Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E06: A Little Q&A

• Start Topic

I think this show's finale was the best finale on TV I've seen this season. It hit all the right notes, imo, of joy and happiness and personal struggles and sadness and growth and change and acceptance and love.

There was a moment in the show, I think it involved Bill and Jen addressing a question about whether or not they'd like to be average height, and Bill wisecracked that their show would "suck" because if they were average sized then they'd just be "The Couple" and how boring would that be, heh, and that just made me crack up.

• Love 9

I know you might think that as a mod I should know this ... ha ... but is this good or bad?

Not great.  It's enough to keep them on the air, but not very good. 

• Love 3
Sadly, the minute the show isn't making money, it will be cancelled.

Yes, it is sad. But TLC isn't exactly known for supporting high quality entertainment.  They will find some other sensational, tawdry storyline (think Honey Boo Boo and the American Gypsies) and the Little Couple will be history.  I firmly believe TLC is surprised by the integrity and intelligence of this couple - they were hoping for something more trashy.  What a pleasure for us, though!

• Love 5

I actually don't track all the TLC shows.  The Duggars were doing much better than that this season before their fall from grace.  The Little Couple had higher ratings last year with the adoptions and cancer drama.  Sister Wives used to be in the 2 M range, but they've dropped.  Just looking through the first three days this week, and The Little Couple on Tuesday was the only show on TLC to make the top 100 cable shows of the day.  TLC's primetime average is usually in the 800K to 900K range. 

• Love 1

As enjoyable as this family is to watch, the only way a reality show stays on the air long term is with drama and/or fresh storylines. The Duggars were circling the drain until JimBob loosened the reigns and allowed a couple of his daughters to marry. Honestly, I don't know where the Little Couple can go from here. As cute as the kids are, interest will wane, especially as they get older. I think ratings will continue to taper off before Bill and Jen bow out gracefully and end the show.

• Love 1
(edited)

As enjoyable as this family is to watch, the only way a reality show stays on the air long term is with drama and/or fresh storylines. The Duggars were circling the drain until JimBob loosened the reigns and allowed a couple of his daughters to marry. Honestly, I don't know where the Little Couple can go from here. As cute as the kids are, interest will wane, especially as they get older. I think ratings will continue to taper off before Bill and Jen bow out gracefully and end the show.

Ratings were down until the adoptions sparked new interest but now they are dropping again.  And now they bring us giants and transgendered children!  OK.....  

Edited by Foghorn Leghorn
  • Love 1

What's your point about giants and transgender children? TLC shouldn't do shows about them? I mean there's only so many shows they can do about little people, religious nuts, slutty gypsy girls, and good Christian boys who secretly molest their sisters. I mean, are giants and transgender kids less worthy than little people and religious whackadoos to whoring themselves out?

• Love 2
(edited)

I am really looking forward to "I Am Jazz".

Back on topic.  Thanks to Walnutqueen for telling me when the additional airings of the finale are.

Edited by Honey
  • Love 1

Doesn't seem to bother the kids, though.  I thought it was a hoot when Will told the crew to get out of his way when they were making cookies.  That boy keeps his eye on the prize!

For sure. Will was accustomed to cameras long before being adopted. In his foster home/orphanage, they were very big on filming celebrations. holidays, even everyday activities, so I don't think it would occur to Will to think anything about the cameras at all. At least, not until he's older and his school friends clue him into the fact that this is not something that goes on in everyone's home. But personally I'm guessing [and hoping] Bill & Jen will pull the cameras after the kids start kindergarten.

• Love 1

Maybe they might consider going back to Learning?

I ask this in all seriousness, where they ever really about learning? I only know them in their current form. Although, I will say, I do think The Little Couple is actually one of the families on the network that truly have something to teach the viewing public. 

• Love 2

I ask this in all seriousness, where they ever really about learning?

Yes. They used to be more educational in the 1990s - they had a really good show about the ER, a show called "Mysteries of the Bible" and generally did a lot of historical and science documentaries. Their drop to reality tv began with Trading Spaces, a reality show about home renovations being a huge hit.

• Love 3

I think that TL C is trying to find new families to set up the network's future. So far, they haven't seemed to have much luck. My Five Wives, Our Little Family, 7 Little Johnstons, and The Willis Family haven't seemed to generate much interest. People seem to be getting tired of their existing families, but the network hasn't found families to take their place. It will be interesting to see what happens with TL C going forward.

I was very interested in the New Jersey family that was not on very long. Table for Twelve was the name of the program, I think. Can't remember their name - Hayes maybe? Dad was a cop, Mom was SAH and one of the quints or sextuplets had CP as a result of the multiple and/or premature birth. ??? Nice normal kids, junior high age and younger. Nice normal house too - not tons of the latest gadgets, no interior designer etc. I'm hoping the reason they weren't on very long is because they themselves pulled the plug, deciding it was the best thing for the kids.  

• Love 3

Unfortunately, TLC seems to only lean toward families or people out of the norm.  Thus they hunt for very tall and very small (Roloffs, The Little Couple, the  new tall people show), people completely without manners, taste, or scruples (Gypsies, Honey Boo Boo), off the chart religions (Sister Wives, Duggars, Amish - although none of these groups, despite lip-service about their tenets, ever practice the basic ones), and bizarre health issues (Hoarders, 600 Pound woman).

This is very sad because when TLC first launched, they had some interesting and informative shows from which you really DID learn something.  The only thing you learn from them now, with the exception of Bill and Jen + kids, is how low our expectations have become and what tripe the American public finds palatable. 

• Love 2

Way back in the early days (1980's) TLC really was a learning channel sort of like if you took all the Discovery channel shows and rolled them into one channel, over time they divided out different types of shows to their own channels like animal planet or history,  Now TLC is left in the network stable with no real purpose so it become their reality showcase following unique families or people but it is starting to border on the modern equivalent of a circus freak show at times 

I really like the Little Couple but I suspect it is because of the influence of Bill and Jen making sure they use it as a platform to teach about what life is like for people who are vertically challenged.  (I am 4'10 myself).  I really liked the Q&A show because they answered one of the questions I always wanted to ask--do they prefer people to kneel down and talk at an 'eye to eye' level.  I understood first hand about the point about tall people not understanding when you are talking to shorter people you need to give them more personal space.

• Love 4

I was very interested in the New Jersey family that was not on very long. Table for Twelve was the name of the program

I loved that family, too.  Two sets of twins and a set of sextuplets.  I think the problem was that they were too normal and reasonable.  Not enough drama for TLC.

• Love 4

Yeah much like the Gosselin kids they seem to think the crew are there to play with them. Learning they are part of show hasn't seemed to changed  how the Gosselin's feel about the crew at least (Although in that particular example I wonder if part of the reason the kids are so attached is because some of those crew members are some of the stablest adults those kids have in their lives). One of the things you have to give TLC credit for is they seem to keep production crews on these show fairly consistent. Which when your working with kids, in someones home, would be important. For all the scrutiny and nastiness aimed at these shows I can't remembering seeing anything bad about the crew (I remember a fair amount of Kate is a nightmare to work for stories however).  It definitely an unusual way to grow up but I've never been convinced that any of the reality show kids are actually harmed by being on the shows. It different sure but only time will tell if it is truly harmful. If anything Will and Zoey get to learn things they both seem to enjoy they would gt without the show. For Will it being in front of the camera and Zoey behind it.

You have no idea the crew member is static. In fact, Kate did a Q and A and there was only one sound guy around from the beginning. The initial camera man and producer jumped ship after moral issues with the family and kids. I was very disturbed when Jen referred to their home as a "set"..."if Zoey isn't around it is because she wandered off set"...their home, the kids safe haven is a SET. Sure this family is cute and that is what TLC is selling on this show. They sell teen drama and problem kids with a bitch of a mom on another show. Harmful? Just picking your toddler up from an orphanage and shoving a camera in their face has got to be harmful. We have learned all we need to know from Zoey and Will, and certainly the lives the Gosselin kids have lived...what did we learn from that. When I see those kids now, I see depression, attention problems, hitting, shoving, disrespect and now Collin's own mother admitted he had emotional and educational issues. These kids ALL deserve privacy. It is deplorable that anyone could think filming them is ok.

• Love 3

The kids appear to be improving for sure but I still worry that the kids have grown very attached to the film crew and one day the crew will leave and the kids will feel loss / abandonment and confusion as to why they are not there anymore.  They have already been through enough loss and thank goodness they were adopted.

Kids suffer losses all their of their lives, pets die, people move, die or just fade out of their life.  It's part of life and no matter what, you are unable to protect them from it.  Bill and Jen will always provide a strong core family that will help them all through the rough spots in life.  Besides nothing says that the film crew and other people associated with the show will drop totally out of the scene.  There is no reason they can't remain friends.  Also it seems obvious they aren't in the Klein houses night and day for very long extended times so the film crews could be viewed like family or friends that come over for a few days and then leave.

• Love 8
Bill and Jen will always provide a strong core family that will help them all through the rough spots in life.

Precisely.  Best friends in childhood are very often forgotten unless they go through school together. The family core is there for the major holidays but we know that the crew is not.  Their importance in the family life is being subconsciously communicated to the kids.  As long as their parents, grandparents and the extended family remain stable their world is intact.  Even most kids with divorced parents grow up fine and half their family may vanish overnight.

• Love 8
.what did we learn from that. When I see those kids now, I see depression, attention problems, hitting, shoving, disrespect and now Collin's own mother admitted he had emotional and educational issues.

Colin had issues adjusting to school yes. However that was right in the middle of their parents divorce so I wouldn't necessarily blame the show.. Its also very common for multiples to have issues adjusting to school in general simply because they aren't used to socializing outside the family unit. Not to mention the possible learning and developmental delays common in premies like the Colin. I wouldn't say that evidence reality tv is harmful in itself. The Roloff kids seem alright except for the one who apparently got his fathers personality.  Will and Zoe have privacy cameras are only around part of the time and mostly when their parents are watching its really not that different than a home video.

• Love 4

The "set" is actually the area of the home where the lights and cameras were "set" up.  Zoey wandered away from that area.  There is no indication that Jen and Bill think of their entire house as a TV set. 

And Will and Zoey were not adopted and then cameras shoved in their faces.  They were brought home and Bill and Jen spent 3 weeks with Will and Zoey without a camera crew, without Kate, with no work schedules and very few visitors.  They gave each child time to adjust and get to know them as their parents, not just someone who may or may not remain in their lives. 

• Love 7
(edited)

I apologize im not focusing specifically on this episode but there was one Bill Talking Head moment early in another season with Bill saying that the reason Bill and Jen did not want camera crews around for several weeks after the adoptions because Bill did not want the kids thinking that the crew were members of the family and did not want them to develop close attachments to them. I hope the crew will keep in touch when the show ends but to them it is a job albeit a fun one.

Edited by Snow8585
(edited)

I apologize im not focusing specifically on this episode but there was one Bill Talking Head moment early in another season with Bill saying that the reason Bill and Jen did not want camera crews around for several weeks after the adoptions because Bill did not want the kids thinking that the crew were members of the family and did not want them to develop close attachments to them. I hope the crew will keep in touch when the show ends but to them it is a job albeit a fun one.

Bill may be referring to the critical 3 weeks after they came home because those were the times they were trying to establish and strengthen the parent-child relationship. With so many people in their home might be chaotic in the eyes of Will and Zoey so just to avoid confusion they opted to shut off "outsiders" for awhile. BUT I don't think he meant shutting them off of their kids' lives because as both Bill and Jen said before they became/are friends with their crew and staff. They will probably be in touch even after the show.

Edited by iamkarski

The kids appear to be improving for sure but I still worry that the kids have grown very attached to the film crew and one day the crew will leave and the kids will feel loss / abandonment and confusion as to why they are not there anymore.  They have already been through enough loss and thank goodness they were adopted.

The crew isn't around that much. Maybe enough to be considered really fun aunts and uncles.

(edited)

I'm not addressing anyone in particular here.  We all know that ratings are what keep shows on the air. If everyone who has a gripe about this show simply stopped watching, maybe that would bring the ratings down enough for the show to go away. Yet they don't stop watching, they watch and then complain.  I can only conclude that the reason they watch is so that they can complain about it.  It's really quite counterproductive on their part.

On topic.  I think I caught bits of this episode on the TLC site.  It looks like there are some clips of a Q&A with Bill and Jen. I missed the ep and I'm looking for pieces of it anywhere I can. 

Edited by Honey
  • Love 6
(edited)

I'm not addressing anyone in particular here.  We all know that ratings are what keep shows on the air. If everyone who has a gripe about this show simply stopped watching, maybe that would bring the ratings down enough for the show to go away. Yet they don't stop watching, they watch and then complain.  I can only conclude that the reason they watch is so that they can complain about it.  It's really quite counterproductive on their part.

If only it were that simple to control ratings because I am sure reality families would own lots and lots of tv's just to turn them on when their shows aired!  It would seem most reality shows are hate watched if you read their forums on this site.  It is just a different opinion.  The Kleins do make mistakes and for that reason I could never join their fan club and overlook their shortcomings (no pun).  Bring on snark!    

The "set" is actually the area of the home where the lights and cameras were "set" up.  Zoey wandered away from that area.  There is no indication that Jen and Bill think of their entire house as a TV set. 

And Will and Zoey were not adopted and then cameras shoved in their faces.  They were brought home and Bill and Jen spent 3 weeks with Will and Zoey without a camera crew, without Kate, with no work schedules and very few visitors.  They gave each child time to adjust and get to know them as their parents, not just someone who may or may not remain in their lives. 

They film in the living room, dining room, kitchen, hallway, bedrooms, bathrooms in the house and the pool, deck, front lawn and driveway so their property is "the set."          

Zoey and Will were filmed from the second they were handed off to the Kleins.  In India in the orphanage and in China at the hotel including his first night.  Will didn't want to go into the bedroom because he kept turning to look first at the tv which I couldn't figure out why they left it on to distract him and second by the lights and film crew.  Then in the bedroom he looked at the camera guy in the corner by the bed.  They were filmed up until they were finally home and then they took the 6 weeks to bond. 

Edited by Foghorn Leghorn
  • Love 1

If only it were that simple to control ratings because I am sure reality families would own lots and lots of tv's just to turn them on when their shows aired!  It would seem most reality shows are hate watched if you read their forums on this site.  It is just a different opinion.  The Kleins do make mistakes and for that reason I could never join their fan club and overlook their shortcomings (no pun).  Bring on snark!    

They film in the living room, dining room, kitchen, hallway, bedrooms, bathrooms in the house and the pool, deck, front lawn and driveway so their property is "the set."          

Zoey and Will were filmed from the second they were handed off to the Kleins.  In India in the orphanage and in China at the hotel including his first night.  Will didn't want to go into the bedroom because he kept turning to look first at the tv which I couldn't figure out why they left it on to distract him and second by the lights and film crew.  Then in the bedroom he looked at the camera guy in the corner by the bed.  They were filmed up until they were finally home and then they took the 6 weeks to bond. 

I actually think Will - especially - is not too concerned with the film crew being there. He's accustomed to it. The staff at his Chinese foster home, orphanage, whatever it was, was very big on videotaping the children quite often - both individually and during group events, holiday events etc. Although the orphanage probably didn't have as large a crew as TLC does, I think it pretty much looked like business as usual to Will, even on his first night with Bill and Jen.

• Love 3

I actually think Will - especially - is not too concerned with the film crew being there. He's accustomed to it. The staff at his Chinese foster home, orphanage, whatever it was, was very big on videotaping the children quite often - both individually and during group events, holiday events etc. Although the orphanage probably didn't have as large a crew as TLC does, I think it pretty much looked like business as usual to Will, even on his first night with Bill and Jen.

The purpose of filming Will and the other children at New Day was to get them adopted.  Then it did become a business!  

• Love 1