Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

I'd think that Arrow fans deserve to have ...

Okay, this is where I disagree. I don't think the fans are owed anything from a party for the cast/crew. And I'm dropping it now.

I'm sure they'll be much more promotion for the 100th and the crossovers when they are getting ready to air in November.

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, Trini said:

I'm sure they'll be much more promotion for the 100th and the crossovers when they are getting ready to air in November.

Sure, promotion that's going to focus on being the middle part of the epic! superhero! crossover!, not that it's Arrow's 100th episode. 

It's not even getting a unique title, for crying out loud. It's sharing the same title with Flash 3.08 and LoT 208.

• Love 8
9 minutes ago, lemotomato said:

Sure, promotion that's going to focus on being the middle part of the epic! superhero! crossover!, not that it's Arrow's 100th episode. 

It's not even getting a unique title, for crying out loud. It's sharing the same title with Flash 3.08 and LoT 208.

Isn't it called

Spoiler

Invasion!

No kidding. That's a very meta title.

Edited by wonderwall
  • Love 10
12 minutes ago, wonderwall said:
Spoiler

Isn't it called Invasion!

No kidding. That's a very meta title.

Yep. I wasn't sure if it was spoilery or not.

Edited by MuuMuuChainsmoker
Spoiler tag
2 hours ago, lemotomato said:

This is what hits home to me the most.  Arrow is the show that started their Berlanti-verse on CW and it's a show that has a very devoted and active fanbase.  And yet it keeps getting treated by the EPs (Berlanti and Kreisburg, I'm looking at you ) as the red headed step child.

Instead of celebrating Arrow getting to 100 episodes, which is not that easy a feat on the multi-channel TV universe, actors from The Flash are front and centre in the pictures and the promotion is all about how it's the middle pole of a four show crossover.  It's not even the beginning or the end, which are more important places (primacy and recency effects).  Arrow is the one in the middle that gets forgotten about.

I feel for the crew especially.

• Love 7
5 minutes ago, bijoux said:

Looking at the above pic, has Steve slimmed down? He doesn't look as bulky as he has in the near past. I like it.

I remember him talking about going for leaner muscle mass after TMNT came out.  I don't know if it was because of the movie or if because he knew they were getting rid of the bicep baring Arrow costume.

13 hours ago, tarotx said:

Caity is the only LOT cast member in the main picture so I don't know why people keep saying LOT.  Caity is a former Arrow cast member. And the fandom got super nasty to her last night. I'm sorry but I can't take anybody serious anymore. 

I know this has mostly been dropped, but I just want to add my 2 cents.

I hope the nastiness was limited to subtweeting and not sent directly to her, but I can see where seeing her being front and center in every pic rubbed people the wrong way.  Imagine if it had been KC doing it - would anyone defend her? I like CL, but those pics annoyed me, too. 

13 hours ago, Trini said:

I don't think because a specific set of actors didn't get a specific photo means this whole thing is a FAIL. Arrow got to 100 episodes! They got a party! With an Arrow cake! With the cast! Yay! This is a WIN.

Unless I got it all wrong, I think the disappointment for most people comes from both the feeling of Arrow being neglected and certain actors coming off as trying to steal the spotlight. Can't exactly help the impression you get, even understanding that it was not a celebration for fans.

Edited by looptab
  • Love 15

I just saw the pics and it's bizarre to me there isn't one pic only with the main Arrow cast. We can debate on the purpose of the party or if KC should have been in this hypothetical pic I thought they were going to take since after all she's been a regular for most of the show but still not one picture of only the main cast is weird to me. I saw celebrations of different shows and they all did it, I guess because it's the normal thing to do.

Also if I was an actor/actress that guest starred on the show I wouldn't try to stay in the middle of the pic of a show that was never about me but most actors live for the spotlight so it isn't surprising at all.

Edited by Midnight Lullaby
  • Love 12

I think it's a pretty understandable human reaction to be slightly annoyed and quite disappointed with the lack of "core" cast pictures. PR event or not, that party was pretty symptomatic of things that, at least, part of the audience felt strongly about ( a feeling of "rebooting" the show, lack of OTA, the show as a mere vehicle to launch other shows). 

I, personally, do not begrudge the network or whomever in ~charge (aha!) for inviting the casts of the other spinoff shows that Arrow helped launching. It is an achievement that should be recognized as such! And btw, I thought that GG was very mellow, classy, and very much knew his place. He showed up to be supportive and celebrate without making it all about himself or the Flash. 

Though the cake cutting picture was just one epic LOL as the core cast (which, for me, includes KC as she was in 90+ episodes) and of course the EPs, was not really front and center and include some random peeps who had like 30sec of screentime. Though, honestly, it could have been way worse. 

Perhaps some pictures were taken and would be realeased later (not holding my breath though). I do appreciate DR and SA picture. DR is a seasoned actor who knows how to address the audience, so that was a balm to my embittered heart. 

Once again given the strong reactions, that was one epic fail at PR but who's really surprised anymore? I think what made it worse was also the comparison (right or wrong, idek) with other 100 episodes parties (e.g. TVD, Supernatural, GG - all shows I never watched) where the cast were front and center and which didn't help soften the blow. 

Also, I don't think there was any ill-intent from the people who "tried to be in the spotlight". They must have been genuinely excited - fame hungry or not - and just jumped in because there wasn't any kind of orderly planning. Or maybe it's the optimist in me speaking, for having lived in LA and worked in the business for quite some time, I should know better but eh! Can't blame a girl for trying. 

Ultimately, I think it all boils down to bad organisation, to being one big family of the CW/DC super universe, and even worse to a lack of understanding of the audience, because as much as the party is for the industry, without an audience there isn't much of a show. 

Edited by RussianRoulette
  • Love 18

I doubt we will get an official OTA picture or a picture of the current cast on the show. It's like all those SDCC 2016 pictures that are yet to be released and will probably pop up once Arrow ends.

Also the party might have been for the cast and crew but without the fans that party wouldn't be possible. Just like Stephen said (paraphrasing)"we wouldn't be able to make this show without you guys", so if you can't give the fans the things theyve been begging for, then really how is this a celebration of them getting you to where you are? I have never seen a network mistreat a popular ship the way the network mistreats Olicity and their fans. But then again Suzanne planned the party so I am not shocked that photos weren't properly executed. And no, they didn't need to be only taken at the red carpet, they could have been taken on the floor, on stage basically anywhere. I have lost all faith in Suzanne or this network, olicity was always promoted by the fans anyways. 

• Love 6

I get the frustrations and the annoyance. I think the cake cutting should have been OTA, Willa and Paul and probably Katie since that is the "cast" of Arrow for most of the 100 but nothing was organized. That's where it should be directed toward. 

Instead we got this :(  The picture that is showing up on screen, does anyone have that version? It shows Diggle better. 

65xye9.jpg

• Love 2

Just throwing this out there, cause if other people are gonna complain so am I.  That cake is ugly.   It looks fake and not like a cake.   It looks like a plastic sign and I could have made something better in my kitchen despite being a terrible baker. 

• Love 21

SA looks happy in that pic, I haven't seen with that smile in pics in awhile.  He's having fun which is the most important at a party celebrating his show. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 3
6 minutes ago, Delphi said:

Just throwing this out there, cause if other people are gonna complain so am I.  That cake is ugly.   It looks fake and not like a cake.   It looks like a plastic sign and I could have made something better in my kitchen despite being a terrible baker. 

Isn't a "fake"cake? And they serve the sheet cake afterwards? I don't really know but this comment amuse me greatly! Thank you! / I am the worst cook and baker ever! Like I could burn water. The title is mine! 

6 minutes ago, RussianRoulette said:

Isn't a "fake"cake? And they serve the sheet cake afterwards? I don't really know but this comment amuse me greatly! Thank you! / I am the worst cook and baker ever! Like I could burn water. The title is mine! 

It's definitely the real cake; the Poppy actress posted a video of it after it got cut up and served. 

I think it's plain and uninspired. It's a sheet cake covered in fondant, big whoop. I've seen better Arrow-themed cakes in the submissions to SA's fan art Fridays.

• Love 11

Cast of Arrow + showrunners, that is usually how these things go, but they wanted to go big I guess. If you've had a huge impact on the show and are there, get in on the action, stand somewhere and smile no matter of placement. Compare 

wbowib.jpg

buffy-100th-episode-party-002.jpg

bd504f0eb52ef4af550fddd3286df40b.jpgnina-dobrev-in-naeem-khan-tvd-100th-epis

glee-100th-episode-celebration-pics-01.Jtumblr_mnynqyjkjn1r8kxato1_500.jpg

Now we just wait and see if they actually release an "official" picture of the cake cutting ceremony.

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, lemotomato said:

It's definitely the real cake; the Poppy actress posted a video of it after it got cut up and served. 

I think it's plain and uninspired. It's a sheet cake covered in fondant, big whoop. I've seen better Arrow-themed cakes in the submissions to SA's fan art Fridays.

Really? It doesn't sound very appetizing! And I love cake, dammit! (But I hate fondant)

ETA: WTF is EK doing there (re:cake cutting)? Front and center? Really? I love EK but I fail to. ~ engage with Curtis. But still? What? 

Edited by RussianRoulette

Question for more expert people: I Googled pics of TVD 100th episode's party (BTW, there were some with the cast of The Originals, some with the main trio, and some of the current - at the time - main cast) but there are actually two batches of photos - and two cakes. One is from the party - so red carpet, and cake photo with the cast and producers, but there are also other pics with just the cast (in different outfits) and a different cake. So, maybe they'll do a photoshoot or something? 

Edited by looptab
2 minutes ago, looptab said:

Question for more expert people: I Googled pics of TVD 100th episodes (BTW, there were some with the cast of The Originals, some with the main trio, and some of the current - at the time - main cast) but there are actually two batches of photos - and two cakes. One is from the party - so red carpet, and cake photo with the cast and producers, but there are also other pics with just the cast (in different outfits) and a different cake. So, maybe they'll do a photoshoot or something? 

They had a celebration on set and an actual party. 

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, looptab said:

Question for more expert people: I Googled pics of TVD 100th episodes (BTW, there were some with the cast of The Originals, some with the main trio, and some of the current - at the time - main cast) but there are actually two batches of photos - and two cakes. One is from the party - so red carpet, and cake photo with the cast and producers, but there are also other pics with just the cast (in different outfits) and a different cake. So, maybe they'll do a photoshoot or something? 

Yes, TVD did a separate video/photoshoot:

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, dtissagirl said:

Yes, TVD did a separate video/photoshoot:

That's what I thought. I guess my question should have been, any chance of it happening for Arrow too? I'm guessing no, haha.

P.S. I'm so inept at life that I came in here and asked rather than looking for it myself. Thank you for the link <3

• Love 3

Ha, no worries, I used to watch TVD back in S5, so I remembered it.

A lot of shows bring a cake to set during the shooting of the 100th episode and take some pics, separate from whatever party they throw. But Arrow is a special unicorn with terribad PR. And it was also during crazy crossover schedule, so it might have been that they literally had no time to do so.

• Love 10

Also the party might have been for the cast and crew but without the fans that party wouldn't be possible. Just like Stephen said (paraphrasing)"we wouldn't be able to make this show without you guys", so if you can't give the fans the things theyve been begging for, then really how is this a celebration of them getting you to where you are? 

Its one thing to beg for things in the show (which they are not always obligated to follow through either), and then another to beg & demand how cast and crew should conduct themselves behind the scenes. Im sure they are grateful but it doesnt mean they have to sell out their agency.  Fame comes with this price sure but this is still another job and they are still human. At some point it  must get overwhelming having a million voices telling you what you should do and how to live your life. 

Looks like all of them are Arrow people + 2 network exes, I see no issue here.

Edited by HeroLeague
  • Love 1

Everyone who stood around the cake (minus the guy next to Katrina, idk who that even is) has played a crucial role on the show. And when you minus him, it is only Katrina and Caity. Everyone else are the usual people who would be there. 

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, dtissagirl said:

I just find it hilarious that they just took this one pic with 300 people around the cake. Even my forever fave loser show Smallville took A BUNCH of different pics with the 200 episode cake.

If Arrow reaches 200 then they can do the same. They took one main pic for their 100th. 

8 minutes ago, HeroLeague said:

Its one thing to beg for things in the show (which they are not always obligated to follow through either), and then another to beg & demand how cast and crew should conduct themselves behind the scenes. Im sure they are grateful but it doesnt mean they have to sell out their agency.  Fame comes with this price sure but this is still another job and they are still human. At some point it  must get overwhelming having a million voices telling you what you should do and how to live your life. 

Looks like all of them are Arrow people + 2 network exes, I see no issue here.

I think we're all basically expressing our concern with Arrow's lack of agency. It's lost control over its own narrative thanks to the expanded universe (stupid Barry!), and what we're seeing about the party speaks to its lack of agency in regards to who is front and center at Arrow's 100th episode party. The party seemed much more about promoting crossovers and the entire universe than it did celebrating Arrow's accomplishments.

If Arrow had agency, I don't think there would be anything to complain about except for the usual subpar writing and ForPlot! shenanigans.

And, for the record, I haven't begged for or demanded anything as an Arrow fan.  I've merely expressed my frustration within an online community.

• Love 16

Hey guys, remember that dinner with Berlanti and people from Supergirl, Flash, and LOT? :)

TBC, I have no issues with people from other shows being at the party. Of course they would be there. It's just that the pics we've seen leave a really bad taste in my mouth. Katrina and Caity, I love you, but GTFO of there. Sorry, JMO.

Edited by looptab
  • Love 11

The party seemed much more about promoting crossovers and the entire universe than it did celebrating Arrow's accomplishments. 

The shows benefit in ratings and buzz for being part of an extended shared universe, well there is a price to pay too, pros and cons. The shows have to share their spotlight with the other.

Edited by HeroLeague
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, Midnight Lullaby said:

I feel Arrow reaches the 200th they'lol take a pic with also the people from Supergirl and the missing guest stars they weren't there this time! LOL

Or the folks FROM Smallville. Chico's BFF with KKreuk and Erica Durance to this day, she can invite them.

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, HeroLeague said:

The shows benefit in ratings and buzz for being part of an extended shared universe, well there is a price to pay too, pros and cons. The shows have to share their spotlight with the other.

If only there were an example of The Flash or LoT sharing their spotlight with Arrow...

I mean, even one of the reporters that was at the 100th party was tweeting about all the great Flash scoop she got there - not a damn thing about Arrow - the actual show she was at a party for, haha.

• Love 22
7 minutes ago, Primal Slayer said:

Like they did with Arrow? Arrow peeps will probably be at the party do and be part of a big group picture, though most people probably wont care since Arrow will be in its 7th (and probably final) season.

David, Stephen and Emily will definitely not walk the red carpet and insert themselves in pictures. I can't say the same for the other Arrow actors old and new.

• Love 3
Just now, Cleanqueen said:

David, Stephen and Emily will definitely not walk the red carpet and insert themselves in pictures. I can't say the same for the other Arrow actors old and new.

The red carpet is for everyone, it isn't specific to the cast and I wouldnt be surprised to see Stephen in some of the pictures. He sees himself as the grandfather of all the shows, he isn't low key like EBR. But if he or David show up, they will be on the red carpet most likely.

• Love 2

Red carpet is one thing. Letting people shine who were responsible for the success of their show is another thing. If anybody from the flarrow cast deserved to have a place there, was Grant, but he respectfully chose to stay in the background. Same with Carlos.

• Love 5
Just now, Velocity23 said:

Red carpet is one thing. Letting people shine who were responsible for the success of their show is another thing. If anybody from the flarrow cast deserved to have a place there, was Grant, but he respectfully chose to stay in the background. Same with Carlos.

Nobody from Flash was up there at the cake cutting ceremony. The huge group picture was taken on the red (green) carpet. It is no different from the cast of The Originals being in a big group picture with TVD cast.
article-2496935-1951C1E400000578-180_634

The cast has nothing to do with it, it is the people in charge of the event who are responsible to get all the necessary groups they want.

• Love 3

Caity, Katrina, Echo, Josh Segarra and probably even Colton (since he left in season 3) all shouldn't be at the cake cutting but they all are arrow people. I rather have the actors from the characters who have made a lasting impression and impact than random current cast. Though the people behind the scenes should have organized it being OTA, Paul, Willa and Katie. 

I don't think Grant chose to stay in the background of the large picture. He just missed it. I think Carlos arrived late. 

• Love 1

Grant and Carlos have always been a class act. I don't even fault Candice or DP, they looked like they were just pushed to be in that picture. 

And yes walking the red carpet and actually inserting yourself in a group photo is totally different. How anyone didn't push all the arrow ppl to take one pic together is astonishing. Like I don't go to a wedding and insert myself in a group photo where the bride and groom are taking pics with their family. 

• Love 8
20 minutes ago, Primal Slayer said:

Like they did with Arrow? Arrow peeps will probably be at the party do and be part of a big group picture, though most people probably wont care since Arrow will be in its 7th (and probably final) season.

So I'm supposed to judge what's happening NOW because of possible scenarios in the future? Can you give me some lottery numbers while you're at it?

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, Cleanqueen said:

Grant and Carlos have always been a class act. I don't even fault Candice or DP, they looked like they were just pushed to be in that picture. 

And yes walking the red carpet and actually inserting yourself in a group photo is totally different. How anyone didn't push all the arrow ppl to take one pic together is astonishing. Like I don't go to a wedding and insert myself in a group photo where the bride and groom are taking pics with their family. 

So we know someone was there and they called for "Cast of Arrow" and the Flash peeps just jumped in? Everyone was there at that moment and the photographer wanted a picture, even Grant basically admitted he wasnt there in time for it or else he proabbly would've been in it as well so...oops on him. If you go to a wedding the photographer gets all the necessary groups, the Arrow wedding photographer didnt do that, thats on them.

3 minutes ago, lemotomato said:

So I'm supposed to judge what's happening NOW because of possible scenarios in the future? Can you give me some lottery numbers while you're at it?

Judge the fact that NO ONE from The Flash was up there when they cut cake so why would ANYONE from Arrow go up there when The Flash cast cut their cake? Trying to blame the Flash peeps for being part of a photo that they had no control over is useless. Blame the people running the event and not getting all the necessary set ups. 

Edited by Primal Slayer
  • Love 3