Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

15 minutes ago, Fukui San said:

The Giants have 8 yards of passing, all from Tyrod Taylor, with two minutes left. And they are LEADING 10-7. 

Jets - Giants is going to Overtime tied at 10-10. The kicker from the Giants bricked a pretty easy Field Goal. And then Zack Wilson willed them to Field Goal range & their kicker made the Field Goal to tie it up. Damn, this game is something else.

IMO (which is a fact): It would be pretty embarrassing for the Steelers if everybody else in the AFC North won later on. Pittsburgh was at home, and the other teams are on the road

5 minutes ago, Magog said:

Jets - Giants is going to Overtime tied at 10-10. The kicker from the Giants bricked a pretty easy Field Goal. And then Zack Wilson willed them to Field Goal range & their kicker made the Field Goal to tie it up. Damn, this game is something else.

Tie game or defensive score is the only just ending for this game. 

2 minutes ago, Fukui San said:
8 minutes ago, Magog said:

Tie game or defensive score is the only just ending for this game. 

100%.  FWIW, I almost picked this game to end in a tie.  I would've move away from my first instincts, but I did think about it for a second.  Still 2 garbage teams in the league.  Not as bad as Houston TBH

Vikings beat Green Bay, 24-10! Hurray! Unfortunately Kirk Cousins has an ankle injury and had to be carted off the field. The backup, Hall, did OK. He and the defense maintained the score at 24-10 so we won.

39 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Looks like they cleared the snow off the field in Denver. Boo!

😒

Well, there goes a reason to even stomach through this game. There is a good chance that the Chiefs will win in a blowout or in a close game & it won't be even remotely fun to watch. 

Frankly, I would rather watch that Jets - Giants game again than watch Patrick being Patrick once again against those crummy Broncos.

Oh & BTW, the Cowboys won in beatdown 43-20. Yay. 😒

Edited by Magog

Reports say that Kirk Cousins tore his Achilles.  That makes me feel badly for the poor guy.

Now this is rich coming from someone whose favorite team plays where it does, but every time the Niners play at home the announcers tell us we are in Santa Clara.  So why aren’t they called that?

Dallas beatdown, the Giants lose shittily, three hours of Romo - this is NOT the best start to my 50th birthday week.

• Hugs 2
Just now, meowmommy said:
6 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

I don't know who the announcers doing the Ravens game on CBS are, but they are AWFUL. 

506 Sports says they are Chris Lewis and Ross Tucker.

For whatever reason, CBS had a rather case of 7 games today.  Not rare, but just not as routine. Chris & Ross don't call games every week, but they needed 7 teams.  Even the sixth team that features James Lofton doesn't go every week

• Thanks 1
26 minutes ago, Lamb18 said:

Vikings beat Green Bay, 24-10! Hurray! Unfortunately Kirk Cousins has an ankle injury and had to be carted off the field. The backup, Hall, did OK. He and the defense maintained the score at 24-10 so we won.

I think the ineptness of the Packers' offense was more responsible for the final score than any player - offense, defense, or STs - on the Vikes.  It was questionable for much of the first half if any of the Packers' WRs dressed for the game, since they were nowhere to be seen.  I don't know how GB can evaluate Jordan Love given the inexperience of all the WRs & TEs, plus the horrendous play of the offensive line.  They finally benched LT Rasheed Walker today, who specializes in whiffing on blocks and letting guys have a free run at Love, only to replace him with Yosh Njiman, who had been benched earlier in the season.  

It's too bad about Cousins.  Even though I think he's an idiot, I never want to see any player injured.  (Unless they are a dirty player, someone like Ndamukong Suh.  I wouldn't have felt bad if he had torn both Achilles simultaneously!)  It seems to be QB injury day - Matt Stafford, Kenny Pickett, Tyrod Taylor, and Cousins all suffered injuries.  

55 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Now this is rich coming from someone whose favorite team plays where it does, but every time the Niners play at home the announcers tell us we are in Santa Clara.  So why aren’t they called that?

Same reason we don't have the Inglewood Rams, Inglewood Chargers, New Jersey (or East Rutherford) Jets, New Jersey Giants, Paradise Raiders, Landover Commanders, or any other teams who technically play in a different location than their name.  It could be worse, they could claim an entire region (Patriots), state (quite a few), or pull the ridiculous nonsense the LA Angels of Anaheim did.

• Like 5
58 minutes ago, baldryanr said:

Landover Commanders

Or the late, lamented Raljon Taters (Commanders).  That was time I look back on fondly... or hysterically, whichever fits.  What a bozo Jack Kent Cook was.  

• Like 2
6 hours ago, mojoween said:

Seeing Phil Simms in a throwback 11 brought a tear to my eye.  And also causes me to make an admission that, 37 years ago next month when I became a rabid Giants fan is because my 13 year old self laid eyes on Phil Simms and said “oh he’s so cute!”

I thought he was cute way back then, too.  😄

• LOL 1
10 minutes ago, twoods said:

Trying to figure out how the Broncos are going to screw this one up.

They’re going to have to work a lot harder if they want to lose this in the last minutes.  After all, they’re not the Giants.

Did today's outcome atone for two prior Super Bowl losses, including SB XXIII during which Satan himself (Joe Montana) and his sidekick Beelzebub (Jerry Rice) broke the heart of a sweet, adorable, innocent, towheaded, ten-year-old angel (me)?  No.  No, it did not.

But I'm not mad at it either.

21 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

I see the officials are making questionable calls once again in the Pittsburgh Jacksonville game.

And I see the Steelers are crying about the calls - after getting them to their advantage last week.  I didn't see either game, just going by what I read here.

But then, there has been a lot of complaining about the officials this year.  Are they really getting worse?  Have the good refs retired?  Or is it the advancement of technology - more camera angles, better replays, sharper pictures - that are making us more aware?

• Like 3
48 minutes ago, Johannah said:

But then, there has been a lot of complaining about the officials this year.  Are they really getting worse?  Have the good refs retired?  Or is it the advancement of technology - more camera angles, better replays, sharper pictures - that are making us more aware?

It used to be there were some calls that made viewers say WTF but generally the announcers would try to make sense of them. But now even the announcers are saying WTF.  There has always been a level of distrust between fans and the NFL but this poor officiating (and it seems to be every game) is making things a lot worse.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

For what it's worth, it was unlikely that Los Angeles was going to win the game anyway had the call in Week 7 been different.  That was pretty much the case last week, and that's pretty much the case this week.  The Steelers offense, as has been the case for the past several years, have been as wonderful as a cat's attempt to complete a drawing throughout an entire chalkboard.  To be honest, I was more annoyed about the fact that the Steelers defense did their best, but the offense stalled many, many times.  Nothing from them, nothing.  If I'm Pittsburgh, I would spend less time on how bad the officiating is and more time being a better football team.

That being said, the officiating was still a joke.  While I would not help fund for Johnson's upcoming fine, it wasn't good.  The thing that is annoying is how a call or no-call occurs, but then the opposite takes place.  In the same game by the same officials.

The refs could call roughing the passer or not.  One could argue that neither hits on Lawrence & Pickett were worth a flag, and the opposite could defend a penalty.  The one on Trevor was sad.  But they needed to call that on Kenny since it was worse & he was landed on.

That aside, there is NO excuse for what occurred during the FG attempt, period.  I might not be a fan of calls/no-call re: QB protection, but that penalty at the end of the second quarter was messed up.

I can understand the anger towards the league and the refs.  No sense in ripping them since the only outcome is ending up with less money in the pocket.  Though it still would be nice if things got better in terms of officiating games.  However, officials make mistakes, and they're not the only ones on the field of play that make mistakes.  Fair enough

• Like 2
  • Fire 1

According to FanDuel, Atlanta is favored by 4.5 over Minnesota.  I think it was slated to be Falcon -1 this time 48 hours ago.  With Detroit rebounding over Vegas, it could get to the point where the Lions are crowned at home on Turkey Day. 

I'd say no to that, but barring something unfortunate, Detroit will finally complete things for the NFC North (and the conference).  To explain, if they win their division, everyone would've won in the North, and each of the 16 teams in the NFC would've won a division title at least once since 2002.  We'll see if Cleveland can get there to become the 32nd team in the AFC North.  Either way, Cousins may have taken his final snap in Minnesota.

Every second that goes by is 1 second too long in waiting for the league to flex out Jets/Raiders to another spot.  It helps that the Lions won big in a stand alone game thirteen days before their unprotected game at SoFi. 

On the other hand, I wouldn't be shocked if they didn't touch it.  New York has been managing so far this season.  A winning record for them heading into November, where the schedule is a tad bit easier.  The Raiders aren't great, but they're hosting the Super Bowl.  Well the game is at Allegiant, but it won't feature the former 3-Time Super Bowl champions.  Maybe the NFL would love to have the venue featured in primetime; I think there is something to that.  However, it's on a different network, and Las Vegas was already on SNF in Week 3.

Here are several options.  I thought Cleveland at Baltimore would've been perfect, though Detroit vs Los Angeles might be the best bet.  San Francisco at Jacksonville sounds wonderful, but not automatic given the NFC West champions recent slide, among other things.  I guess I'll know for sure on Tuesday

The Trade Deadline for the 104th NFL season has come & gone.  Several players have been moved elsewhere.  The biggest ones were Josh Dobbs (Arizona to Minnesota) and Chase Young (Washington to San Francisco).

I don't expect the 49ers to fall completely off the map.  Seattle is currently in 1st place in the NFC West, but that's expected to change by the end of the upcoming weekend.  The Niners are off this week, so at best, they'd be tied with the Seahawks with the division record tie-breaker coming into play.  A much-needed week off for the 2022 NFC West Champions.  Similar to other teams, they'll have a chance to get people healthy and address other issues.  However, Young & Bosa on opposite ends is huge.

Dobbs to the Vikings in the aftermath of Cousins' exit is reasonable.  I'll still hold onto my decision that Detroit wins the division for the first time ever (about 30 years removed from their last division title), but the NFC isn't that strong, so why not try to make a push to the playoffs.  Of course, the NFC might not be as weak as advertised.  You never know with Los Angeles & New Orleans as well as Atlanta, but with a 2-way battle in the NFC East & the NFC West, it's not going to be easy to make it as a wild card.  On the other hand, injuries can crush the Lions, if not that team doing what they've done since forever.

Players not going anywhere (despite speculation and/or wishes) include Saquon Barkley, Davante Adams, and Derrick Henry.  While it's easier said than done trying to add talent, staying pat probably leads to a less than favorable end outcome

• Like 1

I don't mind Ziegler going too, but the thing that concerns me is that it will put the Raiders behind other teams in the race to sign HCs after the season ends, since they'll have to first hire a GM. Unless Davis plans to hire a HC first and force it on the GM. And then there's getting ready for the draft. This is a QB-heavy draft and the Raiders need to get it right or it's going to be back to the QB carousel we had until Carr's arrival. Meanwhile the HC carousel continues. (I really wish Davis had just stuck with Jack del Rio longer instead of chasing after Gruden, but here we are.)

It sure seems like McDaniels is nothing without Tom Brady. At least Belichick has his defensive accomplishments to point to.

• Like 1