Type keyword(s) to search

Nick Clark: The Walking Depp

• Start Topic

True. He kinda reminds me of Columbus from Zombieland in that respect. As I mentioned in the other thread, he also reminds me of Fear and Loathings' Depp mixed with Elias from Clerks II (plus a couple other Johnny Depp roles.).

Maybe that's where the FEAR part of the show title came from - Fear and Loathing - simply because the actor reminded them so much of Depp (I don't know, just throwing it out there - *shrug*)

• Love 1

Oh, BTW guys. If anyone can come up with better thread titles for the character threads, by all means, come up with something and tell me to change it. It's just there is not much "distinctive" about the characters right now (save for Nick).

I am partial though to Nick's The Walking Depp title - a couple of you suggested it and I think it's perfect.

The character really pops off the screen, mostly due to the strong performance, but I have a hard time seeing him as a character whose severe addiction isn't going to be a millstone around the other characters' necks. I'd say it's even money as to whether he's intended to straighten out and shine or merely exist to give the rest of the cast an excuse to emote in grief at his sticky end.

ETA;

OT (Just like I can't unsee the resemblance of Nick to Johnny Depp characters, mentioning Rob Schneider reminds me that I can't unsee how much Elle King looks like him when they're in the same picture.)

Edited by yuggapukka
  • Love 2

Aside from the hair and maybe eye resemblance, for me it's mainly his mouth.  While it isn't exactly shaped like Depp's, it's small like Depp's and the lip coloring is the same.

GODDAMMIT, now I'm going to have to look at his mouth.  I think I hate you!  :-)

• Love 2

I am not seeing the Johnny Deppness, but whatever floats your boat!

[whispers] maybe some Keanu???

Sacriledge! Out, Out with you!! Don't be insulting the greatness that is Keanu!

Honestly - to ME - I totally see a combo of characters from movies I've seen. Elias from Clerks II, Raoul Duke from Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. The clothes, the mannerisms, the FACE. It's all there, man.

The actor is a young Johnny Depp clone, if he was on heroin. That's what i see - and makes for perfect casting.

And dude's a good actor.

• Love 1

The clothes were funny for the first episode, but seriously? He's at his own house now! Change your clothes! I've never suffered through withdrawal, but I'd like to think comfort is important if I was.  I'd be in yoga pants and a tank top in a second. Got the chills? Grab a hoodie!

• Love 3

I was so distracted with this same thought during episode 3:

At this point, almost everyone else has worn different clothes. The fact that Nick is still in his dead old man drag appears to be a clear and odd choice by the people behind this show.

TWD has cartoony-looking characters because of the source material. Nick's clothes are a deliberate choice by TPTB. I hand-waved episode 2 because he was puking, but if Nick was well enough to play Monopoly he damn well could've showered and changed.

Is it meant to be sly commentary about how kids started dressing like old people a couple of years ago? Elbow patches, tobacco pipes, granny hair…

• Love 1

Ah, the unwanted love child of Johnny Depp and River Phoenix.  Disliked from the get-go but unfortunately he has the best chance of survival in the ZA.  I could have whacked him in the head last night when he bitched to his mummy that she gave half his pills away to a person --with a gaping hole in her in her ankle!-- who actually needed them.  "But I NEED them...wah...  I don't need you Mum, I need my medicine!" *huge pout*  OMG kid.  Can't wait 'til he's weened off his meds and can get a grip already.  Just had to get this off my chest.

• Love 2

I REALLY have no patience with Nick, probably because my parents and I went through the same thing with my brother.  I have to admit, though, that the actor has the self centered, ME, ME, ME, manipulation down pat.  I'll just be glad once they get the character out of that phase.  Although I'm sure we'll see lots of backsliding and temptations in his future.  I hate the junkie drama.

The actor is one of the few on the show that I'm actually enjoying as opposed to mostly rolling my eyes at.  He's doing a pretty good job with what could easily be some thoroughly unlikable material.

I'm also perversely enjoying the fact that the descending zombie apocalypse is a somewhat distant #2 on his list of priorities.  Unwillingly detoxing and whining about needing more drugs is at least more interesting than whining about now dead boyfriends and one too many wives in the house.  I'd still really like him to shower and change though because it's waaaay too early in the series to go full Daryl.

I just need to say this, Im so fucking pissed off the showrunners have apparently decided Nick's costume ("dead old man drag" as one of you put it) I can hardly stand to watch the show. Look, I know when junkies are deep into their needles they tend to be deep in squalor, but by this point, Nick is fairly sober most of the time. Nick is a junkie and junkies are supreme hedonists who value comfort and pleasure over everything (although heroin/coke/meth has become the main pleasure) so Nick, who was in his own home where his own clothes are and his own bathroom filled with his own toiletries would not still be wearing stinking, vomit covered stranger duds. EVEN IF HE WAS THAT FAR GONE, no fucking way his own MOTHER would let him keep wearing that bullshit outfit. His sister would be saying "dude, you smell like literal shit. Go take a bath before we go to the desert asshole." Travis would be saying, "son, I know things are very tough for you right now but please, do everyone a favor and go get in the shower and put on some nice clothes, you're breaking your mother's heart dressed like that and besides, dried vomit is just unsightly." It's just bullshit, Nick would have taken a shower and put on his own damn clothes before they left. If this is going to be his costume for the entire show, I'm out.

• Love 2

Maybe it's gong to be an ongoing quirk that Nick keeps putting on the last thing people took off before they died. Hell, I can live with him sporting his damn hospital souvenirs in entirety or in part as long as we get at least one scene implying it's seen the inside of a washing machine.

Edited by yuggapukka

Okay I guess I am the only one. When I see Nick Clark. I think John Conner. Our subdivision was on the verge of being overrun by the relentless zombie herd. When Nick Clark rose from his heroin induce prescient stupor, and taught us how to stabbed, shoot, bash, and generally crush the brains of those undead MoFo's. Nick saves us all and wears a mean pair of old man pants. 

Nick, Nick, Nick.....I didn't like you before but now I can't stand the sight of you on my TV.  I guess this is what tptb want so they can do a redemption arc but he's past the point of no return for me.  And, ugh, that hair.

• Love 1

Maybe it's gong to be an ongoing quirk that Nick keeps putting on the last thing people took off before they died. Hell, I can live with him sporting his damn hospital souvenirs in entirety or in part as long as we get at least one scene implying it's seen the inside of a washing machine.

For God's sake, then, keep him away from Hooter's!

In the screengrab on the site from right before Madison beats him up, it looks like Nick is wearing a clean white shirt under his coat.  If that's right, we can stop imagining him smelling like a mixture of sweat, death, old man and puke.

• Love 1

Why dont they just let the character have dreadlocks? I mean in some pictures it clearly looks like skinny locks are forming and then in other pictures its that weird, slicked back 'doo, I think dreads would work better for that character.

nickdreads.JPG

• Love 1
On 5/25/2016 at 1:55 PM, diebartdie said:

Why dont they just let the character have dreadlocks? I mean in some pictures it clearly looks like skinny locks are forming and then in other pictures its that weird, slicked back 'doo, I think dreads would work better for that character.

nickdreads.JPG

"Deadlocks" in this case.

• Love 1
On 9/6/2015 at 0:09 PM, NurseGiGi said:

I love the title.  Still on the fence about Nick, though.  His resemblance to Depp is not helping, either.  And please let him shower and wash that hair soon!  He reeks of pee, blood, and vomit from my TV screen!!

And here we are, almost 2 years later and no visible progress on the hygiene front.

Love Frank Dillane's Nick the Unwashed character.  I've always been a fan of his father, and remember him from some DVD extras when he was little.  Adorable.   Now he's extremely photogenic, seems at ease in front of camera, and shows some natural acting talent.  I think he could easily be the next Depp.