Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

On 8/15/2023 at 7:29 AM, mojoween said:

Yeah somehow Sandra got caught up in all this like “she should give her Oscar back, she should have known the whole thing was made up” and I guess those people have never ever watched a scripted film before.

Sandra did her job. Which was to portray what was written on the page.  

The question is did the Tuoys do their job?

• Like 4

I heard about The Ravens preseason winning streak last year at least. I don’t know to what extent they try harder to win preseason games than other teams in terms of playing starters more or scheming more, or if they just execute better. 

2 hours ago, Fukui San said:

I heard about The Ravens preseason winning streak last year at least. I don’t know to what extent they try harder to win preseason games than other teams in terms of playing starters more or scheming more, or if they just execute better. 

I heard one of the guys who covers the team say that some of it has to do with the fact the Ravens put A LOT of work into the undrafted free agent kids every year, and that a result of that is that the team frequently finds contributors to the roster from the UDFA players.

And that is exactly who is on the field in the second half of preseason games. The guys who are 52-90 on the depth chart. They also probably do well in the special teams battles in preseason for the same reason. They put a lot of work into roster depth.

The Ravens of late barely play ANY starters in any preseason game, and yet the win streak goes on. 

I think there is also a luck component. The guys playing in the fourth quarter of these games for both teams have a large percentage of player who will be working regular jobs in September. They're not exactly the crispest bunch of players. Weird plays happen. Footballs bounce off of hands and heads. Big special teams plays happen. Yet somehow since 2016, none of those plays went against the Ravens in a way that cost them a game.

• Useful 1

Domonique Foxworth said yesterday that it’s the best record to have that means absolutely nothing (and I didn’t look to see his last year with the Ravens, he might have even been a part of a few).  He said that if you make a big deal of it, other players will mock you when you lose during the regular season.

On an unrelated note, and this is highly likely to be amusing to only me, but when I see the word “offensive” in a headline about Dalvin Cook and then the words “offensive tackle” in an article about the Bills, in my head those words are pronounced differently.  And then I giggle to myself and read the rest of the sports page.

If anything, Baltimore's massive winning streak is outstanding in a negative way.  The Ravens health has been a major issue in each of the past 2 seasons.  They are a rather significant reason why Cincinnati has grabbed the division title from their grasp

1 hour ago, Carey said:

If anything, Baltimore's massive winning streak is outstanding in a negative way.  The Ravens health has been a major issue in each of the past 2 seasons.  They are a rather significant reason why Cincinnati has grabbed the division title from their grasp

It sounds like since they lost JK Dobbins in the 2021 preseason, Harbaugh has switch to a strategy of starters playing very little or not at all. To be fair, many teams started to go that route last year with the drop to three games, so the Ravens aren't alone. 

They've definitely been NY Giants like with their injuries the last two years. 

Here is 2021 (Woo hoo! We're number one!):

image.thumb.png.da84c042afce96ed593ef7fbf3ac80f8.png

And here in 2022 they're both in that big pile middle-right side, as in bad, but not the worst:image.thumb.png.09743269fca1454c868592b47cef260e.png

Baltimore's biggest problem is that their QB is adding to these totals at the end of the season. Hard to win games when SUCH an important player is out in December and January.

• Like 3
7 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Like I said, if the records exist, produce them.    Yes there is a court process but if this is a shakedown, the best way to get ahead of it is to release the info.   If there is a trust for him, its simple to prove that.

Yes, I understand all that; I'm just updating as each side speaks.  Right now, they've claimed documents exist, but none have yet been produced.

I side-eyed these people based on the glorified version of them presented in the movie, then harder shortly after when I learned which parts were fake, and now even harder as new revelations and allegations come to light.  They used him.  What they're legally culpable for, we'll see.  But they used him.  That's true whether or not they did hold actual affection for him; the two can co-exist.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 5

I completely believe oher over the blind side. Hollywood is shady on all these 'fictionalized' movies and just make s*** up when needed. I know this is over more than just the truthfulness of the movie.  But still is upsetting. Dallas buyers club did the same in opposite way. Movie is not at all what happened. 

• Like 1

The Tuohys are fine with conservatorship ending ... they say.   But nothing has been actually filed to that effect.    All Oher has filed for right now is to end the conservatorship and for an accounting of the conservatorship.   So if this is a shakedown, its a real interesting one since he has not asked for anything except those two things.

Now the interesting thing is apparently they waived having an attorney appointed for Michael when the conservatorship was started.   I didn't even know that was possible.   The whole point of the attorney is to make sure the conservateee's rights are protected and he WON'T BE TAKEN ADVANTAGE BY THOSE SEEKING CONSERVATORSHIP.   This is to make sure the person knows what is going on and has someone other than the person seeking conservatorship telling him what is going on.    Usually it is someone appointed by the court who does this kind of work regularly, not a family friend.   Also usually in conservatorships you have to file a yearly accounting WITH THE COURT of the property of the estate of the person.    Supposedly so the court can review it and catch any wrongdoing (we saw how well that worked for Britney).    Surprise, surprise, not a single accounting -- since 2004.   In my state, they issue a order to show up in court and explain yourself if you don't file -- even if the estate consists of nothing.   

I think I've said this before, but I will say it again, if the Tuohys were making deals as the conservator then ALL the money from the deals went to Oher, not themselves and their kids.   So there should have been quite a chunk of change in the conservatorship.   

Edited by merylinkid
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1

I’ve signed conservatorships before, and you need to have a very long document signed by a doctor stating how mentally capable the 18 year old is, and their medical and mental health problems. I’m wondering how they got a doctor on board to fill this form out for a person that clearly doesn’t have any medical or mental health issues at that time. This is all so sad.

• Sad 1
  • Useful 2
6 minutes ago, twoods said:

I’ve signed conservatorships before, and you need to have a very long document signed by a doctor stating how mentally capable the 18 year old is, and their medical and mental health problems. I’m wondering how they got a doctor on board to fill this form out for a person that clearly doesn’t have any medical or mental health issues at that time. This is all so sad.

Apparently the filling for the conservatorshp states clearly there is no physical or mental impairment.   So how a judge signed off on this I don't know.   A Power of Attorney is what you sign when you want someone to act on your behalf, but you are physically and mentally capable of doing so yourself.   But a POA wouldn't have let the Tuohys claim this was the only way to be responsible for him since he was an adult.   Again, the appointment of his own attorney to explain things to him would have helped so much.   The whole court system is giving off bad vibes.   How many other "conservatorships" are out there like this.   (and yes, I've followed the Murdaugh case closely so this is pretty damn close to the same thing).  

• Useful 3

Yea it all seems so shady and confusing. It’s hard enough for parents to get granted conservatorships when the person clearly cannot make decisions for themselves, so I can’t even fathom what the judge was thinking about Oher’s case, and why this was in his and his family’s best interest. 

I'm seeing more articles today about the Cowboys getting in camp fights with each other, which follows previous articles about the DBs barking not very nice things at Dak after a play.

And these aren't just fringe guys, these are Micah Parsons and Tyler Biadasz and Trevon Diggs who are throwing punches and telling the starting QB to "Shut yo b—h a– up”. 

The team has a lot of talent, but I'm not so sure about the leadership. 

The Jets had so many fights with day 1 of the scrimmage with the Bucs that they cancelled day 2 of the intersquad scrimmage. The Bucs had to practice by themselves hosted by the Giants' facilities.

The Patriots and Packers fought multiple times today, apparently, in their intersquad scrimmage.

Maybe this is just a thing that happens?

• Useful 1
On 8/16/2023 at 9:23 AM, JTMacc99 said:

The Ravens 24 game preseason winning streak, now in it's seventh year, is wild. I'm not sure if anybody made a big deal about it last year, but I'm seeing and hearing about it this year.  I think SI summed it up best:

The Baltimore Ravens have possibly the least meaningful but most interesting win streak in NFL history.

I don't know about a big deal, but it was mentioned last year.  As stated, it's a fun stat, but one every single one of us Ravens fans would trade for some post-season wins.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Fukui San said:

The Jets had so many fights with day 1 of the scrimmage with the Bucs that they cancelled day 2 of the intersquad scrimmage. The Bucs had to practice by themselves hosted by the Giants' facilities.

The Patriots and Packers fought multiple times today, apparently, in their intersquad scrimmage.

Maybe this is just a thing that happens?

Yes, the joint practices can be very chippy. You have to have very strong coaches to make sure that doesn't happen.

The Cowboys, on the other hand, are fighting exclusively with each other

Also for what it's worth, the reporters said that Coach Saleh announced he had cancelled the second joint practice the day before the first practice "for safety reasons because the second practices tend to get chippy and have more injuries."

Apparently THAT plan backfired horribly. Heh. I see this quote about it from Mike Evans:

“That’s the most [fights] I’ve ever seen,” wide receiver Mike Evans said. “I don’t know if it’s because we were only going to practice against them one day or what. But this is the most I’ve ever seen in a joint practice, and I’ve had a lot of joint practices in my (10-year) career."

So even though the Bucs were warned ahead of time about the second practice being cancelled, it was too late for them to rearrange travel plans so the Giants let them have the facility for the day. I think the Giants were taking a day off, so it was easy enough.

Fights are bad this year.   An assistant coach with the Jets was injured breaking up a fight.   There's chippy and then there's fighting.   Too many coaches see the fighting as a sign of intensity instead of a lack of discipline.   Fighting in preseason needs to be treated like fighting in a game.   That will stop this stuff before some player gets injured and is out for the season.

Yes, the Cowboys lack leadership, which is one of their problems in coming together as a team and really gelling to make a post season run.   And you know?   Because the stupid GM plays favorites and the players know it.   The stupid GM lets his favorites bypass the coaching structure and come straight to him.    Now hether Dak does it or not, not sure, but the players still know the coaches don't really matter so why listen to them.   

1 hour ago, merylinkid said:

Too many coaches see the fighting as a sign of intensity instead of a lack of discipline. 

Interestingly enough, there were zero altercations between the Giants and Lions during their two days of joint practices. Almost entirely because they have VERY intense head coaches who made it clear that it wouldn't be tolerated for exactly the reason you said. 

Heh. Dan Campbell:

Dan Campbell Yes GIF by Detroit Lions

and Brian Daboll:

image.thumb.png.16a7eeaa3c144fe5e69051e0f5cb9369.png

And really good points about the Cowboys and the problem comes from the top down. I hope it never changes.

• Like 5

Very scary scene at the Patriots @ Packers game tonight.  An injury suffered to Isaiah Bolden, Patriots rookie, when colliding with a teammate.  He appeared to be knocked out, they immobilized him, took him off on a stretcher.  The teams agreed to call the game at that point, with about 10 minutes left in the 4th quarter, after a lengthy delay.  Not sure if it's a head injury, neck injury, or both.  Patriots have said he has feeling in his extremities.  

The two teams had several fights during their joint practices this week, had a scuffle during the pregame, almost had a fight during the game after a late hit on Jordan Love, and they ended the game with both teams on the field hugging each other.  

• Sad 2

Good news, Bolden was released from the hospital after an overnight evaluation.   He is flying home with the team.   So it looks like he is okay.

But in light of this, the Pats cancelled the joint practices they were going to have with the Titans in Tennessee and will instead just fly in for the game.   

Bucs QB Wolford was also stretchered off.   I'm really hoping all these stretchers are just out of an abundance of caution.   Which I am fine with.   Better to be extra careful than be all "walk it off, its just a stinger."

• Like 8
1 hour ago, merylinkid said:

I'm really hoping all these stretchers are just out of an abundance of caution.   Which I am fine with.   Better to be extra careful than be all "walk it off, its just a stinger."

I think you're correct -- what happened to Damar Hamlin was a bit of a wake-up call and teams more vigilance when it comes to injuries that perhaps have potential to escalate into something more serious. 

• Like 6

The Angels and Dodgers both played doubleheaders yesterday because of this terrible weather. I know there aren’t many fans at the game, but it’s raining very hard and the wind has picked up. Do better, Chargers.

• Like 1

As a fan of a team that had its playoff game pushed up 7 hours more than six years ago over speculation/concerns over the weather (ending up not a big deal), this was a little annoying to see this game play out.  I couldn't agree more that this game should've been played at a different time or elsewhere (or cancel it).  The situation is a big deal.

Of course one has to be extra careful with a postseason game since that is a big deal, but other than injuries, nothing counts in the preseason, period

• Like 2

Giants traded a 7th round pick to Arizona for Isaiah Simmons today. 

In theory, he's a talented player without a position. In practice, he was drafted 8th overall in 2020 and has never really played up to that potential. 

Is it Arizona never putting him in a position to be his best, or is it that he is who we have seen on the field?

My guess is that the Giants are going to use him as a depth player mostly as an edge rusher. The team is pretty thin at that spot and Simmons has interesting upside if they just tell him "This is your job, let's get you concentrating on being the best you can be at it."

• Useful 1

Well, football "returns" before the professional segment of the sport goes on a 10-day break.  I will not be watching tonight; on a related note, while I may be in the minority, I so cannot wait for 18 or 20 games per season.

For me on a sole & emotional level, the optimism or lack of optimism depends on the outcome at Mercedes Benz Stadium tonight

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Carey said:

Well, football "returns" before the professional segment of the sport goes on a 10-day break.  I will not be watching tonight; on a related note, while I may be in the minority, I so cannot wait for 18 or 20 games per season.

Do we think 18 happens between now and the next CBA, or is that not happening for like another 8 years?  Because 18 games and the SB on Presidents Day weekend is clearly the target. 

I think it's more probable than not (albeit slightly).  An odd number of games just seems short-term.  So I imagine they'll probably finish the 4-year loop of that 5th AFC/NFC matchup before moving to 18 in 2025.  Otherwise, it restarts again with whatever the matchups were in 2021.

If & when there's a reason (for the players) to tweak the CBA before the end of the decade, you'll see the league get that 18-game schedule that's going to happen in the future anyway.  Furthermore, if it does occur in the next couple of years, it would eliminate that Valentine's Day conflict when we get to Super Bowl LXI.

As mentioned, Presidents Day is the target.  However, I'm not a fan of that.  I hate to say it, and I'm sorry to say it, but if that's the plan, that makes the NFL a little tone deaf.  They'll spin it as people being off the day after the big game, following a season where their big 3 days of NFL action are all on worknights/school-nights (Monday, Thursday, Sunday).

It's similar to Columbus Day & Veterans Day.  It's a holiday for banks & the USPS, but it's not on the level of Memorial Day, The 4th, and Labor Day.  Not everybody is off that day..  I still love the 18-game thing (and the 20 games if THAT ever happens), but pushing the season end back to adjust is not the only solution.  OTOH, if the target is to have the Super Bowl one week before Selection Sunday, so be it

I become less and less interested in the NFL as I get older.  All though super Jets fan Joe Bengino is still a laugh riot IMO and will keep me tuned into the Jets.  

This has to be my favorite rant loss of his

• Like 1
  • Love 1

As much as I'll be okay with 18 & 20 games, I'm with mojo: SIXTEEN was perfect. 

So was the 12-team postseason.  The statistic of "how weird" is was for the 2 seed to have the same benefit as the 1 seed made no sense. Except it did based on who said it. 

Several people weren't into the league when you had to win your division just to get into the playoffs.  They'd take a team from each conference that was the best among non-division winners, but no more.  The benefit was the same as MLB before their expansion: win your division, and you get a bye

• Like 2
On 8/26/2023 at 12:40 AM, Fukui San said:

Trey Lance to the Cowboys for a 4th. OF COURSE it’s Jerruh who goes for the shiny object. 

So who's out in Dallas?  Will Grier?

And who's the 3rd stringer in SF?

Good luck to Trey, but it sounds like he's in a wasteland instead of a place to revive his career.

• Like 1

I'm not sure it's a wasteland, but I do think there were better spots for him.  However, right now, this was the best deal San Francisco could get.  It will be bad news for Trey if Prescott is reasonably good.  Otherwise, Trey might have a chance to show something (or nothing) before Dallas has to make a decision on him.

We'll see, but I have to review the terms again

The Venn Diagram of the analysts who didn’t think Trey Lance was a very good football player last year and are *furious* at the 49ers for “wasting his opportunity” this year is a single circle.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, mojoween said:

The Venn Diagram of the analysts who didn’t think Trey Lance was a very good football player last year and are *furious* at the 49ers for “wasting his opportunity” this year is a single circle.

Seriously, all of these dickheads bemoaning Lance's lost opportunity this year were shitting all over him last year.  And, frankly, they were more correct last year since I don't think he's at all worth the hype, but Jerry will always Jerry.

Edited by NUguy514
  • Like 3

ESPN keeps playing a promo for Greeny’s show where he says “if one more person says it’s a privilege to play in the National Football League I’m going to bang my head against a wall”.

Now I want to go troll restaurants in NYC and if I saw him out, I would walk up and say “Greeny, it is an absolute privilege to play in the NFL” just to see  if I get the payoff.

• Like 1
  • LOL 6
On 8/26/2023 at 8:24 PM, mojoween said:

Graham Gano has been a Giant for a bit now and yet I’m *still* pissed at him for that time Carolina beat New York on a last-second like 80 yard field goal.

The football Gods needed to extract some payment from the Giants in exchange for the helmet catch. As such, this article from Giants.com explains that they are leading the world in last minute losses, including multiple million yard field goals...

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. – Losing an NFL game on a field goal as time expires is a dagger to the heart, a punch to the gut and any other metaphorical cliché used to describe athletic misery. 

Unfortunately, no team is more cognizant of those defeats than the Giants.

When Greg Joseph's 61-yard field goal cleared the uprights with no time remaining Saturday in U.S. Bank Stadium, the Giants were on the short end of a 27-24 decision after rallying from one deficit to take a lead and another to tie the score with just over two minutes remaining.

It was the ninth time in the last 10 seasons (2013-22) the Giants lost on a game-winning field goal with zero time remaining in the fourth quarter. According to the Elias Sports Bureau, that is the most such field goals against any team during that span.

The Giants' total doesn't count two other deciding kicks with one second on the clock, including the 63-yarder by Graham Gano at Carolina on Oct. 7, 2018, that is the longest field goal ever kicked against the Giants. Gano, now the Giants' kicker, also has one of the time-expiring game-winners, a 43-yarder for the Panthers on Dec. 20, 2015.

While the Giants have lost nine games on final-play field goals in the last 10 years, they have been victorious in … one. On Sept. 18, 2016, Josh Brown kicked a 23-yard field goal as the game clock hit all zeroes to give the Giants a 16-13 victory against the New Orleans Saints. It is one of just three field goals as time expired in the fourth quarter the Giants have kicked since 1990 

With that last line about it dating back to 1990, maybe this is payment for the wide-right kick in SuperBowl XXV.

• Sad 1

Just saw a post from ESPN saying Hamlin survived the cut.  Or maybe it was him making the roster.  I guess it's news, but IMO, I'll guess that it would've been messed up if he didn't make the roster.

On a related note, Miller should be on the roster too, but just not right away.  We'll see after four weeks

On 8/28/2023 at 10:01 AM, mojoween said:

ESPN keeps playing a promo for Greeny’s show where he says “if one more person says it’s a privilege to play in the National Football League I’m going to bang my head against a wall”.

Now I want to go troll restaurants in NYC and if I saw him out, I would walk up and say “Greeny, it is an absolute privilege to play in the NFL” just to see  if I get the payoff.

Better yet Greeny, I'll just bang your head against the wall, k?

• Like 1
  • LOL 4
On 8/29/2023 at 4:15 PM, Carey said:

On a related note, Miller should be on the roster too, but just not right away.  We'll see after four weeks

Like all of the AFC East teams, they don't exactly have an easy schedule and the sooner he gets back, the better. 

Their first four games that he'll definitely miss are

• At Jets
  • Raiders
  • At Commanders
  • Dolphins

After that they've got

• Jaguars
  • Giants
  • At Patriots
  • Bucs (Everybody in the AFC East gets one game against the NFC South, which is nice.)

At which point the schedule goes from challenging to oof with a second half of 

• At Bengals
  • Broncos
  • Jets
  • At Eagles
  • At Chiefs
  • Cowboys
  • At Chargers
  • Patriots
  • At Dolphins.