Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E09: The Wedding To-Do List 2015.07.30

• Start Topic

(edited)

Michael and Brandon meet with a wedding planner; Lawson gets his wisdom teeth pulled.

Loved one of the boys' description of Lawson: "His tolerance for pain is ZERO PROCENTO."  This family's ability to joke around and tease each other is what I appreciate most about them.

It was also nice to hear that Brandon's idea of a small wedding is 50 people, not 999.  Not a huge fan of the brown tuxes, but Brandon pulled it off.  

Tori and Carlin, please butt out.

Edited by IndianPaintbrush
  • Love 7
(edited)

Omg, that phone call in the beginning just killed me. Brandon had NO idea who was calling him. It took a full five seconds before he realized it was his freaking fiancee on the line. He's been dating her for two years and can't recognize the sound of her voice? Good grief. I know guys don't really get excited over details, but Brandon is treating this wedding like it's something he needs to squeeze in between the company picnic and his semi annual tooth cleaning. Michael is more than happy to go along, but I feel bad for her.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 3

Nathan was funny when he said the dad cries when the girls walk down the aisle because he is discovering all of the things he bought.

I love how this family jokes around and not take everything so seriously.

Tori and Carlin are annoying. If I had to have a chaperone, I would take one of the older boys, they wouldn't say so much.

• Love 7
(edited)

It was also nice to hear that Brandon's idea of a small wedding is 50 people, not 999.  Not a huge fan of the brown tuxes, but Brandon pulled it off. 

He really did and I was really surprised. Very few could pull of brown tuxes. 

Tori and Carlin, please butt out.

Those two are so annoying. Brandon and Michael are much nice to them then I would

have been I'd have lost patience with them along time ago and told them to shut up.

Nathan was funny when he said the dad cries when the girls walk down the aisle because he is discovering all of the things he bought.

That was really funny! And possibly true.

Edited by andromeda331
  • Love 3

Michaella has him in her phone by his first, middle, and last name. ??? The screen said "Brandon Timothy Lastname" while they were talking. Strange.

Tory and Carlin are adorable and spunky. I'll take them over the Duggarbot girls any day.

LOL at Lawson's selfie on the way home from surgery!

• Love 3

I assumed that Michael calls Brandon at work where he possibly might not have caller ID and that is why he answers "hello it's Brandon", or maybe, he just answers his phone without really looking at who is calling. Sigh, I do not know, but there has to be some reason. It seems so random. I did laugh at Brandon thinking a small wedding is 50 people, not 500.

I do not mind Tori or Carlin. I enjoyed the last episode with Tori at college. Yeah, it was Crown College, but I am just glad this family lets the girls have some sort of education or skills.

Lawson getting his wisdom teeth out and everyone teasing him was fun. Was it Trace that he asked if he wanted to play basketball as they were trying to get him out of the car?

• Love 3

Every time Brandon is around Tori and Carlin I can just hear him thinking "One more month til this is all over and I only have to see you people at Christmas." When he was at the house one of the smaller kids was pulling on him to get his attention and he ignored her. I think Brandon's a nice kid, but he clearly isn't a fan of his in-laws.

I will give him props for pulling off that brown tux though, I didn't think he'd be able to make it work.

During one TH session with Law, Nathan, and Trace on that couch, I suddenly thought "They do not even look REMOTELY related." Like chalk and cheese and chocolate.

I hope Trace grows into his looks at some point.

The Bateses are kind of all over the place in terms of features. You have blondes with blue eyes mixed in with olive skinned brunettes. They're attractive kids for the most part but definitely a mish mash of different looks.

• Love 2

The Bateses are kind of all over the place in terms of features. You have blondes with blue eyes mixed in with olive skinned brunettes. They're attractive kids for the most part but definitely a mish mash of different looks.

Well Addallee is a mini-Michael.  And I'm proud of myself for remembering her name.  The little ones all run together to me.  I just now figured out which one is Josie. (she has a lisp. That's how I remember.)

• Love 1

With Brandon it's like seeing "Mr. Rogers: The Early Years".  He's so formal and wholesome.  He seems like a nice enough young man, but...he has zero sex appeal.  To each his own, I suppose. 

I think some groups of the kids look alike.  Like Michael has some girls that look like her.  Erin has a few littler ones that look like her, and Tori and Alyssa have some girls that look like them.  Each of the older boys have littler ones that look like them too.  (I know the Duggar kids names, but I'm still learning the littler Bates kids names or I would categorize them.)  I don't think it can be said enough, all the Bates kids have way more personality than any of the Duggars.  

• Love 3

I would have thought that someone as cute as Brandon would have some sex appeal -- even once in a while. He has ZERO. There are lots of people who are conservative, but you can see them letting loose and having fun with friends -- even if it's just chatting and eating pizza while not drinking. Brandon -- I can picture him and Michael going to bed at 9 pm every night, when he will change into his old man pajamas -- button ups with matching top and bottom, and then they will sit in bed and read silently until the goodnight peck at 10 pm which will be the sign to turn off the lights. I can picture them living like the couple from the Brady Bunch. Sex will be marked on the calendar 2x a month and will be thought of as an obligation just like taking out the garbage or a business meeting. Seriously -- he is so young and gives off the vibe that he's studying for the priesthood . . . .

He is so over her family though -- at least her siblings. He smiles and gives polite responses, but his hesitations -- like when he said he didn't want to try on the tux bc Tori and Carlin say the first thing that comes to mind -- show that he can't stand them. If the Bates require chaperones, why do Tori and Carlin think that means participating in the date, rather than just going along? I mean if they want to lobby for white gold rings or brown tuxes or whatever -- can't they lobby their sister before going out and then keep their mouths shut? And if they can't -- knowing that it annoys Brandon (I mean I hope Michael can read her man enough to know), why doesn't Michael bring different chaperones? I imagine the preteen boys or even Trace or Nathan wouldn't care about the bowtie color or the ring style and would just stand there.

It was nice to see Carlin (or Tori?) at college last episode though. It's nice to see that Bates kids aren't on the same leash as the Duggars and are allowed to venture out and have their own lives and friends. Carlin said that the social part of college is where it's at, and she was shown eating lunch with a group of students at school including -- gasp -- a boy. Erin has said she met her best friend at college, so it's nice that they can go to school and have their own lives and friends other than their siblings.

• Love 2

Alyssa just became a brunette and now she looks just like Tori and Carlin.

Alyssa and Carlin could be twins. I'm loving the dark hair on her. I'm not sure if that's her natural color and she got tired of maintaining the blonde or what, but it looks really pretty.

• Love 4

Alyssa and Carlin could be twins. I'm loving the dark hair on her. I'm not sure if that's her natural color and she got tired of maintaining the blonde or what, but it looks really pretty.

Agreed.  I've never thought Alyssa looked old, but I do think this hair color makes her look younger.

• Love 2

Brandon is very formal. I assumed it was because he hates cameras, but now I think he's just naturally very rigid. That would drive me crazy if I were Michael, but she loves him, so clearly she see something I don't. I am so curious as to what convinced her that he was the one the first time she saw him.

I agree with others here that it is so nice to see that the family has a sense of humor. There is no maliciousness, just silliness. And *gasp* the parents encourage it. However, Tori and Carlin are an intense duo. They talk a mile a minute and don't pause to breathe. I think it's a little odd Michael brought them to the tux shop - why not one of the brothers?

• Love 2
Did anyone else think it was, well, odd that Lawson was so worried about what he might say when he was under the anesthesia?

Yes! I noticed that.  I actually felt bad for him.  I think he was hoping that his subconscious would not betray him while he was under anesthesia.  I think any normal kid his age might be afraid of what he could say, but I really thought he was hyper-aware of what kind of sexual thoughts go on in his mind on a daily basis, and he was afraid it would pour out. 

He's a teen/lower 20s yr old boy in a very conservative culture. He thinks about sex, what girls are hot etc. and he didn't want that becoming public. Though he didn't realize that with wisdom tooth surgery, he wasn't going to want to talk and if he did -- it's unlikely they'd understand him.

At least Gil and Kelly seem like cool parents who'd laugh it off. Unlike their fundie friends -- who'd probably send a teen off to reprogramming camp if he uttered anything sexual even under sedation.

• Love 1

Well darn I don't think I've got most of this stuff on my DVR.  I only saw Brandon when he came to the house with his dimples and he barely put up with all the chaos.  Clearly he will be the master of his house, and he does have a compliant bride.  I don't see a partnership, holding hands, laughing relationship here at all, and it would be important, in fact vital, for me.  But whatever.  I'd say whatever floats your boat but I don't see them as having a boat to float.

What's with all the bad teeth of the Bates, Duggers and others.  My own mother loved to run me to the doctor or dentist all the time, and I hated it then and hate it now.  She took me to the dentist for braces since all the other kids had them and the dentist said, forget it, she's got a perfect bite now.  Made me very happy.  Probably made my father happy too.  

• Love 1

Seriously -- he is so young and gives off the vibe that he's studying for the priesthood . . . .

Honestly I thought that's what they told us about him on the show last season when Michael went to visit him, that he was studying to be a minister.

• Love 1
Brandon seemed really into the "design" of the cake.  Most guys wouldn't care as long as it tasted good.

He seems nice enough, just with a bit of David Waller-ish controlling ways. I think most men wouldn't care about the cake fitting in with the theme either.

• Love 2

Michael always seems like she wants to make sure she says the right thing when Brandon is around. Last season, she surprised him while he was at school, and he kind of acted like she did something wrong. He insinuated she lied to him or misled him. It was very odd. Michael seems happy and that's all that matters, but I could not be with someone as rigid as Brandon.

• Love 8

He seems nice enough, just with a bit of David Waller-ish controlling ways. I think most men wouldn't care about the cake fitting in with the theme either.

He reminds me of David Waller too, unfortunately.

• Love 2