Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E03: Come and Knock On Our Door

• Start Topic

I hope this means no Katie Holmes. I promise not to complain throughout the series about her, but Ep. 02 was painful to watch. I haven't seen her in anything in a long time, and didn't remember her being so wooden. But I'm sure that Ray will find her irresistible and we'll have more with her :frown:

• Love 6

That was a big improvement from last week, and provided some avenues for an interesting season 3, but the writers have some major pitfalls to avoid, the first being Ray getting emotionally attachrd to,and physically involved with Paige Finney. Unfortunately, I doubt the writers will escape that trap. McShane really gave some hints at how he could carry the season; the scene with the governor was terrifically written, and McShane subtly killed....."I really thought this would go more easily" was just perfect in it's understated malice.

• Love 7

So rare to see Ray smile.  I loved that smile at the end, even though I'm guessing it won't take Terry that long to self-destruct.  

Then there's poor Abby grieving over the loss of Dog.  Thanks, Conor.  What a little dweeb.  I probably would've knocked him around some for just letting the dog out without the leash.  But at least it seemed to get Abby moving in the right direction, especially after Abby was educated by the little girl about the easiest way to chase a man away -- by being needy.  

I am FFing Mickey now.  God, what a waste of air.  Everything he touches turns to shit, so the party they're going to have for Terry is going to be a disaster.  And the success of Mickey's little harem of course won't last.  

But I'm not cynical or anything.  

• Love 1

Ray has made some boneheaded decisions in the past but at least this time I could completely understand his choices. He loves his brother and would do anything, even sell himself, to protect Terry.

Mickey, on the other hand, continues to be a complete ass. He has already put up Daryll's car as collatoral and then he leaves Daryll to run the entire coke and hooker business by himself with one car. Then he has the nerve to tell Daryll and Bunchie that he was working with Ray to get Terry out of prison. Ha and the judge "just fell down."

And poor Bunchy. Fairuza Balk was demanding and unhelpful. Like he's supposed to know where to get breast mlik. I mean, congrats to him for thinking to ask that lady at the grocery store but Fairuza Balk just telling him to figure it out was a dick move. Despite this, I'd rather see him taking boob pictures on his phone than interacting with that female wrestler.

• Love 3

I used to know the guy who played Terry's new cell mate - the one who was twitching and saying "Let me out." (He was also singing to himself in last week's episode but he was on screen for about a second.) He's a year or two older than I am and lived around the corner from me when we were teenagers.

I felt sorry for Abby when Dog ran off. She just wants something that's hers. Abby makes me sad; she has a sad life. And I know she chose it, but what else is she going to do?

• Love 2

I used to know the guy who played Terry's new cell mate - the one who was twitching and saying "Let me out." (He was also singing to himself in last week's episode but he was on screen for about a second.) He's a year or two older than I am and lived around the corner from me when we were teenagers.

I felt sorry for Abby when Dog ran off. She just wants something that's hers. Abby makes me sad; she has a sad life. And I know she chose it, but what else is she going to do?

Paula Malcomson is a great actor; Trixe from "Deadwood" may be my favorite female character from television and movies, and that was in good measure due to her art. I think she is terrific as Abby. However,I think the writers have done the worst job with her character, compared to any other major character in the show. Abby is just too one dimensional and needy, without enough agency of her own. If they written her as a more competent mother, especially with regard to her relationship with Conor (another poorly drawn character, i.m.h.o.), then we may had something considerably better.

• Love 2
(edited)

Abby walking in on Bunchy and breastfeeding woman was hysterical.  Poor Bunchy, he totally got roped into Mickey and Daryll's seedy enterprise by circumstance.  Terry continues to be the tragic Shakespearean character of the show.  You feel his pain like no other character.  Why did he keep wearing his bloody shirt though in scene after scene?  You would think the prison would have issued him a new one.  Don't they have hygiene rules?  Ian McShane is a very strong addition this season.  I really liked his subtle reply to Ray's gratitude for springing Terry, just helping a friend, with the undertone of "now I've got you".

Edited by Dobian
  • Love 4

Fairuza Balk was demanding and unhelpful. Like he's supposed to know where to get breast mlik. I mean, congrats to him for thinking to ask that lady at the grocery store but Fairuza Balk just telling him to figure it out was a dick move.

YES! Its Vicki Vallencourt from Waterboy! god its been bothering me for a while now.

Terry continues to be the tragic Shakespearean character of the show.  You feel his pain like no other character.  Why did he keep wearing his bloody shirt though in scene after scene?  You would think the prison would have issued him a new one.  Don't they have hygiene rules?  Ian McShane is a very strong addition this season.  I really liked his subtle reply to Ray's gratitude for springing Terry, just helping a friend, with the undertone of "now I've got you".

In the California prison system, guards have been know to stage gladiator fights between prisoners, for entertainment and gambling purpose. It is one of the lower circles of hell, and hygiene rules really aren't a priority. A really great way for the writers of this show to develop the plot, with the fabulous McShane being the force that keeps Ray trapped in the life that tortures him. Now they need to have Ray with enough self awareness and motivation to avoid the dulling repetitive plots of Ray getting mad, getting drunk, having hate sex, to dull his pain, and instead write a Ray who fights to get to a better existence, especially with regards to his children.

• Love 3

Ray and Abby are such shitty parents. I'm not sure if that's what the show wants us to take from their relationship, but I think they're horrible parents.

I'm going straight to hell, but Jon Voight sells the hell out of the not-so-charming sociopath character of Mickey Donovan, and I was laughing out loud when the judge keeled over. "Oh Mickey ... "

I didn't really understand Ray's indignation at the start of the episode to Finney's men - "I don't sell myself." Isn't that what he does for a living?

Over all, a strong episode. Enjoyed the callbacks with the FBI guy and the P.O. But I usually like when shows revisit things that way for a one-off. It was refreshing to see a Judge on TV refusing to be bought off and seemingly clean.

I loved Terry so much through the episode. His POV I feel is a valid, and usually untouched one on TV. In his position, it makes sense for him to view being killed as better than a slow deterioration, one that's already eating at him. I totally get Ray's position too of wanting to save his brother, don't get me wrong, but Ray also in part wants to keep Terry alive because Ray doesn't want to lose Terry yet, understably, but isn't fully acknowledging/not dealing with what price living will be to Terry in the long run.

I felt like Ian McShane was finally worth his rep this episode. In other things he's obviously been really good, but I just haven't been feeling him as Finney (maybe because with his character comes Paige/Katie Holmse?)

I can't feel bad for Abby. If she really wanted relationships she'd be a better mother. I would have ran away too if I were the dog. She couldn't even be bothered to give the dog a name, because the dog wasn't it's own being, it was there for her, her, her.

I hate the little girl is having more of a role than Avi and Lena--- put together. Maybe I shouldn't judge because I'm childless but during a lot of the scenes this week with all the "fucks" around the girl and walking in on Bunchie I kept thinking "what parent signs their kid up for this part?!"

Waaaaay too much of Katie Holmes in next weeks preview alone. Uhg.

• Love 4

When Terry asked Ray what it cost and he said nothing, but the answer was supposed to be his soul.  Except what soul does he have left?  And he's just traded Ezra for Al Swearingen.  Now I want to see Avi and Lena come back.  They are so awesome, they deserve their own spinoff.  Just like The Ropers.

Loved seeing Bunk come back, even for a moment.  And the Feebee.  Continuity needs to be respected from time to time.

(edited)

Over all, a strong episode. Enjoyed the callbacks with the FBI guy and the P.O. But I usually like when shows revisit things that way for a one-off. It was refreshing to see a Judge on TV refusing to be bought off and seemingly clean.

I loved Terry so much through the episode. His POV I feel is a valid, and usually untouched one on TV. In his position, it makes sense for him to view being killed as better than a slow deterioration, one that's already eating at him. I totally get Ray's position too of wanting to save his brother, don't get me wrong, but Ray also in part wants to keep Terry alive because Ray doesn't want to lose Terry yet, understably, but isn't fully acknowledging/not dealing with what price living will be to Terry in the long run.

I felt like Ian McShane was finally worth his rep this episode. In other things he's obviously been really good, but I just haven't been feeling him as Finney (maybe because with his character comes Paige/Katie Holmse?)

I can't feel bad for Abby. If she really wanted relationships she'd be a better mother. I would have ran away too if I were the dog. She couldn't even be bothered to give the dog a name, because the dog wasn't it's own being, it was there for her, her, her.

I hate the little girl is having more of a role than Avi and Lena--- put together. Maybe I shouldn't judge because I'm childless but during a lot of the scenes this week with all the "fucks" around the girl and walking in on Bunchie I kept thinking "what parent signs their kid up for this part?!"

If the writers are smart they won't write Finney as a standard heavy, like the motivational speaker/con man/sociopath from last season, but rather as a charismatically ruthless  operator who can inspire loyalty because he really does look out for those in his employ, while also doing pretty awful things to pursue his goals. We'll see if these writers can make as good use of McShane's talents David Milch. Last night was promising. 

Edited by Bannon
  • Love 1

I don't feel bad for Abby either but Ray can be a better father and chooses not to. At least Abby is physically present while Ray can't be bothered. Five head had to beg him to come to dinner. He has his own apartment (hasn't been home in a long while), yet five head hasn't deduced that he has been fucking around that whole time, yet instantly guesses Abby is fucking around after a couple of episodes? Whatever show. Just have them divorce already and be done with it...Put us all out of our misery.

Way too much of Katie Holmes in her 10 seconds in this episode alone. Her teeth are giving me nightmares and I love horror movies...

• Love 2

I started crying when it looked like Terry might not make it out of jail.  It was great to see Skipp Sudduth as the governor.  I hope he has more screen time.  That judge was a prick.  I would have passed on the money but I would have still listened to Ray and then I would have him owe me for my favor.

Bunchy can "get 'er done" when he needs to!  The picture taking and the diapers and the breast milk!  Hilarious.

The dog running away made me upset just because I don't like seeing stray animals, even if it's a television show.

Exactly what is Avi doing now? 

• Love 1

Great episode tonight.  I loved, loved, loved Ray and Mickey both working to get Terry out, and even though he made it even harder, Mickey of course had to take credit immediately.  I love loathing him.

Poor Abby...even the dog can't stand her.  One of the worst characters in tv.

• Love 1

I'm really going back in time, but the judge was Dr. Curtis Willard, Mary Ellen,s husband on The Walton's. I would of never known but I just happened to catch an episode last week on Hallmark and his voice was all that was familiar. I never realized just how short McShane was on Deadwood. I love his acting! Cant handle Tom Cruises ex. Hope they get rid of her and Abby and the kids

Eddie Marsan broke my heart in this episode.

Guess Frances went back to her husband, since he said she never wrote him.

Oh Ian McShane, I sense a glorious bastard a coming with Finney.

Wonder if we'll get a BJ Soliloquy, like Al occasionally gave on Deadwood.

I agree with those who loved Finney when he was so quiet and respectful with the Governor, yet that one 'innocent' sentence about how he thought it wouldn't take this long, and boom, Governor was on board. (I want to add, it's always great to see who's going to show up in supporting roles on this show. I'm not sold on Holmes yet, but otherwise this show has a long history of casting wonderful actors.)

The final scene between Ray and Terry was just so amazing. Both Marsan and Schreiber were just so wonderful there, and I agree with those who like those rare moments when we get to see Ray actually smile. I was even relieved enough at Ray's miracle-working to almost feel for Mickey and his relief (which is still 90% guilt anyway). But then my hatred for Mickey returned and the world was back to normal (I'm sorry, I just cannot stand the character -- he is toxic sludge to everyone around him, and even though Voight is a good actor, I find it difficult to even watch his scenes at all -- I'm still bummed Mickey didn't die in season 1).

I was really upset when stupid Connor ignored Abby, walked past the leash, and just opened the damn door. And then it's implied that Abby searched for hours and comes in and the kids are totally gone. Who does that? Why wasn't Connor helping her look?

I know most people hate Abby, but I hate those stupid entitled freaking kids. I can't believe he lost Abby's new dog and then evidently just shuffled off to his room. And I felt really bad for Abby when she came in hours later and just sat down and sobbed. Pets can really move into our hearts quickly, and I thought her adoption of the dog was really sweet. I just hope it comes back (for his sake and Abby's).

• Love 2

Agree about Abby, the entitled kids and the sweet doggie. Hope he comes back, he humanized Abby in a way no one else on the show has done.

And give Voight an Emmy already. He owns this role, as despicable as his character is. As good as Schreiber is as Ray, Voight definitely steals every scene he is in.