Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E27: Abby vs. Kira…AGAIN!

• Start Topic

The ALDC becomes desperate for a win when the girls travel to Arizona, but the Candy Apples arrive with a surprise guest and are ready to capitalize on the ALDC's misfortunes. Meanwhile, Kira brings in reinforcements, which pose a direct threat to Abby.

So in a nutshells Abbey has once again turned cold to a dancer who has grown and matured past the junior level. Bye Kalani. Nia, you're next. Abbey, that fixation with pre-pubescent dancers is creepy and weird.

Ava is a gorgeous dancer with a great ballet body. I think she'd just hit growth spurt and looked super thin last time, but now she's grown again enough to look healthy. Abbey hates her mother, and hates that Ava is tall and thin.

Never, ever would I have dreamed that KIRA, who seems not to be the brightest bulb in the chandelier, is the only one with enough sense to cut Abbey off and take her child out of that train wreck. Kudos to Kira for that.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Ava seems like a nice kid and all, but I am kind of tired of all her dances being about standing up to Abby.  Was Abby really that bad to Ava? She was only in a few episodes, and I don't remember much besides calling her too tall to fit in with the group and complaining that she was crying.  She does that to anyone who cries.  Abby has treated others a lot worse.

If the average age of the girls is over 12, I think it is perfectly fair to have them dance in the 12-14 age division. I know they have a better chance of winning with yonger kids, but I don't see why Abby is so bothered by 12-14 being "teen." Everyone in teen will have that as the average age, so it's not like she's the only one forced to have 12 year olds dancing as teens.  And why didn't she figure it out before they got there?

• Love 1
(edited)

I'm sorry, I still think Ava looks like a malnourished stork, Kalani's dance was the better in my opinion. I missed a memo somewhere, what happened to Cathy?

P.S.

Am I the only one who thought that Abbey looked like a chastised child upon her return? To me it seemed like she was walking on eggshells.

Edited by missbonnie
  • Love 1

What is wrong with these mothers?  

Kira put her 14  year old child on a TV show and took her out of her dance training, but claims Kalani wants to be a dancer.  Does Kalani really want to be a dancer or has it been driven into her as you have taken her all over the place in search of fame?  When Kira was browbeating her again about how she needs to win, Kalani said something like, "I know, you've been telling me that since I was 10."  And if Kalani really wants to be a dancer, at her age, she should be at a full time training program.  She should not be on a TV show dancing with 10-12 year olds.  Abby was right, why should the 10 and 11 year olds in the group be put into the teen group because one dancer is 14.   Also, it wouldn't have been as interesting if they hadn't been able to compete against Candy APples.  (the Candy Apple dancers looked older than 10-12, I wonder how they dealt with the age limitations.)

Jeannette, stop obsessing about Abby.  Ava has no charisma, musicality or stage presence.  Probably why she got 4th.  And putting your child in the lead spot while the other dancers literally and figuratively danced circles around your daughter?  Probably why the group got 3rd.  Abby's team was much better, they were entertaining and they actually danced.  As long as you don't watch Mackenzie, they look pretty good.

And Kalani's teacher looked like she was given a script to talk about how Kalani's not the same since she left.  Of course not, she's not in class every day with teens like she should be.  Blame her mother for that. 

• Love 3

Random observations...

This show thinks we are so dumb, there is no way that the CADC group was Jr division.  Also, do they think that people that watch the show never go on YouTube or social media and see what happens a couple weeks later?  And it's not unusual for 12-14 to be teen, I don't know why Abby makes such a fake big deal about it every time it happens.

Alexa trained here under a group of sisters that previously danced for Larkin (the original),our previous ballet master used to teach part-time there.  They sure managed to make her look subservient and schmoopy.

I'm giving everyone the side-eye for the fake baloney about Jess, she's actually ended up being the most reasonable mom of the bunch, generally.

Ava, that girl sure is long and lean, her BMI must be about 13.  The other group of thrown together CADC dancers are very good.

• Love 2

So I get that the "Famous, Infamous" costumes were supposed to be reminiscent of Black Swan, but somebody probably should've explained to Jeanette that the costumes could have conveyed that fact without adding the weird swan beaks hanging off the girls' shoulders.  On another note, I at the end of the episode when Kalani was crying, I felt bad for Ava in the background, who clearly appeared to want to go over and comfort the girl, but must've thought (or been told by her mom) that she wouldn't be welcome.

I think that having Kalani win with someone else's choreography and showing Jill's talking head about "we can't compete with those leg extensions, that's not how we've been taught!" is a sign that the producers may be trying to continue the show without Abby.

Also, as for Kalani leaving, I wish we would have actually heard her say that it was her decision.  Kira says it was, but we never actually heard Kalani say anything.  Maybe it was going along with the storyline, maybe it was edited out, or maybe Kira didn't want Kalani to say anything so that maybe their options would be open in the future.  I'd just love to know that it really was Kalani's choice (and also to know whether or not Kalani has a backbone).

Another farce - I've been noticing the audiences at these things. A true competition has a full house - during the "competitions" here we have at most 4 or 5 rows filled up. I think Ava has beautiful extensions and truely loves dance but I have a hard time watching her because of her stork like body - I'd much rather watch Kalani. Kalani did mention after they had left the competition that she doesn't like being treated like that by Abby - one day she likes her and the next day she doesn't. They were standing  outside with Ava and Jeanette in the background.

I loved how Gina said that she hadn't approved the music - ah - Abby - who's really running the show here? obviously Gianna. Abby was quite different but I think she was thumbing her nose at both production and the moms. Hey if you want me to teach and not create drama - that's what I'll do - I'll show you attitude. Problem is - most of us watch the show for the girls - so Abby's not saying anything didn't bother me.

I did love the group dance. Funny that Kalani seemed to be front and center in practice - then remove her and it's all about Maddie again with Maddie faces. I don't think Kalani will be back.  Her age puts them in the next bracket ( which yes - Abby and Gianna know about before they sign up for these competitions ) and I think it will end with just the 5 girls or bringing in a younger dancer to lower the average age. I still think Mac has a hard time keeping up with the group but all Abby talks about is Jojo not keeping up. I was upset when they first added her as she was not a favorite on AUDC - but next to Nia - she's at the top of the list on who I like.

Next week looks like fun!

Jeannette, stop obsessing about Abby.  Ava has no charisma, musicality or stage presence.  Probably why she got 4th.  And putting your child in the lead spot while the other dancers literally and figuratively danced circles around your daughter?  Probably why the group got 3rd.  Abby's team was much better, they were entertaining and they actually danced.  As long as you don't watch Mackenzie, they look pretty good.

Maybe it's the editing or the "story line" but Jeanette is a joke.  Her primary motivating tool is hatred of Abby?  This is what she teaches her kid and the others?  She is as bad as Abby in her own way.  This show does nothing positive for the image of the thousands of talented, hard working and motivational dance instructors all over the country.   It was nice to see Kalani do real choreography for a change.  I have no doubt that shewanted to get away from ALDC.  She had to know that her involvement with ALDC and the fame whore train has stunted her growth as dancer.  She needs to stay home in AZ and resume the training regimen and  entering real competitions to get back on track.  Kira tweeted that the editing misrepresented what actually happened and that Kalani made the decision to leave as soon as Abby cut her from the group number, not after the awards ceremony.  Hopefully she is gone and stays gone.  Her future as a professional dancer is not tied to ALDC. 

You have to wonder about how Maddie will do when she has to compete in the teen divisions where there are dancers, talent-wise as good as her (or better) who have received much better training.  She may be competitive but I suspect that disappointment will be her frequent  companion.

• Love 1
(edited)

I suspect that the reason Kira has allowed to let Kalani appear on the show is money based with the end game of paying for a serious dance school in NYC someday and that costs $$$$$. Jeanette is a joke. I thought it was confirmed that Kalani was at the opening of the new studio, I wonder if that means Abbey will be forced to go crawling back to Kira because they really do need her talent.

Edited by missbonnie

I suspect that the reason Kira has allowed to let Kalani appear on the show is money based with the end game of paying for a serious dance school in NYC someday and that costs $$$$$. Jeanette is a joke. I thought it was confirmed that Kalani was at the opening of the new studio, I wonder if that means Abbey will be forced to go crawling back to Kira because they really do need her talent.

I suspect you will never see Kalani in a "serious" dance school in NYC because Kira wouldn't be able to be involved in it.  Kira is a fame whore who has been whoring out her daughter since she was a small child.  And there is no shortage of talented kids with stage mothers who will take Kalani's place.  A perfect example is Chloe.  Her mother never sent her to a serious school after the show.  She continues on social media and whatever else stage mothers do.  Kira will do the same thing.  Gross parents.

• Love 1

I wonder if Abby is embarrassed by the fact that she was unable to catch errors and correct Kalani the way her Arizona teacher was able to. Abby almost never says anything negative to Kalani but her teacher pointed out like 10 mistakes on camera during the short time we saw her. Abby doesn't seem like she has a discerning eye the way she thinks she does.

I also thought it was funny that unlike Tessandra, Kalani's teacher was just like, "I'm here to teach my student" and didn't do any of the groveling that Tessandra did or get involved in any drama (like the fake contract bullshit that Abby tried to pull).

That was so  much more impressive than Abby's "teaching" techniques.  Alexa constantly corrected Kalani but even when she got frustrated with her it was in the form of "you've lost your edge and you need to get it back".  Alexa clearly saw that Kalani's involvement with ALDC had taken her backwards not forward.  One thing that I'm always been bothered by is that bright red narrow lipstick that Kalani wears in some of her performances.  It makes her mouth look like it's pursed up, almost like a cartoon character.  Kalani is a naturally beautiful girl and that lipstick detracts from that, IMHO.

• Love 3

We have no way of knowing what the contract said that Kira signed with Abby. It may have specified that Kalani was to be at the grand opening.

Also, I do think you will see Kalani at a serious dance school if that's what she wants. It doesn't matter what you think about her mother - there comes a time when all kids grow up and do what's they want to do in spite of what parents think.

I also think Chloe has improved immensely at her new studio and if she's happy there don't rain on her parade. She too, wanted a dance career and maybe she'll have one - but she's still growing and maybe social media is more appealing to her and she'll find her future there. My gosh - these kids are still so young and their dreams and ambitions will change many times. If I had stuck with my first career choice at the age of 7 - I would have been an astronaut, followed by a dancer, a nun, a vet, a teacher and my final destination - an x-ray tech - which I became. Should have stuck with teaching though - I'd be retired and have a pension instead of working until I die.

• Love 3

We have no way of knowing what the contract said that Kira signed with Abby. It may have specified that Kalani was to be at the grand opening.

I agree, but her interview that day was also indicative of all systems go if there is an S6.  But that too, could have been a required answer.  We just don't know.

Kalani doesn't strike me as an NYC dancer, she strikes me as an LA dancer - much more contemporary and commercial dance on the west coast than on the east coast.  That said, there is Ailey II and the Joffery School in NY.  I don't think we know what Kalani wants except to have fun and be with her friends, probably both in AZ and Dance Moms.  Until these last few weeks, we didn't see her unhappy.

I don't think the moms of Dance Moms considered how all this travel during the dance "season" really takes away from training.  It's one thing to hop on a plane on Friday and back Sunday night and flying off to another continent for weeks at a time without proper teachers and studio space.  I don't think anyone could expect Gianna to be ballet mistress and tap teacher.  She's probably great for strength and stretch training, leaps and turns and lyrical tech (contemporary) but the rest?  That is usually out of range for one person which is why there are many teachers at a studio.  For example, our previous director stuck to ballet, because that is what she was best at and well known for.  She also doesn't teach the babies at all anymore.

• Love 1

I suspect you will never see Kalani in a "serious" dance school in NYC because Kira wouldn't be able to be involved in it.  Kira is a fame whore who has been whoring out her daughter since she was a small child.  And there is no shortage of talented kids with stage mothers who will take Kalani's place.  A perfect example is Chloe.  Her mother never sent her to a serious school after the show.  She continues on social media and whatever else stage mothers do.  Kira will do the same thing.  Gross parents.

Kalani is such a better dancer then Chloe ever was, or is, though.  But I agree, I don't think these girls are interested in serious dance schools.  But who knows in a couple years, when being on reality tv is no longer an option and they are older and wiser, they may think differently.  

I liked watching Alexa correct Kalani... and Abby just sitting there watching like a doofus, watching another teacher basically try to get her student back to where she used to be before Abby got her hands on her.   I actually think Abby likes Kira and Kalani a lot... their fights seem genuine, Abby seems slightly more concerned.  Whereas with Kelly/Christy/Holly Abby wants them to leave, with Kira and Kalani, I don't think that's the case.  

• Love 3
And putting your child in the lead spot while the other dancers literally and figuratively danced circles around your daughter?

As opposed to Abby's team that dances circles around Maddie.

Ava is a good dancer but she's not really lovely to watch, which is too bad.  Hopefully as she gets older she'll put some meat on her bones and start to fill out (unless she wants ballet for which she looks perfect).

What happens when the inevitable occurs and Maddie becomes a teen.  Oh, the humanity!

• Love 1

As opposed to Abby's team that dances circles around Maddie.

Ava is a good dancer but she's not really lovely to watch, which is too bad.  Hopefully as she gets older she'll put some meat on her bones and start to fill out (unless she wants ballet for which she looks perfect).

What happens when the inevitable occurs and Maddie becomes a teen.  Oh, the humanity!

You missed my "pun."  Ava was surrounded by dancers who can dance circles around her, meaning that they were all better dancers than her.  Maddie is usually the lead because she is the best dancer in that group.  Dance companies, dance schools, etc, typically use their best dancers as the leads. 

And Ava doesn't have the perfect body for ballet.  She is only a child, I'm sure after puberty she will fill out a little and look great.

You missed my "pun."  Ava was surrounded by dancers who can dance circles around her, meaning that they were all better dancers than her.  Maddie is usually the lead because she is the best dancer in that group.  Dance companies, dance schools, etc, typically use their best dancers as the leads. 

And Ava doesn't have the perfect body for ballet.  She is only a child, I'm sure after puberty she will fill out a little and look great.

Maybe I'm taking this out of context, but I don't think Maddie is the lead in all the ALDC dances because she's the best dancer.  I think it's because she's Maddie and the show's storyline is that she is the best dancer.  I'd argue Kalani is probably an all around better dancer and Maddie #2, but that isn't the storyline the show wants to play.  Maddie is a fine lead, but in Dance Moms world we're supposed to pretend that Kalani is an inferior talent to Maddie.

• Love 3

Abbey said such hateful things to Ava, that I understand Jeanette's hatred toward her. That child didn't deserve to be yelled at an belittled over her physical appearance, especially from someone who isn't the best physical specimen on the planet herself. I think Ava is one of the more interesting dancers on the show, and I hope she keeps her love of dance.

Kalani was already a professional dancer - she'd been on two TV shows - before the AUDC show and Dance Moms. I don't think Kira's out of line for seizing these opportunities and allowing her very talented child to dance professionally and still get training and instruction. Keeping her in a studio until she's 18 when she has jobs now, makes no sense to me.

• Love 5

Ava is very tall for her age. I believe she's around 5'7, she might've grown since last year. Kalani isn't serious. If she was she would be training looking for more dance opportunities. Not be on a scripted reality tv show about grown woman acting like fools. Kira is a typical stage mom. I'm sure she doesn't need money now since she's going to marry someone with a lot of money. It's all about fame for her. She's no different than the rest. She needs to stop bitching and moaning and own up to her shit. She keeps talking shit on social media. Trying to look like the victim. Get your ass back to Arizona if you care about Kalani's training. And Alexa is 21. Abby is what 49? So Alexa a 21yo can point out a dancers mistakes but Abby a 49 yo with 30 years of experience can't.

It's going to be interesting how they water down the ages next year. The aldc might be competing against themselves.

• Love 4

I don't know, I feel like we don't hear a whole lot when Abby is cleaning solos except for particularly nasty stuff against Kendall, JoJo and Nia generally speaking.  Same for when she's cleaning group dances.  And we practically never hear Gianna doing corrections, except to pick out the victim of the week (JoJo at the Astras for example).  It's very likely that they match up the corrections to what happens in the performance after the fact - so it looks like foreshadowing when it really isn't.

I'd like to think when the cameras aren't rolling, all kinds of corrections get made when they are cleaning dances.  Or that most of them end up on the floor after editing.

First of all, they were short on time prepping Kalani, second, showing all the corrections serves the narrative that's playing about absence from class...

It could just be production manipulation, I think again, we don't know.

• Love 1

I was really shocked at the meekness of Alexa - she seemed like she was so young - like if I didn't know better I would have guessed she was 14 or 15 years old from what I saw. Definitely NOT what I expected her to be like. Her corrections and choreography were good, but she really lacked a commanding presence which I really expected her to have w/ all her qualifications. I am just blown away to see the great Alexa Moffet that I heard so much about all these years has the personality of a shy teenager who looks like she needs a confidence coach. Maybe it was how the show edited her? I don't know. Her personality and demeanor was just very suprising to me.

Is Club Dance a studio that her mother or some older person owned first or something like that? Or is Alexa just a DT/Choreographer there and I'm overestimating her position there? - like I thought she was the equivalent of like Abby - like its her studio.

I thought both Kalani and Ava's dances were good. Kalani moves more gracefully and balletic, but Ava did more skills and was pretty good too (she is definitely improving). Ava does have an awkward look though (and she really can't do anything about it), and unfortunately looks and appearance do matter in dance competition judging so she'll have a hard time beating a dancer like Kalani until she fills out some. I know a few kids that are just tall and rail skinny like that and can't put on weight no matter how much they eat - usually 17-18 they start to get hips, etc. and look beautiful, so in the long run she'll probably have the better "dancer's body" compared to Kalani. 3 years from now if those two danced those same solos in the senior age division, I'd bet Ava would win.

Abby was actually acting like a dance teacher for the first time in a long time. I agree that something is up w/ her and the producers where she's holding back the drama in protest.

I was really shocked at the meekness of Alexa - she seemed like she was so young - like if I didn't know better I would have guessed she was 14 or 15 years old from what I saw. Definitely NOT what I expected her to be like. Her corrections and choreography were good, but she really lacked a commanding presence which I really expected her to have w/ all her qualifications. I am just blown away to see the great Alexa Moffet that I heard so much about all these years has the personality of a shy teenager who looks like she needs a confidence coach. Maybe it was how the show edited her? I don't know. Her personality and demeanor was just very suprising to me.

Is Club Dance a studio that her mother or some older person owned first or something like that? Or is Alexa just a DT/Choreographer there and I'm overestimating her position there? - like I thought she was the equivalent of like Abby - like its her studio.

I thought both Kalani and Ava's dances were good. Kalani moves more gracefully and balletic, but Ava did more skills and was pretty good too (she is definitely improving). Ava does have an awkward look though (and she really can't do anything about it), and unfortunately looks and appearance do matter in dance competition judging so she'll have a hard time beating a dancer like Kalani until she fills out some. I know a few kids that are just tall and rail skinny like that and can't put on weight no matter how much they eat - usually 17-18 they start to get hips, etc. and look beautiful, so in the long run she'll probably have the better "dancer's body" compared to Kalani. 3 years from now if those two danced those same solos in the senior age division, I'd bet Ava would win.

Abby was actually acting like a dance teacher for the first time in a long time. I agree that something is up w/ her and the producers where she's holding back the drama in protest.

Alexa doesn't own Club Dance.  She is a teacher and choreographer there, and I believe she is in charge of the Pre-Pro girls, who are for the most part the most advanced and competitive girls at the studio.  She is definitely more then just a run of the mill teacher though, because a lot of the students constantly credit her for their successes.  She seems like a great teacher, very dedicated.  She is young, so I think her success is very impressive.  

I didn't really interpret her behavior as meek - seemed to me she didn't want to make a scene... she just wanted to teach Kalani the solo, and she knew it would speak for itself.  

• Love 1

Alexa doesn't own Club Dance.  She is a teacher and choreographer there, and I believe she is in charge of the Pre-Pro girls, who are for the most part the most advanced and competitive girls at the studio.  She is definitely more then just a run of the mill teacher though, because a lot of the students constantly credit her for their successes.  She seems like a great teacher, very dedicated.  She is young, so I think her success is very impressive.  

I didn't really interpret her behavior as meek - seemed to me she didn't want to make a scene... she just wanted to teach Kalani the solo, and she knew it would speak for itself.  

What is her background?  I would guess that at 21 years old, Alexa was never a professional dancer.  I wouldn't want someone with so little experience teaching advanced classes. 

And the teacher spouting a string of corrections for Kalani was part of the show.  The main plot was that Kalani was gotten weak since she's left her studio.  And she won first place when her beloved teacher came back!  The problem is that she has typically been winning first place.  They just put them through a "losing streak" so they could "come back."

(edited)

@sofiah, you seem dialed into Club Dance, when did the Moffetts arrive there from Minneosta, I've been trying to figure that out.

Oh it's right in her bio...

Alexa Moffett

Alexa started her dance training in Minnesota at 10 years old under the direction of the Nelson sisters.  At the age of 13 she moved with her family to Arizona, where she continued her training, As a competitive dancer she has won multiple regional and national awards and trained with highly respected choreographers and teachers.  Alexa started instructing and creating some of the most well known dancers in the country at the young age of 15. Her choreography has been awarded top overalls and choreography awards both on the regional and national levels.  Alexa is the choreographer of DJ’s Mix who are the featured winners of Disney Channel’s Shake it Up Make Your Mark contest.  Alexa’s dancers have also been featured on America’s Got Talent, X Factor, Abby Lee’s Ultimate Dance Competition, The Maury Show, Bunheads, and DanceMoms.  Alexa currently teaches and choreographs at Club Dance Studio in Mesa, Arizona.  Alexa’s dancers are known for their attentive technique and outrageous flexibility.  Alexa has cofounded a traveling workshop with her colleague Molly Long.  Alexa has a fantastic work ethic and passion for dance. She will continue to share her love for dance with the dance community as she strives to accomplish her dreams.
Edited by NextIteration
  • Love 1

What is her background?  I would guess that at 21 years old, Alexa was never a professional dancer.  I wouldn't want someone with so little experience teaching advanced classes. 

And the teacher spouting a string of corrections for Kalani was part of the show.  The main plot was that Kalani was gotten weak since she's left her studio.  And she won first place when her beloved teacher came back!  The problem is that she has typically been winning first place.  They just put them through a "losing streak" so they could "come back."

Well, Alexa is not the only teacher they have... they still have designated ballet, tap, hiphop, etc. teachers.  Alexa teaches some classes, choreographs solos for some of them, and is the director.  I think she is young, yes, but she's proven herself through the incredible success of her students.

I think the storyline was more that Abby wasn't showcasing Kalani's talents, and that is the reason why she was losing to the likes of Ava.  They wanted to "show the dancer Kalani really is" since she was in her hometown.  Like Kira said, Abby thinks of Kalani as an acrobatic dancer... when all of Kalani's successes in dance have come from contemporary and/or lyrical.  Abby doesn't choreograph to Kalani's strengths the way Alexa does. 

• Love 1

Both Alexa and her sister Addison dance for club dance. I guess Alexa was really good at what she does despite being so young. The studio took note and hired her. Just like molly long who is only 22. She too danced for DP, and I believe her mom was a teacher and a studio owner. She choreography for the minis. I can tell when molly long choreographs.

@sofiah, you seem dialed into Club Dance, when did the Moffetts arrive there from Minneosta, I've been trying to figure that out.

Oh it's right in her bio...

We have student choreographers at my studio. They charge less and I'm guessing the studio pays them less.

Well, Alexa is not the only teacher they have... they still have designated ballet, tap, hiphop, etc. teachers.   

That's good.  I think that if you are teaching teens who want to dance professionally it helps to have danced yourself.  It sounds like her expertise is competing and what competitions are looking for.

I didn't watch that dance and think that it looked that different than most of the dances Kalani has done.  Except, of course, that awful acrobatic dance she did when the other girl beat her.  I would assume the show did that on purpose because that dance was so bad and actually pointed out her weaknesses.

P.S.

Am I the only one who thought that Abbey looked like a chastised child upon her return? To me it seemed like she was walking on eggshells.

I think she was gone the previous episode because she was asked to leave by production after the fight with Kira. 

• Love 1

Abby's "fame" went to her head I think and she began to believe she could say and do whatever she wanted and the show would not exist without her.  Production seems to have had to get her attention that they will only tolerate so much.

• Love 1