Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

15 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Ravens lose to colts!  In overtime. 

I was going to be wrong with this pick regardless of the outcome.  That was the case the whole day.  Baltimore never led by 8 or more I don't think.  So I'm glad that they lost outright if I was going to be wrong from the get go

Congratulations to Arizona for being this years “team we all assume will be goddamn terrible but are actually quite pesky and- are they about to beat the Cowboys?”

Hopefully they won’t run out of gas again like vs the Giants.

• Like 4
51 minutes ago, Carey said:

I was going to be wrong with this pick regardless of the outcome.  That was the case the whole day.  Baltimore never led by 8 or more I don't think.  So I'm glad that they lost outright if I was going to be wrong from the get go

Neither team ever had more than a one score lead. 14 10 ravens was largest lead by either team. After that all fgs and a safety. 

First quarter ravens up 7 0 driving inside 20 looking to go up 14 0 and fumbled. Changed the game. They crushed the colts in first quarter. 

Bears are really trying to help out Denver by topping their 50 point loss

8 minutes ago, Carey said:
1 hour ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Bears are really trying to help out Denver by topping their 50 point loss

At least Denver got into the endzone

Of course that's all it took.

Maybe Arizona is getting a little scared to where they'll hold off until next year since there were "rumors" of Caleb possibly staying back a year depending on who finished in last

26 minutes ago, ScorpioSoul said:

This Travis Kelce/Taylor Swift thing is already giving Tony Romo/Jessica Simpson vibes. At least it looks like Mama K approves (for now).

I'm not even a big taylor swift fan. And I like kc. But not a fan of kelce.  

That being said she can do better. 

Edited by DrSpaceman73
24 minutes ago, ScorpioSoul said:

This Travis Kelce/Taylor Swift thing is already giving Tony Romo/Jessica Simpson vibes.

The media attention on this is already annoying.  I hate it whenever the camera crew pan up to the booth whenever there's a player's wife or girlfriend up there.  We don't care!!  Remember when the camera crews had to give us a shot of Kurt Warner's wife every 5 minutes when he was playing?  Ugh!  Show us the damn game!!

• Like 4
  • Applause 2
3 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

This Sunday night game has “unwatchable” written all over it. 

Yes it does.  I'll be turning in for the night so I can get a good night's rest to start the week

3 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

I don't think the Cardinals know how this tanking thing is supposed to work

Yeahhhhh…Phoenix has burned to the ground, and there’s no Gatorade left in town.  After ASU nearly pulled off a miracle last night, and then today: it’s gonna be the Super Bowl/Stanley Cup/2001 Dbacks, all week long.

Cowboy fans in blue have long overwhelmed the Cardinal red in Glendale.  Which sucks for the players.  So I’m very happy about this giant morale boost for my adopted city.

Meanwhile Cris Collinsworth has replaced Carl Cheffers as Kingdom Enemy #1.  Do us a favor, Bengal.  Go watch some game film of, say, the Dallas LT during today’s game.  Then stay TF out of Arrowhead.

10 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

I've been watching football regularly since the mid-70s, I don't remember a game where somebody put up 70. Payton needs to blow that team up.

Payton owns this as much, if not more, than anyone.  I thought it was a college score at first because the talent differential in college allows this to happen.  But given the way the NFL tries to spread out talent in the NFL, coaching gets its fair share of the blame. 

9 hours ago, Fukui San said:

Zack Wilson seems to have progressed to being a simply terrible QB from being the worst starting QB of the modern era. 

I did wonder what the Jets would do if he turned out to be a much improved QB as Rodgers is a legend but a good young QB can set you up for years of success in the future.

His play in the past few games kind of settles that question.

CJ Stroud looks to be legit.  900 yards and 0 interceptions his first three games.  I, for one, as Buckeye fan, am glad to see we might’ve produced a good NFL QB.  There’s still a ways to go for the Texans, but they’re on the right track.

Jacksonville, OTOH, seems to have regressed from last year’s late run.  Trevor is inconsistent, and the offense doesn’t seem to be clicking right.

• Like 1

Travis Kelce can date whoever he wants.  It’s not really ok, however, for Patrick Mahomes to get questions about Taylor Swift in the on-field interview after the game AND in the post-game press conference.  How is it already too much after one game?

• Like 9
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

Travis Kelce can date whoever he wants.  It’s not really ok, however, for Patrick Mahomes to get questions about Taylor Swift in the on-field interview after the game AND in the post-game press conference.  How is it already too much after one game?

Just wait until next week - Chiefs at Jets on Sunday night.  I'm going to go out on a limb and say the game will be wrapped pretty quickly, so they're going to need something to talk about the rest of the time.  They could do a bit on the various ways the Jets have suffered since the franchise sold their soul to the devil before SB III, but cutaways to Taylor will probably be the preferred choice for the network.

• Sad 2

So last week, the NFC East went 4-0.  They're 0-3 so far this week. I say we root for 0-4 tonight. Who is with me!

On 9/23/2023 at 6:53 PM, Carey said:

They might have a point, but just not to the primary person.  If San Francisco is going to talk trash to someone, they might want to do that to the Giants PTB.  I'll bet the Daniel Jones didn't make the final call to pay Daniel Jones a lot of money

I'll defend my quarterback a little bit here. First of all, I've heard the "overpaid Jones" thing on the NFL radio a few times. Ignoring fans, because fans, the VAST majority of hosts/guest who make that statement are former Running Backs and Defensive Backs. Their angle is "The Giants could give Jones all that money, but not anything to Barkley." 

Which I get, they're defending the great RB, but it's specious reasoning. Decent Quarterbacks are worth a lot more to a team than excellent Running Backs. See: NY Jets 2023 for a demonstration of this fact.

Second, Llamar Jackson got twice as much guaranteed money as Jones, and at this moment Jackson is statistically just a fancy Jones because he has an MVP award from 5 seasons ago on his resume. Yet not a single person ever uses Jackson as an example of somebody who got a lot of money.

• 2022 stats: Jackson: 17 TD, 7 INT, 62.7 Cmp%, Rate 91.1, 764 Yds rushing, 3 TDs
  • 2022 stats: Jones: 15 TD, 5 INT, 67.2 Cmp%, Rate 92.5, 707 Yds rushing, 7 TDs
  • Jackson $135 Million Guaranteed at signing, $185M in total guarantees.
  • Jones $82 Million Guaranteed at signing, $105M in total guarantees.

The big difference between the two right now is that Jackson doesn't have to survive games where the five worst players on the field (per Pro Football Focus's evaluation, which matches the eye test) just happen to be the five starting offensive linemen. Here are your NY Giants ladies and gentlemen from that SF game:

image.thumb.png.03ae628d357e899038492f116ceb621f.png

If you're not familiar with PFF ratings, Blue is very good, red is very bad.  The Giants guards got pass blocking ratings of 3.8 and 3.9 in that game. That makes the Denver Broncos performance this weekend look pretty decent. That makes Blutowski's GPA of 0.0 sound reasonable. To get a grade of 3.8, that means that they made mostly below average or bad plays on virtually every passing down.

But yeah, let's call out Jones as the problem who didn't deserve his contract. 

The Giants had 99 problems in that game, and Jones was far down the list of what they were. 

• Like 4

They mentioned it only briefly during the Miami beat down, but I'm wondering if the brutal sun/heat/humidity contributed to Denver mailing it it as the game got out of reach. 

Miami sets up the stadium so that their side is in the shade while the opponent's side is baking in the sun. The Broncos are a team that's used to the crisp mountain air. It had to be a factor in the second half.

1 hour ago, JTMacc99 said:

They mentioned it only briefly during the Miami beat down, but I'm wondering if the brutal sun/heat/humidity contributed to Denver mailing it it as the game got out of reach. 

Miami sets up the stadium so that their side is in the shade while the opponent's side is baking in the sun. The Broncos are a team that's used to the crisp mountain air. It had to be a factor in the second half.

I don't think the sun, heat, & humidity have anything to do with the Broncos flat out sucking yesterday. They pretty much lay down & play dead in that game. They play the Not Worth A Damn Bears next & I really wish that both of them would lose.

6 hours ago, baldryanr said:
8 hours ago, mojoween said:

Just wait until next week - Chiefs at Jets on Sunday night.  I'm going to go out on a limb and say the game will be wrapped pretty quickly, so they're going to need something to talk about the rest of the time.  They could do a bit on the various ways the Jets have suffered since the franchise sold their soul to the devil before SB III, but cutaways to Taylor will probably be the preferred choice for the network.

Is it too early that I already consider rooting for neither in this game? Its bad enough that the Jets suck as usual & that Travis Kelce has just about worn out his welcome. Now, I need to deal with him being with Taylor Swift & giving me even more reasons why I don't want the Chiefs to repeat this season. It makes me sick that I had to put up with that yesterday & have to relive that garbage on the morning pop radio station. I know that jerk Elvis Duran & his band of losers was very gleeful about this. 😒

As for Jerry Jones, I "really" hope that he had a very good night sleep after watching his Cowboys go down to the sorry Cardinals. I know I slept like a baby after watching that game. 😁

Edited by Magog
  • Like 1
  • LOL 1
5 minutes ago, Magog said:

why I don't want the Chiefs to repeat this season

I honestly don't think they've got the firepower to repeat this year. The WR group is a couple sandwiches short of a picnic, and the defense is okay, but not great. I'm not sure which team will come out on top of the AFC, but I do think somebody will have a chance to knock the Chiefs off the top of the hill.  

And if SF and Philadelphia stay healthy, it would seem as though the NFC will have a very strong team representing them in the Super Bowl. (Says JTMacc99 with 82% of the season still to be played.)

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Magog said:

Travis Kelce has just about worn out his welcome. Now, I need to deal with him being with Taylor Swift

He just seems so smug and obnoxious.  I can deal with Gronk because he does seem nice.  And he would be fun to hang out with. I don't care about Taylor Swift one way or the other but the fact so much sport media attention is being paid to this is just crazy to me.  Not to mention Patrick Mahomes is thinking about the Swifties???

"I knew I had to get the ball to Travis," Mahomes said in a post-match interview with Fox Sports.

"I think he wanted to get it into the end zone as much as all the Swifties wanted him to," the quarterback added.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Heard the Steelers plane was diverted to KC due to engine failure (rumored). How long until they can commandeer a plane big enough to get them all back to Pittsburgh?

I think one engine on the plane they were on lost oil pressure. It sounds like they're almost home now. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

I don't care about Taylor Swift one way or the other but the fact so much sport media attention is being paid to this is just crazy to me. 

Taylor Swift isn't just a musical artist. She's a huge star. The entertainment news media wants to know and report on everything she does. 

The fact that she's crossing over a little bit into the NFL world is ridiculously big news.

Our NFL world will include Taylor Swift for as long as Kelce remains charming enough to keep her interested in him. (In other words, it's up to Travis Kelce's personality to put an end to it.)

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

Taylor Swift isn't just a musical artist. She's a huge star. The entertainment news media wants to know and report on everything she does. 

The fact that she's crossing over a little bit into the NFL world is ridiculously big news.

I understand all that but I still think it's crazy. People can be interested but when Patrick Mahomes is asked about it in relation to playing the game I think that is ridiculous.

• Like 1
  • Fire 3

Oh, it's going to be ridiculous for at least a couple more weeks. I've heard at least a dozen instances of Taylor Swift lyrics worked into the sports recap of the Chiefs game or one of her songs as the intro into Chiefs highlights today.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3
On 9/22/2023 at 8:35 PM, roamyn said:

Never!  I’ll give up football first.

@Notabug can join this ex-Browns fan to rooting for Baker and the Bucks.

I am, first and foremost, a Ravens fan, but I can get behind rooting for the Bucs if it makes the Browns front office want to shoot themselves in the foot for paying Watson and not giving Mayfield the guidance he needed to excel.  So, yeah, I can get behind the Bucs winning the NFC.  Won't happen, but fun to think about.  Added bonus - that means it won't be the Cowboys.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, bluegirl147 said:

People can be interested but when Patrick Mahomes is asked about it in relation to playing the game I think that is ridiculous.

If they hadn’t asked him about Taylor, they would have been asking him about his son’s first time at a game. 

Fingers crossed for Tampa, and no thank you for an Eagles win.  The latter probably wins because I suck.  I'm picking Tampa for the next several games because I've paid the price not believing in them.  Twice.  Meanwhile, Philadelphia isn't as great (looking) as they were in 2022.

Otherwise, I probably go with Philly.  No reason for Tampa to lose tonight after everything.  That's not fair to lose to East PA on Ronde Barber night!

2 hours ago, Johannah said:

I am, first and foremost, a Ravens fan, but I can get behind rooting for the Bucs if it makes the Browns front office want to shoot themselves in the foot for paying Watson and not giving Mayfield the guidance he needed to excel.  So, yeah, I can get behind the Bucs winning the NFC.  Won't happen, but fun to think about.  Added bonus - that means it won't be the Cowboys.

I will absolutely root for Baker Mayfield to succeed if only so the Browns owners will see what could have been.  Was there anyone other than the owners who wanted Watson?

• Like 4
6 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

I will absolutely root for Baker Mayfield to succeed if only so the Browns owners will see what could have been.  Was there anyone other than the owners who wanted Watson?

Possibly.  Just not for fully guaranteed.  Can't blame Cleveland since the jokes on having more QBs than teams in the NFL in less than a quarter century is accurate.  What they did was what needed to be done, but it was still not a great move

This was on a Christina Aguilera fan site a while back.  I thought actually similar to me Travis grew up with a crush on her.  His team mate said Taylor Swift.  lol 

Former NY Giants Tiki barber walked off the radio on his weekly segment with Joe Benigno!  Zack Wilson is damaging friendships.  

Even Joe Namath who is always positive about the Jets trashed the team saying it needs a total facelift