Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E09: 40 Days Filth and Fury

This is the finale in which they make the hard, 2 day trip to the extraction point.

I'd have to re-listen, but did Jeff sound like he was carrying EJ? He kept talking about all HIS hard work, but I'm thinking EJ worked too.

At least Luke and Laura tried to hunt.

Chris screaming at EJ as he spoke to his diary cam was so effing rude. I thought they were further apart like a quarter mile apart.

No way would I get in that water. But then I'd be crying before I got off the truck heh.

Alana: "I'm just not used to moving so fast." Urm... she's not used to moving at all it seemed.

• Love 10

Well, I think the big team redeemed themselves in many ways in this episode, with a few exceptions. I'm really looking forward to the next episode, I want to see Shane's and Dani's take on the whole thing.

• Love 2

Cant they give them some kind of clothes once they get on the boat?

All the screaming was a little much for me, but I get it that they were excited.

Wow EJ lost 73 pounds in 40 days. That has to have an effect on his skin in a bad way.

So they had a whole caiman and gave two men a little piece to share? It was better than nothing, but still... wow.  

• Love 6

I really wish Honora was not invited to participate in the reunion episode, but unfortunately, by the looks of the previews, she is there (looking as if she hasn't bathed since she left).  I would hope that the others would just freeze her out as if not even there, because I really have no interest in anything she has to say.  She never should have participated in the first place. 

Yay Eva for speaking her peace with Jeff, I would have liked to see something to that effect between EJ and Laura.  I was glad to see everyone complete the challenge and seeing the dolphins was a special thrill.  How in the world do their mikes work when they're in the water up to their noses? 

Cant they give them some kind of clothes once they get on the boat?

Had to laugh that they gave them life preservers.  Like, they just swam (what was it, 1/2 mile?) in the same water, basically clinging to sticks tied together.  I think they'll be safe on the boat. 

• Love 2

Great question about the mics.

At the very end we saw a preview of the reunion show to come next week. I see the point about Honora and what a freak show psycho she is, but at least she is a freak show to someone's face and not the sneaky snake backstabber that is Alana.  

Chris is just such a turd I dont' even know what to say. Wow.

Why all the guns on the boats?

• Love 5

I wish I could say that Bitch Group 6 totally redeemed themselves, but no. The sad thing is, I really think they (especially Alana and Chris, the stankest bitches there) think the audience was rooting for them to succeed. Yes, they shared a bit of caiman...when there was only one day left, and only a tiny bit, and after a friggin' debate about it. And where was Luke during that? He was the one who "wished there was some way to repay" Jeff and EJ. Giving him the caiman should have not only been his idea, he should have gone to bat for it. It's so disappointing because before this, Luke was the one guy I would have most liked to partner with, if I were on this show. In the end, he was just absorbed into a pack of dickheads.

Eva was a bit better...kind of whiny, but she was so much nicer at the start of the challenge that I suspect a lot of her bitchiness is hunger-induced. Laura wasn't too bad in the last ep, either. Veggie Danielle was just kinda there, but good for her sticking to her diet. But Chris and Alana...irredeemable. 

Jeff and EJ dominated 'til the end. Good for them. 

Can't wait to see the reunion special, and see what Chris and Alana have to say for themselves. I didn't see the preview (my DVR cut out) but I am guessing that Eva, Luke and Laura will be legitimately apologetic about the Dani situation, while the others will blame "editing" for their dickishness.

For real! I was like "are they gonna shoot Chris in the 'nads with a paintball?" THAT would have been excellent television.

• Love 7

I joked that it was a Colombian drug cartel that was about to shoot them.

I'll repost again here that the jump in the psr for the six idiots was absurd.  There's no way in hell they should be rated up there with Jeff and E.J.  So the psr is now a total joke.

• Love 12

Well, I think the big team redeemed themselves in many ways in this episode, with a few exceptions. I'm really looking forward to the next episode, I want to see Shane's and Dani's take on the whole thing.

I thoroughly disagree that they redeemed themselves.  If there is going to be any redemption, it would be during the reunion show to see if the worst offenders (Chris and Alana) actually apologise for their behaviour.  Based on their defiant Facebook postings, it appears to me the answer is going to be no.  They are going to claim editing and being hungry and tired as an excuse for what was aired.  Won't work with me.

I still loathe them, especially Chris.  At the reunion, I would love to see Dani strip him naked, cover him in honey and dump a barrel of red fire ants on him.  He is one of the most despicable people I've seen on reality TV, and there's been a lot.

I'm confused about the reunion show.  The schedule on the Discovery website shows 11 hours of XL from 10 AM to 9 PM.  Each one is called "XL Confessions Episode __".  Are these just re-runs of the episodes that already aired, but with "pop up" confessions and comments?  And then the last one is the actual reunion?  There were only 9 episodes from this thread title.  Is the reunion two hours?

• Love 6

I wish I could say that Bitch Group 6 totally redeemed themselves, but no. The sad thing is, I really think they (especially Alana and Chris, the stankest bitches there) think the audience was rooting for them to succeed. Yes, they shared a bit of caiman...when there was only one day left, and only a tiny bit, and after a friggin' debate about it. And where was Luke during that? He was the one who "wished there was some way to repay" Jeff and EJ. Giving him the caiman should have not only been his idea, he should have gone to bat for it. It's so disappointing because before this, Luke was the one guy I would have most liked to partner with, if I were on this show. In the end, he was just absorbed into a pack of dickheads.

Eva was a bit better...kind of whiny, but she was so much nicer at the start of the challenge that I suspect a lot of her bitchiness is hunger-induced. Laura wasn't too bad in the last ep, either. Veggie Danielle was just kinda there, but good for her sticking to her diet. But Chris and Alana...irredeemable. 

Jeff and EJ dominated 'til the end. Good for them. 

Can't wait to see the reunion special, and see what Chris and Alana have to say for themselves. I didn't see the preview (my DVR cut out) but I am guessing that Eva, Luke and Laura will be legitimately apologetic about the Dani situation, while the others will blame "editing" for their dickishness.

For real! I was like "are they gonna shoot Chris in the 'nads with a paintball?" THAT would have been excellent television.

Omg get outta my head! THIS! ^^^^^ Agree on all points. I, too, did not think that BG6 redeemed themselves. I found them very catty and bitchy..... the norm.  

And CHris screaming, "it's not a biography" when EJ was talking to the camera about his family was just beyond the pale. I say it was Chris (whoever was off camera;) It sounded like him and I furthermore I cant see Luke screaming that rudeness out like that.

• Love 9

Eva was a bit better...kind of whiny, but she was so much nicer at the start of the challenge that I suspect a lot of her bitchiness is hunger-induced. Laura wasn't too bad in the last ep, either. Veggie Danielle was just kinda there, but good for her sticking to her diet.

Not being alone with Alana seems to have done some good for Danielle. I really liked Laura in this episode too. I liked how Eva and Jeff had some time together, I was really wondering how the people who teamed up previously were feeling. Luke as always was a voice of reason there too.

The only ones I couldn't relate to much in the end were still Alana and Chris though, and I still don't like the team's overall strategy, but I got to like the team as a whole a lot better this episode.

Hooray for a reunion show.  I just recently posted that they needed to do one, just so that Dani could call out the assholes who bullied her for no reason whatsoever. We need a drinking game:  Have a shot whenever they cry "editing."

Those guys with guns on the boat made me wonder if perhaps I made a mistake and was watching Narcos (which is very good, btw, if you need something to binge-watch).

• Love 3

I thoroughly disagree that they redeemed themselves.  If there is going to be any redemption, it would be during the reunion show to see if the worst offenders (Chris and Alana) actually apologise for their behaviour.  Based on their defiant Facebook postings, it appears to me the answer is going to be no.  They are going to claim editing and being hungry and tired as an excuse for what was aired.  Won't work with me.

I still loathe them, especially Chris.  At the reunion, I would love to see Dani strip him naked, cover him in honey and dump a barrel of red fire ants on him.  He is one of the most despicable people I've seen on reality TV, and there's been a lot.

I'm confused about the reunion show.  The schedule on the Discovery website shows 11 hours of XL from 10 AM to 9 PM.  Each one is called "XL Confessions Episode __".  Are these just re-runs of the episodes that already aired, but with "pop up" confessions and comments?  And then the last one is the actual reunion?  There were only 9 episodes from this thread title.  Is the reunion two hours?

Great question because (for example) the other Naked show had a marathon and the DVR tagged them all as new, but they were reruns with little tags, as you just mentioned. (IIRC)

I liked having more people whereas the two person eppys get a little boring. There was more hunting and more tasks in this show that make it more interesting than watching people starve and sit around getting bug bitten. Speaking of which.... how did these folks not look eaten up from bites? They looked thin and their skin was loose on some, but I did not see the usual  horrible head to toe bites and inflammation.

It was Dani (the good one ) heh who had the mosquito net and IIRC and she gave it to EJ and Jeff when she tapped; and even if they had access to it before she tapped out. that one net will not cover all those people, will it ?? I don't recall how huge it was.... like tent huge?  

• Love 2

I, too, didn't think the 6 person group redeemed themselves at all.  Eva bitched to Jeff about how her feelings were hurt.  How about she be made to listen to Dani talk about how HER feelings were hurt?  Karma's a bitch, ain't it, Eva?  And their PSRs were a joke.  A complete joke.  And their sharing their caiman?  Yeah.  Jeff and EJ shared HUGE portions of their 3 eels, even after G6 refused to give EJ a taste of their ray.  I was glad EJ and Jeff didn't share their ray either.  That caiman sharing was a joke - them trying to redeem themselves in the audiences' eyes.  I was really hoping they'd not make it to extraction.  And I'm usually not that vindictive, but they really pushed my buttons with Dani and Shane.  Alana and the mean girls (and guys) of high school.

Alana and Chris have big enough egos that they probably think the audience loves them.  Heh.  Good luck with that belief.

• Love 14

From the previews, it looked like Honora had a few choice words for Chris (called him a sexist or mysogynist or some such thing).  I wonder if she watched his first episode and saw how he treated his female companion in order to buttress her accusations.

From the previews, it looked like Honora had a few choice words for Chris (called him a sexist or mysogynist or some such thing). I wonder if she watched his first episode and saw how he treated his female companion in order to buttress her accusations.

Maybe we didn't see all of Chris with her though. Anyway, she can call him whatever, her Naked and Afraid challenge was with some very chill guy and she managed to do something similar to what she did in XL. I think she would freak out even if it was just Luke or someone else, Chris just sped up the whole process by being the short-tempered guy he is.
  • Love 3

Having lived in South America myself, I think I can answer that.

The Columbians are very proud of their military. (For holidays, I'm sure their military marches in parades bristling with weapons, just like they did where we were living.) It was pretty clear to me that they had been asked (or had offered) to "rescue" the survivalists at the extraction point. It was obviously a military ship, and smaller (but very fast) military motorboats picking up naked people from the shore. 

I, too, didn't think the 6 person group redeemed themselves at all.  Eva bitched to Jeff about how her feelings were hurt.  How about she be made to listen to Dani talk about how HER feelings were hurt?  ...And their PSRs were a joke...  I was really hoping they'd not make it to extraction.  

Eva talked about 'clearing the air' with Jeff but he was the one being nice and conciliatory, and she was the one yelling and complaining. She made an excuse for being grumpy but she certainly didn't apologize for the way she had been acting!

I admit, I was delighted when the Team High School 6 were crossing the water, and one of the women (I think it was Eva?) squawked that something had just taken a bite out of her!!

For the PSRs of Team High Schhol to go up a lot more than Jeff and EJ's is cray-cray. Whoever is in charge of the scoring, needs to stop doing hallucinogenics!

Edited by Crazy Bird Lady
  • Love 9

I have a feeling no one will call anybody out on a reunion show. That rarely happens, I hope it does in this case.

If there was a moderator (like Jeff Probst -yech) I could see someone being called out but yeah, probably not going to happen here although it would make for good TV.

Were they all supposed to go to the extraction point together? I don't get why Jeff and EJ had to explain to the rest how they wanted to go to the extraction point on their own as they initially said they wanted to work as their own team.

About Eva's feelings being hurt, she should think about what Dani went through!

Edited by Cobb Salad
  • Love 5

I joked that it was a Colombian drug cartel that was about to shoot them.

I'll repost again here that the jump in the psr for the six idiots was absurd.  There's no way in hell they should be rated up there with Jeff and E.J.  So the psr is now a total joke.

Totally agree.  In a real survival situation, that group would be dead.  Jeff fortified everyone enough to make it to the end.  

Eva bitched to Jeff about how her feelings were hurt.  How about she be made to listen to Dani talk about how HER feelings were hurt?  Karma's a bitch, ain't it, Eva?

THIS.

• Love 6

If there was a moderator (like Jeff Probst -yech) I could see someone being called out but yeah, probably not going to happen here although it would make for good TV.

Were they all supposed to go to the extraction point together? I don't get why Jeff and EJ had to explain to the rest how they wanted to go to the extraction point on their own as they initially said they wanted to work as their own team.

About Eva's feelings being hurt, she should think about what Dani went through!

I also found it weird there was this huge reaction about their wanting ti go alone. I thought they had already made it clear they were separate teams.

• Love 4

I didn't watch. Who got to the extraction point first?

The big team did, but apparently they left before Jeff and EJ to cross the river. Also, their strategy to cross the river may have been faster as well.

Why did Jeff and Ej  have to explain anything at all to the BG6 about extraction? I don't get it.

Maybe they wanted the other group to know that if they weren't around, they had left for good.  Maybe the BG6 would think they were out gathering or something,and should wait for them before they left.  Because we can all see how courteous and thoughtful they are about EJ and Jeff.  ;P

EJ and Jeff said something to each other about getting to the riverbank first, so they could collect all the driftwood they needed, in case there wasn't enough to go around.  They definitely didn't plan on building a boat big enough for The Great 8.  (The Great 8 comment she made, made me laugh out loud.)

Edited by peach
  • Love 4

Eva talked about "clearing the air" with Jeff but he was the one being nice and conciliatory, and she was the one yelling and complaining. She certainly didn't apologize for the way she had been acting!

That was some serious narcissistic manipulative manure. They owed her an apology for the audacity of having their own--warranted--thoughts about her group? And then when she CRIED about being an only child...an only child y'all. Think of the struggle!

She only wanted to "share" just enough to show Jeff he was wrong about her and her group being weak links. It had nothing to do with sharing and everything to do with feeding her grossly inflated ego.

Edited by anonymiss
  • Love 16

That was some serious narcissistic manipulative manure. They owed her an apology for the audacity of having their own--warranted--thoughts about her group? And then when she CRIED about being an only child...an only child y'all. Think of the struggle!

I'm married to an only child.  She LOVED being an only child.  Has said many times over the years she wouldn't have it any other way.

• Love 3

She only wanted to "share" just enough to show Jeff he was wrong about her and her group being weak links. It had nothing to do with sharing and everything to do with feeding her grossly inflated ego.

I thought it was also a "let's feel good about ourselves" moment.  

There are some survivors I didn't like, some I felt neutral about, but the only one I'm disappointed in is Laura.

• Love 2

THIS^^^^

That is all.

• Love 4

Eva "clearing the air" is nothing more than tarnishing the accomplsihment of Jeff, the one true hunter and alpha in the group.  Even EJ did not even kill anything but cactus.....and I was waiting for when he will cut himself in the 40 days like his suruvival tenures.  Eva just wanted to put someone down so she can put herself up and justify her pathetic attempt at survival.  She did nothing of worth...except bitch.  Fact is, Jeff "FED THEM 3 GIANT eels"  and her group didn't even offer a bite of their stingray. 

As for that caiman.....how "fortuitous" for Laura to be so lucky every time.  Remember her first survival outing, there just "happen" to be 2 lobsters in her trap just when they are approaching extraction.  So this time, wow, a "small" caiman while they happen to be walking by and right after she said on her "diary interview" that she still has something left to prove........of all the caimans in that place, they just "happen" to come across a small one with 3 of them.........and they managed to catch it despite prior encounters of not even being able to catch anything of worth.......i hope that caiman wasn't too drowsy from the tranquilizers from the producers.  Let's face it, without that caiman, thsoe six idiots were not gonna make extraction cause they were ready to fall and have no energy to cross that river.  Yeah, I was cheering on the caiman.

And by gosh, who was the first to "yap" about not sharing any to Jeff and EJ?  You guessed it.  The parasaite Alana...who probably join the show just to lose weight or cover up her anorexia.  Can't blame the production "editing" on that little outburst of hers.....that was all her.

This show, I was cheering for Jeff and mother nature.  I was cheering for the piranhas or anacondas to eat the 6.  I was cheering for that caiman to bite them.  I was cheering for that river to drown them.  Hunger does show the true nature of people.  This is mine ....but at least I don't blame it on the hunger.

• Love 7

Eva "clearing the air" is nothing more than tarnishing the accomplsihment of Jeff, the one true hunter and alpha in the group.  Even EJ did not even kill anything but cactus.....and I was waiting for when he will cut himself in the 40 days like his suruvival tenures.  Eva just wanted to put someone down so she can put herself up and justify her pathetic attempt at survival.  She did nothing of worth...except bitch.  Fact is, Jeff "FED THEM 3 GIANT eels"  and her group didn't even offer a bite of their stingray. 

As for that caiman.....how "fortuitous" for Laura to be so lucky every time.  Remember her first survival outing, there just "happen" to be 2 lobsters in her trap just when they are approaching extraction.  So this time, wow, a "small" caiman while they happen to be walking by and right after she said on her "diary interview" that she still has something left to prove........of all the caimans in that place, they just "happen" to come across a small one with 3 of them.........and they managed to catch it despite prior encounters of not even being able to catch anything of worth.......i hope that caiman wasn't too drowsy from the tranquilizers from the producers.  Let's face it, without that caiman, thsoe six idiots were not gonna make extraction cause they were ready to fall and have no energy to cross that river.  Yeah, I was cheering on the caiman.

And by gosh, who was the first to "yap" about not sharing any to Jeff and EJ?  You guessed it.  The parasaite Alana...who probably join the show just to lose weight or cover up her anorexia.  Can't blame the production "editing" on that little outburst of hers.....that was all her.

This show, I was cheering for Jeff and mother nature.  I was cheering for the piranhas or anacondas to eat the 6.  I was cheering for that caiman to bite them.  I was cheering for that river to drown them.  Hunger does show the true nature of people.  This is mine ....but at least I don't blame it on the hunger.

i hope that caiman wasn't too drowsy from the tranquilizers from the producers.  Let's face it, without that caiman, thsoe six idiots were not gonna make extraction cause they were ready to fall and have no energy to cross that river.  Yeah, I was cheering on the caiman.

Thank you, lovebug.  Even with the tranquilizers, the caiman almost got away.  

• Love 3

Going to leave my comment and then go back and read all the other comments. 

I found the finale a real let down.  I discovered that I just didn't care if they made it, worse, I was rooting against most of them.  I wanted EJ and Jeff to leave the Lazy6 in the dust instead of showing up last.  I like EJ and Jeff and I absolutely respect their choice to leave early but I have to shake my head.  They do over do it with everything they build and the raft was no exception (they just don't have good enough paddles for that kind of set up). 

I appreciate that Eva reached out but I still have no time for her after what happened with Dani.  I guess a week wasn't long enough for me to forgive.  She does get points for not letting the rest of the group hog the caiman. (She loses points for delivering it with a snotty attitude.) It was obvious that Alana and Chris weren't going to share.  I also hate that I just know that they think one caiman (an apparently a couple small lizards) equals three eels.  Sigh. 

It felt like the Lazy6 were purposely trying to project a different image than they'd done the previous few weeks, like they knew how bad they were going to look, but I just didn't buy into it.  I didn't believe it was anything other than self satisfied congratulatory pats on their backs designed to make each other look good. 

I think it was also clear that had the show gone on longer, EJ was going to be the Lazy6's next target.  They couldn't pick Jeff because he was their meal ticket, but EJ, they were already suggesting he did nothing.  Maybe the after show next week will give me some closure. 

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 4

Best part of the episode was when the dolphins showed up.  

After the reunion, I don't want to see any of those people anymore.

Shows how much a lost cause I was, I was annoyed they got to see the dolphins.  Dolphins are for people I like. 

• Love 13

About EJ:  he did his part in killing the first 2 eels, in building the alpha male shelter, etc.

I do think he was largely dependent on Jeff in the end, though. Poor guy lost over 70 lbs in that 40 days!! He was so emaciated, I can only *hope* he will be able to recover his strength and vitality over time.

• Love 4

Wonder if Eva would have made it if the medic had "not interfered" with her cut finger early on?

Wonder if a medic could have "not interfered" with Hakim or Shane?

Edited by Liberty
  • Love 4

About EJ: he did his part in killing the first 2 eels, in building the alpha male shelter, etc.

I do think he was largely dependent on Jeff in the end, though. Poor guy lost over 70 lbs in that 40 days!! He was so emaciated, I can only *hope* he will be able to recover his strength and vitality over time.

Well, he did his best, it's just that Jeff was superb with fishing stuff, it really was a great place for him to put his expertise into practice.
  • Love 3

Wonder if Eva would have made it if the medic had "not interfered" with her cut finger early on?

Wonder if a medic could have "not interfered" with Hakim or Shane?

Good point, though I doubt if temporary medical intervention would have kept Shane from tapping out. He was fed up with the harpys.

As far as Hakim is concerned, though, I was watching and waiting for the production crew to send him a medic that could at least have determined if Hakim was dangerously dehydrated -as they have done a couple of times earlier in 2-person challenges. In the past, medics have even given IV fluids to sick survivors, and I think Hakim probably would have made it to the end if they'd done it for him. 

--But they never did!!

• Love 2

I think the all-stars of this season were Jeff (#1) and Danielle.  Jeff for obvious reasons.  His hunting fed not only himself and EJ, but most of the others as well.  Good chance nearly all the big group would have tapped out had Jeff not shared his eels with them. 

The only person Jeff did not feed was Danielle.  She fed herself.  Along with her other skills, I think she was the one person in the big group able to survive on her own.

I again found this the most fascinating NA season -- by far.  Watching the social structures rise and crumble, in just a few weeks or even days, hints at some of the challenges people face in building societies, of whatever size. 

• Love 5

The only person Jeff did not feed was Danielle.  She fed herself.  Along with her other skills, I think she was the one person in the big group able to survive on her own.

I agree that she did feed herself but her going with the strategy of "lazy" survival translated on screen to me as letting Shane do a butt load of work in the beginning that she therefore did not have to use calories for.  I don' t think she would have made it without the help of Shane and then the rest in the group for things like shelter and fire and water.   I found it telling that she and Alana lost the least amount of weight. 

• Love 7

BkWurm1, I think confrontation makes Danielle very uneasy, so she avoids it.  Shane was just wacky/scary enough -- Alana was just supportive enough -- that Danielle went with the Alana flow. 

IIRC, Shane did not thrive on his own.  He returned to the two women for help.  Jeff and EJ were a lifeline for him. 

I saw Danielle the season before, when she was partnered with one man.  My memory is that she was able to do it all -- shelter, food, fire, water.  Maybe I'm wrong, but my sense is that she did not need Shane's work to get along.  She was doing fine there, at her first camp, with plenty of fruits and plants to eat.  Think I read that production forced her to move across the savanna and join the others. 

Here's hoping for another group season.  But instead of starting in teams of 3, I'd like them to all start together, and then see how they function, work together, split up, etc. 

It always surprises me that almost no one can fashion shoes or sandals.  I guess they are really hard to make, given the tools and time the survivalists have? 

• Love 2

It always surprises me that almost no one can fashion shoes or sandals.  I guess they are really hard to make, given the tools and time the survivalists have? 

we've seen people do it in the 21 day challenges.  I was actually surprised no one creating clothing like people have done in past shows either.  Danielle (EMT) was making the hats by weaving so i'm not sure why she couldn't have creating other items.  It's not like they didn't have enough time lol 

I thought for sure EJ and Jeff were dead in the water in their boat. Of course I should know better.  The "we're here!" when they reached the shore of the island seemed a little fake to me. 

• Love 3

Shows how much a lost cause I was, I was annoyed they got to see the dolphins.  Dolphins are for people I like. 

This pretty much sums up my reaction to this show. I was pissed about the dolphins actually. I did think Jeff and EJ should o gotten the dolphins.

Random thoughts:

Danielle came across as simple minded.

Alana speaks out of the side of her mouth like an old timey gangster or Popeye. I was waiting for her to start calling people doll face.

• Love 2

Jeff has made a statement on his Facebook page that sums it up nicely: 

It's about time that I step-up to the plate and set the story straight.
This is going to be a rather long post but I promise you, this is the truth that everybody has been asking for.
Many of you have witnessed how a couple of the other cast members have made accusations that the editing of the show was unfair and untrue. Many of you have also witnessed these people making excuses as to why EJ and I were more successful. This is my response to these claims:
I watched the same show on television as everybody else, and I can tell you that I believe the show did an excellent job of depicting the reality of what really happened out there in the jungle. And no this is not because I was shown in a positive light, this is because it is the truth.
After we met up with the other group at Parana Lake it became clear that there were two completely different survival strategy's being used. The other group wanted to save calories and save energy and perform the least amount of work necessary to make it to day 40. While EJ, Shane and I did not just want to make it to day 40 but we wanted to dominate & thrive. And we were willing to put in as much effort as it required in order to make that happen. As the show progressed it became clear that EJ and I were obtaining a higher level of success. Now why is this?
Certain members of the other group would have you believe that it is because of luck. Or maybe because we arrived at the lake first. Or maybe because we scream so loud that we scared all the animals away.
What do you think? Was it good luck? Hard work? Was it because we prayed to God? Or was it one of the other reasons given by the other group? I cannot answer this for you, but this is for you to decide. All I can do is give you the facts, and here they are:
EJ and I woke up every morning at 5:30 to begin hunting and often did not arrive back at camp until well after dark. We also believe in the power of prayer and a day did not go by when we did not rely on God and ask for His help. Several members of the other group slept in almost every morning. And some of them laid in the dirt next to the fire for the majority of the day.
Some have even suggested that the three electric eels that we shared with the other group did not help them get to day 40. Again, I cannot tell people what to believe I can only give the facts:
The amount of calories they received from the 3 eels was near to what they obtained throughout the entire challenge on their own. We offered to share all of that food because we knew that God blessed us with this food and that He would want us to share. I stand by this decision and I believe it was the right thing to do. But it hurts when some now claim that "it didn't really help them that much".
The claims that these people are making about the editing are bold and clear. Was the editing, as they claim, the reason for our success and their perceived failures? Was the editing the reason that Shane was picked on and bullied? Was editing the reason that Dani Julien was bullied and eventually tapped out because of it? Again I cannot answer this for you, I can only tell you the facts.
What you saw on television was the truth. EJ and I worked harder and were more successful. The other group struggled to obtain food and they struggled to be kind to one another and thus several of their teammates were exiled. They do not like what they see when they look in the mirror, and so they are minimizing the Alpha Teams success's. And they are publishing statements which exaggerate the truth.
I am not a better survivalist then anybody else. I know my weaknesses and I know the mistakes that I made during the 40 day challenge. The #1 mistake being not to bring Dani J. into our group. I am not perfect and I admit to the mistakes that I made. And I own my failures. And I will not hide from them.
However, God blessed me with great success out there in the jungles of Colombia, and I give all the credit and glory to Him. And when others try to come and discredit these wonderful blessings and miracles, I must stand up and defend the truth. These are my words.
-Jeff Zausch

Source: https://www.facebook.com/zauschjeff/posts/875395999215861:0

• Love 16

That was awesome, Clare Walks!

I do have to agree with Jeff, that he and EJ messed up when they didn't take Dani into their group. I can understand why they would be concerned that it would make all 3 of them targets of the other group's nastiness and drama, but Dani would have helped however she could, and they would have respected her need for 'alone time'. 

And they really could have used another person helping with the extraction!

• Love 5

Sucks that EJ and Jeff took Shane in, but not Dani. especially after she explained being ostracized. Good that Jeff owns it, but a little late. I thought it was pretty weak in the What Would Jesus Do sense. I'd have taken her in a heartbeat even if it caused extra stress on my duo team..... well... just because and to help her get out of that unbearable situation with that group. Her crimes were taking a walk in peace, not bothering people, and not gossiping. CRIMES! I just hate bullies. I've never been bullied that I can recall, but I like to help the bullied - even as an adult. It happens. It is just more subtle. THe whispering, the leaving someone out. People have feelings. Sheesh. And they displayed their cruelty and sniping on TV. Awesome. Harder to weasel out of it now.

• Love 6