Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

7 hours ago, mojoween said:

Well.  That fucking sucked.  But at least it wasn’t a shutout!

There are glimmers of hope though, and the team did defy expectations. It’s disappointing, but they played two more games than most of the league so there’s that.  Still mad at Daboll for being too cute, but he’s been very good for these players and they seem to love him.

Well, we (Giants fans) all knew that the lineup was a few sandwiches short of a picnic. So it's kind of hard to make a case that this season was anything other than a major success regardless of the last game.  

They still have significant limitations towards what they can do financially in 2023, but they should still be able to make significant improvements to the roster going into next season and then throw a bunch of money around in 2024. 

When you bring in an entire new organization to a team coming off 6 and 4 win seasons, you would expect it to take 2-3 years to be a playoff contender if everything went really well. Most of the time it's "let's try again" after 2-3 years.

2 minutes ago, Carey said:

Damar Hamlin will be in attendance I've heard.  That might add & aid Buffalo

I think the biggest thing that will help Buffalo is the same thing that's moving that point spread: The injuries to the Bengals offensive line. We know the kid holds up just fine under pressure, but there is a line where it's not just normal pressure and it becomes a disaster. 

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Carey said:

Tracy Wolfson has reported he has ARRIVED.

I know he is in a box and will be watched closely but I really hope he doesn't over do it.   He still needs oxygen apparently.   

But DAMN I feel sorry for the Bengals.   The emotion in that stadium with him RIGHT THERE is going to be incredible.    

12 minutes ago, merylinkid said:
27 minutes ago, Carey said:

Tracy Wolfson has reported he has ARRIVED.

I know he is in a box and will be watched closely but I really hope he doesn't over do it.   He still needs oxygen apparently.   

But DAMN I feel sorry for the Bengals.   The emotion in that stadium with him RIGHT THERE is going to be incredible.    

I first learned about his plans to be there from, of all places, The Weather Channel.  I too hope he doesn't overdo it, but I think he'll be fine.  I don't think he would've shown up if it was too much of a risk to be there.

There was something I was thinking about that may or may not have been done by the Bengals that might've made things fair.  I might post that later since there's still a chance that Cincinnati wins.  BTW, the line, which started off at about 3.5 in favor of Buffalo, moved rapidly early in the week, but it held steady at about 5.5 most of the week.  The OL is a big issue, but the Bills defense isn't that scary either.  The scary defenses are coming from the remaining 3 teams in the NFC

24 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

I would imagine picking whoever the top 10 musical acts are today:

Adding the noise level at each of their concerts together and multiplying that number by 46586969 would get you the emotion/noise level today in Buffalo.  Kinda why the home field is such an advantage 

8 hours ago, mojoween said:

There are glimmers of hope though, and the team did defy expectations. It’s disappointing, but they played two more games than most of the league so there’s that.  Still mad at Daboll for being too cute, but he’s been very good for these players and they seem to love him.

Yeah, the season as a whole was a success, and something to build on.  If Daboll can accomplish that remains to be seen, of course, but there's groundwork laid.  It was thrilling to finally have a post-season win again.  I just wish they hadn't flamed out quite so spectacularly in the second round, but it was unquestionably a hell of a transition year.

• Like 4

A snow game - just what January football should be.  However, unlike all of us watching from the comfort of our homes, I'm sure the players would prefer no precipitation, no wind, great footing.  

I didn't expect the Bengals to go right down the field; I thought Buffalo would exploit their o-line issues.  But the weather and precarious footing usually is an advantage for the offense; the defense can't adjust/change direction as quickly as they can on a dry field, so they play a bit more cautiously.  

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, twoods said:

I’m not making the same mistake as @Bastetand starting to drink early. This is going to be a long ass game, but expected.

Hah!  I've been drinking since the AM!  Gotta factor in Dallas playing tonight!

C'mon Bills - I was hoping for a good game to watch.  Another 21-0 start will have me turning this off.  I have zero rooting interest in either team, I just wanted to have a competitive game. 

Edited by Calvada
  • Like 1
Just now, Calvada said:

C'mon Bills - I was hoping for a good game to watch.  Another 21-0 start will have me turning this off.  I have zero rooting interest in either team, I just wanted to have a competitive team.  

It's complicated for me.  I'm with you.  I don't care if Buffalo comes back to win following such a deficit; respond like you did against championship teams New England & Pittsburgh.  Throw in Baltimore there.

OTOH, whatever nukes a neutral site game that precedes the Super Bowl is good for me

Dome games are for collegiate and professional basketball.

I'd agree in terms of these conditions, but I've seen a lot people in my area saying the same thing.  Depends on if they'd actually deal with the weather.  On one hand, some people can to the highest level.  On the other hand, half of these conditions have resulted in nights where everyone took the day off due to the conditions inferior to what's happening at Orchard Park

28 minutes ago, twoods said:

I’m not making the same mistake as @Bastetand starting to drink early.

I start every Sunday with Bloody Marys, so I'm good to go for a game I don't care about.  What the hell I was thinking last night, being all productive during breaks in play until halftime, I do not know.

My grandpa generally had no interest in football, but would watch any snow game he came across while channel surfing.  He's long gone, but to this day we'll comment when something is a game he'd like.  I'm not excited by them, at all (I hate snow -- pretty to look at, but I'd never live anyplace I had to deal with a single flake of it), but I guess I don't truly hate the distractions they create.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Bastet said:

I'd never live anyplace I had to deal with a single flake of it

I am watching the game while simultaneously looking out my window in fury at the grass that is STILL GREEN.  Stop hogging all the snow, Buffalo!

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

Well, Buffalo might want to do the thing their division antagonists have done during their 2 decades of dominance which coincided with their 2 decades of the opposite of dominating: The Double

Score to end the half, and open up the second half with another score

Buffalo is really missing Von Miller.  That is a big deal.  Just ask the 2013 Broncos (though that presence might've meant 7-13 in favor of Seattle).  Even if Buffalo survives I can't see them knocking of Kansas City, Philly, San Francisco or definitely even Dallas

• Like 3

Nice year for Buffalo, but the Chiefs regained their home field advantage.  Chiefs hosting Bengals next week after the NFC Champ is crowned (Eagles, Niners, or Dallas).  Cincy has a great shot at being the 21st different Super Bowl winner (so as long as the NFC West champion doesn't win its next 2 games)

• Like 1

I think Cincy would have a pretty good chance against the Eagles, Chiefs too, but not the 49ers.  Unless Purdue really gets slammed tonight, I don’t think anyone has much of a chance against that defense.

Edited by roamyn
  • Like 1
10 minutes ago, twoods said:

Yeah they’re done. Bengals did a great job after their crappy start, and I can see them winning it all this year. Good team all around.

I guess that helps prevent Buffalo from matching the opposite of San Francisco (and America's Team) in terms of Super Bowl outcomes.  However, the Bengals and Bills are a huge part of the NFC dominance.  Which sucks since the NFC chose to fall on the sword in most cases whenever the AFC winner was from Foxborough

2 minutes ago, roamyn said:

I think Cincy would have a pretty good chance against the Eagles, Chiefs too, but not the 49ers.  Unless Purdue really gets slammed tonight, I don’t think anyone has much of a chance against that defense.

Of course, if Philadelphia pummels the Niners, then who knows against Cincy.  Assuming SF beats Dallas.  I think the Bengals avenge their Week 2 loss.  The last thing I need to see is Chase landing on the injury report or on IR outta nowhere when his presence would be enough to help Cincinnati actually knock off a team like San Francisco

1 hour ago, Carey said:

Well, Buffalo might want to do the thing their division antagonists have done during their 2 decades of dominance which coincided with their 2 decades of the opposite of dominating: The Double

Score to end the half, and open up the second half with another score

Buffalo are dominating the division and may do so for a while, but they have yet to accomplish anything of note in the larger scheme of things. 

Just now, Fukui San said:

Buffalo are dominating the division and may do so for a while, but they have yet to accomplish anything of note in the larger scheme of things. 

True point, and IMO, this is what's crushing Buffalo.  In the immediate aftermath of their 4th consecutive SB loss (which just about coincided with Bob Kraft's purchase), New England still had one AFC Title under their belts.  They did get their second AFC Title, but very soon after the Music City Miracle, they trended toward the NFL version of the Pittsburgh Pirates.  In that timeframe, New England, outta nowhere, went from nothing to a level that matched Pittsburgh, Dallas, and San Francisco (while in that period, turning into garbage against Baltimore).

Barring a TB12 reunion with special guests, Buffalo should dominate their division for a long time.  They're not holding the title within an entire calendar decade nor do I see six superbowls, but if they can address defense and running, they should actually win something before they don't

• Useful 1
1 minute ago, Carey said:

Which sucks since the NFC chose to fall on the sword in most cases whenever the AFC winner was from Foxborough

The NFC East did its part, but for one Iggles loss.  It was those other sucky divisions.  NFC North never even put in an appearance against TB12.

It sounds goofy, as I'm a Giants fan through and through, but I've liked Cincinnati as my AFC team since they drafted Mike Reid from Penn State in 1970.  What can I say; I was a kid.  I root for them against everyone but the Giants, and fortunately, they only play every four years.

Would like to see Cincy v. SF III, finally with a Cincy win.  But really, for me, it's Anybody But Dall-ass.

Just now, Fukui San said:

Shades of the Jim Kelly era.

The Buffalo crowd has been a complete non-factor today.  I've heard more 'Who dey' than any sustained Buffalo noise.

• Love 1

Hmm,  I guess all of the breathless talk of emotions and how hard it would be for the Bengals ended up being a complete waste of time.  As was all the talk about how the NFL would rig things to get Buffalo through. 

8 minutes ago, Carey said:

Barring a TB12 reunion with special guests, Buffalo should dominate their division for a long time. 

Is one of those special guests a magician who can de-age TB?  Because an immobile QB in his mid-40s who (understandably) doesn't want to get hit is not the key to success.

• Like 1

Part of me is actually hoping the Bengals don't lose next week unless Patrick is healthy enough to knock off the Niners again.  That's if SF wins both of its next two games.  I admire the Giants, but I don't need the NFC having anymore bragging rights.

FWIW, meowmommy.  That Super Bowl was tremendous for me.  I sorta enjoyed having the last laugh; I destroyed Philadelphia for losing 3 consecutive NFC Title games before they told Pittsburgh to just cut off that thumb.  I have never been all-in on New England in my life prior to that (other than maybe their 01/10/2015 game against the Ravens).  Man, Super Bowl XXXIX was awesome (at the time).

To be fair, Super Bowl LII was pretty sweet too

Maybe this game will shut up the idiots that think the NFL is rigged and scripted. If you’re so unhappy with it, then watch something else.

Eagles-SF or Eagles-Cowboys will be a competition over whose fanbase is more douchey. 

Edited by twoods
  • Like 2
  • LOL 1