Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

I loved that he called them "dinks" it's such a Canandian thing. Hee. I think it's difficult for SA because he loves the fandom, but he's also kind of  thinks of himself (rightly) as an ambassador of the show and the DC universe on tv, and he needs to stick up for the cast. Plus actors are fragile ego baby's, so of course they hate "negativity" famous actors in particular are used to ALL LOVE ALL THE TIME, no one tells them when they suck. The net is like wading into a acid burning fire, because the net well tell two year old babies and puppies that they're ugly and they suck and they should die. John Oliver did a great bit on youtube comments earlier this summer explaining as much.

Wow. You know. I just really have a hard time with this idea that all actors have fragile egos or need constant positive reinforcement or that they are overly dramatic otherwise they wouldn't be acting.

I would argue that you'd have to be pretty thick skinned to take all the rejection that actors go through during auditions to land even a commercial when they start out. It's not often that actors become stars straight out of the gate.  And on top of that fame is a bizarre thing.

I've become a big fan of SPN  in the past year and I've watched a lot of the SPN con videos and how Ackles and Padalecki interact with their fans. It's fascinating.  Can you imagine how weird it must be to have people saying how much they love you even though they don't know you at all??  I mean I do it too! I think man, I "love" Jensen Ackles and Stephen Amell and Emily Bett Rickards when what I mean is I reallly reallly really like what I know of them based on their work, their talent, their personas, their whatever..and it comes out as "Man, I really love those guys" but it's not LOVE-LOVE. You know?

Like abstractly they know that millions-ish people watch their performances, but that's different than having 1000 people waiting to say hi or get your autograph and have them adore you even though they don't know you at all and then when you do or say something that any human being may be fall prey to doing or saying, whether they are right or wrong, you are excoriated by these same people that "loved" you  5 minutes ago. 

And I'm not writing this to be all "Oh those poor actors with fame and fortune" don't deserve criticism when it's warranted but gods, they are only human.  And maybe fans should just take a step back and think about days when you've done or said something stupid, or ill conceived or even if you absolutely meant what you said but you get shit for saying what you believe true and right.

As much as I used to think I wanted to be an actor when I was like 12...I don't think I could handle all weird shit that goes along with it.

I realize that was kind of rambling . Sorry.

TL;DR - "Are you not entertained?!!!" 

• Love 4

Hmm... I was very underwhelmed by the first poster and then was, quickly, overwhelmed with the intense responses/name-callings/deletions/anger a poster was able to incite. Now, with this second poster, I'm just whelmed (tm Dick Grayson).

Really, though, why would anyone want to live in Starling City, at this point? These posters make the city seem so doom and gloomy.

• Love 1

I feel like there was such little thought put into these posters that the characters that are supposed to save the city look like they're leaving Starling behind and never looking back. Why are you walking away, Oliver? Didn't we get over this thing where you run when things don't go your way a season ago?

Edited by dancingnancy
  • Love 3

Haha, seriously.

I like this one better, but damn Starling City. Can't you be left alone for five minutes without someone setting you on fire? Look at that mess!

This is why we can't have nice things...SMH lol

Edited by fantique
  • Love 2

“I would like to, for my selfish reasons. ‘Cause I like to….hit things. I really want Felicity to do mundane things, like take her shoes off and lie on her couch and eat a pizza.”

— 

Emily Bett Rickards on if she’d like to do more action on the show.

Lmao no wonder Emily punched Manu and hurt Caity Lotz :p Did she punch anyone else? I wouldn't be surprised if she did anymore lol

Edited by wonderwall

Lmao no wonder Emily punched Manu and hurt Caity Lotz :p Did she punch anyone else? I wouldn't be surprised if she did anymore lol

Answer behind spoiler bar

She accidentally punched the actor that's playing her boyfriend/ex-boyfriend in the MIT Flashback episode.

I think she's taken SA's 1 broken nose per season challenge and is trying to up the ante. :D

ETA: Where is that from?

Edited by Morrigan2575

ETA: Where is that from?

So I'm getting it from a person who is basically liveblogging an interview that's been made private on youtube :/ Hopefully they'll make it public later but if you want to see what Emily is saying here's the live blog: X

I kind of like the second poster. Bland but functional. The Brandon Routh of posters. But I wish I could have peeked in on a world where this was released first, and then beheld the reaction to the (more anticipated) second.

• Love 3

So I'm getting it from a person who is basically liveblogging an interview that's been made private on youtube :/ Hopefully they'll make it public later but if you want to see what Emily is saying here's the live blog: X

She also expressed similar sentiments in this interview.

Would you like to be more involved in the superhero side of things?

Yeah, I would like to train a little bit more, and I do like that stuff, but I just want to see Felicity sitting on her couch in her apartment. Making a cake or something – that’s what I want her to do. I like the boring shit like seeing her taking off her earrings. We always see Felicity done. She never has her shoes off and we never really see her walk anywhere. She’s always on a mission. When she’s walking she’s trying to be kidnapped – like we all do, am I right ladies?

• Love 2

. Why are you walking away, Oliver? 

I think it may tie in to the "You have failed this city"

Oliver is not necessarily walking away from looking away in shame, feeling he is not the one who failed the city.

as for the city always burning, i think it's a reflection of past years, and an omen what's to come?

I don't know, *shrugs*

The Phoenix con interview that was posted a few days ago, listening to it now, and comparing it to the Montreal con last weekend, I'm really struck by how very tired SA looks now.  Saving a TV show takes a toll.

I read that edited post someone here put up. I understand why he was reacting the way he did. It must be hard to have a friend/cast mate attacked on his page. That being said his response was tacky.

If the cast is aware of the dislike for Laurel, and I don't see how they can not be, it's very important for SA to show her his support unconditionally and publicly.  The set would be very difficult if he didn't. And he has taken on the job of Captain of the show.

I love his "hangry".  Because who of us hasn't been?

Wow. You know. I just really have a hard time with this idea that all actors have fragile egos or need constant positive reinforcement or that they are overly dramatic otherwise they wouldn't be acting.

At a DragonCon a few years ago, Mira Furlan (Lost, Babyon 5) was talking about  how actors are more susceptible to mental illness because they are always getting deeply into their emotions and turning them off and on, unlike the rest of us who can keep a more stable balance. She had an actor friend who ended up in a mental hospital.  

I imagine the rejections and the mean remarks over the internet make it even worse.

And with no one to compare to, there won't be any complaints of disproportionate bodies.

I do!  Those have got to be the thinnest hips on TV, thinner than Grant Gustin's.

Edited by statsgirl
At a DragonCon a few years ago, Mira Furlan (Lost, Babyon 5) was talking about  how actors are more susceptible to mental illness because they are always getting deeply into their emotions and turning them off and on, unlike the rest of us who can keep a more stable balance. She had an actor friend who ended up in a mental hospital.

That may be true for many actors but not all. Some know what to do to make sure those things don't bleed over into the rest of their lives. Not every actor is a method actor. But none of that necessarily translates into being more insecure or need constant validation to function  or that they cause drama just because which is what was being implied about Stephen Amell and why he flipped out on the assholes posting on his Facebook page.

Tact: The ability to tell someone to go to Hell in such a way they enjoy the trip. Not the webster definition, but my favorite one.

His sentiment was warranted; personal attacks on cast mates shouldn't be tolerated. He just could have expressed it better in that first post. As for attacking issues with the show i.e. the characters, if he didn't want opinions heard on his Facebook page he shouldn't promote the show on his personal page.

Edited by 10Eleven12
  • Love 4

My point is that just because he was aggravated or annoyed to the point that he said what he said does not in and of itself mean that he is an emotionally unstable person and that well he's an actor so he must be by nature. 

At this point, I'll just agree to disagree on this one :).

• Love 1

Mod Note:

From this point on, please post any analysis/dissection/speculation of promotional material, such as THE poster, in the Behind The Scenes Topic as that is the place to discuss why the EP's/Production team have made any show related decisions they've made.

We understand that it is a fine line; i.e. if a cast member addresses such topics on social media it is reasonable to discuss their post/tweet etc here, but beyond that, the discussion belongs in the Behind The Scenes thread. If, however, you simply want to refer to promotional material i.e. "wow, look new poster/trailer!" this naturally belongs in the News and Media topic.

No posts have been moved but any that contain only analysis or announcement of, promotional material from this point on will be.

Thank you

• Love 1

The actors have mentioned a couple of times  (interviews, cons, tweets) that each episode takes 8 days to film and that sometimes they shoot through the weekend.  However that doesn't mean the actors are actually working for 8 straight days.  SA probably has the most filming days per episode; I think he said in S2 he generally filmed 7 out of 9 days and he tweeted out something recently about being happy only have 4 filming days for 305.  However that doesn't mean 7 days straight or 7 full days.  There might be some days where it's 16 hours and some days where it's 4. 

On the other hand they get like 4-5 weeks off between Dec-Jan and they're off from Mid-April to Mid-July, plus they get government holidays.  It's a trade off.

From what I 've heard from lead actors in other hour long dramas,   the norm is to have those 7 of 9 days of shooting be very full days.  With 10-16 hours being far more normal than the 4 hour days.  

SA is in almost every scene of the show then throw in on top of that his cardio, weights, and parkour training, that's got to  be exhausting before he every schedules what seem to have been constant con trips almost all summer long.  I think he took a brief break before Comicon but since then it seems like he's been go, go, go. 

I agree that he not only in looking tired, but sounding it too. 

Speaking of hangry, you are always more hungry and angry when you are tired. 

I missed the beginning of John Barrowman's panel yesterday because the photo op with Brandon Routh was delayed. (Barrowman's was actually delayed too, and because his booth was right by the photo op place he talked to the crowed while we waited). Brandon Routh touched a bit on Arrow, and said that as far as he knows Ray will be a good guy, and he's looking forward to being a part of the "superhero team" and helping out the Arrow. He as also seen concept work for the Atom costume... He talked about how he will be wearing a lot of suits, and he confirmed that so far he's is supposed to be doing 16 episodes this season. 

I was planning on asking about his characters coming in between ships (Chuck/Sara and Oliver/Felicity) but I was with my sister who has yet to see the finale, so I didn't want to spoil anything for her. Brandon Routh is a nice and actually quite humble, and his panel has made me more excited for his character on Arrow. 

Barrowman was wonderful, even if I missed the Arrow stuff. They announced that for anyone who missed their chance to have their photo taken with him, if they came to his booth he would take a selfie with them for $10.00. My sister and I were across the convention area otherwise we probably would have. But by the time we would have gotten over there and taken money out the line would have been huge. 

• Love 4

From the spoiler thread

The producers seem really determined to keep the BC element of the story and with the fan response to CL's BC I just think they are looking for anyway to keep both of them in that role or in any role and that's the only one I could come up that would make any kind of sense

for building more background for Sara.

It still floors me how badly they mishandled this one aspect of the story.

I think they had a fair idea how KC was disliked after the first season, that is why they brought CL on to minimize the fall out of that bad casting. What I fail to understand is their determination of making KC the Black Canary. The story does not want to go there and they are forcing it on.

I think they knew that Laurel was disliked in s1 but s2 when Sara came on and Laurel had the (non-)addiction arc it got worse, and I don't think AK and MG either anticipated it or know why even now.  They may have thought that with a year of Sara, Laurel will be ready to assume the BC mantel in s3, or at least prepare for it.

I wish I knew what they were thinking.  Was the addiction arc their idea of preparing Laurel to be the BC, or just giving her something to do since she was out of the A plot so often?

• Love 1

tumblr_ncdv7809yc1tby8nco1_500.jpg

tumblr_ncds61gjCC1tq25d4o1_500.jpg

I will never not laugh at the way Stephen has trouble distinguishing between himself and Oliver. It's actually one of my favorite things about him. 

Edited by KenyaJ
  • Love 8

...I need EBR to go to this as well. It's been a while since DR SA and EBR have gone to a con together (not including SDCC because it would be stupid if they didn't go there). 

'Need' may be a strong word... But I really need her to go. For science, of course. 

Also, Suzanne Gomez just tweeted this... What I would give to have her job. :/

tumblr_ncj577qF3W1smamr9o2_500.jpg

Edited by wonderwall

My friend is going, she wants me to make the trip over. If EBR signed up I'd buy ticket immediately because that's a great line-up. ..plus I never pass up on a trip to the UK.

Do ittt! Just get a ticket, go regardless of whether EBR goes or not because DR, SA, and CL are treasures :') ALSO, it's the UK. You can do plenty of awesome stuff while you're there!

• Love 1