Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

I don't know, you can tell that she realized she misspoke about being the "first/only superhero" or whatever she said.

And looking at it on a superficial level, since she's talking herself and her character up, Black Canary is traditionally considered a superhero, so since she's Black Canary (regardless of what stage of training she's in) now, she's considering herself a superhero. I don't think there's anything wrong with what she said, really. 

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 3

It's hard to hate on someone that awkward around words...and thinking.  Sigh.

How can you not have pre-thought these things out?  Just the moment she signed on to potentially play Black Canary, that would be the time to start absorbing info about any that came before.  I mean how could she over look Lynda Carter? 

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 4

If she's not reading the comics, the comics should never be a part of her answers. 

I partially disagree... While i can somehow understand not reading the comics (and since I don't read comics i can get that), I can't accept not doing some proper research: Wikipedia has a full page on Black Canary, with ton of info, and with a 2 second search I can find thousands of sites with info about the character- actually that's how I know my DC comics characters info: Wiki, DC wiki, DC comics website, and google in general. all are very helpful when i want to learn more about a character that may have appeared on a DC franchise show or movie.

• Love 2

I still think it was a misquote, but looking at the whole thing in context I have to retract the rest of my statement. I have no idea what KC was trying to say. You can't be the first, as of now. You are either the first at something or not, and she is certainly not the first female superhero on television. For that matter even only doesn't work with the as of now. Maybe, what she meant was the only female superhero right now, or for the time being, or something, but as you all have pointed out that isn't true either. So congratulations Katie, you have confounded me with words and that is not easy to do.

Which was precisely my point a couple of pages back.  Even if she misspoke and tried to correct herself she is still clueless if she thinks either of those things are true.  She is not now or has she ever been the first female superhero on TV. 

• Love 7

It's hard to hate on someone that awkward around words...and thinking.  Sigh.

How can you not have pre-thought these things out?  Just the moment she signed on to potentially play Black Canary, that would be the time to start absorbing info about any that came before.  I mean how could she over look Lynda Carter? 

I have no problem giving her grief for this.  IMO this goes right along with her snark about reading the comics. IMO her characters arc getting to the mask was not remotely properly earned whatsoever. If she's honest with herself and has any awareness of the ire in large segment of the fanbase about how she got the mask then  she's trying to do some kind of self promotion and damage control and is desperately trying to prove her value portraying a female superhero and kind of failing at it.  IMO it's laughable that she is this totally clueless about the genre in which she is claiming to be the "first now" whatever thing she's saying.

• Love 5

JB was at Emerald City Comicon, March 27-29, 2015 (Seattle, WA)...

John Barrowman at ECCC 2015 (includes singing with a fan):

John Barrowman singing to Alex Kingston at ECCC 2015:

John Barrowman at ECCC 2015 (taking fan questions):

BTW, slightly off-topic, but here are pics of some cosplay costumes from ECCC 2015 (Groot!):

http://www.newnownext.com/our-favorite-cosplay-from-emerald-city-comic-con-2015/03/2015/

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2
capleesi asked:

Marc is there a tag you track on Tumblr? How do you notice what the fans are saying on Tumblr irt reactions, thoughts and feedback? Or do you just look at the asks you get for a general feel of how things are going in the fandom?

I tend to just look at the asks.  I’m still in the early stages of working Tumblr into my social media reviewing routine.

http://marcguggenheim.tumblr.com/

Edited by tv echo

I figured it would eventually, I just can't tell what's going on here. Did he send them a shirt, are they reaching out to him publicly since there's a fan in the audience with a sign, are they reaching out because he's a vocal fan, IDK

• Love 1

Stephen has been cast in the new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle film.

https://variety.com/2015/film/news/stephen-amell-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-casey-jones-1201459533/

So I guess that was his big news... haven't seen the new TMNT, but loved the older stuff when I was younger. Will probably check the newer stuff out now. Don't really care for Megan Fox, but at least they did the smart thing and had chemistry tests. Still boggles my mind as to why they never bothered to do that for Arrow.

I figured it would eventually, I just can't tell what's going on here. Did he send them a shirt, are they reaching out to him publicly since there's a fan in the audience with a sign, are they reaching out because he's a vocal fan, IDK

Either way, Amell on Raw will be great.  They just need to bring in Edge, Christian, DDP, and Hogan for a Wrestlemania 6 themed segment with him.

• Love 1
(edited)

Stephen has been cast in the new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle film.

https://variety.com/2015/film/news/stephen-amell-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-casey-jones-1201459533/

Meh. the only TMNT i'm willing to watch is the classic 1990's cartoon series, all these live action ones are pretty awful in my opinion. Also I just don't understand the hype over Meghan Fox so...

Edited by foreverevolving
  • Love 1

The character Casey Jones in known for having long dark hair.  Of course they could go wig but I wonder what Amell would look like with real long hair and not the flashback mullet of doom he wears. 

• Love 3

The character Casey Jones in known for having long dark hair.  Of course they could go wig but I wonder what Amell would look like with real long hair and not the flashback mullet of doom he wears. 

I wonder if they'll just modernize it and have him go with a shorter look. In the classic cartoon/movie of my childhood April had red hair and I don't see them doing much to change Megan Fox. As a person in the same age bracket as SA, it is cool to be in a movie that you saw as a kid. Hopefully it will do well in the box office and will lead to more feature films for him. I honestly can't see it being good enough to get any criticial praise. From what I heard of the other one it was ok, but not well written. 

I was a huge TMNT fan as a kid. That last movie was awful. I don't know who Megan Fox was playing but it wasn't April O'Neil. The movies in the 90's were cheesy but I kind of liked them better (the first two at least) and the cheesiness fit with the time they came out. 

For Casey they didn't do much to make MF look like red headed April. So I can't imagine they are going to make Casey look like Casey Jones. All they really need is his mask and hockey stick. Which is probably why SA really wanted the role.

• Love 2
(edited)

From the 3x17 Suicidal Tendencies episode discussion:

I have a feeling the EPs miscalculated fan reaction to the Atom electrocuting Roy scene.  They maybe expected fans to be excited about this 'cool' Iron Man-like weapon, but instead, due to their fuck-up, we're focused on poor Roy.

We like Roy, we know Roy, we have had years to grow attached to Roy.  That the show runners didn't realize that the audience would be more concerned for Roy than sorry for Ray exemplifies their whole myopic point of view.     

I'm sure they're pretty disappointed with the reaction since MG was excitedly promoting the "epic epic" Arrow vs Atom fight.

This is the second time MG admitted that they got the audience reaction really wrong (he said said it wrt the "light" speech Felicity gives Laurel) but I'm sure there are others, the reaction to Raylicity (Ray is a creepy stalker rather than golden comedy) and the disappointment with Nable's Ra's.

I think they're coming up against a real comics/not-comics hurdle. The first two seasons of Arrow were different enough from the comics that people thought of it as a stand-alone show. Then in season 3, they made a hard turn to costumes-and-masks comics, which put to the fore LD/BC, Ray/Atom and Ra's but also sldelined Diggle and Felicity as independent characters and produced worse writing and plotting.

Now they're in a bind, IMO, because the people who wanted comics and thought Laurel should have been BC long ago are all excited and ready for the next stage of the comic journey (I've seen a number of posts saying it's about time and Team Arrow should be Arrow/BC/Arsenal and Diggle and Felicity should go off and do something else or even killed off), and the people who got pulled into the show with the good characterizations and original characters in season 1 and 2 are pretty unhappy with the direction things are going right now.

I don't think they can please both groups.

ETA:  I don't mean that everyone who read the comics wants only the comics story, just the people who want it over what the show was giving in the first two seasons.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 5

This is the second time MG admitted that they got the audience reaction really wrong

Did he? I thought he just admitted they fucked up leaving Roy twitching on the ground.

(edited)

Did he? I thought he just admitted they fucked up leaving Roy twitching on the ground.

He didn't admit to a fuck up but I remember he admitted on tumblr that he didn't expect the backlash from having Laurel fake Sara's voice to lie/manipulate Lance during the Canary trilogy.

Edited by Morrigan2575
(edited)

He didn't admit to a fuck up but I remember he admitted on tumblr that he didn't expect the backlash from having Laurel fake Sara's voice to lie/manipulate Lance during the Canary trilogy.

Oh, yes, I remembered he admitted he miscalculated the reaction to Laurel using Sara's voice. I was referring to this latest episode. He just said he fucked up with regard to Roy, did he talk about audience reaction, too?

Edited by looptab
(edited)

Unfortunately, I think the EPs are going to stick with the comics route because they have their larger DC mini-verse on TV to consider... unless ratings drop.

You're probably right, but it would be good to have the show determine the storyline based on what makes it the better show rather than reacting to ratings.

Although if s4 is like much of s3, I wouldn't be surprised if ratings did drop.

They thought that everyone would be so excited to see Arrow and Atom battle that no one would really notice what happened to Roy, just like they themselves missed it. Instead, so many people were focused on what happened to Roy that very few commented on the A vs A "epic epic" fight.

He didn't say they miscalculated audience reaction but it's there in the subtext.

I knew there was another there I missed.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 1

Oh, yes, I remembered he admitted he miscalculated the reaction to Laurel using Sara's voice. I was referring to this latest episode. He just said he fucked up with regard to Roy, did he talk about audience reaction, too?

With Roy?  No, he just admitted to messing up but it was kind of obvious that fans were reacting since he answered the same question about Roy on tumblr 3 times.

They thought that everyone would be so excited to see Arrow and Atom battle that no one would really notice what happened to Roy, just like they themselves missed it. Instead, so many people were focused on what happened to Roy that very few commented on the A vs A "epic epic" fight.

He didn't say they miscalculated audience reaction but it's there in the subtext

I don't see how the two things are strictly related, but interpretation may vary, I guess :)

With Roy?  No, he just admitted to messing up but it was kind of obvious that fans were reacting since he answered the same question about Roy on tumblr 3 times.

Yeah, with how everyone was upset about Roy he couldn't have missed that! But I meant with regard to the Arrow vs Atom fight, I didn't read him admitting they miscalculated the reaction anywhere.

(edited)

I don't see how the two things are strictly related, but interpretation may vary, I guess :)

Yeah, with how everyone was upset about Roy he couldn't have missed that! But I meant with regard to the Arrow vs Atom fight, I didn't read him admitting they miscalculated the reaction anywhere.

I don't know, I don't go on Tumblr so if it wasn't brought over here I couldn't tell you if he said anything.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1

I don't expect him to say "we thought everyone would be so excited about the fight but they're not". The fact that what broke twitter was not the fight but leaving Roy there twitching suggests to me that they miscalculated.

All three of these (the appearing as Sara, the "light" speech and the fight) are around the creation of superheros BC and Atom, with the audience rejecting what the EPs thought they would be excited for.

• Love 4

I'm sorry , I realize now my previous post sounded a little too polemic, but that wasn't my intention. I honestly took literally your first statement and thought he had come out and say it-and that I had missed that. I still don't think the Roy incident and the reaction that followed it is in any way related to what their expectations towards Atom and Arrow fighting were, so let's agree to disagree on this :)

He also thought the bouquet thing would cause a big reaction, but it kind of didn't? Sure, people talked about it, but not near as much as about poor Roy -- which was something they definitely wanted ignored.

• Love 2

Q: Why doesn't Oliver just give ARGUS the location of Nanda Parbat? The League are terrorists. I would imagine ARGUS would be interested in taking them down. Why doesn't Waller just launch a drone strike on their base of operations?

MG: For the same reason Hamlet didn’t kill Claudius in Act 1, or why Jack didn’t shoot out the bus’ tires before it got up to 55 mph… there’d be no story.

ARE. YOU. SERIOUS.

• Love 4
(edited)

Um, no Guggenheim. That isn't the reason that those things didn't happen. There were valid narrative and character explanations for why Hamlet didn't kill Claudius in Act 1, and why Jack didn't shoot out the tyres on the bus (also, how hilarious is it that his go to responses are Shakespeare and, of all things, Speed?). Because those writers actually thought about that stuff. Clearly more than you did, otherwise you wouldn't come up with that bullshit as your only reasoning.

You don't make a narrative choice just because, 'well, without it there would be no story'. If you do that, then your story sucks anyway.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 5

If he hadn't referenced Speed I could have stopped myself from posting.  The reason Jack didn't blow out the bus' tires before it hit 50 mph is because he's just witnessed the bomber blow up another bus remotely.  He could have stopped the bus before the bomb was activated but that wouldn't have saved the day.  He needed to figure out how to disable the bomb and save the people on board.  There were cameras outside and inside that bus so that the bomber could see any attempts at saving the hostages and Jack knew this.  He had to think of a way to outsmart the bomber.  There was a story because the Speed scriptwriter(s) actually considered these types of things, even if they got carried away with some of the action sequences. 

I can't comment on Hamlet because I loathe and actively try to forget it but I have seen the Lion King and Simba didn't kill Scar because he had no reason to think he was the villain of the story rather than a concerned uncle looking out for his (Simbas) interests.  When he learned he was really responsible for Mufasa's death, you bet your ass he went after him.

• Love 10
(edited)

Yeah, I...think he missed the part about how there has to be some sort of reason or motivation for your protagonist NOT doing something that would seem to help his situation. There isn't one here. Yes, we all know that ARGUS is shady as hell, and that they personally used and abused Oliver himself.* But he's shown himself willing to work with them in certain situations, and it seems like they could help and would even potentially be motivated to help him, specifically. So Oliver's not calling them for help because the plot dictates that he can't and that's good enough for MG.

(*And honestly, if MG had used that as his reason, I would have accepted it. We still don't know the full extent of what happened to Oliver in Hong Kong/elsewhere, so if we were supposed to believe that he has reason to think they wouldn't help or that it would be worse for everyone if they did, then...okay. I'm not saying I buy it, but it's A Reason, anyway.)

Edited by Carrie Ann
  • Love 3
(edited)

Graham Yost (Justified) was the writer for Speed, and he'd been trained all his life by his father, Elwy Yost, a film historian, on what makes a good screenplay.

You, Mr. Guggenheim, are no Graham Yost.

ETA: now that I think about it, in terms of Oliver's thinking, it would make perfect sense for him to call in ARGUS now that he knows where Nanda Parbat is.  And Amanda Waller would have sooo much fun blowing it up.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 5
(edited)

Graham Yost (Justified) was the writer for Speed, and he'd been trained all his life by his father, Elwy Yost, a film historian, on what makes a good screenplay.

You, Mr. Guggenheim, are no Graham Yost.

Actually, the production script -- the one that was shot -- was Joss Whedon's. He just never got credit for it, the WGA removed it before the movie was released.

Edit: here's an interview with Whedon about Speed: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/06/10/joss-whedon-speed_n_5473795.html

Edited by dancingnancy
  • Love 2
(edited)

The thing that's especially stupid about the ARGUS argument is that it could very easily be addressed. I mean, given the League's code or whatever, I imagine that they wind up doing Waller's dirty work sometimes. She has no incentive to obliterate them or to help Oliver, so Oliver could go to her and either a) have her tell him no for that very reason or b) agree to take them out in exchange for something that's a price higher than what Oliver's willing to pay for the help. Easy peasy. 

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 2

If MG hadn't started posting on Tumblr, we could speculate that he is a hack writer and an ass, but we'd have no proof. By doing so, he's removed all doubt. I'm 1000% sure people have already detailed to him why Ray is a problem; he's just chosen to ignore it. Wonder why there's a change now?

• Love 12

I call b.s. on that reply. there must have been a lot of people who tweeted or commented on tumblr.

Actually, the production script -- the one that was shot -- was Joss Whedon's. He just never got credit for it, the WGA removed it before the movie was released.

Edit: here's an interview with Whedon about Speed: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/06/10/joss-whedon-speed_n_5473795.html

That's interesting. But the changes he made was to the characters, not the basic story, so why Jack didn't shoot the wheels of the bus would be Yost's work.

• Love 1