Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

7 hours ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

I'm kinda curious about when the writers decided to drop the LI part of Poppy's role. She first showed up in the second episode, although I don't remember a lot of interaction with Oliver. I think she had a line about him taking to being a bad guy like fish taking to water. But as late as ep 12, I think, they were still trying to sell that Oliver was in love with her (Shado hallucination). So when during the watching of the dailies did they realize, "Oh sh*t, we got Laurel 2.0 here."

Oh, they decided for sure pretty late. I don't wanna rewatch to figure out exactly, but it might have been as late as while plotting the final run from 416 to 423.

I mean. There's always the LOLtastic possibility that TPTB were totally liking what they were seeing in the flashbacks in early eps [prior to anything airing], and thought Poppy was, uh, popping... and then it all came crashing down on them in the weeks after the Constantine episode aired. Because that's when negative buzz on the flashbacks started happening every single week. They were filming 410 when 405 aired. That means they had 411 and 412 written. I imagine they had pretty much everything up to 415 plotted. So it makes sense that noped it when they set down to figure out the last stretch post Feb sweeps.

Edited by dtissagirl
  • Love 2
11 minutes ago, Velocity23 said:

The 100 episode wrap party is happening this weekend most likely.

I wonder if it's in LA or Vancouver?  I think the SPN 200 Party was in LA.

I'm kinda curious about when the writers decided to drop the LI part of Poppy's role

I'm curious as to when they decided to drop the Mostly Flashback episode. ?

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I wonder if it's in LA or Vancouver?  I think the SPN 200 Party was in LA.

I'm curious as to when they decided to drop the Mostly Flashback episode. ?

I have a feeling around the same time they made a decision on Poppy :P 

But which one was it supposed to be? 15 was the whole Vixen and BMD drama. Was it supposed to be 16?

Edited by SmallScreenDiva

Posted by SA on youtube on Oct. 1 (recorded on Sep. 29) - warning: mentions spoilers (see spoiler tags below)...

-- SA: "It's Thursday, I think.

It's Crossover Day 4, something. You know, I'm posting a lot of photos and I think everyone assumes they're all from the Arrow 100th episode. They are not. But people are allowed to assume that."

-- SA: "A lot of people are posting an article on my page. I knew that there was going to be an article written about the convention world. And I actually took time out of my busy day to, uh, speak with the publication that was writing it because when I got wind of what was going to be in it, it was littered with so many comical inaccuracies that I felt like correcting the record or at least nudging them away from the cliff of insanity would've been the reasonable, correct and moral thing to do. You can give people all the facts that you want. They don't have to print them. And I guess when you're involved in an industry that's being rendered largely obsolete because of platforms like this, you're more interested in clicks and agendas than accuracy. Not mad. Shit happens. Change your pants."

-- SA:

"Tett Saventes says 'How fast will you get rid of Felicity's new boyfriend?' She has a new boyfriend?"

-- On what's the most challenging thing for him this season, SA:

"Oh boy, I don't know. The schedule has been very reasonable. The schedule for the crossover is basically like, for the crossover, I read all of the scripts three times. And then, uh, I basically live one day at a time where they, uh, just tell me where I'm going. Cause I'm vascillating between shows. Yesterday I was on Legends and then I was on Flash, and I got to do a scene with Victor Garber. Not saying on which show. Oh, it's awesome.  VIctor Garber's... voice sounds like Christmas morning feels when you're a kid, like when you're 8 and you know for sure you got exactly what you wanted. That is what his voice sounds like to me. And you know Grant - it's nice working with Grant."

-- SA:

"Man, the flashbacks kick ass this year. They really do. Uh, they feel really tied in. I know that some reviews of the early episodes say that they feel, you know, inspired and connected in a way that maybe they didn't last year and the past couple of years."

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, foreverevolving said:

Oliver.. is that an arrow in your pocket or are you just happy to be back? or: those pants are really tight!

Glad to know my mind isn't the only one in the gutter.   I literally went, "OH sleeves! Ohhh, something else. "

• Love 5

To me, it's not so much as Bamford directing in general (like, if he's been here since day and his dream is to direct, giving him one-shot isn't so bad, kind of like how they give show-runners and actors chances to direct episodes on other shows) but an over-use thing that I really don't appreciate. I mentioned it before but coming into 509, he would have directed a third of s5, which is a lack of intellectual diversity at this point from someone whose main focus had never really been directing. 

• Love 18

I love Lexi's twitter rants. They give me an insight into backstage Arrow that I'd have to wait for the tell all book for otherwise. 

Seriously though, Arrow has been lacking in diversity both in front of and behind the camera for a while. I thought season 1 was wonderfully diverse, but it's just gone downhill since then. Now they're so lacking in diversity that you can't even tell the white guys apart. I get that they've been going for almost 5 years, so they've got their core gang, but anyone who wants to create the best show they can should be looking at getting other viewpoints from outside the show, and not just hiring the same guy over and over again. 

I'm glad Lexi has spoken up about this issue. I think directors are sort of hidden from the public, so you don't really notice it at all (unless it's BamBam, then you notice every camera angle). 

• Love 9

I read it and immediately thought of Bamford. He has no directing experience (and it shows) and yet here he is directing the huge crossover. Meanwhile, there's people out there with actual training and experience and they get nothing. Must be so frustrating.

• Love 13
1 hour ago, way2interested said:

To me, it's not so much as Bamford directing in general (like, if he's been here since day and his dream is to direct, giving him one-shot isn't so bad, kind of like how they give show-runners and actors chances to direct episodes on other shows) but an over-use thing that I really don't appreciate. I mentioned it before but coming into 509, he would have directed a third of s5, which is a lack of intellectual diversity at this point from someone whose main focus had never really been directing. 

I agree. It's different if someone, let's say an actor, wants to give directing a try and they usually only get one episode a season. Once they're more experienced, they might get two or three. I'll use the example of Gregory Smith, who started out in acting for the majority of his career. But he started directing with a short film before being given the reigns for a few Rookie Blue episodes. He was given one a year until the last season, where he was given two. That solidified his status as a director and he got to direct more shows. And he certainly wasn't given big episodes to direct at first. And now he's directing episodes in the Flarrowverse because he's established himself as someone who loves directing and is able to direct. Even with his Berlanti connection, he certainly proved himself to be worthy of being a director. 

But Bamford already has three this season and he had two last season. That's an awful lot for someone who has been mainly a stunt coordinator until this past year. You don't just throw a newbie director with no experience into directing. It would be like throwing a producer into acting as a series regular on a major television program. Just because they've been in the industry for years, it doesn't mean that they have the experience to do another job. Bamford is good at stunts (last year aside, I do think his stunt coordination is pretty solid because his 17 years of experience shows). If he wants to do directing work, fine. But giving him five episodes in a span of a year to direct? That is way too much for a new director. 

Plus, that lessens the chances for actual directors to get their shot, it really does. 

• Love 8

Hasn't Bamford directed in the past? Like in Stargate Atlantis or something? I still don't think he has what it takes to handle big episodes, but I thought he had previous experience. Those tweets by Lexi, though. Wow! I like that she mentioned studying the acting craft to be able to deal with actors and that she pointed out that she didn't think her previous stunt work made her qualified to direct. It was just part of her arsenal.

• Love 1

I just checked imdb.  Bam Bam has directed five times, all Arrow and all within the past year. 

Although he did do second unit on one episode of Atlantis and Jeremiah.  Probably just stunts. 

Edited by Delphi
Second unit stuff

Far be it from me to defend Bamford but he only got the 2nd episode last year because Antonio Negret had to drop out to film a movie.

It's entirely possible that Bamford got 1 or 2 of this season's episodes due to the same thing. 

It's possible that he got the second one last season because he was available but giving him the first two of this season plus the big flashy crossover, not to mention 3 out of the 9 episodes, says "Teacher's Pet" to me.

But he's a white dude.  Between the directors hired this year and the three mayo actors in Legacy that I can't tell apart, the lack of diversity on this show is appalling.

• Love 18

Bamford's directing also makes me feel icky because I do believe that Lexi Alexander was implying that the Arrow set is unwelcome to women directors. I'm still side eyeing that comment from Berlanti that the 20-some odd women they asked said no. I feel there's a reason for their declining the invitation to direct that is unrelated to their children - as the quote stated. I shouldn't single out Bamford directly, but it seems like there's a bigger problem that isn't being addressed. 

• Love 17

I think the problem isn't just Bamford, the problem is that he seems to epitomize the lack of diversity in the directors seat. The problems are a mishmash of things like 

a) Lexi has already indirectly stated that Arrow has a bro culture and is unwelcoming to women

b) Berlanti said that they were 'trying' to increase the number of women and minorities

c) But then he said that the reason women didn't want to work in Vancouver was because they didn't want to be away from their families (WTF?)

d) Bamford, despite having no directing experience before Arrow has been given the reins for the important episodes, the premier and the crossover. And his directing is not very good (though I admit that is subjective).

This all points to Lexi's statement being very accurate. The frustrating thing for me most is that they have acknowledged that there is a problem, but haven't done anything about it. I felt the same frustration two years ago when they'd just cast Matt Nable as Ra's, after they stated that they were working to increase the number of minority roles across the Flarrow universe. 

They've had opportunities to hire more women, and the fact that they've essentially ignored that to the point where they've hired 1 woman out of 8 episodes, and for the other 8, 3 are being directed by Bamford. Like, come on! You've admitted there's a problem, you've said that you're taking steps to fix it, and then you've just chosen the same guy to direct a third of your episodes? 

• Love 21

Obviously this issue is bigger than Bam and Arrow but imo it's fair game for him to be singled out because let's face it he went from never directing (2nd units aside) to being given two eps in one year followed by the premier, second episode and crossover/100th ep of Arrow, all the while being noticeably bad at the whole 'directing' thing. 

• Love 7
7 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Obviously this issue is bigger than Bam and Arrow but imo it's fair game for him to be singled out because let's face it he went from never directing (2nd units aside) to being given two eps in one year followed by the premier, second episode and crossover/100th ep of Arrow, all the while being noticeably bad at the whole 'directing' thing. 

To be fair, although those of us here hate his shaky cam and bad transitions, Bamford got heaps of praise from SA and places like GATV, who chose him as "best director" in their annual poll. Bro dudes promoting bro dudes.

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, lemotomato said:

To be fair, although those of us here hate his shaky cam and bad transitions, Bamford got heaps of praise from SA and places like GATV, who chose him as "best director" in their annual poll. Bro dudes promoting bro dudes.

That's like damning him with faint praise, since the whole thing smacks of him even getting the directing gigs in the first place because all those Arow centric bro dudes love him ;)

Edited by lexicon
  • Love 5

I didn't have a problem with Bamford getting a second episode last year after Antonio dropped out, and could sort of understand that he got 5.1 and 5.2 because they shot them together, but I find it galling that they are giving him episode 100.  It's the crossover, its the 100th episode, and they should try to make it special. 

Question:  None of the writers stand out for me as having a strong voice or signature style.  Well, Keto did, but only because I hated how she wrote Diggle and I did notice some of Kreisberg's dialogue.  I've only had three fannish shows, and one was Buffy which was very writer driven, but I find it interesting that I couldn't pick any writers out based on their scripts if I had to, but its the directors I notice.

• Love 6

It's the crossover that turned me from indifferent to outraged.  I've even speculated on why they might find him super handy since he's around and probably not very demanding but it's a disservice to the show not to hire someone that is actually qualified for such an important episode and one that probably was packed with unusual needs.  He's probably good enough (with lots of support from the crew) to handle a standard, very straightforward Arrow episode, but dealing with the other guest stars and crowded scenes and probably special effects and trying to make it part of something bigger, that's a lot to ask of a veteran.  Of a newbie, it's a just asking for disaster.

But if he does end up mucking it up, (I'm predicting running long on the shoot) that might at least slow how enthusiastic the IIC are over his directing.   

• Love 5