Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

(edited)

For those that said or are pissed that the league added to the postseason & the schedule?  I could not agree more!

Personally, it makes me sick since it's something our late leader opposed without NFL expansion, which is approaching a quarter century since they've added a franchise.  Instead, they'd rather move teams around from somewhere to a decent spot (ex. San Diego to LA, St Louis to LA, and Oakland to Vegas).  As mentioned, adding 18 game would suck unless a second bye occurs.  Doing so while keeping the same template is just not cool.  That spin of an "off day for President's Day" is not a great argument to move the Super Bowl to the 3rd Sunday in February.

Final (sole) prediction for when the game will take place, which should be announced ASAP on SNF.

If Buffalo Wins

Kansas City vs Miami (NBC: 01/13 4:15 EST)
Cleveland vs Houston (Peacock: 01/13 8:15 EST)
Detroit vs Los Angeles (CBS: 01/14 1:05 EST)
Dallas vs Green Bay (FOX: 01/14 4:40 EST)
Buffalo vs Pittsburgh (NBC: 01/14 8:15 EST)
Philadelphia vs Tampa Bay (ESPN: 01/15 8:15 EST)

If Miami Wins

Detroit vs Los Angeles (NBC: 01/13 4:15 EST)
Miami vs Buffalo (Peacock: 01/13 8:15 EST)
Cleveland vs Houston (CBS: 01/14 1:05 EST)
Kansas City vs Pittsburgh (NBC: 01/14 8:15 EST)

BTW, I could see Browns/Texans swapped with Lions/Rams.  If an effort is made to keep AFC teams on CBS, that would be the move. Probably not a big deal to make people pay two watch Goff vs Stafford.  I guess I'd be stunned if games featuring the Top three money franchises ended up on Peacock.  Feels like a late night for Cowboys/Packers and a later night with Steelers & whoever they face.  It's not going to be Miami unless Game 272 ends in a tie

Edited by Carey
Edited for more accurate times
1 hour ago, Carey said:

I think Allen is done regardless of that final segment.  We'll see Re: Smith, but as meowmommy pointed out, if it had to happen, don't do it in victory formation.  Especially against a division foe like Atlanta

Doing it from victory formation is bush league.  And as always, post game comments from Winston and Williams make it worse.  They see nothing wrong with their actions, either going against their coach's directive or going for a TD in the closing seconds in a game they were leading by 24 points.  I don't think either of them can expect to hear their name called for the Art Rooney Award.

• Like 7
(edited)

I guess I'm surprised as well.  KC isn't he juggernaut they were in the past half decade, but I would still not sleep on them.  Playoff success is still a thing, and they have it more than anybody else in the league (over the past 5 years).

However, they haven't been on the road in a long time.  For what it's worth, the last time Kansas City was on the road, Alex Smith was their QB, though Reid and Kelce were still there.  Outside of how Baltimore & Jacksonville played in Foxborough, KC was so close in knocking off New England.  Everybody else fell before halftime.  If KC wins on the road, their second phase might be better than New England's second phase.  Helps that they didn't do anything today (while still winning a game).

Okay, I'll try this again (the following is more accurate, I believe):

If Buffalo Wins

Cleveland vs Houston (NBC: 01/13 4:15 EST)
Miami vs Kansas City (Peacock: 01/13 8:15 EST)
Pittsburgh vs Buffalo (CBS: 01/14 1:05 EST)
Detroit vs Los Angeles (NBC: 01/14 8:15 EST)

If Miami Wins

Cleveland vs Houston (NBC: 01/13 4:15 EST)
Pittsburgh vs Kansas City (Peacock: 01/13 8:15 EST)
Buffalo vs Miami (CBS: 01/14 1:05 EST)
Detroit vs Los Angeles (NBC: 01/14 8:15 EST)

The NFL can go to hell.  When they added a 7th team, I saw the good in terms of a Saturday afternoon game.  So, they updated that to add a Monday postseason game.  Man I'm still pissed off about that!

Edited by Carey
9 hours ago, mojoween said:

Have to say it’s a surprise that Kansas City is the team getting shuffled off to Peacock.

I was surprised by this. I do wonder if the cities then have to pay to watch it? I say this as a Bill's fan, if we were the ones playing them. I think there would be a riot if they charged people to watch the game.

I think the last time the game was on Peacock it was free in the markets of the teams playing.

I still haven’t seen the ratings for that game.  Seen a lot of people say they absolutely will not pay to watch a game, but haven’t seen if that held.

And so it begins.  The Falcons have officially kicked out Arthur Smith.  Probably didn't expect Todd Bowles to be the last NFC South HC standing.  That's assuming New Orleans brings in someone new. However, I would not be too surprised if all four teams in that division start 2024 with a new head coach.

Anyway, it's curtains for Smith in Atlanta.  Probably the first of a ton of people let go.  GM's included.  Usually the expected departures, plus a surprise or two to go along with everything

19 minutes ago, Carey said:

And so it begins.  The Falcons have officially kicked out Arthur Smith

I was surprised they didn't wait until Mon morning.  This doesn't surprise me, tho.

And as expected, Rivera was fired this morning.  I think he should retire, considering all the health issues Riverboat Ron has had these past few years.

• Like 4
12 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Carolina fired their GM, but it feels like maybe Carolina’s owner should fire the owner.

I was just coming to mention that.  Not a surprise either, but talk abt owner priviledge when in fact, it was Tepper who was making most of the player/personnel decisions.

• Useful 1
22 minutes ago, roamyn said:

I was just coming to mention that.  Not a surprise either, but talk abt owner priviledge when in fact, it was Tepper who was making most of the player/personnel decisions.

Tepper is a clown, but Fitterer definitely had to go.

He traded multiple picks for Sam Darnold, and last years trade-up with Chicago looks historically bad. And the offensive line (which he built) was basically a disaster.

GM's rarely survive going 14-37, no matter how bad the owner is.

• Like 1

I always forget that Magic Johnson is a part-owner of the Commanders.  While he'd be a fantastic person for players to talk to about becoming successful businessmen after they retire, I hope they're not stupid enough to take his football suggestions seriously.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Given that Harris is there, I wouldn't be surprised if that's what happens. However, 11 times out of ten, I would take that scenario over at least most of what occurred from the end of the previous millennium to a period not too long ago.

• Like 1
(edited)
17 hours ago, Calvada said:

If I were with Saints ownership, I'd fine every player who was out there for that final play for insubordination.

The owners don't care that Winston is a rapist, so I'm sure they don't care he, in a rivalry game, led a successful one-snap mutiny against the coach that is probably about to be fired anyway -- and they'll be supported by the fans at large, it seems; all the articles from Saints-oriented publications I've seen are irate Allen apologized and "threw his players under the bus".  What a world.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 7

What a world indeed.  

Aaron Rodgers says the Jets need to "flush the bullshit" in order to be competitive next season, that they need to eliminate distractions.  He really cannot see that he was the ultimate distraction all season long.  In these same comments with reporters, he declined to comment on what he said about Kimmel last week, because he's going to address it during his regular appearance with McAfee tomorrow.  Look in the mirror, Aaron.  

• Like 10
  • Applause 1
19 hours ago, mojoween said:

Have to say it’s a surprise that Kansas City is the team getting shuffled off to Peacock.

I saw someone speculating about this on Threads and they half joked that NBC/Peacock is betting on the Swifties to bring in big bucks to watch the game.

• LOL 2

Belichick is still employed.  There are still 6.5 hours left, but I hardly think a guy like Bill would get booted on the same day as several people

• Like 1

Well, for me, I won't pay for Peacock unless it has my team, and I would expect local coverage, so I won't need it.  (fingers crossed).  If something exciting happens, I can catch one of the multiple replays on the NFL network.

It would be interesting to see how many people do sign up, though.

11 minutes ago, emma675 said:

I saw someone speculating about this on Threads and they half joked that NBC/Peacock is betting on the Swifties to bring in big bucks to watch the game.

Seems like a lot of people will be signing up for their 7 day free Peacock trial on Friday and cancelling by Monday.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
2 hours ago, Calvada said:

What a world indeed.  

Aaron Rodgers says the Jets need to "flush the bullshit" in order to be competitive next season, that they need to eliminate distractions.  He really cannot see that he was the ultimate distraction all season long.  In these same comments with reporters, he declined to comment on what he said about Kimmel last week, because he's going to address it during his regular appearance with McAfee tomorrow.  Look in the mirror, Aaron.  

Talk abt the pot calling the kettle black.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, meowmommy said:
18 minutes ago, emma675 said:

Seems like a lot of people will be signing up for their 7 day free Peacock trial on Friday and cancelling by Monday.

Wait until they find out that it's been done away with.

17 minutes ago, Carey said:

Wait until they find out that it's been done away with.

https://www.peacockfreetrial.com/

Try Peacock for free for 7 days now

Peacock is the exclusive new home for your favorite movies and TV shows from Universal Pictures and Universal Television. Peacock offers tons of entertainment you can watch for free. Start streaming today with a special free trial offer - available for a limited time only.

Try the new Peacock streaming service for free for the next 7 days when you start your free trial.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/peacock-tv-free-trial/

Q: Is there a Peacock TV free trial?

A: Just like there’s no Disney Plus free trial, as of now, there’s no Peacock TV free trial for the paid plans. The paid Peacock plans include the Premium and Plus tiers, which ring in at $6 per month or $12 per month, respectively. You can also pay for 10 months at once and Peacock will give you the last two months of the year for free. These packages give you complete access to the full library of Peacock shows, channels, and movies. The only differences between the two is that the $12 per month Peacock Plus plan is ad-free and allows you to download and watch select shows and movies offline.

(edited)

It’s 6 bucks a month, the price of a Starbucks. If you don’t want to pay it then don’t watch the game, there are other good games on cable. If you want to fork the 6 bucks over, there are some great TV shows to watch on there to get your money’s worth. At least their local fans can still watch it. 

Edited by twoods
  • Like 3
  • Love 1
(edited)

Aaron Rodgers declaring that he wants to get all of the bullshit out of the building…

So when’s he leaving?

Edited by mojoween
  • Like 7
  • Applause 10
  • LOL 1
19 hours ago, mojoween said:

Dammit.  Guess Wink and Dabs did hate each other.

I think it's more that Wink is old and cranky and thinks he's at a point in his career where he's not 100% open to "suggestions". So if his head coach does something like tell him that he's displeased with the job some of the other defensive coaches are doing and wants them to be replaced, Wink would rather quit than let somebody tell him what to do.

It's unfortunate because the Giants players do like Wink. On the other hand, the Giants had the youngest defense in the league this year, and while they were tied with Baltimore for the most takeaways (31) they were also 27th in Yards Allowed with an atrocious 4.7 yards per carry surrendered against the run.

I hope they make a thoughtful DC hire. I saw Brandon Staley's name tossed around, and I don't hate that idea. He was the rising star defensive coach after leading a great Rams defense in 2020 when he got that head coaching job at the age of 38 give or take. Head coach is a HARD job, especially when you don't have years of experience as a coordinator or college HC. I have a feeling that Staley is still a really smart defensive mind, and he would probably thrive as a coordinator for a couple years where he could just coach the unit and be free from all of the head coach crap.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
On 1/7/2024 at 8:33 PM, Calvada said:

If I were with Saints ownership, I'd fine every player who was out there for that final play for insubordination.

I think there is only reason they didn't cut Winston on the spot for what he did.

The Saints are one of the teams that plays extensively with void years to work around the salary cap. If they cut Winston, they would immediately take an additional $6M of cap hit in 2024. And since he'd be off the roster, they lose any ability to continue messing around with the void years on his contract for the $10M of dead money they're kicking down the road with him.

He's hitting next year's cap for $4.6M even though they're only paying him $1.2M. If they cut him (as they should) the cap hit goes up to $10.7M. 

The Saints made this bed with their salary cap shenanigans, and now they have to lie in it. 

winston.jpg

• Useful 2

Many players publicly supported Jameis so while there was probably some yelling by the coach, it’ll most likely blow over soon.

And then there was Brandon Jacobs, who said (paraphrased) “if Tom Coughlin told you to kneel, you knelt”.

So, the guy that they did all this for has a bit of a stain on that personal victory.  Not only from all the negative public feedback, but he also has to know that it was based on poor sportsmanship and deceit, basically making it a "gimmee."   I wonder how he feels about it.  I don't know if he made any public statements, but I wonder how he really feels.  Reminds me of a video I saw where an opposing team let a special needs kid score.  Sweet and touching in that video.  Not here.

• Like 3

Why is Rodgers not capable of simply saying “I shouldn’t have said that and I’m sorry I insinuated Jimmy Kimmel was a pedophile?”  He just can never be wrong.  

• Like 12
  • Applause 1
18 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Why is Rodgers not capable of simply saying “I shouldn’t have said that and I’m sorry I insinuated Jimmy Kimmel was a pedophile?”  He just can never be wrong.  

Because he thinks he knows it all.  Like Kimmel said last night, Rodgers thinks because God gave him the gift of throwing a ball, he knows wveryrhing abt everything.

Kimmel also stated that he'd accept Aaron's apology and move on.

McAffee barely got any questions in with Aaron's rant.  I'm surprised ESPN didn't put their foot down and state if Rodgers doesn't apologize he's no longer allowed a platform. 

• Like 10
1 hour ago, roamyn said:

Because he thinks he knows it all.  Like Kimmel said last night, Rodgers thinks because God gave him the gift of throwing a ball, he knows wveryrhing abt everything.

Kimmel also stated that he'd accept Aaron's apology and move on.

McAffee barely got any questions in with Aaron's rant.  I'm surprised ESPN didn't put their foot down and state if Rodgers doesn't apologize he's no longer allowed a platform. 

I loved how he eviscerated Rodgers:  "Aaron got two A's on his report card they were both in the word Aaron."

He also was serious talking about him and his family receiving threats.  

• Like 8
  • LOL 1
7 hours ago, Johannah said:

So, the guy that they did all this for has a bit of a stain on that personal victory.  Not only from all the negative public feedback, but he also has to know that it was based on poor sportsmanship and deceit, basically making it a "gimmee."   I wonder how he feels about it.  I don't know if he made any public statements, but I wonder how he really feels.  Reminds me of a video I saw where an opposing team let a special needs kid score.  Sweet and touching in that video.  Not here.

They did it for Jamaal Williams and he thinks it is wonderful that his teammates did this for him. Here's what Williams said:

"I appreciate my teammates for having my back and wanting to get me a touchdown to show the love to me. The reason it means so much to me is not because I scored and got a touchdown, but because my teammates wanted to get me a touchdown on the last play of what could be our last game. That right there shows me a lot about my teammates' character."

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

If they just did it without being in V formation, they wouldn’t get this much shit for it. I do think his team was looking out for him, but it was just bad sportsmanship. 

• Like 8
(edited)
10 hours ago, mojoween said:

"Dear Asshole...", tweeted Jimmy Kimmel to Aassron Rodgers. And then he got into it. Rodgers accused him of drinking the blood of babies, then asking WHY do you people have to resort to character defamation, slander and libel because you oppose a legitimate argument about vaccines and Covid. Same ol' stuff.

Edited by gimmyqueue
clarity
  • Fire 2
9 hours ago, twoods said:

If they just did it without being in V formation, they wouldn’t get this much shit for it. I do think his team was looking out for him, but it was just bad sportsmanship. 

My question is if they are in the V formation can the defense go after the ball? Because it doesn't seem fair the offense can do something like that but the defense can't do anything but stand there and lose.

11 hours ago, Calvada said:

"I appreciate my teammates for having my back and wanting to get me a touchdown to show the love to me. The reason it means so much to me is not because I scored and got a touchdown, but because my teammates wanted to get me a touchdown on the last play of what could be our last game. That right there shows me a lot about my teammates' character."

1 hour ago, Chit Chat said:

It certainly does, but not in a good way.  :(

Yeah I don't think he understands what character is.

15 hours ago, mojoween said:

Same reason someone like Jameis Winston can disregard what his coach says and does whatever the fuck he wants.  Really good football players (and I am of course not saying all good football players) are treated differently and they think the rules don't apply to them.  People have been fired for saying things that weren't as bad as what Rodgers has said over the years.   He is trying to walk back his comments now saying he didn't mean Kimmel specifically but the Hollywood corruption overall.  Sure Jan.

• Like 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, bluegirl147 said:

My question is if they are in the V formation can the defense go after the ball? Because it doesn't seem fair the offense can do something like that but the defense can't do anything but stand there and lose.

Pretty sure they can, but it's a sportsmanship understanding that, we won't try to run up the score if you don't tackle us so we can all avoid injuries.   They're all standing around because there are unwritten rules.  Hell, you get a penalty if someone doesn't report eligible or the wrong guy runs downfield - and the defense is at least ready to defend in those plays.  Here, they aren't ready.

Once teams start ignoring that understanding, it makes victory formation moot for both sides.  Poor, poor sportsmanship and downright tacky.

And I get that the guy praises his teammates, because vilifying them publicly wouldn't be good for team morale, but I wonder how he really feels, especially now if he's hearing all the negative implications.  It's a hollow victory, not really earned and, frankly, how many people are going to celebrate this one touchdown as opposed to how many just remember a team's poor sportsmanship?   I don't even know the guy's name even though it was mentioned above, but I remember the team's tackiness.

Edited by Johannah
  • Like 2
8 minutes ago, Johannah said:

It's a hollow victory, not really earned and, frankly, how many people are going to celebrate this one touchdown as opposed to how many just remember a team's poor sportsmanship?   I don't even know the guy's name even though it was mentioned above, but I remember the team's tackiness

That is exactly my thoughts.  It was one touchdown.  What does that get the him?  Like you said you don't remember his name.  But five, ten years from now someone will bring this up and they will say the Saints did that.   My coworker brought up the fact if that score had affected the betting on the game with regards to the spread a lot more people would have been outraged.

• Like 3