Type keyword(s) to search

Green Arrow In Comics

Lantern7
  • Start Topic

Go to link to view pencil drawings...

What Might Have Been… The Cat And The Canary
Posted March 13, 2016 by Dan Wickline
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/03/13/what-might-have-been-the-cat-and-the-canary/

Paul Kupperberg posted four pages from a never published Black Canary miniseries from writer Greg Weisman and artist Mike Sekowsky. It was entitled The Cat and the Canary and planned for 1984. The first issue was penciled but the series was put aside because of Mike Grell’s Green Arrow: Long Bow Hunter series using the character. It’s said that Weisman used elements from the planned series in the script he wrote for the DC Showcase: Green Arrow animated short film.
Edited by tv echo

There is also a push for the Legends of Tomorrow 4-part comic that does not remotely resemble the new show.  They are capitalizing on the new name recognition for the new show to try to up the sales for something not connected to it.   

Is the Van Dyke just easier facial hair to draw? Stubble can be hard sometimes and perhaps a beard is too much. I wonder too why thevan dyke because it is certainly not attractive, but it is distinctive. Hopefully it can be less cartoonish in the rebirth.

He said on Twitter, BC, Shado and Diggle are coming. So why not Felicity? I mean Diggle and Felicity were practically introduced at the same time in the comics. So why is he not mentioning her? She's just as integral to Oliver now as is Diggle.

He said on Twitter, BC, Shado and Diggle are coming. So why not Felicity? I mean Diggle and Felicity were practically introduced at the same time in the comics. So why is he not mentioning her? She's just as integral to Oliver now as is Diggle.

Maybe the author doesn't like Felicity? *shrugs* Or the comics don't need a techie... IDK oh well... I doubt the comics are going to sell over 20-something K comics anyways...

The author said there are more surprises but Felicity is integral to Arrow, probably not the same in the comics.

The author is liking a lot of Green Arrow and Black Canary tweets I'm assuming that's the direction he wants to take the series. Or he just likes the chatter.

I don't know much about comic sales but I imagine there will be a boost with the release then settle down again. GA just doesn't seem like a big draw in the comic world.

• Love 2

Yeah, if the DC strategy is that Arrow grabs the Oliver/Felicity crowd and the comics focus on the GA/BC crowd, then they are catching both fandoms.  As much as I would love to see more Felicity in comics, I am glad that the GA/BC fans have somewhere else to go instead of spending all their time being pissed off at Arrow for their direction...at least we can say, shut up and olicity or just go read your comics...I do hate hearing "because comics" [just bitter]

• Love 3

Based off of his latest tweets, he isn't a fan of Felicity.

He is bringing in Diggle but when asked about Felicity he said that he is keeping the show and comics separate. One of the responses to that was a thank you for honoring the characters. He liked that one.

I wish they would keep Diggle out of comics too, just because I actually would prefer them to be completely separate. I think this half and half thing is just messy.

• Love 4

If they want to keep the show and the comic separate, that's totally fair enough. But including Diggle and not Felicity is kind of a pointed statement and doesn't really support that claim. But whatever. I won't buy or read them anyway so it's not even a big deal to me personally. LOL. 

Edited by Angel12d
  • Love 7

Now he deleted his tweet and is talking about how great it is that there are different incarnations that give us more stories about the characters we like because people logically pointed out that Diggle was created in the show and then brought in the comics. LOL, I don't know why people don't think about what they are saying before tweeting. It would save them lots of troubles.

• Love 1

If that's the case then, I just wish Felicity fans would let this be. If they want to bring the comics in that direction, IMO there's no need to complain about it (this is just assuming, I have no idea if that is happening).

• Love 2

I don't think it is messy, if anything it helps add to a characters longevity. Harley Quinn started out in animation before becoming a comic book character and now she is a huge character who will be getting the movie treatment.  Though I wouldn't mind if they tried to move Felicity outside of Green Arrow and introduce her to Babs.

If that's the case then, I just wish Felicity fans would let this be. If they want to bring the comics in that direction, IMO there's no need to complain about it (this is just assuming, I have no idea if that is happening).

He created the issue himself IMO because first he said Diggle was going to be in the new run, then a person told him to be careful because now a bunch of girls were going to tell him to write Felicity in the comics and make her the GA's girlfriend and he answered to that saying Felicity won't be in it and that they are keeping the comics and the show separated.

I don't really care abut any of that tbh but companies should train their people before letting them use SM, LOL

• Love 1

If they want to keep the show and the comic separate, that's totally fair enough. But including Diggle and not Felicity is kind of a pointed statement and doesn't really support that claim. But whatever. I won't buy or read them anyway so it's not even a big deal to me personally. LOL. 

They aren't a packaged deal imo. Thea and Quentin havent been adapted I believe. 

Does anyone know how well the comic sales did when Felicity was introduced in comics?  She was only in a few, so I'm not sure if it would be considered a good measure.  I think Diggle was introduced in comics long before Felicity was (maybe the year before?) and was received well.  It could purely be a business decision rather than a creative one, depending on how well the comic sales went.  With a struggling comic, realistically, it would be smart to follow where the money is in order to keep the comic afloat.  It is possible Felicity fans are generally not comic readers, so sales wouldn't translate well, whereas GA/BC has been proven to sell comics in the past.

Edited by ComicFan777

They aren't a packaged deal imo. Thea and Quentin havent been adapted I believe.

They aren't, it's true. The writer is the one who created the issue saying Felicity won't be included because they want to keep the show and the comics as two separated realities. Then by the way realized his mistake and deleted the tweet.

• Love 1

He created the issue himself IMO because first he said Diggle was going to be in the new run, then a person told him to be careful because now a bunch of girls were going to tell him to write Felicity in the comics and make her the GA's girlfriend and he answered to that saying Felicity won't be in it and that they are keeping the comics and the show separated.

I don't really care abut any of that tbh but companies should train their people before letting them use SM, LOL

I agree that that was unfortunate. But, and I'm just making a wish list since I have no idea what's going on - and care very little about it, I really hope people won't start demanding Felicity's presence in the comics, or feel outraged if she won't be or whatever. Asking whether she will be featured it's fine, I'm worried about what might follow. Because then people's accusations of obnoxiousness would be very true. 

And yes to media training. Maybe he was referring specifically to the romantic part of the tv show when he said about the comics being kept separated, but, hell, say she wouldn't fit in the story you want to tell, or whatever else. Not whatever that statement was :/

• Love 1

To be honest, GA having a goatee is stupid and would make me not read that comic book anyways. So, Felicity not being in it does not effect me at all. Seriously, I would understand if everyone knew Oliver was the GA but that is not the case. Oliver Queen is prominent figure with his pictures in the news all the time and suddenly there is a Superhero rocking his same goatee. Come on now!

• Love 3

I agree that that was unfortunate. But, and I'm just making a wish list since I have no idea what's going on - and care very little about it, I really hope people won't start demanding Felicity's presence in the comics, or feel outraged if she won't be or whatever. Asking whether she will be featured it's fine, I'm worried about what might follow. Because then people's accusations of obnoxiousness would be very true. 

I don't read the comics, so like many of you guys, I don't care. I get them not wanting to bring Felicity into it at all, because for people who might buy the comics because of that, I think it sets up unrealistic expectations in terms of their personal relationship. O/F aren't ever going to be together in the comics, and I'm guessing they want to allay the fears of comics fans who like the GA/BC dynamic - especially since they'll be meeting in this run. So, I agree. I hope they won't demand it or be upset about it. 

• Love 1

I never claimed they were? But technically Diggle and Felicity were the original Team Arrow members so including Diggle but not Felicity while claiming the show and comics are separate is weird, IMO. But honestly, I really don't care. I'm not a comic book reader so I'm not who they're marketing/writing for so it really truly doesn't bother me. 

Edited by Angel12d

He was trying to give a reason that people wouldn't be able to jump on him. Except fans always find a reason. That"s why the tweet was deleted. Traditionally, in comics, Felicity belongs to Firestorm. With rebirth's purposed a return to tradition as best as possible, I can see why Felicity isn't joining the new GA book. Both as her original connections and her controversial aspect with GA comic fans.

Um, Quintin isn't a GA character he's a Black Canary character called Larry Lance pre-Flashpoint and Kurt Lance post Flashpoint and he definitely was in the 52 BoP comics.

Thea is Mia Dearden and she was brought back to nu52 under AJK in the Green Arrow comics, so yeah she is/was adapted back to her original design. The comics also already has/had their version of Oliver's half-sister in the form of Emiko who was created by Jeff Lemire and also featured in Ben Percy's run.

So yeah basically a version of all Arrow characters including Tommy Merlyn, Moira Queen, Robert Queen, Deathstroke, Katana and Shado have appeared in the GA or BoP comics.

As far as Felicity goes, people need to just drop it. The writer (who I don't particularly like) has every right to pick and choose which characters he wants to include in his story. Or perhaps DC decided to go with GA/BC in the comics again? I have no idea but, the Black Canary comic crashed and burned. Meanwhile Ben Percy's run on GA was on a slow/steady decline so maybe DC is looking to jump start both rebirth titles sales by promising a meeting?

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 6

I don't think it is messy, if anything it helps add to a characters longevity. Harley Quinn started out in animation before becoming a comic book character and now she is a huge character who will be getting the movie treatment. Though I wouldn't mind if they tried to move Felicity outside of Green Arrow and introduce her to Babs.

I love Harley Quinn.

I mean messy with the fans. "They added Diggle but not Felicity. Felicity Sucks!" And "Comic Canon means nothing! Ha!...Why isn't Felicity being added to the Comics?!"

I don't know about the comic community, but it's sounds like something else the Arrow fandom will fight about. I try and keep a bubble but somethings get through and it's a bit of a bummer.

Just out of curiousity, what are considered good comic sales?

Edited by Chaser

I love Harley Quinn.

I mean messy with the fans. "They added Diggle but not Felicity. Felicity Sucks!" And "Comic Canon means nothing! Ha!...Why isn't Felicity being added to the Comics?!"

I don't know about the comic community, but it's sounds like something else the Arrow fandom will fight about. I try and keep a bubble but somethings get through and it's a bit of a bummer.

Just out of curiousity, what are considered good comic sales?

That's always going to happen regardless, it is just one of those things that comes with the territory. 

50k+  is great for comics nowadays

30k-40k is decent

15-20k is ok but cancellation territory. 

Um, Quintin isn't a GA character he's a Black Canary character called Larry Lance pre-Flashpoint and Kurt Lance post Flashpoint and he definitely was in the 52 BoP comics.

Thea is Mia Dearden and she was brought back to nu52 under AJK in the Green Arrow comics, so yeah she is/was adapted back to her original design. The comics also already has/had their version of Oliver's half-sister in the form of Emiko who was created by Jeff Lemire and also featured in Ben Percy's run.

So yeah basically a version of all Arrow characters including Tommy Merlyn, Moira Queen, Robert Queen, Deathstroke, Katana and Shado have appeared in the GA or BoP comics.

As far as Felicity goes, people need to just drop it. The writer (who I don't particularly like) has every right to pick and choose which characters he wants to include in his story. Or perhaps DC decided to go with GA/BC in the comics again? I have no idea but, the Black Canary comic crashed and burned. Meanwhile Ben Percy's run on GA was on a slow/steady decline so maybe DC is looking to jump start both rebirth titles sales by promising a meeting?

Thea and Mia are so different to me I don't consider them to be basically one in the same. Both would easily be able to co-exist next to one another. Larry Lance, yeah I guess is Quentin, Kurt...apart from being married to Dinah Drake, not really anything like Q.

Disappointed that they're sticking with Ben Percy

Seriously. Even if they're re-booting, he's the one that thought Werewolf AIDS!Oliver was a good idea. I can't imagine whatever else he's going to come up with is going to be any better.

• Love 6

Seriously. Even if they're re-booting, he's the one that thought Werewolf AIDS!Oliver was a good idea. I can't imagine whatever else he's going to come up with is going to be any better.

This!

I'm actually one of those pretty happy with the idea of them keeping the comics and the show separate entities with little to no crossover, maybe that way fans of both can finally be happy (pipe dream I know).

I also agree with the posts that said he should have creative license to do what he wants with a comic that he's responsible for writing and that includes picking and choosing which characters he'd like to include. That being said, what he has been responsible for so far, makes me pretty grateful for him to stay away from Felicity Smoak in any iteration. I've no desire to see what transformation her character would undergo at the hands of a man who thought werewolf Oliver was a good idea. I've always felt the LL character we've seen onscreen was written as though they were forced to keep and write arcs for the character and I'd really hate to see the same happen to Felicity Smoak at the hands of a man, whose tweets at least hint that he has no love for her 

• Love 9

Thea and Mia are so different to me I don't consider them to be basically one in the same. Both would easily be able to co-exist next to one another. Larry Lance, yeah I guess is Quentin, Kurt...apart from being married to Dinah Drake, not really anything like Q.

Well Laurel isn't really anything like Dinah Laurel Lance, but she's still Dinah. Just like Quinton Larry Lance is still Larry Lance.

Edited by Delphi
  • Love 1

Well Laurel isn't really anything like Dinah Laurel Lance, but she's still Dinah. Just like Quinton is still Quinton Larry Lance.

At least she has some similar story beats. Father is a cop who doesn't want her to be a cop, takes up her sisters (instead of mothers) mantle to go fight crime, had a rocky relationship with Oliver Queen, trained by Ted Grant.