Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

(edited)

I think I like S.Amell's answer. It isn't a personal attack, nor insulting, nor disproportionate. I could even see it as a deadpan comment: "Hey, I'm here!". It's a good reminder imo that posting on a board/social network isn't the same as talking in your private circle.

Everybody has the right to express their opinion and criticize openly (I do use this right, a lot) but I have no patience at all for passive-aggressiveness (= not tagging, but including the username, imo). So his answer made me chuckle, although I agree 100% that it's better not to engage trolls or naysayers -and if I were a celebrity, I'd avoid social media like the plague.

Edited by Happy Harpy
  • Love 8

To be fair though. That girl is lying when she said she liked Stephan. She's the same girl I got in to it wit on tumblr because she's a huge Laurel fan. She hates Oliver and Stephen and fast forwards all his scenes because he's a terrible actor.

Stephen might have been a bit unprofessional but I'd probably do the same thing.

And it's not the 1st time she tags SA stating opinions about his work (not the positive criticism type) or just plain hate tweets.If you think he was rude, go check her acct, not even 2 tweets later she's calling him "salty MF"

He normally doesn't respond to that type of tweets, but in this case i don't think it was that bad, i have seen worse from him on FB

I wouldn't be surprised at all if SA knows about her hate tweets and tumblr posts, i'm pretty sure he has an Arrow fan acct, only way to explain how he knows certain things, like how he knew about "Andy"

It's not that I think what he wrote is bad, it's just never going to get him anywhere. People are going to hate on him for as long as he's getting work (and probably after, for the work he did get), and it's just not worth bringing any attention to - he ends up looking worse in these situations. Especially since that person now knows that they can get him to respond, so they're going to keep trying. As are other people who want to get a rise out of him.

I like to live by the immortal words of Ice T: Have a great day, and make your haters sick. 

(no Twitter replies necessary)

• Love 7

He also responded to Jenny Raftery's tweet even though she didn't mention him and he wasn't following her account (not until after their twitter exchange, anyway). So I think he definitely lurks or has people telling him to check out stuff.

• Love 2

He's getting paid (presumably) a shit ton of money to play a biggish role in what will probably be a big movie.  I mean, I ain't gonna watch it, but it seems like a pretty big break for him.  Why respond to or even care about aholes who just assume he won't do well in the role?  He should think about finding his chill, especially now that he's in his 30s.  (I think he's turned into quite a good actor and will likely do an excellent job in the role.)

• Love 2

He also responded to Jenny Raftery's tweet even though she didn't mention him and he wasn't following her account (not until after their twitter exchange, anyway). So I think he definitely lurks or has people telling him to check out stuff.

Honestly i think it's him, he also checks Stephen Amell and SA tag

• Love 1

Keto Shimizu was one of the two writers on last week's episode, "Guilty".  I made it through about ten minutes before I gave up on the episode.  I'm gradually learning which Arrow writers I enjoy and which I don't.

Ugh. I wonder if Keto Shimizu was responsible for that horrible line ("Mine's bigger") when Oliver confronts Ted Grant and comments on the size of his. . . Um, lair.

• Love 1

I liked his answer, don't think there's anything wrong with it. He wasn't rude, just truthful. It didn't work, unfortunately, but just because he's getting paid a shit ton of money is no reason for him to take nonsense like that lying down, IMO. And if he gave her a thrill responding to her twittiness, I guess he did some good there too. 

I guess I have a different perspective because I don't think he did anything wrong in calling out the person who tagged him in that rude tweet. It was well-deserved. I don't think it matters how famous or well paid he is, at the end of the day he's only human and no matter how much media training someone might have it would still suck to see people say shitty things about you all the time. I'm sure he manages to ignore most of the hate, but no one is perfect.

• Love 4

What was there to take lying down? All that person wrote was that she thought someone else would be better in the role. It'd be one thing if he responded to someone who expressed their opinion that he was a shitty actor or couldn't pull it off or whatever (which would've still been stupid IMO). There isn't anything wrong with him responding, it just is and always will be a pointless waste of time to respond to people who are trying to get a response out of him. He's playing right into those people's hands, and they're not ever going to go away, so he should get in the habit of ignoring it.

I wonder how he's going to deal with people hating on his Casey Jones after the movie comes out? Because it will happen. Is he going to retweet negative reviews with a nasty comment? Ahahaha, I can't wait. 

• Love 1

Sorry but that was a dick comment and unnecessary more on him then the fan even if he/she was wrong in tagging SA.

Sorry he gets no brownie points for the kid in the wheelchair for obvious reasons.

Now that it's been pointed out that the original tweet was by a troll, SA's reply doesn't bother me as much. He usually manages his social media accounts with a healthy sense of humor so I'm going to try not to hold it against him when he responds emotionally or immaturely---or in the case of over-sexualized velociraptors, just plain WTF-edly!---from time to time.

As for brownie points, I'm not sure what to infer from your "kid in the wheelchair" comment. If it's that he's only being nice to him because he has cerebral palsy, there are thousands of able-bodied fans who tweet and post daily about what a great guy he is, hundreds of them from personal experience. Case in point: the group of fans who were waiting outside his TMNT trailer last week and he decided to take them out for a beer. Who does that?!

I also like that SA reached out to this Blue Jays fan privately instead of tweeting him publicly.

• Love 1

As for brownie points, I'm not sure what to infer from your "kid in the wheelchair" comment. If it's that he's only being nice to him because he has cerebral palsy, there are thousands of able-bodied fans who tweet and post daily about what a great guy he is, hundreds of them from personal experience. Case in point: the group of fans who were waiting outside his TMNT trailer last week and he decided to take them out for a beer. Who does that?!

Yeah, it'd be different if he used the guy for some kind of publicity, but it seems like SA reached out to him privately, and the guy is the one who brought it up, so...unless Morrigan2575 meant something else by that. 

I liked his answer, don't think there's anything wrong with it. He wasn't rude, just truthful. It didn't work, unfortunately, but just because he's getting paid a shit ton of money is no reason for him to take nonsense like that lying down, IMO. And if he gave her a thrill responding to her twittiness, I guess he did some good there too. 

How is "Tough shit" not rude?  And it's not "truthful" because it's not a statement of fact, it's a brushoff with a vulgarity.  

• Love 1

"Tough shit" isn't rude to me because honestly that is what it is. He got the part months ago, filming is either done or almost done. Stephen is Casey Jones whether people like it or not... it's completely accurate.

I have no problem with him getting the part, as you can see from my posts above.  But if you walked into a Starbucks and asked for a latte and the cashier told you "tough shit," you would think it was rude.  It's not a big deal, but to say it's not rude is pretty disingenuous.

I guess it all depends on where you grew up and what you've been exposed to and whatnot. Imo "Tough shit" isn't really that rude because I've been exposed to way worse. It's the reality of the situation and IMO that tweet would've made sense right when he got cast, but not when filming is winding down. That's just stupid. SA didn't need to respond to it because there's nothing gained in responding. But I got a good laugh out of it so...

I have no problem with him getting the part, as you can see from my posts above.  But if you walked into a Starbucks and asked for a latte and the cashier told you "tough shit," you would think it was rude.  It's not a big deal, but to say it's not rude is pretty disingenuous.

Well that's not really the situation here. The original tweeter sort of insulted SA first. The cashier saying 'tough shit' out of nowhere would be rude, but if you were rude to the cashier first, then yeah I can see why the cashier would be justified in their reaction. 

• Love 2

Well that's not really the situation here. The original tweeter sort of insulted SA first. The cashier saying 'tough shit' out of nowhere would be rude, but if you were rude to the cashier first, then yeah I can see why the cashier would be justified in their reaction. 

The funny thing is that the tweet wasn't really all that insulting. She didn't say SA would make a shitty Casey Jones or that he shouldn't have been cast or that he couldn't act (maybe she's said it before, but she didn't say it in that tweet), just that in her mind someone else would've been perfect. It's like, of all the things to respond to, he chose that? What a waste, haha.

• Love 4
(edited)

Sure, it's not all that rude, but it is rude.  I'm guessing most of us would not say it to our mothers.  Again, it's no big deal, but it was rude, even if deservedly rude.

In the end I guess it depends on if you were okay with what he said or not. I'm fine with what he said. IMO He's said much worse things in the past. And I really hope that shut that original tweeter up because you don't tag things like that. That's just the worst.

Edited by wonderwall
(edited)

The original tweet wasn't rude.  It was expressing an unnecessary opinion.  No swear words were used.  He overreacted and effectively swore at the person in response.  

I'm fine with what he said too.  Overall I don't care what celebrities say on social media.  I follow Ricky Gervais on FB, and he wishes death and dismemberment on big game hunters.  But SA's response was rude.  That doesn't seem at all controversial to me.  That doesn't mean I care, but I can recognize something as being rude without being remotely offended by it. 

Edited by AyChihuahua
  • Love 1
(edited)

The funny thing is that the tweet wasn't really all that insulting. She didn't say SA would make a shitty Casey Jones or that he shouldn't have been cast or that he couldn't act (maybe she's said it before, but she didn't say it in that tweet), just that in her mind someone else would've been perfect. It's like, of all the things to respond to, he chose that? What a waste, haha.

I think tagging it made it sort of hateful for me because if I were in SAs position that would make me feel bad??? Then again I'm more sensitive, I suppose. It would be like someone texting me saying I didn't deserve a raise or promotion at work. I guess the undertones of that tweet was insulting. 

Sure, it's not all that rude, but it is rude.  I'm guessing most of us would not say it to our mothers.  Again, it's no big deal, but it was rude, even if deservedly rude.

I see where you're coming at. IMO there are much worse things he could've said. 

Edited by wonderwall

I think tagging it made it sort of hateful for me because if I were in SAs position that would make me feel bad??? Then again I'm more sensitive, I suppose. It would be like someone texting me saying I didn't deserve a raise or promotion at work. I guess the undertones of that tweet was insulting. 

Oh no, I get that it would be a difficult thing to read. It's just that people aren't going to ever stop tweeting nasty things at him, and it will get worse when the movie comes out. He just has to ignore those people and not respond, because responding just makes it worse, because they know he sees it and it gets to him. 

• Love 5

Oh no, I get that it would be a difficult thing to read. It's just that people aren't going to ever stop tweeting nasty things at him, and it will get worse when the movie comes out. He just has to ignore those people and not respond, because responding just makes it worse, because they know he sees it and it gets to him. 

Very good point. I wonder who his PR person is... They really need to train him on how to deal with hate on social media and train him on what not to say regarding some things (that velociraptor comment) as he becomes more popular and well known in the industry. 

• Love 1

I mostly hope he finds his chill for his own sake.  He seems to manage his social media accounts himself, and if he doesn't develop a much thicker skin he's going to have some very unhappy moments in the future.  Especially, as apinknightmare said, when the movie comes out.  No matter how great he is in it (and I am sure he will be great, as he's become a very good actor), he's going to get crapped on by somebody.  I mean, go on imdb.com sometime...the hate there directed at actors, writers, directors, and other posters will make you weep for humanity.  He's old enough and successful enough to stop giving a crap about stuff like that, and just realize he's a superhot dude with a happy family and a very successful career in an incredibly competitive occupation. 

• Love 1

Very good point. I wonder who his PR person is... They really need to train him on how to deal with hate on social media and train him on what not to say regarding some things (that velociraptor comment) as he becomes more popular and well known in the industry. 

I mean, I do enjoy that he is uncensored and that his social media is run by him. I really would't want that to change, even though he does occasionally say the problematic/sexist thing. Someone on his team has to have told him to ignore Twitter/FB hate, he just needs to listen to them. 

I'm of two minds. Yes, it never works to engage with trolls. Ever. But I'd hate for authentic SA, idiotic comments and Twitter rage quitter to change into a PR machine. I've seen other celebs change after PR works their magic, and they're never as fun because they're not really being themselves. 

However, I also understand how this industry works and that image is king. So I suppose if this is as bad as it gets, I'll take it. I enjoy his dumbass human moments because I'm guilty of them, too.

• Love 10

Even though many here have mentioned the person making the tweet in question has been nasty in the past, taken at face value, the original tweet wasn't "hate".  That person said they liked SA, but so-in-so would have been the perfect Casey Jones.  That's not hate. It's one person's opinion. Granted, they should have just typed his name instead of tagging him, but if he keeps track of and reads tweets about himself, not just those tagged, he would have seen it anyway.  If you're in that business, you have to have a thick skin (which he presumably does most of the time), but his petulant response likely would have been more applicable to actual nasty tweets instead of that person's opinion about who they'd like to see in the role. I don't know when it happened, but the idea that we should all expect to make it through the day without being offended by something or someone has become an epidemic.

• Love 1

Now that it's been pointed out that the original tweet was by a troll, SA's reply doesn't bother me as much. He usually manages his social media accounts with a healthy sense of humor so I'm going to try not to hold it against him when he responds emotionally or immaturely---or in the case of over-sexualized velociraptors, just plain WTF-edly!---from time to time.

I also like that SA reached out to this Blue Jays fan privately instead of tweeting him publicly.

My point was that one action doesn't excuse the other. Whenever he acts like a dick/douche/diva fans are quick to excuse it by saying he's so nice look what he did for this fan(s).

Can he be nice to fans? Yes. Does that mean he's never a dick/douche/diva? No. They are not mutually exclusive.

• Love 8

Sorry, but if someone told me, "Hey, I like you but so-and-so over there would totally be better at your job than you are" I'd find it pretty offensive and hurtful. Especially if I'd been working really hard at said job and no one had actually seen any of my work yet to accurately be forming opinions about my performance.

Given that SA is not constantly replying to negative tweets I'm going to infer that he probably does ignore the majority of hate he gets. Of course the logical response is to not engage these trolls in any capacity, but that's easier said than done when you're a living, breathing person with feelings. I'm not surprised he cracks every once in awhile, I kind of like that about him actually.

• Love 10

Sorry, but if someone told me, "Hey, I like you but so-and-so over there would totally be better at your job than you are" I'd find it pretty offensive and hurtful. Especially if I'd been working really hard at said job and no one had actually seen any of my work yet to accurately be forming opinions about my performance.

Basically how I felt about the original post. You just said it better :) You don't tag actors in posts like that. Yeah you can say ignore the hate, but it's easier said than done. Sometimes people slip up. It would be IDEAL for SA not to say anything, but we're not all perfect. I've definitely gotten pissed off at people for hating on me. It's just not a nice experience and I think a lot of actors (including SA) do really well by ignoring it.

• Love 4

That isn't ever going to stop though. Not ever. Especially if he keeps getting roles based on cartoons/comics where people go in with certain expectations. Personally, I think it's counterproductive to engage people like that, but I don't blame him for being hurt by it. Especially since he seems to want to be a star so badly, and this is his big movie break. I mean, if he's going to slip, I'd rather him spend all day responding to nasty tweets rather than slut shaming people's daughters on Facebook in the same post where he complains about how difficult it is to have a daughter, haha. It's just that for his own well being, he needs to learn to let it go. 

• Love 6

That isn't ever going to stop though. Not ever. Especially if he keeps getting roles based on cartoons/comics where people go in with certain expectations. Personally, I think it's counterproductive to engage people like that, but I don't blame him for being hurt by it. Especially since he seems to want to be a star so badly, and this is his big movie break. I mean, if he's going to slip, I'd rather him spend all day responding to nasty tweets rather than slut shaming people's daughters on Facebook in the same post where he complains about how difficult it is to have a daughter, haha. It's just that for his own well being, he needs to learn to let it go.

I don't disagree that he should ignore it and, as I said, I think the majority of the time he probably does ignore it. I'm just not going to judge him for slipping up (or giving in) in this case. He's only human.

On a more petty note: I do find it supremely satisfying when some who tags their mean tweets actually gets called out for it.

• Love 1
(edited)

On a more petty note: I do find it supremely satisfying when some who tags their mean tweets actually gets called out for it.

I think that's kind of what that person was going for by tagging him though. Calling people out who tag you in their tweets is giving them exactly what they're asking for, haha. 

Edited by apinknightmare

Keto Shimizu was one of the two writers on last week's episode, "Guilty".  I made it through about ten minutes before I gave up on the episode.  I'm gradually learning which Arrow writers I enjoy and which I don't.

Guilty was the one episode I hadn't been able to record due to storms last year knocking out my DVR ( I lose Sat service EVERY time it rains hard)  Technically I missed something in the middle and I've been meaning to watch but it was such a painful episode to watch the first time around I'm not sure if I can bear it. 

(edited)

My point was that one action doesn't excuse the other. Whenever he acts like a dick/douche/diva fans are quick to excuse it by saying he's so nice look what he did for this fan(s).

Can he be nice to fans? Yes. Does that mean he's never a dick/douche/diva? No. They are not mutually exclusive.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but AFAIK, no one here has ever claimed that he's never a dick/douche/diva. Because we all realize that he's an actual human being with the usual human foibles and not a figment of our imaginations.

That said, am I willing to cut him some slack because he's consistently demonstrated that he's a decent, stand-up guy who goes out of his way to help others? Most definitely.

Edited by dcinmb
  • Love 7

I love that video. I love that he's all fake petulant about not being at world Cup game with Jared and Jensen. I love that he can really sing. I don't care that he said "tough shit" to someone passively aggressively dissing SA about his TMNT role and then acting like he's the dickbag for calling it out.

I appreciate that he's just himself on social media for the most part even if I don't always like or agree with it.

• Love 9

SA just posted a video to FB of him singing "O' Canada"!! It's awesome!

https://www.facebook.com/stephenamell/videos/882403135178288/

Pretty good. My first thought was he was gonna tumble into that pool at any moment. My second thought was why can't we have a musical episode of Arrow/Flash yet? I really am still hoping for a musical crossover. Third, congrats on his mobilizing votes, but Donaldson is not even Canadian - so its a nice tribute but really seemed a little odd. But yea, decent voice & now at least I figured out more than the first & last verse of the Canadian anthem.

• Love 3
(edited)

I know Donaldson is playing for Toronto and SA is a die hard Canadian & Blue Jays fan. So in that way it make sense. But I guess, I don't see how its that big of a victory for Canada? But props to him for holding up his end of the bargain. And congrats to Donaldson, from what I heard he deserves a slot on the team.

That being said its like when I watch the NHL & see the players feigning interest during the American Anthem when there is like 1 or 2 people on the team that is American. Its more just an interesting fact/commentary on modern professional sports that athletes go where opportunities are. But the fans/cities/countries can get very passionate & thereby adopted these players when the players themselves may have no actual emotional attachments/ties to the area. I from a VERY sports dominate/proud hometown and we get very invested in our athletes. Some players can get very invested in my hometown, but for some it is just a business. So its always interesting to see which ones care about the place they play in, which ones are just here for the checks. Likewise, its sad when the business end of sports then takes some of these players who were making a difference or "felt like one of us" away.

Edited by kismet

Ugh, Guilty. That episode is truly worthless, and showcases maybe the most egregious OOC moments in a season full of them. It's not as offensively bad as Canaries, it just feels like a spec script, written by someone who was only given the broadest of summaries of each character. I don't know why, because both writers have several Arrow credits as producers/writers.

• Love 6

These highly competitive types crack my shit up.  Can't handle criticism or failure at all.  I envision a meltdown on facebook (followed by a deleting spree) if the Casey Jones role doesn't go over well with reviewers.  I remember when someone sent him Jennifer Crusie's critique of the Clock King episode, and he commented that it was "Poorly written and seemingly annoyed. Otherwise tremendous."  Crusie is a bestselling author, so I doubt it was "poorly written," but I don't actually care enough to go and check.  You can judge for yourself, if you like.

• Love 5