Type keyword(s) to search

Month of Zen: Saying Good-bye

NEW YORK, June 25, 2015 - As Comedy Central bids a heartfelt #jonvoyage to the incomparable Jon Stewart, a celebration of his 16-year plus tutelage at the helm of "The Daily Show" is in order. It all begins when Comedy Central takes epic binge watching to the next level with "Your Month of Zen" featuring a continuous stream of more than 2,000 episodes of "The Daily Show with Jon Stewart" starting tomorrow, June 26 at noon ET with Jon's first show as host on January 11, 1999 and culminates on the night of his last show on Thursday, August 6 at 7:17 p.m. ET. "Your Month of Zen" will be available at thedailyshow.com/monthofzen and the Comedy Central App.
  • Love 1

NEW YORK, June 25, 2015 - As Comedy Central bids a heartfelt #jonvoyage to the incomparable Jon Stewart, a celebration of his 16-year plus tutelage at the helm of "The Daily Show" is in order. It all begins when Comedy Central takes epic binge watching to the next level with "Your Month of Zen" featuring a continuous stream of more than 2,000 episodes of "The Daily Show with Jon Stewart" starting tomorrow, June 26 at noon ET with Jon's first show as host on January 11, 1999 and culminates on the night of his last show on Thursday, August 6 at 7:17 p.m. ET. "Your Month of Zen" will be available at thedailyshow.com/monthofzen and the Comedy Central App.

Ok 2 questions to clarify: Does that mean Jon's final episode will be live streamed too? And its going to be live at 7:17 pm (or in my region, 4:17 p.m.)? If that is what Comedy Central has confirmed, I'm so excited (and sad that it's getting closer to the end). T_Y

I find it very, very unlikely that they'd live stream the last show that early in the evening.

I think some enterprising group of fans should try to live-blog or live-Tweet the whole marathon. "Tune in now to see Steve Carell's first appearance," that sort of thing.

• Love 1
(edited)

God help me, I tuned into Month of Zen just to check out the first show - now I cannot stop watching, for fear I'll miss something awesome.  I'm going to need an intervention any day now.  :-)

I missed TDS a lot when it first started/hosted by JS, so this is great.  I love the couch!  I love how the globe is rotating the right direction!  Neil DeGrasse Tyson would be proud.  I guess I'm very biased on the contributors, but I love the more recent ones (even those that recently left) than most of the ones used back then.

Wow, remembering the whole Clinton-Lewinsky thing.  Really, impeachment proceedings over a blow job with two consenting adults?  Really?  Boy the Reps just find anything.  What would they have done if Obama wasn't black?

Ok, I get the "thing" with the Beth Littleford interviews, the soft filter and her surrounded by flowers. . . but its annoying.

Gary Busey has been crazy for many years. 

Ooo, an early Stephen Colbert!!

I can't stop!!!! George Carlin!!!

Edited by Hanahope
  • Love 2

I wish there were a schedule on their website so that we could see when certain episodes aired (e.g., 2000 election).

You can do your own rewatch and just watch on the TDS website. Plus, if you have adblock, no annoying pistachio ads. The pistachio industry is very serious about their product. They're still on May 1999 on Month of Zen if that's helpful.

I have to ask this, was TDS popular and successful in 1999? We watched a little of it yesterday and had it on during brunch today and it's like a replica of Weekend Update from SNL. A lot of bad segments and easy laughs (that were so easy we couldn't even laugh). Except SNL got top tier guests and a lot of these guests are not. The correspondent pieces are brutal. I just saw one where Mo Rocca is making fun of the people in the  "Friendliest Town" in Pennsylvania right to their faces. They're literally just making fun of people who are a little eccentric or really nice. WTH? Lewis Black is still as angry and good as now. The Month of Zen, by it's 2nd day has made me insanely impressed in what TDS is now. It's also fun to see how there's been a cultural shift on what is funny and what is not (ie. being like a girl isn't an insult anymore).

• Love 1

Good point about the online eps, solo. And why do those pistachio commercials have to be twice as loud? Ugh.

I remember Colbert talking about the shift in tone, especially on correspondent pieces, when Jon came on. He suggested that things were a bit more mean-spirited in the Kilborn era. It sounds like the friendly piece was still in that vein. It may have been a Fresh Air interview, or some such.

I also saw a "he must be gay" type joke that doesn't really fit with the current tone of the show.

It was so long ago. I think the TDS we know and love really started to take shape around the 2000 election campaigns and really took off after 9/11.

Clicked onto the Month of Zen site today, just in time to watch Jon's first TDS broadcast into Canada (yay!). They had Vance DeGeneres entering our "dark mysterious land", Tom Green, as Jon's guest, decked out as an Ottawa Senators player and trying to explain Canadian bacon to Jon and the audience, and the Daily Show Singers (Stephen, Steve, Mo Rocca, and Beth Littleford) singing Canadian songs in the form of American music. Good times.

(edited)

I see we're discussing the Month of Zen in 2 threads and figured we should have a dedicated place for it. Mods delete if it's unnecessary.

As of right now, it's still 1999, September 21st to be exact. Donnie and Marie Osmond guys. A correspondent named Rich Brown? He's doing a piece about this guy dressed as a rabbit mascot...it's kind of mean. Maybe it's not supposed to be, but the audience is laughing in places that make it incredibly mean spirited.

Edited by solotrek

Heh, questionmark desk. 

Indecision 2000 Bush v. McCain, boy how things could have been different had McCain won the Republican nomination, or even the Presidency back then.

I like that they eventually moved the interviews to the end of the show, it seemed too jarring in the middle. If they wanted the interview to go long, they couldn't do that without cutting other bits they had prepared.

• Love 1
(edited)

They're right in the midst of the 2000 shows right now, so a lot of political humor, though not as much as in later years. If the Daily Show had been as popular then as it is now, I find it hard to believe Dubya would have been elected. He was such a goober. Jon really didn't need to make jokes about him. Just rolling the video of him trying to talk while looking like Alfred E Newman was funny enough.

I didn't watch the show back then, so this is fascinating for me. It's like watching a cultural time capsule.

Edited by SpiritSong
  • Love 1

June 5, 2000. Just saw the strangest Even Stevphen. They devolve to finger puppets. It's hilarious, Colbert and Carrell are such a great team. Jon seems  A LOT more comfortable and his suits are normal sized now. Penn and Teller are the guests.

• Love 1

Yes, I noticed his wardrobe in 2000 started being provided by Calvin Klein instead of Kenneth Cole. Thank god!

I noticed Tommy Hilfiger in 1999 as well. At lot of clothing changes.

(edited)

They also have Minions and the Svedka ad.

2000 Democratic National Convention in LA, husband and I are laughing our asses off. Stevphens, Vance, Mo, and Nancy are all great.

Edited by solotrek

I haven't seen any other ads at all - wonder if it is AdBlock? I'm only seeing those four CC spots ad nauseum.

I'm using AdBlock. Right now it's the Pepsi commercia, the Laquinta commercial, the Svedka commercial and the Minions one on repeat.

August 18, 2000. Bob Dole is the guest.

• Love 1

December 11, 2000. Ira Glass! Ira just basically called Jon the standard of journalism in the US. Courting Disaster is what they call the Bush v. Gore thing. Show has really found it's voice.

Has this been mentioned on the front page here? It should be!

They are at June 6, 2001 now.

I definitely want to watch the mid September 2001 to early November 2001 shows. Hard viewing, but it will be educational.

I hope people here keep posting what date they're up to. It'll help the rest of us target tuning in for specific shows/periods.

Really weird? Hearing Jon do a Taliban story on June 6 2001 (as I type this, it just came up on the stream).

Wow. Colbert is the "reporter" Jon throws to for this Taliban story. He's the "Senior Himalaya Correspondent" standing in front of a fake looking shot of snow covered mountains. Apparently at this point the Daily Show was convinced Afghanistan should be shown that way rather than anything desert-y.

• Love 1
(edited)

Do we know which days the show was "dark" in September 2001? Letterman was dark for 8 days and I think he was one of the first shows back.

EDIT - A little Googling seems to indicate September 20 was the first day back for TDS.

I haven't seen too much coverage of the marathon anywhere, to be honest. On the AV Club last week and maybe Vulture too? But that's about it.

Yeah, but I'd think it would fit right into the kind of stuff they cover here. I wonder if they even know about it (I don't see any Moderator user names in this thread so maybe not). Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1

Has this been mentioned on the front page here? It should be!

They are at June 6, 2001 now.

I definitely want to watch the mid September 2001 to early November 2001 shows. Hard viewing, but it will be educational.

I hope people here keep posting what date they're up to. It'll help the rest of us target tuning in for specific shows/periods.

Really weird? Hearing Jon do a Taliban story on June 6 2001 (as I type this, it just came up on the stream).

Wow. Colbert is the "reporter" Jon throws to for this Taliban story. He's the "Senior Himalaya Correspondent" standing in front of a fake looking shot of snow covered mountains. Apparently at this point the Daily Show was convinced Afghanistan should be shown that way rather than anything desert-y.

I'll forward the message on to editorial, @Kromm.

• Love 1

Well if the schedule there is right, then the post 9-11 shows are this coming morning:

9/20/2001 (Post 9/11 Clip Show) Fri 7/03, 11:23 AM 24:00

9/24/2001 Frank Rich Fri 7/03, 11:47 AM 24:00

9/25/2001 Aaron Brown Fri 7/03, 12:11 PM 24:00

9/26/2001 Jeff Greenfield Fri 7/03, 12:35 PM 24:00

• Love 1

I met Sam Donaldson once. He really IS kind of a dick.

They Might Be Giants, your tour starts tomorrow...!

Yeah. Ouch.

That monologue is still incredibly hard to watch.

I think Letterman's approach (he came back first) was the one people needed at the time, but Stewart's speech is the one that kind of gets you in the gut now.

First full episode coming on now...

(edited)

April 22, 2002. I'm surprised they haven't uploaded clips from this episode. Stephen Colbert busting his French language in a noir setting is so.... sexy. 

And now it's May 14, 2002, A.K.A., the TDS 'reunion' episode. It's gonna be inception once the past correspondents, staff and guests will return to salute Jon and his legacy in the final weeks. I wonder if Stephen is still not fond of this masturbatory event. Unlike this 'reunion show' parody, the REAL reunion will bring me to tears. Y_Y

Edited by The Luvly Junkie
  • Love 2
(edited)

July 24, 2002: Tuned in just in time to see a story about the Pope visiting Canada and how lightly attended it was, and lots of intimations from Jon that it has to do with the "Church sex scandals in the news since January".

Also, jokes about how "gay" Canada is.

Ah, 2002.

Hmm. And it's odd watching 4:3. Even though I believe TDS only switched over to 16:9 like 5 years ago.

July 25: Jon jokes about how aggressive the DOW was that week (the 400 point rise the day before).  "We're back baby!"  Remember though this was in the middle of the market taking a beating otherwise.

Also, speaking of nostalgia, Steve Carell makes a "P.T. Cruiser" joke.  "It's so new but it looks so old!"

Edited by Kromm

The mercifully brief Lauren Weedman tenure. If only Ed Helms' stint had been as short.

He was on the July 24 show I talked about upthread, and yeah, I was shocked how utterly terrible he was.

(edited)

August 8, 2002:  Anthrax and people stealing money from ATMs in downtown Manhattan after 9/11 are the stories I tune into this time.  Also a non-self-conscious joke about Anna Nicole Smith (who's still alive).

Then, Ed Helms is on again and is again dreadfully shitty and unfunny.

Steve Carell and Nancy Walls are up next and kill it though, with a fake entertainment report about Angelina Jolie and Billy Bob Thornton splitting up. Also a very early joke about Angelina adopting a foreign kid (which became a staple of Angelina Jolie humor for years to follow).

Paul Rudd is on and talks about just getting a TiVo.  Jon talks about how fancy-shmancy he is.  Whooooo 2002!

August 12 (the next show):  Jon opens up with a statement apologizing for being so harsh last episode about how bad The Anna Nicole Show is. The cringe moment (only many years in retrospect) is the follow-up joke he makes about how he won't be surprised if they have a cliff-hanger where the viewers aren't sure if Anna committed suicide or not. Yes, that was actually the joke in 2002.

Edited by Kromm

They're up to Sept 9, 2002 now.

Tons of cutting jokes about Dubya.  Which in that period was rare on TV.  A piece about how Dubya stayed away from a global environmental summit that had wall to wall other world leaders. Colin Powell went in his stead and got booed and Jon makes a meal of that.

Ed Helms does a long piece about global warming.  I didn't laugh once. Stewart is shown laughing hard at the end of the piece though... so ugh. Apparently we really DO have to blame Helms tenure at the show on Stewart.

Okay, I was thinking the Sept 11, 2002 show might be interesting, but a quick check shows there WAS no Sept 11, 2002 show (despite it being a Wednesday).