Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E06: Military Qualifying

• Start Topic

An all-military episode? Like we don't feel self conscious about not being Adonises . . .  now we have to see people that would answer the call of duty that most of us wouldn't dream of answering? Seriously, I don't see how you can root against anybody that competed in tonight's episode. Well . . . except the politician who elected to skip a few Quintuple Steps. That guy was a punk.

• Love 3

Only 7 or so finishers, so even with the military training, it looks like the course monkeys made it a bit too difficult. Thing was, no obstacle seemed to be particularly difficult. The Monkey Pegs and the iBeams took out a lot of people each, but I'm not sure what could/should be done for them for the second phase. Hopefully now that people have seen them, more people will crack them. Only 4 or 5 failed on the Monkey Pegs so we should see a decent number get past the I-Beam next time.  

Really I'm shocked that no one touched the water on the cargo net that we saw; they either made it or they fell at the start. There were some nasty looking tumbles on the rolling logs there too. 

• Love 1

While I don't think the I-beams were an unfair obstacle, I do think that being right after the Monkey Pegs didn't do anyone's grip strength, (or arm strength in general,) any favors.  Also, the paucity of rock climbers in this contestant group shows up here as well - the Kansas City qualifiers (Wolfpack, Meagan Martin,) would have done well on this course.

• Love 3
(edited)

With as hard as this course was, I can't believe that a couple of the (very few) finishers were relegated to 'while we were away'. We don't need everyone to have a compelling story. And It seemed like more than the usual number of people WITH a compelling story managed to failed on the Q-steps. That's such a let-down after a big build-up.

Edited by Quilt Fairy
  • Love 5

Why weren't we allowed to see the two or three guys who finished the course actually do their whole run?  That was annoying. 

Also, none of the women made into the top thirty.  Bummer. 

• Love 3

With as hard as this course was, I can't believe that a couple of the (very few) finishers were relegated to 'while we were away'. We don't need everyone to have a compelling story. And It seemed like more than the usual number of people WITH a compelling story managed to failed on the Q-steps. That's such a let-down after a big build-up.

Why weren't we allowed to see the two or three guys who finished the course actually do their whole run?  That was annoying. 

I'm guessing that they're saving some of those stories for the city finals. That way we get to hear a different set of stories. But it is a let-down when people tank on the first obstacle after a big build-up. Those are the people that should really be relegated to "while we were away".

• Love 2

They could show their run without the big fluff piece beforehand, and if they want to tell their "story" at the city final, they still could. Personally, I'd prefer to see more runs and less fluff anyway.

• Love 8

They could show their run without the big fluff piece beforehand, and if they want to tell their "story" at the city final, they still could. Personally, I'd prefer to see more runs and less fluff anyway.

So this.  I find the backstories tedious, especially if the person wipes out on the first obstacle.  I can understand *some* to spark viewer interest, but not at the cost of showing actual runs, especially on such a tough course.  Their city final is going to be torture.

• Love 1

That transition on the I beam really seemed to favor taller competitors/those w/ longer arms. Rock climbers would have found that course simple, but gosh for anyone w/ just average upper body strength that was brutal.

I liked how they had a "theme" w/ all the contestants having a military background. I've never seen them do that before. Maybe they should do more of those - maybe even do a few shows based on people's specialties - like a rock climber edition, parkour edition, etc. and make courses that really tested those strengths.

• Love 5

I liked how they had a "theme" w/ all the contestants having a military background. I've never seen them do that before. Maybe they should do more of those - maybe even do a few shows based on people's specialties - like a rock climber edition, parkour edition, etc. and make courses that really tested those strengths.

That is a very cool idea.  I'd love to see them do that.

• Love 1

I DVR ANW and then start watching at around 9:15.  Usually I finish in time to see the last run of the night in real time.  I think NBC is trying to milk as many hours out of this show as it possibly can.  That's why we wound up last year with a 'runs of the season' special...and I think it was before the Vegas Finals.  I was miffed that we got what amounted to a repeat.

That is a very cool idea.  I'd love to see them do that.

As a special non-progression shows? I could see that. But as an actual trial that could lead to the Vegas finales? I'd rather not see that. It would involve either specializing the course, giving those contestants an unfair advantage (or disadvantage even), or we could see too many folk cut out or pass through that otherwise wouldn't. 

The Military special I don't have a problem with, since the skill sets and fitness skills are all across the board, and the course overall seemed fair (if not a bit too tough). It certainly used a lot of upper body strength, but no more so than a normal city course tends to. If they were to do a "First Responders" or a "Professional Athlete" special with a regular course, then I'd not have a problem.

But a "Rock climber special" with a lot of upper body/climbing elements wouldn't be fair as a trial IMO. 

• Love 2

That transition on the I beam really seemed to favor taller competitors/those w/ longer arms. Rock climbers would have found that course simple, but gosh for anyone w/ just average upper body strength that was brutal.

But wasn't the first guy to make it short? I don't recall if he was the 5'2" guy, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't one of the taller guys.

Was Deon the Destroyer the first openly gay contestant? Because bravo, sir, bravo. Not only telling us he was a gay man, proud to serve his country, but also an athlete and ANW competitor. I would have liked for him to have finished, but I was glad he got as far as he did.

How adorable were those triplets? They seemed liked the happiest babies ever, laughing and giggling in the clips. 

And Ryan Stratis. I was glad to see he's going on to the next round. He just seems like a great guy. I like how supportive he is of his fellow competitors. And, man, he has got the greatest triceps I've ever seen outside of guys who are bodybuilders.

• Love 2

I missed this first run, so watching the rerun tonight. Mostly, I'm finding whoever the other "announcer" is - not our usual emcees but someone in the background announcing to the audience, it seems? - incredibly distracting. Sometimes he announces fails before they actually air on the television. Is it just this airing, or was it like this before?