Type keyword(s) to search

S21: Nick Carter: As Long As You Love Him

• Start Topic

Created an account just to chime in on this board!

I'm part of the younger crowd, I guess, still a HUGE boy band fan, and Howie always has, always will be my favorite. I have a soft spot for the ones in the background. I was one of those weirdos that loved both *NSYNC and BSB back in the day, but BSB always had a little more of my love and admiration, and holds up way better than *NSYNC does, imo.

This is my first time watching DWTS and I'm definitely here for Nick. Incredibly surprised and proud (is that weird? That seems weird) of his journey on this show (and by how much he's grown up lately- I was not here for his nonsense in their documentary). He's much more humble (and happier) than I ever thought he'd be.

Since I've never watched the show and have zero knowledge in ballroom dancing, I don't know if Nick actually is doing amazing, but he cerainy seems like it. I'm pretty impressed with what he's done, especially with this latest dance. And I totally teared up when he and Sharna danced to Backstreet's Back.

Mostly I'm just really excited others still share my love for these goofy boys!

• Love 4

Glad to see another Howie fan in this discussion. I'm the same age as Nick, but out of all the guys in BSB, he was the one who appealed the least to me. Can't pinpoint why. He's made me more of a fan after being on this show. It's been nice to witness the human side of him, in addition to his professionalism. I thought the dance they had this week was wonderful and the scores well deserved. Rooting for him to take it all.

Edited by Jobo05
  • Love 2

Can we talk baby names or is that off-topic?

Nick Carter Reflects on His Big Dancing With the Stars Baby Reveal and Finally Getting a Perfect Score http://www.eonline.com/news/712513/nick-carter-reflects-on-his-big-dancing-with-the-stars-baby-reveal-and-finally-getting-a-perfect-score

Why Nick Carter Revealed His Wife’s Pregnancy Live on Dancing with the Stars  http://celebritybabies.people.com/2015/11/03/nick-carter-wife-pregnant-dancing-with-the-stars-live-announcement/

I thought this was cute!

Lauren recalled Nick’s first hands-on experience with children while on the road with the Backstreet Boys.

“James was our first experience with the kids. I wasn’t around when Baylee was a baby and Nick was off and running at that time

“But James – Howie’s first son – was our first experience with a child on tour and I remember we were all backstage one day waiting and they were ready to go out on stage and Howie handed him James.

“James slapped him in the face and made a laughing sound. Nick was at first very uncomfortable, but then started laughing and you could all of a sudden see this parental instinct kicking in. It was funny.

But it’s adorable Ava McLean who has most significantly activated Nick’s paternal instincts, according to AJ.

“He’s got the biggest crush on my daughter in a non-weird way,” he told us last year. “She was a little weird around Nick at first because it was her first time on the road and she didn’t know what the hell was going on. We would have our group prayer before the show and go around the circle and she would high-five everybody and when it came to Nick she was a little skittish.

“Then all of a sudden [months later], she looked at Nick and gave him a hug and you could just see Nick melt for a second.

“Nick’s just infatuated with her and he sees how it’s changed me and I know he wants that.

“Whenever he’s around Ava he’s got that glow. I never thought he would have that because of his family and what he’s been through. To now see him gravitating towards [Lauren’s] family and her dad, and wanting to be a family man is such a great growth. I love being a Backstreet Boy, but the best job in the world is being a father and I think that’s exactly what Nick is going to feel when he has that first moment when he holds his child in his arms.”

And while AJ always suspected Nick and Lauren – who also revealed last night they had suffered a miscarriage – would have a girl, he may be slightly relieved to welcome a son instead.

The pair once joked about the hazards of having a daughter.

“One of my friends has three girls and two weeks after we had Ava he told me the most disturbing advice,” says AJ. “I told it to Nick once and he just started cracking up, then he freaked out for a minute.

“My buddy said, ‘’If you have a boy you only have to worry about one penis. If you have a girl you have to worry about thousands!’”

CONGRATS Nick and Lauren on your amazing news. The Backstreet Army can’t wait to welcome Baby Carter into the world!

http://www.backstreetboys.com/news/262413

Created an account just to chime in on this board!

I'm part of the younger crowd, I guess, still a HUGE boy band fan, and Howie always has, always will be my favorite. I have a soft spot for the ones in the background. I was one of those weirdos that loved both *NSYNC and BSB back in the day, but BSB always had a little more of my love and admiration, and holds up way better than *NSYNC does, imo.

This is my first time watching DWTS and I'm definitely here for Nick. Incredibly surprised and proud (is that weird? That seems weird) of his journey on this show (and by how much he's grown up lately- I was not here for his nonsense in their documentary). He's much more humble (and happier) than I ever thought he'd be.

Since I've never watched the show and have zero knowledge in ballroom dancing, I don't know if Nick actually is doing amazing, but he cerainy seems like it. I'm pretty impressed with what he's done, especially with this latest dance. And I totally teared up when he and Sharna danced to Backstreet's Back.

Mostly I'm just really excited others still share my love for these goofy boys!

Howie gave Nick dancing tips/lessons during Dead 7 filming. Maybe he should do DWTS!

Edited by Brownie
  • Love 1

I'm glad that Nick didn't have to the do the cruise event...prep time disadvantage I think (ship departing in NY!). And he was probably not as interested since they do the BSB cruise like every year. I noticed that most of the cabins were already sold out for 2016 cruise in Europe...so expensive.  They are draining their fans' cash in every possible way lol. And speaking of cash, I recently bought the BSB Box Set Series collectible...worth it imo (rare songs on there). Per twitter, the scheduled studio time is pushed back to January =/  That rumor of Nick being on DWST tour might be true...

• Love 1

Hello Jessica Rabbit. I seriously can't get over how much I like Sharna's dress. It's like ... sparkly water.

Nick is the only person I watch with any sort of attention. They show is on, but I don't really pay attention like I do with his dances.

Brian always seems like he's on speed to me. So different than what I imagined his personality to be like (from photos? his singing? I have no idea what I ever based that opinion on).

But are they going to perform on the show? I know that doesn't really happen anymore, not with the results show gone, but ... I think it'd make a lot of people happy.

Did Howie spill the news of Nick going on tour? I mean, it's likely, but did he say "see Team SharNick on tour"?

Brian always seems like he's on speed to me. So different than what I imagined his personality to be like (from photos? his singing? I have no idea what I ever based that opinion on).

I know exactly what you mean and personally I loved his personality (please don't kill me #offtopic)

Did Howie spill the news of Nick going on tour? I mean, it's likely, but did he say "see Team SharNick on tour"?

Probably.

Edited by Brownie

I believe Nick Carter is the best dancer this seasion. I have been voting for him from the begining not knowing that Nick and Sharna would be this good together. He continues to impress me each week and I really believe they will win the MBT this year!

I'm very impressed with Nick. I don't remember him being this good in the 90s when the Backstreet Boys were so popular. He'd really improved over the years. Not only dancing but generally. I love how after being so messed up and screwed up in the 2000s, he'd managed to get his life together. He's a good role model for troubled, addicted young and adult artists out there. 

• Love 1

I don't think Howie gave anything away. I was finally able to watch the video at home. I think he was separately saying to vote SharNick and that we'll (BSB) see you on tour. I took that to mean just that when BSB has their next tour, they will see the fans watching.

From the US Weekly article

"She was unstable," he explained. "So on top of everything else I needed to know and didn't learn because of our lack of rehearsals, I had to really put her first and assume that responsibility and really just kind of make sure that she was taken care of," he added.

Sounds like Nick got the short end of the stick, considering his scores were tied to how well Tamar did. I know everyone says Tamar is brave and inspiring, but I just think she's foolish and stubborn. She's sick enough to have to literally disappear to visit the ER and she's worried about getting eliminated in a reality dance competition? I get not wanting to let your partner down, but I think even Val just wants her to stop and put herself first at this point.

That said, I was really, really impressed with Nick and the way he handled the whole thing and how he did step up and make Tamar his priority. He might be one of the most compassionate celebs that's been on the show - not that others haven't wanted the best for their competitors - but Nick has had a chance to really showcase that this experience is something he takes as being bigger than just himself. Not just with Tamar this week; he's done it with Sharna a couple times, too. I really don't think I've seen anything like it from a celeb on the show before. Sharna should be proud.

I also agree that Nick is a great role model for turning your life around and just being a good person. All the Boys are, I think (though I don't think Brian, Howie, or Kevin have had quite the personal struggles like Nick and AJ have, at least not with drugs and addiction). It's going to sound boy-band fangirl, but I'm proud of the band that they've become and I think it's what helps set them apart from the other hundreds of 90s boybands. (Well, that and they're still together and making good music.)

• Love 5

Great interview from AJ on Nick and DWTS http://www.twistmagazine.com/posts/aj-mclean-shares-how-proud-he-is-of-nick-carter-s-dancing-with-the-stars-success-76911

"I could not be more of a proud older brother. I think Nick is really blossoming," AJ dishes to TWIST exclusively. "He's always been an amazing performer, but this is a whole other world. I know I grew up doing these dances, I grew up dancing my entire life, I was classically trained in ballet, jazz, tap, hip hop, I tried gymnastics and failed miserably and went back to ballet... so for me I think I would fit right in. I never tried the foxtrot and all these things but I think I would pick it up pretty well. Nick, I know has never done any of this. He's learned and he's matured on this show, with the schedule and discipline."

"That group performance with Nightmare Before Christmas was the highlight of the season," AJ recalls of his favorite moment of the show. "I'm like fangirling, I haven't missed any shows except one week, and only because we were flying in. I was so mad, I told my wife 'Don't tell me what happens!' because she was there with my daughter, and I stayed off social media because I didn't want to know what went on."

"Nick is fried, I know. He told me he doesn't want to get to the end because he's tired, but obviously he's not going to throw a dance, he's going to bust his buns because he's right there," AJ tells us. "It's so much pressure, I can't even imagine, you have like 2 days to put together huge routines and learn solo stuff. I'm not envious of them."

So does that mean he won't be hitting the ballroom himself, then?

"I was asked by Sharna [burgess] if I would do next season, and I thought not the next season, but maybe the season after," he tells us. "I don't know, it might be hard to be away from my daughter. I'm away from her enough as it is and it sucks."

So what's his prediction for this season's victors? "I think it's going to come down to Bindi and Nick," AJ shares. We shall see!

*Imagines AJ in tights*  #weird   Him doing DWTS could be fun (he is likely the next BSB to do it based on their personalities). And wow, did Nick really say he doesn't want to go all the way to the end b/c he is tired? Get in better shape Nick!

Edited by Brownie

And wow, did Nick really say he doesn't want to go all the way to the end b/c he is tired? Get in better shape Nick!

Like many celebs, Nick may realize it's way harder than it looks. He does have a lot of dance training but not partnering and that's definitely a challenge. 

AJ on DTWS would be amazing. He's got such a sense of style and of course his sound bites would be hilarious. 

Like many celebs, Nick may realize it's way harder than it looks. He does have a lot of dance training but not partnering and that's definitely a challenge. 

AJ on DTWS would be amazing. He's got such a sense of style and of course his sound bites would be hilarious. 

There are people born to be showmen and imo AJ was one of those. He stood out the most to me early in their career, loved the spotlight.  And if he does DWTS, would not be surprised if he gives plenty of stuff for TPTB to work with #ohboy  Wish his legs were younger...

4ztbom.jpg

Edited by Brownie

I kinda find it funny that Derek's fans are trolling Nick online, insecure much? Nick should be ashamed because he is asking for votes? #smh Isn't that the purpose of being on the show, to promote oneself?

Edited by Brownie
  • Love 3

I kinda find it funny that Derek's fans are trolling Nick online, insecure much? Nick should be ashamed because he is asking for votes? #smh Isn't that the purpose of being on the show, to promote oneself?

Everyone on the show asks for votes. Why should Nick be any different just because he might have a larger fan base? I can't with people. 

I'm pretty sure its at the point now where Derek is just as big as a "celebrity" as some of his "celebrities". 

Edited by SiobhanJW
  • Love 3

After seeing how Nick really came through for Tamar and looked after her,I have really developed a new found respect for him. I was not a fan of his band and had others that I have been rooting for in this competition but he has earned my vote when it comes to the finals.

So In my case, Tamar dancing under the weather with him didn't hurt him..it made me want to start voting for him. I'm sure that I am not the only one.

• Love 1

I didn't have any favorites and was going to see who did the best freestyle.  Now, I find myself rooting for Nick because he took really good care of Tamar during their duet.  I also liked how Val told Nick to watch out for her.  Nick had to change his dancing to match her.  It also helps that I do think he's a decent dancer.      Except for Alek, I think the others are decent.  They're good but not exceptional.

• Love 2

I want to vote for Nick, not only because he's more mature and more appealing, but yeah, he took care of Tamar in a very dicey situation. He's earned my respect. 

Edited by Andie1
  • Love 2

Definitely a georgous dress. While I was watching the dance, I was thinking, "I want that dress!"

I loved Nick and Sharna's Quickstep. I thought that Nick was very cool and smooth in that dance.

What I find interesting is thata the judges get on Nick and Sharna for breaking hold during this routine, but when Derek nd Shawn (during the All-Stars season) dance a Quickstep that was barely a quickstep, and hold was broken the judges (with the eception of Len) collectively orgasm over it. Isn't that interesting?

Not to nitpic or bash Derek.

Edited by giaNtsandYankees

In Season 15, they all knocked off points for the broken rules in Derek's and Shawn's Quickstep and also in Nicole's in S10. Interesting too that both these dances received Emmy noms for Derek and in Shawn's, an actual Emmy win. Maybe the fact that both were outstanding dances are the reason for all the praise. This season, they did say Bindi and Derek's QS wasn't their best dance and CAI gave them a 7.

It seems like to me they are totally ignoring a lot of broken rules this season and only pointing them out here and there, very inconsistently. They've really picked on Alek a lot, and for weeks they kept pointing out Bindi's shoulders. They have definitely picked on Nick a lot too. The judging is so erratic and illogical it's hard to actually find a pattern. It's becoming more Helter-Skelter, seat-of-the-pants judging every season without Len there to add a bit of order and reason.

But when you consider the pumping up of Nick (baby shower, BSB guys interviewed, giving him the pimp spot several times), as well as all the gushing praise of Bindi, it does hint that they have wanted to make sure these two are in the finals. I never forget that the producers' job is to present a program that people will watch so advertisers will buy ads, which means making sure their cast draws viewers. Reality show and advertising dollars trumps dance competition every time. That's why the rules become less important.

I'm so disappointed in how little true ballroom is done on the show now and how often the Pros clutter up their dances with way too many troupe members and props, I'm close to decided that this will be my last year. It doesn't surprise me at all that judges are far less lenient when anyone breaks the rules now. Rules are becoming a thing of the past. CAI has never been consistent, however. I'll never forget when she told Amy Purdy she couldn't take off for the lifts in her Disney Waltz and then a few weeks later she told her she had to take off for the lift because she had to be fair.

• Love 1

In Season 15, they all knocked off points for the broken rules in Derek's and Shawn's Quickstep and also in Nicole's in S10. Interesting too that both these dances received Emmy noms for Derek and in Shawn's, an actual Emmy win. Maybe the fact that both were outstanding dances are the reason for all the praise. This season, they did say Bindi and Derek's QS wasn't their best dance and CAI gave them a 7.

It seems like to me they are totally ignoring a lot of broken rules this season and only pointing them out here and there, very inconsistently. They've really picked on Alek a lot, and for weeks they kept pointing out Bindi's shoulders. They have definitely picked on Nick a lot too. The judging is so erratic and illogical it's hard to actually find a pattern. It's becoming more Helter-Skelter, seat-of-the-pants judging every season without Len there to add a bit of order and reason.

But when you consider the pumping up of Nick (baby shower, BSB guys interviewed, giving him the pimp spot several times), as well as all the gushing praise of Bindi, it does hint that they have wanted to make sure these two are in the finals. I never forget that the producers' job is to present a program that people will watch so advertisers will buy ads, which means making sure their cast draws viewers. Reality show and advertising dollars trumps dance competition every time. That's why the rules become less important.

I'm so disappointed in how little true ballroom is done on the show now and how often the Pros clutter up their dances with way too many troupe members and props, I'm close to decided that this will be my last year. It doesn't surprise me at all that judges are far less lenient when anyone breaks the rules now. Rules are becoming a thing of the past. CAI has never been consistent, however. I'll never forget when she told Amy Purdy she couldn't take off for the lifts in her Disney Waltz and then a few weeks later she told her she had to take off for the lift because she had to be fair.

Damseur, I rewatched Shawn and Derek's Quickstep and you are right. I remembered it incorrectly.

• Love 1

I can't get behind the argument that Nick's being pimped because of the baby stuff, his spot dancing, or interviewing BSB. I'm not going to argue that TPTB likely wanted him to stick around, but that's because he comes in with a built-in viewer base (as opposed to someone "normal" like Alek, who people might watch for one week and then forget about the next). Nick is arguably the biggest star they got this season.

They gave baby announcements to Allison and to Alfonso, who isn't even on this season. I think the only reason Nick got a gender reveal was because the media had already spilled the baby announcement.

And getting interviews with BSB? Those guys are his family. It's not any different than getting Bruce Willis or Demi Moore for Rumer last season, or Gary's brother this season. I would argue that it is different than getting the Fab Five for Shawn though. That was pandering and trying to capitalize on current popularity. (It's reasons like that I'm glad Shawn didn't win All Stars.)

The only thing I'd see him getting pimped for is getting to dance in the second half of the show, but that's for ratings, not for a mirrorball. But that's no different than celebs like Nicole, Rumor, or Kristi, who danced in the back half of the show more often than not.

Edited by McManda

What I find interesting is that the judges get on Nick and Sharna for breaking hold during this routine, but when Derek nd Shawn (during the All-Stars season) dance a Quickstep that was barely a quickstep, and hold was broken the judges (with the eception of Len) collectively orgasm over it. Isn't that interesting?

It's difficult to compare seasons, Len was pretty consistent in his criticisms, but leave it to these 3 clowns and anything happens. Bindi and Derek were not docked at all for doing a Rumba  which was actually a Mambo with a lift,  and yet Val and Tamar got docked for an unintentional lift on the Paso Doble in week 8.   CAI applies the rules when the show wants to handcuff a couple, and is blind to them when it's convenient. 

Personally for me, on the QS it's much more difficult to remain in hold and I think it's a litmus test for all the dancers. Quickstep is the only dance that is only International Standard, you don't find it in American Smooth where the rules are relaxed and as such I always could understand why Len was a stickler on this one dance. Tamar did a great QS a first week dance. For me, this is why she was the dancer of the competition.  Nick's dance was theatrical and fun, but Len wouldn't have liked it.

Edited by Andie1
  • Love 1

It's difficult to compare seasons, Len was pretty consistent in his criticisms, but leave it to these 3 clowns and anything happens. Bindi and Derek were not docked at all for doing a Rumba  which was actually a Mambo with a lift,  and yet Val and Tamar got docked for an unintentional lift on the Paso Doble in week 8.   CAI applies the rules when the show wants to handcuff a couple, and is blind to them when it's convenient. 

The judges all unanimously stated that week (famous dances week) they were being very lenient on all the dances that had barely any content, just like Carlos' "Rumba". Any other week they would've gotten slammed, but they stated they were glads to have it slated as Rumba cause it was a dance they didn't really want.

Edited by PBGamer89
  • Love 1

Well as far as I'm concerned there is no consistency in applying the rules. For me, If they want to relax the rules, then make it after the majority have at least completed enough ballroom dances to demonstrate they can do the technique.  All this masking of bad technique with lifts and breaking hold in earlier weeks is a big reason why people aren't in love with the direction this show has taken. 

It doesn't make any sense to say your Rumba can be a Mambo in week 6 but week 7 and week 8 the lift police are back in full force so that even if your feet left the ground unintentionally we'll dock you, oh but you can do anything you want Jazz that isn't and Contemporary that doesn't have much in the way of technique and you'll be scored high. And then the rules for ballroom are relaxed again in week 9 because the choreography is more theatrics than technique.  It feels arbitrary and frankly unfair to those who are earnestly trying to demonstrate proper technique over flash. 

Edited by Andie1

The show was super weird with the Dirty dancing dance. I see no reason to switch it to Rumba. Mambo is a dance style they have done in the past.

But this is definitely not Nick related any more.

Edited by tarotx

The show was super weird with the Dirty dancing dance. I see no reason to switch it to Rumba. Mambo is a dance style they have done in the past.

But this is definitely mot Nick related any more.

Yep! Please take general chat over to General Gabbery. Thanks!

Missed half of the show yesterday, but glad that Nick made it to the final.  Honestly, I'm ready for the end...

Anyway, if Nick and Sharna were to use BSB stuff in the final, what song would you like to see them do?

Personally, I would like to see a more recent BSB material. I think "Trust Me" would be a nice song for a partner dance...it is a fun good feel song that would appeal to the older crowd. Different than their early music.

If Sharna wants to stick to Nick's strength and recreate the concert atmosphere again, "Straight Through My Heart" would be a good choice.

Or going wayyyyy back, "Get Another Boyfriend", anyone?

Secretly, I want them to do a dark and dramatic power ballad freestyle, perhaps "Shattered"...maybe too depressing?

But I have a feeling that if they are going the BSB route, it will most likely be "I Want It That Way" or "Larger Than Life".  No explanations needed.

So what do you guys think, what BSB song would you like to see them use?

Well, Sharna already said that the song she originally chose for the Freestyle didn't clear, so my guess is it won't be a BSB song at all.

Edited by CED9

It might be unpopular but I think I'd be disappointed if Nick won.

He's been very inconsistent and hasn't had a real standout dance. Jazz was only good for nostalgia, but not nearly the heights of the Carlton or Bindi's tribute to her dad and the baby week was too contrived to feel like a moment.

I don't remember any winner really who was horribly inconsistent. Each winner may have had a dance or two that didn't work or fit them, but overall I would say even though I haven't agreed with every winner, I can see reasons for each winner.

I don't think many care about who wins based on dancing, because Bindi does nothing to inspire great dancing. She's merely competent. If she wins it won't be on the best technique in history.  When you have judges especially a sister of a competitor who willfully overlooks her shortcomings to pimp her to a win, color me unimpressed. It will be a lunchbag let down if she wins, but it's not the first time and it won't be the last.

But taking dancing out of the equation, I'd much rather have a beer with Nick and learn more about him, he's infinitely more interesting with a compassion towards his cast mates and a compelling life story, that we learned just a little, than to suck a lollipop with over exposed Bindi.  After all it's about your favorite, not ABC's agenda.  At least that's what the show tells me. 

Edited by Andie1
  • Love 2

I don't think it's about the best dancer either, but I do hope that someone who can dance reasonably well wins. I would have no problem with Carlos, Bindi, or Nick winning, no matter how annoying any of them might be. I do have a problem with Alex winning because the guy sucks. If he wins, Rob Wade will just grab more average Joes off the street and try to pass them off as celebrities. Nothing against the guy, but he can't dance at all. I watch for the dancing anyway, even though I know this isn't Blackpool.

Maybe I am just forgetful, but I do not remember Nick being quite as inconsistent as everyone is saying. He had some bumpy dances with mistakes at the very beginning. I do not remember him having another truly rough dance until Monday night. I can see where people may not have found any of his dances memorable, but I am not sure I would call that inconsistent. I think the judging for him is what has been inconsistent. Sometimes they have fawned all over him and given him awesome scores and sometimes he has been nitpicked beyond some of the other celebs. I will be glad when this is over next week. I had given up on this show long ago and only came back for him. 

• Love 1

I agree. If you watch the dances as a whole back to back, he isn't even close to being as bad or inconsistent as has been said.

Week 1 Cha Cha was fun and clean.

Week 2 Jive was quite good other than the music issue and the slip. The Foxtrot was very good other than his chest to neck posture.

Week 3 Viennese Waltz was fantastic.

Week 4 Jazz did what it was supposed to do, pander to the audience.

Week 5 Switch Up. The actual dance wasn't bad. The song and the pairing with Witney was odd.

Week 6 Samba. Was the Saturday Night Fever number. Was he as good as Travolta? No. Was it good for a DWTS number? Very.

Week 7. The brutal butchering of that Evanescence song that overshadowed the dance no matter what. Fantastic team dance.

Week 8. They won immunity with the Contemporary.

Week 9. Great Quickstep but "blah blah break in hold, blah blah" and the Rumba duet that he spent most of the time taking care of Tamar that the dance was overshadowed.

Week 10. Got shaken up by the package, and ahead of the music a bit. Sharna stopped him for 2 seconds ahead of what was already planned choreo to stop him anyways to get him to relax. Every judge taking off 2 points was utter BS. The Samba dance off. Shouldn't have been unanimous for Bindi, but TPTB shenanigans, and all that. And the Salsa trio. He just had a blast.

It's expectations vs reality. Which is why Bindi is sometimes over praised and they're nitpicky with Nick.

• Love 2