Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

This tweet makes me wonder about the conversations going on now between Mercile and Guggenheim.  MG has to do press addressing the "surprising" backlash and pretty much universal scorn for regressing Oliver back to lying and keeping secret over trumped up drama  in his episode that ends in Olicity cuddles but WM does an episode with Oliver and Felicity hashing out opposing viewpoints over if marriage should be on the table and her episode ends by nearly killing Felicity  and she is "Overwhelmed" with praise. 

Is MG the kind of show runner that wants the best for his show?  After all, any praise for the show goes to his credit as well.  We've already seen a better balance this season since WM was promoted.  Would MG be smart enough to defer to her on tricky emotional plot stuff?  MG knew enough to attempt to handle Oliver's 2nd response to Felicity carefully.  (Personally I think he failed big time but I guess YMMV)  That at least says he is aware enough to know when perhaps he should get a second opinion. 

Given human nature, it makes me worried for VM's vision that he got criticism and she's getting such praise. As far as GB, AK and MG are concerned, last season was a good year.

I hope MG can rise above any jealousy or pettiness.

• Love 1

How does Berlanti usually behave on social media wrt promotion? I don't follow him, but I checked after the MSFs aired and there were like, ten tweets about The Flash and Supergirl each, and a couple for Arrow. :/ Was it just this once or is it always like this?

Don't disappoint me, Greg! Be more balanced! :)

Are we sure that is how they count screen time? Though of course in the end, they are so close to each other that it doesn't matter that much to me.

You can do the same that i did to see who was more accurate and why the difference, i counted the times myself a few times until i spotted where the difference was and why. Trial and error

How does Berlanti usually behave on social media wrt promotion? I don't follow him, but I checked after the MSFs aired and there were like, ten tweets about The Flash and Supergirl each, and a couple for Arrow. :/ Was it just this once or is it always like this?

Don't disappoint me, Greg! Be more balanced! :)

Super rudimentary stats on how many times these words have shown up on his Twitter from July 27 [that's how far I scrolled before I got bored] to today:

Legends: 38

Arrow: 157

Blindspot: 252

Flash: 269

Supergirl: 274

• Love 2

Super rudimentary stats on how many times these words have shown up on his Twitter from July 27 [that's how far I scrolled before I got bored] to today:

Legends: 38

Arrow: 157

Blindspot: 252

Flash: 269

Supergirl: 274

Thank you:) Wow, this list makes me kinda sad :/ 

• Love 1

Part of me is kind of resigned to it, in a way. Arrow is on s4, that's not a prime time to try to get new people to watch it (although with Netflix completely changing the game, I am massively disappointed in WB/DC for planning to take out all of its shows), so I get trying to focus the spotlight on new shows to get new audiences, like with the Flash (although with Flash, it's more like trying to ride the initial wave of success), Supergirl, and Blindspot. However, I do wonder where Arrow is on his priority list, and I wonder where Arrow falls in terms of promotion. I wouldn't think Arrow would be too difficult to promote. With now 4 masked heroes and a leading network romance, Arrow has an easier and more diverse ability to promote than even Flash (which just basically has Barry and superpowers), but I am not in charge of how GB/WB/CW/DC decides to promote Arrow.

I would like a bit of respect for the show that started the legacy though. Truth be told, Marvel's shows and the Flash might have been successful without Arrow, but the industry never likes to do anything without a little support or precedent, so Arrow definitely had something to do with it.

• Love 4

In defense of Berlanti, Supergirl is the shiny new show that is on a big network and getting a lot of retweetable press coverage, and I notice that his Flash tweets mostly consist of retweets from the Flash actors.  The Flash main cast leave the Arrow actors in the dust in their twitter promotion of the show as even the ones that actively tweet--Amell, Rickards, Cassidy--don't tend to tweet about the show. Echo K, Charlotte Ross, and Alexander Calvert seem to be giving it a shot, but they are not main cast.

Did the WB/DC definitely decide to pull the shows from Netflix?  I know they were talking about it, but if so, soooo stupid.

• Love 1

I would like a bit of respect for the show that started the legacy though.

You're right, they should show some respect. I wouldn't count on it, though. Arrow was supposed to be a realist version of comics. The superpowers/mask addicts will never have any respect for it. And very honestly, considering how they altered the DNA of the show to force superpowers and magic on it, I wonder if the EPs even have respect for their own creation...and for the core audience that allowed it to survive its first year of existence.

• Love 3

I actually don't mind his more real people moments. I might be the minority but I don't care when he tells someone not to be a dick or what have you. I think it makes him an actual person who doesn't have time for people being rude. He's allowed to self promote or post whatever pics he wants.

• Love 7

I think the Twitter peeps' issue with him is quite valid considering that he takes every opportunity to shit all over them by calling them "awful" every chance he gets, then expects them to vote for him in campaigns. That's a bit disrespectful especially since a lot of them organize trending campaigns and support polls with the specific purpose to promote what they love about the show. He never acknowledges that (which is fine--he's not obligated to do so) but I can definitely see why they'd tell him to pound sand.

Edited by NumberCruncher
  • Love 6

From what I've seen this is just a run of the mill Twitter experience for SA. It seems rather harmless so far...

But from an ARROW perspective, it would be nice if the cast took to Twitter more during the episode. If Twitter numbers & trending is going to be part of the equation that helps to increase ratings or advertising than it would benefit them to tweet during the episode... Even if it just stock tweets. I remember Kerry Washington talking about being stressed when she was near her delivery date that she would go into labor on a Thurs and not be able to live tweet the episode, that she had a whole bunch of Tweets ready, just in case. It was a funny story. She wound up not having to use those tweets.

I know the actors are busy, I don't expect them to be forced to tweet. But it definitely is nice when the cast engages with the audience during a live tweet of the episode. The cast of Scandal is really good at it, as are some other shows. The ARROW cast could rotate off episodes, just like the other shows do.

Edited by kismet
  • Love 1

When you got the two Outlander actors acknowledging their fan's efforts on Twitter it does get a little annoying when only a select few acknowledge us on Twitter. I know such a silly thing to obsess over lol.

I was about to go to sleep after my tweet to him and then he replied to me. I know he's acknowledged before about Arrow Facebook but it looks like he might actually do something about it this time. We will see.

8b7184452682626.jpg

• Love 1

I know the actors are busy, I don't expect them to be forced to tweet. But it definitely is nice when the cast engages with the audience during a live tweet of the episode. The cast of Scandal is really good at it, as are some other shows. The ARROW cast could rotate off episodes, just like the other shows do.

Oh I don't expect them to either. In fact, I don't believe they should have to engage on social media at all if they so choose, but as you say, it's nice if they do. Like I said, from what I've gathered reading the various Twitter convos, it's not that he doesn't engage them or praise their efforts, but rather that he openly expresses disdain for them and only feels like they're worth communicating with in order to help him win something he wants. Personally, I don't have a dog in the fight since I'm not a Twitterer, but it does come off to me as rather douchey behavior.

Edited by NumberCruncher
  • Love 2

(although with Netflix completely changing the game, I am massively disappointed in WB/DC for planning to take out all of its shows

WAIT!WAT??? Seriously? What the fuck? What are they thinking? Poor Supernatural! Netflix gave that show a new life. I do not understand.

There was an article that came out not too long ago talking about WB/CW possibly taking their shows off Netflix. To my knowledge, however, that was the only time I've seen it mentioned so I hope it was just rumor because it they do that and continue jacking up prices on their DVDs, they won't have much else left to earn outside of their meager ad revenues.

• Love 1

Oh I don't expect them to either. In fact, I don't believe they should have to engage on social media at all if they so choose, but as you say, it's nice if they do. Like I said, from what I've gathered reading the various Twitter convos, it's not that he doesn't engage them or praise their efforts, but rather that he openly expresses disdain for them and only feels like they're worth communicating with in order to help him win something he wants. Personally, I don't have a dog in the fight since I'm not a Twitterer, but it does come off to me as rather douchey behavior.

He does seem to talk down to Twitter in general...  But I honestly could care less so long as he (and anyone) keeps away from the racist, sexist and offensive tweets.

I was talking about the Cast in general engaging during the show's airtime... Outside of that showtime hour, however they want to promote or not promote themselves or the show is up to them,

ETA - Apparently, he is having a change of heart with Twitter... Who knew... It could be a whole new world for him and more entertainment for us :)

Edited by kismet

What really gets me is the poor guy can't post a picture with his co-stars without people getting rude and obnoxious in the comments. I mean everything from panicking because Emily isn't in the picture (folks have to really know those 2 are not up under each other the whole time their on set, and even less if they're not shooting a scene together) , to posting pics of the Black Canary, to trying to call out other folks because they ship different things, to fools still being delusional talking about seeing more Oliver and Laurel romance in the future (that comment made me wonder what universe and show this person has been watching this season but whatever). It would be nice if the man could post his picture(s) and folks  post a comment pertaining to just that or say nothing at all if it doesn't pertain to the picture or subject Stephen posted. I say this with a different viewpoint though if it seems to me (IMO) Stephen posted a particular picture(s) because he is trying to get a rise out of some fans again if that's the way I interpret what he posted. This picture wasn't about Malcolm and Laurel this picture was about Stephen taking a picture with his co-stars John and Katie I'm not sure why people have to blow it out of proportion and resort to just being silly, rude and childish. Sad part is I'm mostly sure the majority of the comments aren't coming from teenagers.

Edited by Ann Mack
  • Love 8

There was an article that came out not too long ago talking about WB/CW possibly taking their shows off Netflix. To my knowledge, however, that was the only time I've seen it mentioned so I hope it was just rumor because it they do that and continue jacking up prices on their DVDs, they won't have much else left to earn outside of their meager ad revenues.

As I understood the article the WB wasn't talking about taking their shows off of Netflix, they were talking about delaying the release of new seasons to Netflix.  

http://www.theverge.com/2015/11/5/9677656/time-warner-dc-comics-cable-television-supergirl-arrow

Time Warner, the owner of the DC Comics universe, is mulling making it a lot harder to cut the cord. The New York Times reports that, during a conference call this week, Time Warner chief executive Jeff Bewkes said that the company is weighing whether or not it should delay releasing popular DC shows to Netflix for years to come. The move would privilege those who prefer watching old-fashioned OTA television and, specifically, cable subscribers, who'd have no other choice but to keep their cable boxes to watch upcoming seasons on-demand.

• Love 1

I have to admit this is a cute photo... I wonder where they are? They seem like they're in a bunker but they're in normal clothes... hmmm

CWPqKTAUsAAP-wP.jpg

They normally shoot flashbacks on Monday, but that wouldn't be in the bunker and they aren't in flashback attire.

Maybe 

then it's confirmation that 414 is the flashback episode? They'll probably shoot all present day scenes first, and then move on to the fb ones.

That's a good theory. 

If so, it's interesting that CR is filming for this episode. According to someone on twitter EBR was at an event last night, so her and CR may have filmed early on in the day or (possibly/wishful thinking) their may be Smoak flashbacks.

I know Oliver's wardrobe has gotten a lot of flack this year, but who actually managed to find a coat that makes Katie Cassidy look boxy? How does that happen?

As for the shooting schedule, SA posted a Q&A video (very low on Q&a) yesterday saying that they were in the middle of shooting episode 13.

• Love 1

As I understood the article the WB wasn't talking about taking their shows off of Netflix, they were talking about delaying the release of new seasons to Netflix.  

http://www.theverge.com/2015/11/5/9677656/time-warner-dc-comics-cable-television-supergirl-arrow

For what it's worth, Time Warner, which owns WB, has reported that HBO is one of its most profitable divisions. HBO GO, of course, is interested in streaming some of the same content that Netflix does.  Meanwhile, their partnership with Amazon Prime (where Amazon Prime subscribers can stream HBO programming years after the original broadcast) also seems to be doing well, while still allowing Time Warner to sell individual episodes or seasons of original HBO material through regular Amazon, iTunes, Google Play and Vudu.  

Time Warner, unlike ABC, FOX and NBC, doesn't have a stake in Hulu. 

Without seeing the actual numbers, I can't tell, of course, but it might make some financial sense for Time Warner as a whole to try to duplicate their financial success with HBO (subscriber only or pay-per-episode for the first five years) with the other content that they produce.

Without seeing the actual numbers, I can't tell, of course, but it might make some financial sense for Time Warner as a whole to try to duplicate their financial success with HBO (subscriber only or pay-per-episode for the first five years) with the other content that they produce.

Yeah, that may be, but I have a strong suspicion that the HBO and CW audiences aren't really aren't all that similar. While the Arrow audience specifically may more closely align with the typical HBO subscriber since it skews older and more male, I think most CW shows in general pull a lot younger audience than you would see on a premium cable network like HBO. The question is whether that younger demo would be willing to pay for a streaming service or if it would only lead to a spike in illegal downloads.

Good morning! 

Remember that this is not a place to discuss fans, those fans who disagree with your opinion, fans who are exceedingly supportive of a character (or actor/actress) you do not appreciate, fans who are not exceedingly supportive of a character (or actor/actress) you do appreciate, fansites that are good, bad or indifferent. We just delete the posts that do discuss those things.  

• Love 2

Didn't the variety article that just came out point to Netflix for actually attributing to a lot of the Flarrow success though? It seems like a very short sighted notion.

I remember Arrow constantly being on Netflix most popular shows list, not to mention it's on "most-pirates shows" list as well. The thing is, this choice actually isn't a short-sighted decision. It's a short-sighted notion valuing long-term benefits. Short-term in the case of they are not recognizing the current contribution that Netflix makes to building returning audiences who in turn could possibly watch the show live or through legal means. Long-term in the case of recognizing that the audiences they have now are not going to grow or significantly shrink, meaning that they can take more control over how these audiences view the show and the DVD sales, leading to more profits down the line. In addition, if they make a deal to eventually put the new seasons on Neftlix in five years, they can still manage a deal with Netflix that can optimize their sales for the next few years as well once they get onto Netflix (Should I watch the whole series of Arrow on Netflix or should I get the super-special DVD box set of the entire series that gives me 40+ hours of special features that's on sale at the same time? Well, I can do both! And keep a consistent flow to WB/DC's pocket!).

Major problems for me is that 1) this fails to recognize the growing change in how audiences view programming. 2) This is actually a semi-smart profit-driven strategy but it (like the DCEU) fails to acknowledge possible changes in the market. 3) It fails to acknowledge the continuing problem of pirating 4) it again screws over Arrow in the marketing department, considering it can't get any rejuvenation in views that it usually gets when the show drops onto Netflix 

• Love 4

Yeah, that may be, but I have a strong suspicion that the HBO and CW audiences aren't really aren't all that similar. While the Arrow audience specifically may more closely align with the typical HBO subscriber since it skews older and more male, I think most CW shows in general pull a lot younger audience than you would see on a premium cable network like HBO. The question is whether that younger demo would be willing to pay for a streaming service or if it would only lead to a spike in illegal downloads.

Oh, I'd agree.

Regarding piracy, though - quite a few studies have shown that illegal downloading significantly decreases when viewers have legal viewing options. And this isn't just young viewers without money, but international viewers, where thanks to a system designed to meet the needs of 20th century book publishers, some material just isn't legally available in certain countries. It's not really a surprise to find out that those countries also tend to be major piracy spots. 

So, from my perspective, anyway, the best way to reduce (not eliminate, since I think some people are going to pirate anyway even if legal sources are available), is to increase the number of ways people, both in the U.S. and internationally, can access entertainment - using the broader word since this problem applies to music, ebooks, television and film.

• Love 10

Man did Marc make a huge mistake with the whole "we chose our words carefully so Oliver didn't lie to Felicity", that's not verbatim. Sorry dude but most are seeing it as Oliver lied to Felicity and its affecting the beautifully mature and adult relationship the show had displayed in episodes 1-7. Even MTV had a problem with the "non-lie, lie"!

http://www.mtv.com/news/2686514/best-tv-couples-2015/?utm=share_twitter

…Alright, so maybe it was only a so-so year for love on television, but we’re still going to celebrate the most swoon-worthy couples on TV this year, by ranking them based on how healthy and hashtag-goals their relationships were in 2015. (In other words, sorry, Olicity — we love you, but the whole “Oliver lying about having a son” thing knocked you down a few spots on the list.)

Whoa. What's Laura Hoffman doing there? Is she a sleeper agent who was keeping track on Oliver and Felicity in Ivy Town? Now I'm really suspicious of that slow cooker. Maybe it's rigged and will blow the entire building up. If she ruins Oliver's love of cooking, the first non-destructive hobby he's had, I swear.

• Love 10