Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

(edited)

If the crew didn't like SA, I would think it probably is because SA comes off as one of those co-workers who think they are your boss when they arent.  

KC has been enjoying the hell out of her trip to Thailand, so much so she's going back for her honeymoon in December.

Edited by Primal Slayer
2 minutes ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

I don't stan SA but if the sources are Ken and Canadagraphs, I'd give those "revelations" a massive side eye.

Especially since didn't Stephen in like season 3 or 4 publicly say that he had a discussion with Canadagraphs about how he talks about his costars or something? After someone on twitter showed him tweets CG made about Emily? 

I vaguely recall something like that going down.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

I don't stan SA but if the sources are Ken and Canadagraphs, I'd give those "revelations" a massive side eye.

Yeah, I feel like for them "fact" and "random thing I've decided" are fairly interchangeable.

• Love 9
12 minutes ago, Mary0360 said:

Especially since didn't Stephen in like season 3 or 4 publicly say that he had a discussion with Canadagraphs about how he talks about his costars or something? After someone on twitter showed him tweets CG made about Emily? 

I vaguely recall something like that going down.

I thought that was about spoilers.

• Love 1
24 minutes ago, lemotomato said:

I know that when I'm on a tropical getaway, I like to take some time out to crash a local school and interrupt class to hang out with the kids.

Maybe get with them in advance and not surprise them out of the blue where I am sure they will just let you interrupt with no notice. 

(edited)
1 hour ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

But I thought the goss was that Willa didn't want to do stunts, didn't want to be Speedy?! That the reason for fewer episodes is because she was asking for a raise that the production can't afford so they gave her less work for same amount of money instead. Did I not read that right here?!?!

Yes, I remember that too. The producers had a plan for her to be Speedy, but she didn’t want to train/deal with stunt doubling, which curtailed a big arc they had planned and then they didn’t know what to do with her character. But then at cons whenever fans were like “we want more Speedy suited up” Willa would be like “me too!” so who knows? (Though the way the writers have floundered with her character the past few seasons, it makes me think her not wanting to be in a suit makes sense. Plus, there was SA’s interview about her leaving in which he basically said “we don’t want anyone who doesn’t want to be here.”) I tend to lean towards the point of view that Willa just didn’t want to be there anymore, rather than she was pushed out. 

Edited by Trisha
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, Trisha said:

Yes, I remember that too. The producers had a plan for her to be Speedy, but she didn’t want to train/deal with stunt doubling, which curtailed a big arc they had planned and then they didn’t know what to do with her character. But then at cons whenever fans were like “we want more Speedy suited up” Willa would be like “me too!” so who knows? (Though the way the writers have floundered with her character the past few seasons, it makes me think her not wanting to be in a suit makes sense. Plus, there’s was SA’s interview about her leaving in which he basically said “we don’t want anyone who doesn’t want to be here.”) I tend to lean towards the point of view that Willa just didn’t want to be there anymore, rather than she was pushed out. 

That story just never read real to me. Willa was excited to suit up, she even took arching classes and became really good at it, she had hopes for what her costume would evolve into and Im pretty sure she said she knew from the start of the show that Thea was going to suit up so I dont know what that was about with someone on the show saying she didnt want to do anything. But I do fully believe that she decided after S5 that it was just time to leave and stop wasting her time.

3 minutes ago, Chaser said:

I wonder if those kids even know who she is. 

Is Arrow big in Thailand?

I doubt they do.

• Love 1
49 minutes ago, Primal Slayer said:

If the crew didn't like SA, I would think it probably is because SA comes off as one of those co-workers who think they are your boss when they arent.  

KC has been enjoying the hell out of her trip to Thailand, so much so she's going back for her honeymoon in December.

I skimmed the video a bit. I hope she got permission for her fiancé to film the children. 

47 minutes ago, kes0704 said:

Seriously? How did I miss that!!  Did they give any reason why?

It always looks like he gets along with everyone and is generally liked.

IIRC, the conversation actually started out with a question about one of the other characters/actors and then just morphed.  Someone said something about SA being popular with fans.  One of them said yeah with fans but not the crew.  Someone questioned it. The other one chimed in with the worst kept secret bit.  They didn't give any reasons. 

I actually could see SA rubbing crew the wrong way.  He can be very particular about things like feng shui and furniture.  He's an admitted control freak.   Things might have to be done more than once because of him. He might act like your boss when he's not (as someone else said above).   If he's ever talked to the crew the way he sometimes responds to people on FB, I could see people being upset by it.   Even though "the crew" was used, it could be a handful of disgruntled people. 

I thought there were some BTS problems with WH in late S4?  Wasn't she missing from some episodes late in the season? 

I guess without a tell all book we'll never know about either!  

• Love 4
42 minutes ago, Primal Slayer said:

Maybe get with them in advance and not surprise them out of the blue where I am sure they will just let you interrupt with no notice. 

Only if my fiance will record it and post it for all the world to see!

How would it work? "Good morning, children! Today's schedule will be math, reading, a random foreigner dropping by to play hangman, and then lunch!"

• Love 6
17 minutes ago, insomniadreams88 said:

About that blind item - have any of the actors commented about why WH exited the series? I know SA said she wasn’t coming back and MG said in interviews that it was her choice, but I think that’s it? 

Stephen said something in an interview about her after she left about how people on set have to want to be there - implying that Willa did not. 

So Willa's mom is resorting to all kinds of hilarious rationalizations for her tweet, including that she was just stating a fact, and it was Emily fans who turned it into shaming. Also, she's trying to deflect by saying the Olicity fandom is unhealthy because people have said mean things to Cassandra "who is the only woman in his real life." Lolz.

She deleted the original tweet that started all of this, which is basically an admission that it was problematic. She should take the L and move on, instead of trying to blame everyone else for interpreting it exactly how she meant it to be interpreted.

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, lemotomato said:

Only if my fiance will record it and post it for all the world to see!

How would it work? "Good morning, children! Today's schedule will be math, reading, a random foreigner dropping by to play hangman, and then lunch!"

Ugh and play with LEGOS. 

Just now, Mellowyellow said:

I saw the tweet about her shopping in Prada etc and cracked up. 

The woman is we Aussies would call a bogan! Not sure what your equivalent is!

I can think of lots of terms, none of which should be said in polite company.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, KenyaJ said:

So Willa's mom is resorting to all kinds of hilarious rationalizations for her tweet, including that she was just stating a fact, and it was Emily fans who turned it into shaming. Also, she's trying to deflect by saying the Olicity fandom is unhealthy because people have said mean things to Cassandra "who is the only woman in his real life." Lolz.

She deleted the original tweet that started all of this, which is basically an admission that it was problematic. She should take the L and move on, instead of trying to blame everyone else for interpreting it exactly how she meant it to be interpreted.

Seriously the whole Cassandra thing is like the biggest gas lighting ever imo. Every time they use the "Olicity fans harass poor Cassandra" as their go to deflection tactic I want to say to them "show me the receipts". The only things I ever seen on twitter that is mean about SA's wife are usually untagged and don't refer to her by name and even then don't come close to abusive or bullying but more snarky and shady, which hello internet!

• Love 4
8 hours ago, insomniadreams88 said:

About that blind item - have any of the actors commented about why WH exited the series? I know SA said she wasn’t coming back and MG said in interviews that it was her choice, but I think that’s it? 

No, the cast was quiet about her departure - suspiciously so.  No one even mentioned it on social media, and SA only addressed it when asked. It was especially obvious because it was announced around the same time Colton’s return was, and their reaction couldn’t be more different.

7 hours ago, Mary0360 said:

Seriously the whole Cassandra thing is like the biggest gas lighting ever imo. Every time they use the "Olicity fans harass poor Cassandra" as their go to deflection tactic I want to say to them "show me the receipts". The only things I ever seen on twitter that is mean about SA's wife are usually untagged and don't refer to her by name and even then don't come close to abusive or bullying but more snarky and shady, which hello internet!

The thing that bugs me is that Olicity shippers are all assumed to be shipping them IRL. I think the Stemily stuff comes from a tiny portion of the fandom. That being said, I try to unfollow anyone who posts that stuff, and I still end up seeing it a lot.  Maybe it’s gotten more subtle and less body snarking over the years, but the tweets I saw after she posted her disco outfit a couple of weeks ago were not great. I don’t remember anyone actually tagging her whenever they talk about her, but I have seen plenty of times where he’ll post some sweet tweet about his wife and the replies are a tire fire. 

1 hour ago, Trisha said:

No, the cast was quiet about her departure - suspiciously so.  No one even mentioned it on social media, and SA only addressed it when asked. It was especially obvious because it was announced around the same time Colton’s return was, and their reaction couldn’t be more different.

The thing that bugs me is that Olicity shippers are all assumed to be shipping them IRL. I think the Stemily stuff comes from a tiny portion of the fandom. That being said, I try to unfollow anyone who posts that stuff, and I still end up seeing it a lot.  Maybe it’s gotten more subtle and less body snarking over the years, but the tweets I saw after she posted her disco outfit a couple of weeks ago were not great. I don’t remember anyone actually tagging her whenever they talk about her, but I have seen plenty of times where he’ll post some sweet tweet about his wife and the replies are a tire fire. 

The thing is,nobody is obligated to like Stephens wife, or even dislike her, just like no ones obligated to like anyone of the cast or their partners/family/friends if they don't want to like said person. As long as she's not getting tagged directly in their snark or directly bullied and harrassed, you can't stop the internet from snarking or shading on their personal accounts, just like you can't force them to like someone. It'd be nice but it's unrealistic. 

For instance Reddit say some outright horrible things about Emily on occasion but despite my annoyance and my questioning of their taste (and ability for rational thought), they don't actually have to like and say nice things about Emily. 

I just find the whole Cassandra is attacked by the fans narrative as based on thin or the very least flimsy air that one section of the fandom has exaggerated to basically smear another side of the fandom simply because they're upset about the direction of the show. And the fact that people  like Carina and Willas mom are taking up that narrative kind of insulting considering that Cassandra in no way appears to be a woman who seems all that bothered or even interested in what her husbands fans think of her. She seems like she has a pretty carefree life, which incidentally is largely paid for by the fans who so call attack her, so really she's got the last laugh. 

• Love 14

I laugh whenever they bring that comment about Olicity fans harassing Stephen's wife up...because apparently everyone knows about it but Stephen or his wife have yet to address anything regarding those allegations.

Also apparently Stephen has told fans to stop doing it, which has never happened.

It's like they couldn't just stop at Olicity fans being mean to KC, they had to also invent stuff that they've bullied his wife too. 

• Love 3

Except that fans do bully and harass his wife, it may not be tagged but it does happen. I have seen talk about how Amell planned the HVFF cruise so he could throw his wife overboard and it would be international waters. I have seen fans talk about how they will send messages/talk directly in person to HVFF to get his wife banned from the con because they won't want her there. He has addressed the online bullying of his wife, and I believe once made a larger Facebook post about it, but I was able to find a screencap. You might not like the accusations, and it might be a very small part of the fandom, but it does happen. And to say otherwise is wrong. There have been some truly nasty things said about his wife and no one is required to like her but some of the things that I have seen said about her are truly awful. 

rAAsxn4oWkO_97xbG6dB2bGrySktsTcSxXdQTO9_UNg.jpg.d6bc1e9b4c1059123abfcdf829897b6c.jpg

• Love 3

Sure there are mean fans on all sides of fandom but it becomes gaslighting when you use it to stop someone from having a rational discussion and expressing their opinion about the show. 

I've seen Olicity fans merely debating the (correct) facts of the show only to be told: haha you post nasty messages about Cass, you're a nutter who ships Stemily.

It's a classic well loved accusation to trot out when losing an arguemnt on Twitter.

I've seen that happen all the time to Olicity fans (and there are a lot of us) who don't even have an interest in the actors personal lives. 

• Love 20
1 hour ago, NoNameBrand said:

Except that fans do bully and harass his wife, it may not be tagged but it does happen. I have seen talk about how Amell planned the HVFF cruise so he could throw his wife overboard and it would be international waters. I have seen fans talk about how they will send messages/talk directly in person to HVFF to get his wife banned from the con because they won't want her there. He has addressed the online bullying of his wife, and I believe once made a larger Facebook post about it, but I was able to find a screencap. You might not like the accusations, and it might be a very small part of the fandom, but it does happen. And to say otherwise is wrong. There have been some truly nasty things said about his wife and no one is required to like her but some of the things that I have seen said about her are truly awful. 

rAAsxn4oWkO_97xbG6dB2bGrySktsTcSxXdQTO9_UNg.jpg.d6bc1e9b4c1059123abfcdf829897b6c.jpg

whats interesting about this screen shot you provided was that the person who stephen responded to was posting horrendous stuff about EBR on Stephen's page and was relating tweets to him. She was actually defending his wife, so stephen's reply to her made no sense. 

And like others said, if people don't tag her then those who go to stephen's page to relate untagged tweets about his wife are the only ones bullying her...because how can she be bullied for what she doesn't know about herself.

And on the other hand the EBR bullies have actually tagged her in horrendous abusive tweets. 

• Love 12
36 minutes ago, JJ928 said:

This may be unpopular... but who cares? Ever single fandom has real life shippers, every single fandom has bad apples. No fandom should be held accountable for that minority. Maybe I'm just old, but I find fans so sensitive lately. These actors are breaking bank on their tv shows, cons, merch they sponsor, getting fans to raise $ for projects and charity. While there are a portion that take things too far, they're best reported and ignored instead of validated. Also, let's not pretend that SA doesn't play into the Stemily stuff, he knows how to play the game and he does it. If anything he's smart, he's making that $$, people are always talking about him, and he goes home to his wife and kid.

What Willa's mom did was disgusting. She is someone connected to the show, she body shamed Emily, then she doubled down by posting pics of her own ballet body, boasting about how thin she is at 60. I have come to the defense of EBR and KC in the past over body shaming. It's wrong. That's it. I don't care if ppl are shipping SA/EBR, SA/KC, SA/JH, SA/DR, SA/JB etc... What I do care about is that someone who knows these people in real life, decided to pit two women against each other calling one and her fans fat, and the other and her fans thin. BTW there is nothing wrong with being overweight, average, or thin. Every single body is different and that's fine. So I find all this wataboutsim defense of Willa's mom disturbing.

Her mom is essentially dissing her own daughter's fans also. Everyone that I've seen at cons have different shapes. That goes for KC's fans, Emily's and Willa's. I think her mom is just crazy and a little too much into body types.

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, Cleanqueen said:

whats interesting about this screen shot you provided was that the person who stephen responded to was posting horrendous stuff about EBR on Stephen's page and was relating tweets to him. She was actually defending his wife, so stephen's reply to her made no sense. 

And like others said, if people don't tag her then those who go to stephen's page to relate untagged tweets about his wife are the only ones bullying her...because how can she be bullied for what she doesn't know about herself.

And on the other hand the EBR bullies have actually tagged her in horrendous abusive tweets. 

So just because someone talks about how a man wants to kill his wife is untagged, it makes it okay? These aren't little fans either, they are fans who have thousands of followers on Twitter. I posted the screenshot in reply to the person who said that Amell has never addressed it, because he has. Cassandra isn't a dumb person, I am sure she knows what fans say about her especially since they often reply to Amell's Tweets with questionable things or even respond to her on her own accounts. This is life in the social media age, I am aware, but fans do take it to an extreme level. 

I think this response (in response to this photo) proves that she is well aware of what people are saying about her.  And while she says she doesn't give it a thought, it must be exhausting to know that your husband's fans hate you so much that they write to his own company in an attempt to get you banned from it. 

IMG_C8C3D7C5FE35-1.thumb.jpeg.4fb547a65208182ac3e2522a059ffb3d.jpeg

• Love 2
(edited)
23 minutes ago, lemotomato said:

I’m not sure what point you're trying to make. That there are assholes in fandom?Yes, that’s true. And water is wet, and the sun rises in the east. There are assholes in every fandom. Outlander fandom has people hating on the guy’s wife and shipping the two main actors. SPN fandom had a portion of fans convinced Jensen and Jared were a couple and their wives and kids were forced on them by the network. Those are just recent examples I’ve observed, I’m sure there are more.

No one here is agreeing with or defending the crazy stuff the assholes are saying, they’re just pointing out it’s the nature of fandom (and social media) these people exist. It’s not unique to Arrow or Olicity fandom, and they don’t make up the majority, so I’m confused why you’re pressing this issue.

People said something wasn't happening, and I pointed out that it was. I did not mean to press the issue. Every fandom has its own assholes, but that doesn't make people being assholes, whatever their fandom, okay either.

Edited by NoNameBrand
(edited)
21 minutes ago, JJ928 said:

@NoNameBrand Anything of that sort is unacceptable and should be reported. Unfortunately, that type of vitriol is aimed at most women online all the time (not just actors). There are absolutely people within fandom who are so pathetic and insecure they need to be nasty, but that doesn't excuse the behavior from Willa's mom, which is what we were talking about.  If you take a peek at any of the women from Arrow insta accts, and read the comments, you'll surely feel sick. Hell, EBR posted a pic a couple weeks ago and ppl were saying they hoped she died, the person not the character. None of that is ok & if people want to argue with those people, to defend the actors that's their choice. I'm a believer in reporting & ignoring but everyone should do what feels right to them. All I'm saying is one doesn't negate the other. People being nasty to Cassandra, doesn't give Willa's mom a pass. None of them should get a pass. It kinda seemed like you were excusing Darnell's body shaming, because some people are just as bad. But it doesn't work that way, I can be offended by both and see that both are equally wrong.

I never meant to imply that what Willa's mom did was okay, my apologies. I was only posting to point out that yes people do attack Amell's wife, and he has said something about it. If something else was implied in my post, it was not intended. All of the assholes are wrong, and nothing excuses that behavior just because someone else does it too. My initial post was simply just about the comments directed towards Amell's wife and nothing else. 

Edited by NoNameBrand
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, NoNameBrand said:

I never meant to imply that what Willa's mom did was okay, my apologies. I was only posting to point out that yes people do attack Amell's wife, and he has said something about it. If something else was implied in my post, it was not intended. All of the assholes are wrong, and nothing excuses that behavior just because someone else does it too. My initial post was simply just about the comments directed towards Amell's wife and nothing else. 

No problem.

Stay on topic, please.  What factions of the fandom do or do not do is NOT on topic.  Stick to discussing the social media of the show, not the people who watch it or your fellow posters.

Sir, that bench was dedicated to Oliver and Felicity! But since we wouldn't have them without Stephen and Emily being awesome, I'll allow it.

Also, I agree with him 100% about Whistler. I don't even ski, but it's one of my favorite places on earth.

Aww, sweet.

• Love 3
(edited)

Video of JH panel at Puerto Rico Comic Con on May 20...

Juliana Harkavy Q&A @ PR Comic Con 2018
Published on May 25, 2018, by LosCriticologos

-- On which superhero would she like to play in a movie, JH: "I would love to play Wolverine."

-- On the "weirdest thing" that's happened to her on the Arrow set, JH first said something about "fainting" and KC that I didn't understand. Then she said that being in the BC costume for the first time on set was "surreal" and that she felt like "a different person."

-- On her fave Arrow episode, JH said 511, which was the "first big episode" about Dinah.

-- JH said that they shoot 14-16 hours per day. She also said that her prep routine varies depending on whether they're shooting an action scene or a big emotional scene (listens to music). She then generally listed what's on her playlist ("Beyonce to hard rock").

-- On how Curtis gets his hair braided so fast, JH referenced EK"s answer that Kid Flash does it for Curtis.

-- On what's her fave thing about her character of Black Canary, JH: "I just love how brave she is. I mean, she will go head first into any situation. She will be at the front... She will the first to take down everybody on the front line... She's just absolutely fearless. And she's a flawed character. She's in no way perfect. But she is brave. And, uh, I am sometimes afraid to leave my house, so I really admire that about her."

-- JH said that acting is the only thing that she's ever wanted to do since she was 5 and that she's been auditioning for things and acting since she was 9. She said that, five years ago, she never would've believed it was possible that she'd now be on Arrow. JH: "This is literally my dream come true." She said that she goes to work every day "grateful" to have the opportunity.

-- On whether Dinah/BC and Laurel/BS can team up next season, JH: "I gotta say, when I watched back the [S6] finale, I was like, I kinda like this duo. I was feeling it. So I really hope so, because I think they've both been through a lot. They obviously have a lot of obvious similarities, right? But, um, now they've been through emotional tribu - trials and tribulations that are similar as well. So I would like them to pair up. I think they will. In fact, I'm pretty sure you'll see more of them together next year."

-- On her relationship with the Arrow writers, JH: "Oh, I have a great relationship with the writers." She said that this was the first year that she felt comfortable asking questions and that they were open to discussing her issues. She also would like to see more of Dinah's home life (like, her love of gardening or feeding her cat).

-- On Rene, Curtis and Dinah's "chemistry" with Diggle, JH said that the actors playing them are "some of my dearest friends" and that "any kind of chemistry is from real life" because she loves all of them.

-- On the most emotional episode that she's filmed with the cast, JH said the S6 finale and also 612 (when Vince died).

-- JH said that, in real life, she's "very much a homebody" and that she likes to "cuddle up" with her dogs.

-- On establishing chemistry off the set, JH said that the cast hangs out when they're not filming and that doing these comic cons also helps them bond together as a team.

-- On comparing The Walking Dead fandom and the Arrow fandom, JH: "I think, The Walking Dead fans, I felt like their presence was a little more like in person. Like, when we went anywhere, it was like, everybody knew. And Arrow, I feel a lot of the fandom online more." She then said that maybe it was because TWD filmed in a little town in Georgia where everybody "knew what was up," whereas Arrow films in Vancouver where "no one really cares." Interviewer noted that Arrow has been filming in Vancouver for a while now.

-- JH then said that social media can be "used for either very good or not very good," but that she tries to stay away from negativity online and to focus on "staying positive" and "spreading good messages."

-- On whether there's anyone she can go to for help and critique when she's working on an episode (other than the director), JH mentioned MG and JBamford.

-- On whether playing Black Canary has influenced her personal life, JH: "Yes, for sure." She said that she has "quite bad anxiety" and that, since playing Dinah, she's become braver, less anxious, and a stronger person. She mentioned that she even stood up to a guy at a bar who was bothering some lady the other day.

-- On SA's announcement that Batwoman was coming to the Arrowverse crossover, JH: "Yeah, that was one that I geeked out for... I got really excited when I found out that Batwoman was coming and we were going to start to integrate Gotham into Star City. Uh, I'm so excited for that. Again, all the strong, awesome characters we can get, I want them all. I want to work with them all. I can't wait for that. I don't know what capacity we're going to be working with her yet, but I hope I'm there for it."

-- On which elements of her Black Canary are different from the other Black Canaries, JH: "You know, I think - I don't know if I can say what makes her different. I mean, you know, there are obvious differences. She's not a lawyer, she's not a - she's just such a different person. She's had her own experiences. She comes from a different place. She doesn't have a family, necessarily, in the same way that the Lances do. Um, so I think she is - I don't want to say more independent, because they're extremely independent. But she's independent because she's alone. She was until she had her team. Um, that would probably the biggest difference."

-- On what advice would you give to her character, Dinah, JH: "I think I'd tell her to have a little more fun. Relax, have fun... Let loose." She said that Dinah is "intense."

-- JH: "I really have no interest in directing... But I would like to write... I would be happy to write an episode of Arrow." She said that directing was just too much hard work.

-- On her advice for dealing with anxiety, JH said that once she almost had to go to a hospital because her anxiety was so bad and then gave some advice that she read in a book (like talking to people).

-- On what her alternate Earth doppelganger might be like, JH described someone totally opposite to Dinah, like maybe someone with a couple kids who bakes cookies and is "totally domesticated," but is still a "strong and noble character."

-- JH then talked about the "physicality" demands of working on Arrow and that she has to keep training.

-- On when she finally felt like she had a handle on her Black Canary character, JH said that it wasn't until the last couple episodes of S6.

-- On her fave character in the Arrowverse, JH: "I am really in love with Nyssa."

-- JH said that she wanted to be a dog masseuse and that she wants to open a massage parlor for dogs.

-- On which other Arrowverse show did she feel that her character would be most challenged by, JH: "Probably Legends, because there are so many people on the team. And she likes to be a leader and she likes to be in charge, so I think she would be the most challenged there. And also, she's, like - she's a bit serious, so when you're Beebo jumping around with Dinah (laughs) - I think that would be great."

-- JH said that she likes to sing but she won't do karaoke, because she takes herself too seriously and she would want to sound good and "deliver a performance that makes you feel something."

-- Fan: "What's your favorite answer to the fans that complain about Olicity?" JH: "Oh, I mean, they're a great couple. I don't know what's to hate." Fan then elaborated about the online fandom fights between fans who support Felicity and fans who don't even want Felicity on the show any more. JH: "I have noticed that, actually, yeah. It's funny, that's one thing that's different about this fandom as well is, there is this - it's almost like, if the character that's a fan's favorite character isn't like on screen, there's like anger from the other side, which - I don't know, you know, I think it kinda adds to - I don't dislike it, as long as everybody's being nice. It's like, you can root for the sports team you want to root for, and I think there's some good fun in that, as long as everybody is kind. Personally, I think Olicity is great. I think they're a great little couple. I love watching them. I have no problems with them."

-- JH then was asked to pick her fave Meryl Streep movie, but she couldn't pick one.

-- JH said that the first script that she's started to write is a comedy and that she loves comedy. She also said the EK is an "incredible writer" and that she didn't even know how many scripts that he has out.

-- JH then talked about her sightseeing plans while she's in Puerto Rico and the fave foods that she's been eating in Puerto Rico.

-- On what her thoughts are on a Black Canary solo series, JH: "I love that idea. A solo series would be awesome. I also really love the idea of doing like a Birds of Prey-type spinoff. Like, get the girls together - like, all three Canaries. Maybe Batwoman could come in there, right? I think that would be so cool."

-- On what's the most practical advice that she's gotten from any of the cast members who's been on Arrow for a while, JH: "Don't read twitter. (Laughs) Well, not just don't read twitter - don't let twitter impact your decisions as an artist, which can be hard, you know? But I think it was fantastic advice."

-- On whether there's any female figure on the Arrow crew or exec side that she could look up to or that was there for them and who looked out for their interests, JH mentioned WM (who's moving on to ABC) and Beth Schwartz. She also mentioned Dani and Maya (costume designer).

Edited by tv echo

JH, find new people to turn to when you need input. Also, maybe it would help your presumed writing to realize that you’re slamming someone. I don’t think it was on purpose, but I don’t think the writers would be thrilled with that bit about, oh noes, directing is so hard, I could never, but writing? Sure, why not?

4 hours ago, bijoux said:

JH, find new people to turn to when you need input. Also, maybe it would help your presumed writing to realize that you’re slamming someone. I don’t think it was on purpose, but I don’t think the writers would be thrilled with that bit about, oh noes, directing is so hard, I could never, but writing? Sure, why not?

Dear writers, Never feel compelled to give Juliana a writing credit. Thanks xoxo 

(edited)
29 minutes ago, Mary0360 said:

Dear writers, Never feel compelled to give Juliana a writing credit. Thanks xoxo 

Who knows?  Maybe she could do a decent job?  EBR has also talked about doing a lot of writing.  Maybe someday she'd want to submit something.  They shouldn't accept anything unless it's good and fits the season and I'd hope they would pair any brand new writers with someone on staff but I wouldn't rule it out automatically.  

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, bijoux said:

I didn't take it as a slam, even an unintentional one. She talked about anxiety issues so I got the impression that for HER being the person in charge with all eyes on her and responsible for all actions and decisions would be far too overwhelming.  So that for her personally directing would be super hard. But if she writes, it makes a certain amount of sense for her to think about how she could put that skill to use. 

I'll be honest, I can't help but wonder if I or any one of a number of fan fic writers could do a better job sometimes.  (Many times) 

• Love 5
(edited)
12 hours ago, tv echo said:

JH: "I really have no interest in directing... But I would like to write... I would be happy to write an episode of Arrow." She said that directing was just too much hard work.

I'm all for talent looking to expand their horizons beyond acting, but if I remember correctly, the last time JH was asked to pitch her version of an episode of Arrow, she mentioned it would be 40 minutes full of fight scenes with very few breaks and very little dialogue. IMO, that would be an instant contender for the worst episode of all time. So, unless her perspective has changed drastically, they better not let her anywhere near the writer's room. 

Edited by strikera0
  • Love 11
(edited)

Videos of most (first 25 minutes or so) of Arrow Heroes panel (EBR, DR, JH) at HVFF-London this morning - London is 5 hours ahead of NYC...

-- When mod said that 623 hadn't aired yet in UK, DR joked: "I'm going to give so many spoilers."

-- When she read the script for 623, EBR: "I cried. I thought it was really personal and, like, straight to the heart... We usually go out with a big bang at the end of the season, both literally and figuratively, and I thought this one was like - more like an ellipsis instead of an exclamation point. I was like, ah, that kinda like cuts deep." DR: "I agree... It was kinda sad at the end of it." He then stopped so as not to spoil the finale.

-- On Beth Schwartz becoming the new showrunner for S7, DR: "Yes!" EBR: "We've started calling her 'Best Schwartz' because it's the best decision we've ever made." DR: "I agree. I agree with that."

-- On what they're looking forward to in S7, JH: "I want to see how the energy changes with this, you know, sorta of passing of the guards... I've heard that they're going to have a - um - like, the style is going to be a little different, without giving too much away. I want to learn what that means for myself as well." EBR: "This is news to me." JH: "Yeah, they said it was going to be a little stylistically different."

-- On how it felt to play a hero, JH said that playing Dinah has made her a stronger person and has helped her grow personally. DR said that he's not sure that he even thinks of Diggle as a hero and said that what people identify with Diggle is that he's just a normal guy who was in the military. DR then said that being at the con and seeing the fan response was what felt good. EBR agreed with DR that heroes don't think of themselves as heroes.

-- On what was their fave part of the Crisis on Earth-X crossover, EBR: "Working with Candice Patton." JH said that it was her first crossover, so she just liked working on all the different shows and meeting new people. She also found it "overwhelming" and said to EBR that it was a lot of work for Emily.

-- Fan complimented JH's hair. She then asked JH a question about Dinah forgiving Black Siren for what she did (I think). JH said that these were not perfect characters and that Dinah has a dark side, so she hoped that, "somewhere in her," Dinah could "empathize and understand the darkness in somebody else." She also thought that Dinah and BS were "pretty cool teamed up together," so she hoped that there'll be more of that. Same fan then said something nice about seeing GA and BC working together (I think).

-- When fan said that she was currently studying acting and asked for acting tips, DR: "Stop... That was a joke. Follow your dreams. Stay in school... Acting tips? ... Be yourself... There's no one like you, right?... Just be yourself... You have something to say, so just say it... Don't be afraid. That would be my advice. Don't be afraid." EBR: "I'd say, like, do improv. Even if you don't like comedy, do improv, 'cause it gets you like - I don't know, it gets you in your body, at least for me. And it's fun... If it scares you and makes you want to throw up, you're probably in the right direction." JH: "I want to throw up right now." EBR: "I want to throw up right now too." DR then said something like that's because of drinking last night and they all laughed. DR: "That's a joke. Stay in school." JH said to "separate the business side from the art" because it's too easy to find yourself just auditioning and not acting any more. She also agreed with EBR to do improv. DR said to "start where you are" and 

-- On his fave part of Season 2, DR: "Season 2? ... You know that was 25 years ago... Personally, I think that Season 2 was our best season... It was tough to beat that season. I think that's when everything really gelled. I think, um - I think we really flushed out Deathstroke... We were flushing out John Barrowman's character. Emily became a regular. I think OTA kinda sealed during that season. Kinda sealed it up. I think that was probably one of our best seasons because we really were dealing with changing this Oliver Queen, murderer mythos into this hero... I think that was the year he got the mask... He moved out of that suit he was in that gave honor to his teachers and started moving more toward a kind of - this urban suit, urban warfare suit. I just think it was a big development year... And Diggle just started coming into his own... That's kind of the season, I think, things just really clicked for us." EBR: "Feels so long ago and yesterday."

-- On who is their fave character in Arrow, EBR: "I like Diggle and Dinah, 'cause I don't want to be [unintelligible word] on the stage." JH: "Diggle and Felicity." DR: "Oh, I really like... I would love her to be there more. I really like Lyla."

-- On what they would take home from the Arrow set once the show is over, EBR said that there's this cookie jar in the shape of a cactus with a sombrero on top and also a "counterpart to it" in the shape of a teddy bear that's also a cookie jar. She said that they're both in a warehouse somewhere and that she's been trying to get a hold of them for a while, so next time they're on set, she's going to grab them. JH said that she already has 3 or 4 bo staffs at home. DR then praised JH with the bo staff: "She is awesome with the bo staff." DR said that he would take "Diggle as Arrow's crossbow." He also said that he already takes the Spartan helmet home and just brings it to work.

-- On why Diggle wanted to wear the GA suit, DR said that he wanted to get away from Diggle wanting the suit, but he wanted the Oliver/Diggle conflict to be more about Diggle making different decisions than Oliver.

-- On the GA suit, DR: "But what I enjoy more is that I'm hearing that I won't be in it next season, which is awesome. The suit is very hot."

-- Fan corrected DR about which season in which Oliver took off the old suit (S4).

-- When fan asked how Roy will be brought back in S7, EBR didn't know and DR avoided answering directly. Instead, he said that he couldn't say "enough good things" about Beth taking over as showrunner. DR also said that, when he went to the writers room when they were editing 623, he saw their board with all the characters and what they've outlined for what they want to do with them. DR: "You probably heard online that Batwoman's coming, right? But, listen, guys... that ain't nothing compared to what they have planned. Like, they have some serious stuff... I think you're really in for a good treat in Season 7." DR also confirmed that he's directing 711 and joked that it's "the weakest script of the season." 

-- When fan asked about having an episode where the good guys turn into bad guys and the bad guys turn into good guys in the future, DR: "Hey! The crossover... (Fan asked, "For Season 6?") No, the upcoming crossover for 7. Just wait for that. Just wait for that."

-- On what superpower they'd like to have, JH said flying or being invisible. DR wanted the Flash's speed. EBR wanted to be able to have french fries at will or being able to change traffic lights to green.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 5
(edited)

Pic of Arrow panel (EK, KL, DN, PB) at Tauranga Armageddon in New Zealand on May 26 - New Zealand is 16 hours ahead of NYC...

Edited by tv echo