Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: The Dog - Pre-Air Speculation and Live Chat

• Start Topic

Here is your Pre-Air Speculation and Live Chat thread for your commenting enjoyment!

Please note though - episode three airs on September 13th, in two weeks, so bare that in mind.

This thread will close at 10:00 pm, after which you can head on over to the actual episode thread to continue the discussion....

S01.E03: The Dog

Please remember not to post any Walking Dead spoilers in here. There is a thread to compare the shows HERE, so any mention or discussion of the Walking Dead goes there.

Enjoy the episode, have fun commenting and as always, please be respectful to your fellow commenters!

And if any dogs get killed in this episode, show, there will be hell to pay...

• Love 3

The Dog?? Why is it called this?  I don't want to see any dogs get killed, yes I'm one of those, that's all I'm saying.

raven - I am one of those people, too.  I'll go one step beyond, and say I can't stand seeing ANY animals harmed or killed.  I want my zombies to feed solely on human flesh.  ;-)

Now, a faithful doggie companion who accompanies one of our intrepid heroes through the zombie apocalypse?   THAT I could enjoy - if the doggie survives.

• Love 4

If it's not a reference to the Jack London story, then that entire scene could have been trimmed out of the overly pilot without losing anything.

But it could mean anything.

Maybe they'll be joined by a cowardly dyslexic priest from the junkie church who keep writing "evigrof em dog" all over the place.

Maybe Tobias will meet Snoop, and get zombie-fighting lessons from him, for about half an hour, until Snoop inevitably gets bitten offscreen and becomes a disposable zombie.

Maybe Alicia will find a puppy, but it will run away when Nick pukes on it.

Or maybe a full moon will come, and Madison will do a strangely emotionless transformation into a werewolf.

• Love 4

Maybe Tobias will meet Snoop, and get zombie-fighting lessons from him, for about half an hour, until Snoop inevitably gets bitten offscreen and becomes a disposable zombie.

While I would love more than anything for Snoop Dogg to show up, I really want to see some celebrity walkers. We're in LA, after all! I'm sure there are some D-List celebrities that would be willing to make a cameo appearance.

• Love 1

I've got a few thoughts about this title...

- Will they use 'the dog' as bait?  IE, send it running in the opposite direction to get zombies to chase it so they can escape them.

- Will they be in danger of getting eaten but a dog runs up and saves the day?

- Will they follow a dog, thinking it would draw attention, but it doesn't..... until it does, when it runs into a 'herd' of zombies.

- Will the episode focus on particular person, thus ending up the titular character of the episode "The Dog"?  If so, that's cold, TPTB.  Cold.  

But considering Nick's 'problems', I guess he'd make a good stand-in for a drug-sniffing canine.

• Love 1

If it's not a reference to the Jack London story, then that entire scene could have been trimmed out of the overly pilot without losing anything.

But it could mean anything.

Maybe they'll be joined by a cowardly dyslexic priest from the junkie church who keep writing "evigrof em dog" all over the place.

Maybe Alicia will find a puppy, but it will run away when Nick pukes on it.

Or maybe a full moon will come, and Madison will do a strangely emotionless transformation into a werewolf.

"Overly pilot" is the perfect description for 80% of all pilots....

• Love 3
Will they use 'the dog' as bait?  IE, send it running in the opposite direction to get zombies to chase it so they can escape them.

Get out....Don't even put these thoughts in my/our head...*gets kleenex box ready*

Not the puppies...leave the puppies alone...

[i just made the mistake of looking for a cute doggy picture to post, and instead, I am in tears over some pics of clearly abused dogs. God, I hate humanity.)

Maybe the episode title is a play on loyalty to someone??

• Love 1

Get out....Don't even put these thoughts in my/our head...*gets kleenex box ready*

My finger will be on the remote's FF button for the entire episode, too.  Wish I had an oxygen bottle on standby ... alas, the vodka bottle will have to suffice.  It could get ugly at Grey Gardens West (aka Casa de Deplorable) this evening.

• Love 2

Hmm. Remember in the Pilot, the nurse with that old metal bed pan told Nick that she took her dog out to pee at her convenience, not the dog's? And Nick said, "I'm the dog?" She affirmed he was, in fact, the dog.

Travis's Jack London class discussion built on that, with the dog/wolf standing in for nature, which always wins.

I doubt the title refers to an actual dog.

Edited by Raven1707
  • Love 3

Hmm. Remember in the Pilot, the nurse with that old metal bed pan told Nick that she took her dog out to pee at her convenience, not the dog's? And Nick said, "I'm the dog?" She affirmed he was, in fact, the dog.

Travis's Jack London class discussion built on that, with the dog/wolf standing in for nature, which always wins.

I doubt the title refers to an actual dog.

I agree. I think that since Travis said the dog is nature, and nature wins, Nick is going to have some kind of personal victory this episode. Or maybe he'll just be the least stupid person in the episode. If Tobias isn't around, it won't be hard. As far as literal dogs go, I think there are good odds that we might see Nick (or maybe Madison or Travis) making eye contact with a stray dog, in a deep, philosophical way.

Well, with the end of civilization it could be said that they are living in a dog eat dog world. Then again on another zombie show set in rural America a couple of horses, some dear, and an opossum or two have been sacrificed to the zombie gods. Surely in an inner city environment a few cats and dogs can be sacrificed to appease the zombie gods. Cue PETA

Well, going by the previews, if the title of the episode is indeed a reference to Nick, then I'm guessing there's a soldier out there who isn't a fan of quad-pedals then; what with the shocking and somewhat physically brutal version of the old "down boy!" command.

"Damnit Johnson, when the dog is being bad, I said you 'hit it on the nose with a rolled up newspaper', not a 'rifle butt to the face'!"

Whew.  Thank you all.  I can relax while I watch now, these/dog/nature/Nick analogies make sense!

• Love 1

Or, maybe Travis will try to bond with Chris by taking him to a hot dog stand.

Or maybe he'll get him a new pet, to try to fix their relationship.

"Son, I'm sorry your mom and I split up, and that I'm really busy with my girlfriend and her drug addict son. And that the whole world is going to hell, what with people rising from the dead to kill us and all. But here, have a puppy!"

• Love 1
Hmm, so my D* APG says the episode will run over the usual 1-hour allotment by 6 minutes.

Thanks for letting me know. Needed to adjust the DVR recording settings. The sad (?) thing is that the Cowboys/Giants game is on tonight. If it were The Walking Dead on, I would insist on watching it almost live today. Sadly, I can wait to watch this episode tomorrow. It just isn't as Must See TV as TWD is.

Be good guys when posting tonight!

• Love 3

If you're interested, Jack London's To Build a Fire is online. I just gave it a quick read, and if this ep refers to that story, then the dog stands for instinctual understanding of survival. There's no conjecture, no presupposition, no rationalization - the world is what it is. I think this is the episode where at least one of the main characters really and truly realizes that the old world is gone and this new world has a reality that you'd better grasp ASAP.

• Love 3

Hi all, I've been reading the discussions on these forums for a while and figured it was time to jump into the fray.

I'm a huge fan of the TWD and am really enjoying this new series as well. It's an interesting experience watching this show with foreknowledge of what awaits our characters. I'm finding the sense of growing dread quite effective. Even knowing they're on a collision course with oblivion, part of me can't help but share their (increasingly desperate) hope that this will all blow over and life will eventually return to normal.

The shot in the preview (are previews considered spoilers?) where

Christopher is peeking out the window and a walker makes direct eye contact with him

brought me to my feet the first time I saw it. So skeery!!! I can't wait to see how Travis and company escape the riot.

I'm with those who really, really don't want any dogs harmed! It's bad enough imagining the fate of millions of cats and dogs in a zombie apocalypse; I don't need to see it! [Edited to add] I suspect, though, like others, the episode's titular dog is a metaphor for the choices someone will make in order to not die.

Edited by High Ewe
  • Love 2

If you're interested, Jack London's To Build a Fire is online.

Well that was a cheerful read.  I've read Call of the Wild, I should have known.

That's right Maddison, Nick is the expert dammit!

• Love 1