Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

Well, she's dead, so unless OQ has a major kink we don't know about...

They still could play it that she's mostly dead for ...reasons. 

They invoked the "love of her life" for reasons. Maybe it's a nod to because comics...with BC/GA "love of their lives" and that's it. But they ended up replanting that seed is all I'm saying.

Zombie Laurel for season five. She can even be next season's roadblock for Oliver and Felicity!

Because her body parts keep falling off and actually literally blocking the road? Because that's the only way she could block their road.

Wait, what? So, Oliver would display romantic feelings (which haven't been AT ALL hinted at on HIS side for three years) with a chick who's..."mostly dead." I was KIDDING about him banging a corpse!

Edited by AyChihuahua
  • Love 1

Well it was replanted, then stomped to death and never watered.

I know this show makes us paranoid (seriously) but Oliver gave nothing during that scene. I think they're very done.

• Love 11

They invoked the "love of her life" for reasons. Maybe it's a nod to because comics...with BC/GA "love of their lives" and that's it. But they ended up replanting that seed is all I'm saying.

I don't think they intentionally replanted anything. Oliver didn't reciprocate any of Laurel's feelings (and even she said she knew she wasn't the love of Oliver's life) - his only response was to ask why she was telling him that. It could not have been more one-sided there. 

• Love 5

Because her body parts keep falling off and actually literally blocking the road?

That would be more reasonable than anything that's happened to keep them apart for the last two seasons, so...why not? In all seriousness I am genuinely curious to see how Oliver and Felicity will be kept apart next season. I don't particularly care for them together, but I feel like the writers are actively looking for reasons to keep them apart and it's just not fun to watch for me.

Edited by manbearpig

Yeah! I checked she was born in 1970, so she'll turn 46 this year.

Damn.

Are you serious?! I would have said 30, tops. I was like "Joe was supposed to have had a child bride?! Awkward."
  • Love 3

That would be more reasonable than anything that's happened to keep them apart for the last two seasons, so...why not? In all seriousness I am genuinely curious to see how Oliver and Felicity will be kept apart next season. I don't particularly care for them together, but I feel like the writers are actively looking for reasons to keep them apart and it's just not fun to watch for me.

You know, that's a toughie. I feel like the network would put some pressure on the EPs not to split them up again. It hasn't seemed to be a ratings winner and it's not a social media winner. But Guggie's, IMO, a moron, and also really stubborn, so...I THINK they'll mostly be together next season, with no internal couple shenanigans. But yeah, who knows.

I don't think I qualify as a shipper anymore, mostly bc I feel like punching Oliver in the face really hard a lot of the time, but I want them together and chill in the background with occasional highlight episodes, as they were from 1-7. So I'm hoping they put them together and just leave it alone, and it MIGHT actually happen next season. After Felicity returns from her hiatus-long kidnapping, at least (that's NOT a spoiler, just a guess).

Enough talking about the fans and other fan reactions. If you want to talk about the episode please go to the episode thread. If you want to talk about the relationships please go to the relationships thread. If you want to be bitter go to the bitterness thread. This thread is about social media and behind the scenes. Thanks!

If you missed the telecast, you can go to this link to watch video of SA's part (I thought he did a good job)...

SA Presents Best Kiss Nominees at 2016 MTV Movie Awards
http://www.mtv.com.au/2016-mtv-movie-awards/videos/stephen-amell-presents-the-nominees-for-best-kiss-2016-mtv-movie-awards

And here's another SA interview on the red carpet at the 2016 MTV Movie Awards...

Stephen Amell, mtvma, interview, Arrow,
Published on Apr 10, 2016, by MonsieurHollywood.com

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

I'm amused at the writers' and SA's reactions on social media. It's like they knew the outrage was coming and were just waiting for it with their lines all prepared.  SA especially seems all "yeah, what evs".  Maybe even glad to get it out in the open and over with now instead of having to balance the competing fandoms.

While it seems that Guggenheim's "vocal minority" (I wonder how long he was waiting to say that because it really seems like he's flipping them the bird) is upset, in terms of this season's TV show, with The 100, TWD and now Sleepy Hollow, killing Laurel wasn't such a big deal in the big picture.

One of the phrases that I keep seeing in all these complaints about the death of BC (and by extension, Lauriver) is "... we deserve." As in "the BC & GA pairing we deserve," "the Green Arrow we deserve," "the Black Canary we deserve." That smacks so much of entitlement. Viewers don't really deserve anything other than a well-told story. They don't "deserve" specific plot lines, pairings, etc. And that's what critics of the big death or Arrow/Olicity in general can't seem to wrap their heads around.

I agree, but with a qualification.  Sometimes a show will deliberately tease a plotline or a pairing (e.g. Ichabod/Abbie, Tony/Ziva on NCIS) in order to get people to watch the show. In that case, I do think the audience deserves what the show promised.

But in-show, Arrow never promised that Laurel would end up with Oliver.  Whatever is in the comic books, all the clues on the TV show from the time of the scene at Tommy's grave indicated that Oliver and Laurel were over.

I'm amused at the writers' and SA's reactions on social media. It's like they knew the outrage was coming and were just waiting for it with their lines all prepared.  SA especially seems all "yeah, what evs".  Maybe even glad to get it out in the open and over with now instead of having to balance the competing fandoms.

While it seems that Guggenheim's "vocal minority" (I wonder how long he was waiting to say that because it really seems like he's flipping them the bird) is upset, in terms of this season's TV show, with The 100, TWD and now Sleepy Hollow, killing Laurel wasn't such a big deal in the big picture.

One of the phrases that I keep seeing in all these complaints about the death of BC (and by extension, Lauriver) is "... we deserve." As in "the BC & GA pairing we deserve," "the Green Arrow we deserve," "the Black Canary we deserve." That smacks so much of entitlement. Viewers don't really deserve anything other than a well-told story. They don't "deserve" specific plot lines, pairings, etc. And that's what critics of the big death or Arrow/Olicity in general can't seem to wrap their heads around.

I agree, but with a qualification.  Sometimes a show will deliberately tease a plotline or a pairing (e.g. Ichabod/Abbie, Tony/Ziva on NCIS) in order to get people to watch the show. In that case, I do think the audience deserves what the show promised.

But in-show, Arrow never promised that Laurel would end up with Oliver.  Whatever is in the comic books, all the clues on the TV show from the time of the scene at Tommy's grave indicated that Oliver and Laurel were over.

• Love 5

No more Laurel and no more Keto? Bwahahah!
I wonder if she chose to leave or Guggenheim offered to go to Legends. Also, Beth Schwartz seems to keep writing for both shows. Keto is leaving for good, instead?

Edited by looptab

No more Laurel and no more Keto? Bwahahah!

I wonder if she chose to leave or Guggenheim offered to go to Legends. Also, Beth Schwartz seems to keep writing for both shows. She is leaving for good, instead?

I think saw a post by @arrowwriters that said they were getting Beth Schwartz back, I assume full time.

• Love 1

Favorite Episodes Beth has written:

• Dodger
  • Keep Your Enemies Closer
  • Seeing Red
  • The Offer
  • Lost Souls

Worst episodes Beth has written:

• Time of Death
  • Draw Back Your Bow
  • Uprising
  • Al Sah-him

Favorite Episodes Keto has written:

• Blast Radius
  • Man Under the Hood
  • The Climb

Worst Episodes Keto has written:

• Sara
  • Guilty
  • Suicidal Tendencies (317 was the WORST)
  • Sins of the Father
  • Taken
  • Eleven Fifty Nine

I think we got the better end of the deal.

• Love 4

Yeah I'd tend to agree with that. Beth's only written a couple of episodes of LoT - Fail-Safe and Left Behind, and I thought those have been two of the better episodes of the season.

I think the good thing about Beth is that even though she's not the strongest writer, she has a better understanding of the characters (although 213,306 beg to differ). Whereas Keto just doesn't get the characters (except for Laurel, although her final words may prove otherwise). She completely butchered Felicity and Ray in 317, made Diggle really terrible in 418, Taken was a complete mess that put Felicity WAY under the bus... 

Edited by wonderwall
  • Love 5

I guess we'll see how she does on LoT. I just haven't been all that impressed with her stuff on Arrow, not even with Laurel, who was supposedly her favorite character. For example, Man Under the Hood is the one where Laurel sees Sara's scars, and ends the episode by going to give Oliver a hug. I mean, really?!?

• Love 11

Keto understood comic book Laurel, not the Laurel on the show that everyone else helped write. That's why in Keto episodes she tended to be a saint-- giving Sara relationship advice in 216, embracing BM in 415, giving Oliver and Felicity her blessing in 418. 302 was the one episode by her that I thought Laurel was the Laurel I usually saw.

Edited by lemotomato
  • Love 6

I don't know. I haaaaated 302. Really seriously hated. Nothing about Laurel's reactions in that episode rang true to me, starting with dragging her sister down to the lair and then sitting with her until someone walked in the next morning. I still rage about it when I think about it.

• Love 1

Keto understood comic book Laurel, not the Laurel on the show that everyone else helped write. That's why in Keto episodes she tended to be a saint-- giving Sara relationship advice in 217, embracing BM in 415, giving Oliver and Felicity her blessing in 418. 302 was the one episode by her that I thought Laurel was the Laurel I usually saw.

Wow, there's really a trend there. A very eyerolling one. I will give her Laurel's scene with Lance in 415, her best one over her entire run by miles. She should have been writing her more like this and not like some annoying martyr.

I need to go check the episode titles listed above. I'm pretty bad with them. I confused Uprising with Undertaking and was all, but that's the episode Walter is rescued and it excellent!

• Love 2

I don't know. I haaaaated 302. Really seriously hated. Nothing about Laurel's reactions in that episode rang true to me, starting with dragging her sister down to the lair and then sitting with her until someone walked in the next morning. I still rage about it when I think about it.

Why use a phone, when you can spend the night with your sister's corpse? Amirite?

Look who's going to be at this Writers Guild Foundation event this upcoming weekend...

WGFESTIVAL 2016: THE CRAFT, April 16, 2016 (Beverly Hills, CA)
https://www.wgfoundation.org/screenwriting-events/wgfestival-2016-craft/

4:15pm to 5:45pm – CREATING AND WRITING A UNIVERSE WITH GREG BERLANTI AND THE DC UNIVERSE SHOWRUNNERS

Featuring:
Ali Adler (SUPERGIRL, GLEE)
Greg Berlanti (FLASH, SUPERGIRL, ARROW, LEGENDS OF TOMORROW)
Marc Guggenheim (ARROW, LEGENDS OF TOMORROW)
Aaron Helbing (FLASH, SPARTACUS)
Todd Helbing (FLASH, SPARTACUS)
Phil Klemmer (LEGENDS OF TOMORROW, CHUCK)
Andrew Kreisberg (FLASH, SUPERGIRL, ARROW, LEGENDS OF TOMORROW)
Wendy Mericle (ARROW, ELI STONE)
moderated by Pam Veasey (CSI: CYBER, CSI: NEW YORK, THE DISTRICT)

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2