Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

I’m rooting for the Bears (sorry Lamb), the very LEAST they could do is move forward?  I’ve never seen an offense like this.

Nice 12-10 win for the Bears. Yay. 😒

Other than the last 6 minutes, this game was straight up torture. 

The chargers can change coaches, players, qb, front office, city but they are forever it seems doomed to mediocrity. 

The Chargers can stay in mediocrity forever for all I care. There is no good reason to ever see the Chargers win a Super Bowl. 

And speaking of that.

Frank Reich fired.

Not surprising. Now the terrible owner who is 0-2 on coaching hires had to do it again.

I've got to hand it to David Tepper. He's somehow made the 5-10 Charlotte Hornets the toast of the town. 🙄

He seems very charming. Like touching a cactus type of charming. Hopefully, he will never ever see a Carolina Panthers Super Bowl win.

Edited by Magog
  • Like 1

I just read an article by Yahoo that Chicago won the game, nut there's still a little under 2 minutes left. ???

Oh I know what happened. I record all the Vikings games. I was a little late in watching, and when I turned the game on, it started at the beginning of the decording instead of where the game was in real time.

Now that I know who won I might as well turn it off.

Edited by Lamb18
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

If you've even dealt with a complex puzzle, you might understand the frustration.  However, that pales in comparison to the complex nature of the NFC North.  Man, I hate that division right now

I don't hate it. Dodgers near the top, Raiders in sort of the lower middle section instead of down at the very bottom, which was better than I'd expected.

If only the Giants and Jets would do better, maybe GRRM would have actually finished Winds of Winter by now. (Just kidding, I know he'll never finish.)

• Wink 1
  • LOL 2

Forget playoff contenders, injury reports, coaches being fired - isn't it obvious the big story this week in the NFL is whether Taylor Swift and Simone Biles will both be at Lambeau Field Sunday night?  (Rolling my eyes so much I may have done permanent damage.)  

The (other) top Packers story in Wisconsin today is about Aaron Rodgers sending a message to Jordan Love after Love's good performance on Thanksgiving Day.  The local spin is how nice Rodgers is to do this, what a difference to how Favre treated Rodgers after that transition, but I cannot help but think that whenever Rodgers comments about Love, he is doing so because he just can't stand not being a part of the story.  I wonder what Love thinks about Rodgers pontificating about him, praising him when he does well, urging patience by the fans when he struggles.  It's not enough for Rodgers to make weekly statements about his own status; he still has to be part of coverage of the Packers.  

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Calvada said:

Forget playoff contenders, injury reports, coaches being fired - isn't it obvious the big story this week in the NFL is whether Taylor Swift and Simone Biles will both be at Lambeau Field Sunday night? 

I'm actually working on my proposal to send to Goodell about starting a permanent league matchmaking service. Me and my team of public relations professionals, relationship gurus, and astrological matchmaking experts will see to it that every NFL team has a minimum of 2 celebrity love interests at all times. 

We plan to set up Wink Martindale with Cher. We think that sparks would fly between Jake Elliott and Dua Lipa. We're pretty sure we can see to it that by the end of the 2024 season, no NFL game will go without at least 45-60 seconds of panning to a celebrity in a luxury box over the three hour broadcast.

I'm thinking I could probably ask for a starting salary of at least $250K plus incentives.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

Looks like Von Miller will be in police custody within 12 hours if he isn't already there.  Despite the jokes on how he finally got a hit this year, Buffalo has been disappointing this season.

Plus, no joke on what Von is a suspect for.  Walking away is always a good start.

There are no winners when it comes to domestic violence, period.  BTW, I don't subscribe to the innocent until proven guilty crap.  When it comes to breaking the law or bad behavior, it's you're a suspect until either convicted or acquitted.

All 124 teams in pro sports, sorted by highest win percentage since 2019. Where do your teams stand?

I'll just go ahead and start at the end and work my way backward ... oh, look, it took me a mere five spots.  <sigh>

• Hugs 1
  • Sad 1
1 minute ago, mojoween said:

Fuck kinda bullshit schedule gives Dallas two Thursday home games in a row?  Yes I know it’s actually a detriment to them but fuck Dallas.

Seattle’s unis, on the other hand…😍

"Kinda bullshit?!"  No.  That's total bullshit.  Period.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

Fuck kinda bullshit schedule gives Dallas two Thursday home games in a row?  Yes I know it’s actually a detriment to them but fuck Dallas.

Seattle’s unis, on the other hand…😍

How is it a detriment?  They got a week's rest and will have a longer rest before next week's game and get to play nationally televised games in front of their home crowd.  I might be missing the downside...

Good news is, they are losing at halftime.  I expected to be turning it off by now.

eta: I just want to thank the officials for calling back the Seahawks touchdowns before the half until my fantasy team player was the one to score.

3rd qtr:  wait!  Touchdown by Geno, maybe the flag is because my player didn't score it.  Nah.  

Edited by Johannah

FYI: For the first time, the Monday Night Football flex comes into play, with New England/Kansas City being replaced by Seattle/Philadelphia.  More info per ESPN.

Also on that page is information related to 3 of the 5 games that were labeled as pending or candidates for a Saturday move for Week 15.

Dallas can go to hell.  Of course, when I actually find pleasure toward a win from them, they still win, but not by enough for it to count

• Useful 1
6 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Because it can't be said enough, FUCK DALLAS. 

Only good thing about yesterday is no Dallas again on Sunday with a bonus no Tony Romo.  Score!

7 hours ago, Johannah said:

How is it a detriment? 

You are right, it was not.  I don’t know what I was thinking.  And I probably should have complained about Seattle getting a second Thursday in a row too, but fuck Dallas.

• Like 6

Well, Von Miller has officially been arrested.  So much for being a HOF lock.

Speaking of a lock, that's pretty much the case for Philadelphia for the postseason.  I saw mixed results that they clinched it last week.  In somewhat of a relation to my first sentence in this post, it could be a letdown against the Niners if they lose on Sunday.  We'll see.  I think I the Eagles might be tough to beat.  Not just due to the venue, but the fact that they might need to win in order to have a decent hold on not just the top seed in the conference, but first place in their division

Both the Eagles and Niners are highly motivated and I think this game should be good and competitive, barring any major injuries that happen early in the game...like last season...

That said, I kinda wouldn't want to win this game if I were either team. This is a likely rematch in the playoffs, and I feel like so often, the team that lost in the regular season wins the rematch in the playoffs. I don't know if it's something to do with the losing team getting extra motivation to win next time, or if the losing coach purposely saves some stuff for the playoffs, or the winning team gets overconfident...

That statistic is worth a review.  For the NFC, that's a vaild point.  Especially with New York.  They 2007 & 2011 teams lost to teams they'd achieve payback on, including Dallas & Green Bay.  OTOH, San Francisco beats up on Green Bay all the time.

In the AFC, it's different.  For the most part, the team that wins in the regular season wins again in the postseason.  It's less saving stuff and more winning all the time because the eventual winner is just simply much better

I feel like the Niners players REALLY want to win. They give off that kind of vibe. 

I think from a strategic standpoint, it would be the Eagles who benefit more from a win. It virtually guarantees the one seed, the opportunity to rest banged up players last week two, and the week off. But strategic reasons typically don’t motivate players. 

Still no confirmation that Taylor Swift will be at Lambeau (is Matt LaFleur an official source?) but Tony Shalhoub, Green Bay native and season ticket holder, will be there and has offered to share a bag of cheese curds with Taylor.  I'd love to see the Packers win this game, but overall the Chiefs are a better team.  I'm hopeful but realistic!  Unfortunately the bit of snow Wisconsin is getting today is predicted to end by game time.  There's nothing more fun than a game with some snow falling. 

I'm really looking forward to 49ers @ Eagles.  I'm glad it's not on CBS, since then it would have gotten Nantz & Romo and 3 hours of Tony Romo is torture.  

Even if it were on CBS Jim and Tony were given this weekend off.  Which is delightful (sorry Jim, it’s the albatross you’re hooked to, not you).

I was just trying to find one thing to have on the teevee to last until football (thank you for your expanded movies, Peter Jackson) and I wondered … games have been at one and fourish since I’ve been watching football, which feels perfect.  But does anyone know the history why we landed on those times?  I mean that’s still 10 on the west coast which feels early, but it’s great in the east.

While, on occasion, NFL games with an NFC visiting team & AFC visiting team end up on CBS and FOX, respectively, the only other channel you would have seen Eagles & 49ers was on NBC.  It's FOX and nothing else.  Yeah they recently had Cowboys/Niners on CBS within the past 2 years, but as good Bird/CD are, we know who would've been on the call in the even San Francisco & Philadelphia wound up on CBS.  Jim & Tracy worked Dallas & San Francisco; felt like a blast to the past for me with Pat & John calling big NFC Games on CBS

My winners picks include Denver, Pittsburgh, Indianapolis, Chargers, Carolina, New Orleans, Miami, Jets, Cleveland, Philadelphia, Kansas City, and Jacksonville.  Those final four teams all cover.  I do see the over hitting in the Eagles/Niners & Jaguars/Bengals games, while the under is the spot for the Rams/Browns game as well as the KC/Packers game

Other than maybe the Bengals game 2 weeks from Saturday, I don't have any confidence that Pittsburgh wins anything else going forward starting tomorrow.  Last week was refreshing, but they still have to do more offensively.  The defense is great, but teams are still having their way at least once or twice.  It only takes one point (or 2-3) to win if an offense does nothing.

I might be wrong down the road for doing the following, but I'll stick a fork in Cleveland if they lose (and look bad).  Unless Garrett is a non-factor, in which case I'll forgo doing so.  Probably should anyway, we'll see.  Eagles/Niners is not that easy to forecast.  I can see either winning, but both probably need the DUB.

Kansas City might not cover, but I think they will due to doing enough.  Love has been better lately, but this defense is better than Detroit's defense.  The extra rest & venue does help Green Bay though.  Speaking of help, what helps Jacksonville is the venue and a Burrow-free game

18 minutes ago, Carey said:

Kansas City might not cover, but I think they will due to doing enough.  Love has been better lately, but this defense is better than Detroit's defense.  The extra rest & venue does help Green Bay though.  Speaking of help, what helps Jacksonville is the venue and a Burrow-free game

Yes, KC's defense is better than Detroit's and unfortunately for the Packers, Patrick Mahomes will be the opposing QB tonight, not Jared Goff.  It seems unlikely Mahomes will gift the Packers the ball 3 times.   

Are there any 1pm games today that are not going to be nap-inducing? 

I can't even get remotely excited about Broncos - Texans because they're both unrootable & Lions - Saints is OK, but meh.

10 minutes ago, Magog said:

Are there any 1pm games today that are not going to be nap-inducing? 

I can't even get remotely excited about Broncos - Texans because they're both unrootable & Lions - Saints is OK, but meh.

Fortunately there is a four-hour !?!??! Sunday Selection show on another network that'll be over in time for Niners/Eagles.

Plus...there is the Tuscaloosa Police Scanner to tune into if/when necessary

Well every time I look up Houston has the ball, not even sure how that is happening.

Even the Syracuse market has given up on the J E T S Jets Jets Jets. Instead of FOX showing NY/Atlanta, they are airing Miami/Washington.  Which I have less than zero interest in, so Denver/Houston it is.

Edited by mojoween
4 hours ago, mojoween said:

I was just trying to find one thing to have on the teevee to last until football (thank you for your expanded movies, Peter Jackson) and I wondered … games have been at one and fourish since I’ve been watching football, which feels perfect.  But does anyone know the history why we landed on those times?

Being an officially old person, I remember one and two o'clock games back in the day.  Games played on Central Time started at one pm local time, which was 2 pm in the east. 

I don't get the four-ish, considering how many years people complained about 4 pm ET games running too long and cutting into prime time programming.  They juggled commercial breaks, got halftime shortened, etc., to get the endings by 7 ET and yet now the marquee games start at 4:25 ET. 

Edited by meowmommy
  • Useful 1

Weather delay in Pittsburgh for the Steelers and Cardinals.  Probably the most exciting part of the day or game.

No joke though; this was speculated early in the morning in my area.  Smart for the NFL and company to take precaution, but I don't expect the game to be cancelled or delayed to another day

Edited by Carey
5 hours ago, mojoween said:

I mean that’s still 10 on the west coast which feels early,

It is early; that's when I start work during the week, so I'm sure as hell not waking up on the weekend.  The only time I set the alarm to see the first half (or at least most of it; I turn it on and then continue to doze a bit) of a morning game is if it's a) a crucial win for the Giants and b) we're getting the game in L.A.  Which means I've been sleeping in for a very long time.

• Like 2

Overtime in Tennessee was fun.  Shocked the hell out of myself by rooting for Indy, but Minshew Mania will do that to a person.  Felt bad for the Titans, though.

Curious, about one thing - if after a tackle your finger is stuck inside the guy’s face mask, isn’t that by definition a penalty?

• Like 1

Today would probably be a day to write off those teams that lose today & look bad doing so (except for Philadelphia & San Francisco).  Real winners find ways to win and/or look good now that it's December

The Chargers won 6-0 over the Patriots?!  What the hell?!!

I guess the Patriots and Steelers were looking ahead. Neither team needs to score for the outright dub on Thursday. They both suck that they'll find a way toward an actual negative score

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:
8 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

Niners are the most complete team in football right now. Whatever ailed Brock during that mid-season swoon, he seems to be over it now.

Niners had injuries to key players. They're healthy now. 

Plus, they got the Ohio Teams that both had the week off prior to their games that they got humiliated and cheated out of in terms of a win (in the opposite order).  The Vikings game was mind-blowing, but I did not look to see if 95% of the money went in the 49ers' favor.

Fuck the NFL, by the way.  Please do not pimp "competitive advantage" when your NFC West Champion are playing 3 teams in 2 weeks that had an open date before the matchup

• Like 1