Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E05: Pittsburgh Qualifying

• Start Topic

Pittsburgh, PA's historic Carrie Furnace will host the fifth qualifying round where competitors tackle two new obstacles, the Snake Crossing and the Wind Chimes. Returning veterans include Michelle Warnky and "Captain NBC" Jamie Rahn, while Olympian and Pittsburgh local Brianne McLaughlin and Harlem Globetrotter Flip White will take a shot at the course, along with University of Pittsburgh "vampire" professor Joel Brady and Team USA members Joe Moravsky and Elet Hall.

Shockingly nothing really annoyed me tonight.  I just really like Joe Moravsky - always have.  He seems legitimately humble and is just a very good competitor.  

I liked the "first" guy who finished - the walk on, former (sounds like) religious cult member.  

Michelle Warnky broke my heart there - she was soooooo close.  I had no doubt she'd get up the wall either.  

• Love 6

Good cross-section of ninja tonight. Wipeout of the night had to be the MMA fighter. She seemed nice, and she had a good backstory . . . but how can somebody that fit biff the Quintuple Steps? She's probably never going to here the end of that, even if she can kick ass.

Bummer about Michelle Warnky wiping out on the Devil Steps, though it's nice that she went far enough to qualify for the next round. And Joe the Weatherman Ninja (WeatherNinja?) did a great job. I was kinda/sorta expecting his cousin to be in attendance Maybe "Adonis" didn't want to take the focus from Joe's expectant wife?

ETA: Is next week a one-shot special, or is it another qualifier? An all-military edition sounds intriguing either way.

ETA2: Anybody else feel that the hosts should have worn the green wigs until the end of the episode after "Captain NBC" cleared the stage?

• Love 3

I was happy to see PJ Granger finish since he lives not that far away from me. I spent a lot of time in Bedford as a teenager. To me it sounded like they were trying to imply he was ex Amish. This is a very conservative Christian area though so it could be any number of churches he left though.

Glad the weatherman and Elet made it through. I thought for sure Michelle was getting through. Glad she will be in the finals.

I thought the wind chimes was the easiest new obstacle this season. Snake river didn't seem too bad once people figured out to jump.

All in all not a bad ep.

• Love 2

I wanted to stab my eardrums when Mr I'm a Single Father was going on and on and on about it. Yes, it can be difficult. It can be difficult for a single mom too and you're hardly the first so shut up that you're some unique being.

I wuod have hated that snake ladder.

• Love 2
(edited)

I kinda wish the 56 year old guy had made it through. Good episode over all, though the single dad guy was annoying. Did I hear right when he said that the kids' mom had mental health problems and left? Because from what I saw I think she might have just left him for him being self-centered j/k. 

Edited by william0102
  • Love 2
(edited)

I kinda wish the 56 year old guy had made it through.

I think a 56 year old guy did make it through, if we're thinking of the same guy. Early in the competition, African-American, gymnastics coach, wore blue shorts and tore through the course but didn't make the WW? He still qualified for the city finals.

ETA: Is next week a one-shot special, or is it another qualifier? An all-military edition sounds intriguing either way.

FWIW, if you go to the ANW page on the NBC website, it specifically says "Military Qualifying".

Edited by Quilt Fairy
  • Love 1

Yes, that single father annoyed me to no end.  I'm glad he's taking good care of his kids and all, but that's nothing that a huge number of people don't deal with on a regular basis.  Also, I thought the whole firefighter thing was a bit overdone, mainly by Akbar and Matt.  His boss is a jerk.

Michelle did a great job, and I was sorry she just missed on the Devil Steps.  I was also glad to see Joe Morovsky and Elet Hall do so well.  They're two of my favorite professional-type competitors.  Does anyone know if the CF guy made it through on time?

• Love 2

Joe Weatherman Morovsky is my favorite ninja ever, so glad to see him again. Like the announcers said, he looks like some normal guy, yet he flies through those courses and yet doesn't showboat or show off. So he comes across as looking and ACTING normally, the polar opposite of his (ugh) cousin.

Had a laugh at the cage fighter woman who had a gigantic backstory, then fell less than one second into the course. Please.

Elet is also one of my favorites, so good to see him again.

Liked the walk-on guy who waited 10 days, taking baths in the local river while he waited. Hope he goes far. He had a good backstory, makes a good role model like some others on this show. I hope he sticks it out.

• Love 4

While the single Dad went on too much about his kids, I was at least happy to see someone in their 40's do as well as he did. He and the 56 year old seemed to have raised the average age of the competitors this week.

Also, I wonder if Captain NBC realizes just how much that outfit emphasizes his peacock at times? Sorry, couldn't resist an NBC logo pun.

Bummer about Michelle Warnky wiping out on the Devil Steps, though it's nice that she went far enough to qualify for the next round. And Joe the Weatherman Ninja (WeatherNinja?) did a great job. I was kinda/sorta expecting his cousin to be in attendance Maybe "Adonis" didn't want to take the focus from Joe's expectant wife?

The Adonis competed already in a different qualifying round.  I think maybe Venice?

Also, I wonder if Captain NBC realizes just how much that outfit emphasizes his peacock at times? Sorry, couldn't resist an NBC logo pun.

I know. It reminded me of the ER doc's gold lamé outfit from last year.

The Adonis competed already in a different qualifying round.  I think maybe Venice?

It was just surprising he wasn't in the audience to cheer Weatherman on, and to get more face time on teevee. Maybe his new Hollywood career is keeping him in California.

He competed in Venice where he wiped out on the second obstacle. It was glorious. AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!! Then he tried to show of his "acting" ability in the interview, and looked like a damn fool there too.

• Love 3
(edited)

Good cross-section of ninja tonight. Wipeout of the night had to be the MMA fighter. She seemed nice, and she had a good backstory . . . but how can somebody that fit biff the Quintuple Steps? She's probably never going to here the end of that, even if she can kick ass.

ETA2: Anybody else feel that the hosts should have worn the green wigs until the end of the episode after "Captain NBC" cleared the stage?

on whatever season of The Ultimate Fighter Felice Herrig was on, she was part of the "mean" girl pack that tried to bully/ostracize some of the other female fighters. Maybe it was just the environment that got to her but I am not a fan. She is not one of the top 10 female fighters but I understand the boasting which seems common with some. I was not sad to see her go out on the quintuple steps like she did.

The host should have worn the green wigs for the entire episode!

Edited by Vicky8675309

I was happy to see PJ Granger finish since he lives not that far away from me. I spent a lot of time in Bedford as a teenager. To me it sounded like they were trying to imply he was ex Amish. This is a very conservative Christian area though so it could be any number of churches he left though.

Glad the weatherman and Elet made it through. I thought for sure Michelle was getting through. Glad she will be in the finals.

I thought the wind chimes was the easiest new obstacle this season. Snake river didn't seem too bad once people figured out to jump.

All in all not a bad ep.

Amish. Interesting. I did not think of that option but it makes a lot of sense. I hope he didn't get fired from his job since he went to one location and didn't get placed as a walk on so he then came to this one and waited 10 days as a walk on….that is a lot of time off from work.

I kinda wish the 56 year old guy had made it through. Good episode over all, though the single dad guy was annoying. Did I hear right when he said that the kids' mom had mental health problems and left? Because from what I saw I think she might have just left him for him being self-centered j/k. 

I thought the 56 year old made it based on him going "far enough fast enough". The single dad said his ex-wife left or went away because she had "mental health problems". I remember she was referred to as an "ex" because I thought it could be a bad "edit" since it sounded like he divorced someone who was ill (mentally ill but that is still ill…whatever but it stuck in my head). I thought he was annoying but handsome. Overall I got a bad impression of him and I usually root for the older people.

Does anyone remember what Joe Morovsky's occupation was listed as?  Wondering if he's become an 'obstacle course trainer' or 'gym owner' yet...

Under his name it said Meteorologist but, good question, that is just his training/degree. It did not say if he was still working as a weatherman. Does anyone know if he is?