carl's clean hair over Daryl's greasetrap any day of the week.  

When Father Pee Pants and Morgan were tying up the Wolf and FPP asked Morgan where he learned how to fight like that, could anyone make out what his reply was?  I played it several times and never could quite understand it.

I thought he said "cheese maker".  Which I thought, great,  a cryptic reference to someone who may or may not actually exist outside of Morgan's own mind.  And it tells us nothing.

• Love 4

Carol for ZA President, man! Well, maybe Secretary of Defense, but either way get that lady a medal. Kicking ass and not giving a single f*** about names, all in time to make it back to her casserole for dinner.

That was a true palate cleanser for the boringness of FTWD

• Love 11

So did Carol finish off the kitchen lady because she was noisy or because she was going to die anyway?

I thought she had died from her wounds and then Carol made sure she wouldn't turn.  Or maybe she just passed out and Carol figured close enough.

• Love 6

I thought she had died from her wounds and then Carol made sure she wouldn't turn.  Or maybe she just passed out and Carol figured close enough.

I think she was dying. She was crying and making noise so Carol put her hand over her mouth to quiet her, then killed her because she was dying anyway. Her stomach was split open. I think that did hurt Carol, as did cigarette lady dying. That scene at the beginning with Carol and the others was meant to show, I think, that they were sort of her friends even though she was faking being Mrs. Housewife.

• Love 9

Holy shit. That was grueling and I legit was scared like 4 times.  That was great IMO.

I'm confused about who's backpack that was.

Also, MERRIT WEAVER OMG. I LOVE HER SO MUCH. I'm glad she survived!

Carol is a fucking ninja and it's awesome. 

I didn't breathe through a good 45 minutes. That last scene with Morgan and the unfair wolf legit made me gasp.

Well fucking played, show!!

• Love 5

I understand why Morgan is a pacifist now!

"Blessed are the cheesemakers..."

Agreed. 

"They make everything Cheddar."

"Sweet car.  Thanks, its a Pimiento."

"They go Asiago."

Holy shit. That was grueling and I legit was scared like 4 times.  That was great IMO.

I'm confused about who's backpack that was.

Also, MERRIT WEAVER OMG. I LOVE HER SO MUCH. I'm glad she survived!

Carol is a fucking ninja and it's awesome. 

I didn't breathe through a good 45 minutes. That last scene with Morgan and the unfair wolf legit made me gasp.

Well fucking played, show!!

It was Aaron's.  He lost it when he and Daryl got ambushed by all the walkers from the back of the semis, back in 5.15 Try.

• Love 2

It was Aaron's.  He lost it when he and Daryl got ambushed by all the walkers from the back of the semis, back in 5.15 Try.

Can you remind why he had the pictures?

Must... fight... urge... to make... muensters joke...

I think it's Gouda that you don't...

• Love 8

I do not think Morgan is a weak or apprehensive character at all, nor do I think he's being made to look less than in comparison to other characters. He's getting an accelerated version of Rick's journey over the course of a few episodes.  He was confronted by multiple examples of the notion that you must take out a mortal threat at any opportunity or it will come back to bite you in the ass.  I just don't see those scenes being repeatedly written for him in the course of a single episode being an accident of writing that was actually trying to make him look like a damn fool. Especially when those scenes had a growing build that led to him killing one of the Wolves by the end and not just any random Wolf, but the one he first encountered at his campsite and allowed to live despite the long-winded, pompous freak's attempt to take his life. The other of those two men was among those he allowed to leave, someone who then pointedly retrieved a gun from a dead Alexandrite in front of Morgan.  Unlike the rest of the people who survived the onslaught, Morgan had the demeanour of someone who was not done and was not going to rest and take a time-out to consider how he felt about it all.

• Love 7

Can you remind why he had the pictures?

I think it's Gouda that you don't...

It was pictures he took along on recruiting trips, for proof of what he was talking about, that Alexandria was real and where he was from & trying to get the people to join them there.

Wow.  You see an opportunity to quip and you don't Swiss it...

Edited by iRarelyWatchTV36
  • Love 5

It is like they are afraid of black men being strong and embracing violence. It is repulsive and annoying.

They are making Morgan look weak. Compassion gets people killed in their world. The gun they Wolf took may end up killing a regular before the season is over. Is the idea of a black guy killing a lot of white people (dead and undead) too terrifying? He and Tyrese seem to have been the only physically strong members of the group afraid of killing.

• Love 2

Did we ever find out who took the guns that Rick hid before they got to Alexandria?  I can't remember.  Did we find out that it was Nicholas?  Or is the possibility that it is the wolves still out there.  

Maybe Ron didn't want a haircut because he wanted to look cool like Carl.  

• Love 1

Did we ever find out who took the guns that Rick hid before they got to Alexandria?  I can't remember.  Did we find out that it was Nicholas?  Or is the possibility that it is the wolves still out there.  

Maybe Ron didn't want a haircut because he wanted to look cool like Carl.  

It was indeed shown to be Nicholas that swiped Rick's "blender piece".

• Love 1

How that wolf took out the smoking woman was crazy. My heart stopped a bit.

It was so unexpected and absurd at that moment, I thought Carol was hallucinating danger in the too-quiet Alexandria.

I'm convinced that Morgan took some sort of vow to preserve human life no matter what.  I don't understand it and I don't like it but Morgan isn't stupid and he definitely isn't a coward. 

Hmmm. Maybe he promised someone very important he wouldn't kill if it weren't absolutely necessary. Perhaps visions of his son while he was coo coo for coco puffs, and he made hime this promise as he was coming out of his haze.

I know Carol was the superstar badass of the episode, but I want to give props to Carl. He's a teenager, was in the middle of a love triangle and still managed to be one of the best fighters in town.

I think he kind of showed he's above the triangle. He looked sad for a moment, but he's got babies to protect, morons to train, and bad guys to kill, and he knows those three things are much more real that the teenage shit.

Edited by morgankobi
  • Love 12

I just rewatched it, and I think the walker in the truck was the driver. When Spencer hears the truck, we can see it going in a straight line, then he shots at it and when it crashes, you can see the bullet holes in the windshield from Spencer's machine gun. I think he killed the driver, and by the time he made it to the truck cab, the driver's turned already. 

Also realized that the people left in Alexandria were unaware that Rick and others were herding the quarry walkers at the time; it was supposed to be a test run, but when part of the quarry collapsed and walkers started to come out, they were forced to do it right away. No wonder the remaining alexandrians seemed to be careless of what may be happening outside.

• Love 15

Will Enid provolone her ability to survive?

Has Deanna bleu her big chance to establish herself as the town's real leader?

Will Rick's next attempt at a zombie population colby successful?

But, hey, at least "The Strain" is on hiatus right now.

Which means that they're giving Abraham and Feta well-deserved vacation.

Edited by CletusMusashi
  • Love 11

It wasn't really clear, but I'm guessing they rigged the walker as a driver, maybe weighed down the accelerator? I don't think there was an intended target for the semi, just to do damage and create chaos. Walker was thrown over the the passenger side after the crash. I kept waiting for the disco zombies to come out of the back of the semi trailer.

How did they get in? They had Molotov cocktails or some other stand-off incendiary weapons but chose not to use them once inside. They must have planned this little invasion only to get inside and personally kill everyone. All would have been lost without Carol and the Lenmaster.

• Love 2

Not gonna lie, when they showed the turtle, I was fully expecting to see a walker's head on it just cruisin' by. 

Yes, yes, YES! I really thought we were going to get a homage (fromage) right there. Especially with the slow walk into screen.

So, I know a lot of us thought perhaps Enid knew/was contacting some of the people that were exiled from Alexandria before CDB showed up, but now we know that's not likely. I wonder if they will ever be brought up again. 

I'm confused about Enid just wandering off like she is capable of surviving alone. She was with her parents, they got killed, she wandered around killing only one incapacitated walker (that we saw), and then stumbled onto Alexandria while just about starving. Other than sneaking over a horribly guarded wall, have we really seen anything that shows she is capable of this?

• Love 7

I don't understand the 'why' of the wolves.  Yeah, it's great to see a lot of violence and blood and who doesn't love watching an episode devoted to NinjaCarol AGAIN (me) but what was the point of the wolves.  They aren't like the late Joe and the Merletones.  They don't steal.  The men don't rape.  They don't move into the communities they invade.  Is it just violence for violence sake because if it is, then they need to elect Carol Pack President because she's their girl.

Does Carol's handiness with a knife excuse her horribleness to a little boy who just lost his father?  Because there aren't wolf attacks every day and this creature doesn't know how to live with people unless she's lying..

The episode was action packed but I can't help feeling it was a bit mindless too.

• Love 6