Type keyword(s) to search

Sandor Clegane: He's No Ser!

Fen
  • Start Topic

Interesting to see where the Hound goes in season 4.  Given both his and Arya's tendency to sulk, snap,and murder - I can't imagine it'll be the best roadtrip. :)

Sandor is one of the best characters in the series (both book and show) and I'm greatly looking forward to his story on screen this season. I suspect there will be some necessary changes in adaptation, however. And although he's no knight by name, he's a hell of a better person than his brother and far more deserving of the title.

Edited by NJ RadioGuy

I like The Hound but it's always bothered me that one of the most popular ships is Sansa and Sandor. I mean, I get that beautiful innocence coupled with tortured soul will always be popular. But in this case it's just so off the walls weird to me. What would the even talk about?

I am however quite excited to see Arya and The Hound adventuring together.

Edited by jellysalmon

I can get behind Sansa/Sandor in theory, but she's supposed to be around 13*.  Even if we age her up to 18, it's still a huge age difference, not to mention the maturity difference.  It doesn't help that I dislike Sansa.  I know she is doing her best in a world she doesn't understand, surrounded by people she does not trust.  Whenever she is on screen, I'm bored.

On the other hand, I'm loving the Hound.  He deserves better than Sansa.

*This is also why I can't ship Arya with anyone.  She's 11.  Romance with 6th graders doesn't work for me.

• Love 1

I've been shipping San/San for a while, knowing it could probably never happen (for many reasons). If it were anybody but GRRM, I could see Sansa as Queen In The North, or perhaps Regent for Bran or Rickon, with Sandor as captain of her Queensguard and a loyal friend. But it probably won't happen.

Not a San/San shipper. I like the character and his scenes with Arya are some of my favorites. I think show Sansa is older than 13...but I don't remember her exact age, same with Arya. They aged up all the kids for the show. However the age difference isn't the issue for me. He's just too creepy/obsessed and Sansa isn't really emotionally mature enough for anyone.

I actually liked her with Tyrion under better circumstances, but the forced marriage and history between the families doomed that from the start. If Arya were 10 years or so older, I could see her as more of a match for the hound. He respects her and she wouldn't put up with his pity party tendencies.

(edited)

I'm not shipping him with anyone, but I am enjoying the hell out of him and Arya.

Basically, she's Elwood Blues, the physically weaker straight-laced one whose obsession with mission drives them right into dangerous situations, and she's even little enough to fill up on two pieces of dry white toast. She's also the one more prone to lying about her identity. Elwood used Wrigley Fields as his driver's license address, Arya pretended to be a boy for as long as her appearance would allow.

And Sandor is Jake Blues, the tough guy with a checkered past who has more feelings than he likes to admit, although still far less than a traditional nice person. He seems like he'd be the alpha of the duo, yet he constantly gets pulled into his partner's latest crazy path, and tends to just shrug and go along with it, winding up as a dominant contributor to the chaos. If there wasn't already a thread dedicated to him, I was going to start one and call it "Four Fried Chickens and a Massacre."

Edited by CletusMusashi
  • Love 2

I'm not shipping him with anyone, but I am enjoying the hell out of him and Arya.

San/San grosses me out but I love the Paper Moon thing he has going with Arya.  

He got his chicken and she got her pony (and Needle).  I call that a successful day.

• Love 1

I find myself divided on the Hound. I mean, on the one hand, he's an absolute monster. But I'll be damned if I don't find his protectiveness towards Arya and Sansa downright adorable. It's such a strange combo.

I loved seeing him with his chicken and Arya with her horse at the end of the premiere. It's like he felt that she'd earned it after killing that guy. A symbol of his grudging respect for her?

And I love how he give zero fucks about minding his language around her. He doesn't coddle her at all and I think Arya actually kind of appreciates that.

• Love 3

One of my favorite moments is during the Hand's tournament in S1, as the Hound steps into a fight with his brother. The moment Robert stands up and yells them to stop, the Hound kneels in front of the king instantly while the Mountain's sword swings over his head.

• Love 3
(edited)

Saw someone in another thread comment about the chicken calling it "Colonel Sandors Fried Chicken" and burst out laughing.

That was me--but I put it in that Spoiler thread because I don't think the Hound's first name has been mentioned yet on the show.  And the Unsullied do read these character threads.

ETA:  Never mind, duh... His first name is right there in the thread title!  duh...

Edited by joliefaire

I think Lord Beric used his name during his "trial", if anyone wants to check.

Looks like the Hound has chosen "Fuck the king" as his new catchphrase. He's now repeated it twice since Blackwater, the other time being when he told Arya he wasn't taking her to King's Landing.

Looks like the Hound has chosen "Fuck the king" as his new catchphrase.

Can anyone remind me when/why The Hound adopted this awesome and hilarious policy? I seem to think that something happened to make him 'quit' but I simply cannot remember what the event was...

The Battle of the Blackwater.  He was surrounded by soldiers on fire and decided he was over it.  Oh, and during that same battle he said some variation of "Fuck the king" right to Joffrey's face.  It was a moment of awesome.

The Battle of the Blackwater.  He was surrounded by soldiers on fire and decided he was over it. 

Ah, that's ringing a bell. I guess he kind of flashbacked to his brother burning him when they were kids?

Oh, and during that same battle he said some variation of "Fuck the king" right to Joffrey's face.  It was a moment of awesome.

Yeah, I couldn't remember the event but I do remember thinking that it had been awesome. And now I know which episode to re-watch. Thank you!! :)

I found this in the web, it's hilarious.

HA! So I'll be forwarding that to everyone I know who watches the show. Heh. I love the internet...

Edited by NoWillToResist

I don't know about flashback at the Blackwater, but yeah, as a result of his childhood trauma he is rightfully terrified of fire. This bit is essential to fully appreciating his duel w Dondarrion and his flaming sword. Which by the way, is easily my favorite fight of the show. Superbly choreographed.

Edited by Haldebrandt
  • Love 1

I guess he kind of flashbacked to his brother burning him when they were kids?

He's just about terrified of fire.  There's a moment when they're up on the battlements - before the fighting has even started - and he flinches when another soldier passes too close with a torch.  He manages to fight until he sees the man on fire running towards him, and that's when he freezes. 

• Love 2

When Sansa asked the Hound "What about the King", the Hound responded "The king can die just fine on his own".

When Arya asked the Hound why he didn't have any money, and couldn't he have stolen money from Joffrey, the Hound said he wasn't a thief and that a man has to have a code.

Later, when the Hound stole the money from the farmer who was nice enough to house and feed the Hound & Arya for a night, the Hound justified it by saying the farmer would be dead by winter.

I'm sensing a discrepancy here.

Plus, why did Arya ask why the Hound didn't have any money?  She was still a "guest" of the Brotherhood when they took the Hounds money and gave him an IOU.  If she wasn't in that scene, why didn't the Hound just tell her about the Brotherhood IOU?

• Love 3

I see the same discrepancy, but what does it mean? Are his claims of having a code exaggerated? Did he simply feel stupid admitting to Arya that he got all his money taken away, so he tried to put a more "honorable" spin on it, at least until he just didn't give a damn any more? Or does it mean that his code is degenerating?

• Love 2

I see the same discrepancy, but what does it mean? Are his claims of having a code exaggerated? Did he simply feel stupid admitting to Arya that he got all his money taken away, so he tried to put a more "honorable" spin on it, at least until he just didn't give a damn any more? Or does it mean that his code is degenerating?

I think there's a strong element of making it up as he goes along.

• Love 1

I took his code remark as a glib response to Arya. I think the Hound does have some standards, like killing children is kosher only under orders. But he tries not to think of such things and covers up his wrongdoing with almost nihilistic thinking so he can live with himself. Like Jaime he's been disillusioned of any childhood dreams of knioghthood--remember it was a wooden knight toy Gregor caught him playing with, then Gregor went on to become an anointed knight--but Sandor is more bitter and cynical because having your face melted by your own brother is even worse than watching a crazy king execute people by burning them alive.

• Love 1

I think I now understand the Hound's armor choice. As a former KIngsguard, I've kind of been wondering why he never upgraded to a full suit of plate armor. (Minus the helmet, obviously- no main characters are allowed to have head protection! Which, when you think about, explains a lot about some of them...) He obviously recognizes its usefulness. Just watch the chicken scene in "Two Swords" where he repeatedly uses his arms, which do have plate armor, to block heavy sword chops while he's on the floor. And simply wearing more plate wouldn't be any heavier than the lamellar over maille combo that he rocks instead.
But Brienne's difficulty getting in and out of it without help could be the answer. When trouble is starting, can you honestly see Sandor Clegane wanting to sit still while somebody else laces up his armor for him? His normal protection consists of a long shirt and a vest, basically. Two things that he can put right on with no fuss or bother. It wouldn't even surprise me if the arm plating were riveted directly onto the maille sleeves.

HA!  The Hound and his chickens makes it to late night comedy.

OMG!!  That Kimmel/KFC clip has me on the floor with tears streaming from my eyes.  I cant catch my breath.  LOL!!

I'm kinda disappointed Sandor didn't repeat his "I'm no ser" line instead of just telling Brienne he wasn't a knight, it could have been his second catchphrase.

Not looking to get into another debate about Arya's treatment of him, but what are everyone's thoughts on what Sandor's last words said about him? I'm not really a SanSan shipper, but I thought his lines about her were very revealing. At first he's genuinely regretting not doing more to save her from the Lannisters, then he remembers he's trying to provoke his own death, not do a deathbed confession, so he throws in the line about fucking her bloody. But I think the one happy memory line was sincere and showed he did have a thing for Sansa.

Was he physically unable to kill himself? I didn't get that impression. Or was afraid to do it himself, not unlike the peasant he gave the gift of mercy to?

Was he physically unable to kill himself? I didn't get that impression. Or was afraid to do it himself, not unlike the peasant he gave the gift of mercy to?

He lost his sword early in the fight, and I assume he lost the dagger when he went over the cliff. Short of beating himself over the head with a rock, he really doesn't have any means of killing himself left.

(edited)

Ah, adoy doy, I had forgotten about losing his sword, because I was thinking "do you remember where the heart is?" meant he needed Arya to take his sword. But I guess the line had no literal purpose, because just slitting his throat seems simpler than Arya removing his armor to stab him in the heart.

Edited by Lady S.

The Season 4 Blu-rays feature a group interview of the actors who were killed off in the season, and guess who's conspicuously absent? We definitely haven't seen the last of him.