Type keyword(s) to search

Unpopular Opinions: "I hate BLTs from Kelly's!"

• Start Topic

Whenever anyone talks about what's popular with viewers, it reminds me of what happened on The OC. Josh Schwartz, the creator, basically admitted he killed Marissa Cooper off bc of TWoP. He assumed a large, large majority hated the character because of the message boards. He was shocked that the day after the episode aired, people were pissed.

It just goes to show that you never know. 

Edited by HeatLifer
  • Love 3
11 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

At least Marissa stayed dead.

Yeah, the show was canceled 10 episodes later, lol. 

She never should have been killed off because a message board hated the character, though. That's my point, really.

• Love 2
24 minutes ago, HeatLifer said:

Whenever anyone talks about what's popular with viewers, it reminds me of what happened on The OC. Josh Schwartz, the creater, basically admitted he killed Marissa Cooper off bc of TWoP. He assumed a large, large majority hated the character because of the message boards. He was shocked that the day after the episode aired, people were pissed.

That's why ratings dropped and your show got cancelled the next season, dummy. 

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, HeatLifer said:

She never should have been killed off because a message board hated the character, though. That's my point, really.

. . . does that mean it might have been a mistake to kill off Sabrina? :runs:

. . . :comes back: . . . does this mean people like Franco????

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 4
2 minutes ago, ulkis said:

. . . does that mean it might have been a mistake to kill off Sabrina? :runs:

. . . :comes back: . . . does this mean people like Franco????

LMAO. Well, technically, yeah. Who knows what the general audience as a whole likes/dislikes. Or even what the majority of the general audience likes/dislikes. They can do focus groups (which are manipulated to gather certain results) and they can go online.

But my main point with Josh is he looked at ONE message board. TWoP. And he became obsessed with pleasing them. He's said this in many interviews about his regrets.

Just now, HeatLifer said:

But my main point with Josh is he looked at ONE message board. TWoP. And he became obsessed with pleasing them. He's said this in many interviews about his regrets.

Oh, yeah, definitely. 

I think if you had to pick a place on the internet though to gauge audience reaction in general, it would probably be the GH facebook page. They seem to generally like stuff over there, until they don't.

and for non-internet places, Nathan Varni's mom's hair salon! 

Of course, given the ratings last summer, I think we can safely guess that a murder mystery revolving around Silas, Franco and Nina, world's most rushed quad of Dillon/Valerie/lulu/Dante, Ava wearing a wig, and Jason ambling around without his memory while Liz shoots crazy eyes everywhere, were definitely not popular with the general audience, heh.

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, ulkis said:

Oh, yeah, definitely. 

I think if you had to pick a place on the internet though to gauge audience reaction in general, it would probably be the GH facebook page. They seem to generally like stuff over there, until they don't.

and for non-internet places, Nathan Varni's mom's hair salon! 

Of course, given the ratings last summer, I think we can safely guess that a murder mystery revolving around Silas, Franco and Nina, world's most rushed quad of Dillon/Valerie/lulu/Dante, Ava wearing a wig, and Jason ambling around without his memory while Liz shoots crazy eyes everywhere, were definitely not popular with the general audience, heh.

2014/2015 has even eradicated from my brain.

But, yep, it also helps to look at ratings, although sometimes that's even hard to gauge. For example, is it ONE character/story that people don't like? Is it EVERYTHING? Who knows. I actually don't envy TV execs or writers. It's all a gamble in terms of deciding what's working and what's not. You can only get an idea.

37 minutes ago, HeatLifer said:

I actually don't envy TV execs or writers. It's all a gamble in terms of deciding what's working and what's not. You can only get an idea.

I don't envy them either, but I don't think GH is particularly honest about what's working and what isn't. You can't please everyone, of course, but I really want to hear why casting Roger Howarth as Franco seemed like a good idea. Let's take the Howarth factor out of it: Why bring back Franco, of all people, at all? He was a vanity character written as a one-off stunt. Maybe he worked, maybe he didn't; but he wasn't meant to last. He died when James Franco's contract was up, and that was supposed to be the end of him. Then the ABC/OLTL/PP stuff happened, and RoHo was available. He couldn't be Todd for legal reasons; fine. But why make him Franco? And then why try make him some unholy hybrid of Todd and Franco? There were plenty of existing GH characters to choose from. But no, they chose the SERIAL KILLER and then gave us insulting, slapdash reasons for him not really being a SERIAL KILLER. The character hasn't worked. Do they try to fix him? No, they double down. Ugh.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, HeatLifer said:

I guess they shouldn't have necessarily killed her, but she really was an awful, awful character. I didn't miss her at all.

Maybe they shouldn't have killed Morgan? *runs away*

59 minutes ago, ulkis said:

I think if you had to pick a place on the internet though to gauge audience reaction in general, it would probably be the GH facebook page.

Ugh, they're all Carson and Corinthos fans.

• Love 3
19 minutes ago, tvgoddess said:

Maybe they shouldn't have killed Morgan? *runs away*

I think there are good story possibilities either way, honestly, but this show does everything in such a lazy fashion that it doesn't matter. Nothing has any impact.

• Love 2
28 minutes ago, tvgoddess said:

but she really was an awful, awful character. I didn't miss her at all.

And that's fine. But people also loved her and her pairing. And for the creator to dismiss that in order to please a single message board? It's naive and decisions should never be made that way. 

30 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

But why make him Franco?

It seems they wanted to use the Jason angle in the beginning.

Edited by HeatLifer
  • Love 1

I'm pretty sure they CAN tell during which scenes neilson viewers turn off, but I'd have to double check with the person I was talking to about it.

But in general, no one lamented the Eckerts being gone, or any of Monty's second stint creations overall, or Lily or Jordan or Sonny's myriad of crappy girlfriends, so they must have some way of gauging.

And never forget, Ron said "a focus group" liked Carly and Franco. They knew. 

• Love 5
39 minutes ago, HeatLifer said:

And that's fine. But people also loved her and her pairing. And for the creator to dismiss that in order to please a single message board? It's naive and decisions should never be made that way. 

I wonder if that's what happened to Battlestar Galactica and the TWoP recaps - just got worse and worse until it reached that clusterf*ck of a finale. 

I can't believe Cartini managed to find a group of regular viewers who thought Franco/Carly were a good idea. Maybe new viewers who were already RoHo fans, or non-viewers who agreed that LW and RoHo are good actors but actual, long term GH viewers? 

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Oracle42 said:

I can't believe Cartini managed to find a group of regular viewers who thought Franco/Carly were a good idea. Maybe new viewers who were already RoHo fans, or non-viewers who agreed that LW and RoHo are good actors but actual, long term GH viewers? 

Depends how they posed the question. If it were along the lines of "Would you rather see Franco and Carly together or Michael get shot again," in other words, two entirely unrelated events, people might choose Franco/Carly. Doesn't mean they want to see them, just that they prefer more that Michael doesn't shot again. And there's your "proof" people like Franco/Carly.

• Love 3

Is there a reason why almost every woman on this show has to be a white blonde? Aside from long-time characters like Laura, Lulu, Carly, and Maxie we keep getting more women who fit this type, like Ava, Kiki, Parker, Claudette, and Nelle (and we still don't know what her purpose is on the show). It feels really weird that, instead of seeing an Asian woman or another Latina, TIIC repeatedly hire the same type of woman.

I know diversity sucks on this show and has ever since Guza despite the change in writers, but it still irks me. Jordan was given the job FH didn't want, they do little but sideline TJ (and used the controversy around black customers being mistreated by stores to prop Mumbles), and legacy character Lucas is kept in a vet closet instead of having story written around him on a show called General Hospital instead of that mumbling, shoe polish haired mobster jackass who keeps endangering his damn kids. Couldn't they try just a little?

• Love 3
1 hour ago, ulkis said:

I'm pretty sure there's only about one actual blonde among the blondes on this show.

I think Genie, Kristina, Kirsten, and Maura are all natural born blondes.

(I myself am a natural born blonde, albeit one who gets her hair highlighted every year because they dull out the older you get. I hope I don't come cross as too sensitive about my blonde hair, as this show obviously needs diversity; it's the dumb blonde jokes that bother me more now that I'm older.)

• Love 2

I've alternated between dyeing my hair red or dark brown for years, but I'm a natural blonde, too. Granted, my natural hair color isn't all that light, what my grandmother calls dishwater blonde, aka the most boring hair color in existence. I've actually been thinking of going back to blonde, but I'd want a lighter color than my natural one, though, like the ladies women peach listed.

I'm enjoying Curtis's involvement in the car bombing investigation.  He's hot, a good actor, and (to me) steals every scene he's in.  Only downside - I can no longer ff Jason and Jason/Sam scenes.   I think Jason perks up around Curtis, as compared to any other scene partner.  Maybe it's because Curtis gets a lot of comedy?  

On November 7, 2016 at 1:43 PM, LeftPhalange said:

There are millions of people who watch this show. Every character and every pairing has at least some fans. And the viewers who participate online are a minority so that's not really an accurate way to judge how popular something is. 

You are so right.  My mom is a senior who's watched since the 70's.   Her long time faves - Carly, Sonny, Jason.  Favorite couples - Carson, and Jasam.  Alexis is probably edging out Jason since the recasting.

She's a HRC Nasty woman, yet she doesn't mind Franco.  She thinks I over analyze.  "I just watch it".  She also doesn't hate Nina.

On November 20, 2016 at 1:45 PM, Lobsel Vith said:

Is there a reason why almost every woman on this show has to be a white blonde? Aside from long-time characters like Laura, Lulu, Carly, and Maxie we keep getting more women who fit this type, like Ava, Kiki, Parker, Claudette, and Nelle (and we still don't know what her purpose is on the show). It feels really weird that, instead of seeing an Asian woman or another Latina, TIIC repeatedly hire the same type of woman.

Ava, Maxie, LuLu, Carly, and Kiki are way over processed blonde.  But Laura has a beautiful darker blonde color, and I don't consider Nelle a blonde at all.  Her hair looks naturally beautiful and healthy.   I will never understand why they want every ounce of color leeched out of hair.  And it can give it a straw consistency - Ava, bad.  

I remember when LW was cast, she was so excited because she wanted to go brunette.  Carly had been brunette for years at that point.  But show said no.  She also wanted to use her natural curls instead of always straightening, because it would help keep her hair healthier.  They told it looks too unattractive in its natural state.  I think she should go red.  It's healthier on hair, and died hair tends to be naturally shinier.  Maybe curls would work with that. 

• Love 1
On November 21, 2016 at 1:01 AM, Melgaypet said:

I've alternated between dyeing my hair red or dark brown for years, but I'm a natural blonde, too. Granted, my natural hair color isn't all that light, what my grandmother calls dishwater blonde, aka the most boring hair color in existence. I've actually been thinking of going back to blonde, but I'd want a lighter color than my natural one, though, like the ladies women peach listed.

If you have pale skin, red is never a bad choice.   I've heard women say they go blonde to hide grays, but it's just as easy to touch up roots when you're red.  Maybe easier.  I've found that dyeing red does not harm the health of my hair, whereas bleach surely would.  Only downside - you really need a color protect shampoo.   Red fades - always. 

You could compromise between red and dark brown, and choose a darker auburn.  

On 11/20/2016 at 1:45 PM, Lobsel Vith said:

You forgot to add Kristina to the list of blondes as well. It's a sandy blonde but its still blonde. The show used to be mostly  white brunette's which was no better. Women darker than olive skin usually don't last long or get much shine on GH. Just like how Sonny has all these kids and they all are by white women and played by white actors. Yet they used to try and make Sonny the representative of latinos on the show during Hispanic heritage month. 

On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 9:50 PM, In2You said:

You forgot to add Kristina to the list of blondes as well. It's a sandy blonde but its still blonde. The show used to be mostly  white brunette's which was no better. Women darker than olive skin usually don't last long or get much shine on GH. Just like how Sonny has all these kids and they all are by white women and played by white actors. Yet they used to try and make Sonny the representative of latinos on the show during Hispanic heritage month. 

That's true.  I laughed when I read this because it is so true.  Ironically, though, isn't VM Hispanic?  I wonder why they don't have more olive/brown skinned actors on soaps.  Especially since GH is set in NY, I'd expect more than a group of white, blondes or tiny little brunettes.  I'd imagine some sturdy Italian women with curvy hips etc. 

10 hours ago, Chairperson Meow said:

That's true.  I laughed when I read this because it is so true.  Ironically, though, isn't VM Hispanic?  I wonder why they don't have more olive/brown skinned actors on soaps.  Especially since GH is set in NY, I'd expect more than a group of white, blondes or tiny little brunettes.  I'd imagine some sturdy Italian women with curvy hips etc. 

Yes VM is half Mexican though Brenda is not Latino. Maurice is Salvedoran/Nicaraguan while Sonny was raised by a Cuban mother.  In recent years they've tried to portray Sonny like he's Italian with all the Italian cooking and good old days talk like racial and cultural tension didn't exist when Sonny was growing up. Of course theyes also portray Bensonhurst as some gay haven that was so accepting despite all the strict Catholics. 

• Love 2
6 hours ago, In2You said:

Yes VM is half Mexican though Brenda is not Latino. Maurice is Salvedoran/Nicaraguan while Sonny was raised by a Cuban mother.  In recent years they've tried to portray Sonny like he's Italian with all the Italian cooking and good old days talk like racial and cultural tension didn't exist when Sonny was growing up. Of course theyes also portray Bensonhurst as some gay haven that was so accepting despite all the strict Catholics. 

lol I remember Sonny reminiscing about his times with at gay Bensonhurst.  Which made no sense at all that a man who considered alcoholism and coming from wealth and having an education as being "weak". 

• Love 2
On 12/16/2016 at 8:50 PM, Chairperson Meow said:

VM is half-Mexican on her dad's side (her real last name is Ortiz--Marcil is her mom's maiden name), and Italian, French, and Portuguese on her mom's side.

And to keep things on the topic of UOs:

I wish Julia Barrett had stayed around. I've liked what I've seen of her. 

• Love 3
11 hours ago, UYI said:

VM is half-Mexican on her dad's side (her real last name is Ortiz--Marcil is her mom's maiden name), and Italian, French, and Portuguese on her mom's side.

And to keep things on the topic of UOs:

I wish Julia Barrett had stayed around. I've liked what I've seen of her. 

Me too. I have a feeling it was to link her closer to the Qs to have her sister leave the canvas, but I liked her. Weird thing is that I looked up her age, and she is the same age as Vanessa Marcil. 

Her is mine. I fully appreciate what Gloria Monty did for GH, I really do, but a part of me is glad that a few short years after she unceremoniously dumped Denise Alexander because she asked for a lighter work schedule, while bending over backwards for the male stars, GH ended up losing the number 1 slot.

• Love 1

I think Guza was better at writing for female characters than either RC or JP/SA and that's sad and shitty because his writing for women was frequently problematic but it wasn't such a weak, one-note mess. The writing for the show has been bad under FV but the treatment of the female characters has been particularly apalling

• Love 6

Guza, in general, was better at developing brand new characters. For example, while Johnny Zacharra and Lorenzo Alcazer shared many traits in common: both raised in the mob, both presented as the most reasonable and "good" in their families, both cultured, they were still distinct characters.  I will even go far to say the one thing that he was really good at was bring a type of “dark glamour” to GH, his first stint seemed to have a similar feel to Gloria Monty's early GH, of course his strongest talent is the one he loathed. 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Ambrosefolly said:

he was really good at was bring a type of “dark glamour” to GH

It helped that TK and BB could actually act, as well as being extremely easy on the eyes. These days we get an emphasis on the latter. I don't think RP, for instance, is as bad as some do, but on his best days he couldn't touch TK and BB on their worst.

• Love 8

I kinda like BM. He's not playing any recognizable version of Jason but I like him with Curtis and Sam and Monica and if TIIC had just acknowledged that this is another drastic personality change and allowed the people in his life to react to that change - I'd be totally on board

• Love 6

My main problem with Jason is not even necessarily his personality shift that we're apparently supposed to ignore. It's the fact that he doesn't DO anything. He hasn't had a job in over a year. He goes around town "solving crimes." First the Nik debacle and now this investigation with Sonny/Julian. All his scenes are spent talking to other people about their problems and telling them what to do. The writers never cared about really developing a new Jason or giving him and Sam their own internal problems to work through.

7 minutes ago, HeatLifer said:

All his scenes are spent talking to other people about their problems and telling them what to do.

Well, if you add in shooting people, that's...basically what Jason has done for the past two decades. But yes, they need a story of their own.

I think acknowledging the huge shift in his personality and dealing with his different approach to people and situations would be enough - it'd be a hell of a lot more than they have now.

• Love 6
1 minute ago, Oracle42 said:

Well, if you add in shooting people, that's...basically what Jason has done for the past two decades. But yes, they need a story of their own.

I think acknowledging the huge shift in his personality and dealing with his different approach to people and situations would be enough - it'd be a hell of a lot more than they have now.

To me, it's really simple. Allow Sam and Jason to be real characters who make mistakes, who have problems, who argue, who are confused. This version where they're essentially in a perfect bubble who only deal with their family and friends and those people's problems is what the issue is.

• Love 2

Now, before anyone's head explodes, remember. I looked for the unpopular opinions thread, so I knew what I was putting out in the world.  

I wish Roger Howarth would take a week or two off and James Franco would replace him, just so I could get JF and Becky Herbst as a couple for a short term. That would bring the pretty. I'd also like to see what JF is like as as the (ugh) "good" Franco. I don't know if that whole acting experiment/vanity project was good for the series, ultimately, and I wish it had gone in a different direction. But I thought James Franco was absolutely magnetic, especially in his first appearances in 2009, when he was obsessed with Jason's coccyx.  

• Love 4

I like Brad Cooper. I know he won't be on very much, because he's in the rainbow ghetto. Playing heel to Finn is, sadly, more of a source of screen time for him than being in the medical profession and married to a legacy character. But Parry Shen is fun to watch. I'm not even sure it's great acting, as much as just a general liveliness, and when Brad is into someone sexually (whether the person returns it or not), I believe it. He seems like someone with a healthy sex drive. That's surprisingly rare on soaps, whether the character is straight or gay.  

• Love 6
On 3/21/2017 at 1:40 AM, sunnyface said:

After finally reaching my limit with Carly, I would rather watch Nina vs. Anna.  The same can be said that I would rather watch Rachel than Sam. 

Yikes.  I meant I would rather watch Nina vs. Carly. 

[The choice to edit was not provided.  Of course, the fault of words was due to Sonny.]

Helena took away the edit button. (No, it expires after a period of time.) 

It's funny; I read your post when it was new as well as before I left the one above, and I thought it made perfect sense as written. I thought you meant you would rather see a Nina vs. Anna argument/catfight than anything involving Carly. I'm like, "Yeah, I can get on board with that."  

I don't find the Nurse's Ball cute or endearing. The red carpet is cheesy and the fact that it's supposed to be televised is a joke. You're telling me this ball with about 20 seats in the audience(half of which are filled by people who can't afford to donate to the hospital),and school talent show level performances and production values is so popular  people want to watch it on TV?  Where are the extras to play rich members of Port Charles society who are notable hospital benefactors beyond the ones of the main cast?

This cast doesn't really have any multi talented people who can sing, act, and dance well enough for me to watch them perform on stage. 

• Love 1
42 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

That is probably the furthest thing from an UO as you can get here!

At this point, yes. It would be more unpopular to say you hated the OLDER Nurses Balls, too. At least they didn't have a red carpet back then! 

• Love 2