Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, mojoween said:

All these pundits hedging and saying Burrow and Mahomes are 1a and 1b are laaaaame.  Make a stand! Pick a side!

After the game they will all say they knew the winning QB was 1A.

https://www.sportingnews.com/ca/nfl/news/tom-brady-retirement-update-status-podcast-profanity/xjyqpoqro8vmdjcthnye0xmo

Tom got testy but it's a valid question.  He is going to be a free agent.  The Bucs and any team interested in signing him need to know if he is even going to be playing.  

• Like 1

Late to the comments because not only did my Cowboys lose but I got Covid.   THANKS DALLAS.

WHAT THE HELL was that last play?   You are down by 7, closing SECONDS and you run a gadget play?

But what really got me?   KELLEN FRICKING MOORE who designed that stupid play is being considered for HC for the Panthers.   Like did you NOT see how offense all season?    This is not someone who is ready to be an HC.   He's not even a decent OC.

• Hugs 2
  • Sad 1
55 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

Late to the comments because not only did my Cowboys lose but I got Covid.   THANKS DALLAS.

I’m sorry for your terrible, debilitating affliction and also for catching Covid. 

• LOL 22
2 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

Tom got testy but it's a valid question.  He is going to be a free agent.  The Bucs and any team interested in signing him need to know if he is even going to be playing.  

Maybe TB is as sick of hearing about himself as we are!!  Seriously though, I know he gets a lot of hate, but he doesn't control the media coverage around him.  He'd probably like for them to back off and let him unwind from the season, but every analyst wants to be the one to break the story of what he decides to do.  

We do not expect him to stay in Tampa, so if he does, that will be somewhat of a surprise.  It's a double-edge sword having TB on your team.  It's great that he brought a new energy to the Bucs, but then there's so much media hype around the guy that the focus on the team gets lost.  We just hope that he doesn't go to one of our rivals that we'll have to play once or twice a year!

1 hour ago, merylinkid said:

Sorry about you catching Covid.  As far as Dallas losing........

1 hour ago, merylinkid said:

But what really got me?   KELLEN FRICKING MOORE who designed that stupid play is being considered for HC for the Panthers.   Like did you NOT see how offense all season?    This is not someone who is ready to be an HC.   He's not even a decent OC.

Maybe nobody better wants to be Carolina's head coach.

18 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

Seriously though, I know he gets a lot of hate, but he doesn't control the media coverage around him.

This was on his own podcast.  Was he really surprised someone would ask? I said in an earlier post I don't like celebrity QBs and one reason is because of this

20 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

but then there's so much media hype around the guy that the focus on the team gets lost. 

21 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

We just hope that he doesn't go to one of our rivals that we'll have to play once or twice a year!

When Cleveland got rid of Baker Mayfield a lot of Cleveland fans were afraid he would go to Pittsburgh and be awesome. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, bluegirl147 said:

When Cleveland got rid of Baker Mayfield a lot of Cleveland fans were afraid he would go to Pittsburgh and be awesome. 

Usually when a QB leaves the Bucs for another team, they do great with the other team!  I'd expect no less from TB.  

Was he really surprised someone would ask?

Probably not, but the guy asking him knows that he's not going to give him a straight answer at this time!  It's an obvious question that TB isn't going to answer until he's ready.  He's probably frustrated with being asked that fifty times a day! 

1 minute ago, ChitChat said:

It's an obvious question that TB isn't going to answer until he's ready. 

And even when he answers how do we know if he will keep his word?

I swear to god he better not announce till after the SB.

• Like 5

I wouldn't mind it if he announced it between this time a week from now & one week from Sunday.  Otherwise...I'd be so to the point where I'd buy Jerry Jones a drink (well) before buying TB12 a drink

7 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Covid was my gift a week before Christmas.   Not only are you feeling miserable, but then your team goes and lets you down.  Bummer!  Hope you feel better soon.

• Like 1

Merylinkid, as much as I "joke" about your team (after all, there's a big piece of history between your team and mine), I feel bad that you got COVID.  Fan feuds in sports are what they are, but at the end of the day, it's just a sport.  It's just a game.  Real life matters; without it there would be no football.  Or much anything else.  Get better & stay well.

• Like 7

@Careythank you for the kind words.   It's true it's just a game.  After the final whistle, win or lose, life goes on.   But @Fukui Sanwins with the best comment.   I burst out laughing.   Which thankfully was not painful.   It really feels just like a bad cold.   Sneezing, running nose, some coughing.  I am vaxxed and double boosted.

Topic:   Tom Brady is just pissed he is being treated like everyone else FINALLY instead of getting special treatment.   Brady you tried to trip the guy.   that is against the rules, you were rightly fined.   It's a safety issue -- just like someone breathing heavily in your general direction gets flagged for roughing the passer.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
9 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

Topic:   Tom Brady is just pissed he is being treated like everyone else FINALLY instead of getting special treatment.   Brady you tried to trip the guy.   that is against the rules, you were rightly fined.   It's a safety issue -- just like someone breathing heavily in your general direction gets flagged for roughing the passer.

All of this.  Brady always complains to the refs anytime a defensive player gets a finger on him.  I honestly think he thinks he should be treated differently.

On 1/22/2023 at 9:08 PM, Carey said:

Despite my post, I actually & totally agree with you.  I'm not a fan of 3-dude booths.  You only need 2 men calling a football game.  Three is a crowd.

Three in a booth requires a VERY special chemistry to work. If you listen to SiriusXM NFL Radio on Sundays, they do a radio version of the red zone where they cut to the local call of games when it looks like something interesting is going on.

Washington has a three person booth, and it's awful.  They can't help but talk over each other. 

On the topics of Brady in the booth and Collinsworth's voice, one of the first things that came to my mind about Brady as an announcer is that I don't think he has the right voice for this job. It's not comforting. It's not interesting. It's not fun.

My other concern about him as a commentator is that he needs to figure out a way to turn all that knowledge and competitiveness into enthusiasm and joy. The best commentators have the ability to get US excited about the things that are happening in sports events while also finding the exact balance of explaining what just happened without dumbing it down or worse, talking down to us.

Not sure if Tom has any Madden in him. He clearly loves playing football, but does he love football, or just his part of it?

• Like 1

Brady is joyless.  Even in his ads he looks smug.  I can’t picture him slamming his silverware on the counter yelling “cut that meat!”.

Other than the fact that Paul O’Neill is still trapped in his basement so the delay gets annoying when he talks and Michael Kay and David Cone don’t know it yet, the three-man booth works in baseball.  I bet it’s because there is a loooooooooot more time to chat between bursts of activity on the field.

• Like 3

So last week around this time, someone on a radio show mentioned "something" about the future of Tom Brady & Aaron Rodgers.  To be brief, they pondered the "idea" of TB12 & A-Rod joining the same team.  They'd leave their respective teams and sign with one franchise.  One would play in half the game, and the other would play in the other half of the games.

To be clear, it was a joke as they indicated it would never happen in more ways than one.  I had to laugh at that concept, but it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.  It could be close, but if there were any positives from it, they would be fresh, not as banged up.  Basically it ranges from an in-team super war to a 14-3 record

One thing I'll say about Brady: I still think his segments with Jim Gray (Fitz is great as well) are tremendous.  I enjoyed listening to them for sure before they left MNF on Westwood One.  I don't think he was that bad or bad at all.  He felt real during that time.

I'll pass on TB12 replacing Olsen.  Greg is very good.  Probably the only time they'll have a non QB or HC/GM calling games (along with Cris on NBC).  Totally detail oriented, he does his homework.  In addition, he participates during the week.  He isn't a 3-hour only dude like Romo

29 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Considering how Philly looked when Hurts wasn’t there, I don’t see how he loses this.

It's Mahomes for the league MVP this year.  Philadelphia was hurting more due to Lane's absence compared the Jalen's absence.

If Hurts were to win it I would be rather happy.  However, you have to factor in the whole picture.  The Eagles have been great this season which helps.  However, they have a complete team, a star studded roster, and faced inferior competition as it relates to the QB's.  The NFC East was a lot better than they AFC West, so that also helps Jalen Hurts.

Patrick had to deal with Buffalo & Cincinnati.  That's not that much, but the QBs there are pretty good.  He did lose to both so that would hurt Patrick Mahomes.  He did sweep his division including 2 wins over Herbert.  As the end of the day, the yards & TDS topple what Hurts has done.

Justin Jefferson might have a shot at the OPOY, but that's it.  Really if Mahomes wins his second title, then I can see Jalen taking the OPOY.  Could be the opposite but everything will be revealed as official in 15 days

6 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

Not sure if Tom has any Madden in him. He clearly loves playing football, but does he love football, or just his part of it?

As far as his personality, his YouTube videos with Gronk show the fun side of his personality.  I like Joe Montana, but as a broadcaster, he was too chill to be calling a game.  I think TB is more outgoing than that, and with some practice and training, I think he'd be good.  The guy throws himself into preparing for his games, so I think he'd do the same with broadcasting.  He needs to work his way up the ladder though. 

Honestly, after he's done with being a QB, I really don't care what he does!  I'm grateful for what he's done for the Bucs, but I think this was just a stop along the way for him, and that's okay.  I wish him well.  

8 hours ago, mojoween said:

It feels like everyone has embraced Greg Olsen this week and is offended on his behalf even though FOX hasn’t announced their plans.  I mean, it might be five years before TB is in the booth.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35523019/jalen-hurts-justin-jefferson-patrick-mahomes-mvp-finalists

Considering how Philly looked when Hurts wasn’t there, I don’t see how he loses this.

Hasn't TB's contract been well known, and in place before GO was hired? I'm thinking he has known of the future for some time. Hell, he may even have his own plans in the works.

Or not.

8 hours ago, Carey said:

One thing I'll say about Brady: I still think his segments with Jim Gray (Fitz is great as well) are tremendous.  I enjoyed listening to them for sure before they left MNF on Westwood One.  I don't think he was that bad or bad at all.  He felt real during that time.

That's mostly where I've heard him and is what I'm using to figure out if he'll be good in the booth. I think Brady would be good in the studio for sure. He's smart, analytical, and I think would over time offer up good and fair opinions.

But what I get from the Let's Go show hasn't made me think he's going to immediately be good as the color commentator in live broadcasts. He's ridiculously detail oriented and competitive, so maybe he'll figure out a way to be great at it. 

Speaking of being charming on TV and great at things, I am continually impressed by Michael Strahan. I was watching him host the $100,000 Pyramid, then in the Fox studio, and then remembering he's in the NFL Hall of Fame, and I must say, it's kind of impressive that he's great at two things that are really hard to be great at.

• Like 5
2 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Hasn't TB's contract been well known, and in place before GO was hired? I'm thinking he has known of the future for some time. Hell, he may even have his own plans in the works.

Yes, but the question is when he will actually move on to the post-football phase. We've already seen one abortive attempt.

I do understand his exasperation with the questions. Seriously, he's not going to declare what he's doing next year on some random interview. He'll announce it on his own social media once he's decided, or possibly in a high-profile interview that's teased ahead of time to be the one in which he declares his intentions. It's a waste of time to ask.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

Yes, but the question is when he will actually move on to the post-football phase. We've already seen one abortive attempt.

I do understand his exasperation with the questions. Seriously, he's not going to declare what he's doing next year on some random interview. He'll announce it on his own social media once he's decided, or possibly in a high-profile interview that's teased ahead of time to be the one in which he declares his intentions. It's a waste of time to ask.

I was more referring to the idea that it's all unfair to Greg.

1 hour ago, JTMacc99 said:

Speaking of being charming on TV and great at things, I am continually impressed by Michael Strahan.

We always watch FOX NFL on Sunday, and I still don't know how he has the energy to keep traveling from coast to coast each week!  He's a busy guy!  He seems to handle it well though.

• Like 2

I just realized that Joe Burrow gets a bigger contract next season since he’s currently under his rookie contract. He will probably want Mahomes money, so the Bengals will shell out the money. Ja’Marr Chase is to follow after in 1-2 years, and am wondering if they will pay him as well. The Bengals are milking their rookie contracts and getting the best out of their players.

Eli Apple talks so much shit (he did the same against the Rams last year) that it’s getting difficult to root for the Bengals. Didn’t you learn last year?

Edited by twoods

Some of the media decided to rank the quarterbacks by hotness.

Now that feels very shallow, but if I *were* to do that, it would be 

Jalen Hurts

#54 for San Francisco (I know he’s not a QB, but he would get on every one of these lists regardless of position)

Big Gap

Everyone else

12 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

Speaking of being charming on TV and great at things, I am continually impressed by Michael Strahan. I was watching him host the $100,000 Pyramid, then in the Fox studio, and then remembering he's in the NFL Hall of Fame, and I must say, it's kind of impressive that he's great at two things that are really hard to be great at.

So great he got a Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame - the first in the Sports Entertainment category.   Just this week.

https://walkoffame.com/press_releases/michael-strahan-to-be-honored-with-first-hollywood-walk-of-fame-sports-entertainment-star/#:~:text=Two-time Emmy-winner%2C,front of the Line Store.

8 hours ago, twoods said:

Eli Apple talks so much shit (he did the same against the Rams last year) that it’s getting difficult to root for the Bengals. Didn’t you learn last year?

This is the same guy who talked while being a bust with the Giants.   And his mamma inserting herself into the NFL scene did not help.

• Like 2
13 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

I like Strahan.  My son became a Giants fan because of him.  He has a natural affability to him. I also watch the $100,000 Pyramid and he is not afraid to take a joke directed at him.  

13 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

I think Brady would be good in the studio for sure. He's smart, analytical, and I think would over time offer up good and fair opinions.

Brady is used to being the one in charge.  As the QB he is the one who controls the action.  Or lately tries to control the action.  Is he going to be able to call games or be part of a discussion with other analysts without always bringing up his playing days? I don't mind when it's relevant to what is happening.  When calling the KC/Jax game Saturday Jim Nantz asked Tony Romo what Mahomes might expect with an ankle sprain because Romo himself had had an ankle sprain.  I used to laugh when I watched Madden and Summerall call games because no matter what was happening on the field Madden would keep talking about whatever he was talking about. I can see Brady doing that except he would be talking about his wins. Or even worse his losses.  The man does love to rehash things.  He is still pissed he was drafted in the 6th round.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Twitter traffic on whether or not Damar was really at the Bill/Bengals game, or if it was a stand-in/decoy, lol.

My coworker told me about this yesterday.  He doesn't believe it was him.  LOL

• Wink 2
  • LOL 1
22 minutes ago, Carey said:

Yeah I heard about this earlier in the week.  To be brief, the substance on it is, simply put: disgusting.

People will find a conspiracy theory concerning anything. And what would the motive have been for a fake Damar?

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

People will find a conspiracy theory concerning anything. And what would the motive have been for a fake Damar?

They showed footage of him getting out of an SUV under the stadium before the game. Was that all faked as well? 🙄

• Like 1

I will give credit where credit may be due.  As mentioned elsewhere, several of these people posted with their actual photos next to their post.  Basically a ton of people that aren't doubling down and didn't.  From comments like, "Iit's not him, you weren't there," to, "The league doesn't want to have someone dying so they had to act!" are at least a little bit over the top.

As Salacious Kitty pointed out, there was footage of him on television.  Furthermore, they showed his family.  So are his family members fake too?  In addition, people talk so anything suspicious would've gotten out.  Finally, Damar's parents would not be happy with this crap-ass storyline that just isn't true, period.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

So people think that he really died and the NFL are covering this up? That all the Bills players are faking being happy that their teammate and friend is alive? That the doctors lied about his progress? I just can’t.

Edited by twoods

So the NFL manufactured a game long snowfall that "just happened" to obscure his face in the skybox?

Seriously, all of the people he passed in the tunnel and on his way to the skybox, and everybody who worked at the hospital are in on this conspiracy?

Occam's Razor people.

• Mind Blown 2
  • Applause 1
2 minutes ago, twoods said:

So people think that he really died and the NFL are covering this? That all the Bills players are faking being happy that their teammate and friend is alive? I just can’t.

I believe the NFL is capable of lot but this is just insane.  As @Carey  said there would have to be hundreds of people part of the cover up. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
3 hours ago, twoods said:

So people think that he really died and the NFL are covering this up? That all the Bills players are faking being happy that their teammate and friend is alive? That the doctors lied about his progress? I just can’t.

Never underestimate the ability for some people to be complete fucking morons.  They believe that in a matter of minutes the NFL, the Bills, the Bengals, the paramedics and ambulance staff, the medical team at the hospital, and Damar's family and friends all agreed to cover up Damar's death.  Idiocy.  

• Like 3
  • Applause 4

Oh no, its not that he merely died on the field.   It's that he was vaxxed and the vax killed him, so the NFL is conspiring with Big Pharma to hide the dangers of the vax.    I kid you not.    This is now full blown Q territory.

There are people saying things like "Well then he should do a live interview to prove it."    Oh honey, the Q people won't believe that.   They will just call him a lizard person then.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
3 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

Oh no, its not that he merely died on the field.   It's that he was vaxxed and the vax killed him, so the NFL is conspiring with Big Pharma to hide the dangers of the vax.    I kid you not.    This is now full blown Q territory.

There are people saying things like "Well then he should do a live interview to prove it."    Oh honey, the Q people won't believe that.   They will just call him a lizard person then.

Yes, I know that's why they are saying he died, why there is now a body double for him. (Apparently the NFL has these people on standby for every game for every player who has been vaccinated, just in case.  Perhaps in the basement of local pizza joints?)  I just didn't want to give them a name!  Well, other than complete fucking morons.  

• Like 1
13 hours ago, twoods said:

It's more work believing this conspiracy than just believing that he's alive.

Damar was also at the training facility visiting the team. So all those people a) don't know what he looks like or b) are part of the conspiracy.

• Like 1