Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

SA just started a Q&A on his facebook page about 20 minutes ago (still going on )...

From his Q&A:

Mehan Ahmed Season 6 > Season 5 so far? or nah?
1 · 20 mins
Stephen Amell
Stephen Amell Hey... great question! First of all, it's impossible to tell. We're in the midst of shooting our 5th episode out of 23. One thing I have enjoyed is some of the people complaining on my FB page that I haven't been discussing the show. Umm... DID YOU WATCH THE SEASON 5 FINALE?!?!?! I can't say ANYTHING.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
18 minutes ago, Chaser said:

If this cliffhanger happened in the early seasons, I think people would be all over it. Now I think fandom is bored. It's impossible to take seriously. 

I don't know, I remember fans thinking Arrow was over, Oliver was truly dead after 309. It's possible that many fans out there really think some/all of the Island characters are dead.

Can I say something unfriendly: I don't get why SA always has to mention how he can't be the father/husband he wants to be. 

Is this really something your fans need to know. I mean, he can share whatever he wants but I always feel a little as though he wants people to know that he is the best family person ever. Which might be super important to him, rightfully so, but other people have maybe more of a difficult time being with their families. 

Maybe that is just me, maybe I am the weird one. Or I could just not read it. I certainly don't mean to offend.  I don't know where I am going with this any longer. Just that I was irritated reading it because he always says the same thing when it comes to that topic. *hides away because my own opinion and fear of scrutiny is scary*

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, bijoux said:

Is that something from his Q&A?

Yes, this is just a piece of the whole answer and maybe I am taking it the wrong way. Could totally be. I just rolled my eyes reading it because everyone has a bit of a moody phase sometime. My partner would have left me several times if he hadn't signed up for me being moody sometimes. When my mum got sick, I certainly can say that I wasn't pleasant to be around but that is life, being human, it happens. 

"You know what else puts me in a negative place, the second thing: My back. This is the first time in my life that I've dealt with back pain that has impacted my mood, my ability to be the type of partner that I want and my energy as a Dad. It's been really bad. Luckily I've been taking some steps over the past few weeks to make sure that I fix it once and for all."

• Love 1

The other way to look at it is that maybe he is stressed about it so therefore having a rant to anyone (including fans) who would listen. Air his grievances to feel better.

He could be showing off how good of a father he is or he could just be ranting because it is bugging him.

Lol no need to hide! You can be irritated by whatever/whoever you like! I constantly think VERY angry thoughts about my neighbour! He bugs!!!!!!!!

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Belinea said:

Can I say something unfriendly: I don't get why SA always has to mention how he can't be the father/husband he wants to be. 

Is this really something your fans need to know. I mean, he can share whatever he wants but I always feel a little as though he wants people to know that he is the best family person ever.

Based on what he chooses to post on his social media, I think that being a big family man is definitely part of the public image he's interested in putting out there.

• Love 10

Is this really something your fans need to know. I mean, he can share whatever he wants but I always feel a little as though he wants people to know that he is the best family person ever. Which might be super important to him, rightfully so, but other people have maybe more of a difficult time being with their families. 

Maybe that is just me, maybe I am the weird one. Or I could just not read it. I certainly don't mean to offend.  I don't know where I am going with this any longer. Just that I was irritated reading it because he always says the same thing when it comes to that topic. *hides away because my own opinion and fear of scrutiny is scary*

6 minutes ago, apinknightmare said:

Based on what he chooses to post on his social media, I think that being a big family man is definitely part of the public image he's interested in putting out there.

^^^This

He's setup his public image (and he's very smart on how he sets everything up on twitter/facebook etc) to show that he's a "family man" a good dad, good husband etc.  I'm not accusing him of anything just that it's the Public Image he's established for himself and therefor reinforces it at every opportunity.  

• Love 8

I agree with others here. He's just trying to sell his happy family man image. A lot of actors do the same thing so it's no big deal. But it does come across somewhat disingenuous sometimes, with other stuff he posts. Just IMO.  

What I don't get is why he has to mention his wine company in literally everything. Actually, I do get it but I just want him to stop. Haha. Actually, I wish he'd just stop sharing, period. The overshare makes me cringe. 

What kind of annoys me about the whole "I'm so sad. I never see my family" thing some of these guys do is that they're doing cons, they're going to big events. And those things are fine. But, guys, you're choosing to spend time away from your families. And again, that's fine. I assume you and your wife have made that decision together, because it's good for your careers or brings in extra money or you're just doing something you like. Awesome. But stop acting like it's something out of your control that people who make way less money than you and don't have the choices you do should pity you for. 

Ahem.

Edited by bethy
Belated typo fixing
  • Love 23

It just baffles me sometimes how he brings it up because I don't even question that his family is important to him. So although it is part of his imagine I don't question it. If he were photographed every weekend at a party, maybe then I'd be like "what About his family". Although I do think people give him crap for having his daughter spend so much time with her nanny which is not very polite either. 

As for the cons; don't they all go with him all the time? His family and all his buddies? 

Edited by Belinea
2 minutes ago, Belinea said:

As for the cons; don't they all go with him all the time? His family and all his buddies? 

Before he started with the HVFF stuff he seemed to go to most cons alone, but now that he's on the HVFF circuit and he does Nocking Point parties during most of the HVFF con weekends, it seems like his family and friends come along most of the time.

4 hours ago, Angel12d said:

What I don't get is why he has to mention his wine company in literally everything. 

I don't mind his marketing most of the time, but I wish he hadn't funneled his Harvey relief efforts through a crowdfund on behalf of Nocking Point. Not being critical of his intentions - his track record proves he's a philanthropic guy and I do believe his intentions are 100% good, but I think he sometimes doesn't think through the optics of stuff? Like, that donation is going to get made in Nocking Point's name, which will get them publicity, and that donation could be used as a tax deduction for him or NP as well. But maybe he did think of the optics and went ahead with it anyway. 

Ultimately it doesn't matter because that money will get donated and it'll do the victims of Harvey as much good as it would've if the people who contributed had just donated directly, but it gives me a case of the icks that wouldn't be there if he'd just posted a link directly to the Greater Houston Community Foundation on his page when he mentioned wanting to do something for the community.

• Love 8

Yeah. The Daily Show has been posting direct links to the Houston food bank and another organization.  Putting it through Nocking Point makes it look kind of sleazy, especially if NP gets tax benefits.

SA really needs a savvy media consultant instead of thinking he can do it all himself.

8 hours ago, Belinea said:

"You know what else puts me in a negative place, the second thing: My back. This is the first time in my life that I've dealt with back pain that has impacted my mood, my ability to be the type of partner that I want and my energy as a Dad. It's been really bad. Luckily I've been taking some steps over the past few weeks to make sure that I fix it once and for all."

While I'm tired of the constant NP hype, I do have some sympathy for how it's affected him being a dad.  I remember having a very bad allergic reaction when my daughter was a few months old and being unable to hold her or do anything for her for three days.  Casandra is an adult so no sympathy for her.  I'm glad he's going to get the problem fixed (but I can't help thinking that there are some people in the US who don't have the option to get injuries fixed because they don't have the health insurance to cover it).

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Belinea said:

I do believe his image is important to him but I also believe SA is a really active, physical guy that probably has never been limited by this kind of pain.  It's not like an all out injury that you can treat and just recover from.  Chronic pain can be insidious and I think it really bothers him that he can't tough this out and get to the other side.  I don't think in this case mentioning his family and how he feels like he's not living up to his own expectations is a PR thing, though it may in part be a pride thing.

Still, I think the back pain honestly is a source of depression for him.  Not to a clinical level but enough to be something that is on his mind enough to just come out in the Q&A without it being calculated.     

• Love 8

Dresden Files was a show I enjoyed but it's also a great case for a show that should have dumped its plan and made changes.  I don't know if the woman in the picture, a police detective, was "canon" or not but they had no chemistry.  Then they brought in Claudia Black for one episode as a jaded, not quite a private eye, and made them work together and every moment was a joy to watch.  In this show, their actual plan wasn't a pairing with anti-chemistry but there wasn't really any push pull and most episodes it felt like she was shoehorned in. Or worse, that when she wasn't around I didn't notice at all.  The show got cancelled years ago and I still mourn for what COULD have been if the show runners had jumped on an opportunity when they see it like Arrow did.  

• Love 3

Oh, so much.  Knowing that the show was going to put Dresden and Murphy together was so painful.  Poor PB, if only they had let Claudia Black stay, the show might have lasted.

I liked Valerie Cruz in Off The Map. She was also in Homeland and Dexter.  Maybe it was just opposite PB that it was such a fail.

Good for the CW for joining to help fundraise for relief organizations.  I noticed the SPCA is part of that.  Houston apparently has more homeless dogs than any other US city, 1 million at estimation.  People from shelters in Canada and I assume the US are going down to Texas to try to find homes for the ones who don't have families.

Spoiler

On the shallow side, now we know what everyone is wearing for the Girls Night Out.

Edited by statsgirl
edited to put in spoiler bars because I thought I was posting in the Mind Your Surroundings thread
  • Love 3

Emily looks good in that royal blue. Not as good as when she's in red, but it's a really nice color on her. I guess there wouldn't have been Arrow representation if she didn't happen to be on The Flash set. Not that The CW tried or needed to include all its shows. 

4 minutes ago, apinknightmare said:

There are more videos coming:

I wonder if SPN pushed the CW for this? I know both Js are from TX.

Although it's not unusual for CW to do these charity and SPA spots. I remember they did one during Smallville's very late seasons (8 or 9) possibly for Katrina or was it the Earthquake in Haiti?

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I wonder if SPN pushed the CW for this? I know both Js are from TX.

I have been watching this since JA, MC and JA's wife started this on Aug 27.  There was no mention of the CW involvement at all when it was first opened. Then an  Austin TV station picked up on JA's efforts and did a story about it, but they couldn't even pronounce his name correctly LOL. That seemed to be picked up by other bigger outlets. CNN called him for an interview, which Holly Ollis tweeted about it. Then a day or so later, the Crowdrise site noted that they were joining with the CW.  I supposed JA may have asked them to promote it to raise as much money as possible, but I don't think the CW was going to be involved at initially. That's just my perception.

5 minutes ago, wonderwall said:

I really doubt it tbh

What do you mean? Sorry, which part do you doubt?

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

Didn't SA set up his own fund through Nocking Point, so maybe a lot Arrow stuff is going that route too?

Is it normal that donations go through a company and not to a fund directly? I have no idea. But regardless, it is a very lovely thing to do from all the people trying to help. 

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Belinea said:

Is it normal that donations go through a company and not to a fund directly? I have no idea. But regardless, it is a very lovely thing to do from all the people trying to help. 

I think how it's working is that FBBC along with Misha's charity Random Acts set up the fund via Crowdrise. AFAIK, none of the money is going to FBBC at all, I think they just sponsored it? The money is going through Random Acts which is a verified charitable org that has done many other things. Those funds are being dispersed to Americares, SPCA, Texas Diaper Bank and another thing I can't remember that helps serve families in need to rebuild their lives.  

• Love 3
43 minutes ago, Belinea said:

I'm really not sure why Stephen set up the Crowdrise when he had a charity picked out. I had some tax concerns about how the money was routed when I first read about it, but I gave a donation through the link to see how it was set up, and it does go directly to the GHCF, which is great - concerns alleviated! The only bad thing is that you pay a fee on the donation through Crowdrise that you don't have to pay if you donate directly. Not that the fee is enormous, but if you're going to have to give a few extra dollars along with the donation, it might as well go directly to the fund. 

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 4
6 minutes ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

Nice head canon, Josh. Would have loved if that had been how it had played out

That was how it played out. The question was about what Josh thought about "Felicity" being Adrian's last words, aka the last card he played against Oliver.

• Love 8

Some highlights of the panel and Dragon Con (it's 90% Josh Segarra). KC was supposed to be at the panel but after her photo ops she bailed and tweeted she was "sick" I'm guessing without notifying the coordinators because apparently 20 minutes into the panel (and not at the beginning) the mod notified the guests that she was sick and won't be coming after all. I'm sure we'll see her alive and well tomorrow.

• Love 4