Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E06: Say Hello To Hollywood

Jeff and his team settle into their new Hollywood office, yet human-resources issues dog them. Meanwhile, one star employee begins to lose her focus, and Jeff tries to determine how to keep his clients happy.

RIP Joe.  :(    It's all for the best though.  I felt so bad for Vanina.  Jeff didn't even really apologize for throwing her under the bus!   

Next week looks good!  Jeff may have said the wrong snarky thing to Gage! 

• Love 3

Vanina's too good for that office.  I wonder why she stays?  Does Jeff really think that his employees feel like they can go to him about issues that they are having?  He is constantly barking at them, disparaging them behind their backs, treating some of them like idiots.  He's pretty much the worst boss.

Joe is really young and immature and this was very clearly the wrong office for him.  Those who "succeed" at Jeff's are independent, experienced and self-starting. Is this his first job?  Did he even have any relevant job experience?  Did Jeff hire him because he's a cute little twink?  Yeah, he was a major fuck up but he should have just been fired after that photo mishap with that client, not downgraded to Zoila's bitch or whatever his position was there at the end.

• Love 2

I felt bad for Vanina too.  We were finally starting to see her doing work and speaking up and for a few minutes I thought she might be leaving and Joe staying.  She must have felt just horrible being confronted with the entire group around.  I wouldn't expect anyone to speak up for her/disagree with Jeff with the way he sets things up.  Everyone there knows there is only Jeff's way or the highway.

What Jeff said to Gage in the previews made me sit up and say "Oh no you didn't!!!"

• Love 2

I missed the show and my Comcast doesn't have it On Demand.  Can anyone tell me what Jeff said to Gage in the previews?  I'm just curious.

They were discussing furniture placement in a small room and i think jeff was irritated not enough furniture would fit and jeff made a comment about it won't even fit 6 people and gage made a snark like what 6 people? and it cuts to jeff saying he's going to have boys lined up in that room and i think something about them being younger and cuter than gage?

of course it was edited so who knows it was even in the same convo. 

• Love 3

They were discussing furniture placement in a small room and i think jeff was irritated not enough furniture would fit and jeff made a comment about it won't even fit 6 people and gage made a snark like what 6 people? and it cuts to jeff saying he's going to have boys lined up in that room and i think something about them being younger and cuter than gage?

of course it was edited so who knows it was even in the same convo. 

I think the editing of the preview makes it seem Gage is upset about that comment, but I'm not sure he will be. He should be, IMO, but I don't know if that's how he and Jeff joke a lot.  I do think Jeff hires these pretty young useless twinks (Joe looks a lot like the one from a few years ago...Trace?) because he enjoys having young, pretty boys around though. 

• Love 2

I felt bad for Vanina too.  We were finally starting to see her doing work and speaking up and for a few minutes I thought she might be leaving and Joe staying.  She must have felt just horrible being confronted with the entire group around.  I wouldn't expect anyone to speak up for her/disagree with Jeff with the way he sets things up.  Everyone there knows there is only Jeff's way or the highway.

I was going to say the same thing. I felt bad for Vanina, too. She seems very competent and not a drama queen or troublemaker, but I was surprised she expected anyone to stand up for her in that situation. That would just be asking for trouble, even though some of them probably knew she wasn't at fault there.

It was nice to see just a tiny shred of compassion from Zoila when Joe was fired. Didn't quite make up for all the "sweetie" stuff or her general sourness, but I'll take it. I know she won't miss the 50 stairs at Gramercy, but it was probably the only exercise she was getting, since she refuses to do most of her job these days.

• Love 2

While I do feel really bad for Vanina, I have to say that how Jeff is/acts as a boss and business owner isn't so unusual.  There are a LOT of asshole bosses/business owners who will yell, deflect blame, act like a dick (either with reason or without), and not really care about their employee's feelings.  Afterall, the bottom line is that the failures and the successes achieved at the hands of the employees does reflect the business as well as the boss/business owner.  It obviously doesn't make it right, but it happens quite a bit.  However, I think the difference between most of these asshole bosses/business owners and Jeff is that ultimately, Jeff does care about his employees and does regret and/or show remorse if they are feeling negatively about the job in some way.  I think while Jeff will always be Jeff, I think he will be more conscious of how the work is affecting Vanina going forward and will adjust accordingly (for the most part).  Being in Vanina's shoes also isn't unusual; lots of businesses have at least one or a few employees that do well and go above and beyond 9 times out of 10, so it's not uncommon that that person tends to take the fall for mistakes made by others.  This is often because their superiors get used to them always doing well and getting the job done that when that rare mistake occurs, it's going to stand out.  It's exactly like how Jeff described - Vanina is like a straight A student who suddenly brought home a C.  A parent is going to notice that and grill them to know why it happened just like a boss is going to immediately zoom in on it and address it.  Again, it's not right, but it happens quite a bit.

Adios, Joe.  Hope you were able to find your way back home without getting lost and ending up in Mexico.

• Love 3

On the one hand, I definitely feel bad for Vanina.   She is taking a lot on and she's taking a lot of blame.

On the other, it's Jeff Lewis.  If your office is full of inappropriate conversation, comments and martinis, what do you expect?  Certainly not going to be your typical office.

While I find Jeff immensely entertaining and his imitations NEVER fail to set me into fits of laughter, working with him would be tough.  He is a perfectionist and seems to be the type of person who, while caring for his employees, also expects them to hit the ground running.  He is clearly generous (not only gifting Zoila with a Mercedes but keeping her around - - and it looks like Vanina was also driving a Mercedes this episode) and takes a lot of pride in his work. 

I'm sorry to see Joe go but this obviously was not the place for him.  I certainly hope that he wasn't truly let go in front of the cameras and it was a recreation.  Bad enough that EVERYONE in the office had to be included without having it happen unexpectedly on camera.

• Love 3

Didn't Jeff a season or so ago pay for a boob job for Vanina? Am I misremembering? 

I'm pretty sure you're thinking of Jeff gifting Zoila with a facelift (and maybe lipo, but I'm not sure about that).  I don't think Vanina ever got plastic surgery and she really, really doesn't strike me as the type to want that, accept that from Jeff, or even have that on TV.  LOL

Edited by LIGirl

I'm pretty sure you're thinking of Jeff gifting Zoila with a facelift (and maybe lipo, but I'm not sure about that).  I don't think Vanina ever got plastic surgery and she really, really doesn't strike me as the type to want that, accept that from Jeff, or even have that on TV.  LOL

Jeff did indeed pay for her implants they talk about the final result here. But they also showed the entire office talking about what size she should get and showed her consultation and her in the recovery room.

• Love 3

I'm so bored and irritated with the ongoing Jeff Lewis pissiness. A meltdown over pillows, really?

It says a lot about the people who choose to stay with him - as others have noted, why would anyone work for such a jerk on a long-term basis? Vanina, get out of there and use your talent elsewhere.

When someone buys others expensive gifts, it makes the recipients grateful and probably willing to do one's bidding. The lordly gift-giving can be a control gesture.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Love 2

Jeff paid for Vanina's implants? WTF? What an odd boss/employee relationship. I kind of understood him gifting Zoila with plastic surgery because he's always said that she's like a mother to him, but wow. Vanina seems so quiet and professional that I just find this all very surprising.  don't know how I completely missed that storyline when I've watched almost every episode.

I felt bad when Vanina teared up during the TH. I'm sure the expectations for Vanina are sky high because she's such a reliable employee.

Poor Joe. He looks like he's not a day over 16. I figured he was going to get fired, but not this soon. I found it funny that Jeff was annoyed about Joe taking selfies at work, but come on, their office is so unprofessional that he probably didn't think anything of it. I don't get where Jeff draws the line and I don't think Joe did either.

Edited by trimthatfat

I personally know two people who were fired from VERY GOOD JOBS because of what they posted on social media about their work.  The ironic thing is that the 2nd person also knows the 1st person I knew that got fired because of that and she did it anyways!

KIDS - KEEP YOUR WORK STUFF OF THE INTERNETS! THEY WILL FIND YOU.

Jeff paid for Vanina's implants? WTF? What an odd boss/employee relationship. I kind of understood him gifting Zoila with plastic surgery because he's always said that she's like a mother to him, but wow. Vanina seems so quiet and professional that I just find this all very surprising.  don't know how I completely missed that storyline when I've watched almost every episode.

I felt bad when Vanina teared up during the TH. I'm sure the expectations for Vanina are sky high because she's such a reliable employee.

Poor Joe. He looks like he's not a day over 16. I figured he was going to get fired, but not this soon. I found it funny that Jeff was annoyed about Joe taking selfies at work, but come on, their office is so unprofessional that he probably didn't think anything of it. I don't get where Jeff draws the line and I don't think Joe did either.

At that point I think he was just looking for an excuse and anything would have been sufficient. 

• Love 2

Even if he was looking for any excuse, I'm really tired of how it's not clear as to what's acceptable and what's crossing the line when new employees join Jeff's team. I know this isn't new on this show or with Jeff's company, but it just bugs me a lot.

With both Joe and Andrew, Jeff has said he kept them as employees even when everyone else said they should be fired. Why can't he hire competent assistants? It's really not that hard. There are plenty of young, professional people who would hustle hard as Jeff's assistant so why he keeps hiring people who clearly are not equipped to do the work, I don't get it.

OK, I just want to mention it's nice to see some familiar 'names' here posting.

I remember Vanina getting implants but I do question Jeff paying for them.  He definitely paid for Zoila's plastic surgery.

• Love 2

OK, I just want to mention it's nice to see some familiar 'names' here posting.

I remember Vanina getting implants but I do question Jeff paying for them.  He definitely paid for Zoila's plastic surgery.

Her implants were a 'gift' from Jeff.  The entire office talked about what size she should get.  It was a bit off-putting to say the least.

• Love 2

I felt bad for Vanina also but then remembered this is a "reality" show so much of it ( if not the majority of what we see on air) is scripted and planned out ahead of time for drama and effect. A few years ago a reality show (can not recall the name right now) was filmed here in my city that involved people buying homes at auctions and then fixing them up to sell them. A friend of a friend who I met after the season was filmed but not all episodes were aired yet was one of the property guys bidding on houses, flipping them, etc. he really opened my eyes about how unreal the reality is! They were often asked to film "spontaneous" scenes over and over again to get it right. producers suggested to the people on the show how to discuss or present things on air to "keep audience interested". The producers wanted to have an underdog in each episode, etc!